Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Can anyone out there provide me with a copy (Adobe Acrobat file, for example) of the CBEST (Customized Body Electronics System) settings for the 2004 LS430?

During the 1000 mile/30 day service on my LS, I asked my dealer to reset the auto door lock function to operate when the car speed exceeded 12mph rather than when the transmission is taken out of Park. This option is described on page 48 of the owner's manual. When I picked up the car, I noted on the invoice that the technician "did not find programming change in the computer to allow for doors to lock at speeds of 12 mph...". To make a long story shorter, the Service Advisor and Duty Service Manager basically told me that it couldn't be done, that the owner's manual was probably incorrect, and they could not (or would not) produce a copy of the '04 CBEST settings for the LS. I had earlier been shown a copy of what turned out to be the 2002 LS CBEST which said the locking function could be changed to 5mph - their reaction was that Lexus must have dropped the option for 2004. They advised me to take up the issue with "the factory". Customer service at its finest!!

At any rate, I would like to be armed with correct info before I take on the dealer again...thanks in advance...

SanDiegoTom
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    I went through the same request (12 mph locking, Page 48) with my dealer two months ago, and also found that they cannot do it. Lexus Customer Service looked into it for me, called back and said that the manual is just plain incorrect. At least your dealer noted on your invoice that they couldn't do it; my dealer's invoice said "changed setting as per customer request", then I had to drive right back and show the service writer that it was NOT done. Not much of an apology either. They also are unable to do the option on page 114.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    The 2001 E430 residual did not hold up well at all. The E's from the late 90's though had held their residuals very well when I was shooping in 2001 - noticably higher than any other car at that time (including S, LS etc). But from 2001 till now the LS residual percentage has become the highest and the E has fallen pretty far - probably due to the MB quality issues.
  • lexus lslexus ls Member Posts: 10
    I think some people know what i was talking about and wanted to thank you for the help. The cause I believe is from a vacuum of air with only one entrance and exit for air. the sound come from the vibration of the roof and glass of the sun roof. I just wanted to know if the lexus ls 400 did that. Thanks for clearing that up. lol, I know the reason for the vacuum because I have a 1999 suburban and if you open the one of the rear windows you get the same noise. that just shows the build quality and bad craftsmenship of American cars, that is my reason I am going to buy a Lexus.
    My friend just bought a new dodge durango with the hemi. It is quite impressive. But he wanted to cry when i got next to him with the 1995 lexus ls 400 i was test driving at a stop light, of course I set that up. Plus the fact that he paid 37k for the SUV. He only beat me by a little and at the end of a test drive of like 3 miles straight road, I cough up to him because i was doing about 150 mph and the durango stops at 130 ish, so he claims. Though not bad for a suv, at like the quarter mile mark the front bumper of my car was at the back bumper of his car. Not bad for a 10 year old stock Lexus. Just thought every one should know lol
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I tested the sunroof open up to 50 MPH this evening and did not note any drumming. I did hear the air rushing by though. The front of the moon roof has a deflector that pops up a small amount to help deflect the air out of the passenger compartment. Also, the auto/one touch open feature does not open the moon roof all the way. It stops the auto opening feature about three inches from full open for passenger comfort. If you want to open it all the way, you must hold the button aft.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The supposed "Hemi" is no great return of the famous engine of 'Cuda fame, its just marketing jargon that Chrysler brought back from the dead to sell cars. If he was upset by your LS, get next to him in an Armada. The big bad MODERN Nissan 5.6L wins against "hemi" power every time. Considering how powerful Toyota's 7 year old 4.7L V8 is, when they finally get around to replacing that with a real 5.xL V8, the domestics should be cowering in fear of that engine as well. Its really just embarrasing. Beating Taurus and Impala is one thing, but the Titan is Nissans first full size truck. GM and Ford have been doing them for a half century, and it only took Nissan its first try to beat em all.
  • sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    Darn it! I want those mud guards for my 2002 LS430. Unfortunately, the vender listed earlier doesn't have them in my car's color, Mystic Gold. Anyone know where I could order them in the right color?

Sean
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I AM TOLD THEY ARE A STOCK ITEM IN JAPAN?

