Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• leza2279leza2279 Member Posts: 10
    After experiencing similar problems, I contacted Motorola about not being able to upload the phonebook. Motorola responded and stated that they are aware of the problem and will be issuing a software upgrade within the next 60 days and that I should contact Verizon to get the upgrade when it is available.
    Jerry
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Thanks for the info on the Blue Tooth Phone book. I checked with my dealer and he was going to copy some info off the computer for the Motorola 6XX phone with Blue Tooth but was not sure it would help to download the phone book. Sounds like Motorola is going to resolve the problem. I found a setting on the phone under Car Settings > Auto Answer > On/Off. I guess I have the option to select Auto Answer of leave it off and depress the phone button when I get an incoming call? A nice new toy.
    The XM Radio antenna mounted on the side of the trunk lid did not please me esthetically. The cord also wrapped around the light cable to the trunk and interferred with the retraction of the cable. They moved it without damaging the paint, and I like the new location a lot better. As for the hesitation in down shifting at low speeds, I have noticed the same and read about other comments on this forum some time ago. I am willing to accept the lag as the transmission is evidently trying to find a lower gear that is suitable for the required response.
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    Re: shift select.
    The manual S alternative allows you to select your gear instead of the car automatically up or downshifting. Granted, in the D mode, the computer is supposed to recognize your driving style in addition to the ECT option marginally delaying the upshift, but for complete control of the tran put the car into S and select 3. This will automatically start you off the line in 1, move you into 2 and stop the upshifting at 3. I find for city and slow two-lane roads this is perfect. The compression brakes the car as you approach slow traffic or stops. And should you get to 4000 or so revs, which is well over 40 mph, you can upshift to 4, etc. As you need to slow down approaching ramps, turns, etc, downshift. Effectively it's like a manual tran without a clutch pedal and it is a wonderful option as it successfully allows a much sportier control of a fairly heavy vehicle. I only drive this way. It's become habit to put the car into 3. Don't think I've seen 6 more than a couple of times.
    p.s. My gas mileage has not been affected by driving this way. Although I'm averaging higher revs, I'm using the gas pedal more steadily, never having to kick down in order to get to a lower gear. And I find that this style of driving the LS is better for countering the slippage problems in the the tran. And I bet my brakes last longer. Enjoy.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    What stories has anyone heard about what Lexus is doing with the thousands of 6-speed transmissions they are taking out of '04 LS's?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    My guess is they will probably be rebuilt for sale. I believe only a few parts in the transmissions actually need to get replaced as part of the recall, therefore it makes sense for the old ones to be rebuilt and resold.
  • asleepasleep Member Posts: 4
    I have a new LS430(build 6/2004) and have no transmission downshift hesitation. I bought the Sony/Ericsson T630 and it seamlessly integrated with the LS430 bluetooth. I receive calls in the car as well.

Tell me how you like your XM radio? I'm considering installing it.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Thanks to wwest and others, the Bridgestone tires finally came in, and were installed...I found them to eliminate a growling noise when the car was turning into a drive way at a slow speed. I also found them to be fine in a downpour driving from Miami on I 95.. I must admit the Dunlap that they replaced was not a poor tire, but this is a bit better..

While down in Miami, I notice a great number of exotic cars--almost all you could think of--sometimes several Fer--Por-Mass--in a row...There were many more BMW 7 than any othe car, just dozens and dozens, all over the place.. The far second was Mercedes...For some reason there were very few Lexus--like just one or two...In the parking garage mostly Merc and BMW Bentley, Porsche...I was low man on the totem pole, and my map deal was very slow to tell me wher is was..

I was wondering if anyone with the cooling seats has noticed they seem to stop working after the car is a year old or so..It was a long drive down there, so I really noticed that sort of thing...Tony
    The XM Radio with the Lexus Receiver will set you back about $750 installed. As you know, XM subscription is roughly $10 per month. The fidelity is great. The selection of stations is good, and there is no advertising on the music stations. I rarely play my CD anymore. Another plus is that you always have a station out here in the west where stations fade when you get out of town. You can take a look at the XM web site to check out and listen to their offerings.
    I had the following response from an e-mail I sent to Lexus telling them that Mototola was aware of the problems with the V710 phone downloading the phone book. Their response: "Currently, Lexus does not recommend the Motorola V710. We can only recommend the V600 at this time. However, we appreciate the feedback on your vehicle so that we may consider these concerns when designing future models. I have documented your concerns at our national headquarters. I am sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused you." end of quote.
    I was aware that Lexus had not adopted the V710 yet but was unwilling to go with providers other than Verizon.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Been busy and didn't even realize the v710 was out until I caught up to the recent posts. Isn't the v710 an updated version of the v600. I thought I read that somewhere. Also if Motorola has a software fix coming out as someone posted won't that fix both the upload and call ringing problem. Lastly for those who've bought the phone - Does the phone at least let the car speaker system handle the dialogue between you and the caller. If it does the latter I'll be satisfied. 80% of my calls go to 5 people so the address book isn't a big concern for me though I imagine it would be a big problem for anyone in sales.
    Been busy and didn't even realize the v710 was out until I caught up to the recent posts. Isn't the v710 an updated version of the v600. I thought I read that somewhere. Also if Motorola has a software fix coming out as someone posted won't that fix both the upload and call ringing problem. Lastly for those who've bought the phone - Does the phone at least let the car speaker system handle the dialogue between you and the caller. If it does the latter I'll be satisfied. 80% of my calls go to 5 people so the address book isn't a big concern for me though I imagine it would be a big problem for anyone in sales.

