Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I certainly appreciate the warnings on the susceptability of the laser cruise lens to rock breakage. Forwarned is for-armed. Tho I haven't had any problems on my 2 LS's with the laser cruise lens breakage I don't want it to happen.

Vinyl cover has been suggested. It's a good idea and I suspect it would prevent scratches and small stone damage, but not damage from a major impact. Instead, I placed a piece of 1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate), which no stone will break, over the lens, cushioned by velcro that attaches to the periphery of the lens cover and holds the Lexon in place. The Velcro needs to be cut in a thin strip to shape. And with all that the Laser Cruise still works.

Lexus would do well to use Lexan as the lens cover on their next release.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    feverhart:

Great Idea..Any special place you got the Lexan. Lexus should indeed follow you suggestion.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    I have tried many plastics and they have not worked. You are correct when you say that the self adhering vinyl will not protect against a large impact but it is serviceable for small debris and salt etching in snow country.
    Lexan sounds like a great solution. Where did you get it and what size did you cut it? Did you cover each lens separately or use 1 panel to cover the unit? Thank you.
    Actually I had the Lexan sheet here at the house. May have gotten it at Lowes or Home Depot some time ago. Lexan is a trade name for that particular brand but any polycarbonate should do. You can also find a source doing a Google search.

I covered the total area with one piece, first making a template out of cardboard which measures 2X4". The top left hand corner must be clipped to allow for the curvature of the black plastic housing. After putting on the thin strips of velcro (mating pieces adhered to each other), place a larger piece of velcro on outside near corner with a sticky surface out so that you can use it to guide the cover in place. After it is pressed into place this is removed. Good luck.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone kow where the radar for the radar cruise control is located at?
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    How did you make out with the leather cleaner? I read on another post that lexus is putting a tag on cars stating seats to be cleaned with 5% detergent for wool to clean leather seats.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    I've been using Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner (2 separate bottles). It seems to work good...my leather seats are quite nice...they look brand new...and I have the Ecru interior!!!
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    In just a few weeks I noticed the change for the worse between my 05 and 01 LS Nav data, and I have seen the comments of othere here.

Lexus listens. They admit there has been a "a noticible decline in the precision of map data when compared to the 2003 model year". There will be a service campaign to replace the map DVD in 2004-early 2005 Gen 4 Nav system in the LS, ES, and LX, as well as 2005 RX and SC.

Dealer notification was sent out 11/12, and owner notification letters will be mailed in phases, starting in the middle of this month.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Steve - I was trying to go to a store on a street (that I had never heard of) in Neptune the other day and plotted it on the LS nav. So I'm headed down Rt 34 south and the directions take me past Rt 18 which is where I thought I was going to turn onto. Then I realize that it is going to make me turn left immediately after Rt 18 onto Asbury ave. Only problem was that what the nav said was Asbury ave was the entrance into Earle. I didn't think the guard would appreciate me pulling up so I rerouted myself down to Rt 33 east and finally got there. The street was one of these 2 block long streets that changes names a few times and most navs would have had a nightmare with it. But in this confusing set of streets the LS nav worked flawlessly and took me to what would have been a very hard address to find. It turned out the store was in a residential area and was mainly an Internet catalogue business for American Indian goods.

So I go home and scroll through the GX nav and it does not have the same location for Asbury ave. It shows you where Asbury ave really is and makes it very clear that you cannot go through Earle. So something went wrong in this latest gen software. Yet it can work perfectly in areas that are a nightmare to deal with also. Sought of like the old science tests where you blow the easy one and get the difficult one right.
    Right! Mine kept telling me to get off the GSP and get on Rt 35 to get to 287. It also showed some "through streets" that really didn't connect to the far side.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    This is great news stevestein! I am one of those that have had some problems with the Nav. system on my 2004 LS430. It has too may errors in it. Sometimes, it takes me to a spot within a half mile or so from the intended spot. Once in a while it goes comletely wacky and takes me in an opposite direction of the intended final destination once I get fairly close to this destination. Just in my neghborhood alone, several of the street names are wrong.

