Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    But, of course, that memory feature is available on most vehicles with a memory profile, and has been for about 15 years. Not much new there.
  • chasfjchasfj Member Posts: 13
    You're right, memory profiles have been around for a long time. But I thought it was neat that when Lexus introduced Smart Key they thought to integrate it with the Memory profiles. Just another small thoughtful touch.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    All I know is when I approach my bimmer, I press the key-all the doors open and my seat and mirrors adjust. When I leave the car, I press the key-all the doors lock. Why Lexus didn't think of programming the smart key to lock the doors when leaving the vehicle is beyond me. It is such an obvious thing.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Yes, DLP is a form of LCD projection based on a proprietary technology developed by TI and used by Samsung. Sony uses a different technology, but both would be considered LCD projection sets. In contrast, Sharp's Aquos system, for example, is a flat panel LCD screen.

BTW, no one should be buying the old CRT (tube) projection sets these days. They are totally outdated: big, deep, heavy; with a relatively washed out, dark, highly directional picture.
    But CR states that these big bulky sets provide the best picture. I love football. Should I wait a while longer until LCD is perfected for fast images?

Can't wait to get my LS in August.
    Don't confuse the regular, traditional non-projection CRT sets like the 34" (widescreen) or 40" (square) Sony XBRs which are good but relatively heavy and not very large screen size, with the CRT projection sets that are big and not good. The latter is what I was saying to stay away from. The only good projection sets are the LCD projection ones.
    Okay-so you approve of a set like the Sony KV-34HS420 34"?

Thanks.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You are right - CR does state CRT's provide the best pix in projections sets but only in a perfect direct line of sight. The DLP's and LCD projection sets are better at different eye levels and different lines of sights and in pure HD. But in direct line of sight the ordinary projection sets provide a better picture in standard def TV. Direct tube is still the best pix of all particularly in 1080I and standard TV (excluding non-sport LCD's). As stated earlier the LCD's are really set up for 1080P and even higher broadcast frequencies and supposedly up-convert 1080I and 720P frequencies. But up-conversion is a poor imititation of the real thing which is a few years away.

sv7887 - good luck with the car. Looks great in the dark navy. Keyless is great - it will spoil you over time. Is it needed - not really - but it is just an extra luxury item that is greatly appreciated when your hands are full.

Gary - re 6776 - deadly accurate post. It's where the smart money goes.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    This forum has been a wealth of information, yet the "search" feature did not help me out with my question.

I am going to purchase an LS430 in the next week or two, and many of them have the perforated leather seats.

I'm wondering how one cleans & conditions leather seats with holes in them. I like to use the Lexol about once a year and I have visions of that stuff clogging up the holes and then getting on my clothing later.

Any experience you can share?
    Oy, I'm trying to heed Pat's suggestion to not get off topic, but I can't let any misunderstandings stand.

IMHO, the direct view [Len, not projection] CRT tubes may have the best picture, but the problem is that if you buy the 34" widescreen version like the KV-34HS420, if you watch a regular non-widescreen program, it is a VERY small picture. That's why I liked the 40" CRT 4:3 Sony XBR, but apparently they are not selling it anymore.

So it depends on the size of your room, and what you watch. If the room is good-sized, and you watch regular TV programs- not just widescreen movies- then I suggest you move up a step in price to a 42-50" LCD projection set such as the Sony KDF-42WE655 [see Len's #6745 about an alternate line] or a Samsung DLP model. The picture is definitely not quite as good, but IMHO the size more than makes up for it.

But Len, I was never suggesting anyone buy a CRT PROJECTION set. As you say, the LCD PROJECTION sets are much brighter with a much wider viewing area. And certainly the flat panel LCDs are the best, but at a big price premium for a large screen model.
    Okay. Thanks garyh1.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Come on folks, you may want to continue your TV conversations by email, but that's enough here - we're about cars as I know all of you know. :)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    We should change the discussion to what type of nav display screen we would like best to see in future LS430s.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    This works for me. Owning both an '01 Acura MDX with Navi, and my '04 LS430 with Navi I am familiar with what the two most popular systems are as OE delivered.

