Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    I, too, am replacing my 95 SC300 with an LS430, and I also looked at the Designo, but it's just too expensive compared to the LS430. Your color combination is one of my first two choices; the other being Black Cherry/Ecru.

I was also amazed with the LS430 test drive. I never thought I would be happy with a full size sedan after preferring the handling and exceleration of sport coupes. With all the extra room and luxury I'll get to have my cake and eat it too! I will, however, miss the 12 disc changer.

I'm not sure when I'm replacing my coupe. I have a trip scheduled for May, and if I can't get the LS430 I want by then, I may wait for the 2002 model. In the meantime I have 59,600 miles on my coupe. I called my service department to find out how much the regularly scheduled 60,000 mile maintenance is on my coupe and I almost fell out of my chair when she said it was about $1,200. I may be better off to sell the coupe now, and put the $1,200 on the LS430. I would also get a higher low mileage credit if I sell before 60,000 miles.
    My salesman just called with news of Custom Luxury. It's in production now, and available in April. He says, "It"s a $64,000 car". I asked him the price for the package by itself and he said $8,820.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled!! I'm number one on their custom list! Yipee!!
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    Yes, the 1998 face lift did bring in the NAV System

As far as that custom luxury thing, I believe that was a marketing ploy. Off the bat, they wanted to try to push the fully loaded LS's Now that they have been out for a while, they can branch off a little.

From my understanding, it has everything that the UL has, but without the backseat stuff.

Also, what do you think of this (Go to the Lexus pic on this link)

http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn26.htm

I doubt it will be reality, but it would be cool
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    I heard that the Custom Luxury package doesnot include air suspension system.Probably requires perforated leather seats with this package for an additional cost(I am not sure of this).
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Pia7, How did you get a leather wheel? I never noticed it on the option list or I would have ordered on my car. I also picked the Silver, Ecru, golden birds-eye maple with ML and Sports Package. My car will be in port on the 2/26 and I should have by 3/3. I would love to have the leather wheel. Well, I can only hope it's part of the SP.
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    I drive 40K miles per year, do you think a 98 or 99 LS 400 will last five years? '98 comming off of lease with 33-35K miles sell for $35,000. That would be about 230K miles on the car. Anyone with experience with high miles on LS 400? What kinds of maintenance cost, problems should I expect?
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Flint350 asked about the Volume Set button on the steering wheel.

Ikey78 pointed out that it can be used as a Mute button.

I see 2 problems with using it as a Mute:

1. It would be a Mute without an Unmute. In other words, when you want to turn the volume back to what it was before you "muted" it, you have to do it manually with the volume control.

2. If you are listening to a book on tape, you would want a mute that also stops the tape, else when you turn the volume back up you have missed part of the story.

For these reasons I prefer the Power On/Off button as a mute. Hit it once, the sound stops. Hit it again, it resumes exactly from where it left off.
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    Are you talking about the Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel? Because if you are, it comes with in, as do all Lexus models
    If anyone has seen the dealer invoice cost for the Custom Luxury option, please post the link. MSRP is $8,820.
    Wood and leather wrapped steering wheel is a standard feature in all LS430.It is either a golden birds-eye maple or California walnut on the steering wheel, part of it wrapped with leather to match the interior--this is according to the brochure.It seems to me that many of us on this board either own the new LS or will be acquiring one shortly.We should honestly document any problems either with the car or its performance and service on this Board even if the problem appears trivial.Same should be true for the owners of MBZ-S Class and BMW 7 Series.WE never had this opportunity before the Internet and I am sure the manufacturers will keep a close eye on our opinions.Utimately the customers will be the big winners.
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    I know the LS has a wood and leather steering wheel to match the rest of the wood in the car. However, in reading Pia7's memo #548 I thought it ment "full leather" steering wheel as in the ES or GS models.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I don't mind some wood in a car,although I rarely prefer it,but does anyone else think there is just too much in the LS430? The steering wheel was the last straw-so far,it is keeping me from buying one-although than that I feel it is the buy of the market. it really is an exceptional car. Besides making the wheel far too slippery,it is a little glitzy.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    To all who are big on this costly and distracting option...educate me...why does one WANT this option unless you travel out of town a lot. I know where my home and office and friends places and favorite restaurants are. It seems to me it is only an expensive toy that I would never use.
    Before I got my car, I didn't think I would get much use out of the Nav system. But since I have had it, I have used it many times, even in my local area. For example, I can do a Local POI (Points of Interest) search, looking for the nearest restaurant. Or the nearest Mexican restaurant. Or the nearest Taco Bell. Or the nearest bank, etc.

