Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Got my 7520 for Nextel network yesterday and got it working on the LS this a.m. Easy to do the initial set up and have both received and made calls using the dial pad and one-touch.

Having difficulty trying to load the phone book. I know the Lexus system says only 500 numbers in a phone book but is that 500 total between the 2 phone books or per each phone book.

I tried to load the book and need to "send" it from the 7520 to the car which I can't figure out how to do this a.m.
  • pingpng50pingpng50 Member Posts: 16
    I'm sold. Please tell me what "mxv4" (225/55/17) means. I plan to ask for it when i spec out my car. thinking modern luxury package and nothing else. Comments please from all who are interested. Thanks to you all. Don't know what i would do without you.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    hello pingpong50 : mxv4 = michelin tires on a
    17" rim . the '05 ls430 comes standard from japan with 17" rims and dunlop 5000' " v" rated 225/55/17 ... a $ 200 option is 18" rims with the 5000's in an 18' size . in some parts of the country ( zones ) the dealers ordered ls430's with the optional 18" rims and dunlops . some zones ordered both 17" and 18" . some did not order the 18" option . if you are in a zone where all the cars are 18" rims ... you must order a car with 17's ( takes 9 weeks ) . ls430's built in april for may delivery are coming to the usa with 17's or 18's ... for the customers choice on the " spot " . the early 05's ...( fall of '04 ) ... all ls430's had the 17's .
    the factory ( japan ) does not put mxv4's on ls 430's . they use dunlop 5000's . they put the mxv4's on es 330's and rx 330's ?
    your dealer , if they wish can swap the dunlops for the michelin's if that's what you negotiate in advance on your purchase order .
    actually the 18" dunlop's cost $ 300 a tire , and the michekin mxv4's cost $ 200 a tire . there are 5 tires and 5 wheels on a ls430 .
    if you do go for a " swap " ... specify michelin mxv4 energy star " h " rated ....( not " v" ) ... the h's ride smoother and hold the wet much better . you'll never drive fast enough for the v's anyway . best of luck.
    NOTE : YOU MAY PREFER THE 18" RIMS AND DUNLOP'S .
    POSSIBLY YOU COULD DRIVE THEM BOTH & DECIDE FOR YOURSELF . THE MOST SENSIBLE PACKAGE ON A '05 LS IS NAVIGATION / LEVINSON ... THE ULTRA LUXURY PACKAGE ... IN GENERAL OPINION IS FOR THOSE WHO WISH SIT IN THE BACK SEAT WITH A DRIVER AT THE WHEEL WEARING A CAP ON HIS HEAD .
    mitchell rowe
  • jj655jj655 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 18" with Euro Suspension. I LOVE IT! Much better in my opinion...but this is my first NON-German sedan.

The road noise is a little more and the ride a little more firm, but much better handling and looks...

Just my opinion.

Also, I have heard that only about 9% of the LS430's have the Euro suspension...so combinations of colors may be limited.

