Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I had black exterior and black interior on my 98 LS400. I never had a problem with heat in summer inside the car even on days I was at the beach all day.I even had the car down in Myrtle Beach one year. While I always desired a silver or black with a black interior I did find the black interior rather dark at night as compared to the lighter interiors. This ecru interior is a new color by Lexus and is very bright (I don't know where they got that swatch from in the book - it's not even close to reality) and I do find it a refreshing color and certainly a 180 degree change for me. But a black interior is quite luxurious with silver - I think even more so than with black exterior. I saw it on a GS430 in the showroom and it was stunning.
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    The MBS 430 with designo silver comes with "Shell napa leather,MB-E430 designo silver has Dark Green /charcoal nappa leather.The MSRP for this option on the E Class is $6050.
  • garyctgaryct Member Posts: 12
    I was on vacation a few months ago and took some nice pictures of a midnight pine LS430 with ecru interior & 16" chrome wheels. Nice color! I wish I could have seen it in the sun.

These pictures are big and are very high resolution so unless you have a fast connection it will take some time to download. Enjoy!

Gary

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292899537

That picture looks like the base car and not an ultra-lux. If so the interior is actually ivory not ecru as the ecru is only available on the ultra-lux. The ecru interior is very bright (like an off-white color) whereas the ivory is really a light tan color. I'm convinced Lexus got these colors mixed up when they published their brochures. The pine color gleams in the sun and the greenish tones can clearly be seen (I have the color). When it is away from the sun it has a rich almost black look to it. But the color causes you to look several times at it because somehow you know its not really a true black. If you look close enough you can see the very dark green tone. I love the color and the car gets many compliments.
  • skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    The pictures supplied to us (generously I might add by garyct) are indeed of an Ultra Luxury package. Though this is the first Ultra Luxury car that I have seen that did not include the Nav/Lev. There are several keys to identifying an Ultra Luxury car: 1) The "Ecru Bird's-eye maple" wood(Gray)is only available on the UL (not yet certain about the soon to come Custom Luxury) 2) The beautifully stitched leather on the door armrests, center counsel and glove compartments 3) The controls on the center armrest for the back seat adjustments 4) The perforated leather seats. Not to mention that one of his pictures actually shows the sticker which identify's rather specifically the Ultra Luxury items and their costs.

As for the term "Ecru" in describing the leather color. It should be kept in mind that Ecru is beige/tan for non Ultra Luxury cars. For the Ultra Luxury the so called Ecru interior is actually properly called "Ecru Nap pa" or Ecru-Ultra Luxury which refers to the leather (white) and the Wood (gray). This Ecru Nap pa or Ecru-Ultra Luxury is actually lighter in color than the Ivory leather (which is available only on the Non-Ultra Luxury cars). Generally it should be remembered that there are two Ecru interiors one for the Non-Ultra Luxruy which is tan and one for the Ultra Luxury which is white w/perforated seats.

Hope this clears up some confusion.
  • aloog8aloog8 Member Posts: 11
    My Silver LS430 with Bordeaux interior has been called elegant and rich. Bordeaux is a warm and restful color. The deep red wine tones are not overwhelming, especially since part of the interior is dark gray and part is light gray. The color combination works.
    I didn't think it was possible to get an ultra without the nav which is why I dismissed it as an ultra. Thanks for clarifying.
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    I myself am having trouble playing DVD's. Can anyone clear this up?
    thanks in advance
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Thanks much for uploading. Fortunately I have a cable modem so looking at the high res pictures was no problem.

This week I spent quite a bit of 'quiet time' in the Lexus show room looking at a Ultra LS430 first thing in the morning while my GS400 was being worked on. The interior truly is incredible. I just got looking at some Mercedes interiors at the Atlanta car show, and they're not even close.

The only thing I found odd on the LS is the new ecru (gray) wood color. It's 'interesting' (not ugly though in my view) but I'm not sure I would want it. I guess they wanted something unique.

I like the rear of the LS430 - very nice, but I think they blew it with the front end, and I think the car looks terrible side on with 16" wheels (and the design of both the 16 and 17" wheels are uninspiring).

But boy that interior is wonderful though...
    Well here goes again, this time a beautiful Blue Onyx/Ecru LS430! This out of all the colors I've seen is my favorite. I think the 17" chrome wheels look great with this color. I hope to order this combination soon. These are big high resolution pictures but worth a look. Enjoy!

