Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Without you and wbwynn in there with me I'm about to check out. I have that fighting spirit in me the same way you do - so I missed some of the action. But you're right - it always seem to deteriorate amd that's not good. I think we as a group never budged because we are so sure of our ground whereas their points have to come on attacks of style, handling (which is nonsense now)and when you cut through them they are very unsure of their ground.

Bitkahuna - About that auto review article - was the author a man? If so he must be married to the NY Times reporter who rather drive her daughters Maxima than an LS430. Don't even waste any time on it. These people discredit themselves better than we ever could discredit them with our comments. I bet Lexus wasn't advertising all that much in their publication. Now that the cars design is growing on you - when are you buying? BTW - I also see a lot of black, silver and white LS430's on the road. The pine color has also become popular and can easily be mistakemn for black and the parchment color (also developing in popularity) can easily be mistaken for silver or even white. Flint350 - your car is still unseen by my eyes except for your pix.

To the group - Is it me or do our hosts seem to be pro-Mercedes? Someone asked for a club earlier and there was no response. I remember on the S-class board someone hinted at one and there was an immediate response plus the host is always jumping in over there seemingly defending Mercedes. Check out the vvt posts over there.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you folks asked for an owners club earlier, I apologize for missing it. I'll be happy to ask Karen to set one up - shall I do so?

Personally, I don't know much about MB's and I certainly have never seen L8_Apex defend any car over another, so I can't really speak to the rest of what you are saying about your hosts. L8_Apex and I are the Sedans Board hosts, by the way. Any other hosts posting on this board are guests, just as you are.

For those who might not know, the Owners Club is a dedicated folder where you can have as many discussions as you would like. Take a look at some of them here to get an idea of the possibilities. You are not able to create your own discussions, but Karen makes them for you - all you have to do is ask. This discussion will remain here on the Sedans board, but will be linked to the Owners Club folder as well, making it accessible from either place.

You can "subscribe" to the entire owners' folder for the LS, which makes reading all the posts very easy to do.

Let me know if you have any questions - just give me a couple of positive posts on the idea, and I'll get the ball rolling.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    The HOST is definitely a MB pusher....(Pat...it's OK, there are worse things in life)

How are you guys doing? I am really enjoying the LS experience thus far. I haven't been on the board much, because I cannot get excited about windshields fogging....

May have to go to LUX board II and get things stirred up!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In our Lexus vehicles, or at any time, anyplace, just warmer air is not the problem, as a matter of fact, it is actually most likely the true solution!

The problem lies with airflow that is moisture laden to the point (there are other parameters that can play a significant part, but this isn't a physics lesson) that even SLIGHTLY cooling it further causes its relative humidity to rise to the point that the airflow can no longer contain, hold, the moisture it already carries. That is called the Dewpoint, the point at which "excess" mositure begins to precipitate out of the air mass, or in our case simply condense on the interior windshield surface as the moisture laden air mass closest to that surface is cooled. Just exactly like is the intent of Lexus, and almost all manufacturers, in using the cold vanes of the A/C evaporator to condense moisture out of the incoming airflow and thus dehumidify it as it enters the cabin.

A couple of things that are important that you should know.

The Lexus HVAC system does not reheat all of the airflow that has passed through the A/C evaporator and has been cooled in an effort to dehumidify it, as does most systems not designed or manufactured by Denso.

The airflow that does get reheated, and thus further "dehumidified" is routed, predominatly, to the footwell outlets. You can prove this to yourself by allowing the interior temperature to stabilize at the setpoint on a cold day and then measuring the footwell outlet temperature versus the windshield outlet temperature with the system in mixed, fllor/windshield mode.

I can only guess at the reasons for having such a serious design flaw in an automotive system, the warmer air routed to the footwell would be objectionable if felt by our upper body and face.