Tony - I'm not in the Miami area that much but I am north of there often from West Palm and Boca down to Ft Lauderdale and always saw a ton of Lexi - mainly ES, LS and RX (even LX) on the road. Fla is a bellweather state for Lexus and some of the biggest dealers are down there. Look up wealth zipcodes and Lexus dealerships sometime and you'll see where they are concentrated. Florida is a money machine for them. Actually it's a weak area for BMW who's big strength is California - particularly with the 3 and 5 series. The West coast - particularly Longboat Key and Naples has a high ratio of lux cars to regular cars probably one of the highest anywhere I've been. I'll bet its 1 (all lux makes collectively) for every 3 cars you see
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I had mine included with my new car lease and they charged me 1250. That was the retail price as shown on a promo document they had which listed dealer installed options. I really don't trust this dealer anymore so was wondering where I can find the actual retail price.

That said, the system is fantastic. The digital quality is a very noticeable upgrade from normal radio and no commercials. I highly reccomend it.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Is Sirius Radio an offered option to XM on the LS?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Peltier thermoelectric heat transfer elements, basically a BUNCH of specialty diodes sandwiched between two heat sinks. In my experience up to now they have a fairly high failure rate, one shorted diode and its all over.
    Thank you maxhonda for your guess, but what I was looking for was what dealers are telling owners you when you ask, "What is Lexus doing with the thousands of 6-speed transmissions they are taking out of '04 LS's?"
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ....replacements, the removed transmissions are bing repaired and put into other LS430 cars coming in for recall repairs. At the end of the process, there are a few hundred transmissions left to be used later in the coming years.
    I was primarily around Brickell Ave and the south end of Miami Beach. Just trying to get around and not get lost

I would concur with all you say, and I personally don`t really care for the re-designed rear of the 7 BMW, and that is why they were so prominent. Truly I must have seen thirty or forty in an hour of driving around..Of course all the spectacular cars were everywhere , so I had a fine time just looking. Here in Charleston S C you might see a Ferrari one or twice a year, hardly ever RR , new Bentley etc. The second car was Mercedes, and maybe ten or so of them. Really strange no Lexus.. Tony
  • asleepasleep Member Posts: 4
    My dealer is charging $1,000 to install XM satellite radio post purchase.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I have a few questions about satellite radio for all of you in the know. In addition to music, I love sports. And now the NFL has exclusive rights with Sirius Radio. Does anyone have experience with both XM & Sirius? What are your thoughts? Is Sirius even available for the LS430?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yep, already lost one in my Lincoln, but when they are working, they are just awesome for cooling!! Would hate to go without one now...
  • carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    I had a flat on right rear today. Low tire never came on yet it came on in winter as air changed in tires.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I was in the Brickell Ave. area several years ago and also went to Palm beach and have never seen so many convertible Ferraris in my life.

I am also in Charleston and am starting to see some high end cars here.
    A lady at Tradd and East Bay has a Maybach.
    Lots of new Ferraris around.
    There is a Modena convertible in Mt. Peasant.
    Saw a new Maserati yesterday In West Ashley.

Also Lexus of Charleston will be moving to a new location.

Don't miss my LS400 at all. Am having a blast driving the SRX and have already put 11,000 miles on it in less than 6 months.
    Check out the Microsoft campus.....
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Gates and Balmer drives SUVs, not very NBA like. Besides, they really have no time to drive.

I did see quite a few Porsches, but really not too many Ferraris or Lambos.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Just picked up my LS430 with the dealer inflected damage. Seems like after they fixed the scratch on the body and replaced the bumper, they managed to put a "possible" permanent crease on my back seats.

