Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• orienteoriente Member Posts: 44
    Thank you bluestar1; does make sense, and the Mid Year strategy; sure, why not?

wwest, I hear you, but you are "west" and oriente means "east"......Hey! waiting will let me peek at the Cadillac STS (Seville)in January, and just this morning I got additional gossip in support of the SWB A8 coming.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    Hybrid RX-Late next year 2004
    New GS-January or February of 2005
    LX-shortly thereafter
    IS-pretty much same as LX

No speculation on new LS, but Blue star could be pretty accurate with Year 2006, modeled as a 2007.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Do you work for Lexus?
    But that is what my job description says :) Speaking of which, where are all the customers today to chauffer me around? :)
    I'm hoping the next LS will be MY2006 rather than 07...please let us know if you hear anything down the road.
    And if there are any other questions I can help with (besides price since that is the job for your local and not-so local dealer) let me know.
  • wood142wood142 Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 2000 Lexus ls 400 and I need an owners manual,a remote for the doors and,if possible,a service/shop manual.Car is equipped with the touch screen navigation system and I am trying to figure out how it all works.I do not intend to work on the car myself,but want to familiarize myself with where things are located on the car...So far,love the car.Had a 1995 Cadillac before buying this car,and it is a world of difference...
    Any helpful or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I am on Long Island in NY ,and would also appreciate any comments on dealers in the area...Thanks.
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    I own a '99 which is pretty much same as yours. An owner's manual can be obtained form the dealership or buy one from ebay for $10 or so. Operating the touch screen Nav is real easy. Just fiddle around with it. If you have any specific question(s), I'm sure there'll be plenty of help out here for you.

Congrats on the purchase.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    What is the space for instead of an ash tray? How to remove it for 2004 LS, Thanks in advance. swiftm
    Just call 800-usa-lexus and they mail you an owners manual...I just did this for my 2000 LX.
  • dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    Ready to go with the 04 LS, BUT while I think the EuroSport is for me, the dealer (Catena) has none available to test drive. Has no idea when there will be one to test drive.
    I've been driving the 98 GS400 for 5 years and hope the EuroSport LS would give me the firmness I like with less harshness over the broken streets and railroad crossings. Test drove the standard LS and I could be happy with it, but it seems crazy to decide without testing the EuroSport with which I might be happier.
    Please, somemore input from those of you who own or have driven the 04 EuroSport knowing where I'm coming from. Seems to be a lot of tests and opinion on the 03 and earlier, but the 18 inch wheels and the lower profile tires may change all that.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would think EuroSport would basically be a suspension tuning for the high speeds allowed there. Lack of "softness" in steering and handling, quick and responsive manuerverablity, at 80MPH and above.

Speeds not generally achieveable in the US.

It seems to me that the result of having EuroSport suspensions available in the US would result in most of the punishment (harsher ride)without any of the joy.

Might it be better to have the air suspension and set it on "hard(??)" if and when you want responsiveness?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Can you put 18" wheels on any new LS or is it limited to the sport suspension models. Also are the GX470's with camera coming over in December?
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Just wanted to add my thanks to you for posting the instructions on how to change the Nav DVD in the LS430. It gave me the courage to order the DVD from lexus-parts.com and install it myself.

For those who may have missed it, it was Message 4769.
    I recently bought the above car and would like to get some opinions on the keys for the wheel locks,as the dealer did not have them to give me when I picked up the car.Most wheel locks are made by McGard,but since I dont have a key for the present locks,what is the best procedure to get the current locks off?Car is the Platinum edition with the special Lexus wheels.Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    As an aside,I used to be a loyal Cadillac owner,but got worn out with the unreliability of the brand.I felt as if I was in an abusive relationship with an inanimate object....that damned Cadillac...!!After driving the Lexus for a few days,I wont be going back to Cadillac...ever again .
  • zdudezdude Member Posts: 22
    I don't know if this applies to you but on the new models the wheel lock key is located on the lug wrench next to the spare tire. Check that out.
    That's also where it was on my 1998 LS400 which was the first year of the 3 year cycle that ended in 2000. In fact I believe it was in the same place on my 95 LS400.