At worst you could order the lighest color available and your dealer could paint them then install...I would expect they would charge for paint and install about $100 per but I don't know for sure.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I know you have both; I may be having second thoughts about leaving the LS for the GX. Help!
    I fired a few warnings there for you. But my wife and I thoroughly enjoy the GX and would buy it again without a moment's thought. It's a great value considering the luxury ride and trim and in its class nothing touches it for me (though I do like the Tourag styling but that's it)

The LS is the best mass produced sedan in the world - in my opinion - so comparing top quality lux cars to it is a losing proposition, let alone an SUV. But the GX is a fabulous truck and I look forward to driving it all the time. Having both the LS and GX is having the best of both worlds - given my wife wanted a Lexus suv that was smaller than the LX. With that said I still prefer the LX to the GX as it is definitely the premier SUV in the Lexus lineup and probably the best made SUV on the planet - though arguably the Range Rover is just as or a tad more luxurious - assuming you can deal with its reliabilty issues. But the GX is the equal of the LX in ride and is a better handler - two very crucial staples. It's just that for all around comfort, luxury and cargo space the LX reigns for me.

Anyway with all that said I can't imagine you won't love this GX. You'll have to stop comparing it to the LS though because its a totally different experience. On the other hand maybe you need a complimentary LS to go with it.

I knew you'd get to the bottom of the vibration thing on the GX. Thanks for that post. I don't have any hint of the vibration but I know what to do now it is if it happens.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Contact any Canadian Lexus Dealer. The mud flaps are in their parts catalog.
    Ron
    if it is opended all the way it will make a drumming noise. it should anyway. most of them do lol thanks again
    yea the hemi isn't the old time hemi. My friend had one in a car years ago that he restored. but he thought that it was faster than the armada. i told him it wasn't. LoL. My dad is has a toyota tundra with the V8 and he loves it. But wants the double cab. I told him that toyota is coming out in 2005 or 2006 with a 5+ Liter motor, and that it was going to put Nissan, GM, Ford, and Dodge to shame! And it will! Even if it is only a 5.3
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    When do we get to find out if there will be any slight changes for 05? Maybe incorporating Sat. radio in a cleaner package?

Also, on the Lexus web site they no longer show saddle interior as an option. Any guess as to why that would not be available now.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I'm taking advantage of the early lease return offer from Lexus financial, and will be turning in my 2001 LS. I'm picking up an SC 430 today, and my dealer is trying to locate an RX in the color my wife wants, so I'll be migrating onto those discussions. As soon as they get the RX, the LS goes in for that. The SC decision was partially driven by the realization that if I didn't do it now, I'd probably never get another car of the SC type vs a sedan. While I mostly "listened" on this board, I enjoyed everyones help and comraderie. I plan to be back, since when my "toy" is ready to be returned I intend to get a 2007 LS. Best to all. Steve
    The SC is fabulous. I loved the ride and feel of the car the few times I drove it. It strikes a great balance between very good handling and an excellent ride thus it will never win car rags tests since they want nothing but handling. But it is an absolutely great car that does every thing very well. Interior luxuruy feel is tops in the league it plays in as far as I'm concerned. I still can't take my eyes off of it whenever I go into Ray Catena. What color combo are you getting. The silver always draws me to it the most but I like this car in every color.

The RX is great also. I've really liked the new bamboo pearl color whenever I see it. I always request the RX as a loaner when the LS goes in for maintenance. Did you inquire about the hybrid?

Best of luck with both.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Just noticed a strange thing about the rear seatbelts on my '04 LS430. The receiving device (with the red release button) for the LEFT seat passenger is to the RIGHT of the receiving device for the center passenger. This neans that their belts would have to cross over. The belts are keyed so that the center belt cannot be latched into the wrong receiver. Should this be this way?
    I vote "NO". I have had two LS430s that were delivered the way you describe. I believe it is just an assembly/design problem that is easilly remedied. In both cases, I just twisted the belt receivers until they were in the proper position so they could be locked without crossing the belts. It is very disconcerting for the center passenger or left passenger to try and put his belt latch into the wrong receiver. Once I reversed the receivers by twisting them around, that solved the problem.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Many thanks ljflx and you others that extoled the virtures of the 2004 LS enough to convince me to update from the '01 ultra. Elaine's very happy with the ultra and I'm happy with the custom lux. You were right on as to the increased smoothness & quiet ride. My sense of speed is going to have to be re-educated. Heading down the highway at 60 MPH ( I thought) read 70 MPH on the speedometer.

HOWEVER, I was dissapointed to see in the maintenance manual that it is required every 5k miles rather than giving the option of 5000 or 7500. Considering that every other luxury manufacturer makes it a 10k to 12k, especially for oil changes using Mobile 1, this seems like a regressive move.

