Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    On my GX - on a trip down south the nav wanted to take me off I95 and loop around DC and Baltimore on the Beltway. It even wanted me to get off the road and switch directions on I95 to maintain its planned route - which was crazy. I just ignored it. Turned out that I had the setting on to avoid tolls by mistake. I didn't realize it until I was north of Baltimore and stopped in one of those Maryland house rest stops. So I assume this was the cause of the odd behavior as it has worked fine ever since. My son is always playing with the nav system so he must have been the culprit fot the toll avoidance setting. Once I came back to my car and found myself in the middle of Las Vegas. Another time he had the whole US sitting on the screen. I didn't even know you could scale the system that wide. The LS430 has the latest nav system and it works great.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    I Emailed Lexus today to complain about the GDT nav data. The reply was that they switched to GDT for the 2004 systems for "business" reasons. They are aware of complaints and are looking into it. Kind of non-commital but if enough of us complain, they may switch back to Navteq data.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    What is an acoustic map? Is this where your wife says, "Turn left up there"? Or are you talking about maps that make a loud crackling noise when you fold them?

In any case, you should give the nav system another try. It is really quite good overall.
    They say the bluetooth phones will be hear real soon. I'm not holding my breath.
  • balderdashbalderdash Member Posts: 17
    A while back people were talking about Bridgestone Turanza LS H tires. I got a set to replace my OEs on my 2001 LS 430. The OEs were worn out at about 24,000 miles. I now have about 25,000 miles on the Turanzas, with almost no tred wear to date, and they are smooth and quiet. (16 inch wheels). So I highly recommend them. (I mail ordered them from Tire Rack and had them shipped to a local garage for installation.)
    You can't draw statistical conclusions from anecdotal info, but I would be inclined to agree with recent observations here that LS quality has slipped. My 99 LS 400 was perfect. My 2001 LS 430 has had several annoying but not serious problems. I finally gave up on getting a driver door rattle fixed after 6 attempts by the dealer to do so. They lessened it but could not eliminate it altogether. I had a minor episode with steering wheel retraction groan but the dealer fixed that, unlike some reports here in the forum by people for whom it has been a major problem. I am more concerned by design problems such as the car's unwillingness to downshift smoothly under various conditions. I thought perhaps the change to a six speed transmission on the new models would create less space between shift points and hence smoother downshifts for more flexible operation. But someone here said they were having trouble with noise in the new six-speed, so that's not encouraging. We'll see when I go for my next LS with six-speed.
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    I was wondering what brand were your original equipment tires that gave you such poor service??? I currently have a 2003 LS430 Ultra with the 17" OE Dunlop tires. I have about 20,400 mile on the set and am totally happy so far( very little wear,very quiet,stay well-balanced,etc). This is my fifth Lexus since 1992 and I have had mostly Michelin tires with no problems,but none better than these Dunlops. All have been maintained the same with rotation/balance every 6,000 miles.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    I've got an 02 with 30,000 miles on it and still have the original Dunlop's on them. When I went for the 30K mi. service, the rep said I probably had another 5-8K left on them. So far so good. But with all the rave reviews on the Bridgestones, I think I'll switch. How much did you pay for your 16" tires? My car has the 17", but maybe it will be a good estimate. Thanks.
  • mjindallasmjindallas Member Posts: 4
    I'm just about to purchase an '04 LS430. Does anyone have any detail on changes for '05?

Also, there's conflicting info on this board about when the total redesign is due...is it model year 06 or 07? Or is it '07 coming in fall of '06, perhaps?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I believe the 2005 will only have minor changes, and I mean very minor. I believe I have read that 18" wheels will be in greater availability. Other than that and maybe a change in 1 or 2 colors, I wouldn't expect much.
    I think I paid Tire Rack about $105 per tire for the 16 inch Turanza LS H tires, but I don't remember for certain. My OEs that wore out so quick were Yokohamas, not the Dunlops that you guys with later models have, which seem to be giving you better service.
    How did the LS-Hs effect handling compared to the OEM V-rated tires?

My uncle has a 00 LS400 which I help him do alot of maint./repairs on because he is clueless about those issues and he needs you tires.
    He was about to pay the dealer $180 a tire for the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 4000's that can be bought on tire rack for about a $100. I recommended him to the LS-Hs.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      I had Turanza's on my 92 LS. Normally I'm a Michelin man, but I was really impressed by them. Bridgestone makes a great snow tire in the Blizzak as well.