Gary

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292896081

• slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    You were right sfmartin, something was fishy! The new car sales manager at my dealer explained that only the 11 southern states (from Texas to Florida) will only be special ordering the Euro-sport starting in May 2001. He claims that since demand in the 11 southern states is far greater for non-sport suspensions, those dealers voted to not have any more just sent to them. I've enjoyed mine since 10/00, I'm sure you will too. I just test drove a non-sport suspension ls 430 at a major motor speedway's "S" curve inner track that was set up to compare the new Infinity Q-45 (with the sport suspension option) to four other cars with the same approximate price point. The person in charge of the "competitive test drives" said that the ls 430 was requested more than the Jaguar, BMW, or Mercedes cars available. The 340 hp Q-45 was impressive, but I wish they would have compared it to the Euro-sport ls 430. The Q had 18" wheels with "45" low profile tires, while the 16" lexus tires were "60" profile. I also believe the lexsus tires need air, since they squealed coming into the pit area. Only time will tell whether the Q-45 will hold it's value and keep repairs down as well as the ls 400 has done in the past. I feel confident that the ls 430 will continue the high customer satisfaction levels enjoyed by Lexus owners.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    How did the interior of the Q compare to the ls, as well as others. i feel the ls interior is the best set up of any car out there. ergonomics are class leading.
    What is it now - 5 days or so since your delivery date and no post? Expectant fathers usually can't wait to talk about their newborn. Of course you may be spending too much time in the car as I did when I first got it despite all the snow we had up here at the time. Hope it's all that you expected. Did you get black interior or ecru?
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    My first deal fell through; I'll have to explain later.

So I'm back at square one with the local dealer and a late March delivery.
  • barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    I especially enjoyed seeing the pin striping. I'd like to add some to my black cherry pearl LS430. Your pictures are the first I've seen with pin striping!

Anyone know where I might see more pictures of pin striped LS 430s?

Barb
  • traylor1traylor1 Member Posts: 1
    I am contemplating the purchase of an LS400 from the 96-98 era. I have about $30K to spend and I'm interested in knowing if there's any differerences between these model years that are notable and would effect the price I should expect to pay.

I'm really torn between a pristine, loaded '96 with low miles or a higher mileage '98. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Also, has anyone had any experience utilizing the Lexus Certified Warranty? I need to know if it's worth the extra cost of buying from a dealer.
    There were slight style changes but more important performance and engineering changes in the 1998 model.The prior model change took place in 1995 which was the first "real" change from the original intoduction car in 1990. The 1998 will definitely be the better car than the 1996 (which of course is tied to the 1995 design). Check to see if the 1996 has vehicle skid control(if I remember correctly this was introduced in 1998), more airbags etc. I had a 1995 and then a 1998 and both cars were excellent but there is no question that the 1998 was the better car with better performance and more safety features. It also rode better and was quieter. The mileage issue would have to be pretty significant for me to go with the previous version (1996) of the car.
    It might be interesting for you to go to the bank and look up the LS 400 in the NADA Blue Book. The bank will make you a copy of that page and you can compare the different year models and prices and get a feel for how much each model is worth.

How much over Blue Book retail, if any, does Lexus charge for a vehicle that has the Lexus Certified Warranty? I'm curious because I've got my '95 SC 300 (bright red/black leather) up for sale at Blue Book retail, $21,550.

Since a 2 door Lexus is a thing of the past (unless you want a convertible), does anyone have any opinions on whether these older coupes might be considered rare or collectible in the future?
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    I just picked up my LS430 this past Saturday and all the bill broads are right. It's Heaven! This is my first Lexus so I set my expectation high on getting a very nice car, but this car blow those expectation right out of the water. The Euro Sports package and the ML sound system are fantastic.

This car has a smile factor of 10.
    You're up next. Someone put the maloyka (however you spell it; we Italians call it the evil eye) on that other deal you had worked out. Thank goodness you stayed friendly with your local dealer.

tv1db1 - Much good luck to you and welcome to the family.
    In my opinion the ls 430 interior is better all the way around. I'm 6' tall and the headroom is better in the 430 vs. the Q-45 when both have moon roofs.
    Here are some pictures of a Silver LS430 with pin

striping. Looks great IMHO!

