Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    Regarding the Nav DVD on a 2002 ... your dealer IS NOT correct. I have a 2002 and just purchased the v. 4.1 2004 update through Lexus_parts.com. It works like a charm.
    Separately, I am working with Lexus_parts.com to determine how to get the v.4.2 update. I guess there were a lot of errors in the v.4.1 database so Lexus will replace it for free. So now I'm trying to figure out how to do that since I purchased v.4.1 on line and installed it myself. Stay tuned.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    OK...I think I've got this figured out now. If you purchased version 4.1 to upgrade from an older version of the DVD ... no action required; there were no reported problems with the disc.
    If you have an LS 430 with DVD version 4.2, then you'll need to get a free update from your Lexus dealer.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    What do you all think is the absolute BEST exterior color for the 2005 LS and WHY?

(white, black, black cherry (purple), briarwood (pearlized bronze), silver, Cypress pearl (light green).

I know it is subjective, but I'm about to buy one and I'd love to hear all of your thoughts.

Thanks!
  • chasfjchasfj Member Posts: 13
    Maybe I misunderstood flatlander's post, but he stated that Lexus parts told him that the latest upgrade was incompatible with his '02. I surmised he was referring to the recent thread beginning with post 6531, regarding the version 4.2 disk that is being provided free as part of a Special Service Campaign for certain '04 -'05 models. If that was the question, then the parts guy is correct. The DVD's for Gen 4 hardware, including the recall DVD, will not work on Gen 3 ('01 -'03) systems. Different feature and user interface software. I think a couple of people on this forum tried it and confirmed you get a message indicating you have the wrong version. You can however, purchase a $288 2004 update for Gen 3 units that brings the map data up to Version 4.1. Two different things completely.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Black Cherry (same) provided you can get the matching ivory interior. The ecru (old blu-haired lady WHITE) just simply doesn't cut it for me.

It looks extra special debadged and with gold center BBS-RS 3-pc wheels.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Glad to hear of your bargain purchase. I believe the manual used to give two intervals for oil change, 5000 and/or 7000 miles. At the 7000 mile interval, 21,000 miles would have been the normal oil change time. Sounds like yours is not too far off. I'm old fashioned, I still have my oil changed every 5000 miles by the dealer. I decided when I bought the car that I would take it to the dealer for service and pay the price. I agree that the price is a bit high, but they do things like tire rotation, new windshield wiper blades, etc. that would not get checked at the local quick lube. They have even replaced a $273 tire that had a nail in the sidewall. That was not a dealer item but Lexus decided to replace it at no cost to me. They also fix flats free. I do agree however, that a good private mechanic would also do fine with a little guidance on what you expected him to do. I don't want to do anything that would void or affect the factory warranty. They sell Lexus extended warranty at the dealer up to 36 months or 36,000 miles (you would have to check the exact time and miles)whichever comes first. I've often thought that the extended warranty might be a good idea for a "keeper". As for XM radio, Lexus charges $760 (approx) for the Toyota XM receiver that installs in the trunk of the LS430 and is operated through the NAV system. I believe that 2004 was the first year that the XM would go through the NAV system for control. If your car does not have a NAV system, I would recommend the after market system for about $200. The tuner/receiver has to be mounted near the front and you have to install an antenna and put a "Y" in the antenna to the FM. Also, the kit comes with an additional small control panel for channel selection. The sound would probably be the same whether you buy the Lexus XM or the After Market. However if you don't have the NAV, I don't think the Lexus Receiver is Compatible with the car. I choose not to do it on my 2002 because I didn't want to do the after market kit. However, I do enjoy the XM on the 2005 and don't play the CDs much anymore.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    You mention that Cypress Pearl (Light Green). I urge to take another look at the paint color swatches. Another official name for the Cypress Pearl is "Olive Mica". It is a very dark green that appears to change a lot depending on the light conditions. They dropped the light green color for the new 2005 Cypress Pearl. I believe the previous green was "seafoam green". Anyway, I like the color now that I have it home and it has had a little time to grow on me. I got the Ecru interior and like the combination.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I have to say I recently bought a Black/Champagne which is nice but conservative. But I saw an RX in Flint Mica (kind of a charcoal silver gray)which looked really great-- better to my eye than the Mercury Metallic (silver). I haven't seen it on an LS, but I assume it would look good on it as well.

