Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    I agree Costco is a great place to buy tires, but believe that their balancing equipment is inferior to what you will find at a high end tire store or Toyota/Lexus dealer.

I have had problems twice with balancing, they said it was the best they could do. My Toyota mechanic fixed the balancing problem both times. Think he said the shop had equipment that cost in the six figures.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I purchased a set of Michelin PS2's for my Porsche at Costco in Memphis in July and they seemed to take extra care to be sure they were perfectly balanced. The machine they used was state of the art from my viewpoint.

3000 mile drive home to Seattle was quiet, smooth, and pleasant. Well, except for my meeting with Captain Cook of the Texas highway patrol just east of Van Horn.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I have the rain sensing wipers on my 03 LS and my 05 RX 330. I don't particularly care for them on either car. I too have experienced the same problem that you have, i.e., wipers run at very high speed sometimes with very little rain or moisture on windshield and then slow when there is considerably more rain. I think this is just a lousy system on Lexus cars and would much prefer the older wipers where you could select the various intermittent speeds. Don't believe your windshield replacement had anything to do with this. Just poor system design. LOL with the dealership on this one.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's not perfect by far - but it's the only system I know of on the planet. Lincoln used it for their LS for years, it was identical.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    Aftermarket glass --- may not be as heavy and thick as the Lexus glass. That thickness contributes to the quietness of the interior cabin. Do more research before committing to the cheaper windshield. You may live to regret it.

As for the erratic windshield wipers, I posted about that same problem here a few months ago. Just put "wipers" in the SEARCH THIS DISCUSSION box at the top right of these posts and you'll find my post. My car is at the dealer this week and I asked them to check that when they do the 10k mi service. Whenever I get the car back and we get some drizzle, I'll let make a post on the results of the wipers. That wipers thing is annoying. Dealer is currently having the front hood repainted, under warranty, at a body shop and I'm in a loaner until who-knows-when. Nice little RX300 with heated seats to-die-for. :)
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have had this option on an E320, LS430, ands RX330. Foggy condensation was a problem with the E320, but this only occurred in the warm service bay of the dealership. I like to use Rain-X on the windshield. It may not last as long as some of the newer products, but it works very well with the sensors. Since the sensors are not reached by the wipers, the Rain-X holds up pretty well over this area of the widshield. The other beauty of Rain-X is that it works better the harder the rain and the faster the speed.

I'll bet that most of you will like your rain-sensing wipers a lot more with Rain-X.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    As soon as someone has experience with the new Verizon Razr or Nokia 6255 on the Lexus, I would love to hear if they are an improvement over the Moto V710.

Had aftermarket glass put into my windshield today. Haven't seen it yet but I have another '04 LS in my garage for a few weeks so it will be easy to compare the appearance, fit, finish, distortion and sound deadening compared to the OEM glass. I'll let the group know what I find and the manufacturer of the aftermarket glass.
    "..... wipers run at very high speed sometimes with very little rain or moisture on windshield and then slow when there is considerably more rain."

I got my car back from the dealer today. Re: the sensor wipers--- I was told it has to do with the amount of moisture and to back down the sensitivity setting on the unit. Blah blah blah. In other words, Lexus says nothing is wrong with it, that's the way it works. BTW, we did have rain yesterday and the RX300 loaner car's wipers did the very same thing. I'll have to learn to ignore this erratic behavior on the part of the wipers. Wonderful.
    :P

"It's not perfect by far - but it's the only system I know of on the planet. Lincoln used it for their LS for years, it was identical. "

Actually, my husbands '03 BMW 530 has the sensor wipers and they work perfectly, as any sensor-driven wipers should.
    They never go nuts and do 5 to 7 swipes in a row during drizzle or light mist.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    If it makes you feel any better, the rain-sensing wipers stink on my BMW 545 also.
    Must have used the same genius Lexus uses.
    So much rain build-up and when I just about am blinded, it decides to give me one swipe of the wiper blades.
    I will bypass this feature and just use the regular wiper mechanism. At least it's consistent.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I use the Nokia 6255 with the LS -- it is functional, but not 100%. As far as I can tell, there is no way to transfer the address book to the car. The "important" features work well though. Calls come in and can be placed handsfreee with no problem.

There's a strange quirk I've encountered though, I have the phone and the car set up to hook up automatically whenever I get into the car -- usually at first it beeps and says : "bluetooth connection failed" and then a few seconds later it beeps again and says "bluetooth connection successful" after which it connects and works just fine.

Wipers: I've never had a car with this feature, but now that I do I like it. A slight mist triggers one or two swipes for me -- not sure why you are getting 5 to 6 frantic swipes with a light rainfall. With this feature I rarely touch my wipers and the windshield is always clear -- me likes it!!

