Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• gm10gm10 Member Posts: 10
    Where did you test drive the manual? I can't seem to find one in LA or MS. I don't want to put down a significant nonrefundable deposit w/o testing one, but I am looking for the stick.
  • dbomzdbomz Member Posts: 4
    new england. there are many here. good luck!
    Anyone have an idea of a fair price for a White T5 w/ 1400 miles? The car also has, geartronic, cas/cd, rear head restraints, and rear cup holders... $33, 897 is the asking price. Dealer's wife owned the car. How much lower can I go?

Thanks
  • linnie49linnie49 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a V70 (and are currently thinking about a 2001 S60) from Joe Kelley at Rahal Volvo in Wexford, PA (just outside ~ north ~ of Pittsburgh). Very, very positive experience ... would recommend them!
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That price seems higher than retail new pricing to me, according to what I saw on Edmunds. Edmunds prices this out (new) at $31,686 (manual trans) with the options you stated. The car's basically new, but licensed, so I'd say 95% of TMV would be fair, which is about $30K. Of course, your neck of the woods might be more expensive than mine. Check what they go for new in your area, and I'd think 95% of that would be decent.

Good luck!

--java
    Thanks for your thougths. I agree, a bit high. The dealer came back with 33 and some change, but I would love to be closer to the 30-31 mark and may have to back down to the 2.4T. 9% LA sales tax is a tough pill to swallow. I don't need much- only leather and manual (which is impossible to find in the south)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com includes the S60 T5 in its just published Entry Level Luxury Sport Sedans Comparison Test. Check it out by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page.

The S60 T5 finished in a very respectable tie for third with the Lexus IS 300 - read the article and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • peterpan2peterpan2 Member Posts: 11
    I realize that this discussion is for the S60, but does anyone know if there is a 2002 S40 due out any time soon. ?
  • jcb123jcb123 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for a little advice on the following possible leasing deal --
    S60, T5 in Cosmos Blue
    Leather seating,Touring Pkg,Power sunroof, Automotic trans, Audio Max, Cold weather pkg, and 17" wheels
    The MSRP, including shipping is $39,225. Residual is lousy 53% and money factor for 3yrs/36,000 is .00124.
    Car was ordered for another customer whose credit fell apart at last minute - so IMHO, I am doing the dealer a favor by taking it off his hands...
    Plan to offer him $37,225 with no CCR. I figure the monthly payments at approx $560 including 6% tax. I am also looking at -0- security deposit. Total cash out of hand would be $560 + acquisition fee of $500 (too High) = $1060.
    Any thoughts /advice would be appreciated.

Co
  • dbomzdbomz Member Posts: 4
    has anyone done this? any luck (good/bad)?
  • hieatthieatt Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone ordered or is going to buy and S60 with this expensive option? A friend tells me I should definitely opt for it, but at $1100 over the Stability and Traction Control I am hesitant. How much value does it add?
  • caruttopcaruttop Member Posts: 5
    I am leaving next week to pick up my S60 T5M at the factory in Gothenberg. I have found the customer service quite good so far - local dealer provided test drives and a special OSD rep to handle all details. Pricing is exceptional and air fare voucher covers entire air fare (my air would have cost $1200+) and, one free nite lodging is included in Gothenberg. My T5 is 5-spd, cloth seats, sunroof, met. paint, 17" wheels/ tires, sport chassis (T5 only), rr electric head rests, and 4x50W amplifier for stereo: price = $31.2k w/o tax&lic. Dealer kicked back a little $
    I'll report on my car after I get it back here in the States - around early-Sept.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Congratulations on your T5 (soon to be).

But I do have a question. You ordered the 4x50 Amp. Do you know, or can you find out, if you are also getting upgraded speakers?