ONE OTHER QUESTION: The manual indicates that there is no way to use the bluetooth to dial out while driving? Any experience to the contrary? Will be checking in with Cingular to replace my current mobile with the t616, as I guess this is the best one available through that carrier.

Many thanks again for all of the accurate info.
    Fred
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    I would also like to know about peoples experience with Bluetooth enabled phones with the 04 LS. I have been told that the integration between phone and car is flawed in some way...something to do with incoming calls having to be answered by the phone first, then passed along to the bluetooth interface of the car...resulting in a long pause and the calling party sometimes hanging up. Something was also said about a long pause when dialing out using the pre-programmed numbers on the nav screen.

Any comments would be welcome.
    I'm on my 3rd LS430 and the dealer has always recommended programmed maintenance/service at 5000 mile intervals even though the manual may have specified 7500 option. I was not aware that the 2004 manual had deleted the 7500 option. I do note that the oil is getting a little brown by 5000 miles and don't mind changing it. As for Mobile One, I would imagine there would be a separate recommendation for oil change. Guess I'm in a rut and 5000 mile intervals seems normal now.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Len -
    It was a coin toss for me between silver/black and pine/saddle. My wife went with Bamboo Pearl for her RX and I got the pine SC to have some contrast. I guess if she went for Flint Mica (a close choice for her) I might have gotten the lighter colored car. I will say the pine "dusts up" as fast as a black car.

The hybrid really didn't interest me for a few reasons, so that didn't come into the picture.
    Fred, best of luck with the car. I went with 10k maintenance mile sched on my old LS and put 62K miles on it and it worked out perfectly. I wouldn't worry about the 5K maintenance schedule. I'll have a bit more mix of local and highway with this car so I'll use a 7.5K maintenance schedule. When they launch the new LS build with hybrid in 2006 or 2007 I'll follow the recommended sched more precisely. Right now I'm loving this car though and it is a great experience to drive.

I'm still waiting on Verizon to launch bluetooth so I haven't really fiddled with that yet. But I'm losing patience with Verizon.

Steve - I had the midnight pine before and its practically a black car but the gleem of green is real nice and it looks awesome when you wax it.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    While driving you can place calls thru the nav system using the one touch buttons--just push the phone button on the steering column while driving then touch the desired button on the nav screen. If the number you want to call is not set as a one touch button, you still have the ability to dial it on your phone, push send on the phone--then there is a wait for the party to answer before the car's bluetooth system will pick up the call. There is much more about bluetooth on this board--just do a search.
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    Having used various OEM and aftermarket phone kits in numerous LS 400/430's including the disaster in the 2001 LS I am pleased to say that Lexus has finally come up with an outstanding solution with the Bluetooth interface for the 2004 LS.
    I am using the new Motorola V600 through Cingular and it has performed flawlessly. The Bluetooth connection is automatically made when you turn on the car's ignition. Usually takes about 5-10 seconds. Calls can be dialed from the Nav screen virtual keypad or phone book when the car is stationary. Note that you can bring up the virtual keypad while on a call (as long as the car is not moving)so that you can retrieve voice mail and enter prompts etc. If you are moving these prompts can be made from the phone keypad. There is no significant lag either receiving or placing calls via the Bluetooth interface. As mentioned previously, if you dial from the phone the system only connects when the call is answered.
    When driving, you can only place calls from the one touch screen which the system defaults to when the car is moving. I believe you can store about 18 of these numbers which is not bad. You assign the one touch numbers from the phone book, or from your log of outgoing or received calls. The one touch entries that you import from the phone book have the name and number displayed when the car is stationary but only the name when moving. The one touch entries imported from the call log only have the number which goes away when you are driving leaving a blank space with no indication of who you would be calling so it is better to use the phonebook as a source. The phonebook entries are created by uploading entries one at a time from the phone. I have not been able to come up with a way to do the whole phonebook. I understand that the entire phonebook can be uploaded from the Sony-Erikson.
    If you are on a call and for some reason want to go from handsfree to using the actual phone it is easy to do so by droppig the Bluetooth connection by pressing a few buttons on the phone. However, I have found that the only way to reestablish the Bluetooth for that call or any new calls is to have the car stationary and either restart the car or go into the phone settings and reconnect the Bluetooth. You cannot get into the settings when the car is moving.
    Another oddity is that the phone book entries are reversed after thay are uploaded. Bob Smith becomes Smith Bob. I am not sure whether this is related to this particular phone only.
     The Lexus manual indicates caller ID functionality with name and number but I cannot get it to display names even if they are in the phonebook.
    As to the lack of functionality while driving, I understand that there are stereo installers who can rewire the cars so that you can dial from the screen and access the phonebook while driving. In my opinion this is safer than fumbling with a tiny phone keypad but I know the Toyota lawyers do not see it that way.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Len, Joel, and Sid, thanks for the further update on functions and service on the 2004 LS. Now if only Lexus would add these and other suggestions as an addendum in their manuals, they could very easily be compete.