One Year ownership comments -- I've had my '05 LS for a year now and I am VERY impressed with this car. The smooth, powerful ride in this car is the best I've experienced. The quality and quietness of the interior continues to amaze me. Every switch, every button, the feel of the materials -- it all oozes top-notch craftsmanship. Service experience at the dealer has been top notch so far. -- I love those Lexus loaners!

I get bored of cars easily, but this one continues to keep me interested. Favorite features: smart key. back-up camera, auto folding mirrors, parktronic sensors, rain-sensing wipers, and that smooth powerful cruising feel when on the highway.

LEAST favorite item: the darned beeping that comes on every 60 second when the washer fluid is low-- this drives me NUTS. It sure has trained me to keep my fluids topped off though!!!! Also, a couple of times during the past year the car has hesitated when accelerating quickly after slowing down to make a turn -- perhaps its just my bad driving habits?

Overall I give this car a 9.9 out of 10 and strongly recommend it to anyone who may be interested in buying one.

The 07 LS looks like a winner too -- I think I might be an LS owner for LIFE!
    How do you place the hands free calls with the Nokia? I have always hoped I would get the Nav LCD populated with phone numbers but no luck so far. I receive BT calls hands free but I have always placed them with the phone keypad.

Haven't driven my '04 with the new windshield yet since they said I should let the adhesive set for 24 hours if possible. It looks great, however, and indistinguishable visibly from the OEM except for the Lexus etched marking. Even the black dotted decal around the attachment site of the rain sensor is the same.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    "... the car has hesitated when accelerating quickly after slowing down to make a turn." I had the same occasional problem on my 04, and read on this board that there is a TSB TC006-04 which cures it. When I asked the dealer to install it they at first gave me a runaround, but after I insisted they did it, and I haven't noticed the hesitation since. Of course I don't know if the same TSB is also available for the 05. Good luck. It's a small thing, but on such a perfect car it is annoying.
  • jaibeejaibee Member Posts: 8
    We could use some help. Recently purchased a Motorola from Verizon. Understand that there are some real compatability problems connecting it to our LS 430 2005 system. The download doesn't work and we understand that it "may" be fixed at some future date. In the meantime, how do you enter phone numbers along with the names and keep them in the phonebook? It appears that you can only get 18 numbers in the phonebook. Apparently there is room for about 1000+ so how do you get there and put names along with the number?

Appreciate any help.
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    Famwald: What is the problem with your hood that requires repainting under warranty? My one year old black 2005 LS was just done because of large numbers of tiny chips in the paint of the hood and bumper due to road debris. Much smaller than regular paint chips that you get from small stones but went through the various layers of the paint.
    The only way to get phone numbers into the LS phone book is to use a non-Verizon Bluetooth phone to do the transfer. That phone does not even have to have active cell service so you could probably get one on ebay. Any numbers that are in the LS phone book can be used with any phone that is subsequently paired with the car. I have heard that some dealers will help you with this.
    The exception to this is the Verizon Palm Treo 650 which will allow transfer of stored phone numbers to the LS. You can even transfer multiple entries at once by sending a category of your contacts. The reason for this is that you use the Palm software for the transfer which the regular phones do not have.
    I have also noticed that it will sometimes take a while to establish the Bluetooth connection, sometimes after the car tells you that it failed. I am guessing that the "failed" message comes on after a certain time but that it can still connect when the phone eventually does what it has to do. In the case of the Treo I would say that this only happens about 10% of the time. Usually connects in about 10 seconds. I also sometimes use a Cingular Motorola phone and that definitely connects faster, probably around 5 seconds.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Nokia 6255 -- sorry, no-can-do on the handsfree calling (dialing); I mispoke. I have to hit the steering wheel phone button and then press the # I want on the nav phonebook -- which for some bizzare reason are blank while you are driving -- you have to memorize what phone number you assigned to #1, #2 and so on. Weird.

Bluetooth feels like a "not yet there" technical innovation on this car. Still, it is a very nice feature for incoming calls. Also, I like looking up restaurants in the nav and calling ahead to check wait times without having to pull out and dial on the phone. Using the nav override that lets your passenger type in while driving is the best feature I've discovered here at Edmunds -- ever!
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    The exception to this is the Verizon Palm Treo 650 which will allow transfer of stored phone numbers to the LS. You can even transfer multiple entries at once by sending a category of your contacts. The reason for this is that you use the Palm software for the transfer which the regular phones do not have.

