Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Our '95 LS has over 225,000 miles with no indication of a strut problem.

Why do you think yours need replacing...?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Thank you - I will do that.
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Member Posts: 46
    My car hits really hard on the right front...the right strut doesn't have any bounce...it's almost like it is stuck...if i hit a pot hole even a small small one...feels like metal to metal...feels really hard... hits really hard...
    Has it ever been replaced? If not, it's definitely due, as likely are the other three.
    OK here's the latest...I replaced the frut struts, replaced the michelin harmony tires with the same (all four)....the right side still does not feel as soft as the left side when hitting bumps/pot holes...pls advise...

Thx,

Gwen
  • mikeyinmomikeyinmo Member Posts: 9
    Twice now I have gotten caught in "fresh oil and loose gravel ahead" situations, which really trashed the lower plastic moldings with some tar actually up on the rear passenger door metal.

I searched the Web for mudflaps, but couldn't find anything that would fit my model.

Loyal readers, any ideas?

Thanks, Pat and Karen; this is a great site and I refer to it all the time.

Mike Mason inn SE Missouri
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Try these:

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/lexusls40019902000powerflowp414754336692.html

Power Flow Mud Flaps - 1990-2000 Lexus LS400

Item #P414754

$10.66 Each

Low Price Guarantee

POWERFLOW B SERIES PREMIER SPLASHGUARD SET, PLAIN, BLACK -- 15-3/4 in. height x 8-7/8 in. width; Includes installation instructions and mounting hardware; This splashguard set is molded from heavy duty material; Flexible down to negative 40 Fahrenheit and will not crack or discolor; Designed to complement vehicle's appearance.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • macdawgmacdawg Member Posts: 6
    I'm new to this forum, so hopefully I can jump in here and ask this question. I bought a used LS400 '95 today, with 110k miles on it. Bought it from a dealer who got it in trade-in, and there are no service records. Carfax was clean, and the car looks very well cared for an maintained. I purchased an extended warranty which covers many major issues, including, apparently, timing belt, timing cover, water pump, etc. Power train, base coverage, high tech coverage. Should I assume the timing belt was changed at 90k, given the cared-for look of car? Is there any way I can find out if timing belt has been changed? If it has been changed, does it need to be changed every 90k? I used to have a '94 Camry, which I think also had timing belt replaced at 90k? Should I just assume it hasn't been changed and do so, or should I bank on the warranty, should anything happen? Thanks.
    ... is critical on these engines, so it would not be wise to assume anything. If it breaks, then you are looking at major hassles and expense, covered by insurance or not, and in a car of that age, may lead to scrapping an otherwise fine vehicle.

If a dealer has ever changed the T-belt, they will put a specific sticker in the engine bay stating the date and mileage at replacement. If you cannot find any such sticker, the belt can be inspected by removing a small top section of the cover by a good mechanic.

Also, consider asking your local Lexus dealer to look up the VIN specific service history form there compter (assuming that the dealer you bought it from was not a Lexus dealer).

I would suggest assuming that it has not been changed, and get it done for peace of mind if $600-$850 is worth it to you.

And yes, it needs to be changed every 90k miles, which, in a car of this quality, can be done maybe 4 or 5 times till something else kills the vwhicle.
  • macdawgmacdawg Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I thought I recalled on my Camry that when the timing belt was changed they DID leave a sticker indicating mileage. I'll poke around. Thanks also for the idea of going to Lexus dealer and getting VIN specific service history.
    Good luck with the car!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    the first 2 years of the LS 430???...it seems to be a car with decent mpg, yet may be reasonably priced as it is not the current LS460...thanks
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    The LS 430 first year of production was model year 2001 and the last year was 2006. I think the only important upgrade during this run was model year 2004. The look did not change much for the entire run.

IMO, the LS 430 is one of the finest cars ever made. I think you can still get one that is certified going back as far as 2005, possibly 2004, which gives you virtually a new car warranty of 3 years or up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. There should be some great buys out there if you check around at lexus dealers.

My 2006 averages a little over 23 mpg overall with probably 75% around town. On longer trips it will get close to 30 mpg. Unbelievable for a v-8.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Can they be maintained and repaired (warranty-wise) at Toyota dealers???
    That I don't know. I have always used Lexus dealers, especially for warranty work because the ones in my area are really good. Also even with a used certified Lexus you always get a loaner, etc.

If you are in an area where there is no Lexus dealer I would imagine something could be worked out with Toyota/Lexus.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    It is about time to replace the tires on my 2006 LS 430 after 35k on the original tires.The Michelin primacy get good reviews and I am leaning in that direction. Will appreciate feedback, good/bad, on this tire. fyi--I live in the Wash, DC area so snow is not an issue for me
    This is my first post in more than a year and I continue to be pleased with the quality of the discussion and the Edmund's' staff that make it all happen.
    Thanks.
    Your LS430 deserves, and has earned, the quietest and most comfortably riding tires available out there in the marketplace.
    I am also thinking about replacement tires for my LS 430 after 40,000 miles. Are you saying the Michelin Primacy mxv4 is the best tire out there?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

No, I think the Bridgestone Turanza summer tire is the quietest and most comfortable riding.
    I put the Michelins on my LS-430, and the difference is amazing. Quiet, smooth, great handling. I think they're the best I've ever had.
    But wait until you have driven them 8-10,000 miles......
    You have piqued (sp?) my interest...what should one expect in 8-10K miles, as I have those tires on my Crown Vic..
    NOISE...!!
    Well, that will be very disturbing if it happens...... Must admit though, that the Dunlops I had on there got noiser with age, much noisier.....
    The michelin harmony tires. They came on my 97 ls400. I replaced them with the same...I like them so well, I just order a pair to go on my 01 sle solara. Just my opinion.
    and the michelin harmony tires comes with a 80k mile warranty. And they are quiet...even when they start to where....maybe someone else can provide pros and cons for the harmony...this is just my experience...thx,

gwen
  • alawoodalawood Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 LS 430 with 74,000 miles, when drive alone at highway speed the engine has a dead miss that comes and goes. I took it to a Lexus dealer and they said it was the drive by wire system. Is there a modular for the drive by wire?
  • alawoodalawood Member Posts: 3
    Found out today that my problem was the thorttle position senor, I also found out you have to buy the thorttle body to get the Thorottle Position Senor. #1250.00 worth.
    Our '92 LS400, 120,000 miles, has been "drinking" power steering fluid.