But, the problem. At temperatures below about 45 degrees F the likelihood that the system will be able to successfully dehumidify the incoming airflow is of quite low probability. In many regions of the country the relative humidity of cold airflow is already quite low. Automotive A/C systems, by design restriction, CANNOT cool the airflow below 32F. That's why Lexus/Denso shuts down the A/C compressor when the OAT declines below about 35F. Most other manufacturers (non-Denso)use 47F as the shutdown point.

If the incoming airflow is already below 45F, then its relative humidity must already be quite high if cooling it by only 10 to 13 degrees is to work in dehumidifying it.

AND there is an important factor here, this airflow must move reasonably SLO-w--l---y through the evaporator vanes to be cooled even to this degree.

So what happens to the relative humidity of the airflow that doesn't QUITE reach dewpoint while traveling through the evaporator? Most of it, that which doesn't travel through the reheat cycle to lower its dewpoint even further, will be routed to the windshield in the event the operator needs it defogged. Airflow already cooled to very near its dewpoint now routed to an already cold windshield.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Don't cha think?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but a little bird told me (Pat) that you were interested in having your own club folder in the Town Hall.

I'm here to announce the new Lexus LS Owner's Club is now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

"driver's unsuspecting or unintentional action(s)".

At one time the Lexus factory rep told me that what I should do is be more careful and pay more attention to the A/C "active" indicator light, and when it extinguishes that would indicate to me that the A/C compressor can no longer be used to defog or demist the windshield and I should then be prepared to use other methods, a towel maybe?

On any Lexus, when the OAT declines to about 35F, 32F for certain, the A/C compressor clutch circuit is permanantly disabled until the OAT rises again.

NO action by the driver, unsuspecting or unintentional, is required.

"Your application of warmer air to defrost the windshield only worsened the problem initially".

When the interior surface of the windshield is covered with a fine mist, fogged over, that mist will act as an insulating layer and thus warm airflow, or and by itself, will have no immediate affect on heating the windsield.

But, this is all actually about something called "vapor pressure". In order to quickly remove the condensed mosture from the surface we must find a way, literally, to "boil" it off. The way to do that, other than a handy towel, is to increase the vapor pressure, and that can be done by decreasing the relative humidity of the "surrounding" atmosphere.

There are two ways to do that, and one of them is much more readily available, and adaptable, to this circumstance. Remember how much WASTE heat is generated by an automotive engine?

The warmer a mass of air becomes, the greater is its ability to "hold" moisture. So an easy way to decrease the relative humidity of an air mass is to raise its temperature, provided of course, that additional mositure isn't added in the process of heating the air mass.

The second way is to first cool the air mass, hopefully to a level at which it reaches 100% relative humidity and the moisture then begins to condense out of the air(and onto the A/C evaporator vanes specially contructed to promote that very action).

But as this air leaves the evaporator it may have been cooled to just within a fraction of its dewpoint (this is actually a most likely circumstance if the incoming airflow is below about 45-50F)so the second part of this process is to now reheat this airflow by passing it through the heater core, all of it, for most automotive HVAC manufacturers.

Now if we have done all of this properly we have an air mass that has very little moisture content thus an atmosphere that when exposed to the surface of the windshield will create a very high vapor pressure, literally "boiling" the mist from that surface.

The fact that this air is warm or even hot is really secondary to the primary issue at hand, quickly removing the mist from the windshield surface.

But now that the windshield's insulating layer, mist, has been removed it will be a great help in keeping the mist from reforming if we heat the windshield surface itself, and keep it heated, so it no can longer drive the air mass flowing over it down to its dewpoint.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    You've got way too much time on your hands. :-)
    I drive my wife to work every day, pass the day browsing the internet, and then drive her back home at night, and I get to sleep with the BOSS!

