Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I didn't realize that myself. I thought all LS430's had water repellent windshields but the custom/ultras had water repellent side glass.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    My dealer said the Custom Lux model has been discontinued. This means the only way to get the laser cruise control is to pay for all that unnecessary back seat stuff. And I have become so used to the laser cruise that I wouldn't want to be without it.
    It seems so strange to me because when the 2001 LS 430 first came out, a lot of people on this board commented that they wished they could get all the Ultra Lux features except for the back seat stuff, but that Lexus didn't offer that choice. Then some months later they announced the Custom Lux and it was exactly what we had all been hoping for. And now they discontinue it again? Can anybody see any logic in that?
    I had heard much earlier that the custom lux was going to go away. But it didn't until now per your dealer. When I bought 6 weeks ago they had dropped the availability to a handful of colors and I coud'nt get the Flint Mica. I will bet that they will kick-up the modern lux package to be more of a custom lux car in 2005. There isn't all that much of a price difference between the two. The CL gives you laminated side glass, laser cruise and nappa leather (as an option). It used to give you the perforated leather with seat coolers, and rear parking sensors but Lexus made these across the board add ons to all option packages from premium to ultra. It doesn't make sense to have the ML and CL so close in product and price nor does it make sense to limit the laser cruise to just the Ultra in the future.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My dealer confirmed yesterday that the Custom Lux package is no longer available. They have a lot of UL and ML packages in stock--almost no Premium. However, they say that Premium Pkg cars are readily available should I want one. I saw a Flint Mica car for the first time today. It's beautiful, but boy does it show the dirt,
  • jester_monk1jester_monk1 Member Posts: 4
    Not out in the market yet. Will be shortly. Worth the wait. It works great.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Michael,

I do own a LS (our second one) and also live where it rains/snows quite a bit. However, I could never imagine mud guards/flaps on an LS or a Jag, S-Class, etc. Actually, I believe that Lexus needs to seriously improve the exterior looks of the LS and would not want to do anything to detract from the current model exterior. I am traveling overseas on business and can not wait to get home to see the new pictures/drawings of the MY07 LS in Automobile, Motor Trend, etc -- that you all have recent discussed. I am interested in the design of both the new LS and S-Class coming in 2006/7.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Yes Lexus has been criticized (with some validity) of basically copying the design of the old S420 with the LS, though I do like the looks of the '04 redesign. The '07 car should be a much more radical departure, in any case, I'm not going back to an S class. Especially not if this LS500GT rumor turns out to be true. A 17mpg S55 is going to be a tough sell if it is.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I looked all over my literature (could not find my sticker) and the only way I can find Water Repellant Glass is on the "passenger and driver" glass windows. I have never seen a reference to Water Repellant Windshields. I see a listing for "Water-repellent front-door glass" on the Lexus web site for the LS430. I can't tell any difference by looking at the numbers and letters on the door glass. I do note a difference when washing the car, the front door glasses repell the water better than the rear door glass.
    Custom Luxury Package no longer listed on the Lexus web site for LS430 under the heading "Build Your LS". The "Price/Options" section still has CL listed along with the "Sport Package". I did not find the Sport Package listed under "Build Your LS". A bit confusing to say the least.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    James:

I like the dull exterior, others like the star...A conservative exterior that is not too flashy with an awesome interior to me is perfact.

I would ask you to go the Lexus owners club and search for Mud guards someone has posted his 01/02? with a full set of mud guards and I think they look just fine...But we are all different.
    See link below. Under safety - it reads water repellent front - door glass. I would assume they mean the windshield and front side door glass. The CL and ultra add laminated side glass. I assume this adds water repellent to the rear door glass as well.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/specifications.html
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    All LS have water repellent front side windows. The C/U trim adds water repellent windshield. The sticker price shows this clearly and so does the web.
    I have a brochure for the LS that also show the water repellent windshield and side glass.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    "Custom Luxury Package no longer listed on the Lexus web site for LS430 under the heading "Build Your LS". That information may depend upon your zip code. I just logged on to that WEB site and Custom Luxury is listed in "Build your Ls". Custom Luxury is still available in the Maryland area.
    You can build it here in New Jersey as well.
    Thanks for all your comments and info regards Water Repellent Glass and Availability of CL Package. I get better informed by participating in these discussions.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It appears to me that the actual availibility of certain models and/or packages has nothing to do with what is, or is not, configurable in "build your own". The RX performance package has never shown up there even for outside my area postal codes yet I know them to be available, rare, but available.