But in the end, color is a very personal choice. Nevertheless, some colors affect resale values. Try going to the used car appraisal section of this site and appraise a 2004 LS with different colors and see what happens to the price. It's a very interesting exercise.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone heard of a Lexus dealer (or other) offering an aftermarket remote start system for a '04/05 LS430 with Smartaccess? My dealer will do it on cars without Smartaccess. I suspect they just haven't figured it out yet but someone else may have.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    So I was bored in my LS waiting for my kid, I started to play with the NAV.

I entered San Francisco and got 2976 miles with 177 miles of toll roads even as I selected no toll. The NAV estimated 50 hours and 14 minutes. Are they kidding? That's 60 MPH ! That's crazy!
    Various road speeds via one of the nav screens.
  • flkeyflkey Member Posts: 11
    Cocoon
    '03 LS, blk cherry/ecru
    Many compliments, somewhat rare in S.W. FL.
    Wish Lexus would offer more colors, especially non-metallic ones.
    Even I would consider a two-tone if well done, not color bands like early LS. More like the Maybach by
    M-B, have you seen one?
    Even Ford and Dodge trucks have some pleasant new
    tones.
    jmho+2cents, what do you think?
    Wouldn't it be great if car dealer websites had REAL pictures of their cars on their websites instead of those computer-generated ones.

I often have to resort to ebay to get a more realistic look at the colors.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    jbianco12,

I apologize for not responding to your post a while back. I was away on vacation until yesterday. The dealer informed me yesterday that the new Navigation System upgrade (Version 4.2) was in. They picked up my car at work this morning, installed the 4.2 and brought it back by 1:00PM. In testing it this afternoon, the new version seems to be working perfectly. I noticed that streets in my neighborhood that version 4.1 had wrong are now corrected and it actually takes me home by telling me to turn at the correct streets rather than a couple of ficticious streets in the previous version.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Paul - The nav defaults to a toll when it has no other choice - like crossing the Hudson. As well if you ask for shortest distance and no tolls it defaults to the former (or at least it did in 2001, I haven't checked the 2004). Otherwise it might have to take you a few hundred miles out of the way to save that toll. So it has to be wrong on one or the other - the old catch 22. As well the default speed on the nav is 60mph on the highway and 30 or 35mph on city streets - but you have the option to reset these to anything you want. In California I have missed planes in LA and SF with 2+ hour lead times to drive 30 miles - so 60mph might be a blessing rather than a liability.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    In California I have missed planes in LA and SF with 2+ hour lead times to drive 30 miles - so 60mph might be a blessing rather than a liability.

Frustrating, isn't it ? Seemed like here in So Cal, you are either driving very fast (over speed limit) or very slow (way under speed limit) due to the traffic here. I live 8 miles from my office, no freeways in-between, yet it takes me 30 minutes, on good days..... Prior to this, I used to live about 28 miles away, two freeways in-between, and 1.5 hrs later I am home or in my office :(

Now it's only 8 miles.... :)
    Time to get a Harley !
    One of these days, I have got to drive to California and along the way, enjoy Route 66.
    A brand new 2005 LS430 is sitting in my driveway.
    Crystal White Exterior/Cashmere Interior with the Modern Luxury Package and Smart Access.

I was not expecting to lease the vehicle so soon BUT.. I just happened to inquire to a dealer who needed an extra sale for November and they gave me, quite simply, an offer I could not refuse.

They DROVE the vehicle to my house (an hour's drive) did the presentation in my driveway and the paper work in my dining room table.

I leased for 36 months/12K miles per year $697 per month (plus tax) with $1650 total due at signing (including first payment). I'll list the full details (cap cost/residual/money factor/etc) in the "LS prices paid" forum soon in case anyone is interested.

I am in awe of the level of service and the ease of the transaction. I am also in awe of this vehicle. Smooth. powerful, elegant... my goodness is this a special car.