No, seriously, things that I don't understand BUG the hell out of me, and I have reached a point in my life wherein I have the time to dig in and learn about anything and everything that intrigues me. So I have spent some little time in the past ten years or so studying up on this particular subject.
    Why would anyone ride around with the climate control off? Just adjust the temperature if its too warm or cold. I've been in the LS cars since 95 and never went a day without the climate control on. Co-incidentally I never had any windows fog up. I am amazed though at people on the highway going 70+ mph that have their windows open. Some of them are in high-end lux cars. Nice waste of gas mileage in these aerodynamic cars never mind the noise and loss of stereo sound.
    You had me worried about you again. You've got to check in once a week. I'm in car 2+ months longer than you and the experience keeps getting better - so no excuses - you've been forwarned. By the way I love the cars look now. But here's a gripe and I promise this one is better than the window fogging one. When you adjust your memory controls from one setting to another - say after your wife drove the car - and the mirrors have automatically folded in (from the previous time the engine was shutdown)they don't fold back out when you hit the memory setting for yourself and the mirror makes twisting sounds. I find myself reaching in turning the key on without starting up the car (so the mirrors unfold -- usually this is in my garage)
    and then hitting the new memory setting for myself. Maybe I missed the way around this in the book. You could simply keep the mirrors from folding in but I like having them do that particularly for those times when I park outside. Anyone find a way around this or can enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong?
    who pray tell suggested THAT?

On the other hand I have encountered quite a few lexus owners who have learned from personal experience that the easiest way to keep the windshield and windows from fogging over is to lower the rear windows.
    wwest - I thought I picked it up somewhere in all those posts.

flint350 - I missed that terrorist comment - thanks for noting it. It's hysterical and made me think of the Seinfeld episode with the neo-[non-permissible content removed]'s in the limousine. You know that it's desperation time when you have to go to those limits to discuss a car's handling. By the way in such a case I'd rather have the reliable car anyway. Second choice - a Ferrari but it would probably break down and the terrorist wouldn't want to get stuck with the repair bills. Did he happen to say what the terrorist was driving?? To you of course its all irrelevant - you would just fly a plane and skip right over the terrorists like in the ending of Casablanca -- "round up the usual suspects". Thanks for the laugh on that one!
    "things that I don't understand BUG the hell out of me"

The older I get, the less I realize I know and the more I accept my limitations. If everything I don't understand bugged me I'd be one cranky guy! I hope you're not totally serious about what you said.
    You know that old saying "its amazing how really smart parents become after their kids reach 40"?

Both our kids are rapidly approaching that point.

No, I guess I need to correct myself slightly, many things do bug me, but at my age I don't let very many of them really BUG me. The other thing is.... I am amazed at how quickly one can locate answers on the internet!
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Here's my "bugs me" question on the LS.
    I have the ML option. I originally discovered that copies of audio CDs wouldn't play. After much discussion on this board (several messages in the 860's) we determined that the CD player will accept CDs copied onto gold colored CD-R media, but not blue. I've never had a problem with any home, auto or computer CD reader accepting one type of blank but not another. I know that two different frequency lasers are used to read original CDs and recorded CDs, but I'm not aware of any further distinction between CD-R's.
    Anyone have an answer?
  • atomchaseratomchaser Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

We are considering purchase of a 1996 LS400 (65K miles) from my in-laws. How is reliablity on his car? Is there anything in particular to look out for? They are offering to sell it to us for $21K.
    Thanks.
    Many home audio CD players can't play blue CDs either. Computer CD-ROM drives though are generally more tolerant.
  • romanarcromanarc Member Posts: 2
    How are the new LS430's holding up so far? How is the reliability, quality, rattles, squeaks, etc.?

I have a 1999 LS400 that I absolutely love. I'm not looking to get a 2001 LS430, but I may be looking to replace my 1999 LS400 with a 2002 or possibly 2003. After over 2 years of ownership, I have had absolutely no problems, it hasn't been back to the dealership once other than for routine maintanance.

I had the chance to test drive a 2001 LS430 recently at my Lexus dealer. I was very impressed with it(except for the styling). I drove a LS430 equipped with 16" tires and it definately rides & handles better and the steering is much better also. Features I'm truly impressed with. Even though they didn't have one with the Ultra Luxury package that i could drive, I did get to sit in one that was sold, the Mark Levinson stereo is beyond awesome! And the Active Cruise seems like it would be nice to have.