Often lots of smoke from the exhaust at startup but fine thereafter.

Turns out the idle-up air metering valve has failed and is allowing the PS fluid to enter the intake manifold. $140 for a new one from Lexus or $80 for the same item for a 91 Camry.

Since this is only used if high stearing effort is required I have simply blocked the airflow on both ends.

Anybody else use that solution and have you encountered any adverse effects..??
    Well, that didn't work, the pressure is pushing the fluid past the "blockage" and still flowing into the intake manifold. I think I'll replace the idle-up valve with a simple pipe plug next.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    So Willard, let us know what happened. Also, are you actually disabling the power steering altogether? And another thing -- isn't your 92 LS400 worth $80 just to keep it happy?

Renny
    I removed the PS pressure sensor and soldered the nipple, fluid pressure sensor end, SHUT.

This sensor only operates when the PS fluid pressure is quite high, say turning the wheels agains a curb or against the end stops. Rarely need the help. Power stearing operates normally otherwise, just no "idle up" in the above conditions to provide more flow/pressure.
  • mike9691mike9691 Member Posts: 1
    I've searched the threads and it doesn't seem that the struts on the base suspension have caused many problems. I recently purchased an '04 with 50,000 miles (now 55,000) and I've noticed that as the suspension rebounds, the rear struts seem to have no damping. While the car was on a lift, I did look at the struts and so no evidence of leakage. The front struts seem to be fine. I am going to have the rear shock inserts replaced. My question is this. Under normal circumstances, how long should these struts last? I've seen other posts claiming over 125,000 miles. As you know, this isn't going to be an inexpensive fix, so I'm wondering if it will be okay to leave the front struts alone?
  • bob204bob204 Member Posts: 7
    I am planning on buying a used LS and am concerned about gasoline octane and the fact that I have heard that one must use premium only and further that the car will not run properly without the more expensive gasoline. I am driving a Toyota Avalon and that, too, reguires premium but runs just fine with mid grade. Anybody out there to help me?
    My 2006 LS runs just fine on regular grade. The only difference I notice is that in mainly urban driving I get around 20 mpg on regular and 22 mpg on premium. Can't really tell any other difference. I usually use prem. just for peace of mind and the better mpg. Good luck. Great cars.

One of my nicest surprises was 30 mpg on highway trips ! Not bad for a nice V-8.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There's no reason your car won't run "properly". It might be a bit slower and you might get less mpg, but it should run fine because the car's engine management system will compensate for the lower octane.
  • muchogustomuchogusto Member Posts: 5
    I have an 05 that I routinely use midgrade fuel in with no problems or perceived degradation in fuel mileage. No apparent performance issues either, but I don't push the car. Hope this helps.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but posts advertising anything for sale have to be removed.
  • cookestcookest Member Posts: 1
    I am removing parts from my 95 for my 97. Which parts should I deinetly remove and keep
    Your first task is figuring out what will interchange. '97 had engine and styling changes for one thing.

I'd certainly keep anything that is small and breakable, like lenses (if they fit), turn signal switch, power window switches, glove box/console locks, relays from the relay box. If the alternator had the same part #, I'd grab that, too. If the stereos interchange, take that out, too.
  • mikez511mikez511 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a used 2004 LS430 recently. There is a black I/O button by the side of ECT POWER/SNOW button. I can not figure out what the button is about. I asked the previous owner and he did not know it either. He said it has no use as far as he can see. My question is : If the button is there , it should have some kind of use.
    Oh I think that eliminates 1st gear if I recall correctly, and also de-sensitizes the throttle, so that you don't apply too much power to the ground in slippery conditions.

It resets every time you turn off the car, so you have to keep pressing it for it to work.
    Thanks for your reply. I will check that out. But I just want to make it clear : it is a rock switch kind of button like the power switch at back of the PC. It is not push on, push off kind of button.
    ... the Owner's Manual would a be a good place to start.
    I don't have the owner's manual for your particular car. Possibly there is a sport suspension switch that activates the Power/Snow function to give you either/or. In that case, "power" would extend your shift points and "snow" would drop first gear and de-sensitive your throttle.
    Sorry, the owner's manual is missing. The previous owner told me that he did not have the manual when he got the car. He figure out everything himself.
    ... register as an owner at the Lexus website, I think you might be entitled to a free copy of the owner's manual for your car. Otherwise, I am sure eBay will turn something up. It may be a wise thing to do anyways. :)
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    For what it's worth, the '04 LS430 Ultra-Lux has a row of three toggle switches, labeled (left to right): SPORT-NORM, HIGH-HEIGHT-NORM, and PWR-ECT-SNOW. If your LS doesn't have all those options, maybe Lexus just left a dummy switch there to fill the hole. I/O certainly is not a very informative label.
    I/O simply stand for...In/Out???

Some people won't stop at anything...maybe I'm one of them... :P ;)