After upgrading both CD's this year, I am still very pleased with the Acura system over the Lexus version. I particularly like the ability to use the joy stick versus touching the screen to manuver around the map. Plus I find being able to input destinations while moving a real value vs. the pain there is with having to be stopped. Many times my family and I decide to head somewhere different while on the road and having to be stopped is a real PITA.

My family all agree that if we need the Navi that we prefer to use the Acura's version.

As far as a screen type, I'd like it a bit larger for sure.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Does anyone know of a source of info on the relative quietness levels of current autos? I am in the market to replace my 97 BMW 528, which in addition to being a great car is also the quietest I have ever owned. I know that the LS430 is among the quietest, but wondered if there is a list somewhere (in dB or whatever) of interior noise levels? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • kworth1kworth1 Member Posts: 1
    Currently have 4 Blizzacks on my 2002 LS430. I live in a rural part of CT. and commute 75 miles a day. I have had absolutely no problems in getting through some very difficult snow storms.

This is my 3rd Lexus 400 (91,98,02. Agree with poster regarding dealer servicing. Only minimal warranty work done by dealer.... my local mechanic provides all required servicing.
  • threxxthrexx Member Posts: 42
    I wouldn't worry about getting conditioner stuck in the perforations. Perforated seats are easier to condition because of the perforations, actually, because they offer a way for the condition to migrate laterally into the hide instead of just sitting on top of the dye.

Just make sure you condition in conditions that will stay 65 degrees or above, and preferably condition at a time when you know you won't be driving for a while. Most standard conditioners, as long as you use them in a very thin layer (less is more with most conditioners save for some professional type products which aren't sold in stores anyway), will be 99% dry within just a few hours, or certainly if sitting overnight.

With the exception of some real junk that has no right to be on leather in the first place (armor all, etc)... leather conditioner will usually not harm or permanently stain your clothes.

Just to add one more tidbit of info... whatever leather conditioners you decide to try, make sure you are buying cleaners and conditioners seperately. All in one products are usually not nearly as effective (just like with shampoos)
    I wish somebody would create an accurate database of this as well as other not so commonly discussed stats that are very vital to the way a car drives, such as rebound/harshness over bumps, chassis rigidity, etc.

All of these are usually mentioned in articles on a subjective level, but when you're reading reviews by 100 different reviewers who all have various moods and perceptions from day to day on random years of random cars... subjectivity is almost useless. This information can be objectified (Motor Trend has started to mention ride characteristics and noise characteristics in their reviews in number/graph format)

What's more important is that these reviewers ensure that they are making these measurements over the same road. Heck... even things like temperature can affect ride quality and noise levels noticably (cold tires and road surface are usually a bit stiffer and louder).

Chassis rigidity is a bit harder to determine unless you're a chassis engineer at the manufacturer's research facility, and those guys are not going to be supplying any numbers like that to magazines unless they're very proud of them (even then, how would you validace them?)
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    Thank you, threxx. I only use Lexol, and their conditioner and cleaner are in separate bottles.

I went ahead and bought the car, perforated leather and all, on Monday. I expect the LS430 will hold up as well as our dear Toyota Avalon with 92k mi on it. :-)
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Your post #6745

ljflx, "Lexus LS" #6745, 22 Dec 2004 11:00 am

was extremely helpful to me this past holiday weekend. Just what I needed for a planned road trip to Las Vegas. After reading your post, I did a quick research on this unit. All were SOLD OUT at all Wal-Mart locations in the city I live here, and only could order on-line. Delivery would not make it on time to departure date to LV.