So far my Dunlops have given me 21K miles and probably have half tread left in them. In my case, they are taken off for snow tires for 4 mos a year. I think Bridgestone offers a far better value for the money. The MXV4 Energy tires for my 92 LS were $138 a tire. They ride well, but I'm not impressed with the wear on them.

I think the redesign is mid-06. This of course is speculation on my part. I haven't seen any hard data on what they are doing. Let's hope it's a nice looking car.

SV
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    18" wheels available on all configurations, all season tires avail. for 18' wheels. No color changes.
    The chime comes on at 5,000 miles as a service reminder and the triangular symbol sits there on the dash as if there is something wrong. They never had that before. On the GX they have a more subtle reminder. I'm still going 8-10K between services except the first free one. I'm also going to see if that reminder can be turned off. Lexus doesn't need to be Big Brother.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    See post #6035 this forum.
    Thanks. I missed that.
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I paid $150 per tire for the LSZ special order from Costco a year ago. These were $25 less than any other place, but they were difficult to find, and it took Costco about a month to finally get them in. They were worth the wait.
  • mjindallasmjindallas Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Stevestein!
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    The lexus check has arrived $1,239 for the rotors being changed as I insisted they are covered under warranty. Through lexus mediation they agreed to send a refund .

I am able to protect the Dynamic Cruise Control Module [ I had to replace it as the glass was corroded and cracked on the module[a $2000 replacement]. I used self adhering vinyl on both the transmitter and receptor windows. This self adhering vinyl is used on LCD displays on computers and digital cameras. You peel off the vinyl and fix it on the glass and it sticks [no adhesives] it can be removed at any time. The product is sold in camera stores. I have used it now for 3 weeks and the module works perfectly and I feel protected from road debris and salted roads.The product cost $9.70.
    I have a 2001 LS 430 Ultra.
    In response to maxhonda99, I confess I'm not terribly sensitive to the way a car handles, and I didn't notice any difference in that respect between the OE Yokos and the new Turanzas. I would only have noticed if there were a gross difference, which there wasn't. Sorry I can't be of more help.

My driving style is generally conservative, except that I accelerate very briskly away from stops and traffic lights, availing myself of the LS 430's amazing low-end acceleration (torque?), and almost invariably leave most other drivers in my dust. I don't understand why so few others routinely accelerate as I do. It doesn't really have to do so much with their cars' capabilities, because occasionally, (very seldom) when I come up against someone who does accelerate as I do, they stay with me even if they are driving an ordinary car. When that happens, since I am not actually drag racing them, I don't try to pour on the steam to see if I can ultimately out-accelerate them, which in most cases I probably could. My behavior lets them know I'm not competing. Most people seem to pick up speed from a traffic light slowly, but end up exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph or so. I'm the opposite. I start very fast but hold at the speed limit once I reach it. (I'm talking about the San Francisco area where I live. Maybe it's different elsewhere.)
    Am I crazy?
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I'm looking for some recommendations as to what I should expect for a discount off of MSRP when I start negotiating for an '05 LS. I realize that the figure will vary by region, but at least I will have some idea. I'm looking for the Premium Package, Smart Access and 18" wheels as options, with an estimated MSRP of about $58,500-$59,000, depending on Lexus' '05 pricing structure. Thanks for your help.

Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congratulations on winning the refund. That's great to hear.
    2005 or 2004? They won't discount the 2005 in September much if any. Demand is too high that early in the model year and lease programs automatically keep the car close to sticker.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I posted this on the high-end luxury board, but it applies here as well...

The car connection just did a review of the LS 430 and seems to think it is the best luxury car out there:

"You can make a case for either of the German competitors' dynamics or the English Jaguar's styling, but the truth is that right now there's no better luxury car on Earth than the Japanese-made Lexus LS 430."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7351&sid=18- - - - 3&n=157
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think there's pretty much of a consensus on that. Car and Driver and Consumer Reports recently concluded the same thing. It's amazing that the Germans, in particular, have allowed this to happen.
    Let's not go overboard here. The best car is purely subjective. It is based on each person's preference. If it really was the best car, nobody would be buying anything else in it's class.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Sure people would buy other cars even if Lexus is the best in class.

Evidence: They do buy other cars that are not as good as lexus and even pay more for them...

Reasons:

1) They are uninformed buyers.
    2) They buy prestege.
    3) They buy engine size.
    4) Looks..Inside or out.
    5) They have always bought BMW or Mercedes or Jag or whatever.