I have a 2.4T with Premium Package. This comes with the 4x25 Amp. I want to upgrade to the 4x50 Amp, but the Volvo parts departments (I have spoken to 4) do not know if I need to upgrade the speakers or not. Any input about your situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Damon
  • schollscholl Member Posts: 13
    I'm seriously considering picking up an S60 but have been a bit disconcerted by reading some of the other Volvo bulletin boards - especially S40 and S80. There seems be be a zillion problems with these cars. What have most of you experienced during your first few months of owning - any problems, big or small? Also, any indication of changes for 2002 (besides AWD) Thanks
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Same here! I have owned Volvos since 1982 (240, 740, 850, S90) and am considering a new car. Volvo's excellent reputation sure seems to have taken a beating the past few years. The S40 and S80 have had numerous problems - far too many for a car that costs that much! I test drove the only Volvo I'd consider (S60) and don't really like the interior console - radio/cassette/stero controls, etc. For $30K+ I expect more. Have been seriously considering an Audi A4 which has gotten rave reviews and offers everything the S60 does and is $3-4K cheaper.
  • schollscholl Member Posts: 13
    The only major gripe I have about the S60 styling is the console - it brings down an otherwise sumptuous interior - although I thought a little more wood trim in the shifter/console area might break-up the monotony of the ebony color scheme - I prefer darker interiors. I'm also considering the new Audi A4 - but haven't researched Audi's reliability.. I'm just not into paying 30-35 grand for a car that ends of in the shop frequently - It especially bothers me when I compare it to my $17,000 accord with 120K and virtually no major problems. Sure these cars are far nicer to drive, more luxurious, more style etc - but are they 12-15 thousand dollars better. I was going to buy a TL (low on style, high on reliability) but the lack of headroom was a turn - off. Shopping/researching a new car is fun but also more difficult than I imagined.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    I own a Y2K A4 2.8, and have not had one problem in almost two years, except for the check engine light coming on, which was nothing, and corrected in five minutes. The car has been extremely reliable for me.

My neighbor owns an S60, which she got this past January, and has had numerous problems with the car. She keeps on saying that she wishes she had stuck with her first choice, the A4, which her boyfriend talked her out of for the S60.

I had thought that maybe I would change car companies next year, but with the advent of the new A4 coming out, I think I'll stick with Audi, although the S60 is really nice.
    My husband and I also own a Y2K 3.2 TL and love it as well. He is 6'3", and has plenty of head room. I guess it just matters whether most of your height is in your legs or your body. He's got it in the legs, so the headroom is not an issue.
  • jmalexander1jmalexander1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my S60 in April and have had no problems. My neighbor bought his Audio A6 in May and has had several major problems (loners for a week, etc.). Every manufacturer has had problems. I am very pleased with the Volvo's performance to date.
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    I have had my S60 2.4T since January and have 14K miles on it already. Only problem was the remote locks which dealer fixed quickly. I do mostly highway driving and the MPG has been excellent, usually between 28-31.

I looked at the A4, and my sister has one and likes it, but it is too tight inside for me. There are also a ton of them on the road around here, and I felt the S60 was different and new.
    Thanks for the input, folks! I feel almost like a traitor looking at something other than a Volvo after all these years.... but the amount of problems seems to have gone up the past few years. Personally, I think being part of Ford (cringe!) has something to do with it. Who knows? Maybe it's because of the interned and the ability for people to compare notes and gripes. I know the A4 is a lot more fun to drive and I think it looks better - inside and outside plus it has a REAL spare. Guess I'm from the "old" Volvo school - I liked the "boxiness", etc; it's what set Volvo apart from others - that plus safety! Now that's not the case, I'm afraid.

Also didn't appreciate the fact that the Volvo people preach "loyalty" and taking care of their customers and then they "low ball" me on a potential trade-in. This after having every Volvo I've owned dealer maintained!

Bow, I haven't seen hardly any S60s or A4s on the road here in San Antonio - except at the dealerships which coincidently are located next door to each other far away from all the other car dealerships.
    Last paragraph should have started with "btw"...by the way.....
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    There is nothing wrong with checking around before making your decision. These are fairly expensive so you should be choosy and make sure that you get the best car for you. This is my first Volvo, and I have been very happy with it so far. I live in New England and see a few others on the road. Not many, but it still is a pretty new model. Good luck!
  • danufdanuf Member Posts: 5
    Godeacs,
    I have had my 2.4T for a month or so and have been very pleased. No problems to date. I also have noticed the lack of A4's and S60's around San Antonio and it pleases me. I have not seen a car like mine yet and consider that a good thing. Make sure to check out Austin if you decide to purchase the Volvo.
    I will try to find out an answer to your question - probably when I get to the factory in 3 days!!
    The T5 comes standard with the rear hatshelf speakers, and I have seen no mention of upgraded speakers - I believe the speakers may be from a Danish company.
    Thanks so much. I will be very interested in your answer.

