Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I think Volvo should clip the upper extension of the tail lights.
  • compupsychcompupsych Member Posts: 11
    When I first heard about the Volvo S60 I was real excited. I've been wanting a quality performance car with a manual transmission. Then I saw the pricing...and became quite disappointed. I did a rough comparison between a decked out T5 ($38,225) and a comparably equiped Acura CL-S ($32,000) and the CL-S came in much cheaper. I really would prefer the manual Volvo over an auto CL-S, but I'm certainly not going to pay thousands more for the same features. Very frustrating...
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    Hello all,

The Wheels section of the Canadian Toronto Star newspaper had a preview of the new 2001 Volvo S60 on September 23, 2000. Remember, all the prices are Canadian. For those of you that are interested, here it is:

Canadian Toronto Star Preview of 2001 Volvo S60!

-DrewSRX
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I'd agree with you, but then I realized that would make the back end look even more like my '94 Accord than it already does. Nice car overall, though.
    or the back might even look like that of pre-2001 Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring if the tops of the taillights got clipped.
    Hello all,

This information was just released about the new Volvo S60 PCC (Performance Concept Car):

The Performance Concept car features a full body kit with 19" alloy wheels, leather trim, ribbed aluminum pedals and instrument cluster, six-speed manual transmission and a 300 bhp, 295 lb/ft of toque version of the 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine and electronically managed four-wheel drive (AWD). The FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is also included in the Performance Concept Car. The FOUR-C system uses information gathered from height sensors and accelerometers to determine the position of each wheel and the vehicle body and then use the dampers to maximise tire grip. The system also eliminates pitch due to severe braking as are the effects of harsh acceleration and quick steering wheel movements.

Three chassis modes are offered by the FOUR-C system, these are selected via buttons on the instrument panel: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport modes. The Sport mode is optimised for normal driving, balancing comfort with maximising handling. The Comfort mode optimises the FOUR-C body's isolation from irregularities in the road, and the Advanced Sport mode totally alters the vehicle's character, giving priority to maximum
    handling and road holding. The Performance Concept Car is also fitted with Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), which is disengaged when Advanced Sport mode is selected.

Here are two pictures of the car from Volvo:

-DrewSRX
    is this going to be available in the US? and for how much money?
    Hello all,

This information was just released about the new Volvo S60 PCC (Performance Concept Car):

The Performance Concept car features a full body kit with 19" alloy wheels, leather trim, ribbed aluminum pedals and instrument cluster, six-speed manual transmission and a 300 bhp, 295 lb/ft of torque version of the 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine and electronically managed four-wheel drive (AWD). The FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is also included in the Performance Concept Car. The FOUR-C system uses information gathered from height sensors and accelerometers to determine the position of each wheel and the vehicle body and then use the dampers to maximize tire grip. The system also eliminates pitch due to severe braking as are the effects of harsh acceleration and quick steering wheel movements.

Three chassis modes are offered by the FOUR-C system, these are selected via buttons on the instrument panel: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport modes. The Sport mode is optimized for normal driving, balancing comfort with maximizing handling. The Comfort mode optimizes the FOUR-C body's isolation from irregularities in the road, and the Advanced Sport mode totally alters the vehicle's character, giving priority to maximum handling and road holding. The Performance Concept Car is also fitted with Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), which is disengaged when Advanced Sport mode is selected.

Here are two pictures of the car from Volvo:

-DrewSRX
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    Well, the Volvo is bigger, as you say. It is half-way to the A6.
    It has a 5 cylinder engine as opposed to a 4, and the base engine is not a turbo like the 1.8T one. That has some implications that I'm sure you understand.
    With that said, the A4 is an awesome car, and I would be hard pressed to choose between them.
    The only thing I can say is, reserve judgement until you have sitten in and driven them both. I bet the Volvo will feel quite a bit more spacious inside.
    Pricing is hard to second-guess without knowing their market strategy. I mean, the base Mercedes C-class is a lot more expensive than the A4 too, and that is still a 4 cylinder engine. You can't compete on price if you want to become a status brand.

On another subject, the R looks awesome. Especially the back-end. Those tires really brings out the agressive stance of the car. But what's with those big grates on the front bumper? And what is that gray thing on the back bumper??

• rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #62:

I like this car except for the gray crap as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear or at least be painted the same color as the body. The egg crate lower air dam in front is a mock-up I hope. I can't see this being the final production version since there aren't even fog lights in that area.

Hmmm...is it just me or do those wheels look like they came from a BMW and are missing the center cap?

Does anybody know if the AWD uses a Haldex clutch or a Torsen differential? I read that Volvo had licensed Audi's Quattro system and with 300 hp I imagine it will debut on the S60 T5R?

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    The S60 PCC has a Haldex AWD system, so it would be reasonable to assume that the production version will have one as well. Note that the Continuously controlled chassis system may make it into a performance version of the S60 in the near future. You can read about it in the brief excerpt here.

Enjoy!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The new base C240 is a 2.6 l six cylinder not a 4. It's base price is 29,950. Sunroof, auto, and six disc cd will add approx $3200 to the car. It comes with partial leather, full leather adds another $1200.
    > The new base C240 is a 2.6 l six cylinder not a > 4.

Granted, I had not been keeping up with the MB changes for 2001. But my argument about pricing strategy is still sound. I think Audi will bear this out when they set the pricing for their new A4 next year.

• redirectorredirector Member Posts: 27
    Well, I've ordered an S60 T5 manual, should be available in December, according to the dealer. They said they will not be receiving any T5 sticks in allocation, and the only way to drive one is to order it (with a refundable $500 deposit), so I have one on order. Very nice dealership, by the way. Loaded with everything (upmarket stereo, leather, roof, 17" wheels, touring package, paint, delivery) but the cold weather package, it priced out at just under $38k.

I own an Audi A4 1.8t quattro tiptronic. I am interested to see how this promising new Volvo will match up to a variety of competitors:
    - 2001 BMW 525i manual (have not seen/driven one yet), roughly $41k including a few typical options
    - 2001 BMW 325i manual - fully loaded should be roughly $36k. Might deal a bit on price, too.
    - 2001 BMW 330i manual - sport/premium and a few others, just about $41k. Maybe some price wiggle room.
    - MB C-class -- c240 manual -- roughly $37k loaded
    - MB c320 -- about $43k optioned comparably, but alas, no stick. Like Car and Driver says, they put the 6-speed on the wrong vehicle. I agree. And of course, no negotiation.

For kicks, I drove an S80 to get a sense for the strong hp turbo & the front wheel drive setup. Very fast, lots of torque, but the S80 is so much larger than my Audi (and the S60) its handling felt loose, not well grounded, and not as agile for my tastes, and the torque steer was very evident vs quattro.

I don't expect the S60 to exhibit this driving characteristic, given its size/width and improved rigidity.

I have driven the c240 and c320 (sans sport packages), both handled remarkably well, much better than the previous c-class. Nice, quiet ride, and that 320 v6 is extremely torquey, very quick and responsive. Great engine sounds, too! I was impressed. I really want a manual sports sedan, however, and the c240, while no dog, was certainly not as strong as I wanted. The c320 is also quite a premium vs the 240. I'm sure MB will eventually offer the 320 with a stick, but they'll sell boatloads of these cars just the way they are.

The 525i should be available in early November, and I have had my eye on a 5-series for some time. Until I saw the S60, the 525 was my E1 choice. We shall see how they fare after driving both. If the S60 drives as well as the reports & the volvo brochures say it should, it will be a great value buy and a very nice, distinctive alternative in this price class.

If not, and if price ends up being the final tie-breaker, I will not be heartbroken to select a 325i stick, loaded.

The Lexus i300, to me, says rat-racer. I wonder whether they will be as popular as originally planned. I see several yellow and vivid blue ones sitting at the dealership.

What a great competitive segment!
  • jasonmbenth2jasonmbenth2 Member Posts: 3
    I need to find the Invoice price on the New s60, as I will be buying on Ford's A plan (Cost - 3%) and the dealer had no idea.