With eight of us - two dads, two mums, one grandmum, and 2 kids ages 7, 10 & 12 - on a 309-mile road trip to Las Vegas in our Sequoia, imagine how exasperated the parents were from the constant moaning of the kids *boredom*. On our outbound trip back home, there was no way we could do that trip without some sort of an in-car unit. We quickly sought out a Wal-Mart in LV. Found one on E Tropicana Ave that had 2 units available. Bought both on the spot. Cost was $298 ea. This was the 6.2" dual monitor Durabrand DVD unit. Great unit, btw. Comes with the car adaptor, a rechargeable battery, and in-home adaptor, plus a remote. Outstanding deal !!! Bought several movies - I-Robot, The Elf movie, Men of Honor, and Princess Diaries 2 for the ride, driving back home was the smoothest trip ever ! Not a beep from the kids in the rear seats. Even the mums enjoyed the ride as much as the kids did. The DVD unit fitted perfectly b/w the front console/arm rest area of our Sequoia, while the second monitor was tied to the center headrest of the second-row seat. Outstanding unit, and at a very affordable price too ....

Me and my kids send our heartiest thanks to you.

Pat: Although this had nothing to do with the LS, but it is to show that even when we digress from talking about cars, there is so much helpful information that can be obtained from such otherwise off-topic posts. Let's keep the information flow on this forum wether on- or off-topic; all are useful/can be very useful to others.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays, and best wishes in the new year !
    Happy New Year OAC.

Your unit probably has a battery as well thus the $20 higher price over what I paid. There was a Walmart by me that had about 100 of them in stock on a shelf near the door. A week later there was only a handful - so they are obviously a big hit. Even if this unit fails at some point you'd have to burn through 6 or 7 of them before you hit the price-point of the ones they install in the headrests. Plus the player is portable, can be moved from car to car (though I'd buy a second one at these prices) and can also be used as a plug-in to the TV in the hotel or condo you rent. It also provides a great picture on the dual monitors. The ability to plug in other devices to one or both of the monitors makes it all the more versatile. Someone said this makes us think of a Lexus as an isolation and home theatre chamber - but in reality it provides entertainment to others so that you can enjoy and concentrate on the driving even more - regardless of what car/suv you are driving.
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    The most highly regarded leather conditioner for softening and preserving leather is from Leatherique -- Rejuvenator Oil. A PITA to use but well worth it if done once a year in warmer weather. It is perfect for perforated seats because the conditioner needs to migrate to the leather itself.

Something on the level of the Lexol two which, IMHO work as well or better are the cleaner/conditioner pair from Sonus.
  • gumaguma Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who can let me know how or where to get an update disc for my 2000 LS400 Lexus navigation system. The dealer is completely ignorant in this matter. The only thing I was able to ascertain was that the 2000 model had a cd type disc in the system while later models have been changed to a DVD system.

If a disc is available, it should not be too difficult to replace it in the car.

By the way, does anyone know where the navigation unit is located?

Thank you for any help.

George
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    You can order it from Lexus-parts.com, and for how to install it check out post # 4769 (type 4769 into the box at the top and click Go). That post is for the LS430, but the LS400 may be very similar.

And Happy New Year to everyone!
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    (MY INITIAL MSG TO MOTOROLA REGARDS V710)

I purchased the V710 through Verizon of Albuquerque NM the first day it was available for use with my Lexus LS430 Bluetooth capable navigation/audio system. The telephone has worked fine from the very first day: however, I can't find any instructions on how to download the "phone book" from the V710 to the LS430 bluetooth telephone system. I have heard that Motorola was working on a software update to provide phone book download capability. Please advise if you are aware of how to download telephone book from V710 to the LS430 Nav/Audio system.

(MOTOROLA'S RESPONSE)

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support, we appreciate your request.

Thank you very much for your considerations and interest in our products.

Regarding your concern, we regret to let you know that you will not be able to synchronize information from your V710 with your car via Bluetooth. Although the V710 is a Bluetooth enabled phone, Bluetooth is simply the connection that allows two devices to “connect”. Profiles are the software built into devices to enable communication between compatible devices. This is important because if two devices do not have the same profiles, communication will not be possible. The V710 has the Handsfree, Headset and DUN (Dial Up Internet Connection) but it does not have the OBEX profile that allows you to exchange information via Bluetooth.