This great news. I have a Verizon Treo 650 and I entered a few "1-dial" numbers by getting an incoming call from them and then saving them, but I never figured out how to transfer from the Treo's phone book.

Can you please pass on any info on how this is actually done? What Palm software did you use? Thanks a lot!
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Don't hold your breath on Verizon "fixing" the Motorola phone. I purchased the Verizon Bluetooth Motorola the first day they came out about a year ago. The phone works great. It always comes up on the nav system screen quickly and works fine in the car. It does not ring in the car, but does mute the volume on the radio/cd if you have it on and turned up. However, as noted above, it will not download the phonebook to the nav screen. I too thot that Verizon/Motorola would fix this. I have received info that Verizon has been the target of a "Class Action" law suit regards the witholding of certain bluetooth features that were imbeded in the phone by Motorola. They are offering an option of discontinuing Verizon and receiving a $25 refund (not sure of this one), continuing Verizon and receiving a $25 credit, or continuing Verizon and receiving full credit for a new phone. The lawyers come out great, they get $6 million for their trouble. I doubt if Verizon has learned a lesson, and doubt they will run an upgrade to existing bluetooth phones.
    I have not done this for a while so I am not sure if you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between the Treo and the LS first or if the connection is established by doing the steps below. I believe it is the former but try it both ways.
    Go to the contacts section of the Treo.
    Click on the contact you want to transfer.
    Press the menu button and from the "Record" menu and select "Send Contact".
    The choices are Bluetooth, MMS and Versamail and Bluetooth should be highlighted by default.
    Press OK and then select the device to transfer to, in this case "Bluetooth Handsfree"
    To send a group of contacts, select the category you want to send from the drop down menu in the main contacts screen and then choose "Send Category" fronm the Record menu.
    You could categorize the contacts you want to transfer as "Lexus" To categorize a contact, open the contact, click the edit button and select the category or create a new one in the box on the top right.
    Once the contacts are in the LS phonebook they can be transferred to the 18 one touch dial stations. When the car is stationary you will see the name and the number but when moving the number dissapears. Evidently Lexus feels that you will be distracted if you try to read the number while driving. That is why if you add a number only with no name from your incoming or outgoing call log, all you see is a blank space while driving.
    Thanks very much ikey78, I got this to work but with one additional step: before the final send step on the phone, you need to go into the car setup and select "Transfer Phonebook" so the car is ready to receive the info; otherwise, the transfer just fails and the Treo locks up. Hopefully, this will help anyone else reading this series of posts.

Also, I discovered that if the contact has more than one phone number or any other info, no phone number will transfer; you get the name but just a series of vertical lines for the number. This made the transfer almost worthless to me; unfortunately, virtually all of my contacts have home and work numbers, let alone also cell and fax numbers. Also, only the first 8 characters of the names transfer, and that is ordered by first name first, not last name (even if the order is by last name on the Treo). I assume you haven't heard about any workaround for either of these issues? I guess I will try creating a limited list (one number, etc.) in Outlook with "Lexus" as the custom category, then transfer it to the Treo, then to the car. Hopefully this will work. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the list I just transferred.

I wonder if anything is different if you apply the latest software patches to the Treo? I never did that since I wasn't having any problems, and I long ago learned with software "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Gary: Yes, I forgot to mention that you have to go into the phone settings in the car and select Transfer Phone Data and then "add to phone book" rather than "overwrite phone book".
    I am able to transfer contacts with more than one number and I have not noticed that the names are truncated. The contacts are filed under the first name but this is an issue with transfer of phone data from non-Verizon phones as well. If there are two numbers for the contact eg Work and Home it puts the second on the list in the LS even if both are labeled work.
    I bought the Treo in October and updated it with the latest 1.04 patch before using it. I believe the update did resolve some Bluetooth car issues so it might be worth doing.
    I hope that the new LS will have a way of entering text data for phone contacts directly into the car system using a virtual keyboard. That will give Verizon customers not using a Treo a fairly easy way to get some of the info into the car. It would also be nice to be able to transfer the data from one car to another because you have to re-create the phonebook when you get a new car. On the Motorola phones you can only transfer the entries one by one.
    OK, now you've given me the incentive to go through the update patch process that I have managed to avoid thus far. I guess you didn't have to worry about losing stuff already on your Treo since you did it "before using it". I already had a ton of customized stuff on my Treo when the patch came out and didn't want to take the chance of messing it all up. If you have any suggestions on doing that update that you learned through experience, I'd welcome your input. Feel free to send me an email directly (my address is in my Profile) if you think it would get too far off topic here.