As to oil change intervals, I used the 7500 schedule on my '90 LS. When I sold it 3 years ago with 130,000, it still got the same MPG as when it was new and the oil was still in the safe range (without any addition) at each oil change. With the stable viscosity and break-down resistance of Mobil 1, it seems to me that 10k to 12k is reasonable and even 7.5k should be extra conservative. I'm going that route, since I change the oil myself anyway.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    For some reason, my dealer puts my scheduled oil change intervals at 7.5K miles. I don't bother to disagree, I just bring the car in at every 7.5K miles as scheduled. The only thing I quibble about is the $58 charged for a mere oil change. Maybe I need to learn the nuance of DIY for an oil change.... WRT mpg, in-town I average 19mpg, while freeway travels average 21mpg. I own a '99 LS.

On another note, I was on a recent trip and had a long stretch of open road in front of me and thought what if I stretch the LS beyond my normal 75mph ? Hmmmmm..... I had the car at 100mph and about the only thing I noticed was a higher noise intrusion into the cabin. The car was so smooth and straight, it was scary ! Exactly as C&D described in their Dec lux sedan comparo, quote: "The steering knows exactly where straight ahead is, and the faster you go, the more it locks onto that heading"
    My last oil change was at my 10,000 mile service. Oil, Filter, and Gasket charge was $20. Labor was included in the 10,000 mile service and check ($116). 10,000 mile service=:"Replace engine oil and filter, rotate tires, check wear and set proper inflation pressures, inspect engine air filter, brake linings and discs, steering linkages, ball joints and dust covers, drive shaft boots, body/chassis nuts and bolts, and A/C filter, road test vehicle." I knew that dealer service was not inexpensive nor was it just an oil change. I decided when I purchased the car that the maintenance program was a cost of driving a Lexus and I was not going to do it myself.
    In the 04 at 105mph there still is no noise intrusion into the cabin.

Except for the hybrid type of mpg and cleaner emissions, higher HP and faster 0-60 starts (probably under 5 in the more powerful 2006/7's) I'm not sure how they can improve this car on the next build. But I know they will. By the way I'm pretty sure the next build is in 2006 from everything I'm reading and the inherent logic in leading the world debut with the flagship sedan. That's why I believe 3 of the 4 Japaneses Lexi debuting in August 2005 will be the re-designed IS. GS and LS. The fourth is most likely the HPX now that I think about it. Than in 2007 you get the ES and Super LS and maybe a very high end sports car plus a new LX (VX?) that is finally very different than anything from Toyota. It may be off the Sequoia platform but it will bear no real resemblance to it or the TLC.

Your 100% right on the hydrogen fuel cell power as far as I'm concerned. It's anywhere from 10-25 years away and probably closer to the latter. The German fans better hope its that far off because the only company with the financial prowess to pull it off in the next 5-10 years is Toyota. BMW is way too small while the Americans have too much still to fix. There are certain things the Germans better give up trying to lead or they will just shoot themselves in the foot. Hydrogen fuel cell powered cars and sophisticated electronics are certainly two of those things.

By the way I'm convinced the higher gas prices are here to stay. They may fall a bit near-term but they aren't going back to where they were a year ago. They are a pre-cursor to the hybrids just like the rising prices in the 70's were a pre-cursor to the improved fuel economy engines that were coming back then. The diesels will never be anything more than a small niche segment here.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    You postulate that Lexus will release the HPX in Japan first ? To me, it sounds far fetched though to expect that the HPX is anywhere close to production so soon. I mean, we are speculating an MY 2006 release for what is essentially a concept vehicle as of 2004. A *mere* 3 years from concept to production for the HPX will sound too good to be true. BUT, if anyone can pull that off, maybe Lexus can, although I remain skeptical. To my knowledge, no one outside Toyota/Lexus has even seen/heard of an actual version of the HPX being tested which may suggest its production in the next 18 months or thereabouts ! Guess, we'll have to wait on this one.