This means that, due to the lack of the OBEX profile, the V710 phone can only support Bluetooth capability for pairing-up with the handsfree or head device and for using the phone as a modem. It cannot be used for data synchronization like phonebook and calendar, not for media transfer, like pictures and ringtones.

However, we are happy to inform you that later next year, a solution should be available, that should allow you to transfer information from your V710 via Bluetooth.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope that you find this information useful and we remain at your entire disposal for future questions you may wish to ask.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please contact our Cellular Information Center at 1-800-331-6456. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM CST.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Thanks for posting that information. I'm glad they're working on a solution.

Have you found a way to get a ring tone when you have an incoming call? To me that is the worst failing: I can use the phone to make calls and to receive calls IF I happen to notice on the nav screen that there is an incoming call. There is no audible ring tone, neither from the phone nor from the car. If I have the radio on, then I can tell if there is an incoming call because it mutes the radio (or other sound source). But if I am driving with no sound source on, then I usually miss incoming calls. So if anyone has found a work-arouond for this, would you please post it?

Thanks -- Renny
    For those who are interested in the Treo 650 smartphone, palmOne has posted a software update to enable Bluetooth functionality with certain car kits. Unfortunately, they don't specifically mention if it will work with the Lexus system (Fujitsu Ten). If anyone has this phone and can try the update, please post whether it works.

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo650carkitupdate/i- ndex.html

Sprint now is the only service provider to offer this phone directly, but I have read on other boards that Verizon may offer it as soon as February., or as late as this summer.
    Has everyone with a NAV DVD system version 4.1 (late '04 - early '05) received notice of the free replacement to version 4.2 except me? Did you get notice from the dealer, or was it directly from Lexus? I mentioned the replacement to a couple salespeople at my dealer and they had never heard anything about it.

For those who have gotten the replacement, is it actually an improvement or a step backwards? I seem to recall seeing a post from someone who thought that there may actually be fewer Points of Interest in the database.

Should I be calling the parts dept. at my dealer and pushing for this?
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    The upgrade notice came from Lexus at the same time that my service manager called to set up an appointment. The installation was about 30 minutes accompanied with a loaner and a fill-up of my gas tank.

In the midwest, the database is more up-to-date and with greater details of area features like golf course layouts and hospital campuses. This is another seamless improvement.
    Like you indicate, I leave the audio turned up all the time to XM, CD, Radio, etc. Looking forward to a completely compatible phone.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I got my notice about two weeks ago from Lexus HQ in California; when you contact your local dealer; they will order the DVD for you (takes 2-3 days); and then schedule an appt. to do the free install. The offer to update is good until 12/31/2005.

I am having mine updated this Friday; I hope it's a big improvement, because my 2001 NAV was much more reliable than the 2004 system.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    sorry for the late reply...i've been away.

Yes, the cleaner works fine with the heated/cooled seats. I haven't had any problems and have been using the conditioner since 2002.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Car and Driver has decibel measurements for every car they review.

At idle, the best is 32dBA by the Honda Accord Hybrid. Our beloved LS430 is at 36dBA. The new Acura RL is 39dBA. All the other ultra luxury German sedans are at 40 or higher.

At 70MPH, the best for cars tested in 2004 were the BMW 645Ci, Chrysler 300C, and Kia Amanti, all at 63 dBA. The worst was at 84dBA by Ford GT.

Paul
    Paul - Happy New Year.

What is your overall assessment of the LS given you came out of the S and other lux cars.

By the way - I think the heavier glass on the BMW is the main source of its quietness. I have read in the past that the 12cyl 7's (past gen, not sure about current one) are the quietest cars on the road.
    Leonard, same to you. How was shopping at the Short Hills Mall? I heard the parking lot had 2 hour lines.....