As they replaced the bumper cover, thy moved the contents of my trunk into the back seats. Stuff including my son's tricycle, a 24 case of beer, a bucket with Meguires cleaning products, and baby seat. The creases were of varying shapes and lengths. It looked like Dennis Rodman's face.

Anyway, the service manager promised to replace all the covers if they do not self heal.

Is this something any of you have replaced?

These are the aniline soft seats with vibrating and reclining features.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Here in Maryland, dealers charge form $1180 to $1500 for installation of the XM radio. I understand it may take a couple of hours to install the kit. The kit is available from Wholesale Lexus for $480. I can't imagine it would cost more than $200 in labor to install it.

I'm considering getting a quote on the installation and furnishing the kit. $700 seems like more than a fair price for kit with installation. Your thoughts? And is XM radio even worth $700?
    Dish network has all the Serius stations as part of its music library of stations. They also still have all their regular cd stations as well. Serius is great and the genre stations really hit the spot. It's nice that they are part of the dish network package (I'm not sure how I even have it but I believe it's the HD package that gets it)and I turn them on often for music in my house these days.The music sounds as good as cd's on my home audio system. But I wouldn't opt for the $700 install unless you do alot of driving outside city areas. If you own the car and are holding long-term it might be different. But on a 3 year lease it just doesn't seem worth it. In the area I live in there are many excellent FM stations and nothing beats my own CD compilations anyway.
  • milsuperdocmilsuperdoc Member Posts: 29
    I just spoke with the service dept at my dealer today, and they assured me that the replacement transmissions are brand new ones that are shipped directly from Tahara, Japan. They are using brand new ones for replacing those transmissions that are affected by the Special Service Recall. On the other hand, the old transmissions will be remanufactured to be used in the future as replacement parts for power train warranty years from now. I'm not sure if I can believe what they told me completely, but I hope what they are telling me is indeed true.
    I regularly walk past Tradd and E Bay, and also know the owner of one of the houses. Most of that particular house has been divided up into Condos, although one wouldn`t know it from the outside...Anyway where was the car parked?? You are lucky to see the Ferraris . There is one at Sullivans Island, looks like a retired General car, and the other I saw was W. Ashley area with vanity plat that said ``Red Boy`, so I guess you are right things are picking up..Lexus really needs a new location, but I heard it was just moving to the Toyota building next door...Tony
    "Used in the future...."

Like tomorrow maybe.

My bet would be that they get torn down, inspected, wear parts replaced, and then installed in new product coming down the line.

And why would anyone care.

Think of it this way, those rebuilt transmissions would not be as subject to infant failure.
  • jj655jj655 Member Posts: 8
    Transmission Recall is not a joke. Ironically, I was driving my 04 to the dealer for the recall and on the freeway it died on me and lost all power. This caused me to drive off the roadway and I almost crashed into the guard rail. I wish LEXUS would have taken this issue more seriously and had tow trucks sent to all owners.

For other 2004 LS430 owners.. Be careful.. this is a real recall & safety issue. I don't want to see anyone get killed or injured.

Lexus is getting a nasty letter from me. The way I found out about the recall is this forum, rather than a letter in the mail from Lexus.

Good luck to other owners.

Jeff
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    I don't see how the trans recall could cause your car to die--this tranny defect is related to the car not rolling while in park. Did you have gas in the car?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    For some reason, I don't think your car losing power has anything to do with the transmission recall.
    The LS dying and losing power is likely from failure of the fuel pump, the other popular LS recall going on now.
    Believe this one? My dealer says they (the dealership) break open the cases of the removed transmissions and a scrap metal guy hauls them away!
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    feverhart, whom are you referring to by "Wholesale Lexus"? Is this a local dealer where you are or an Internet site that we should all know about? Google told me nothing useful.

TIA.
  • milsuperdocmilsuperdoc Member Posts: 29
    I just got my 2004 LS back from the dealership. I dropped it off last evening at 8 PM, and my LS had both transmission and fuel pump replaced today. They've replaced more than 50 recall transmissions and fuel pumps by the time I got my LS in for service. So far, my LS is driving flawlessly during my brief test drive today.

Like Chicagoed, I was again told by the dealer service manager that they destroy the old transmissions. The transmissions have serial numbers on them, and they are marked to be destroyed. Apparently, they do not want future litigations stemming from the product defect. I had less than 1000 miles on my LS prior to this transmission swap. When I inquired about remanufacturing the old transmissions and using them to replace some of the defective transmissions covered by the standard power train warranty in the future, they clarified that they will be remanufacturing only those 2004 LS old transmissions that are NOT affected by the current SSC (Special Service Campaign). I performed surgeries on the sons of the dealership owner, and I spoke with the owner of the dealership just to confirm. He did reassure me of getting a brand new transmission, not a remanufactured one. He told me that they were allocated brand new transmissions from Japan and he had enough of inventories at hand.