GOOD LUCK!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Thanks jj655.
    I spoke to the salesman who worked my LS 430 test drive this afternoon. He says that the euro-suspension hasn't been offered on the LS since 2002.(!!!!)
    This didn't sound right to me from all the feedback I have gotten on this thread, so I will contact a different dealership and start from scratch. That will also give me another opportunity to drive the GS 430 which I liked.
    Sounds like this salesman is driving with only one shock.
    Regards,
    hpowders
    hpowders :
    i just went to www.lexus.com .. and clicked on ls... there is a sport package with euro tuned suspension with the 18" rims and tires for $ 220 .
    it does not say , but i THINK the tires are summer tires in that package .
    i am reasonably sure the car has to be ordered ..
    ( about 9 weeks ) ... very few dealers would have one unless someone cancelled their order after the car was built .
    mitchell rowe
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I contacted the Lexus dealer in Orlando about a week ago and they claim to have one LS with the Euro sport package. It is quite a distance from me, so I have not gone over yet. I find it had to believe that it will satisfy my desires. Even the MB E500 does not sporty enough for me. The 545i is incredible!!! Just my opinion. Please report back if you get the chance to drive the car in Orlando. Good Luck.
    How would you say the Euro sport package compares to a BMW, like the 545i? I have driven the 545i and much prefer it to the MB E500 (have not driven the Euro sport LS yet - been waiting a year for my local dealer to get one). If the LS with the Euro is like the E500, it is not really sporty enough for me. Thanks.
    Hey mitchellrowe.
    Unfortunately, when you put in a Tampa zip code on lexus.com., there is no euro-tuned option. The best I can come up with is 18" all season tires.
    I guess it depends where you live.
    hpowders
    Yeah. Orlando is pretty far from me too. I e-mailed the Clearwater Lexus dealership asking if they had a euro-tuned, 18" summer tire demo. Waiting for them to get back to me.
    Right. The 545 is incredible as might be the upgraded 2006 530. I thought the new GS 430 was close to incredible-excellent handling. Only, Lexus is asking 16% over invoice($8000 over invoice in my case).
    What I may do is extend my BMW lease 4-5 months and get the favorable "December To Remember" money factor for the GS 430 or a euro-tuned LS 430 if I like that at the end of the year.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • mitchlmitchl Member Posts: 5
    hpowders :
    try my zip code : 08043 : i am south jersey ...
    see if that will do it ... if not , let me know ,
    i will download it and send you the file my e mail .
    ----
    the dealer in orlando : about a year ago , i believe ... meaning i'm not sure , but i think lexus took over the operation there . that could possibly be the reason they have a euro suspension car . that's probably the only one around for a " spot " delivery .
    why not take a day off and go to orlando and drive it ... either you'll like it , love it , or get it out of your system .
    personally , i doubt if if it handles as a bmw ,,,but it 's worth a shot .... lexus does some uniquely unbelievable tricks in their build.
    i own 3 bmw's myself ... for some of my children ... 2 325 xi's and 1 of the new 3 series sport utes ... all are 4 wheel drive with michelin mxv's from the factory . up here certain days of the winter can be brutal on a car ... and the bimmers fit the bill .
    mitchell rowe
    Hey mitchl:
    Your zip similar to mine-18" all season tires; nothing about euro-tuned suspension.
    hpowders
    hpowders :
    i typed in : www.lexus.com
    i was connected to the lexus official site
    i clicked on ls as the model
    i clicked in prices and options
    i zipped it as 08043
    i scrolled down to sport package $ 220
    it said euro tuned suspension with 18' wheels

please try again .. i will wait to see if you get it
    mitchell rowe
    Okay but I just got off the phone with Clearwater Lexus and they told me they have a 2005 LS 430-euro-tuned with 18" summer tires. I will demo it tomorrow at 10am.
    hpowders
    hpowders :
    ?
    the auto dealers are open on sunday in florida ?
    mitchell rowe
    Clearwater is.
    There is no euro-tuned option when I plug in your zip.
    They offer 4 packages-none with euro-tuned.
    hpowders
    hpowders:
    best of luck tommorrow

i hope this lexus dealer pdi's their cars by the book & torques the lug nuts to spec and checks the air pressures in the summer tires

have a nice day

mitchell rowe
    hpowders:
    it is called " SPORT PACKAGE "
    euro tuned suspension with 18" wheels and tires : $ 220....

if want me to e mail it , i will be glad to do so ...
    mitchell rowe
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Good luck, Howard, but I have to predict you will find the GS430 more to your liking. If not, then Lexus has really missed the mark on the GS. It was targeted to the buyer that didn't need the size and smoothness of the LS, who was cross-shopping the Bimmer 545 and the Infiniti M45, etc.-- sounds like you! The LS Eurosport is targeted to the S and 7 cross-shopper that found the regular LS too "isolated". It doesn't give the LS the performance of a mid-size sports sedan!

