Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    In terms of peace of mind, the certified car is the way to go. They can however cost quite a bit more than a private party or non Volvo dealer car.
    Avg cost to certify a used Volvo, including the warranty is @ $3000. Plus, the dealer wants a profit.
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Unless your bottom-feeding I'd look for a 3-year old lease return as it's likely been babied and will have approx. 36,000 miles on it, then consider an extended warranty. We did this with a Honda Civic where the extended warranty paid for itself within 2-years and is transferable to the next owner when we sell it -- a great selling point.

As far as things to look for I can't make any recommendations as all-is-well with our 2002 at 57,000 miles.
  • confused7confused7 Member Posts: 25
    If you buy from a dealer, like I did, do the usual: go at the end of the month. At the end of the day. And be prepared to walk out when he laughs at your offer. I did. I got a call 15 minutes later as I was heading home. I demanded it be certified for the price I offered, and it was. He needed to make his quota, I guess. (Sorry to lay this out here, Volvomax... it is what happened at my dealer...)

Before all that, though, do test drive the hell out of it, and don't ignore the niggling things. Like I said, it's very solid feeling... there's rather a cockpit feel about it which you will need to like. (At least in my sporty T5)

Good luck.
  • voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    That's fine advice, Confused7.
    I was also wondering if dealers sometimes allow buyers to accompany them to auctions where they can cherry-pick from newly off-lease cars. Volvomax?
  • bornracerbornracer Member Posts: 11
    Hello all,

I was looking at consumer guide to see what car I want to buy and narrowed it down to 3. S60R, TL-S, G35s.

They are all about the same price and similar warranties.

One thing that stood out is 3yr/36K mi included maintenance on Volvos.

Is this true?

If so, why did the Volvo dealer not tell me?
    WHy does Volvo sell 3yr, 4yr, 5yr, 6yr and 7yr pre-paid maintenance packages?

Has anyone bought one of these and if so, have you haggled the price down?

Please help clarify

Bornracer
    Well, your offer must have been better for the dealer than you think.
    Contrary to popular belief there are no such things as "quotas", esp for used cars.
    The desk, not the salesperson determines the price of the car. No desk manager worth his salt would lose money just to get a salesperson to a higher number, or himself for that matter.
    Obviously, the deal was good for you and the dealer and that is what matters in the end.
    Free sched maintenance went away after the 05 model year.
    The first service is free on 06+ cars.
    Volvo currently sells pre-paid maintenance, but it isn't that great a deal.
    the auction houses don't allow any non dealer personnel.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Any new word on when the next gen S60 will be coming down the track? I just drove the new S80 3.2 and found it to be a huge improvement. If the S60 shows as much improvement, I'd strongly consider it.
    the new S60 will be MY2009 at the earliest.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Thanks for the update. The S80 is really a nice vehicle, hope Volvo does as well on their other upcoming models.
  • poeti18poeti18 Member Posts: 10
    Just wondering what lifespan (miles) I can expect from my 04 S60 R, assuming I keep up with the service schedule and most miles ( 60%+) are on a highway ( so far total of 40K since 9/2003)
    I once heard, that turbos won't last as long.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Nothing that I have seen leads me to assume that the S60 will have a shorter life span than any other Volvo, currently @ 18 yrs.
    Obviously, the better you maintain the car the longer it will live.
    The turbo should last the life of the engine.
  • rhart1rhart1 Member Posts: 1
    I know I have seen this info on here before, but now I can't find it. When I turn my car into a parking space or any other sharp turn my front "wheels" or something makes a horrible grating noise. I am taking it in to the dealer, but I would like to know beforehand what it possibly is. Thanks for any help.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    steering stops need to be greased.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ldexterldexter Member Posts: 3
    I just experienced this problem on my 2001 S60 with 76K miles.
    It's a bushing on the lower control arm that's going bad.
    The dealer will charge $760 to replace all 4 at once. (It's only a $25 part). Then they recommend alignment.

I also have had the steering fluid reservoir replaced twice due to a badly designed part. (At dealer's expense) I saw some other complaints about this on another forum. I know there was a service bulletin about the reservoir, but no recall.