Damon
  • kelly54kelly54 Member Posts: 7
    Took delivery today on my '01 S60 2.4T..awesome car..I will keep you updated as I drive it (always when the birds are not flying)..got the 5.9% Volvo 60 month financing..pretty good deal, esp 'cause my regular bank couldn't touch it...Metallic paint..Cold weather/STC..Premium, Touring, geartronic, 17" Tethys wheels..sorry, got to go..something in my garage is calling me...
  • jcb123jcb123 Member Posts: 18
    This is a follow-up to a leasing question I posted earlier. Looking at an '01 S60 T-5 with just about everything on it -- metallic paint (Cosmos Blue), leather, touring pkg, sunroof, geartronic, audio max, cold weather pkg, and 17" wheels. MSRP is $39,225 including dest. charge.
    Have talked to salesman and Manager several times - previous visit was money factor of .00104 and residual of 53%. Got phone call last night offering price of $35,846. I am asuming all other terms are the same. Using Edmunds info, I come up with monthly payment of $499 including 6% sales tax in KY. Deal seems really good -- would appreciate any feedback /comments /concerns from other Volvo drivers.
  • drb8drb8 Member Posts: 1
    I just came home with my new S60 2.4 T. It is the 4th Volvo owned by my family. On the way home I realized that I really would like a car with a firmer ride. This one seems to "float". The salesman suggested firmer shocks. Does anyone know whether the T5 shocks can be installed on this car?

So far I haven't been able to get an answer from the Volvo people. All of the customer service hype seem to have been part of the sales technique.

Is it possible to return a car? It hasn't been titled yet.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    You can get some aftermarket shocks and maybe other suspensions modifications from places that specialize in such things.
    Apparently you did not test drive the car very well before signing the papers if you didn't realize you wanted a firmer ride until you were on your way home in the car.
    Generally, you cannot just change your mind and expect the dealer to take the car back once all the papers are signed and submitted. Most of the auto sales contracts have no "cooling off period."
    I own an A4 2.8, but had mentioned previously on this board that when it is time to look for another car (which will be soon), if the new A4 doesn't appeal to me, (looks too much like the A6 which I don't particularly care for), I wanted to get my car ducks in a row so I have an idea of what I wanted.

My neighbor owns an S60, and since the inception of the S80, I have loved the look of Volvo's cars. The only thing that stopped me from the S40 at the time I was looking for cars was it's size. It seemed much smaller to me than the A4, and Volvo's spotty reliability record. Consumer reports didn't help much with it's poor rating on the S80. My neighbor has had a few problems with the S60 so far, owning it only 6 months. I have not had any problems with my A4 in over two years, except the check engine light coming on, which was quickly remedied, so this remains a problem for me and Volvo.

I went with my neighbor to Volvo this past weekend for her to pick up something, and I was very tempted to test drive the S60 and ended up doing so. My impressions compared to the A4 were like this (I am not comparing the AWD, as the S60 will have AWD as an option this fall-so Volvo says!):

1. Great power, but definite turbo lag.

2. Very nice interior, but not enough lumbar support. The A4's seats are slightly harder, but great for long trips. The power lumbar is remarkable. Much better support than the Volvo's.

3. Basically no armrest. A must for me. The A4 has an extremely comfortable driving position, including a real armrest. This would be a deal breaker for me. Really need this to be comfortable in a car.

4. No free maintenance. Every major European manufacturer, including their Swedish competition Saab, now has free maintenance for at least 3 yrs/50,000 miles, some have it for longer (like Audi). In fact, Cadillac and Lincoln have free maintenance as well. The Japanese high end car companies do not though, like Infiniti, Acura and Lexus, but generally Japanese cars are not as costly to maintain or repair as European cars. Volvo needs to get with the program. They need to stay competitive. They are doing great business now, but will lose some, like myself, if they don't have more incentives.

With the advent of AWD on the S60, it will be a viable competitor to the A4 and 3 series. I think if Volvo gets into the free maintenance program, cleans up it's spotty reliability record, and puts on a regular armrest, I might put this at the top of my list, certainly if the new A4 turns out to be a mini A6 as the pictures suggest!

It really was a very nice car. Also, they need to put more wood in the car, especially a wood shifter (I'm sure you can get this aftermarket), and put real wood in the S60. It looks very fake, somewhat like the stuff in our TL, ugh! I really liked the car though. Good luck to all you S60 owners. I might be one of you soon.
  • beagleman1beagleman1 Member Posts: 3
    I just signed up for my new S60 2.4T with premium package and cold weather package. 39 months, 15k per year. Acquisition fee and first months payment up front, for cash out of around $950 (with the security deposit from my S70 thhat I'm returning to be refunded--hopefully--so a real cash out of about $500). Monthly payment is $450 (tax included). Got the carr from a local dealer here in the Detroit area.

