Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    IMO, the ES, while a nicer Avalon, is no LS430. Older folks I know have done just what you're contemplating, and inside of a year, traded their ES on another LS. You just can't go down that far and be happy it seems. Buy your LS. You'll be glad you did.
    Wow - something so simple..... I'm ashamed I didn't think of it myself. Thanks, gteach.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sounds as if maybe one of the reasons you've reached your twilight years is because you have avoided the hazards of FWD.

I suggest you continue to do so.
    I concur completely. As I said, the ES is no LS.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I would suggest that if you drive around alot- trips- that you purchast the current car and use it for a year or so more...The new Ls is coming soon and you then may prefer a new one that should take you the rest of the way..I think that gives you a dream to hold on to....Tony ps If you do keep your present car give some consideration to an extended warranty
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    ..."one head mechanic stated the ride quality is poor compared to 05 or above."

Ride quality will be different between the 04 and 05 LS models. '05s have a different suspension system. I noticed it when I test drove both model years (used 04 and new 05) and personally preferred the 04 'ride'. The dealer didn't have any with heated seats so I went with a new 05 model.

Have you moved to a different area, with different road materials? That can make a big difference in ride and noise levels.
  • dnicednice Member Posts: 3
    i just bought a 92 ls 4oo and the engine light is glaring at me while I drive. How much would a thourough tune up cost? anybody
    :sick: :confuse:
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    to leza2279 : currently , i own an ls430 . i ordered a 2007 es350 that arrived last week . no , i did not buy the car , and switch . For $ 41k it is a joke on the buyer . the car IS NO DIFFERENT THAN THE ES 300 OF 1992 , EXCEPT FOR THE EXTRA TOYS . additionally i tried a test drive on the "luxury" model ,( $ 44+k ), and the drivers seat hurt my back big time .: speaking of seats , the front of the drivers seat has an electric bladder that inflates and deflates , to "IMITATE" the action of the ls 430's adjustable seat bottom . that "mickey job" should be in the "can you believe it " book of "flops,and fibs .
    OBVIOUSLY , NO TO THE ES 350 . KEEP THE LS 430 .
    You don't need a tune up, you need the error code downloaded, and the part that has faulted replaced. That could be next to nothing, or a few hundred dollars. But new plugs won't help. The light will remain on.
    I just came from firestone and based upon what I told them they concluded that I need to replace the starter and may or may not need to replace my powersteering fluid pump. what is an error code and how can I downlad it. I could use your help. I hope it is as simple as you say. If not, I have to come up with $1400.00. :cry:
    What you said is wrong with the car, cannot be related to the starter or the power steering pump. RUN from those guys.... they're crooks. Do you have a Check Engine light on?
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    strongly urge you to take your car to the dealer. Even if more expensive, they will fix it. No way is a "check engine light" coming on because of a starter or power steering problem. If you let Firestone "fix it" I predict you will be sorry.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Why take your LS to Firestone ? Like others have suggested, run from this shop and get a certified Toyota or Lexus mechanic to inspect and diagnose the problem for you. Inspection and diagnosis is under $100. That'll save you a lot of headaches, I suppose.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Hi Pat,

Recently the display format for this page seems to have changed to a bit wider than it used to be. I have my screen set for 1024 x 768 pixels and the page is a little too wide so I always have to scroll it horizontally to be able to see the last few letters on each line. Is there some way that I can change the display format to accommodate 1024 pixel width? It appears like it is set for 1080 pixels wide -- is there such a standard?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Gee Renny, I can't imagine what is happening. I view this page on one of my computers at 1024x768 all the time without seeing that, and that's with mildly enlarged fonts. Do you have your fonts enlarged?

Why don't you drop by the Forums Software discussion and post there. Perhaps one of the Forum admin types can help you with this. Scan through the last few pages - you'll see where others had this problem at 800x600 and that the techies fixed that the middle of this month.

I'm sorry, I know how aggravating having to scroll from left to right to read each line on the page is.
    Got an email from Sewell Lexus (Lexus-parts.com) announcing that the LEXUS 2006 DVD Navigation System Update - Generation 4 - Version 6.1 is now available for Pre-Order for November Release. $288, though they also say if you return the old DVD to Lexus they will give you a rebate of "up to" $40.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ....and he's proud of it. He says the LS is the finest car in world and wants Ford to reach that level of car making.