It will also show you the best way to get on a particular freeway (toll road to you Easterners). Many times I have wondered if the way I was driving to a particular location was in fact the most direct, and I rarely bothered to check a map. But now that I have this very convenient and easy-to-use tool, I do check it, and then I KNOW that it is the best way.

I find the Nav system is extremely well designed, with a very complete map database (at least here in the greater Los Angeles area). The amount of artificial intelligence it contains is really impressive.

Get it. You'll love it.
    A nice pair of designer's driving gloves(Gucci's?) could solve your problem.Personally I liked both the quality and the amount of wood trim found inside the LS430.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    I like the wood, I like the Nav. Of course, as a pilot, I am inclined to like techy things like the nav system. Also, I have now retired and plan to travel a lot. So the nav is really useful and was one of the things I really wanted. There are other reasons to like the nav as well - the nav touchscreen provides a very nice graphical interface with the other systems such as audio and climate. Even in local driving I occasionally glance at it for "situational awareness" (pilot term) - you might be surprised to see how your location relates to your surroundings (gee, I didn't know that river came so close to this road, etc.) Necessary? Not really, Useful and interesting Yes. At least to me. Especially for travel. Besides, I've got the best car, why not have the best equipment. There's no gain I can see to not having it and at least some gain to having it. So why not have it all?
    I should have my LS 430 delivered within next 10 to 12 days.I would like to know wether there are any early owners of this vehicle who regret their decision to buy/lease the vehicle.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Flint 350 - agree wholeheartedly - had dinner last night along atlantic ocean and nav system showed this great blue body of water with small sliver of land next to it. Looked awesome on screen.

post 566 - absolutely no regrets - car gets better everyday.
  • jpressmanjpressman Member Posts: 1
    I will soon be purchasing a 1997 LS400 and am also a stereo and music buff. I cannot seem to find much info about the nakamichi stereo upgrade for older LS400s. Can anyone give me any information regarding the differences between the regular and upgraded stereo? Also, If I want a very high quality stereo in the car, will the Nakamichi satisfy or should I just forget about it and install aftermarket stereo equip. Any opinions?
    Thanks
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    My car hits port this Friday...can't wait...take comfort in knowing that you made the correct decision....I am notorious for turning over every leaf many times as I compare against the competition.....The LS430 is the right choice.

When I have a few weeks under the belt...I will tell all...as I know you will.

Good Luck...
  • hage45hage45 Member Posts: 13
    I ordered,in January,a silver/ecru custom luxury package. My dealer has informed me that this car will be available the first week of March.However, I will not take delivery until the end of March (do to lease timing.) I was quoted 67,195 or 67,995, I'm not sure which. In addition to the custom luxury package, I have included perforated leather, lexus link and 17 inch chrome wheels. In addition, the custom luxury package includes variable air suspension. As was previously posted, the custom luxury package is the ultra luxury package without the rear seat goodies,including the manual rear-seat sun shades. Since I have not yet seen the car or the invoice, this is still a bit of assumption on my part,however, I believe it is correct. When I know more,I'll let you all know.
  • skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    1) I have been talking to a dealer here in San Rafael,CA about the "Custom Luxury Package" for a couple of months now. And even as recently as this past Saturday (2/17/01) he continues to insist that he (the salesman) was being told that there would be no "Custom Luxury Package". Now I read on the forum here that there are at least two people who have in fact placed orders for the Custom Luxury Package. Question, am I being lied to by this dealer, just so that I will purchase a car that they currently have in stock? Or is there no Custom Luxury Package?

