Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Where does Lexus recommend putting the bluetooth phone in the car? The small drawer with the rubber liner just below the CD changer?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    To Chicagoed - leave the phone in your pocket. I never take my phone out while in my LS unless I am talking on it, reach my destination and turn off the car. At that point, I take the phone out of my pocket and push a button on my phone (Nokia 6310i) to continue the conversation. I have also been talking with my phone to my ear, got into the car and started it--the nav system takes over the call and I continue my conversation hands free, putting my phone back in my pocket. I like this much better than the car kit I had installed in my last LS430.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    For those of you in a competitive market, you should check out Costco's automobile buying service. It is simple to use and I went to the preferred salesman at my dealership and was quoted an initial price of $3175 over invoice for a 2004 Modern Luxury. Because I was buying two of them at once (for a family member also), I was able to get them to take $2500 on each vehicle. I was lucky enough to get another $500 off that because of the Chicago Auto show deal so I think I did well but even the $3175 over invoice is a better deal than what I've seen quoted on this site and club lexus.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Very good advise on pricing; some dealer may have better deal with AAA than Costco, ask to compare price. swiftm
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    Re: post 5441. I purchased extended warranty for I plan to keep my 2001 LS 430 forever. I checked all Lexus dealers in Was, DC area and saved $400 off the original offer from my dealer. Suggest you shop around. I assume the warranty can be purchased via phone so you may not need to deal locally if you can get a better price somewhere else. FYI--I purchased thru Lexus of Silver Spring, MD.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Which warranty did you purchase and at what price? My local dealer wanted $1500 for a 6/70 no deductible warranty. I drive few enough miles that a 6/100 or 7/100, the only other options offered, don't make much sense for me.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Is a Cadillac SRX.
    I am enjoying the heck out of it.
    More headroom, but I will have to remove the
    sunshade because of the low windshield header.
    Blocks my upward vision.
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I purchased the Lexus, all inclusive, no deductible, 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty. Cost: $2100.
  • sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    The last update to the navigation DVD was in October 2003. It contained a lot more points of interest, but only limited street updates.

The update frequency was supposedly changed from every year to every six months, so that would make the next one available around April or so.

I'm a bit skeptical about this, myself, as I remember the promises of six month updates back when the LS430 came out in 2001. They'll need to come out with an update in the fall or the 2005 models won't have new data. So, they'll certainly release one then, if not sooner.

Personally, I'm holding out for the next one due to the high cost of the discs. Hard for me to do, as I could really use the update, but I'm not going to blow over $250 on it just to see a new one come out a few months later.

When the new one comes out, it'll be for sale at www.lexus-parts.com and your local dealer.

If anyone else has any more information about the navigation DVD updates, please post it.

Sean
    I wonder if there is a market amongst us for "used" DVDs, just one revision outdated?
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks Sean...I'll keep my ears open and will post something if I get some new news on the DVD update. I wrote an e-mail to Lexus Customer Service last week. If they respond I'll let you know what they said...
    Best regards,
    Jeff
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Once again CR rates the LS430 as top luxury car. As well see the WSJ link as posted by syswei on the High end board that says an 8 year old (1996) LS400 is found to be more reliable than a 2003 7-series.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/08/pf/autos/CR_best_cars/index.htm?c- nn=yes
    Back from my dealer today with another failure on their part to make a C-BEST option selection on my '04 LS which the owner's manual describes. On an earlier trip, they said they knew nothing about the light intensity adjustment described on page 114 of the manual. Today I asked for auto door locking at 12 mph as described on page 48, and they said there was no way to do that either. What experiences have you people had with these or other options? My dealer is 0 for 2.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...several C-BEST settings on my 03 LS. It took all of 15 minutes without a problem.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    What's with your dealer...my Lexus service had no problem with C-Best requests back in 2001; in fact, they expected them...even suggested some settings.
    My dealer says that the two option changes I requested (pg. 48 & 114) strangely aren't available on their "scanner", and they speculate that the '04 Owner's Manual is ahead of time, i. e., represents a yet to be delivered, future, LS!!!! Maybe their scanner is obsolete. Anyone else get their LS to autolock the doors at 12 mph rather than as soon as you leave PARK as pg. 48 describes?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Lexus and Lexus dealers seem to be going out of their way to HIDE the various c-best options. On my 01 RX they denied that the A/C could be unlinked from automatic operation and I got access to a list via the internet net, took it in and they were forced to acknowledge that the option existed.