Check out the article below. It seems like Ford's got themselves a CEO with some mojo.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/BUSINESS01/609060459
  • jerry5505jerry5505 Member Posts: 13
    I thought my LS430 2004 was riding rough, took it to the dealer and he could not find anything wrong either but told me to only put 30 lbs of air in the tires. I had a 2002 RX300 which I thought rode better after changing tires to Good Year.
    Did you just acquire this car? Seems like you don't like much about it. If you have the 18in wheels, the ride is a little harsher, but the cornering is enhanced. I had an 02 which had 16in wheels on it, and I upgraded them to the LExus 18in wheels as soon as they became available in 04. I actually thought the whole car improved, got quieter, and handled better.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Hi All: I have a 04 LS Ultra with 16k miles presently, my car rides
    increasingly harsh and feel every small bumps and drain covers on the road; feel like it doesn't have shock absorpen and the air suspension is not working properly, I tried to use the normal or sport mode, it doesn't make a difference. Took it to the dealers(2) total 4 times, multiple test drives and inspections, both stated nothing wrong with the suspension system, stated original tires in 85% new without flat spot and no need to change tires per dealer, I had the tires balanced. I seeked assistance from Lexus customer care with phone calls and a letter, all stated nothing wrong with the car and they won't do anything about it, one head mechanic stated the ride quality is poor compared to 05 or above. Tires balance and alignment done recently. Paid $70k for this car, ride was like butter when I bought it, and noticed the change a year later, and now the ES loaner car takes bumps better than my own. Does anyone have the same problem or suggestions? Please advise, thank you. swiftm001
    Update: Taken my car to Mission Veijo in S.Cal three times, same complaint with harsh ride, they said "nothing wrong with your car and that just the way the car designed", brushed me off completely. Again, I requested Lexus customer service to intervene; referred me to Tustin Lexus, service tech diagnosed the problem in the first 15 sec of test drive, found strut seal leaks to the right front air suspension system, fixed it and checked all other area. The car now ride like it was new, I reported Lexus of Mission Veijo to the BBB for the shaddy service, which I asked them to open the suspension system to check it three times, they refused. Focus on the strut seal leaks if you have problem with the harsh ride. Swiftm001
    Air suspension, strut seal, leaks....

Sugar pills come immediately to mind.
    Do these cars still have air suspension? I thought that was dropped years ago for unreliability? Am I delusional? I was quite positive my 02 didn't have it, and am equally sure my 05 doesn't.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Air Suspension. I copied this from Lexus web site regards the 2006 LS430 Ultra Luxury selection. I note that the last item I copied shows "Adaptive Variable Air Suspension" as standard on the UL selection. I think it's been the same since at least 2004:

"Ultra Luxury Selection (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $11,320 [2]
    - Mark Levinson® [3] 11-speaker 240-watt [4] Premium Audio System
    - Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [5] with backup camera [6] and Bluetooth® technology [7]
    - Perforated leather seating surfaces
    - Dynamic Laser Cruise Control [8]
    - Adaptive Variable Air Suspension....."
  • producer97producer97 Member Posts: 6
    I just picked up a used 05 LS w/ 36K miles and w/ Modern Luxury package. Other than the floor mat on the driver's side, the car looks brand new. One thing I was suprised by, though, was the level of wind noise when I go 65 mph or faster. I mean it's quieter than my 04 Taurus, but still very present and definitely audible. Was my expectation of no wind rush unreasonable? Many thanks. -Victor
    Thanks rgsw. I should have done that research. So, since I've not had the UL package, probably I haven't had the air suspension. That would explain my observation of the apparent absence of it on my cars. My current 05 has everything but the Dynamic Laser Cruise and I think, the Air Susp.
    Not sure what to say here - I've had my 05 up to 133mph, and sure, I heard the wind, but it was muffled and the quietest cabin I've ever had. Are you sure yours has never been damaged and had a fender replaced up front? Sometimes they don't put the sealing in correctly near the window... I don't know - the LS is the quietest I've ever seen, wind or not.
    It's not unusual at all for a third-party mechanic or a DIY to discard the airflow baffling/"shielding" under the car.
    Good point there, I had forgotten that.
    Hi wwest,

Your posts are always so informative (if succinct), but this one went over my head:

"Air suspension, strut seal, leaks....

"Sugar pills come immediately to mind."

Are you saying those things are just placebos? What am I missing?

Best regards -- Renny
    Insofar as I know there are no "struts" within the Lexus air suspension system to "leak".

Did the service tech who fixed the "leak" feed you a sugar pill?
    My '05 LS is THE quietest car I've ever owned. Even on the freeway with the a/c on low and the radio off- hushed silence is all I hear.

If the wind noise you are experiencing is NOTICEABLE enough to concern you, then there is probably something wrong.

I'd take it to a Lexus dealer for inspection.

One of the greatest benefits of owning this car (for me, at least) is that I can shut out the world around me and drive in peace and quiet. That is, unless my two little toddler "angels" are making a racket in the back seat!!