A virtual keyboard in the LS would be very nice, but of course if Verizon would just open up the Bluetooth data transfer profiles, life would be easier for everyone. But seems like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks again!
  • blk99lsblk99ls Member Posts: 4
    I have heard several complaints of the LS hesitating after slowing down to make a turn. I experience this all the time. Is this a defect or just a LS trait? btw this is the best car I have ever driven. It seems like at night the car really shows off it features.
    I have now driven several days at local and highway speeds with my replaced '04 LS windshield made by PPG glass. I have compared it with the OEM windshield side by side in my garage on another "04 LS. There is no difference. I definitely made the right choice passing on the Lexus OEM glass at four times the price installed.

Hopefully the '07 LS will have a better phone/NAV system with regards to Bluetooth. I was hoping that the BT Nokia phone (6256i) would get great reviews on this forum since some Nokia models were certified to work well with the LS and this particular phone is reported to have full BT profiles. Verizon does not sell it at their corporate locations and one needs to get it at a Radio Shack. I also got the V710 when it first arrived and am unimpressed with teh settlement but hope to change the the CDMA RAZR or something better when this settles next month.
    I have heard several complaints of the LS hesitating after slowing down to make a turn. I experience this all the time. Is this a defect or just a LS trait?

You didn't say what model year your car is, but there is a Technical Service Bulletin (006-04) that addresses this issue in recent models. Many people who got their dealers to follow this procedure report that it totally solved the problem. I believe it involves re-programming the drive-by-wire computer. Check out this message on the Lexus LS Owners: Problems & Solutions forum:

Post 1416

If you search in that forum on "hesitation TSB" you'll see messages from folks who were thrilled with the result. But apparently, some dealers are not aware of the fix unless you tell them about it.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    blk99ls, Like garyh1 said, you should look into getting the reflash done as described in the TSB, but it is for newer model vehicles. Your name implies that your LS is a 1999, so I am not sure if the reflash is available to you (was Lexus using DBW back then?). For more info on this subject, there is an Edmunds forum specifically addressing this problem in all models, although the discussion is generally about the newer Toyota/Lexus transmission lag/delay/hesitation.

"Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)"
    Well - I had a cheaper, aftermarket windshield put into my Lincoln Navigator - and lived to regret it. It not only had more distortion than the factory Ford glass, it also didn't even completely fit the window frame correctly, and the top/driver's corner stuck up out of the molding forever-more. I figured, the next time I caught a rock, I'd get it replaced with OEM stuff and remedy that mistake, but I never did break it again. This replacement windshield was made in Mexico - and was clearly inferior to factory stuff. But it was hard against rocks.
  • craignhpcraignhp Member Posts: 14
    If you'd take your V710 to your local Verizon store, they'll update the firmware and it will ring in your car through the speakers. I have an 05 LS430 and it works fine in that (after I had it updated). It won't do anything with a phone book however. I'd transfer to Cingular, but we have 10 lines for our business and Verizon has better coverage in our area. I agree that the $25 settlement is lame. I just want the phone to work.
    But sometimes the aftermarket glass comes from the manufacturer's original OEM.
  • dadcatdadcat Member Posts: 29
    There is a way to override the blanking out of the 1-touch phone # and also allow usage of the LCD keypad to make calls. But it involves cutting a wire or two behind the Nav screen. I haven't done this yet on my RX400h, but plan to do so shortly. If you do a Google search for 'zube vss dial', you should find a reference to a poster named zube. He has performed this mod on several different vehicles.
    The last time I was in the Verizon store (about 6 weeks ago), the young lady sales rep suggested that we not do the update. Her advice was "If it's not broke, don't fix it. I think I'll wait until I get the letter/results from the class action and trade the V710 for a newer model with bluetooth.
    I would do (and did) the Verizon V710 update. The only way you know you have an incoming call with the old software if the NAV screen turns blue and the stereo mutes. After the update, your phone will ring as it does without a BT connection. The Cingular phones ring through the car stereo speakers which is even better. That Verizon rep was just lazy and if it is a lot of trouble to repair the software for them, then shame on them for this whole fiasco. Once the class action settles in January, I will likely swap out my V710 for a RAZR.
    Depends upon who sells it - but PPG glass should be as good as the OEM stuff.
    Got the V710 update this evening. They kept the phone for about two hours while I went shopping. I believe they had to restart the update onece and also had some kind of a patch. When I got back to the car, the Nav system could not recognize my phone. I fiddled around with the help of the Verizon Tech and we got the car to the point where it sez to enter the PIN number and added the given number from the LEXUS book and finally got the system going again. It does ring in the car now. Thanks. I looked at the Razor and the Treo while there. If I went with the Treo on the class action trade, I could get rid of my Palm Pilot and have only one digital device to carry around. Time will tell.
    Over the last couple of weeks when I click on my bookmark for these Lexus forums, I get the following message:

You are here: Forums Make Index
    Post could not be completed due to login delay
    OK

As soon as I click on my bookmark the 2nd time, I immediately arrive here at the forums at the usual lightning speed (broadband cable connection) and with no problem. I'm not having this problem with any other website I visit. I tried making a second bookmark and I have the same problem.