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292886415

Gary

• afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    I noticed that the pictures that Gary posted indicated that it was Millennium Silver LS430 with a light charcoal interior. Has anyone seen this interior color, and if so, how much lighter is it than black? (Charcoal is usually very close to black.) And does it look like a decent interior and leather color compared to some of the other choices?

Al--
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I spent an hour in a silver/charcoal this weekend. It is MUCH lighter than the black, but is considerably darker than either ecru or ivory. I thought long and hard about it, since the car on the dealer's lot in charcoal was available and my silver/ecru will be some time in arriving, but it was still too much of the same pallet to me. BTW, I am wondering whether those w/the NAV system have found it cumbersome. I know that in my test drive, I wanted to fiddle with the stereo and it kept defaulting back to the map, requiring me to scroll through several screens and take my eyes off the road. I know the Lexus version is supposed to be more user-friendly than the MB, but this seemed to me to be inconvenient and downright unsafe. Comments?
    Light Charcoal really is a light to medium gray color....In Europe it's called medium gray by the Lexus dealers.

I ordered this color on my LS...found it to be very soothing and serene combination. Also, the wood was more understated than the type that comes with black interior. Both Ecru and Light Charcoal are very popular with Silver exteriors.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    What do you mean 'fiddle with the stereo'?

You can set volume, station/track from the steering wheel without taking your eyes off the road.
    The bass/mid/treble adjustments, and the front/rear/balance adjustments. Presumably once you have had the car for awhile, you would be inclined to mess w/these less frequently, but I find myself "tweaking" these adjustments on the knobs in my 90 LS now based on the quality of the recording etc., and would likely find it frustrating if I bought the NAV.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    The default back to the map is a preference setting. I have set mine so that whatever screen I am on will stay indefinitely. I have moved from a '98 to an '01, and I find the nav system much quicker when it comes to rerouting, etc.
    Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures.

Have you seen any LS 430s with a bigger, sportier, pin striping? I have the black cherry pearl/bordeaux, and I'm thinking about adding a gold package and a bolder, sportier, more daring gold pin striping. (I'm 39 years old and "this is not my father's" Lexus!)

Years ago I had a Camaro that was custom pin striped by an artist while I watched. It was amazing how custom pin striping turned a white Camaro into a one of a kind elegant beauty...
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Barb85, I have a blk cherry/ultra/ecru interior and am at least a little interested in your pin striping efforts. What color are you considering and if you do it, I'd love to see photos. My lighter interior would make a diff, but I'm sure a suitable color would look pretty good.
    Gold is the color I'm considering pin striping my black cherry/ultra/bordeaux. I think gold pin stripes with the gold kit would be striking on the black cherry paint.

I'll try to post pictures (after I get a digital camera). After tax time is over and I get a vacation I'll be looking for a pin striping artist. Also, I haven't had the gold kit put on yet. (I may get really daring because I can always peel off the pin striping and start over.)

If I had ecru interior, I'd probably try to match the pin stripes to the interior. Do you have the gold kit?
    I saw the new SC 430 Thursday. Absolutely beautiful! Lots of wood. The navigation screen is hidden behind a wooden pannel. In my opinion the steering wheel is nicer than the one on the LS 430. The wood part is sculpted just below the 10, 2 driving position in a bulbus way that gives one something to grip. The car is more narrow than my '95 SC 300 (for sale, by the way). Somehow the inside of the SC 430 seems prettier than the inside of my LS 430. Can you believe it??

I saw it with the packaging still on it and had to talk them in to getting the key. (The boss hadn't seen it yet, and they acted like they were breaking all kinds of rules.) They wouldn't open the trunk or operate the convertible top or put the key in the ignition, but I sat in it and it's absolutely gorgeous! I'll be in the area Friday, and maybe I can drive it then.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    VSC check light went on last night. Seems like there is a computer glitch in the 45-55 degree temperature range. It has to be reprogrammed with updated software. LS 430 owners may want to be allerted