Only thing I didn't like was the exterior styling. I definately like the way the 7-series, the S-class and my current LS400's looks better. But the looks of the LS430 would not make me not buy one. The interior is overall more important, the Ls430 has the best interior compared to the S-class and 7-series. The current S-class probably has the worst interior of any car north of the $60,000 price plateau.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    I spoke with Lexus today and indeed they are building the Custom Luxury Model. It will have the Nav/Lev, Laser Cruise Control, Adaptive suspension, Laminated side window, Parking assist.
    Price is $8,820 over Base Price.
    Build time 4-6 Months.

They are re designing the Voice Activated Phone and the LS430 is already prewired for its use.

I visited the NY Car Show and the level of staff that Lexus had was informationally poor and they were coupled with very aloof dealer representatives. This was not a first class experience.. think Kia rather then Lexus. The only other cars that created a buzz was the new Infinity Q45 and the new Jaguar X. series.
    Hi - I am PR Director for Edmunds.com and often am approached by journalists looking to talk with consumers for various automotive stories. Currently, I'm helping a major newspaper find consumers who are experiencing "gadget backlash." Did you buy a vehicle filled with exciting techno-gadgets, and wish you didn't? Have you given up trying to play a CD, set the ambient temperature or use the navigation system because the controls are just too complicated? Did you drive off the lot in your new vehicle without getting a full explanation of all the toys, figuring "how hard could it be?" and are now realizing it's more confusing than you could have imagined? What experiences have you had with the Mercedes joystick and the Volvo radio, both of which feature a lot of functionality but seem less intuitive than traditional controls?
    This story will touch on the following trends:

-the gadgets in high-end vehicles from the Lexus LS 430 and Volvo S80 to Porsches and beyond

-drivers in their 40s-60s buying sports cars

-driver distraction

If you have anything to add, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your experience to Talk to the Press and/or to jfallon@edmunds.com, including your current vehicle, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. (Your identity will be protected at your request.)

Thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to share your story!

Regards,

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

jfallon@edmunds.com
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    First, I think you can reasonably expect continued wonderful reliability. I am not aware of any reports of problems thru these boards at least and not in my own car either. (The phone was/is a design problem that is supposedly being worked on though). The only reliability issue I can remotely suggest is that the car is a 90% remake - that COULD lead to some new problems from the old version, but I seriously doubt it.
    As for styling and features: to each his own on styling (I like mine) and its priority in the purchase decision. The features are, without doubt or question, outstanding and represent a very good value when compared to similar products (such as MBenz S Class and Bimmer 7's). The decision you most likely face is Ultra vs. Custom versions. Ultra adds a bunch of back seat stuff that you might not want/need or appreciate (such as massaging seats, cooler box (a personal disappointment), memory and reclining seats and rear a/c and air purifier. Custom may take longer to get, but is about $4K cheaper. I got my Ultra bcz I was early on the wait list and didn't want to wait any longer. NOt bcz of the rear seat stuff. But, I love it all and have actually used the rear seat stuff now and then. Overall, (sorry for the length), I am ecstatic with my purchase (though I paid list price) and can only highly recommend the car. It would be difficult to make a mistake, unless the styling really bothers you. My two cents.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    barry5: Are you saying that when they get the phone situation fixed we will be able to retrofit the system into our cars?

atomchaser: Can't comment on the price, but the car is spectacular and will be a joy to drive. Very few common problems, but you might ask if the LCD display has already been replaced (they bleed over time and run ~$500), and whether there have been any problems with the a/c system (compressors etc.; very expensive)