In the 3 years I had the fortune to spent with the 2001 S500 with the Active suspension and ABC, the ride was always quiet, not as quiet crusing as my LS430 is now. At idle, both are about the same, except you may think the S500 is more so, as the front interior space is wider, giving the perception the noise floor is lower. According to C&D measurements, this is not the case.

While driving, both the LS430 and S500 will be quieter than just about anything I have ever driven and riden in, including a few Rolls.

What distinguish the LS430 from the S500 (at least after 12 months in my LS430), is that the minor annoying noise, creaks, and other undescribables, are much less irritating than the big German flagship.

I did drive the 2003 745i for a bit before buying the LS430, also the A8 and XJS. I would rate them as such:

1) LS430

2) 745i

3) A8L

4) XJ8

5) 760

6) S500

7) XJS

The 745 drives virtually noise-free as the LS430 over smooth roads. Over cobblestones, rail tracks, and Manhattan blocks, the 745 as well as the V12 760 can reveal some annoying noise from the cabin, of the un-classifiable variety. In this sense, even worse than the S500.

At speed, say 80-110, the best is still the S500, in my view. I have driven the Benz, both BMW, my LS, and the Jags at speeds up to 100 so far. In Jersey, no less!

Paul
  • richardm1richardm1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a lexus yesterday with the same phone feature and I have verizon wireless service. I need to buy a verizon bluetooth phone. Have you had any success resolving the problems that you have described?

Thanks.
    Paul - In case you ever go off the Pkwy and find yourself on Rt34 north of Rt. 520 (Colts Neck/Holmdel border) to Lloyd road in Matawan - Put the cruise on 50-55mph even though there is a traffic light or two. This is a notorious speedtrap area.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    I just used the lexol cleaner/conditioner this past weekend on my 2001 ls and they came out wonderfull. It took me a little longer then what their website said but I guess I was a little more cautious and anal. Good luck.
    Yep, leatherique's rejuvinator oil and prestine clean are definitely the best on the market so long as you use them by the directions and can let the car sit for quite a while in warm weather before removing the product, and have a good amount of free time on your hands. I actually use it twice a year, once as soon as it warms up and once right befor it gets too cold. If necessary in the winter I just place a auto-climate control space heater inside my car inside my garage, set it for 85 degrees, and let it sit overnight at least. Being inside of the car which is inside of my garage, once the space heater gets it heated up initially, it hardly has to work at all to maintain 85 degrees.

Zaino is my favorite conditioner to use inbetween Leatherique applications as sort of a maintenance/touch-up.

(This is on my 99 GS400 BTW, I don't have an LS)
    I find it extremely hard to believe that a Kia, 2-door bimmer and 25-35k dollar Chysler are the quietest cars out thee at 70 MPH cruising. Especially compared to the LS430 and other such true luxur cars.

Are you sure your stat is correct?
    What? LS430 owners rarely make typos!

They printed it during the review, and reprinted it in the annual "10 Best Issue". You may still be able to get that issue at a local. Ah, what the heck, here it is:

10 Best in what ???

That list just doesn't make that much sense to me. Its a mish mash of cars with such *notables* as Chevy Malibu Maxx, Chevy Aveo, Buick La Crosse, Kia Spectra, Suzuki Forenza (what ?) etc... Good thing the LS is NOT part of that stupid list, imo.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I was extremely lucky in that the very first time I test drove an LS400 one of the two I drove had A/S tires. The interior noise level with the A/S tires was definitely much higher than the LS w/summer tires.

Ever since I have been very careful to buy only summer tires for the LS, and always check the noise level rating at tirerack for the tires I do buy.

That's yet another reason not to buy the expensive ML sound system upgrade. You can "hear" the differnce with these levels of interior noise.

If you want your LS to meet or even beat the low noise levels of competing marques then use summer tires only, and empty a whole can of aftermarket undercoating onto the wheelwell liners of each wheel.

Oh, and moving the climate control blower function into the exhauster port in the bottom of the driver's side rear quarter panel helps tremendously also.