Now mY A/C does not come on, even in defrost/defog/demist mode, unless I manually activate it.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I know there was quite a bit of discussion several months ago about the best tires for the 2004 LS430. Obviously, in the winter (snow climate), the best approach is to get a set of good snow tires. Before I installed a set of Cooper snow tires, I had a "devil of a time" on snow with the factory equipped Dunlops. The snow tires made a tremendous difference even though they are definitely noisier. Now that the snow season is rapidly coming to an end, my thoughts are back to all season tires. During those discussions back in the late fall of 2003, it appeared that the Michellin Pilot-AS were the best for the LS430 in terms of road noise, comfort, etc. After driving for more than one month back in the late fall with the factory equipped Dunlops, I can't say that I was very pleased with them. For one thing, they don't take the bumps on the road very well. Now that you folks have had a chance to drive the new LS430 for a longer period with various tires, what are your experiences and thoughts? Is it still the Michellin Pilot AS for the best all around tire or is it some other brand?
    I had that setting for the locks changed. This was because I had to unlock the doors everytime I reversed out of the garage so that my kids could get in. Now I reverse, everybody gets in, and the doors lock when I pull out on to the street.
    You described exactly the same situation that prompted me to ask my dealer yesterday to change to "autolock at 12 mph". When was yours done and what Lexus model and year was it? Is it possible that my dealer is not up to date with his "scanner"?
    The change was performed summer of last year. I had a previous 03 LS that I took delivery in November 02, and had this change done at that time too.

So this option has been around unchanged for a fairly long time, and I doubt that the scanner is the problem. I would suspect unwilling and/or incompetent service staff first, and a problem with the car's electronics next, and then on to other possible causes.

If you don't get anywhere with the dealership, give Lexus Cusotmer Service a direct call. They'll sort this out in short order.
    After my last post I did call Lexus Customer Service. While I was on hold they called another nearby Lexus dealer who told Customer Service that he could do it. Just to be sure, I called that dealer before driving there, and what do you know, after checking more fully, he finds out that he can't do it either. Right now he says he will check with Lexus engineering and call me back. Vcheng, you must have some pull!
  • a027418a027418 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody. With all of your help this past December I purchased the correct winter tires for my 1991 LS400. Now I need some reccommendations for summer / all season. Which is best and what brand of tires are the best. Thanks, Joe Maloney
    Had my third TPM false alarm today in 6 weeks of ownership. Each time I check all four tires with a gauge and then reset the INITIALIZE button when it has been proven that all four tires have the same pressure. What experience have others had?
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    When the temp hovered around zero degrees, my TPM alarmed several times after I pulled out of a warm garage. As the temperatures have warmed, I have not had to reset the alarm.
  • dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    I have had a number of TPM alerts that were false, mostly when it was very cold here in Jersey. Now that it's warmer I'm not getting them. After checking the first one as false due to extream cold, the next day I ignored another alert only to find when it was too late that I did indeed have a very flat tire with 300 miles on it.
    Cold temperatures may actually be causing the TPM to false alarm, but I am not ready to excuse the poor design of the TPM for that. After all, the TPM system is supposedly using monitoring of the relative speeds of the four wheels to determine if one is a smaller diameter than the others, and therefore low on pressure. Cold temperatures have nothing to do with affecting the actual rotational speed of the wheels - my false alarms were in driving on dry roads.
    If it gets really cold in comparison to the temperature when you last "reset" the TPM the system might think all four tires are low until they warm up via roadbed friction.
    I finally drove a GX today....SOLD..no questions but the price. I had to hide the big smile on my face. My LS430 lease is through LFS and ends in June, but my salesman thinks he can get them to take my car in early (maybe not after he hears what I pay).