2) If there is indeed a Custom Luxury Package does anyone know if the interior/wood schemes are those of the Standard or those of the Ultra Luxury? As an example the Standard scheme is Ecru, Black, and Ivory leather with either the Birds Eye Maple or the California Burled Walnut. Where the Ultra Luxury interior/wood scheme is Ecru Nappa leather with the Ecru Wood(Gray) or the Black Aniline leather with the Bourdeau Wood(wine)? Not to mention the fact that the Ultra Luxury has extra leather trim on the door armrests, center counsel and the doors of the glove compartment. How many if any of these features will be included with the Custom Luxury Package?

I can't seem to get reliable information from the dealer.
    My dealer did not find out that Custom Luxury was definately available until Saturday afternoon, 2/17. He called me immediately because I had been persistent about it during the last few days. I asked him about the wood color and he thinks it will be the ultra colors, but he will be checking on that for me this week. I'll let you know what I find. I don't know about the extra leather trim. I really don't think your dealer is trying to mislead you intentionally. I think the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

I'm trying to find out the dealer's invoice cost of the Custom Luxury option package by itself without the car.
    I'm really glad to hear it. I have been waiting for this option package since the car first hit the show room back in mid October. But I could never get any of my questions answered. I'll be looking for additional info from your posts with great anticipation. Thanks alot!
    Nakamichi stereo is a hair under the new Mark Levinson system. It also had a symphony hall like sound. I'm not up to date on after market stereo equipment but in new car equipment the Nakamachi was always regarded as the best available sound by the reviewers. I had it in my 98 LS400 and loved it.
  • msemmsem Member Posts: 6
    Got our LS430 on Dec 1. We decided against NAV System. Living on MS Gulf Coast. Know our local area including Mobile and New Orleans. Also Nav System is only as good as source disc. In our area on-line mapping services and source disc keeping showing roads that do not exist. Also new roads are not shown. Really enjoy the car. My husband has back problems and never complains of lack of support for his back, even on road trips. Drove to Orlando area for Christmas. Got great gas milage. Averaged over 26 mpg on I-10 across the Florida Panhandle. (The area is very hilly until you get near the Pensacola area.) Rear seats very easy for in-laws to get in and our. Dad is 6'2 and was surprised at the head room he had. Also Mom had knee replacements on both knees and found getting in and out of car easy. Truck space is hugh and I found easy to use.
    As for usefullness of NAV System, it's a personnel decision and may depend on the area you live and will be driving. Good Luck MSEm
    The manager of my dealership has told me(again,I have yet seen the car)that the custom luxury includes the same wood/leather,including the extra leather,as the ultra luxury includes. This will have been my 4th lexus that I have ordered, and is certainly the most convoluted ordering process to date. Hopefully the end result will be worth the wait.
    I'm a bit confused.(Oh by the way thanks for the info from your post #576 much appreciated). When reading your first post #570 you indicated that you chose to get perforated seats. I thought that perforated seats were a part of the Custom Luxury package, as they are a part of the Ultra Luxury package. Also the price that you were quoted $67,200 to $68,000, this price is just about the same as an Ultra luxury without the chrome wheels. Shouldn't there be a price difference between these two packages of at least $2,000 to $4,000? Where am I wrong here?
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Nice pics and very nice car... looks immaculate. I'm not in the market (nor do I know where you are - CA license plate?), but you should have NO problem selling your car. An ad in the local paper will probably sell it in a week for what you want as long as it's not too high over average prices in the area. I think it said 88500 miles which is certainly reasonable for a '93.

I sold my last car privately, the first time I've done so (traded in other times). I'll never trade in again unless it's a bomb I want to unload. If the car is nice and well maintained the extra money you make (even accounting for full sales tax you'll pay on new car instead of on delta over trade-in) is worth the effort, and it's neat to make someone very happy.

Good luck!
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    Just bought a '99 LS 400 (Certified w/100K warranty) with only 12,600 miles, paid $42,688. Black with Black with wood steering and Nav. Love the car, Hard leather on seat makes my back sore, anyone else find this problem. Can seat padding be altered to make it softer??? I'm 53 and a little bit past prime, but would love to find a solution to this otherwise perfect automobile.
  • ls430ormbe320ls430ormbe320 Member Posts: 2
    How does the Lexus rate to the MB320 in terms of safety? Will have 2 car seats in back seat of car.
    Having not seem the invoice on my custom luxury car, it is my understanding that you can not get the custom luxury or the ultra luxury, for that matter, without adding in perforated leather seats. I have a copy of a November,2000 invoice for a 2001 LS 430,ultra luxury car. It is as follows: suggested retail-54,005;ultra luxury selection-12,505;interior pkg w/comfort leather(perforated leather?)-1,460;17" tires with chrome wheels-1,800;trunk mat-66;wheel locks-59; and add in delivery-545; equals-70,440. Based on this, that 67,200 figure maybe close. When I get a copy of my invoice in a couple of weeks,I"ll let you know.
    I called the Lexus Customer Assistance Center today.They informed me that the Custom Luxury Option is every thing in the Ultra Lux.Group minus Lexus Link and the rear seat A/C,Massage and power rear seat.Perforated leather seats either Ecru ($1450) or Black/Bordeaux(approx.$2150) is a requirement on Custom Lux.Group.However all Custom Lux come with the air suspension.MSRP for the Custom Lux.Group is $8820.
    I also wanted a version of the Ultra Lux that didn't include the back seat luxury stuff, but the one nice thing about it is the refrigerated storage compartment. It is in the back seat middle section (covered up if you have 3 people in the back seat), and big enough to hold 6 cans of some kind of soft drink (or maybe not so soft, I guess).

The location of this compartment is not very convenient for the driver, but the fact that it is cooled by an independent air conditioner is a big advantage (the cooled compartment in the MB E320 is run off the main air conditioner and so if you are not running the a/c, the drinks aren't cooled either).

So the down side of the Custom Lux package would be losing that cold storage compartment. Whether it is worth $3685 (that's $12,505 Ultra Lux minus $8,820 Custom Lux) is another matter.
  • gumpsgumps Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if the Custom Lux model includes heated AND air cooled front seats?
  • jrdh23ajrdh23a Member Posts: 10
    I have an LS430 with the ultra luxury pkg. and love it except for the Sprint phone system. The coverage is terrible, the tone quality is terrible and you have to stop the car to dial a number on the keypad on the Nav system. Otherwise you must dial by looking down and backwards onto the tiny keypad on the phone. What a disaster! I have called the satisfaction hotline multiple times and they offered to buy the phone back---but what am I to do--take it to cellular one and have somebody drill the dash? Also, the inability to choose anything but Sprint digital is unacceptable! Anybody else with some thoughts on this?
    Lexus knows they made a mistake with that phone. Let them buy it back and arrange for the dealer to uninstall it. Of course, tell them that you don't want any holes or anything weird looking. They may leave some of it behind and just take the phone itself. That way you may be able to use the stuff for your next phone. I'd wait until the dealer has had some experience uninstalling it, but I wouldn't let anyone do it except the Lexus dealer.

I've heard terrible things about that phone, but a fix is in the works.
    Yes, the Custom Lux model includes heated AND air cooled front seats. That's why it requires the perforated leather.
    Has anyone noticed all the great deals on other brands of autos? For instance Lincoln is offering $5,000 off one model, and I've seen some other offering $3,000 off. This MSRP thing going on at Lexus isn't going to last long. (My salesman offered $2,000 off several weeks ago, probably because I'm a repeat customer; I think he can do much better.) I'm wanting to put off buying so I can get a lower price, but I don't want to get caught in that rumoured MSRP price increase.