The build your own models available may be restricted to vehicles deemed surplus inventory for a given area. AWD RXes inadvertantly shipped to FL for instance. Or maybe just slow moving factory "builds".
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Mud flaps for the LS 430 are not available in the U.S. However, they are sold in Canada. They are sold in a set of four, and they are genuine Toyota parts imported from Japan. The mudguards come prepainted, so they are special order only. They can be ordered and will arrive in 2-3 weeks. The cost is approxiametly $250.00+-(includes shipping)depending on the prevailing exchange rate. You can order at the following: The Auto Fashion Store @ http://store.yahoo.com/lexus/lssidmudguar.html
    Hope this helps
    Ron
    Thanks Ron.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Did you get your hands on a Motorola V710? It should be coming out on May 21st based on some reports I've read and this will be the first Bluetooth Verizon phone. Some guy in ebay sold one and had a legitimate bid for $1000 that was trumped by a zero feedback buyer. I was going to get a V600 but will wait to see the V710 if it will be launched soon. Does it appear to function well with the Lexus system? Although one would think there is a standardized protocol, my Lexus dealer is very conservative in saying a bluetooth phone is compaible
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I am surprised that there has been little or no discussion about this topic. I realize that cost is of no concern to most luxury car buyers, but cost is not the only issue here. The environmental issue should also be considered. I have been using 10% ethanol blend for my 2004 LS430 since about late December. The owner's manual states that Lexus encourages the use of 10% ethanol blend. I have had no problem at all with it. I can't say that the gas mileage is any worse either. I am wondering what all of you 2004 LS430 owners have been using for fuel. By the way, the cost is a substantial 15 cents per gallon cheaper here where I live. Any discussion would be appreciated.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Any comments on whether or not the Sport Tuned
    suspension is a good option?? My dealer seems to infer that this is NOT a good option to have and that most of his spec car orders will not have this option. Sounds like customers have not been happy with the option.

Personally, I like a sporty suspension and am willing to give up a little bit of ride comfort for this.

Thoughts (pro's and con's)??
    I usually just get premium from a big brand like Mobil. I'm aware it contains 10% ethanol, but I never really knew what that was all about. Better MPG, lower emissions, etc. When regular was $1.00 and premium $1.20 I was more bothered and secretly praised Cadillac for using regular. Now, though with regular at $2.20 and premium at $2.40, it doesn't much matter. I'm finding the 04 LS is getting 2-3mpg better than my 01.

I'm sure you're right that luxury car buyers don't look at MPG. If any brand might be MPG conscious it would be Lexus, since many LS owners buy value. Some, like me want all the MPG we can get. We anxiously await a hybrid.
    Search this forum. My understanding is if you like the stiffer German ride, the sport option is something you'll like. I like the big boat ride personally. The ultra has air suspension and you can stiffen it up via a switch on the console. I can barely detect the difference.
    They simply don't make that many of them. I know two people who have it - one has an 01 and the other has an 04. They both love it and the cars are flawless. Most dealers son't want to bother with it because it means a delayed sale and/or trading with someone else - hence the BS from your dealer.

Gas - how much gas will you use in a year - 600-700 gallons, maybe a 1000 at most. I have a 14-15 cents price differential where I live. Is it worth it to save $100-150 a year on a car this expensive and risk hurting such a perfect engine? It's never smart to be penny wise and pound foolish unless you are forced into such a situation.
    For what it's worth, my sales representative told me that one of his customers elected to have 18" wheels put on his 2004 LS430 after it was delivered with 17" wheels. He told me the customer was not happy with the 18" wheels and swapped back to the 17". Switching from 17 to 18 inch wheels without the related sport suspension would only make the car ride rougher?
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I got the same "run around" from the local dealer. He told me that that don't get shipped to this part of the country and they really aren't around to test drive. Seems to me for a 70K car they should "let" you order it the way you want.

I think Lexus has a great service department but from my experience with a local dealer, they are still from the "old school" in terms of sales.