I have not bought the GX yet and was wondering where to go with pricing on ML-NAV, 3rd, spoiler. I was quoted MSRP which I know I won't pay. I really like my dealership and salesman, but I am thinking $2500 over invoice can be done in the area. Any thoughts? Thanks

I guess I should have put this on the GX board.....
    I got it at $2500 under MSRP. Was supposed to be $2000 under but they threw in the spoiler - a $600 item - for free as I insisted on it. Very hard to do a deal on GX's up here at much under list price - let alone going to dealer invoice. They sell them very quickly and Lexus has'nt raised the production quotas enough to scare them into thinking they can have an inventory surplus if they don't discount. Maybe the end of winter will slow down sales but these things were real hard to get before winter up here as well. You'll love the truck. Very well built, rides great and has the same great qualities of the LS. My only disapppointment with it (and its a minor one) is the gas mileage is only in the 16-17 range which is the same I got with the LX, I really thought it would be in the 18-19 range given it is smaller than the LX.

Speaking of the LS - how many miles did you get on your tires with the sport suspension LS before you needed new ones. I will likely take a Euro sport in 6-7 weeks but haven't looked into tire wear on the lower profile tires. Dealer is also quoting me a pretty good deal on the ultra and I haven't ruled that out. All in all I couldn't be happier than I was with the LS/LX combo the past three years and the LS/GX combo in the upcoming three years. By the way I still prerer the LX (mainly for size and cargo space) by a smidge over the GX but my wife wanted the smaller GX. I think the LX is a tad quieter at 70mph but the GX is far more agile.
    I thought that the "indirect" TPM system that is used in the '04 LS looks at the RELATIVE speeds of the four wheels, not the ABSOLUTE speed. If so, cold weather affecting the pressure (and diameter) of all four tires equally should not influence the system. After all, we don't drive at the same wheel rpm all the time.
    My LS did not have the Sport suspension; my Turanza tires were ready to be replaced at 25k.

My plan with the GX is to have my wife fall in love with it, so I can get into the next-generation LS...maybe an 05'?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Hey guys - finally within about 60 days of the acquisition and need some advice now. Have decided I really don't need the Ultra rear seat toys but am now trying to determine if I should go Modern or Custom? Anyone out there with similar decision in past and what was your decision point based on?

Also - has the Pre-Collision system arrived yet? Opinions??
    You and I must be related. My wife has become the primary driver of the GX leaving the LS for me - most of the time. I think your next gen LS is 2007 as a spring 2006 car.

I thought you had taken the Euro in 2001 thus my earlier question.
    I went with the Custom Luxury. I don't remember for sure, but I think the Custom had the Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC)& the Modern did not. I had my dealer also order the Smart Key (fantastic the way it works). Like yourself, I did not think the Ultra would be worth it to have all the extras for backseat passengers. I figured that any passengers would be comfortable enough with the Custom Luxury. I love the DCC option. It makes driving on the interstates so effortless. The only thing I am wondering about is if I should have ordered the dual suspension option (did not). I am really picky about road comfort. Those of you that have the dual suspension, how do you like it?
    I don't disagree, I have always thought of TPM as comparing tire RPM against other tires. But the designers certainly aren't precluded from having TPM indicate that all four are outside the "nominal" range in relation to the last "reset".