If others have this problem, we should contact Volvo and the NHTSA to get a recall going.
    control arm bushings should give you noise going over bumps. the poster just describes a noise when making slow, sharp turns. are you sure you had the same symptoms?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'm so sorry, I was confused about which problem was causing the noise at turning on my car. I mentioned this to hubby, & he reminded me the turning noise was due to the steering fluid leak. It did stop as soon as the reservoir was replaced and refilled. This is a known issue with this volvo -

Now I have another issue. While the mechanic was fixing the control arm bushings today, he looked around and found a small leak at the power steering rack. After scanning some other forums briefly today, now I'm wondering if this leak has in any way been caused by the lack of power steering fluid in the system. anyone know?

How long can I drive with the PS rack leaking? :(
    i'm not sure why low power steering fluid would actually cause a leak.

So the reservoir was replaced? How long ago? Maybe a fitting was not tightened properly or even cross-threaded.

You can drive forever with a PS leak. Just keep adding fluid. Its just not environmentally friendly or convenient, however.

The PS reservoir was replaced a year ago, then again just this week for the same problem. The part is badly designed. I know there was a service bulletin about it.
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Over the last couple of weeks, I have consistently been getting a rat-a-tat-tat kind of sound from somewhere under the hood (I'm thinking it has something to do with the turbo, but am really not sure). Lasts about 5 seconds, then goes away. Seems to coincide with colder weather, as it's been colder here over the last couple weeks and it's more noticeable in the morning than at other times (though it will happen pretty reliably if the car has been sitting outside for several hours).

Any ideas? The dealer's service shop (with which I have to date been quite happy) said it couldn't duplicate the noise.
  • cj7375cj7375 Member Posts: 15
    I know most will laugh at me, however we (with my wife) are still debating that question.

Bottom line: brand new Civic LX is the same price as the 2004 S60 2.5 T (at 30,000 to 40,000 miles on the clock).

We've driven both of them. Yes, they are in different categories - we know that.

Honda is nice and brand new, but it is Honda Civic - small and very firms seats and ride.

Volvo offers smooth and comfy ride, lots of power. Higher class, definitely.

Since we are commited to spend the money, we are looking ahead for maintenance, repairs etc.

Reliability and dependability. Edmunds shows "True Cost to own" for the Civic is less than the S60.

I still like the Volvo 2004 better.

Hard to decide.

Opinions will be appreciated.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    My advise would be to get the S60 and an extended warranty. Yes, the Civic is cheaper, but it is cheaper in every aspect of its ownership, including the joy and satisfaction.

You will get much more of everyday satisfaction with Volvo.
    You answered your own question:

I still like the Volvo 2004 better.

If you don't get what you like, you will always regret it.

• voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    It's not a bad question. I've wanted an S60 since 2001, but could never pull the trigger because of the same issues that concern you (I've only had Hondas or Acuras).

But getting back to your question, I think it comes down to what usually wins when you wage a 'heart vs. head' competition. Costs being equal, sounds like you derive more pleasure from the Volvo's driving experience. Of course you do. But if you're anything like me, and put a lot of stock in practical matters such as cost of ownership and reliability, then Honda may provide more ownership pleasure over the long term.

If you don't mind my throwing a monkey wrench into your decision, consider a 2004 Acura TSX. It's in your size and price range, it's a lot of fun to drive, and like all Hondas, the price of ownership is about as low as you can get. Given your criteria, it may be the best of both worlds.
    We took our 2001 S60 AWD in for the "major" 60k service which the dealer said would cost around $400. Major, indeed, $1,500 later we took our car home -- with poorer gas mileage than when we went in with; and with tires balanced such that they hopped around at high speed like drops of water on a hot griddle. (The boys at Costco are evidently much better at this than those at Volvo.)

To me the most acceptable add-on was the need for new front brakes. Many of the other services they suggested/performed-- tranny flush, coolant flush, power-steering flush, etc, -- should have come up at other service points or should have been part of the 60k service with more accurate and realistic pricing. It's called managing expectations, folks.

