Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S60

Comments

• Options
    expertbiexpertbi Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

Volvo claims that the AWD S60 gives 20/28 MPG for city/hwy....can anyone vouch for that? what has been your experience? Does the AWD have any problems?
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I drive an S60R AWD. No problems at all.

I average @23mpg combined.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I looked at the Acura and frankly it doesnt compare with an S60. Do you really think Ross Perot or Bill Gates would drive an Acura?

When Ross Perot was campaigning for President, he drove an old Oldsmobile 98. Ross wasn't interested in cars.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    If I am correct this model year will be the last for the current S60 generation right?

When would you expect the new generation here in America?
  • Options
    The current S60 will continue for the 2007 model year.
    The S60R will be dropped after the 2006 model year.
    The new S60 won't be here until the 2008 model year.
  • Options
    dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I'd take a Volvo over an Acura any day - but if we're going for prestige - neither holds a candle to MB or BMW.
  • Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    The point about Bill Gates and his Volvo is that it isnt about prestige, its about practicality and safety.
  • Options
    cavolvoscavolvos Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with stalling and hesitation when I slow down. The dealer did the same BS attempt to download new software and then attempted to get me to commit to cleaning my fuel injectors. My father was a mechanic for most of my life so I know something about cars. I asked if they had checked the fuel line, fuel filter and other parts of the fuel system and they stated that I needed to bring the vehicle back in for those items. I have no faith that they know how to proceed or that they are trying to hose me for more money. Its my wife's car and she has lost faith in Volvo. This is the third that we have owned. Did you get your issue resolved with the hesitation? If so, what caused it? Thank you.
  • Options
    love2skilove2ski Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone! First post here, so I hope you can help me out. I am in need of a vehicle, mine is about ready to kick it (94 Dodge Spirit with 185k miles on it).

I will be driving around 35000 miles per year and am looking for something that gets good gas mileage and will not require maintenance work over and above the regularly recommended stuff and will last long enough to get my money's worth out of it or else hold it's value well enough that I can sell it after a good deal of miles and still have something to show. I absolutely love the S60, drove the 2.4 (non-T) version for a week as a rental and got 27 mpg mixed. I would say the back seat room is lacking for adults, but that is not a huge concern for me as I don't have kids yet.

I am looking for advice from others who drive as many miles as I will and what they have done for vehicles in the past. I am thinking of buying used, something at around the 40-50000 mile mark, maybe off lease or rentals. New price is just too much $$$ and I feel I would lose too much in depreciation from new. I like the
    Volvo for it's looks and how it holds it's value in higher mileage. The Accord for its high mileage potential and fuel economy but not for it's looks. Jetta TDI is a thought but there are alot of conflicting posts on high maintenance costs and reliability issues with the diesel so I think I will stay away for now. BMW would be sweet, but too pricey for me starting out. From what I can see the Accord will go 200k+ miles, but I like the look of the S60 so much better, and I have been told that the Volvo will stay the course along with the Accord. That line from tip to tail is just heavenly!

Cruiser27: How is your T5 working out for you after a few more months ? I am also in SE Michigan.

Any advice you or others can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there are other areas in other forums where I can find info please help me find them.

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    love2skilove2ski Member Posts: 6
    How long can I reasonable expect to keep driving an S60 ? Providing I keep up the regular mainenance the sales girl said it would make 500,000 km (300,000 miles) easy! I find this really hard to beleive and am looking for some real world experience from actual owners.
  • Options
    huronguy92huronguy92 Member Posts: 1
    MPG in my 05 S60 AWD has been a pretty solid 20, sometimes as high as 22 and as low as 19 depending on my driving. On the Highway, I actually average closer to 31 and that is driving at 75-80 MPH.
  • Options
    expertbiexpertbi Member Posts: 23
    Folks,

The other discussion board on prices paid is very slim...there are only 10 posts there. This board is more frequented...hence this post. Is it true that:
    - Volvo has a $5000 cash back on S60 2.5T both FWD and AWD
    - You can also negotiate up to a couple of thousand more thru the dealer
    - thus bringing the price of a S60 2.5T (FWD) to about $27,000 and for an AWD to about $30000? with the following features:
    - Climate pkg
    - premium package
    - Sirius satellite radio
    - Dynamic stability
    - xenon headlights

Please let me know if I am delusional or let me know the price you paid.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    The answer to the question depends on the type of driving.......if you are doing 36,000 a year the guess is that its mostly highway mileage in which case the car will last many years longer than if it had done all its mileage along your local Post Road.....
  • Options
    kasperghostkasperghost Member Posts: 72
    I get about 25 mixed with a '05 t5. I don't rip on it too often, but I know where the redline is at.
  • Options
    lysalysa Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the S602.5T under $30k (before tax & lic & the extended warranty we bought), w/premium package, climate package & sport package. It can be done...u should take my husband with you...lol!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Around this time last year, I had a dealer offer me a salesperson's demo 2.5T loaded up with under 5k miles for $25k. They can definitely be had cheap.

Did you buy an '05 or '06, lysa?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    volvobillvolvobill Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2004 S60R and am having the same problems at 40,000 km with surging and hesitation usually starting at lower speeds and rpm. is it the etm or fuel pump? .I read the etm on earlier models had design flaw.Engine light comes on but only intrmittently. Any ideas or comments. this is potentally dangerous! ETM =electronic throttle module
  • Options
    This problem happened once before (three years ago) and it was not possible to replicate it at the dealers. Now we have a recurrance (out of manufacturers warranty now of course).

The remote only opens the front doors - the rear doors, the trunk and the GAS DOOR wont open and the GAS GUAGE reads ZER0 even though there is half a tank of gas in there. Further when a rear door was unlocked from the inside of the car the alarm went off. The major problem is that the car is undriveable really as it cannot be refueled.

Whats going on here? :lemon:
  • Options
    rona123rona123 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all, I hope I'm posting in the right area and that someone can help. I need to replace the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) on my 2001 S60 T5, and understand that it's a relatively easy, though delicate, replacement, however I can't find any data on where the sensors are located on my vehicle. I'm doing this repair so I can sell the vehicle, so I don't want to spring for a repair manual, and can't find one to look at anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find this information on line, or does anyone know where the sensor pack is located? Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Options
    The MAF is located just up from the air filter box.
    There are no online manuals, save for Vadis discs and those you have to buy.
    You also may need some software to install or clear any codes, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I am told by the dealer that these multiple problems (including but not limited to no access to the fuel tank + the guage reading zero) are all controlled by the Rear Modulator......$650+ plus labor.....

Now Volvo fixed this under manufacturer warranty within the last year (not 3 yrs ago as I erroneously posted before) - am I supposed to pay for this when it should have been fixed by Volvo....isnt there some kind of manufacturer repair guarantee at least for some preiod of time? How can a new component fail in less than a year!
  • Options
    If that particular item was fixed less than 1 yr ago, it should be covered.
  • Options
    rona123rona123 Member Posts: 8
    Max, thanks for the info. When you say "just up from the air filter box," do you mean closer to the driver? That's where the fuse box is. Are the sensors located with the fuses?

Thanks again
  • Options
    kahs60kahs60 Member Posts: 6
    I went online to edmunds.com to review the 2006 S60. I just purchased one through the military program and now I am really concerned. The lady that gave a review stated that the ride was bad at 5-60 miles an hour. That the car was loud. And the turning/handling capabilites were very poor. SO...what's a girl to do? Anyone out there with some good practical advice? I'm military and on a strict budget. I hope that I made the right decision. Also, I upgraded to the 6 CD 850 stereo system with surround sound. Does anyone have any feedback on that?
    Best regards! ;)
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'm following. You purchased the car? Do you like it? If so, why does it matter what anyone else says about it? And, in regards to the reviewer you speak of, I have to wonder why that person bought the car if they are not happy with it. Its possible they didn't buy the car at all and are either A.) giving a bad review just to hear themselves talk (or, in this case, see themselves type) or B.) only test drove the car and decided to write a review on that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Yes, I did purchase it. I bought it through a military sales program that Volvo offers. I test drove the S60 in Hawaii...only in the city. Not a lot of highway to test drive here. I did the purchase program through the Hawaii dealership and it will be delivered to Texas in Jan of 2006. SO even though I purchased it, I don't have ownership until I get back to the mainland in Jan. I'm just concerned about making the right decision. I am trying to get some feedback.
  • Options
    Would some one please take a minute and read my two post 2518 and 2520 and give me some feedback. Thanks so much...in advance! :blush:
  • Options
    Well, I sell them so I don't know how objective this is going to be.
    Different people view different cars in different ways.
    If the reviewer in questions favorite ride is a Buick then a Volvo will seem too stiff.
    The turning radius isn't any different from any other FWD car. You simply can't turn the wheels as sharply as you can on a RWD car.

Lastly, you should NEVER EVER make a buying decision based on someones subjective review of a car. Unless it is your own review. :)
  • Options
    Max, thanks for the info. When you say "just up from the air filter box," do you mean closer to the driver? That's where the fuse box is. Are the sensors located with the fuses?

No, I meant upstream from the air filter. Follow the flow of air from the nose thru the filter and then into the intake manifold.
    Best bet is to bite the bullet and let a technician do the work.
  • Options
    What about the stereo upgrade? Do you think it's worth the extra $1220.00 bucks?
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    We have a S60 2.5T with the 17" wheels and we love it! Yes, the turning radius is not as sharp as others but we got used to it. The ride is excellent. The car is not noisy.
  • Options
    THANK YOU! Did you get the stereo upgrade?
  • Options
    No we did not. The standard system is good but not outstanding. I'm sure you'll like yours.
  • Options
    I do. You get an in dash cd changer and the difference in sound quality is quite noticeable.
  • Options
    ilovemyvolvoilovemyvolvo Member Posts: 1
    Came across a cool new Volvo AWD site for Canada, booked a test drive and thought I would share. Looks like they came out with a special edition S60 AWD!

Volvo AWD Canada">link title
  • Options
    rullmanrullman Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to decide if I need to buy a Volvo extended warranty but hate the cost and feeling that I might need one - I've always owned Japanese cars, typically drive my cars 10 years, and have never felt like I needed to buy one. I could use others' advice. I like the car.

I bought a 2002 S60 2.5T AWD last February still under warranty until December 30, 2005 (it now has 41,000 miles). A friend with a fairly new V70 wagon had his transmission blow a few months back while it was still under warranty - Volvo repaired it ($8K I think) and he promptly spent a few more thousand and bought an extended warranty.

Before my warranty expires, do you think I need to spend the money for an extended?

I'm being quoted as follows (months start at time of original purchase in 2002):

VOLVO TOTAL COVERAGE
    $100 Ded 84 month/100K miles $2,500
    $200 Ded 84 month/100K miles $2,251

VOLVO STATED COMPONENT COVERAGE
    $100 Ded 72 month/100K miles $1,974
    $200 Ded 72 month/100K miles $1,760

Thanks.
  • Options
    rullmanrullman Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever figure out what this is? I have the same problem and the dealer cannot hear it when they drive it; nor do they know what it is?
  • Options
    Make sure it's not the plastic clip in the windshield (to hold parking slips) It was rattling on mine and was driving me crazy. Not obvious to find either. The sound seemed to come from the dash but it was this little bugger!
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I would. If you are going to, take the total coverage.
  • Options
    randujarrandujar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 S60 2.5T that I purchased new. I recently noticed that the inner door seals on the drivers side have started to deteriorate. Has anyone come across that problem before? Should I contact Volvo direct or work through the dealer? Please advise.
  • Options
    I bought a 7/100 extended warranty (from Warranty Direct) not because I was so worried that there would be a problem in year 5 or 6 but I anticipate selling the car in the seventh year - I reckon a buyer would pay up for a car that had some remaining coverage. The worry for any buyer of a used car is that the seller is offloading a car which has something wrong with it. The fact that there is even a few months warrranty coverage remaining alieviates that concern (hopefully).
    BTW in your case it would seem that the 7 year with the $100 deductible would be the way to go ($500 discount for the seventh year coverage).
  • Options
    cheleighcheleigh Member Posts: 4
    Hey folks--a week ago I purchased an '02 S60 2.4T AWD--with premium, weather (I was a total geek and would only buy with heated seats). I'm in the SF Bay Area, and this car was hard to find. Added bonus was that it was a one person owner right here in Cali and in cherry condition (and no worries about salt eroding hoses, and from the looks of it, no major issues other than routine stuff). I've been wanting a s60 since early 2001, so it's a real treat to finally get one. I love the car so far--of course, it is a VCPO with the warranty expiring in September 2008, and I bought an additional year's warranty after that, so I feel better about my purchase. :)

But, the real reason I'm writing is because, believe it or not, I've seriously read all 254 pages of this forum this past week (finished about 100 pages today, lounging around my house after slaving away in the kitchen all day yesterday)! I'm a glutton for punishment or severely lonely or something, but I have learned so much--the good, the bad, and the ugly--about my car from these forums, and I wanted to give a special thank you to the following folks who were just warriors in responding to posts: grantchster, volvomax, qbrozen, volvodan, guyf, dmarcus48, lexusguy, lev_berkovich, cmnott, avolvofan...you guys rock!

Now off to find the hidden equalizer on my crappy radio. ;)
  • Options
    Congrat's on your purchase. It's a good car, you won't regret it.

Guy ;)
  • Options
    aw shucks. Thanks.
    ;)

enjoy your car!

• Options
    absolutely go to the dealer. I'm sure they will take care of you. If not, then you can always call volvo direct.

• Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Going to look at a new S60 front wheel drive. Is there any negotiating on these extended waranty's. Any pro and cons?
    don
  • Options
    fiscorleonefiscorleone Member Posts: 1
    I am days away from leasing a new S60 2.5T AWD. The car has metallic paint, premium package, and climate control. I have been quoted at 1777 down and 406 a month for 12000 miles over 36 months down in New Jersey. I recently went to a dealer in CT who quoted me 2270 down and 475 a month. The dealer in Jersey was supposed to be giving me the best price. He said that the costco price and incentives come out to less then the x plan price. Does this sound like a good deal in New Jersey or what?

Thanks
  • Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    i'd check a dealer in red bank. i got my 03 s80 for 1100 down and 393 per month for 39 month 12m per year. this was 3 years ago. that sounds a little high. of course it depends on incentives available. check them out.
  • Options
    dmarcus is right, it depends on incentives at the time.

Is this for an '06 or '05? '06s don't seem to have incentives right now. Seeing as how Volvo has typically put heavy incentives on the S60 the last couple of years, I don't think I would buy right now since the car could very well be significantly cheaper down the road a bit.

I don't have too much experience with Red Bank Volvo, but have had very good experiences with Volvo of Princeton and BAD experiences with Garden State Volvo (although they did offer me a great deal on a demo car once ... it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time).

• Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    a further note on dealers, i don't service my car at red bank its just too far from home, i just bought the car there. i service the car at edison volvo, which is the same owner as bridgewater and princeton volvo. edison service dept. is great, they weren't open when i got my car. we'll see what happens in july when my lease is up.