And the poster's symtoms seem to indicate that might be the case.
    Made this decision just 2 months ago. Went with CL. What sold me was the upgraded interior which you must take with the CL. It really is special and you should be sure to see it and compare it closely with the modern. Leather on the dash, leather on the armrests and the console surround. Also a special suede-like headliner and A<B<C pillars. (same as ultra). Door closers and cruise are plusses too. Smart access is an option that is super. Great car!!
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Tell me about leaving the LS with the Smart Access, does it automatically lock the car when you walk away? Everything you see about it shows walking up to it and it unlocking. I assume there is a normal Valet key like on older cars you give to someone parking it?
    You must push a button on the outside handle of any one of the doors to lock the car from the outside and you must have the smart key with you for the buttons to work. To unlock you just walk up to any door or the trunk and when you touch the handle, or in the case of the trunk a hidden button above the license plate, the doors unlock and /or the trunk releases. Valet key is a modied smart key that opens and locks doors (not the trunk) the old fashion way with open and lock buttons on the fob. The fob goes into the ignition switch, but there is no key as we know it, just the chip that most cars use today. All the fobs have emergency keys to open the doors (the key is hidden in the fob. Let us know how you go.
    What was the MSRP on the custom lux LS? I didn't realize they upgraded the interior as much as they do - I just thought it was the leather.
  • davieboy1davieboy1 Member Posts: 14
    How does the LS do with snow and how do you feel the LS compares to the new Audi A8
    Thanks
    LS is smoother, quieter and noticably better riding. A8 is far too harsh for me - at least the one I test drove as well as A8's I've rode in, in the past. The A8L is more agile though and is a striking car with a great interior and very roomy in the back. But if your preference has been Audi or BMW in the past then the best LS to buy is th Euro sport version which has 18" tires and handles very well and still maintains 95%+ of the glorious LS ride. The A8 should - naturally be better in the snow since its AWD - but the only person I know that has one says the AWD is practically useless with the tires Audi gives you with the car because they are so low profile. But he says if you put snows on it the traction is great and the AWD lives up to its billing. Finally though - you'd have a heart attack if you knew how often this guys A8 has been in the shop and how serious some of the problems are. Much as he loves the cars looks he can't wait till his lease is up.
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I have been considering both the cars that you discussed in your last post, but just last week I finalized the numbers on an '04 LS 430. I bought the Ultra, flint mica/ecru, and I ordered the 18" wheels. I agree with everything that ljflx said about the differences between the two cars, especially the issue of reliability, I had a'98 A8 and now have an '01 LS430, there is no comparison in shop time. Also, with four good winter tires, the LS 430 is quite capable in the snow.
    Did you pau extra for the 18" rims? I might take the ultra or the custom lux and being able to get it with 18" rims may cinch it.
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I paid what the dealer said was their cost,who really knows. I will buy 18" tires from Tire Rack, either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S(which I have now, only in 17"), or Continental ContiExtremeContact and I will use the 17" rims for winter tires. I think this should give the LS 430 a little better look and perhaps a little better handling. Also, I have been reading your posts and noticed you bought GX 430 for your wife,my wife just picked up an RX 330 two weeks ago.
    Yeah - the GX470 is a fantastic SUV and we are very happy with it. So is the RX. We can't have the RX because its too small for us otherwise I'd have taken it. The new redesign made it a lot more luxurious then the first gen RX in my opinion.

Good luck with both vehicles. I will take the new LS around April 30th. I also love the Flint Mica and am between that color and black. I also will still consider the cypress pearl.
    The MSRP for the Custom Luxury options with smart key was $66,694. By the way, I chose the flint mica with black interior. I really like this combo. It looks very rich.
    How do you like the Michellin Pilot AS? I posted about 10 days agao asking folks for their experiences with various tires, but go no response. Are they better than the standard Dunlops that come standard. Over the winter, I had to install snow tires because, it was an accident ready to happen around here in the snow & ice. The snow tires worked very well. Now I am wondering if I should change to Michellin's the rest of the year. I can't say I am pleased with the Dunlops. Are you Michellins quieter?
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    Warm weather has brought the groan, moan and screach that I thought the dealer's fix had fixed. Anybody have this problem again after the factory fix?
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    I had mine fixed about a year ago...no problem since. And I'm in So Calif where the weather is usually pretty nice.