I am sure there are many other reasons...
    Purchase of a luxury car is often if not usually based on subjective criteria. I'm as guiity of it as anyone. But, I contend, if you are buying one on purely objective criteria, the LS430 will win out.
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    Most buyers buy brand. Ever heard a Mercedes owner tell you he's taking his car to the shop? No way. It's always, "I have to go to Mercedes today". It's no different from Armani or Tiffany to him. His self-image is tied to the identity of the car. Ask yourselves this. Would you be driving this car if it were the Toyota LS 430. My guess is most of you would say yes. But maybe only now that you've owned the car. How many of you were initially buying the brand? Ironically, Japan marketed Lexus on its acute understanding of this brand-obsessed culture but they can't have expected that their quality and style would surpass the image they tried to evoke. This is why their advertising has always felt pedestrian. Remember the initial Infiniti commercials. They intuited that redundancy to such a fault that they didn't even show the car. Hilarious and brilliant. And they still can't sell Q-45's, which are almost in the 430 league.
    mapleleaf:

The Lexus/Toyota LS430 is actually sold under a different name in Japan and wears the Toyota badge but is the same car or in some cases a more advance version of the car)

In my judgement the Mercedes S class is almost in the same league as the LS 430...Maybe you have been drawn to Mercedes by that string around your finger..The LS reputation for quality and dependability, interior design, and amenities are what drew me to it.

I like the wind tunnel ad. and the pass key ad. At least they stress quality in their advertising rather then "strings around your finger"
    Tiered branding exists in every business on earth. Sometimes it exists for different distinctions. In the case of Toyota it made imminent sense to create a luxury nameplate apart from the Toyota name. Now it is about to get worldwide rollout. They have done the same with the Scion - going in the other direction. So they can say they have 3 distinct car lines now - high-end luxury, mainstream and sport/youth. Smart business. The alternative is trying to bridge all of that under one nameplate. Look at the problems BMW and MB are having with their small cars coming to America. They are scared to death that it will defeat their luxury names - and they should be scared - because it will. This is probably more the case for MB because of its numerous quality problems right now. I'm sorry but cars that sell for $40-$140k do not belong in the same dealership as cars that sell for $18K-22K. You can't effectively market that broad of a range of product under a luxury nameplate. Not here anyway.

The Q misses the mark badly and falls short of a true high-end sedan. That and the fact that Infiniti has been so inconsistent with it's definition is why it doesn't sell. But it still outsells an A8 here.
    Thanks for the info.
    Thanx for the BlueTooth info. Looks like it may be about $250 with a two year contract? Let's see if that's what Verizon wants for it. Motorola should be a good product.
    Please notice the line about Verizon customers having to wait patiently. My patience was down to a 30 day supply.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_V710/4505-6454_7-30980661-2.html- ?tag=top
  • hsmyers2002hsmyers2002 Member Posts: 7
    I've had my '04 LS430 for about a month now. I love the car. It is so much nicer than the E-Class it's replacing.

With that said, I am very disappointed with the ML sound system. My problem is not with the sound quality. It's fine. My problem is with the speaker balancing. It doesn't matter which DSP setting I choose, the sound seems to come from the front of the car, rather than surrounding me. I think this is a result of mounting the rear speakers in the doors rather than the rear shelf.

Playing with the DSP settings (the picture with the 4 seats) helps some, but the sound still comes mostly from the front.

I've tried changing the speaker balance, but if you adjust it towards the back so that the sound surrounds you, then the sound quality gets noticeably worse (the high end starts to go away). Again I think this is because the rear speakers are mounted low in the doors, and are blocked by the front seats.

The Bose system in my E-Class did not have this problem (it had speakers in the rear shelf). Has anyone else noticed this?
  • browserbrowser Member Posts: 1
    Is there a hack, fix, or modification that will allow me to use my bluetooth mobile phone (dial a number in the car's directory or dial a number I enter) while moving?

Is there a hack, fix or modification that will allow me to enter new destination data or change an existing destination in the navigation system while moving?
    (1) 8-inch subwoofer installed in the rear deck. I did find the note I just posted here in the Specs on ML system. Granted the higher end speakers are located in the front and rear doors. I have been switching between Driver position DSP setting and the all seats setting to see if I can tell much difference. I haven't decided yet. I did not notice a large improvement when going from the regular LS430 radio/cd to the ML system in the 2004. I don't have any experience to compare it with such as the MB. In closing, I'm satisfied with the ML system and enjoy it a lot.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    I was told high end car stereo shops know how to make these modifications. I haven't found any that know what I'm talking about.