Thanks.
  • atomiatomi Member Posts: 2
  • lhn5lhn5 Member Posts: 37
    Would the longevity of a turbo engine be less than a non-turbo? Does it require more maintenance? I am spoiled by my I30 that has gone 175k miles with only $300 of repairs, but since my prior car was a G20--I am looking for a different look/feel. Waiting for the S60 to check out, but leaning towards the IS300.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Volvo S60 is now being featured on their home page. Here's the direct link: First Drive 2001 Volvo S60, by Brent Romans. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    So is he basically saying that it is the best car in its class unless you want the superior handling of the BMW 330i or Lexus IS300?
    This is what he says:

"In terms of equipment and safety, there are only a few entry-level luxury cars that can match up to the S60. But would you want to buy one? That probably depends on what you are looking for. If you have owned Volvo sedans in the past, but you want one that's more like Pace Hot Picante sauce rather than Tostitos Restaurant Style mild salsa, the S60 will be an excellent match for you. It could also be a good pick over an ES 300, a 9-5 Aero or a TL. But if you want your four-door sedan to be Frank's Original Red-Hot sauce or Pico Pica hot sauce, than the BMW 330i or the IS 300 would likely suit you better. Now, where are the tortilla chips?"

I interpret it the same way you did. He says that it is sportier than ES300, 9-5, and TL. But the handling isn't quite as sharp as the BMW 330i and IS 300.

I'm pretty sure Volvo didn't aim to build a car with the exact driving dynamics of a BMW. There already is a BMW and that is enough. They wanted to build an alternative to the 3-series, with most of the handling, but also all the good stuff that Volvo puts in their cars.

And if the T5 isn't sporty enough for you, the S60R is on the horizon.

Btw, anyone see the new A4? That styling will take a while to get used to.

• dave214dave214 Member Posts: 1
    Was quite interested in reading the general comments regarding the new S60. I am ready to trade off the old 240DL on one but have no history with a turbo and haven't heard glowing reports on turbo reliability and cost of maintenance in general. I am NOT seeking glowing opinions on how strong the engines are or how fast a S60 2.4T or T5 will run. What I am interested in are opinions on reliability, i.e., is it as reliable as the engine or will it need replacing in 75K or 100K miles? And from a maintenance standpoint, what aggravation am I purchasing? I live a 7,200 ft. (2,200 meters) and a turbo would probably be nice to have - IF (note the big if) it is reliable. Also, I live hours away from the nearest Volvo dealer. So if buying turbo means buying trouble then perhaps the vanilla 2.4 will be acceptable.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know a lot about engines, but I do know that people who drive Volvo turbos generally are very happy with them. I would log on to volvospy.com or brickboard, you are much more likely to hear from long-time Volvo owners there.

• jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    I have an 850 Turbo which I have owned since it was new with 114K miles on it now. The maintenance costs on it have been higher than what I would consider normal, but not at all because of the turbo. Scheduled maintenance is higher, but only because of more frequent oil changes. Unscheduled problems have been mostly electrical issues. I am not seeing any significant oil consumption at 114K miles.
  • ldgwldgw Member Posts: 4
    Is the pricing that has been mentioned (#50) the MSRP or dealer invoice ?
    I'm shopping for a new car. I'm also consiering the saab base 9-5 or base 9-3. Any comments?
    Suggestions, please, for southern NH.
  • rroncrronc Member Posts: 1
    The Volvo S60 launch website is now fully active.

http://www.revolvolution.com
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    Anything is an improvement for the ugly Volvo but as anyone can see, the new S60 copies the best-selling 1994-97 Honda Accord styling substantially.

At least Ford knew not to follow its other styling disasters, like the Taurus.
    "The previous Honda Accord had this look because it was copied from the Volvo ECC concept car which rolled out almost a decade ago at this point. It's a shame that Honda adapted the style for production ahead of Volvo..." --RDO (Also known as Rollie)
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    Honda did not copy anything from Volvo of all places. Volvo has always been a lagging edge company in styling.

Volvo had 1940's Ford styling well into the 1960's - as well as fins on its faux sportscar! Volvo had old Ford Fairmont styling until its recent adoption of the 1994-97 Accord style.

Any intelligent person who wants a European car with styling must eschew Volvo. Audi, VW and BMW are light years ahead of Volvo's old Honda styling.
    Regarding post #83:

thorn, your opinions aside, the Volvo ECC did indeed debut about a decade ago at the Paris Auto Show if I recall correctly (it was featured in many magazine of the time). If you look at it you will find exactly where the S80 came from in shape and form. It's no secret that the Japanese tend to be very conservative in their designs and prefer to take their lead from European manufacturers for design while focusing their efforts on reliability and quality design. Anybody with eyes will see the rear-end of the previous Accord and the ECC are nearly identical (except that the ECC was larger so its rear end is of course wider).