That latter also helps to keep the cabin atmosphere's RH lower and thereby fewer instances of sudden windshield fogging over.
  • ljslaw1ljslaw1 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry but no luck whatsoever. Motorola told me that a fix was supposed to come out by year end (2004). That hasn't happened, and Verizon can't tell me anything. If its not resolved soon I will break my Verizon contract (watch as they try to hit me with the $175 early termination penalty) and switch to Cingular/AT&T. Their bluetooth phones are fully functional.
    Hate to have to tell you this, but I just did break my Verizon contract and signed up with Cingular/ATT. Cost me $175 for my troubles, but well worth it, for me.
    My Query to Motorola.....

I purchased the V710 through Verizon the first day it was available for use with my Lexus LS430 Bluetooth capable navigation/audio system. The telephone has worked fine from the very first day: however, I can't find any instructions on how to download the "phone book" from the V710 to the LS430 bluetooth telephone system. I have heard that Motorola was working on a software update to provide phone book download capability. Please advise if you are aware of how to download telephone book from V710 to the LS430 Nav/Audio system.

Motorola's Response:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support, we appreciate your request.

Thank you very much for your considerations and interest in our products.

Regarding your concern, we regret to let you know that you will not be able to synchronize information from your V710 with your car via Bluetooth. Although the V710 is a Bluetooth enabled phone, Bluetooth is simply the connection that allows two devices to "connect". Profiles are the software built into devices to enable communication between compatible devices. This is important because if two devices do not have the same profiles, communication will not be possible. The V710 has the Handsfree, Headset and DUN (Dial Up Internet Connection) but it does not have the OBEX profile that allows you to exchange information via Bluetooth.

This means that, due to the lack of the OBEX profile, the V710 phone can only support Bluetooth capability for pairing-up with the handsfree or head device and for using the phone as a modem. It cannot be used for data synchronization like phonebook and calendar, not for media transfer, like pictures and ringtones.

However, we are happy to inform you that later next year, a solution should be available, that should allow you to transfer information from your V710 via Bluetooth.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope that you find this information useful and we remain at your entire disposal for future questions you may wish to ask.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please contact our Cellular Information Center at 1-800-331-6456. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM CST.

For information about Motorola products and services, please locate http://www.motorola.com/

If you cannot hipper link, please copy/paste the link into your browser.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Best Regards,
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    thanks for the info! I'll be interested to see how the upcoming generation of new sports/lux models (GS430, M45, STS, etc) stack up against some of the traditional leaders. Not that this type of car should automatically be as quiet, but also shouldn't be in the "boy racer" class of noise either.
    You're welcome Pearl.

C&D tested the M45 in the Feb issue. Idle is 45dBA and 67dBA for 70MPH crusing.
    Man reading their stats it just seems weird. I wonder if they use uniform testing methods (same temp, same road, etc?)

I mean in the general stage of progression, just for example, my fiancee's old 99 Accord EX was average IMO in terms of noise. My friends 03 Accord EX was much better. Like almost night and day better. By that same token my GS400 is a night and day improvement over my friend's 03 Accord. And then further progressing, the LS430 is a night and day improvement over my GS400.

So then it just seems crazy to me that despite all of that progression of night and day differences in noise levels (at least in my perception and the perception of my friends), that a Korean econobox is quieter than even the quietest cars in that progression.
    Well I just checked consumer guide, and even though they don't give decible ratings for cars, they do rate them on a static scale.

But they did give the Kia Amanti good ratings (8/10) for quietness. Then again 25 grand for a Kia would probably buy you plenty of sound deadening wouldn't it? (I didn't know the Amanti cost that much). The quietness rating they gave it was actually roughly on par with the Lexus ES330, and they also stated it was on par with many luxury cars.

But then for the LS430 they give it a 10/10 and say it's one of the quietest cars around, period.

Hmmm...

As much as I love objective stats, I just can't bring myself to terms with this one. :P