Alternate fuels are going to be a big deal in the next several years. Hopefully, Congress will do the right thing and pass the energy bill so that funding for more research on this can be provided. Whatever happens, gas-electric hybrids will play a big role, which gives Toyota and Honda a huge lead already.

Scheduled maintainances: My LS now has 88K miles. Last month, I spent $1.5K for its scheduled 90K mile service - included replacing the water pump, timing belt, and all the hoses and clamps. 2 years ago, I did the 60K mile service which cost $600, for mostly a tune-up service, and a myriad of *checks* and *advice*, as the dealership calls it. If Lexus releases the next LS in 2006, then this 90K mile service will be my LAST major service on my current '99. I'll be the proud owner of the new 2006 LS when it comes, although I suspect I'll miss my old reliable '99 which has been perfect so far.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Lenscap posted this link on the high end luxury marques board:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/0526.html

Notice that they say the "LS, GS, IS and SC—will be introduced within one year of starting operations"...meaning the new LS could be model year 2006 or 2007.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    As I read the announcement I see they intend to introduce those fours lines into the local market but don't read anything about them being the new redesigns for that introduction. Couldn't they be the existing models with using the Lexus badge vs the Toyota badge? Just don't see how we can conclude they will be the big redesign we are waiting for from what I have read.

Now, there are some people who I know will confirm that I am known for missing some important data when I read things - normally from my spouse! So I could have overlooked that point in the release.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    Could you expand upon your statement about "car stereo installers rewiring the car to access more functions while driving"? I just got a LS430 and I'm very frustrated by the functions that get locked out while moving. My BMW let me fiddle with the nav and phone systems at all times. I'm an electrical engineer and can make the modifications with a little guidance. I suspected that maybe interrupting the speedometer signal (if there is one) would make the nav system think the car is standing still.
    I missed lenscaps post. So that actually confirms the LS is part of the launch. I had speculated the SC could be the fourth car earlier - just before another boards posts were combined into the high-end board.

Aggie76 - The redesigned IS and GS will be very different than anything from Toyota and the SC - from everything I know - is already a stand alone car. The LS has a counterpart in the Toyota Celsior in Japan. So it just doesn't make any sense that they would go with a re-badged car there particularly since the LS was the defining element of Lexus in 1990. Consumers Guide is also saying the LS will be done over in 2006 with hybrid availability in 2006 or 2007. As well Automobile reported a re-designed super LS is coming in Aug. 2006 (probably as a 2007) and that car probably follows a more base LS rather than leads it. I know there are a handful of Lexus dealers set-up already in Tokyo but I don't know how they are handling the Celsior/LS situation in those dealerships. Maybe it is similar to the LX/TLC situation. But from what I saw the Celsior was a twin to the LS with similar pricing and the same equipment and options - just a different badge. It also supposedly sells well in Japan. Simply killing the Celsior as a Toyota and adding it as a Lexus LS would require a lot of marketing and I'd view that as a foolish thing to do if I were a Japanese consumer. The LS is Lexus' status king so it needs white glove treatment. Many of the stories about the new model are also saying a stretched wheelbase will be an option.

OAC - I have read in a few places that Lexus has given the HPX a go-ahead so it makes sense that it will be an early entry into the new stand-alone line-up. But it comes off the GS platform so maybe it is a 2007 car. Heck - maybe they'll even make it a bit larger and let it come off the LS platform. The SC redo is not slated until 2008 and it is the closest existing Lexus to the new styling anyway - so no need to rush it. That's why the SC made sense to me as a possible 4th car in that earlier post I made on the high-end board.
  • sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    The speed signal wire in the LS430 is a violet/white striped wire. Interrupting it momentarily will "unlock" the fuctions that gray out while driving. I was on a quest for this myself when I first got the car.

The bad news? This wire is located directly behind the very expensive nav screen. So, installing a switch for the wire requires disassembly of the dash. That's why I never did it.