Fortunately, you buy the car you don't really have to deal with any other hassles again, so the trade off is worth it. But I haven't experienced the luxury aspect of the selling process as being up to par with the auto itself. They should really work on that.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Well, there's more than one dealer around. Talk to them until you find one that will accomadate. I checked out 6 dealers for a custom lux mystic gold until I found one willing to go all out to get me that combo. It'd due in port on May 24. Some dealers ARE BETTER than others.
    ljflx, I would never want to save a few hundred dollars per year with a chance that it would damage the car. That would be absolutely stupid. However, if it states right on the manual in "black & white" that Lexus encourages the use of ethanol blend fuel, then why not use it. As I stated above, I have been using 10% ethanol blend for over 4 months now. I have not detected any difference in mpg nor in the way the engine runs. It is as quiet and smooth as ever. I do have a bit of a problem with initial hesitation when stepping on the accelerator, but it was the same way when I was using premium gas the first month or so I owned it. Does anyone out there besides myself use ethanol? What are your experiences? Am I taking a risk?
    I always buy 93 octane and never paid attention to ethanol so I was simply referring to price differences between 93 and 87. I'm a tightwad on gas and buy the cheapest one around - but always 93 octane. My personal experience is that mobil is the best gas. I've always gotten the best mpg with Mobil. A truck driver told me Mobil was the best a long time ago and for awhile I bought nothing but Mobil and saw the difference he was talking about. These days I tend to make my decisions on the convenience of getting my credit card back 10 seconds after I give it to the attendant. The fact tht the gas is the cheapest around - $1.85 for 93 octane yesterday - is an added benefit. But I did notice the price jumped 6 cents as I drove past the gas station on my return home from the office. I'll buy a very expensive car but I hate $2 a gallon gas prices. When the prices were very low a few years ago 93 Octane here in NJ got as low as $1.03. Why does that seem so long ago.
    Wow! Your prices over there in Jersey are rather cheap. Here in IA, premium is now up to $2.04 while 10% ethanol is $1.90. Yes indeed, that dollar per gallon gas price may be forever gone. I sure hope we find alternative energy sources rather than being totally dependent on that darn crude oil. The hybred vehicles now being developed are going to get very attractive indeed. I better place my order now for the new 2006 LS-hybred ;-).
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    NJ has the nation's lowest, while CA has the nation's highest. Here in San Diego, prices range anywhere from $2.45 - $2.80 for Premium.
  • jester_monk1jester_monk1 Member Posts: 4
    I did get one, and it works very well. I think it would be wonderful phone for Motorola. They have done an outstanding job with that phone!

I had it hooked up the Lexus system in 5 mins. The only problem I have had is in uploading the address book from the phone to the car. Working on that one.
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I researched this extensively, and bought the Bridgestone Taurnaza lsz at Costco. They are special order, but so what. They are indeed very quiet, matching those that came off, if not better. Se reply #4391.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Thank you both..Woppenhe just so I don`t make a mistake is there any other `lsz` that could jump up and sideswipe me?? Also around how much should I expect to pay? Tony ps tires are very important, as the last set I just let Lexus split the cost and ended up with Michelan. They were not very quiet..This time I`l pay the full freight and follow you all.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have less than 7000 miles on my 2004 LS430. The OEM Dunlap Sport 5000 tires are quiet and have good wet/dry grip. Cornering response is much better with 35-36 psi pressures.

I had the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires on my previous E320. They were as quiet as the Michelin MXV-4, better wet traction, but they flat-spot when parked overnight. The LS-V may not have this characteristic. However, I'd have to be assured that this problem is solved before I would buy another set.

As a quick aside, I clay-barred and Zainoed my Moonlight Pearl LS430. The results are extraordinary

I will probably look at the Dunlaps, expect the TireRack price to be about $135 each, go with the higher tire pressures, and expect 45,000-50,000 miles on the originals.
    A comment on your "Quick Aside" regards "Clay-bar" and "Zainoed" and your pleasure with the results. I waxed my LS430 the first time without removing the tree sap and was not very pleased with the result. Recently I used "Meguiar's Quick Clay Detailing System" which is a clay bar kit with liquid. I was very pleased with the results. I then waxed the car with their recommended wax. Subsequently, I have had a few spots of tree sap and have used "Meguiar's Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe". It removes contaminants before they can damage the paint and returns the finish to a newly waxed condition. It is very quick and easy to apply and wipe.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Going tonight to pickup my new LS430 Custom Lux with SmartAccess in Moonlight pearl and Ecru. Have debated for over a year and decided to make it happen now.