Looking forward to three years of carefree driving in PURE luxury!!!

And please allow me to give a quick thanks to all of the posters in this forum. You have all been very helpful in presenting "real world" experiences that helped me decide on a vehicle. I 've been lurking around for years with just an occasional post on this forum.

Now I can actually post as an actual owner.. :)
    Yeah... Except that my miraculous survival of a head-on collision with a car on my 75cc Yamaha while a sophomore in College (some 20-odd years ago), has certainly left a mark on me - never to ever venture onto a motorbike. My neighbor just purchased a Ducati as his new toy, and he's wanting me to give it a spin to get the jitters out. The butterflies in my stomach are fluttering just thinking about getting on a bike....

So, I guess no motorbike purchase or ride lies in my future.
    Best of luck. You've been tracking this car and the LX for awhile now and when you do that bnuying or leasing becomes inevitable.

It's a phenomenal car as you are already realizing. The bad news is that it's going to be very hard to accept anything else in the future - regardless of price - because it is that phenomenal. In my opinion it remains the best lux car in the world under $100k and maybe over $100K as well. But I haven't driven the latter so I can't say for sure. That is a great deal that you got as well. Can't come close to that around here. Residuals are holding up very strong on the LS which is great for the leasing crowd.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Wow that is a good deal! What part of the country is this?
    It's a South Florida dealer. I'm not sure if I can name dealers on here so I'll leave it at that.

I could not believe the deal was real until I was sitting at my dining room table signing the contracts. These fellas must've really needed an extra sale for November.

I guess it comes down to luck... finding the right car at the right time at the right dealership.

When the sales rep offered to deliver the vehicle to my doorstep (an hour away) I almost fell out of my chair!
    That's Lexus service for you. Is this your first Lexus?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can name the dealership if you wish, but you may not name sales people nor give any contact info.

Congrats on what sounds like a great deal and a great car - hope you'll hang around and share your ownership experiences.

For everyone - the Rules of the Road linked at the top of the page provide a clear and easy to read set of guidelines.

And you can always email your host if have other questions!

:)
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Was called yesterday and told that the upgraded nav. disc had arrived and that I could stop by for a 10-15 minute swap. After one and one half hours I finally got the car back and not even washed. Not consistent with Lexus service that I've read about on this board. Lexus of Massapequa is listed as an elite dealer but my experience with them both on the buying and service side has been disappointing I love the car so that's the most important thing. But from reading here it's clear that the total luxury experience is not consistent and is dependent on the dealer you use. I am thinking of driving a bit out of my way to use another Lexus dealer who I suppose would be happy to service the car.
    My wife has an '02 RX300. Her's has been trouble free for 25 thousand miles. There are two other Lexus cars in the immediate family -- LS430 Ultra, LX470.

This is the first Lexus I buy as my own personal vehicle and daily driver. I don't think I'll regret it!

I've been playing around with the interior... every button, every switch, has such a high quality feel to it. For example, pull down on the hand holds and release... they SLOWLY glide back into position. Need to open the coin holder? Push the little button and it gently pulls open.

I'm like a giddy little kid on Christmas morning. This is wonderfully ridiculous!!!
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Have you found the small sunshade over the rearview mirror yet, or seen how the coathooks retract? I assume you were shown the storage compartments under the front seats.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I have had my car for a long time and I didn't know about the small Sun Screen above the Rear View Mirror...THANKS

It truly is an awesome car to own.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Congratulations. Your excellent price reconfirms exactly what I posted on the Prices Paid/Buying Experience forum after buying my LS at the end of the previous month: the easiest way to get a really good deal is to find a dealer who needs the sale, and buy (or lease) an in-stock car on the last day of the month.

Here I am one month later and I am still figuring out things about the car (and the manual is still on my nightstand for late night browsing). For instance, I discovered that you can re-program the Smart Key to open all doors (instead of just the driver's door) when you touch the driver's door. I had been led to believe that this was something that had to be done by the dealer, but that is not the case. See p. 30 of the manual.
    There's also the voice activation button on the steering wheel for the nav and the cushions between the front seats and center console to catch anything that falls in between them. I didn't discover the under the seat compartment for the first year I owned the car so Steve gave you a good one there.