BTW, conventional wisdom holds that Audi and Chrysler lead the field in styling. All others lag behind but that is changing (witness the uglier next generation Audi A4, the attractive new Volvo S60, the Generation Y appealing Lexus IS300, etc. etc.).

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
    Regarding post #81 & #83:

You know the old saying about opinions? Opinions are like "a...oles", everyone's got one. Volvo obtained its styling from the ECC concept car for the P26 platform, which is fact. The ECC concept design is around 11 years old, far ahead of when the 94'-97' Honda Accord was introduced. Most intelligent car enthusiasts know this, and don't make lowbrow blanket statements. It is sad to see that a great company like Audi came up with something truly unoriginal for the new Audi A4, which is almost a mini A6. The same thing goes for the BMW 5-series and 3-series, nothing spectacular as far as styling is concerned.
    I wrote a long and detailed message about this, but I managed to loose it so this will be short and concise.

AOL members (yes, you can sign up during the promotion) can choose 6 out of 10 of the following options for free (up to a value of $2100):

Metallic paint
    Load bars
    Rear window sun blind
    Parcel shelf speaker upgrade
    Rear mud flaps
    Snow chains
    PC Table
    Rear armrest table
    First aid kit
    10-disc CD Changer.

Thanks to Steve out of Volvospy for this info.

Next is an intro package only available for 2.4:

Leather seating surfaces, power glass sunroof with auto open/close/sun shade/anti-trap feature, power adjustable driver's seat, HU-613 Single CD in-dash stereo cassette, 8 speakers, 4x25 watt amplifer, with dual diversity antenna.
    Price: $1825

Leather normally costs $1200, so that's a good deal right there. However, most people will want the 2.4T or T5.

• joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    S60. One of the dealers in the area had 2xbase and 1 Turbo version. No T5s yet. The car is VERY nice; interior is similar to the S80 and V70, seats are more comfortable than in the S70. Trunk is smaller, spare tire still not full size, nice cup holders up front. The slant (rake) of the windshield will be hard to get used to, and the side pillars do interfere with vision out the sides. But, it does provide a more panoramic view of the road. Back window is small, and with the slant of the back window, width of the B pillars, and placement of the headrests, it is very difficult to see out the back. The trunk lid does not have a ridge along the top rear edge that would give you a point of reference for where the rear of the car is, and help you back up. I had a 1995 Honda Accord, and this is very similar in shape, and seems to be in size and overall feel, although decidedly much more upscale. Fit and finish on all three cars I saw wwas perfect. Have to go back for a test drive. One annoying thing (among some others); the side moldings are black, no matter what the color. The price is right though, especially on the base model with the introductory package. No haggle price is about 30K. Base engine is the same 168hp engine in the S70. Mileage is estimated to be about the same. It is very apparent that this car is shorter than the S70 (about 180" long). I'll have to go back for a test drive soon.
  • benben121benben121 Member Posts: 4
    Wow!!!
    To all of you who are lucky enough to be in the beautiful city of Paris, head over to the Pavillon
    d'Armenonville in the Bois de Boulogne before Tuesday. There are about 7 S60s, a couple of the new
    V70s, and some V40s also. All you have to do is show up, and they'll let you test-drive anything
    you want. (They also have free hors d'oeuvres and drinks...God, I love the French)
    I seriously don't know why this test-drive event isn't advertised at all, because there was nobody
    there. I just learned about it yesterday after I walked into a dealership and asked to test-drive an
    S60.
    Anyway, as for the car, it was everything I could hope for. I only drove the 2.4 because that's the
    only one I'm thinking of buying (but that black T5 was just sitting there calling to me...oh, as for
    colors, cosmic blue and black are definitely the classiest. I was looking for silver, but for some
    reason, the color just doesn't fit the car). In any case, I wasn't dissappointed at all. It has a beautiful
    interior, comfy seats, turns wonderfully, has plenty of power (except at low rpm's, but I'm not that
    picky on performance). It was sooooo quiet too. Now all I have to do is haggle over price, but after
    that test-drive I couldn't think of buying anything else.
    A bientot!
    Notice that the Edmunds listing for the S60 is up...