Just returned from a 2200 mile fantastic driving experience. Driving at night in torential rain and looking for the turns was no challange at all with the voice and visual NAV making it a no sweat painless experience
    Barb85, no I don't have the gold kit, but I thought about it. Not sure what it would look like against the cherry w/ light interior. The pin stripe would probably look good in gold, which may in turn make the gold kit look good. I just don't want to overdo it. I'm supremely happy with my blk cherry as is and don't want to mess it up. It is such a unique color.
    I negotiated dealer cost on the Gold Package (about half of what they ask) before agreeing to the total price of the Euro-Sport/Parchment exterior ls 430. In my opinion, it looks as good as it does on my 90 ls 400 in white. The gold plating on my 11 year old ls 400 has held up very well, but you do find yourself polishing & cleaning inside the "L" curve gold logo, especially if you have chrome wheels with the gold logo inserts. Also, in my opinion, the upgraded gold license plate frames finish off the Gold Package nicely.
    Any new buyers have updated money factors and residuals on the LS430....especially through Lexus Financial? 39 months...? MSRP & purchase price..?

Thanks
    I am at .0033 money factor (7.92%) and 57% residual on a 39 month term. Taking delivery next week and want to make sure I get the best money rates as they come down. It also helps to know what part of the US you reside in.

All info appreciated.
    Unfortunately I don't have any updates for you but what exterior/interior color combo did you go with.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    wbwynn -

Don't know what state you live in but in California, on a 39-month lease, the annual registration fee (DMV)is due in month #36 for the following twelve months. So if you return your LS to the dealer after 39 months, you've wasted 75% of your registration money. Probably not a big deal considering the overall payment size.
    I went with my same original request...Silver with Light Charcoal. By the way, my first deal fell through because they actually shipped me an LS with the wrong color interior. Hard to believe, but true. I waited a month for the car and had to refuse delivery when the transport finally arrived.
  • gadgegadge Member Posts: 2
    does any one have info on how dvd movies play and info on what lexus is doing with the problems with the phone
    I think that if one wanted to play a DVD movie, it would have to be loaded in the same place as the mapping software. When you get an upgrade in the mapping software, wouldn't they load DVD discs into that DVD player? I don't think it's the same player that plays CDs. Where is that mapping player located? Anyone?

Haven't heard anything about the phone.
    The DVD player is in the trunk. That's where the software is updated from (anyone know of a new version, my ver. is year 2000 - a new one should be out by now). As for the phone, I've heard nothing either and am anxious. It is the one real flaw in design that I have found in the car. I wonder what they are doing in the new SC430, since it came out after these phone problems.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    Believe I've read on this forum or elsewhere that to play a DVD movie, the DVD disk has to be loaded into the DVD player in the trunk AND the gearshift lever has to be in Park, or some such fail-safe technique. Obviously it doesn't work that way with the Nav, but maybe those disks have some instruction or code built in that bypasses the fail-safe mechanism.
    And why, exactly, would you want to do that? Seems pretty dangerous/unnecessary to me. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  • gadgegadge Member Posts: 2
    I tried puting the dvd movie in the nay unit in the trunk it still dosent work has anyone ever played a movie in this car
    The Edmunds report on the LX470 suv is the only place where I have read that you can play a dvd movie via the nav system albeit without sound and only in park. Edmunds data is very accurate so I don't question it, but why would you risk your nav system to play a movie that you can't even hear the sound of. Perhaps there is something unique about the truck's nav system.
    Were you able to drive a discount on your lease deal? I called my dealer to make a service appointment for the silver car today and asked him if car was still hot. He told me he has only two demos available and all cars being delivered in next two weeks are already sold at full list. I paid full list for the silver but drove down price of the pine $2,500. I would have thought the Wall Street downturn may have affected sales and prices but apparently not - at least not in NY/NJ area. At least money factors are lower thanks to the fed easing and perhaps will go lower still after tommorrows fed rate cut.

I love both cars and look forward to your comments when you get yours. Did you look at the SC430? I told my guy I wanted to test drive it just for the fun of it and he said and I quote "good luck finding one".
    I was at my dealer for my weekly drive-through (looking at LS colors) and saw a bright red SC430 on the lot. Actually got to sit in it. At 6'2" leg room is of paramount importance to me. It had a surprising amount of room (they claim nearly 44"). The interior is a bit flashier than typical Lexus, with lots of brushed metal, but it was elegant nonetheless. The exterior is far more attractive w/the top down, IMHO; the top looks as if it is 2 sizes too small for the body, an observation I read elsewhere but agree with. Maybe I will buy one used in a couple of years as a toy.
    Where are you guys getting these flags from?