Michael - with your expert knowledge on this car that one surprised me. It is a great asset for near sunset driving particularly as you ascend and descend bridges.

Gteach - the heated/cooled seats need someone sitting in them to work. Put a great CD in that ML and accelerate to 70-80 and you'll feel like the king of the world. Just make sure there aren't any troopers around.

One thing to look out for though is that the headlights don't shut off if you leave a door open. So double check those in your garage. Someone posted that a long time ago here and I noticed it one day when I was taking a package out of the rear seat and failed to close the door. Came out two hours later to walk the dog and the garage was well lit from my headlights. Perhaps they fixed this small blemish on the 2005. But the door closers will always shut a door that is left ever so slightly open if you have them. But they may only be on customs and ultras.

By the way what is your all in lease with sales tax?
    Len -
    Still the same on the 2005. I find the trunk lid to be the culprit more than the doors. My wife has run the battery down on the SC twice in 6 mos because of the trunk lid. It doesn't have a power pull down (probably to avoid damaging the roof if it's retracted and something is on top of it) and if it's the least bit up the light stays on. If it fails to catch fully or, given the miniscule lift you get when you use the remote, if you accidently hit the trunk button it can be impossible to see. With the two identical Lexus keys (when I still had the 2001 LS) it was easy to use the wrong key. I am now in the habit of pulling up on the trunk to make sure it's closed everytime it's opened. I don't know why the light switch can't turn off when the trunk (or doors)is within a half-inch or so of fully closed or there can't be a time out function after 15 minutes or so.
    I'm at $738 and change with tax included. I'll post all the lease details in "prices paid" as soon as I get a chance to sit at my home computer with the lease contract in front of me.

I found the seat compartments... great place for knick knacks.... I have not found the rear view mirror sunshade you guys are talking about. The rear WINDOW has a power sunshade but not the rearview MIRROR.. correct?

I'll be poking through the manual for weeks to come! By the time I figure it all out I'll have to turn this baby in!

Oh, and, I WILL be getting a speeding ticket in this car.. I can smell that already. :)
    It's a small round padded shade above the rearview mirror that you rotate down and it covers the space above the mirror and the top of the windshield.
  • KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Currently own a 2003 GS Sport Edition. New GS due in March as an 06 model and it looks good but was wondering if anybody knows when the LS will be redesigned or at least freshened.
    Per Consumer reports - 2006. But I think it is actually going to be March or April 2007 as a 2007 model. Complete redesign with a look like the LFS but stretched is supposed to be what we will see. There will supposedly be hybrid options and a 2007 super hybrid version with 600HP and there may be longer wheelbase options as well. They've also said the 600 HP hybrid will get the next gen battery and it will get 50 miles per gallon (I assume this is city driving and highway should be lower). I would assume a lower power V8 will do as good or better in mpg. Expect a decent, if not long waiting list for this thing in hybrid form.
  • ljslaw1ljslaw1 Member Posts: 8
    Took delivery of my 2005 LS430 on Wednesday. This is my 3rd Lexus (my wife drives a 2003 RX300). All I can say is what a car! I had been looking at the Mercedes E, the Audi A6 and the Acura RL. Decided to stop in to Lexus at the end of the month just to see what the numbers were for the LS. Asked my sales rep. to "humor me" with the numbers for a lease. Boy am I glad I did. Leased a black on black with Modern Luxury Package, 18 inch wheels and Smart Access.

36 mos. 12k miles per yr
    $735 per month (includes tax)
    $4000 at inception (includes 1st month, bank fee, security, registration and tags and cap. cost of $1500)

My office is only 6 miles from my house but I've already managed to put almost 200 miles on the odometer just driving around. The ride home from work last night took an hour....Can't wait to play around with all the toys this weekend.
    This car presents me with a new adventure every time I get into it. I'm sure it'll be the same for you!! Have fun!!

Okay... I have a couple of questions that the manual hasn't helped me out on...