PR Director: I tested the LS430 w/all the bells and whistles, and ended up buying essentially a base car (with the ML) precisely because the addition of the nav system meant that everything was run through the touch screen. While I understand the Lexus version to be far superior to the MB COMAND, the plain fact is that using a touch screen necessarily means a decrease in ergonomic functionality and, to my mind, safety (I can feel for a button, but have to look at the screen). I understand that in some cars (Volvo?) the nav system is entirely independent of the HVAC, stereo and other electronic features; had that been true with the Lexus, I would probably have bought the nav.

romanarc: I too think the 7 is a better looking car from the outside, but the interior is MUCH les comfortable, the ride is MUCH less comfortable and noisier, and the functionality and reliability are not really in the same class. Also, I think a number of us on this board are starting to appreciate the exterior looks of the LS more and more; it grows on you. Bottom line, though, is that I sold my 90 LS with 125k miles, and the thing was nearly bullet-proof. The LS, in my estimation, is the safest, most reliable, most comfortable, most thoughtfully designed, most reasonably priced car in this class by a wide margin. After some reflection, I realized that if I bought the 7, it would have been so that others could admire the looks of the car I was driving; seemed a pretty silly reason to pay that kind of premium.
    I had the 98 LS400 and also loved it and thought it was a great car and wondered how it could possibly be improved upon also. But the new LS430 blows that car away. Much tighter suspension and better road feel but with an improved ride - seemingly an impossible task to me - but they achieved it. As for the looks nealm1 is right on -at some point the looks grab you and don't let go. Initially I thought the S was a better looking car but I've changed my mind. That car is looking more and more like a Taurus to me - though of course more elegant abd stylish - but look at the shapes closely. They resemble each other. The S interior is disappointing for a car that is so expensive and the interior is important to me because that's where you live. The LS430's interior can't be beat and only the Audi A-8 is reasonably close as far as I'm concerned. BMW - lots of problems. Friends of mine can't wait to get rid of theirs (these are 7 series owners) because of the high maintenance and many breakdowns though they also say it is a wonderful driving experience when it works. In NJ you can pick up a $68k 740 at a lease price that is not much more than a $61k LS430 (I mean a few bucks $10-20 a month if that)these days. They must be discounting heavily in advance of the new model. I've long tired of the 7's style as it looks like a box to me.

I never had a problem with either a 95 or the 98 LS400 and have gotten used to a perfect reliability record. I'm sure a change to the German cars will likely result in a significant drop in that category for you. Good luck whatever you do.

Nealm1 - With the audio controls on the steering wheel I almost never use the touch screen features. In fact I forget it is there. Even if you want to jump to a new cd you just hold the selection button on the steering wheel down for a longer time than you would if you wanted the next selection in the current cd.

Mirrors - anyone have any solution to my earlier post. This is really my only gripe about the car and I realize its a minor one.
    Have you folks had a chance to drop by your Lexus LS Owners Club yet? What do you think?

You can subscribe to the whole folder if you'd like so that you don't miss anything. Also, there will always be a link to that folder at the top of this page.

Check it out and let Karen know what you'd like to see there.

Pat
    Host
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    Do you find yourself changing stations and titles inadvertently? I seem to nick the controls making a turn at least a couple of times a week. Suppose that after a while I will get used to it or train myself not to do it, but it seems to me that -- given how well thought out everything else is in the car (have you noticed the little fabric bits between the seats and the console to keep change and french fries from being lost under the seat?) -- Lexus would have figured out how to avoid this problem. But I suppose the niggling nature of the complaint simply underscores how spectacular the car really is. Was having so much fun w/the sunroof open and the ML cranked the other day I was a little late getting home. And from the volume of the music, I am sure my neighbors clearly think I have entered my second adolesence.
    Yes I do sometimes nick the selection button and all of a sudden I'm on a different station. No problem when it comes to music as you just switch right back - but at first it was always happening to me in the middle of a traffic report when they were about to report what I most wanted to hear. My reaction was like someone in adolescence. But it hasn't happened to me now in a long time so I guess I trained myself. The ML radio is awesome. I thought the Nakamichi was the best I ever heard but the ML is better. I wonder how good that 300 watt Bose is on the new Q? But this car is awesome and the Ml sound of CD's is as good as my home theatre system - maybe better. Great to live in this cars interior. Drive it well.
  • romanarcromanarc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info flint350, nealm1, ljflx,