During the shopping process I test drove everything out there--Infinitis, Acuras, Nissans, Hondas, Saab,Jeep, Mercedes C230 coupe, Audi, Lexus, BMW and Cadillac (had to drive the Catera just so I could later sneer at it). If you want some sporty performance and are into super comfort, quiet, and luxury (how much do we really drive on the weekends??) the S60 2.4T can't be beat. I test drove one for about 45 minutes this morning before I signed the deal and fell in love with the car all over again. Great stereo, the best cupholders (32 oz. or 44 oz. cups from the Mobil station stand up securely), great seats, great seating position relative to all the stuff you need to access, 4 doors, etc., etc., etc.
  • beagleman1beagleman1 Member Posts: 3
    I just signed up for my new S60 2.4T with premium package and cold weather package. 39 months, 15k per year. Acquisition fee and first months payment up front, for cash out of around $950 (with the security deposit from my S70 thhat I'm returning to be refunded--hopefully--so a real cash out of about $500). Monthly payment is $450 (tax included). Got the car from a local dealer here in the Detroit area.

During the shopping process I test drove everything out there--Infinitis, Acuras, Nissans, Hondas, Saab,Jeep, Mercedes C230 coupe, Audi, Lexus, BMW and Cadillac (had to drive the Catera just so I could later sneer at it). If you want some sporty performance and are into super comfort, quiet, and luxury (how much do we really drive on the weekends??) the S60 2.4T can't be beat. I test drove one for about 45 minutes this morning before I signed the deal and fell in love with the car all over again. Great stereo, the best cupholders (32 oz. or 44 oz. cups from the Mobil station stand up securely), great seats, great seating position relative to all the stuff you need to access, 4 doors, etc., etc., etc.
    A "stereo" post!
  • hieatthieatt Member Posts: 9
    jcb123: That does sound like a good deal, but not too good to be true. I know this might sound like an odd suggestion, but I was also in the market for an S60 similar to the one you are describing and actually came up with a payment right about where you are. Then I just happened to ask about a black V70 T5 (wagon) they had on the lot. The sticker was more: $40,075 with plenty of options (leather, moonroof, 17" wheels/tires, geartronic transmission, built in child booster seats, cold weather/STC package, etc.) - basically everything but audio max, the "security package" and the nav system. Nevertheless, the money factor on the 36 month lease was so low (something like .0003) that he was able to work up a payment of only $457 including tax - almost $50 less than the S60 T5 even though it was higher MSRP! We were in the market for the sedan, but with a deal like that I figured I could use the extra room. One caveat: I am a returning Volvo customer and got an extra $1,000 loyalty discount (which was only $500 on the S60). I say unless you are single, go for the wagon!
    Hey DDELISE:

I have just returned from the factory - and here is what they told me (after a somewhat lengthy search for the proper information) regarding the 200W amp upgrade for S60s - when you order the amp (or have it installed) it is:
    1) located under the front passenger seat.
    2) all of the speakers are upgraded to 75W (vs. 25W on std. stereo) to handle the increased pwr.

The sound of my car's system is great!
    Hey DBOMZ -

I have just returned from Scandanavia on a 10-day trip to pick up my new S60 T5M -- it was a great experience I would STRONGLY recommend!
    Volvo flies you to Gothenberg to pick up the car, ship it back to the States FREE, and even put you up in a Gothenberg hotel for a nite - plus, the prices are much better - I saved approx. $3-5k -- best part is option packages don't really apply - there is a nice list of options available which are priced per each.
    If you have never been to Scandanavia, it is quite cool - very nice people who all speak excellent English, nice scenery, etc.
    The shipping will take approx. 6 weeks (to W. Coast anyway), but otherwise it is the same as if you bought Stateside.
    The only problem I had was the a/c did not work on my trip, so some of the days were a bit warm in the car, with nice sunny days in the 25C range (about 82F).
    GO FOR IT!!
    Thanks for the information.

And you got yourself the best deal in town with that upgrade. If I remember correctly, the factory direct upgrade cost $200.

I priced the 200 Watt Amp upgrade only from the dealer, and you are talking $350 or so. The speakers add an other $400 or so. Total bill then is $750+.

Good for you - bad for me! I am jealous!

Damon
  • senneca01senneca01 Member Posts: 34
    Hello all,

There is a great new road test of the Volvo S60 2.4T at Swedespeed. You can check it out below:

Swedespeed S60 2.4T Road Test
  • lutztlutzt Member Posts: 6
    We are about to place an order for OSD on an S60. We were really leaning toward the 2.4T but Volvo has a special program right now where if you order the T5 they guarantee delivery by Oct. 4 (vs. beginning of November for the 2.4T). They are also giving an extra night in Goteberg and free specialized drivers training. It sounds pretty cool and were anxious to get the car (and not too excited about traveling in the snow come November). However, is the T5 REALLY worth the extra $2400?