Can't wait to play with the options and its a nice step up from my '98 GS300.

Anyone posted the C-BEST settings file for the '04 LS yet?
    I'm sorry that I don't have a copy of the defaults handy. I had the dealer change the auto-on headlight to the most sensitive setting ( in auto-mode the lights come on earlier ), and the auto doorlocks to lock in gear and unlock in Park.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    jfz,

Which speed ratings are your dunlop SP Sport 5000s?
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Leonard - Just got my invitation from LFS to retire my lease early (4+ mos)in my case without penalty or additional payments if I get another Lexus. What's the business case? They surely aren't pressed to get cars out the door. Is this something where the dealer contributes (and I'm seeing an increase in the cap cost, MF or decreased residual? Are they trying to retire lower MF leases? What's your guess?
    Email me, and I'll send you the C-Best settings list for the 2001 LS and 2004 RX.
    Wish I could tell you. The car is selling very well and needs no incentives plus the 2001's come with higher interest rates. It could be tied to demand for pre-owned cars. It could be tied to re-timing lease renewals for the next gen car. Whatever it is it's tied to some internal strategy or need.

Are you sure they are not recapitalizing the 4 month remaining lease principal portion into a new lease. Also is it good for either a new lease or purchase or only good for a lease? I've never received anything like that so I don't know the particulars of the offer. I was once told that they will sometimes down-convert 39 month leases to 36 months but that is only a 3 month exchange and that is always tied to a future lease renewal strategy.

Why not call Ray Catena and see what is going on?
    Actually I did swing by. A runaway log-splitter hit my LS and did 8K worth of damage. The bumper had to be replaced and the paint blended into the fenders and hood to match the colors, so with that kind of repair buying the car after the lease was eliminated as an option. The day after the car got hit I tore a tendon in my arm that required major surgery to repair, and will have me on limited duty through the summer. My wife thought I should do something fun, and when I got the offer today suggested we go down to the dealer to look. It's called the Encore program. The offer covers a new lease or purchase using LFS, and provides for:
    -Pre-approval up to $900 lease/65K financed
    -Waiver of remaining lease payments (but not return of already paid, so would want to end on monthly anniversary)
    -Lease security deposit waiver
    -$50 Lexus merchandise gift certificate

The salesman said it doesn't affect the price or financing. I believe the car (w/o taking diminished value into account) was worth a few thousand over the residual, so that may be a big factor.
    The OEM Dunlaps are all season H rated 225/55-17s.
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I bought mine last August, priced them at several tire dealers (not everyone carries them)and got quotes from 160 to 185 or so per tire. Costco special ordered them for me, and I had to keep after them a few times, but I got them for about $150 per tire. Wheether there are today any better tires out there, I do not know, but the feedback on Tire Rack was the deciding factor in my choice. I have been very satisfied with them.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Aggie 76 congratulations. Custom Lux is not available in all regions. Could you pl let us know which part of the country you are in. Also what kind of deal did you get. Did you buy or lease. Thanks.
  • erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone actually purchased the mud guards from "my auto fashion" for $250 and had them installed? My local dealer is quoting a price of $85 to install them and states they do not carry the guards in their parts department. Any help would be appreciated.
    The Encore program is their loyalty program and I've gotten the same thing in the mail in the past but it never included a waiver on the current lease.

The 2001 value has held up very well and generally exceeds the residual by a few thousand dollars. I checked all of that stuff a while back because we also thought of buying out the 2001 car. It was the only car that did so from the 2001 models that I was choosing from. The MB S and E class cars fell below residual buyouts by decent amounts and run well below LS430 percentages of original MSRP retained. The A8 is just plain abysmal in holding its value. Lexus may want the cars back because they have buyers of a big lot. Who knows.

The 2004 LS is fabulous if you go that route. But keep in mind there is a hybrid around the corner in 2006 or 2007 and a total re-design with it. So you may want to do only a lease.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The RX400h will come a cropper and Toyota/Lexus will "rethink" their approach to being "green".

Using batteries simply to SUPERCHARGE an already powerful V6 or V8 engine should never be considered "green".

Sizing the batteries, and the use thereof, to store and later make adequate use of power regained from regenerative braking is an absolutely excellent idea. Charging those same batteries with the ICE in order to later make use of them later to BOOST engine output results in a net loss of fuel economy just as is clearly shown by the poor Prius highway mileage.