Yeah, I really do find my 1999 LS400 quite fantastic. I owned a Mercedes 420SEL before(87' model), and this the LS400 is much better for less money. My 420SEL cost $60,000 back then, I got my LS400 for alot less. I also like the new LS430 alot, the differences between my 99 and the 2001 are noticeable, everything from higher feature content, more room, to improved ride & handling is immediately noticeable.

BTW, saw a silver Lexus SC430 today parked in a parking lot near my office complex. There were about 5 or 6 people just gathered around it looking at it. on my way back from lunch I drove around the SC430. I like what Lexus has done with the SC430. Looks really sharp from every angle.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I find the touch screen much better than standard controls. i don't take my eye off the road, and the ergonomics make MB look downright archaic. This was my first touch screen, but they organize it so that frequent things go so well, you don't need the screen to adjust the temp. the MB command is so poor you need a passenger to do it. not my opinion, my friends that has a ML55 with command. everything is so intuitive. it's the best on the planet.
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    I currently own a '94LS400 and must fess up that I have been shopping around for a 2 year old 740i. I think more and more that I would be making a mistake. The LS400 has never given me one single problem, not the slightest glitch or problem of any sort. I have been lusting after the 740i for all the wrong reasons. The 740 is indeed a beautiful, stylish, beast of a car, but I do hear nightmare stories about 740i dashboards lit up like Christmas Trees - "check engine", "check brakes", "check coolant", starter motor failure, and so on...with visits to the dealer costing 2 or 3 thousand bucks. These cars are electrical nightmares and it is just too bad, because if BMW could just make a 740i with the reliability of a Lexus, I would make the switch.
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    nealm1 - I assume you got that 90 LS400 for under $40k. 10 years - just normal maintenance and 125k miles -- what a deal.

dave203 - I'm sure I can get one of my buddies to sell you their 740's. They are just about 2 years old. Actually one guy has a 30 month lease and is probably going to the LS430 around Sept. He's hoping they come out with a v-12. The other guy owns his and is afraid its going to get badly de-valued when the new model (which looks like a beauty to me) comes out. Both guys love the cars but the reliability has been pitiful. Be careful.
    Post 984 tries to put the LS in the same category as the MB C or BMW 3? Then says these are not luxury cars? Someone really has their head stuck on backwards. I would hope that a journalist writing an article on luxury automobiles would know enough about his subject not to make that gross an error. And then Edmunds doesn't know enough to correct him and puts this post on the board. Doesn't make the company look too good.
    It doesn't say that any of those vehicles are or are not luxury cars at all. Nor does it put anything in the same category as anything else, in my opinion.

The way I read it is that the reporter has some specific issues in mind to write about and is just looking for folks who can speak to what he or she is looking for.

Those are just my thoughts - feel free to give your feedback to Edmunds.com's PR director, Jeannine Fallon, at jfallon@edmunds.com.

I'm just the messenger! :-)

Pat
    Host
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    It says....."anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy"

Sounds like Jeannine needs to test drive an LS430 to see for herself...and it is "LS" 430, Jeannine...not "L". I would be very careful responding to a newspaper journalist (Chicago Tribune?) that might possibly put the LS in the same class as the C and 3 series. Someone needs to do some research.

Just keeping you on your toes and defending the best auto on the planet.

Rolloman
    Houston
    Either the reporter meant the entry level Lexus, I assume an ES300 or the reporter is lost in space. The Benz and BMW models cars are not comparable in price, size, engine displacement, features or quality to an LS430. It's an insult to the Lexus and an embarassment to the other two models. There are only four cars in the LS430 competitive space that fit such a request (per your own luxury board that seems to have died since we Lexus guys left) and all of us on this board who can afford any of the four have concluded that they are inferior.