Competing models: BMW 5-series??

I can see why though, they have almost exactly the same width. The BMW is 8 inches longer, but that is mostly hood and overhang, I would think.

This is probably exactly what Volvo wanted, they have slotted the car in between 3-series and 5-series in terms of size. Now people might think, hey I can get this car that is nearly the size of a 5-series for the price of a 3-series.

Anyone have any input on this little surprise? Will be interesting to see in which comparos the car ends up in, against the 5 or 3-series.

• benben121benben121 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure that I can see why Edmunds would list the S60 as a competitor to the 5-series. Every person that I've heard swaying between the two brands has been asking about the 3-series, and when I went to Volvo, they themselves showed me the specifications of of the 325i, IS 300 and the A4.

I dunno, but just look at it this way...I checked out the Edmunds competitors of the S40, and there were the same 3-series and Audi A4. That one definitely seems like a mismatch.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    It seems like the S80 would be a better comparison to the 5 Series and the other cars Edmunds listed.
  • banker74banker74 Member Posts: 26
    Hi all,
    For the last couple of weeks I've been festering over the upcoming S60 T5. The thing sounds incredible and I've been very excited about getting one through the overseas delivery program at some point in 01 (unfortunately probably later rather than sooner).

However, after giving it some thought, I realized that the C70 coupe that I've also been infatuated with for the past year is all of the sudden looking like a nice option. For around $35K I'm thinking I'll either be able to get a T5 or a nicely furnished C70 (since they seem to come relatively loaded).

I haven't driven either. I'm bummed that the east coasters have had access to the S60 for a short while Santa Ana Volvo (in CA) is still waiting for their "floor model". Maybe some of you could give me your opinions on the comparison. I realize they're different cars (coupe vs. sedan), but I love hearing opinions.

A concern of mine has been the stories about the issues 98 & 99 C70's had. Any thoughts on whether they've been worked out for 01?

I'll be posting this on volvospy.com as well (great site).

Thanks all
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    this afternoon. After driving the car for about 40 minutes, I can say that I think Volvo nailed it this time. Although not perfect, the car is quieter, corners quicker and flatter, and brakes are easily modulated. Stopping distances are short. There is a little turbo lag on takeoff, but after that it can rocket (if you want). The dealership owner had the best description of the car that I've heard; he said it is a 7/8 scale version of the S80. Interior is nice, although a little too much gray plastic, it has REAL cupholders, the aircon vents in the rear are in the pillars, seats are more comfortable, and leather more luxurious than in the current S70 models. There is little wind noise, even at 85 mph, view out the front is better, and rearward view is not all that bad (I thought it would be when I sat in the car in the showroom). The trunk is narrower than the S70, but deeper; you can put a set of golf clubs in lengthwise, and you still have some room left. Wish they would put in a full size spare. There is a little steering wheel hop and chatter over rough roads, but none of the nastiness the S70 displays on the same surfaces. I need to go back in test drive a bae (I don't want, or need, a turbo). They are prepping a metallic green/gray interior base now; metallic prices at 30300, non metallic (they have a white one) at 29900. Same engine as in the current S70, but I understand the suspension may be tuned differently from the turbo; tires on the base model definitely look very high profile (buick like) so hopefully the handling characteristics aren't too much different. Oh, plenty of room in the rear seats, stereo sounds great. It does annoy me that Volvo doesn't color key the moldings on these cars; you can have any color you want, as long as it's black. If Volvo can keep the price where it is, and fix their customer service, and by the way, dealer interactions (they don't treat their dealers any better than they do their end customers) this car will sell very well.
    What is the Euro delivery program for the S60 in terms of discount?
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Well, I stopped by my friendly Volvo dealer today, and lo and behold what is parked out front but a base S60 5-speed. Needless to say, I drove it. It was black, with apparently the only options being leather, sunroof, and cold weather package. It drove absolutely fantastic. Great handling, good pickup, even on the non-turbo, good fit and finish, and a really sweet shifting stick. Too bad the "spaceball" is only available on the T5...
    I only had one real complaint about the car, and that was that the rear visibility, well...let's not mince words here; it sucked. The large headrests, both front and rear, and small mirrors conspired with the monstrous C-pillars to give a view out the back that wasn't so much a "view" as a "hint of what might be behind you." I suggest saying a prayer before merging onto the highway.
    Also, I didn't think trunk openings got any smaller than the one on my '94 Accord coupe; I was wrong. VERY small opening to what is really quite a generous trunk.
    These two nitpickings aside, (well, the visibility is a flaw, not a nitpicking,) it was a really nice car, one that I'd be happy to own. Unfortunately the budget doesn't allow it just yet-- I had originally gone in to look at used 850s or a new S40-- but when the time comes, I'd happily park one in my driveway.
  • volvo602001volvo602001 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone bought a volvo s60 yet? I'm comparing the s40, s60, and s80. Help with buying s60 would be appreciated.
    As far as I know, no one who isn't employed by Volvo has a S60 as of yet. I don't think the dealers are selling any off of the lots right now, the few they've got are all used for test drives. We'll have to make do with reviews and test drive reports until they start selling.
  • snoopdugsnoopdug Member Posts: 3
    I am about to order a T5, and have a few questions in response to the informative posts found on this great site. Any help would be appreciated.