Anybody else having this trouble?
    Any idea what could be causing it?
    Yes, exactly, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I tried to post via "reply" while the system was read only.

Flaw in the reply path in that it let me open a "write".
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Is this happening every time you come here, no matter what time of day? Email me your bookmark and I'll check it out.
    We are having some intermittent server problems in the mornings lately and you are probably right about the reason.

Famwald if it's only happening to you in the mornings, that's the problem and you don't need to send me your bookmark. But I'll be glad to look at if you want me to.
    This happens any time of day, including now at 9 p.m. CST. Only on rare occasions lately am I able to visit the Lexus Discussions page on the first try.

How do I e-mail you my Bookmark?
    I log into "all models discussion page" then choose the 430.
    When I click on my bookmark, the browser shows this address:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/ed_displayMakeRelatedDiscussions!ma- ke=Lexus
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Happening to me as well on all my PC's at any time. Will try to resave favorite over again and see if it clears it up.

Putting MXV4 Plus tires on my car in next few days. Current tires have 33K miles on a 60K lease so I'd rather change now and enjoy new rubber for a longer period.
    Bookmark change doesn't work. Pat - must be programming change on Edmunds end. This has never happened before until the last 4 or 5 days.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    My 2003 LX470 has the v 02.1 DVD Nav. The current Nav version in the '06 LX should be 4.1 or 4.2, if my memory serves me. Is this correct ? Does any one know if the LX shares same DVD with the LS of the same year ? Is it a good idea to upgrade to current 2005 Nav version, or should I just hold off till 2006 release ? I feel the Nav misses location quite frequently sometimes by as much as a block away, which can be quite frustrating. OTOH, the HD-based Nav in my '99 LS has a far better accuracy than one in my 2003 LX. What gives ???

Unfortunately, the LX forum is one of the most *dead* forum on Edmunds ever, hence my asking here. Any help would be appreciated...

ps: All 2003 LX470 came with Lexus link transponder, although mine is not activated. If I want to, I can still activate it cos my insurance will give me 25% discount on my premium with activated Lexus link, so I am thinking, what the heck... Any thoughts on Lexus link from those who use it or not use it would be appreciated as well.
    Hmm, I'm not having any trouble at all using that. I've tried it several times in Firefox and in IE, with and without autologin.

Maybe you and ljflx should go to the Help link on the left and then the Contact Us tab and report it. You'll need to be as specific as you can be about your system - OS, browser, give them that link, etc.
    Well, I have the Lexus Link activated on my LS, oac. But honestly, other than pushing the Services button once just to see what happened, I've never had occasion to use it. And I suppose (like insurance) that's a good thing. The gentleman who answered when I pushed, was very nice, and didn't even have an Indian accent.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Thanks nvbanker. A friend of mine has an '05 Escallade and loves the OnStar system (same as Lexus link). Says it is very useful for him.

BTW, found info on Lexus Navigation systems across all models and years. Hope it helps others who may have some quandary about their Nav version and upgrades....

link title
    I've been told that Lexus Link and OnStar are answered by the same operators at the same place - it's virtually one and the same system. That's what I've been told....
    Supposedly a dedicated Lexus staff using Onstar sites and communications/technology - at least that's the way it started in 2001.
  • rolandjrolandj Member Posts: 2
    a bit of corporate mixing. a little like "julius wile & sons."

i guess it may be obvious that i am gently threadjacking, but what i want is some information on wile & sons:

i found an undated bottle of benedictine that looks old, and i am trying to place it in a given decade.

it still bears the wile & sons tag - i thought maybe after wile & sons was absorbed they would stop putting a label on their bottles and thus give me a year range for this thing.

a little off thread but you're the only person i have found on google searching that seems might know something about the timing for that company disappearing.

anyways, yeah, onstar and wile - similar ?

;)
    Well, that works.....
  • g2gregg2greg Member Posts: 1
    I have the Motorola E815 and am trying to pair it on my Lexus 2006 GS300 I have Verizon and can't get the phone to ring through the car. What was done to make it ring through the car? Was there a specific ring tone that was chosen? Bluetooth is working fine except for the issue with it not ringing in the car. Any specifics or other ideas? :confuse: