Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• falcon56falcon56 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 S60 2.4T and I have experienced the same problems and had the dealer do the same software upgrades. The first time they did the upgrade it seemed to smooth out the problem but then it came back. So when it happened again I took it in and they said that took out the Neutral function which was causing the problem (another software fix). The only other thing would be with the transmission, I had a bad seal or something that they had to fix so have them look at the transmission.
    Very easy...when you open your trunk there is a turn knob to open and expose the entire light harness. The harness is clipped into fixture so you will have to squeeze the clips and just pull out the harness and switch out the bulb. The bulbs don't just pull out you have to turn it in a clockwise fashion and then it will release. Just do the opposite to put the new bulb in.
    I have about 13 months left on my 2001 S60 2.4T before the warranty runs out...how much does a VIP warranty cost?
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Thanks for the scoop on the taillight cluster - I have mislaid my manual.

As to the warranty it has also to be purchased before the earlier of 50,000 miles are up or four years*. The cost is about $2700. I purchased a cheaper warranty (with a deductible) from Warranty Direct as I had a lease. If you have a lease there is a Catch 22 situation with Volvo - on the one hand I had to purchase the Volvo Warranty before the start of the last month* of the lease - on the other hand Volvo wouldnt tell me what the purchase price would be until DURING the last month......They turned down my bid price but I ended up buying the car at lease end but had to go elsewhere for a warranty. .
    I am afraid that upon opening the trunk I can see nothing, no "turn knob" no nothing!. :sick:
  • lurkerlurker Member Posts: 9
    Yes, the incentive is likely to be renewed. You should be able to get at least the carsdirect price, but most dealers will agree to $300 over invoice less the incentive, which is almost $2000 under invoice, and no doc fees.
  • pauldefpauldef Member Posts: 1
    I've had a T5 for about 4 months now, and have been using premium as recommended, but since gas is over $3 a gallon here in Northern California, I'm wondering the same thing!
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I've owned an S60 T5 since Oct 2004; and have used regular unleaded gasoline in it regularly. I haven't noticed any discernible difference vs. premium. I can't speak to the long-term effects as I only have 24,000 miles on it.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    the cars computer will detune the engine with the regular gas. You will get lower performance and gas mileage.
    "the cars computer will detune the engine with the regular gas. You will get lower performance and gas mileage."
    IF the cars computer does "detune" the engine then when the correct gas is used wouldn't the computer adjust the tuning accordingly?.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The car is "detuning" beacuse the wrong gas is bwing used.
    W the correct gas, the cars original state of tune will be restored.
    Actually, I was mistaken... . I drive a 2004 S60 2.5T - not a T5
    (why ANY manufacturer would name the same model with such close designations is beyond me).
  • carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering looking at an AWD S60 for my wife. We used to have a XC70 several years ago which she still mourns because of the wonderful seats. We live in CT and have some snow issues to contend with, plus have 2 kids (4 months and 4 years). She doesn't want another XC (felt it was too big to do the city driving, but was comfortable on the longer hauls), but saw the S60 and we wondered how well it would do ferrying the kids around town (infant seat + booster seat and room in the trunk for a stroller...). The AWD makes her feel safer, but knowing we'd be in the premium fuel world again, I'm wondering what kind of mileage people are actually getting in their S60s (considering the Katrina-fuel price spike, it's hard to ignore). Any input would be great on MPG or rear seat space for kids. Thanks!
  • wthdcawthdca Member Posts: 1
    The owners manual didn't say anything about detuning.(new term to me) Volvo says the following:

Fuel requirements
    Octane rating
    Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gasoline with an AKI octane rating of 91 or above. AKI (ANTI KNOCK INDEX) is an average of the Research Octane Number, RON, and the Motor Octane Number, MON. (RON + MON/2). The minimum octane requirement is AKI 87 (RON 91).

I've been running regular and seems to run fine. No detuning as of yet.
    It is, you just haven't noticed.
    "Optimum(best) performance w/ octane of 91 or above.
    Anything less and the car is detuned.
    If you are just commuting, its no big deal.
    Spirited driving, big deal.
  • love2skilove2ski Member Posts: 6
    I had a 2005 base model S60 2.4 no turbo and used regular unleaded 87 octane in it over the week I had it rented. I drove 454.6 miles on 17.002 gallons of fuel for a calculated 26.74 mpg. This is the average over city and highway miles. On the highway the digital read out would say I got 33-36 mpg at 60 MPH and 30 - 33 at 70 MPH. 50 MPH was around 38 mpg avg and 80 was around 26 mpg.

I would say this is pretty good gas mileage for this car. I would expect a turbo to use more fuel, but maybe I am wrong ...
  • jjrusselljjrussell Member Posts: 2
    Twice in the past two months my engine has simply shut off, as if the key was removed, while I was in the middle of making a low speed (20 MPH) turn.

I lost power steering and power brakes but was able to control the vehicle until I could put it in park and re start the engine. No engine light remains lit so when I called the dealership they state that unless they can repeat the problem they won't be able to trouble-shoot.

Any suggestions?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    no solution for you, but a suggestion ... can't you restart in neutral? Maybe not, but give it a shot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jjrusselljjrussell Member Posts: 2
    If anyone is interested. I took it in to the dealership and they found that there was excessive carbon build-up in the throttle. Unfortunately, you have to remove the entire throttle assembly in order to clean it. We'll see if this was what was causing the problem.
  • blumeblume Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 S60. The lightest anomaly in the road can set off a sound like loose plastic rattling against the frame, a kind of Brrrp. It's annoying and makes me feel like I'm driving a Yugo. The Volvo dealership said it was the ABS/STC system kicking in: The pump is in the left front and is supposed to be triggered when one of the wheels experiences less traction than the other. This makes some sense (especially to the dealership). But I don't hear it in any other car with a similar ABS set-up, even when I travel on a road where the Volvo would continually Brrrp. Plus, when I turn off the STC, the sound doesn't go away. And the sound occurs only when the left wheels of the car go over slightly rough patches--if it's a pump for both wheels, then why don't I hear the sound when the right alone hits a patch? Anyway, the dealership is oddly uncooperative, saying "that's just how it is." One mechanic did tell me that sometimes the ABS sensor is set at too high a sensitivity. When I bring it in next, I'm going to ask them to check it out. Anyway, I never think of my Vovlo as a piece of plastic, but sometimes it feels that way.

Does anyone have any insights about the problem? Could the sound be something else? Do I have a loose something knocking against something else? Thanks.
    I own a 2004 Volvo S60 - have had it for nearly 2 years. I'm not sure I'll be any help, other than to say I haven't had the problem. The sound is quiet and the car is smooth. I have some issues with it -but nothing like you have.
    This is s suspension problem probably: the car has been driven on lousy roads or hit a pothole. I had a similar rattle on a 2001 after about 45,000 - took it to the dealer and they installed new struts front nad rear, under warranty. No problem now.....
  • notzoronotzoro Member Posts: 2
    With ~$4500 incentives still to be had on the dwindling inventory of 05's, can anyone tell me if the 3yr/36 free maintenaces program is the deal-clincher over getting an 06 where I could order exactly what I want color/option wise. Dealers are telling me the free maintenance program won't be offerred after 05 so I'd like to know what additional maintenace cost must be laid out if I went with an 06.- thanks
    If you went and did the services at the dealer the value is between $1000-1500 depending on the car.
  • mlpvtmlpvt Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious just how much gas you had in your tank at the time the problem occurred. Do you have any idea?. The reason I ask is that I have a 2005 XC70 (10 months old/4700 miles) and I experienced a very similar problem twice a few months ago and it turned out to be (1) faulty fuel pump but was also exacerbated by (2) low fuel in the tank (3) the design of the saddle (auxiliary) fuel tank that Volvo employs.

In both cases, I was traveling at a relatively slow speed, 30mph and decelerating for a traffic light. The first time I had approximately six gallons of gas in the tank, and was decelerating to stop for a traffic light. The second time I had approximately three gallons of gas in the tank and the "low fuel warning" light was just starting to flicker. In both cases, and without any warning, I had no steering and no power breaks while the car was still moving. In both cases, the "Check Engine Light" came on and remained on until the following morning, approximately sixteen hours after the event. In both cases, the light went off within a few minutes of starting the car.

When I explained the situation to the service person at the dealership (Al Martin Volvo in in Shelburne, Vermont) they had never experienced a case such as this but they were reasonably certain that the fuel pump was the culprit.

Apparently what was happening is this: for whatever reason, Volvo employs a "auxiliary" fuel tank, sometimes referred to as a saddle tank. When the main tank is empty it should seamlessly switch over to the auxiliary tank without the driver even being aware of it. In my case, what was happening was when the main tank was empty it would not switch to the auxiliary tank and I would theoretically "run out of gas".

The service manager suggested that I avoid ever letting my fuel level get to the point where the low fuel warning light would come on thereby reducing the possibility of this happening again. Instead, for my next three tanks of gas, I drove the car until it had approximately one gallon of gas left in the tank, thereby proving their diagnosis of a faulty fuel pump.

Given Volvo's reputation and after spending $50,000 for this car I'm not quite sure what to think. I'm surely beginning to question Volvo's "reliability" as well as safety.

In both of those cases, less than two minutes before the car stalled, I had been driving at 70mph in the passing lane in bumper-to-bumper rush-hour traffic on the interstate. Had either of these events occurred while I was on the interstate, I (my car) would have been the cause of a multi-car pile up and who knows how many deaths and/or injuries would have occurred.
  • cgadanskycgadansky Member Posts: 3
    About to purchase a 01' S60 T5. Has anyone else had/not had problems with using regular gas? I know some said that they had not, but wondering if I could do permanent damage to the engine with regular unleaded? Or, can I get buy with just filling it up with premium every 1000 miles or so? Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

By the way, lug nuts are rusted like hell. Any suggetions for reliable Volvo parts dealer online? Thanks again.
    you should be ok with regular, the car's computer will detune the engine to run on regular. However, why would you buy a t5 and run it with the engine detuned? How much are you really saving? The performance and the gas milage will suffer.
    very true, and actually, just filled it up with premium tonight. yeah, it costs about 20 more bucks or so, but willing to do that in exchange for performance.
  • expertbiexpertbi Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

I am planning to purchase a S60 2.5T this week and was wondering if folks could respond to the following:

1. Does Volvo sell an extended warranty (beyond the 48/50 which comes with the car) AND is it worth buying it AND how much will it cost
    2. Any comments on the std HU-650 stereo...I have heard it not good
    3. Buying experience in New Jersey

Thanks
    Yes Volvo does offer an extended warantee. If you're going to keep the car I'd get one, Volvo's are very expensive to fix.
    The hu-650 isn't as good as the 8xx, but its pretty good if you go into the hiddle equalizer and set the radio up.
    I leased a s80 from red bank in 2003. I found Volvo's to be a pleasant experience compared to a dodge or mercury.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I have a 1998 Volvo S-70 (non Turbo), it has been a great car, but when it does need maintenance, it is expensive even though I have used a very good and reputable independent shop since the warranty expired (cars has almost 97K). And I use almost exclusively premium fuel- for my driving (now about 15K-18K per year), the extra 20 cents a gallon is a small cost to get the better performance and peace of mind that the recommended fuel gives me (about $200/year- big deal!).

But I am thinking of getting a new car now, and I am a little concerned about the future of Volvo. They have been laying off workers in Sweden and other places, and since Ford owns Volvo and are having their own bigtime problems these days, I fear that in a few years, Volvo may go away or just be a badge changed Ford- think my fears are justified? Same thing going on with Saab which is owned by GM. I am thinking that maybe an Acura TL or Honda Accord EX might be a better choice. What do you think? I like to keep my cars about 7 years. The Volvo S-60 looks like a good car, the engine is not that changed from my S-70 2.4L, and I have no need for the turbo (I get enough speeding tickets without a turbo!)
    Have no fear about Volvo's future.

ALL of the new product that is coming is 100% Volvo designed and built.

In any company
    you can find 1500 people that aren't essential to an operation. AFAIK none of the actual bolt turners are being cut.

BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.
    besides what volvomax said, why would their future even concern you when it comes to buying a car now? Heck, in my mind, that just means you SHOULD buy now because it may not be there for you to buy in the future.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No, I would not like to buy a brand that is going away. I would think that (and I have no proof, just a perception), that the resale value of something going away would drop and it would be hard to sell after the 5-7 years that I normally keep a car. Also, wouldn't it be harder to get parts for brands that are no longer being made?

I have a friend that was in a collision with his Olds Intrigue- the car was in the shop almost 6 weeks awaiting parts. Maybe that's why I want to buy a car that is very popular.

But my Volvo S-70 has been a great car- love the engineering, the seat comfort, the handling- would hate to see Volvo fade, but it sounds like it really will not.
    I don't believe that Volvo would be going away. It been increasing sales every year and its one of the few Ford companies that's actually making money.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    Am confused. :confuse: How did your fill up with premium cost an extra $20? Maybe it was a typo and you meant $2.00. Here in Houston, and I believe most elsewhere, there's a 10 cent spread between grades. Therefore, going from midgrade to premium, assuming a 20 gallon fillup, would cost $2.00 more. From regular to premium would be about $4.00. These figures are on the high side since one usually fills up before the tank is really empty.
    No confusion, you're right. Typo. Overall maybe 2-4 bucks more. Sorry about that. Thank goodness for the grammar police.
  • kahs60kahs60 Member Posts: 6
    I'd like to know how you like your Volvo!? I just purchsed one through the military program and it is being delivered in Dec. I'd like to know how you like your stereo also. I did buy the HU-850 just because I listen to music all the time however, I did like the 650 too.
    BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.

Does that mean my used S60 (2001) will be worth more or less when I come to sell it? :confuse:

PS. The reason why I bought the non turbo was that when it came to re-sale there would be one less thing for anyone to worry about!
    well, as much as I love my volvo, resale is horrible, so i don't think not selling them here anymore will change that very much.

As far as parts ... are you talking about them folding completely or just not selling here in the states anymore? If just the states, then parts will obviously still be available.

Heck, Alfa hasn't been here in the states for over a decade, but I'm still able to get parts from resalers. Same thing back when I had my AMC-made Jeep. AMC was bought out by Chrysler and the CJ7 was long dead and buried, but resalers and aftermarket manufacturers kept me swimming in all the parts I needed.

I can understand your concern on something obscure, like, say, a Merkur, but something with as big of a following as Volvo I just don't see having a problem (and, of course, that is IF they were to fold, which, again, I don't see happening).

Well, Urban legends aside, the turbo isn't a maintenance issue.

The S60 turbos simply sell better than the non turbos do.
    I guess that Volvo wants to position the S-60 as a reasonable cut above the S-40, is that why it's Turbo only now? Not that I have anything against a turbo equipped car, it's just that 99% of my driving is either in city traffic where it's not needed or highway cruising, where's it's also not needed. And my non-turbo 1998 S-70 is rated at 0-60 in just about 9.0 seconds- not bad. I bought a Volvo for it's safety, features, and quality of build- not for incredible acceleration. Maybe I was in the minority or not their targeted market. Plus I also have the attitude that a turbo adds a measure of complexity to an engine that I don't need. Maybe I should consider the S-40 as my next Volvo? But somehow I don't like the styling as much as the S-60 and it seems a little small.
  • expertbiexpertbi Member Posts: 23
    I have'nt purchased as yet....I am stuck between an Acura TL and the S60. I thought the S60 would win based on safety features however the TL has all the same features.

So I face a difficult decision in the next 24hrs as I want to purchase in the next few days.
    Between the TL and 2.5T? As much as I like volvo, I gotta go with the TL in that comparison. Resale alone makes the decision easy for me. HOWEVER, if it were between the TL and S60R.... that's a whole different story. Resale be damned, 300 hp AWD and adjustable suspension wins the day for me. :)

What is complex about a spinning impeller?
    There is a world of difference in city driving between a non turbo S60 and a turbo one.
    Alot more passing power w/ the turbo. The 2.4T was designed w/ low speed power in mind. Full boost occurs @ 1800 rpm.
  • montanaxj1montanaxj1 Member Posts: 2
    A friend of mine just bought a 2001 S60. This vehicle has a few minor problems,strut pads, motor mount, etc. I'd like to save her some money by doing the repairs myself. What I'm looking for is a volvo tech discussion forum for tips and any tricks for a shadetree mechanic. Any sites or businesses with good deals on parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your responses and time. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We have a lot of knowledgeable folks hanging out in lots of helpful discussions on our Maintenance & Repair board - you should check it out!
    I looked at the Acura and frankly it doesnt compare with an S60. Do you really think Ross Perot or Bill Gates would drive an Acura? :):)
    Some one on this thread wrote" I bought a Volvo for it's safety, features, and quality of build- not for incredible acceleration. Maybe I was in the minority or not their targeted market. Plus I also have the attitude that a turbo adds a measure of complexity to an engine that I don't need. "

Thats why I think there will always be buyers for my S60 (non-T), especially with the extended warranty I have! And there appears to be little difference in resale prices when you get to a 6 or 7 year old Volvo.
  • montanaxj1montanaxj1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much. This is just what Iwas looking for.