Where did you get this information that Lexus is now admitting there is a problem & they will fix it? Is it from the Lexus website or somewhere else?
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I upgraded the Nav in my '99 to the 2001 version and it works flawlessly. Sometimes it chooses some odd-ball routes, but it always gets it right. How can a newer gen-4 version on the 04s be so screwed up ? I hope Lexus goes back to the original models as on the 01s and get rid of this bad one, cos it can leave a bad taste in an otherwise excellent vehicle. Not good at all... Plus recall on trannies.... Are these signs of a chink in Lexus' armor ???? Hope not !
    I just talked to my dealer & they indeed verified that Lexus will replace the Gen. 4 System. I may not even have to wait until I get a letter from Lexus. The dealer is ordering parts. Even though it is disappointing that there has been a problem with the Nav. system, at least Lexus is admitting the problem and fixing it.
    To clarify, this is a software/database upgrade only requiring a new DVD disc. No hardware is being replaced and all other parts/functions of the 4th gen system remain.
    You are correct. The dealer just called and told me that they ordered the new DVD disc for me. I am looking forward to the new and improved system.
    Oac:

Just a thought...I updated my Nav in my 01 to the 03 huge difference went from 800,000 points of interest to 5 million...

The 03 was done by the company that did the 01, the change over was flawless.
    Hi Michael:

The Nav in the gen-2 LS ('98 - '00) are HD-based and does not have as much disk space as DVDs in your gen-3 2001 LS. I am not sure I can get a similar level of POI if I upgrade from my v.2001 Nav as you can with a DVD-based Nav. I'll stick to this version and hope for a change with my proposed purchase of the 2007 LS.... Can't wait for this car....

:)
    Cyclone...
    When you get your new disc, would you please let us all know what version number is on it. I recently upgraded my DVD to 4.1...I purchased it through Lexus_Parts.com If there's a fixed version after 4.1, I hope that they'll replace the old one free of charge. I just bought it 1 month ago. I think this will interest a few people on this post. Thanks,
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    Someone on the Club Lexus forum has documentation in the form of a parts order form showing that the replacement DVD for the recall campaign is version 4.2.
    My new 2005 LS was delivered one week ago with version 4.2 and I have not had any problems with the Nav system.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    There has been a post or two suggesting the antenna dish for the radar cruise control is right behind the Lexus "L" logo plastic plate in the front of the radiator. I guess no one has answered your question because none of us is actually sure. That's the best I can do.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Is the new DVD being sent to us or do we have to have Lexus install? Can't we just pop it in ourselves?

What is the main aspect of the upgrade? I haven't used my nav too often but have not had a problem.
    The recalled 2004 LS 430 NAV upgrade is sent to the dealers who will install it, presumably at no charge. If you haven't had a problem with the current 2004 NAV, rest assured you will if you use it enough. The directional software is absolutely inferior to the 2001-2003 units.
  • flatlanderflatlander Member Posts: 25
    I just bought this vehicle at a bargain price ($37K internet price)from a local Toyota dealership. It only has 22,500 miles and has the Nav., heated seats and rear A/C packages. I have only just learned that the previous owner (a Realtor) never let the Lexus dealer near the vehicle again since new and, the car has had just 3 oil changes to date. Do I really need to give Lexus Service dept. a $450 handshake just to do a retro 15,000 mile service? What signs of neglect should I look for if I join a regular mechanic under the car while it is up on the hoist? From the discussion on GPS DVD versions it seems that I maybe better off not upgrading to ver., 4.2. Finally, can I have an XM sat. radio added to the vehicle? If yes, should I use Lexus or the after market? Comments please.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    VERY SMART....

It is a good idea to NEVER let a dealer anywhere near your car for routine maintenance purposes.

Dealers are not fools, for routine jobs they DO NOT use expensive technical expertise, they use the very same McD graduates as the quick oil change shops. And most use recycled oil.

No real harm in that latter, just to let you know what you're paying premium prices for.

I stopped using Lexus service, 1993, after they added my self supplied Mobil 1 to the crankcase without first draining the old oil. My fault, really, changed the gofer's ROUTINE!

Last year my Trac light would came on occassionally. Figured Lexus couldn't, WOULDN'T DARE, screw up a brake fluid flush.

NOT!

Technician, and MASTER service technician, didn't even know about extra bleed valves at ABS pumpmotor and pressure accumulator.

And one more point, the recommended oil change mileage interval for the 2001 Porsche 911/996 is 15,000 miles.
    Flatlander:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...22,500 and it sounds like it is an ULTRA..The top of the line has everything.

I would do what the dealer told me ...I assume it is Certified...that sounds like a fantastic buy to me.
    You and I agree about staying clear of dealerships for regular services. My dilemma is not knowing whether the car's low price is for a good reason, like a mechanical defect. What really throws me is that the first 2 services are free, and she never took Lexus up on the offer.
    Thanks for the attaboy. It isn't an Ultra (no dynamic cruise, back rumble seats or blinds) but is still a deal. Just wondering whether Toyota knew something I don't (yet).
    I didn't take advantage of those free services for my last three Lexus purchases. I'm about to buy an X3 which comes with "free" routine maintenance for the first 50k miles and if I can help it the dealer will NEVER see it again after delivery.
    I did not add to my reply #6550 that this is not a Certified car although it still has some waranty left. It was the only Lexus on this nominally Toyota car lot and they seem to know zip about it other than how nice it is. There was some minor cosmetic damage requiring a trip to their body shop. Just me but I rarely turn down something offered for free unless I know there is a gotcha involved, like a "free" sponsored year of life insurance, etc.

I am digging for advice on what may go wrong after 3 years of city only usage.

[wwest] I see from your profile that you may able to advise on my query of "Can I add an XM satellite radio to the Nav set up" similar to a newer LS.
    If Lexus wouldn't Certify a 2004 with 22,500 miles ..there is something wrong...Keep looking there are deals out there.
    There is a cost to the dealer for certifying a car. With this low mileage and warranty period left why go to the expense unless the customer insists and is willing to pay the extra cost?
    This Toyota dealership rarely sees a Lexus. I assume only a Lexus dealership can Certify a Lexus (my car isn't certified). I have had the car up on a hoist and cannot see any problems. So unless someone tells me of a specific generic problem with the 2002 model I will wait till 30,000 miles before letting it near a Lexus service center.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    A car without service records or with records that clearly show it was not serviced by a Lexus dealer cannot be certified--that car will also be sold at a lower price. I trade often (5 new Lexus since 1998) with my local Lexus dealer and will not let anyone else touch my car--and because of this I believe my dealer gives me back more on trade. I live near Plano Texas, where there is a very strong Lexus dealer, with a good market share.
    Apparently the records do show three oil changes, my guess would be at 7500 miles, 15000 miles, and 22500 miles, EXACTLY as Lexus recommends.

As a said, SMART realtor.
    To embellish on Wwest's excellent post here.

My car turned 90K miles this past summer. With the car needing "washer fluid" and the warning light turned ON on the dash, the dealer performed the 90K mile service WITHOUT even bothering to top off the washer fluid bottle. What ??? I was aghast ! I set it up to see how much notice the dealership takes of the cars they maintain/service. Obviously, the service technician simply ignored the light or did not even see it. Oh, the service cost me $1300, and they could not top up the washer fluid !! I didn't even bother to point it out to the service writer when I picked up my car. It was a simple test which they failed miserably....