(1) I am very concerned about the comment that the s60's rear vis was very poor. Can anyone else who has test driven the s60 either confirm or deny this?

(2)One post-er noted that the Silver didn't seem to fit the car as well as the black and blue. Ideally, I would get black, but I've heard it is impossible to keep clean. So I was planning on getting Silver, but know I don't know.

Unfortunately, there is a dearth of s60s avail. in my area, so I need to rely on you all to be my eyes and ears. Thanks.
    Regarding post #99:

snoopdug, the rearward visibility out of the S60 is no worse or better than it is in the S80 or V70. If you are used to these cars you will have no problem with the S60. Otherwise you will have to adjust to the headrests. I didn't check this weekend but I would be shocked to learn that there isn't a manual latch you can use to fold the headrests down out of view (like there is on the '01 V70 and S80s without the dash mounted switch).

Regarding colors - black is probably the nicest look especially with the black moulding but it only stays clean for about 30 minutes! 3 of the 4 Volvos we've bought in the past 6 years have been black! I keep saying I'll never buy another car in this color but it just looks so good when it is clean! I tested a car in Venetian Red this past weekend and it looked very nice (in contrast to the plain look of the Ash Gold S60 I saw at the dealership.) I've also seen the T5 in black and it looks great. I suspect the Cosmo Blue (was that the name?) will look very nice base on the pictures I've seen.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • snoopdugsnoopdug Member Posts: 3
    Rollie-

Thanks for your helpful response. I've enjoyed your posts on the Lincoln LS board for awhile now. Do you think I'm making the right move going with the s60 over the LS?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    The S60 I drove today had the power headrest release option (a whopping $65 stand alone). Not sure if they can otherwise be manually folded, but probably they can.

I didn't find the rear visability to be that bad, but certainly not the best I have ever seen. It would help to not have the window sticker! Other than that, I didn't have any trouble seeing out.

Overall, I loved driving this car. The rear head room was a little tight (I'm 6'), but acceptable. Biggest problem was on the sides where the C pillars curve in. Wouldn't be an issue for kids or shorter folks. Decent leg room, but no comparison to the S80, room wise.

Amazingly quiet ride. Very composed, and great seats. Handling seemed fine, but didn't get a chance to really push it. Great pick up on the highway (with the LP Turbo). This car felt better than the C240 I drove recently.

Now all I have to do is find a way to justify the $$ over a late model used car. Probably going to be some good deals on '99 and '00 S70s, or I can go back to looking at Passats.

Unless you need a huge back seat, not much to disappoint with this car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive the S60 yet, next on my list. In what way did the S60 feel better that the C240? I have driven it twice.
    Was it because the S60 you drove was not the base which would have been more equivalent to the C240 powerwise?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    The Volvo just seemed to be quieter and smoother. Of course, it's been a while since I drove the MB, and it was a stick, so I can't directly compare them. Although where I live, the MB and Volvo dealers are right next to each other, so it should be easy.

I also think the Volvo seats felt more comfrotable to me. In my short drive, I was never able to get the MB seats to fit quite right.

All this is completely subjective. Everyone needs to drive whatever they are considering and decide for themselves, but in MHO, the S60 was a very comfortable car. Also had a very nice shifting automatic, and I normally don't like an AT, but this one was better than most.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.