I'll be interested to see your reaction to the M45 after you drive that-- especially if you can try it with and without the Sports package.
    If you go to Elite Dealers(who isn't??!!!) and go to "Florida", the first column has 4 Lexus dealerships. You will see that all 4 are open on Sunday!
    Hey Garyh1:
    I already tried the GS430 and liked it a lot. No. Lexus did not miss the mark on the GS430.
    I am sure the salesman will ask me to demo one after he sees me drive up in a BMW. I would love to drive it again.
    Yes. I am seriously considering it.
    Even the BMW fanatic, Trevor Hofmann, at Canadian Automotive Network, admits the GS 430 is the equal of the 5 series. He gave the GS a rave review several days ago.
    We'll see what happens.
    Regards,
    hpowders
    Hey thanks anyway, Mitchell, but you don't have to e-mail it.
    Appreciate it.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Most reviews I've read say that the driver's seat is extremely comfortable and can be adjusted to suit most. I've had my 05 LS for 6 months and just can't seem to find a perfect spot. I keep having to change either my position or the seat adjustments every 25-30 miles. It feels like the configuration of the back rest changes after a while ever so subtley. Am I imagining or has it happened to anyone else? I moved to the LS from an RX and may be cannot get adapted from the captain's high seating to the low bucket seats?? I love the car otherwise, but keep wondering why I can't find a comfortable position in a car I spent close to $ 70K. ONLY for this reason, I have had thoughts about trading my 6 month old LS to get the new GS or GX (and take a big financial hit). Any comments would be very helpful.
    Yes. I drove an LS 430 several days ago and found the seats just "okay." Nothing great. The most comfortable drivers seats I ever sat in were in a 2002 Passat and a 2004 Volvo wagon.
    hpowders
    mox1 : ? ... open the drivers door ... look closely at the point where the seat back meets the seat bottom ... squat a little if you have to to see ... IF THE SEAT BACK AND SEAT BOTTOM ARE SEPERATED .. EVEN BY 1 , 2 OR 3 INCHES , THEN :
    most likely ... ( now this is my opinion ... not known by me to be fact ) ... there are two OE builders of seats for the ls 430 ... one builder builds the drivers seat with a seperation between seat back and seat bottom ... and the other builds the drivers seat neck and neck ( seat bottom and seat top touching each other ) ...
    if your ls430 has the seperated bottom and back ,
    try pushing the button on the side of the drivers seat to lengthen or shorten the seat bottom ... in an attempt to place the seat bottom and seat back in tandem ( touching each other ) ...
    further : release electrically ( another button on the left side of the drivers seat ) the lumber to zero ( let all the air out ) .
    if that does not help your comfort , go to your dealer , look at other ls430's ... find one with the tight seat back , seat bottom ... and if it's the same color and same leather style ... ask your dealer to swap the seats ... it's 4 bolts on the floor ... labor time = 1/2 hour . if your leather seat cover shows wear , the dealer will ask you to buy another seat cover , so the next guy get's a new car .
    again : i don't know this as fact ... but i sure as hxxx know what you are feeling ... been there , done that .
    mitchell rowe
    Mitchellrowe's comments are most interesting. In my experience, the forward-back adjustment of the top seat cushion is the most critical setting-- for the good or the bad. I have it set in a way that works great for me, but when I had a cousin (who is about 6'4") sit in the car, he couldn't fit in even with the whole seat all the way back. Then I adjusted the seat cushion itself back, and all of a sudden he was fine in the seat. Go figure....
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    My LS430 followed a 2000 E320 with standard seats. The MB seat is rock-hard with no lumbar support. And you what...I have driven in it as much as 950 miles in a single day and found the seats to be great.

I also have had issues with extended drives in the LS. With the lower seat cushion extended for thigh support, the rear portion provides less lateral support. I have been the most comfortable by 1) raising the seat as far off the floor as headroom will allow, 2) reducing the lumbar support setting, 3) tipping the front of the seat slightly forward, and 4) moving the entire seat forward to unload the thigh when my left foot is on the footrest.