I went ahead with the suggested services due to the fact that many of them had never been performed though the car is 5 years old and driven in a mountain/snow environment. However, I am very unlikely to return to this particular Denver dealership now that the car is well out of warranty.

Cost to own aside, it remains the best car I've owned to date. Which may or may not be saying much in this lineage: Chevy Nova > Datsun pickup > Plymouth Valiant > Volvo 164 > Jeep Cherokee > Honda Accord > Jeep Grand Cherokee > Volvo S60 > Honda Civic > Toyota Prius.
    i wouldn't go back to that dealer, either. if they can't balance tires, i wouldn't go to them for anything.

flushing 100k mile coolant at 60k? nope.

flushing steering fluid? who does this?! no thanks.

Always follow the owners manual. Not that I blame them, but service departments are out to make money (of course). You have to tell them exactly what to do and when to do it. This goes for all cars from all manufacturers.

• autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I hope that there is a general liking to Volvo's new styling direction as there is a preview of the next s60 online.

I like the front and the rear is ok.

But with Volvo putting the s60 against the C-class, 3series, and A4, where will the S40 go?

-Cj :confuse:
    Works for me, since the S80 redesign has morphed into the S60 but you can't get AWD unless you go for 8 cylinders. That's just stupid. The real question is whither the 5 cylinder low-pressure turbo engine on the new S60? Let's hope it stay, with some improvements. Getting 28-32 with 197 horsepower at altitude is wonderful.
    I have a 2006 S60 T5. Mileage 14,500. The mileage gauge for average consumption has been reading around 19 mpg for the past year (I bought it slightly used - dealer's vehicle - in April 2006). Granted, I do do mostly city (LA) driving, but can't I do better? I.e., is there something wrong with the car? I have tried both 87 and 89 rating gasoline and there seems to be no difference in consumption.

Anyone with thoughts on this?
    That is a photshopped car.

S60 has always been pitted against the C-class 3 Series etc.

S40 is a class below.
    Well, in about a year you will be able to get an S80 3.0 T6
    AWD.
    That is an S80 w/ the new 285hp 3.0l I6 Turbo.

The current 5cyl will go away when the current S60 does.
    The new S60 will be powered by the 3.2L I6 and the 3.0L T6 and maybe a more powerful turbo 6 as well.
    IIRC City mpg for that car is 18-19 mpg.
    So, if you are doing mostly city driving, that is exactly what you should get.
    You may do a little better on the 91 octane fuel, but it mostly boils down to how and where you drive.
    Doesn't the I5 and T5 engines also see use in the Volvo S40/v50? I doubt Volvo will cancel those engines. If anything, I was hoping for the s60 to get fords 3.5lv6 with 265hp.

-Cj :)
    I was hoping for the s60 to get fords 3.5lv6 with 265hp

NO THANKS!

If you want a FWD 3.5 duratec, why not just go buy any of the Milan/Fusion/MKZ triplets?

I, for one, hope Volvo stays Volvo. I'll take the 300hp 2.5 turbo any day of the week!

You are 1 quarter right.

The 3.5l V6 is a Cyclone.

ITs only in the Edge, MKZ, MKX, CX-9

Any I wouldn't buy 1 because they're not Volvo or as safe as volvo.

;)

But on a serious note, I think the S60 should get the 3.5 instead of the 3.2. Why Volvo doesn't use the 3.5l v6 in the XC-90 is beyond me anyways.

If given a turbo, I hope its the 2.4 and 2.5. If volvo gives all the fun Turbos to the S60, what reason will anyone have to buy the s60 if the s40 is nearly the same but at a cheaper price? The s60 is bigger outside but the s40 is bigger inside.

-Cj
    Cyclone is the codename. It is a duratec.

But you are right, it doesn't appear to be as widely used in Ford products as I thought, although I'm not sure why. My guess is that will change very soon.

You may also ask why Land Rover chose the 3.2 I6 from volvo. There is something to be said for an inline configuration. Just ask BMW.