We are going out today to test drive both, however I am pretty confident we'd be happy with either vehicle. We are not speed demons and I test drove a base model that I was satisfied with.

TIA for your help!
    Tanya
  • jcordrayjcordray Member Posts: 6
    Could someone explain this process to me? I have heard items here and there that interest me and I would like to know all about it. A link would be helpful as well.
  • mi99amigomi99amigo Member Posts: 1
    I just came back from the local Volvo dealer. They are offering a floor model S60 with only 22 miles, for $299 a month, 12K miles, 48 months and $2,500 cap reduction. The MSRP is slightly over $32K, on the sticker. I am thinking of leasing it but it almost sounds too good to be true.

What do you all think??
  • tkntkn Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I've been checking out the S60R on volvospy.com and the AWD version. One thing I can not figure out is will AWD be offered with every engine or just with certain ones, and if so, which ones? I would love to pick up an S60R or T5 AWD...
  • senneca01senneca01 Member Posts: 34
    Check out this article below for more information:

Volvo S60 2.4T AWD

• bigwil33bigwil33 Member Posts: 1
    How can I acquire a coupon for half off the 10 disc coupon? I read that someone had received this but the individual didn't say where he got it from. Does anyone know where I can get one?
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    Some new spy shots and info on the S60R and V70R have just come out, check them out below at Swedespeed!

Spy Shots, S60R & V70R AWD

• holmgrenholmgren Member Posts: 3
    Well, just letting you all know I love my 2001 S60. Great car with 2700 miles on it already.

I'd highly recommend the Volvo Factory Delivery Program but be aware that they don't offer factory tours in the summer (since most of the factory is idle for workers holiday period) and that the "test track" is more of a small paved road area that really just helps familiarize you with the car, not track test it.

The base engine with the 5-speed is sufficiently peppy and keeps up well on the Autobahn as long as you aren't trying to pull in front of S-class Mercs. The suspension is a little bouncy at high speeds (100+) but I expected as much buying the base S60 with smallish 15inch wheels and not a problem I'd encounter anywhere but here. Great for more sedate cruising though (65-100). The seats, not surprisingly, can't be beat. The HU-613 sound system is plenty good for a stock one, even if those kooky rotary dials are hard to get used to (I'm still mixing up the Source Selection and Preset dials all the time).
    One other little complaint is that the turn radius is horrible, especially for European roads and villages resulting in Austin Powers-like scenes when trying to turn about on a narrow road. Should be ok in America though.
    Best car I've ever bought and people can't believe how little I paid for such a nice car. I'm glad I passed on a Passat or 3-series (which are great cars but, of course, are ubiquitous here in Germany).

Roll On Volvo lovers.

Jake
  • lostwageslostwages Member Posts: 21
    Wow - not much action on this board - hopefully that will change.

I am looking at several cars (I plan to lease) and would like input on the offer Volvo has made:

I am looking at a T5 fully loaded except for the NAV. MSRP is $39,325. Offer is $37,865. $0 cap cost down (only closing fees and 1st payment = $1,648.11. 36 months at 12,000 per year. Monthly payment of $525.11. Or, 48 months at $448.15 per month. These payments are before state tax.

Dealer claims they can't go lower on sale price as they are less than $1,000 over invoice now. Anyone know about any dealer holdbacks or dealer incentives? Is this about as good as I can expect? Current Volvo offer ends on 8/31/01.

Thanks
  • c320buyerc320buyer Member Posts: 17
    Are you owners happy with these cars and or do you have to qualify your hapiness? I am looking at all the cars in and around the price range. Volvo certainly seems it is giving you the most for your buck but I am worried about resale, and reliability. I went for a great test drive in the T5 and it realy handles well. The sales guy let me have at it and it certainly takes corners flat and I really did not notice torque steer from the FWD. What I did notice was when I opened the glove compartment door the whole dash kind of shuttered. I pushed up with the palm of my hand on the top part of the door opening and the whole dash moved up at least 1/2". I thought maybe this was a demo fluke but I tried it on one still in the wrapper and it did the same thing. Am I missing something here? Is this designed into the dash of all the cars like maybe it is rubber mounted in the event of an accident? It really bothered me as you can tell so please explain and or maybe try this with yours if you don't know what I am talking about.
    BTW the dealer is talking $300 over invoice on a new T5 with a sticker of $38125 = my cost of $36268.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Sorry your S90 is falling apart. I have a 1994 940 with 53,000 miles and it is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I haven't traded it in for a new one because it keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.