1. Is there a way to set up Smart Access to lock the doors automatically upon leaving the vehicle without pressing the black button on the door handle? (The epitome of laziness, I know, but I'd like to set it up that way if possible.).

and

2. Twice now I've had a hard time turning the starter knob to start the car. It seems to get locked and I have to jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and try a few times to start the car. Normal?

Oh, and I found the rearview mirror sunshade.. Oh boy!!

Thanks!!

Also... I've posted all of my lease details in the "LS prices paid board" in case anybody cares.
    1. No - at least none that I know of. I tend to still use the key to lock at night so that the lights go out immediately.

2. Happened a few times to me at the beginning but hasn't happened in a long time now. It's a function of how you parked.
    It continues to be almost impossible to find out what Lexus is doing with the redesigned LS and the time table for its release. However, maybe the link below highlighting the recent trademark filings of new engines for several auto manufacturers including LEXUS tells us something.

http://www.auto-report.net/index.html?tm200402.html

Check out the engine specs including the hybrid versions.... I am tempted to say that the LS may simply run on the 450h motor, maybe in the same mold as the RX400h.

I sure hope you are right, Len, with the timetable and highlights of the next LS.
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    Re: starter knob sticking.
    Remember to push the key inward before turning.
  • paulrlpaulrl Member Posts: 11
    As the end of Nov30 I paid only $52988 for 2005LS430 with must have option sticker price $59144 Anybody like to buy one call Park Place Lexus in Grapevine Tx Tel.817 4163100
    The light switches for the doors and trunk have a long travel past the off point. I'm going to get some of the small 1/4-1/2" rubber stick on bumpers and put them on top of the switches to see if I can get them to turn out the lights even if the door or trunk are ajar. This will almost certainly defeat any door or trunk ajar warning. I don't know how I feel about doing that with the doors, but at least on the SC trunk something I'm willing to trade-off. It's impossible to see if that is closed or open. I'll let you know in a few days what happens. (unless wwest has tried this already).
    Learned to live with it, I always (well, most of the time) make sure the doors are fully closed, and keep a battery charger nearby.
    Did I read somewhere you are buying an X3? Friends of ours just leased one and are sorry they did. Bumpy and noisy ride is the reason. They are basically Lexus people who wanted to try something else for a change. Just a heads-up.
    Taking factory delivery, 4 week tour of Europe. If I decide I don't like it during those four weeks when it gets to the US I will either convert it to air suspenion or sell it.

Figure it will be, altogether, cheaper that renting a car that may not be my choice.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Did you get Modern Luxury and Smart Key?
  • paulrlpaulrl Member Posts: 11
    the packages;1 Premium Package
    2 Smart Key 3 18-inch all-season tires
  • ljslaw1ljslaw1 Member Posts: 8
    Encountered my first annoyance today,and I'm not sure where to channel my frustration - Lexus or Verizon Wireless. My '05 LS has the navigation and voice recognition as part of the Modern Luxury Package. So I went to the local cellular store where Lexus sent me to upgrade to a bluetooth phone that I could integrate with the car. Well, Verizon has only 1 bluetooth capable phone -the v710. Nice phone but.....not fully functional with the Lexus. I cannot transfer the phonebook to the car, I do not get a ring tone when a call comes in (although the audio cuts out and the nav screen shows that there is an incoming call), and, most importantly, I can not initiate a call through the voice recognition command. As such, I can only initiate a call from a number stored in my phone book by flipping the phone open and accessing the phone # and hit send on the phone. Annoying to say the least considering the car has voice recognition. To compound my frustration, I am told that other cell service providers, i.e., Cingular AT&T, have fully functioning/compatible phones that will fully integrate via bluetooth into the LS. The Verizon dealer told me I should call Lexus and [non-permissible content removed] about it (he says many customers are unhappy). Does anyone know of this issue? Does anyone know if Lexus and Verizon are working on a fix? The simple solution is to drop Verizon and switch to Cingular, but I have been with Verizon for so long now I would rather not switch. I have heard that there are service/accessibility issues with Cingular. Any suggestions????
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    What is the advantages/disadvantages of 18" wheels vs 17" on the LS430?