Incidentally, I took a brand new RX330 as a service loaner and spent extensive time with it. RX330 was ok...but it sure wasn't in the same league as my LS430. My family owns 2001 LS430, 2004 GX470 in addition to my 2004 LS. AT least to me, RX330 does not appear to be in the same leagues as the other models...not even close.

JP
  • jj655jj655 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I had gas in teh car.

The car made weird sounds just prior to the power failure on teh hywy. The car somehow restarted and kept on making knocking or jerking sounds...but I was less than 1 mile to the Lexus service facility.

It has been in the shop for 5 days as of this reply.

I have faith in Lexus, but just not happy about the situation.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    ljflx, thanks for your good advise. Although I try to purchase my cars for long term use, sometimes I'm influenced to replace sooner than later; e.g., the '04 LS430 for the "01 LS430. My experience has been that this was a wise decision. I don't do a lot of our-of-state traveling and considering everything else, I've decided to opt out.

rennybosch, Wholesale Lexus Parts address is lexus-parts.com. I've bought cabin filters and the nav update for the "01 LS 430 from them. I believe they are located in Texas
  • mauiman1mauiman1 Member Posts: 2
    I just made a deal on an '05 custom lux without the pre-collision system. msrp 64,904; I received 5% off. Is this good or average? The color is flint mica with ecru interior. The car was shipped on 8/17 and is due in in a couple of weeks.
    I had my XM Radio installed about 8 months ago at the local Albuquerque NM Lexus Dealer for $782. Works fine, they even moved the antenna to the center of the trunk lid the last time I was in for maintenance. Looks much better than mounted on the side of the trunk lid.
    I had my new transmission and fuel pump installed today, in by 7am and out by 2pm. The transmission works great. I believe there is less hesitation in the down shift now, maybe it's just my imiganation? I was informed by a salesman that Lexus management considered repairing the transmissions; but, that it would require opening up the transmission, making the repair and closing it up again. This may have required the customer leave the car for two or three days. Lexus management rejected this option and went for the swap out of the old transmission with a new one. Quality support from Lexus.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    While I would expect nothing less - actually I would expect not to have the problem at all from a Lexus.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    NYBanker:

I would surely be annoyed if I had a bad transmission or anything else on my LS But as dependable and well built as lexus is that is only 1/2 the test of a great company.

The other half is how well they take care of you If something does go wrong..
    I had some cracks appear in the driver's seat bottom cover last year on a 2002 LS430. The dealer attempted to do a "fix it" repair and it did not work, so they replaced the entire seat bottom cover. It looked just like the rest of the seats and was in perfect shape.
    Forgot to mentioned that the dealer filled my empty gas tank at no charge, courtesy of Lexus. Just a token compliment for my time and effort to bring the car in for the transmission and fuel pump switch out.
    Completely understand your point and I have yet to have one problem in 9 years and about 450,000 miles of driving various Lexus cars/suvs. And I can safely say I expect no problems with my current cars or the ones I will lease in 2007. That's confidence in a brand. After experiencing a new A8 a few weeks ago - that had so many electrical problems in a day that I lost count of them - I'd doubt I could get through a month (heck probably a week) problem free in a German car. Probably the only people that can say something similar on great reliabilty matters are Acura buyers but an Acura is not a Lexus (though I loved my Legend of the early 90's) But no one can possibly be perfect all the time and Michael is right - how they handle it must be viewed as part of the process re the quality, concern for customer, courtesy and professionalness of the company . Fact is they can handle it richly because they have so few things go wrong.
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    so i went to the dealer to ask what happened to my navigation disk and the service lady went in the back and talked to the technician. they both came out and offered to order me a new one. they didnt exactly tell me what happened to it, they just said it was a "mishap". im going to go pick it up tomorrow. just to be sure, it should say version 3, 2003? i wasnt really too upset because the day before my key somehow broke in half while i turned the ignition(same thing happened to me replacement key) and she offered to replace it free of charge because of the nav disk inconvinience. is that normally free?
    on a brighter night, this ML55 AMG pulls up next to me today at a stop light. typical arrogant mercedes driver, looks at my ls430 and starts inching forward ready to "blow me away" with his AMG. poor guy must of had the shock of his life when he couldnt even keep up and just gave up at 80. wow, the LS is quick from the line. anyone kno the specs on an Ml55 AMG? the way the guy was acting i expected a sub-6sec 0-60 time. also another annoying thing is when S430 drivers thing they are better than you. 500 i cna understand but 430 cant run with an LS
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Agent:

If I remember correctly Keys go for about $300.