I'm surprised you let this one get by you.
  • morpheismorpheis Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks:

I bought a Black/Black Nav/Lev 430 in February after I couldn't find the same in an Ultra. (I don't understand Lexus' lack of flexibility.) Anyway, one of the features I most wanted was the integrated Nav/Lexus Link/integrated phone option.

At the time I took delivery, my dealer informed me that the Sprint PCS phone was discontinued because of problems and that a re-tool was in the immediate future. I continue to check with my dealer (Lexus of Sacramento). Unfortunately, they have no information on an upgrade or solution for existing owners.

This puzzles and frustrates me about an otherwise perfect car. Yesterday, I was riding in my business partners' new Mercedes AMG 55 and his integrated navigation/phone system seemed to work just fine. I just read the new Infiniti Q45 review that said their system worked fine. All of these systems are based on GM's OnStar platform, so what gives? The Lexus website is useless and gives no information updates of any detail.

Does anyone know what options are available or on the horizon for existing owner? One of the major conveniences I was looking forward to with the car was hands free phone use.

Thanks,

Morpheis@aol.com
  • dmattgamdmattgam Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

The brochure from Lexus advertises that the Navigation/Mark Levinson package includes 11-speakers and 240W of power. I went to several Lexus dealers and noticed that the sticker on the car says that the Mark Levinson includes 7 speakers. It does not say anything about 240W or power ? Does anyone know what's the story with this Mark Levinson stereo ? THanks.

Dave.
    After all, I hear it is already having major problems. Recall in Japan, hood problems, ergonomics,etc. Maybe when they went looking for all that Lexus-beating horsepower, they forgot the quality. Oops, there I go, using the "quality" word- that always seems to upset the competition. And I agree with ljflx, the hosts/Edmunds should have much more carefully reviewed the "major newspaper" request for value and relevance before forwarding it as it is. I, for one, would have no interest in participating in what appears to be pre-biased and inaccurate.
    On the other hand, I just enjoy finding new little things in my LS that I never knew about before. It still happens after nearly 3 months with the car. I won't admit just how long it was before I found the little sun shade above the rear view mirror, or that the pax seat has lumbar adjust. And nearly every day the Nav system shows me something new. But, I must admit, that damn phone issue is a sore spot for me too. It is mind boggling to think they screwed it up so badly in the first place and then, can't seem to solve it or keep us informed as to any progress.
    I appreciate your comments, but if you want them to be heard, please do as I suggested here: pat Apr 21, 2001 7:01am and email Edmunds PR director.

I was asked to relay a message and I did so. I thought she meant "LS 430" but perhaps she did not. I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, you are just saying them to the wrong person in the wrong place. :-)

Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    I took your suggestion and emailed Jeannine. I requested that she visit this board and check out the reaction to her post. I also know you didn't program this site, but I'm having a problem with the go to message # function and I want to know if it's just me or if everyone else has this problem. For example goto #980 takes me to 948. This is about the third "problem" I've had with the board. The other two were the failure to add "Lexus" to the global dictionary and the lack of an LS430 on the pull down list for Lexus vehicles when providing information for my profile (I had to select LS400). Who minds the store in these areas?
    Have you noticed the small cloth bolster on the seat yet? It fills the gap between the seat cushion and the center console so that small items won't fall through and be lost. My other favorite "hidden" items are the storage trays under the front seats and the lighted seat belt recepticles.

One (and maybe the only) "bell and whistle" the MB S-class had that Lexus didn't was a ring around the speedometer that was partially illuminated to the point that showed the speed setting of the cruise control. I thought that was a good idea. Of course the LS had about two dozen other things that the MB didn't.
    Thanks - I have also emailed our Community Manager and asked her to look at the comments here.