Don't let this issue go unresolved -- you're missing out on one of the BEST features of this car.
    Thank you. I knew I would learn something.
    Thanks for your advice!
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    producer97: there should BE NO WIND RUSH EVIDENT ON THE LS
    take the car back for a refund . the car has been worked on incorrectly , and you'll never find what's missing . just take it back and get another one . THE CAR SHOULD JUST BE A QUIET WUSH ......
    Can somebody else share what the steering on the LS should be like? My steering is all weird. Basically, the car doesn't return to the center once I turn the wheel a little bit. So if I turn the wheel a little to the right, the car keeps going to the right, to straighten it out, I have to turn to the left a little bit, but then it keeps going to the left, so i have to turn to the right, etc,etc,etc. Needless to say, it's very annoying to drive this car on the highway. I just brought it to the dealer, but he didn't find any problems, even though a local tech said the car needs "a litle alignment" after test driving it. They gave me an RX (which seems really crappy now comparing to the LS), but it was really easy to steer and the wheel seemed to want to return to the center once I turn it slightly either left or a right. The dealer didn't charge me for the test drive, so I don't know if they even did it. Any recommendations? Should I take it back and insist on a test drive together with the tech, or even take it to another dealer? Many thanks.
    Thanks for your advice!
    You don't say what year but my 92 LS had a stearing damper which I removed to get better stearing road "feel".
  • baller4ever85baller4ever85 Member Posts: 14
    My driver side door on my LS430 won't shut!!! The motor for the door closer isn't working. Anyone had this issue? Can't take the car anywhere now and Im sure the battery will die.
  • afiber2afiber2 Member Posts: 8
    I just received notice that my 2001 LS Lexus Link system will cease to operate after 12/31/07 as Lexus is discontinuing the older analog systems. Cars built before 2006 will not be able to switch to the newer digital operation. If my memory is correct, the Link System was a $1000 option when I bought the car. I use the link and it saved our bacon on one occasion. They also will disconnect the system for free --humm.
    That means that I spent $1000 for the system plus payed for 5 years of service with one year free. This will also devalue my car and I won't get as much for it when I sell it. This ticks me off. Any attorneys out there or is thia a grin and bear it?
    Bill
    Northwest Indiana - 01 Ultra
    Coming from a company that makes you hit "I agree" on the navigation screen each time you start the car, I am 100000% sure there's a clause in the lexus link contract stating that they could discontinue the service whenever they want and for ANY reason.

It does seem "un-lexus-like" that they'll dump link customers without at least a free service visit or something else as an "I'm sorry" or something.

I'm sure if you write Lexus corporate they'll do something to ease your pain a bit... give it a try!
    Well, here's the deal. Lexus Link is nothing more than full-on OnStar. It's the same product, and is actually done at the same location. They just have a corner of the building dedicated to Lexus, with employees dedicated to Lexus as well. But it's OnStar. I have a friend who works for OnStar in Detroit. I'll try to find out what the deal is, and if it affects other OnStar customers as well, or if Lexus is now going their own way (which I suspect is the case).
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I can't imagine your car being devalued by an inactive Lexus link. The item only cost $1,000 and is probably a 5 year write-off in residual pricing. Most assets that are add-ons like that have limited or zero retention value after 5 or 6 years. In addition 90% of the customer base let their Lexus link subscriptions go void after the first free year. You can't sue a company for shutting down something that loses money and/or not maintaining something that is not a necessity for driving the car. Something like this would have been a lot more valuable and retained much higher subscription rates in the pre-cell phone era, but with bluetooth and voice activated speaker phones widespread in recent years such a thing is a lot less valuable to customers now. In your case the loss of Lexus link is an inconvenience. An inconvenience is not lawsuit material and I'm sure there are outs on the Lexus side anyway just like there were outs for those who took Lexus link in the first place and then let their subscriptions expire. The moment a judge sees that a majority, let alone a high majority, of folks let their subscriptions expire you've lost your case. In the highly unlikely course you won the suit your remedy would be a small percentage of the original price paid - very much like getting back one year's worth of a prepaid magazine subscription after the magazine shuts down with a year of your subscription still to be fulfilled. In this case the most that would be is about $200 or about 30-60 minutes of a lawyers time.

Not trying to be harsh here - just realistic. I'm not a lawyer but I am well experienced in business law.
    I completely agree with you.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/accessories/lexus_link_firstgen.html
    The above link provides a run down on Lexus Link and the changes. Their is a "more information" button at the bottom which tells much more about the older model cars with Lexus Link and their fate.
  • dgmcdermottdgmcdermott Member Posts: 10
    I have had my 2007 LS460 SWB now for about 1 week-have driven both highway and city (1000 miles). My steering is comparable to other cars. The electric steering is smoother, but has a good feedback feel and it does return to center. Based on my experience-you need the dealer to fix the back to center issue.
    Thanks very much for this link. Very informative and helpful. Not much you can do with the FCC, however, this can't only be an Lexus Link problem, as LL is just a table in the back of the OnStar building in Detroit with dedicated employees - same system. I would think there are a ton more GM, Acura and other vehicles out there with the same problem.
    My steering is comparable to other cars. The electric steering is smoother, but has a good feedback feel and it does return to center.

I have only tested the 460 on the "3 mile test drive" so far, but agree totally, the steering is the best I've ever felt.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I made a mistake today and filled my '05 LS 430 with 16 gallons of BP Amoco regular (87) octane. By the time I noticed and stopped, I could only top it off with about 2 gallons of premium (93 octane).

Any suggestions on what I should do now? For example:

1. Put in some high octane additive? or

2. Put in more premium after every few gallons are used up? or

3. Burn the tank down to empty to get all the regular gas out of the tank, rather than trying to mix it with premium? or

4. Go to the dealer and have them change some engine settings and then burn the whole tank down to empty? or

5. Do nothing?