I'm now looking into doing this myself for my '04 LS. I got the wiring diagrams. I plan to interrupt the speed signal wires going to the nav system and LCD display with Bluetooth system. My goal is to tie the AFS switch to a relay connected to these speed signals. So just switch off AFS to enter a destination or access the phonebook. The AFS light in the cluster is a reminder to reenable the speed signals.

This is all theory at this point. I don't know how to get the LCD display out of the dash (without potentially breaking or scratching some piece of trim). The connectors I need to access are up high behind the dash. I hope the LCD hole gives me access.

I'll post here if I get this all figured out but I'm pretty busy with work and life right now so be patient.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    I needed a state inspection today, and a NY Lexus service center scratched a part of my rear and left deep scratches on the fender itself as a service agent drove another Lexus onto mine.

The service manager 1st wanted to sand down both area and re-paint. Later, we agreed to replace the fender with a new one, and then re-paint. Since I have parking sensors on my 2003 LS, this is no minor job.

I am very concerned over the re-painting as I have never had one done for over 15 years. Back in the 80's, I had bad mismatches for a Honda. Under street lamps, the silver color just stood out.

Any experience anyone can share here?

Thanks!

Paul
    I do not have experience on my LS but my brother-in-law own's a body shop he says you will get a perfect match since the car is new and the orginal paint has not had a chance to fade.

He also told me about a $15,000 sensor that he own's that will give him the exact mix necessary to match any paint color ...
    Can you tell me what is the name for this 15K sensor? I might want to ask if they use one.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Check with your dealer to see where there are Lexus authorized body shops in your area. These body shops have special training from Lexus and do work according to Lexus factory specs - there are no shortcuts. Any body shop will work on a Lexus, but only a few are Lexus authorized.
    The body shop is not my concern, as it is authorized and is part of the Lexus dealership. They do Lexus, Acura, BMW, Rolls, and MErcedes under 1 roof. They promised to use a new fender cover and spray the "body area" scratch, which is showing the bare metal. (As an aside, the thickness of the LS430 bidy paint is quite noticeable!)

My concern is simply color match, as the only other time I had body work done was on a Honda Prelude, back in 1985. Everytime that car was parked under a street light at night, you can tell it was re-painted.

I am sure the technology has changed since, but I am a bit concerned that it will be both an eye sore and will cost me 1-2K in trade in value in a few years. All this at an "elite of Lexus" service center. I cannot believe it.
    Paul:

Make it clear to them if you don't like the work they will need to put on a new Bumper...Get their Agreement...Should be no problem they aim to please and it was their fault.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ...in this month's Motor Trend comparo. The new Audi A8 just edged it. Following the LS was the Phaeton, the S class, and the Beemer 7 -- in that order.

Seem about right?
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    the a8 is terrific to test-drive, but needs time to have its flaws corrected. before i decided on which new lux sedan, i'd been so happy with my audi a6 wagon, my dealership and particularly my mechanic, that i seriously considered the a8 and even tested the phaeton for comparison. both feel too heavy and long, drifting in corners and tempting over-breaking. yes, the wooded interiors are lux but not any more than the ls. my guess is that the exterior styling of the ls, the rear of which slightly reminds one of the previous mb s-series in it's boxiness, doesn't appeal to reviewers who like a more sleek style. truth is that mb does a better job of creating that look than audi/volks. the interiors of the latter feel dark and cramped, almost but not as bad as the chrysler 300/dodge magnum short window style.

i'm 5000 miles into this ls. i've spent almost no time in auto, the shifting is far more preferable. the ratios of the ls, putting city and slow two-lane country in 3rd with lots of power, is perfect. the audi/phaeton revved higher here and forced you into 4th too early.
    besides, my trusted audi mechanic of many years, looked around the shop at all the new a8's in for early problems (mostly computer/electrical) and said quietly to me, "there's nothing for you here."
    A recent Car and Driver comparison had the A8L rated 4th and the LS430 1st. Looks to me like in most respects that can be measured the LS is superior. Nobody mentioned the aluminum body, but to me that would be a big negative for the A8. And even with the aluminum, the A8 weighs more than the LS430.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    A couple of other Lexus sites have threads citing news articles and NTSB/Lexus bulletins regarding replacement of transmissions and fuel pumps in certain (13,000!!) 2004 LS430s. It appears that the recalls apply to cars built between July 2003 and January 2004, but you need to check your specific VIN. The transmission problem involves an internal metal piece that can break off and jam the Park function. The fuel pump problem involves a pump impeller that can become distorted and stop the pump. Affected owners will receive letters from Lexus, but you might not want to wait...

Tom in Vista