If the lower seat cushion had more lateral bolstering over the entire length and was not as concave in the center, I don't think any of us would have any of these issues with the seat.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    This might be hard to believe for some on this thread, but the most comfortable seats I've ever had were in my 1994 Cad Fleetwood! It was like sitting on my great big living room sofa. It had 3 lumbar support adjustments. I still kind of miss that car...should have kept the old relic as a momento. They just don't make 'em that big anymore.
    With that said, I tinkered with the LS seats and found a comfortable position. I've taken the LS on long drives through the desert to Las Vegas without "seating fatigue". I think you'll get used to the LS seats...they're pretty good once you get used to them.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Hi all!

My 2005 LS430 just hit 5000 miles and now I am stuck with a big red EXCLAMATION mark on my dash reminding me that "Maintenance Req'd"

I've checked the manual to see if i can disable this annoying reminder with no luck -- and I've searched this forum with no luck either.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to disable this light/message. I don't plan on going in for service 'till 7500 miles.

By the way -- this is BY FAR the best vehicle I have ever owned. Wow, double wow, and wow again.
    The rude red exclamation mark on my speedo has GOT to go though!!!!!!

HELP!!!!

Thanks!!
    I had my second test drive of an LS430 this morning. This was a pre-owned 2004, euro-tuned, 18" summer tires, modern luxury package with about 12,000 miles on it.
    This one felt and drove better than the other LS which was essentially a no-frills basic LS.
    This driver's seat was so comfortable that I could have easily fallen asleep from being so relaxed.
    I felt like I was riding on air. Never felt this way in any other car.
    A much better experience .
    One negative-I noticed that to accelerate and feel the power there is a slight delay when stepping on the accelerator.
    Anybody else have this problem?
    All in all, I can see why many people are very loyal to this car.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    Just went through the same thing. Go to page 95 of your owner's manual & follow the instructions for mileage reset.
    Glad you had a much better experience this time!

There is a fairly recent Technical Service Bulletin on this delay on acceleration; I believe it involves a reprogramming of the computer. I have also found that the computer "learns" how you drive and adapts accordingly; it is possible that the previous owner consciously or unconsciously "trained" it that way.

So the question becomes (for you and any other previous German performance car owner)-- are you willing to trade off performance at the margin for greater comfort (and of course reliability). Also, that comfort also gives a greater sense of isolation from the road; some people see that as a positive, others as a negative. The fact is that an above-base LS handles well, but you certainly don't get the engine noise, the sense of being low to the ground, and some other driving "dynamics" that smaller sports sedans offer.

And of course the LS has some very nice toys-- did you get to play with them?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Not surprised by the change in your opinion but am surprised by the seat. I've always found the LS seats supremely comfortable dating back to 1995. One thing that doesn't change from model to model is the seats. Coverings may change but not the seat itself. Maybe the other one just was bad or you never got it set right.

Did you drive the GS again??
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I had my second test drive of an LS430 this morning. This was a pre-owned 2004 . . . . . This one felt and drove better than the other LS which was essentially a no-frills basic LS.

Keep in mind, hpowders, that the overall suspension or shock absorption system on the '04 and earlier is very different from the '05 LS. That was why I preferred the 'feel' of the used cars and didn't really care for the "couchmobile" ride of the '05 (although I ended up with an '05--none of the '04s had heated seats). Lexus.com website talks about this new system: constant leveling or something like that. Kills any sort of resemblance to a Euro-feel drive experience. ~sigh~
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
    The only thing that changed mechanically was Monotubed Shock Absorbers. It shouldn't be a dramatic change. Lexus usually doesn't significantly (From a mechanical) change a car after its mid-cycle refresh.

The drive by wire system being installed on all of these cars is a major pain. I'm told this system adapts to your driving style. In the ES forum, some say to drive it hard initially to get rid of any hesitation. I'm not sure why they went this electronic route to begin with. It seems pointless.