I can explain the "Go To" function for you. The post numbers you see in the discussion are actually "relative" post numbers. The post you addressed to me is #994 right now, which means 994 posts exist in this discussion through that one. If a post prior to #994 gets deleted since you posted that one, your post will become #993.

However, if you put your mouse cursor on the "994" and look at the display at the bottom of your browser, you will see a link that ends with "/1025" - that means that your post #994 is actually the 1,025th post that has been made in this discussion. That is the "actual" post number.

The "Go To" function uses "actual" post numbers, not "relative" numbers. Why use the actual numbers instead of the relative numbers? I have no idea! :-)

I have made earlier requests for "Lexus" to be added to the global dictionary and I will do so again. (You do realize that you can add it to your own dictionary? I agree, though, it shouldn't be necessary.) Also, on Friday I asked for "LS 430" to be added to the dropdown choice in the profile.

All of this said, the best place for this kind of conversation is in the New Software! Your Questions Answered discussion over on our News & Views Board, but I am happy to help in any way that I can.

I hope this does help.

Pat
    Host
    Thanks, but yes, the cushion separator is one I DID find early on - and you can guess why (clumsy me). The speedo/cruise indicator on the Benz is a nice touch, but I am happy with the digital readout on the multi display that we have. I would have liked tire press. indicators, but I guess that is next year's "upgrade" feature. After all, they have to change something. I'm still learning all the voice commands on the nav, like calling up a previous destination by number, since the touch screen won't take new destinations while underway (a philosophy I can certainly understand in our litigious society!). And my wife, who likes the car but doesn't REALLY understand where our $68K went, loves the seat heaters and the quiet. She never realized how quiet it is until she heard jingling the other day and realized it was the lineup of quarters in the coin box slightly shifting from leaning left to leaning right during a turn. She's beginning to understand.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    My LS430 came with the 16" wheels & Yokohama 390 tires in the 225/60/16 size. Cannot locate any info (even on the Yoko site) on these tires. They have a wear rating of 160 so I assume that they are "summer" tires. Plan to run this setup until winter & then relace with 17" aftermarket wheels & tires. Will probably go to a 5 spoke design to give the car a more sporty look. My personal opion is that the regular 16" wheel is rather generic & is does not help the rest of a good design.

Am I the only one with with this idea as I have not seen this subject on this board? I am a convert from MB & did this to my previous E class with a much improved appearence.

Would appreciate any input on this subject including thoughts on both 17" wheels & tires.

By the way just completed a 300 mi. freeway trip @ 70mph average & got 28mpg. Only 1300 mi on the car. Unbelievable!
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Forgot to mention on previous notice that I am well familiar with Tirerack & Discount Tire sites. Am looking for additional sources as well as specific recommendations. Thanks.
    They have to add holders for your cd's too. They also rattle and can be heard because the car is so quiet. With e-z pass I don't encounter the change problem. Can you imagine someone on that lux board we abandoned said the car WASN'T quiet.
    I think this and my mirror thing - do you notice it given your wife drives the car - are the type of problems you complain about with a Lexus.

By the way if your wife is in search of the cash -go to dow jones or hoovers on-line call up TM and locate Toyota's Balance Sheet and you'll find most of it in there Cash line along with, I'm sure by now about $15 bln. more.

I would have liked that tire pressure indicator and I do like Infiniti's camera and run flat tires (BMW has them also). These will be nice add-ons for next year I'm sure. They have to put that camera in the SUV's as it is almost impossible to see behind you when you back out of a parking space.

Finally some summer weather here.
    Any prizes for having the thousandt post?
    Edmunds.com's Town Hall is most pleased to inform you that for the extraordinary feat of making the 1000th post in this discussion, you are hereby awarded one year's free membership.

;->

Pat
    Host
    I upgraded my 92 from 15 to 16 (Tirerack, BBS RS's) but other than "performance" didn't pay much attention, BIG mistake. I got rid of the extremely road noisy pirellis quickly and went to Turanza's. Been happy even since.

Same thing on my 2000 GS300, except BBS RX's.