Simply unbelievable. And that was the #2 Lexus dealership in the US - Longo Lexus. I won't be going back there for anything. EVER. I am one customer this dealership has lost, as I shop for an LX; there is no chance that I will even bother to look them up for a car or service.
    There really is a difference in the service levels between dealerships. For the last 2 years I had been going to Lexus South Bay in Torrance. The service was OK ... but I always thought they were just going through the motions.
    Out of the clear blue sky I decided to try Lexus Santa Monica...Wow, what a difference. The service technicians listened, gave suggestions on here's what you need, here's what you can wait on etc...
    So anyway, the takeaway is...if you don't like the service at one dealer, just go to another. It's not like McDonald's where they've got a cookie cutter approach to the business. There are differences between dealerships.
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    We have owned or leased five new or used Lexus cars----two ES300,two LS400,and our current beauty, a 2003 LS430 Ultra, since 1992. While I have purchased my cars from Lexington,Ky to Utica ,Mi., I have never been able to get competitive pricing from my local dealer here in Indy, Tom Wood Lexus. I tried different salesmen,different times of the year,etc., but no decent deals.When we are talking a difference of $2500-5000, I can and will look around because there are people out there who are dealing!! That being said, I could not be more pleased with the service I have received from Tom Wood! The facility is first class,the service people are excellent, and the whole Lexus service experience has been outstanding over the entire 12+ years they have been servicing my cars. The prices fair,the service superb, and knowledgeable personel are the reasons I keep coming back. So, I would tell you that some dealerships stress deals and some stress customer service. I just wish that I could get both at one store!!
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I also live in Southern California, and have tried Tustin Lexus as well as Lexus Mission Viejo. I haven't been impressed with either of them. Is there a board where people make recommendations about their service experiences?
    Hi Renny,
    If you're down in the OC area, this might be a bit far away, but Santa Monica Lexus' service was pretty good. Their service advisors are just that...provide service and give good advice. They have Sat. service hours which might help. Give them a try and let us know what you think.
    I live in San Diego and have tried 2 out of the three Lexus dealerships here Carlsbad and Kearny Mesa. I have not been impressed with both, although I'd take Carlsbad over Kearny Mesa. I have also gone to OC - Tustin Lexus and Longo Lexus, also unimpressive dealership services, although Longo could really be great if only they are more focused on the little things. I am really at my wits end on which of these Lexus dealerships to use in future. This is a huge stumbling block for me to overcome as I go about investing my hard earned $$$ in more Lexus cars and trucks. Anyone know to recommend a dealership within 100 miles of San Diego ??? I'd give it a shot... Santa Monica is just too far away for me to drive to.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's not encouraging to hear, for someone lurking around here for future reference, should he be planning someday to defect from Lincoln over to Lexus......
    The good news is that with a Lexus you rarely, if ever, have need of the dealer's aftersale services.

The bad news is that the Ford/Lincohn/Mercury dealers are just as bad if not worse.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yeah, but that's not a lot of comfort - I don't need the Lincoln dealer much either. I was kind of hoping for better when I needed the Lexus dealer.
    From the recent post I gather that it is more important to have the service documented than have it done by Lexus AND, be sure to oversee the work performed. This way you can save a bunch.
    I was advised today by the local Lexus parts dept that the latest DVD Nav upgrade is not compatible with the NAV system on a 2002 LS430. Does this sound correct?
  • frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    I currently have a 2004 ES 330 and am ready to upgrade to a 2005 LS 430. Can't decide whether to go with Euro-tuned suspension or not. Would appreciate any advice or opinons.
  • carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    I have an 2004 w/sport suspension. I feel that you must really drive a little hard and enjoy pushing the sedan to its limits to really enjoy it.If not it just rides a little harder or rough. Not why most buy the LS. I am 55 and enjoy driving it hard with the flow master Mustangs and BMWs. Still looking for a hemi 300.I have 19,000 miles and will probably get the standard suspension in 4-5 years when I get a new one. At 60 ill be ready for something smoother.
  • frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    I hear you, loud & clear! My rough riding days are behind me, I now look forward to smooth sailing. Thanks for your input, your words make a lot of sense.
  • chasfjchasfj Member Posts: 13
    The Nav hardware changed in 2004 and the software is not backwards compatible. So if you are talking about DVD Nav version 4.2 that is part of the current LS430 Service Campaign for '04s and early production '05's, they are correct, it won't work in a pre-2004.
    Found this on CL.... I think it's a must-read for Lexus owners

http://www.automobear.com/LexusInTheLapOfLatentLuxury.html
    My experience is 10's in every categoy -
    New Lexus loaners, free food and beverages, they'll drive you anywhere ithe area if you don't want a loaner, TV room, virtual golf, carwashes whenever you want, just drive in, etc, etc. When my CD player stopped woking they replaced the entire unit under warranty - when it turned out I had jammed it (using a copied disk with a paste-on label that was too thick) they mailed me the CD back - no charge.
    My dealer is Ray Catena in NJ, so no help for the CA crowd, but they and many others like Rallye in NY always seem to get kudos.