SV
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Hp

I think they are all that way...I have heard some say it is better in the 05 but mine is an 01 so I don't know....did you use the power button this time.
    No. I didn't get to play with them. However, I did like the way the ac gratings can swivel although that could be distracting after the novelty wears off. Kind of neat how the rear window sunshade rises when shifting to reverse so the backup camera can do its thing.
    The driver's seat was very comfortable in the 2004 pre-owned LS but wasn't in the basic 2005 LS.
    Sure. I can see myself in one of these.
    Unfortunately, ALL GS's at this dealership have "SOLD" on them.
    Contrary to what some folks have been posting here, quite a few people must not find the GS too ugly.
    I did walkarounds for 6 GS's and the "gotta have it" factor was pretty high for me!
    But I have to admit, except for the annoying hesitation when stepping on the gas, the LS was impressive.
    I didn't realize that, famwald. I asked the salesman about any changes from 2004 to 2005 and he said it was basically the same car.
    One things's for sure-I will drive several 2005 LS's before I make up my mind.
    The accelerator hesitation would definitely be a deal-breaker if it happens in 2 other demo's.
    Yes, Michael, this time I used the power button.
    Really surprised by the hesitation.
    But those seats and pillowy ride,,,,,,ahhh!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

So, how does the handling compare to the 06 GS430 and to your BMW? Is it close?
    No it wasn't close. The Lexus LS relaxes you with great seats and a pillowy smooth suspension. Its cornering leaves something to be desired. I also was bothered by an annoying hesitation in acceleration. You don't expect that in a $55,000 vehicle.
    The GS430 on the other hand cornered very well. Its interior is smaller than the LS-more like a BMW 3 series. The GS had strong acceleration with extremely well-weighted steering-quite BMW-like. I also liked the way it looked.
    I am anxious to see comparos involving the GS430-especially against a BMW 545.
    I see Consumer Reports will be testing a 2006 GS in one of its future issues-perhaps June or July. Unfortunately, It will go up against the Acura RL, the Audi A6 and the Cadillac STS but not the BMW 545. Don't know if it will be a GS 300 or a GS 430.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Yes, it's there. The same stupid drive-by-wire throttle that causes the burps in engine rpm when trying to smoothly come back on the gas after rounding a slow speed corner.

About the computer that "learns" how you drive: It definitely is able to "read" how you're pushing the pedal, but how does it "know" what you're trying to accomplish? If it knew both, it could make adjustments to give you exactly what you desire, and everyone would be impressed. But, it doesn't know and doesn't impress.
    Funny though how not one review of this car, and there are many, never mention this hesitation in acceleration.
    I will try and drive the GS 430 again to make sure this hesitation isn't there also.
  • milsuperdocmilsuperdoc Member Posts: 29
    Last Friday evening, on my way home from a long day at work, my 2004 LS 430 had that same red EXCLAMATION mark light up on my dash. Along with it, check engine light, trac off light, and check VSC light all came on. My LS drove fine, however. I dropped it off at my Lexus Dealer the next morning (their Service Dept opens 7 days a week till 9 PM!). Aparrently there is a TSB for this issue, but they could not download the software from the Lexus Tech Support. I had to drive 2005 ES330 service loaner the whole weekend. This morning, they called me to tell me that they were able to download TSB software and they were successful in reprogramming the ECU. I drove my LS all day long today, and no problems. AFAIC, I'd rather have the red reminder light come on than to not having it.

On the side note, 2005 ES330 was a good car, better than previous year models. However, it felt too light and when pushed the engine sounded too loud although acceleration was not slow by any means. The road and tire noise (michelin tires) were quite high too, depending on the surface of the road. I suppose I'm just too spoiled with LS. ES just did not do it for me.

I'm just glad that I have my LS back!
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I found the instructions to disable (or at least put off for another 5K miles) the dreaded red exclamation mark and service reminder.

The description of the reminder message is on page 96 of the manual... the instructions on how to RESET the light are on page 95 -- a bit of backwards logic there and that's why I could not find it.

Again, Thanks!!
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    I am new to the lexus arena and need to bring ls430 in because radio station pauses every 30 seconds. Does the dealer automatically provide a loaner car or do I have to ask? It is an Elite Dealer and I still have time under the warranty even though the car was not purchased there.
    Just curious, is there a Lexus dealer out there who is not an "Elite Dealer?"