How do you figure that the S60 is bigger outside, but smaller inside, than the S40? Please explain!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB70VOC171A0,USB70VOC121A- 0

Compare the specs - especially interior passenger volume. The S60 has only 2 more cubic feet of interior volume than the S40 and it's exterior dimensions aren't much bigger. Both are classified as compacts.
    The I5 used in the S40 has a different block and dimensions.

Volvo won't use V6 engines in their cars. the I6 is smoother and more space efficent.
    The new 3.0L T6 engine develops 285hp.
    I noticed. I haven't seen much about the new T6 engine. I do know that the 3.2l I6 volvo has in the XC90 and S80 makes 235hp.

I think volvos case is similar to acura's 3 simarly sized sedans that in some way compete with each other. I think volvo can go back in time and make the s60 RWD (not that theres anything wrong with FWD/AWD) for more sportiness and to have something unique about it. A reason to have the s60. The s60 should only have the 236 hp I6 or the 2.4l I5 and the 300+hp R.

Can you tell me more about the T6 engine? Is it the old Twin Turbo once used in the XC90?

-Cj
    New engine. Uses the new SI6 block.
    Single turbo.
    Volvo is committed to FWD/AWD so don't expect a RWD sedan from them.
    The S40 and S60 really are different cars.
    Most people really only like one or the other.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    When is production of the current-generation S60/V70 slated to end? Is there still time for me to order a car if I wished?
    The 2008 MY will be the last for the current S60.

However, we are close to the end of this model year for ordering an 07.
    Also consider going CPO. The S60 has been on sale since 2001 and you could easily find a 2005 T5 for $22k. Just a money saving tip ;) !

BTW, i think that if you wait until the GENEVA show, you may get a sneak peak at the next s60. Then you could choose if you wanted to wait for the new model or not. By then, theres the Model year end savings and a huge drop in the resale of the 2006model and older. Then again, thats what I would do. ;)

-Cj :)
    And 2007 would be the last year for the S60R or any other R that we thought was coming. This may be a bad move with lexus' new High performance lineup on the way. Then again, The R-line doesn't even make as much power as the stock 335i, g35/7, or is350... :sick:

-Cj
    Then again, The R-line doesn't even make as much power as the stock 335i, g35/7, or is350... :sick:

actually, it makes the same hp as the 335 and only 5 lb-ft less torque.

and it only makes 6 hp less than the G, yet has 27 more lb-ft.

and only 6 hp less than the IS350, but 19 lb-ft more. but the IS only comes with an automatic, so its a secretaries car anyway. :b

AND, according to carsdirect, I can get an S60R for $33,426. Ain't no way I'm getting a 335i for that price.

I was quite sad to read about the demise of the R. We were pondering a next-gen V70R. :(
    Now what the heck do we do?

Hey dont be too sad about the R-Line demise. As the Saying goes: "When one door closes, Another door opens" so maybe volvo has something bigger and better planned.

The 2008 s40/V50 look GREAT, like mini s80's. The s60s current position in the lineup is so overlapped IMO. The s40 outshines the s60 and the s80 is a better overall car than the s60 IMO.

I guess RWD is something to make it stand out again but who knows what Volvo may do. I hope the s60 gets something unique to make it standout. More rear room wouldn't hurt also...

What platform is the s60 on? Should it be moved to the one ford uses with the Fusion/Mazda 6? A volvo version of the edge would be cool as it may be able to handle the XC90's v8. It would make a Great XC70 instead of some Higher wagon.

-Cj
    The new S60 is going to be a much more intersteing car.

Volvo had its own platforms, no need for Mazda's.
    Mazda uses a watered down Volvo platform for the Mazda 3 anyway.

The new XC60 is coming in about a year, don't expect the V8 though.
  • jjordan2jjordan2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking of getting a 2001 S60 2.4T and I wanted to ask you a few questions. Are S60s of this year reliable, considering they were the first model year? What are some of the common issues with the S60 that I should look out for? I know that Volvo parts can be very expensive so before I buy it what should I be looking at? I'm in college so I want to make sure I don't get into a car that's gonna be a huge drain. The mileage isn't too bad @ 98000 and it looks to be in really good condition but of course I'll have someone take a look at it just to be sure. Thanks! :)