I've been looking for the dealer's invoice price on the Custom Luxury group--no luck yet. Has anyone else run across it? (not MSRP, but dealer's invoice)
  • lexusfleet1lexusfleet1 Member Posts: 1
    I work in sales at a Lexus dealership. Lexus is NOT making the custom lux in 2001. Sorry. if you want to e-mail me bcelli@aol.com
  • gumpsgumps Member Posts: 17
    I was just in to see the dealer today about a custom lux. He gave me the brochure and the options package was listed right in it (options for 2001). Are you saying that Lexus has changed their mind and are not offering now? Hel also said the cars are coming in with inconsistant options, i.e. 16 inch vs 17 tires, NAV etc. I think the longer you wait, the more choice in configuration you will get even if the price does go up some.
    Okay boys and girls, what's the deal here with this Custom Luxury? Is there a Custom Luxury or not? I am concerned about this matter because this is my option package of choice. I have waited for this package since the introduction of this car in October, and have gotten nothing but conflicting accounts as to what it is and if the package was even going to be produced.

Just when it seemed like there was some clarity on this matter thanks to the posts by "barb85", "hage45" and others "lexusfleet1" says that there is no Custom Luxury for 2001. What gives?
  • mnesshmnessh Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure this question has already been asnwered, but I have a new LS430 with the Navigation system. The salesmen said it could play DVDs as long as the car was in park. If this is possible, where do insert the disk, in the CD player or where. Sorry for asking such a dumb question but any help would be appreciated.
    It's in the trunk under the carpet. I asked the same question after reading Edmunds write-up on the LX470. Beware though - my salesman said he wouldn't touch it but he is a conservative guy.
  • ls430ormbe320ls430ormbe320 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my car with the specified options i wanted. no nav/lev or link package, but got 17s and heated seats along w/ the base package. Why pay for something you never use!
    Saturday, 2/17, was when my dealer found out that Custom Lux is back on track; it's in production in February. Before the 17th, my dealer was telling me that Custom Lux was postponed for an indefinate period; and Lexus Customer Satisfaction in California verified it. They didn't even have a price for that option package because it didn't exist YET. Now, however, orders are being taken and the price is $8,820 for the Custom Lux package.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Here's my lease deal on car with NAV/ML, 17s, Link...

MSRP $61,230

My Px $58,975

12000 miles a year with $0 money down, $0 security deposit, $0 disposition fee, 7.92% finance cost through Lexus

Lux and sales tax included in payment...

39 months at $994 per

I think this was a good price and lease package.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Back in September, I was thinking I wanted the custom lux, too. After all when I'm in my car, I'm in the front seat. However, I decided I couldn't wait. Now that I have the ultra lux, I'm glad I went with it. What I learned is that my guests absolutely love riding in the back seat. The extra $3000 provides a significant WOW factor. Decide whether you want to save significant cash by buying the base plus an option or two, or bite the bullet get the Ultra lux. Impress yourself and pamper your friends.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    A small item for those of you looking to lease a new LS430 - or any other vehicle for that matter.

Your annual registration payment is due around month #36 or 37, on your anniversary date.

If you return the LS to the dealer after month #39, you will lose a large part of your registration payment.

Perhaps you can arrange a discount on any new Lexus that covers the loss on the license renewal?
    Looks like you got your new LS430 which has all the comforts,interior dimensions and performance of MB S500 at a price most would pay for a MB E430 without Comand. I know for sure that LS is 0.2second slower than S500 at 0-60mph but I am intrested to find out the acceleration from 50-80mph on both these vehicles.My guess is that they are pretty close.Enjoy your new car and keep us posted regularly about the performance,service at the local dealership.