There's no comparison between an LS400/430 and the top end Caddy's. Lexus plays in a different world. Good luck with the car.
    Make it the selling dealer's problem to solve, as well it should be.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I just came across this review in another busy day at work. :)
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/04ls430.htm
  • carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    I have an 04LS w/sport. I think wwest is right except about the 80 mph speed. It is great at 40 hangs with the BMW 5's. If you have any doubt get the standard and use the hard button. Seven hundred miles and I like mine alot. It is just what I expected rides and handles great, harsh on cracks, tracks are not a problem.I did put on Michelin pilots a/s. My first Lexus and it is all I dreamed.
  • jrasskuljrasskul Member Posts: 11
    So, you can put on all season tires if you order the car this way? I was told only summer tires.
    Just a brief note to say,"Thank You", to the memebers of this forum who got me pointed in the right direction re the wheel locks....they were in a case/pouch that contained a few other tools and was stored in a pocket above and to the right of the spare tire.I called 1-800-Lexus USA and they will mail me an owners manual at no charge...another suggestion from a very helpful member of this forum.
    I had been a loyal Cadillac owner for the past 18 years,but my early driving and ownership impression of the Lexus is that Cadillac is not in the same league re build quality,customer service,driving impression or marketing savvy.Thus far,I am very pleased.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I read the article, and was just wondering if the ls430 is in fact as expensive as they say?? That number is way up there. Tony
    That was Canadian dollars.
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    I am thinking about bringing my own Mobil 1 oil for the next oil change on my '03 LS430. They sell it in containers of 1 quart or 5 quarts. Will 5 quarts be enough for a change with filter or should I buy more?

Also, now that I am complaining about Lexus engineering...the quality cannot be beat...but how come Mercedes and BMW have moved to 10,000 to 15,000 oil changes...with synthetic I think...and Lexus has not? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know someone will say it's best to change oil as often as possible, but it does seem like less frequent changes with better oil is the way of the future.

Daryll40

Although I would like to see Lexus get away from the timing belt.

Seems compleltely unecessary in this day and age.

They should be able to find a way to quiet the chains down with some kind of acoustical cover.
    Back in the early ninties it was the Lexus dealers that became aggressive about earlier and earlier preventative maintenance procedures. Some even printing their own brochures and claiming factory origin.

With the engineering design "standard of the industry", the Porsche 911, having now recommended 15k oil changes I would think a few people would begin to get the message.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    at my Lexus dealership is at 5K intervals. I am quite comfortable with this. A 10K - 15K seems quite a lot of driving in-between change.

wwest: are you suggesting that 15K oil change interval is OK ?
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    be at 7500 mile intervals. Your dealer, as with mine, is "touting" the 5000 "severe service" interval as the "normal" (revenue enhancing) interval. Consumer Reports proved that doing oil changes more frequently than THE FACTORY recommendations is a waste of money.

Anyway, again I ask how many quarts for LS430 from bone dry including filter?
    For the 92 LS w/filter change.
    No, each to "his" own, but hopefully without undue influence from a price gouging dealer.

My C4 gets its oil/filter changed once a year, in the spring, regardless of mileage, 12k at this point.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    According to CNBC, Infiniti had the biggest jump in luxury line sales last quarter at +41%, with their FX45 SUV fueling a +86% increase in SUV sales. Lexus was 2nd with +8.6%. Mercedes was -2% and 6th. Mercedes is also offering 2.9% financing on the entire line. So! go and get your V-12 S600 at 2.9% APR for those of you longing for a V12 in your future LS.
    I think MB is starting to fall in the court of public opinion now. The buying public overlooked the quality issues for awhile but that's no longer the case with the people I know. Whereas many of these people spoke in awe about them in the past they are now looking to other brands - mainly Lexus and BMW for their replacement cars much the way you did. Personally I think MB is stretched too far by trying to be all things to all people and at the same time figuring out what to do with Chrysler.

By the way the V-8 is sufficient for me.

The gain at Infiniti shows that you don't necessarily need the flagship sedan to be a big success to make a comeback.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Just as a point of reference. I purchased an 84 Toyota Cressida NEW and changed oil at half the manufacturers recommendations(7500 miles)so I changed oil and filter every 3750 miles. I was religious about it and I sold the after 19 years and 235,000 miles. The engine had never been worked on. No valve jobs, ring jobs or anything. After 19 years the engine was just as it was when it came from the factory new, it had never been opened for anything.
    With my LS I don't put as many miles on the car so I change on the 6 month schedule and everything seems fine.
    Ron
    Got the numbers from Lexus CS. Twenty(20) 03 LS 430UL with Black Cherry Pearl and Bordeaux Interior were shipped to the US. At least I won't see myself coming and going with this combo.
    Ron
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Actually the 2.9% doesn't extend to the entire line, it excludes the SL, CLK, CL and all AMG models. I seriously doubt if the S600 is part of any special offer.