Sean
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    The LS can be modified so that all of the telephone functions that you access via the navigation screen work as if the car is not moving. There is no switching involved, simply push the telephone button behind the steering wheel and the dial screen will come up whether you are moving or not. You can also access the phone book and settings screens.
    They can also put in a rocker switch that temporarily disables the navigation system speed sensor so that you can enter destinations while driving.
    I would suggest that you call around to some car radio/DVD installers and they may be able to get you the wiring diagrams if you want to do it yourself.
    Danny Clements said at one of this year's autoshow press conferences that the whole US lineup would be new by the spring of 2007.
    Do you think he meant the SUV's as well? I was thinking just the cars and he'd add an HPX and redo the LX in that time frame. Then I thought you'd get a new GX and RX around 2008/9 period. But that does leave open the SC. I've read the next SC is a 2008 model though and it may go to a genuine 2+2 which would then pave the way for a $80-100K sports car or the super sports car we've seen and heard about. The whole image of Lexus will have evolved if that occurs and that is part of the plan. Speculation and logical strategic planning is a fun process but I wish we had some more facts.

When you really think about it there are only a few comments that have been disclosed to the public or hinted at what is to come. You have the GS and IS statements and auto show presentations, the LFS concepr which I'm convinced is more about the LS than the GS, the comments about the next LS doing to the market what the 1990 did, the redo of either the entire lineup (or just the car lineup) by 2007 and then the super LS, super sports car, the tuning arm and HPX. They have not delved into specifics which is in-line with Toyota's normal secrecy on these things. Whatever is to come - it's going to be big, centered around hybrids and it will set a lot of things on fire in the lux segment.
    I don't recall the specific wording but I remember thinking at the time that the SUVs might be included and since the GX and RX were fairly new at the time he might have been counting them as being 'new by 2007'.
  • flkeyflkey Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if TMC reads these messages, OR does anyone 'copy' TMC
    with our questions? Perhaps we should invite 'them' to participate,
    to the extent 'they' are able to respond?
    My background was a sales engineer, if you didn't ask for the order,
    you probably wouldn't get the order.
    syswei: would you invite Mr. Clements to participate? We might be
    surpised at his response.

flkey@earthlink.net
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is not a good idea - it invites a torrent of spam. Instead what you can do is make your address public in your profile (Town Hall Profile link, upper left). That will allow logged-in members to find it, but will not allow the spam bots to harvest it the way that they can when you post it on a discussion page.

Hope this helps.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    Thank you Sean. I see a fair amount of conflicting information about this in various forums. Some mention wires behind the LCD screen like you and others mention wires in the trunk connected to the nav computer itself. I also think there is some confusion about LX470 wiring vs. LS430 wiring.

Just to be clear before I mess up my car. Your information about the violet/white wire applies to 2004 LS430 cars, right? (Or, at least as far as you know.) I'm ok with disassembling the dash, I just need to be very sure of this.

Thanks for the information,
    Dominick
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    My 2001 had water repellent front side and windshield. I was always amazed at how the wipers were hardly needed. If you pour a glass of water on the windshield, it would just disappear. The sales brochure says all 04's come with this feature, but I don't think its true. My 04's front windshield behaves just like the rear when I pour water on it. I then looked at the car sticker. It mentioned water repellent front side windows, but NOT windshield. I think Lexus removed the feature in 2004, but kept quiet about it. Pour a little water on your side window and then do the windshield. You'll see what I mean. It's my only disappointment with 04.
    Here on the Edmunds follow up test, the reviewer praised the air suspension. I believe that it is only available on the Ultra Package. Is this a worthwhile feature? Any experience with it that can be shared would be appreciated.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    a 03 LS with regular suspension, and moved to an 03 LS UL with the air suspension. I have found the air suspension to be smoother, and the option of the sport setting is useful when driving in a, shall we say, spirited, manner.

I found it a worthwhile upgrade. Others may disagree. You should drive both types before deciding for yourself.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 92 LS has air suspension and I remain very pleased with it. If or when I buy an RX330 it will be the performance package with air suspension AND NO PARTIAL WOOD STEERING WHEEL!
    Am I correct that the air suspension is only available with the ultra luxury? I like the UL package for the most part, but usually I'm in the car alone or just with my wife and no I won't allow her to sit in the back while I drive! Is it a good package for a non-limo type purposes?

And why so down on the wood steering wheel? I think they are very elegant.
  • essess Member Posts: 2
    I find the driver's seat on my 04 LS surprisingly uncomfortable. The bottom of the seat seems to shift or buckle under my weight (I am 190 lbs). Is there an adjustment that will provide more cushion or support?
    My Dads Camry has that feature on all the windows and it is a 2002. I think it is very nice. My 97 Ls has it also. But if you like that feature then all you have to do is buy some rain X. It will do the job. I know I do it on my Jeep for when i go off roading. Just thought it might help.