M
    Lexus CS states that they shipped 21,461 LS 430's to US for MY 03.
    Ron
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Those are only sales percentage increases, not overall sales of course. Since Infiniti's sales were just about a rounding error a year ago, it's not surprising the FX and G35 have livened up sales a lot. Taking sales from 1 to 3 is a 200% increase! :)
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    Anybody know how much the 2004 DVD costs when upgrading from the 2003 DVD?
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    What do you mean by 'Those are only sales percentage increases, not overall sales of course.' ?

Your comment that Infiniti's 2002 sales were a rounding error is silly.

Infiniti sold 63,864 vehicles in 12 months ending 10/2002, and that +41% increase in SALES bumped that to 89,856. If you said that about Volvo, Jaguar, Porsche or Saab; you would have a valid point. For comparison purpose: Acura sold 126,227 for the same period. Acura was down 2.2% from 129,073 in 2002. Mercedes sold 153,692 in 2002.

Lexus was number 2 at 169,540, behind BMW.

For us LS fans, 18643 by 10/2003. Ron posted the 11/2003 update above. So the 2004 additions made a big splash!
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    My point was Infiniti doesn't have 41% of luxury car sales or anything, as you said, THEIR sales were up 41%. But if you're starting from a low number that's not very impressive.

Despite the 'huge' gain in sales, as you pointed out, Infiniti still only sells HALF as many cars as Lexus.

But there's no question the G35 and FX are hits which is great. The rest of the line though... not very impressive. I35 (yawn). QX4 (snore). Q45 (very nice, styling not for everyone though). M45 (so 80's, but fast).
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Owning an "01 LS 430 and recently at the local auto show, I checked out the "changes" on the '04. Being an auto afficianado, altho not a gearhead, I was unimpressed with the '04. The changes are subtle at best and the dash is looking dated compared to other new designs IMHO. Of course, I did not drive the car and others have pointed out definitive improvements, especially with the Euro package. I'm not saying the car does not remain a benchmark, but I feel a change and true update is really due. Yup, I'll wait till 2005 or is it 2006?
  • niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    This Lexus CS...is that some internet accessible site where we can see what is being provided to the US market by Lexus?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The '95 LS 400 that I bought on ebay 3 weeks ago
    arrived by transport today.
    It is pretty much as i expected.
    There are more nicks on the hood and a few more scratches than I though there would be .
    The seller also didn't tell me that the hood struts don't work.
    The engine is pinging a little so i filled it up with 93 octane and will see if that helps.
    For $9775 I don't see how I could have done any better.
    I will keep you guys updated.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    When Mobile 1 was first introduced more than 30 years ago, Popular Mechanics or was it Popular Science tested it in a Lincoln. They ran the engine for 100,000 miles with the same oil but changed the filters at specified intervals. After 100,000 miles they tore down the engine and found virtually no wear after not changing the oil for 100,000 miles. That said something to me, and I've been using Mobile 1 ever since.

Unfortunately, changing at least every 7500 miles is mandated by Lexus to preserve the warranty. Come on Lexus, you are ahead of times in most every thing else--it's time to play catch-up in this area.
    Lexus CS is Lexus Customer Satisfaction. It is not available on the internet only by phone. The number is 1-800-25lexus.
    Ron
    Can be reached by email at:

customer_satisfaction_inquiries@Lexus.com

Spaces between words have underlines.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Sorry about all those old messages I inadvertently copied into my post #5084.

I was trying to ask Feverhart just how Lexus makes it known that an oil change interval greater than 7500 miles voids the warranty??? And does changing the oil yourself rather than at a Lexus dealer also void the warranty?
    I recently bought a 2000 Lexus LS400 and want to replace the broken amber running light lens in the right front bumper(passenger side),but do not see how to gain access to change the lens.No outward screws to loosen,so I am puzzled.Would appreciate comments and suggestions on how to replace the lens and where and how I can get access to same.Thank You.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Good point. Warranty would be voided if there were an engine problem and Lexus reasoned that it was due to untimely oil changes. You can change oil and filter (as I do)and remain under warranty but it should be backed up with records of changes and receipts for oil and filters.