Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Consumer Reports and others often do ratings of baby seats, and while some fare better than others, the bigger problem is improper usage.

I forget the exact statistic, but something like 8 out of 10 child seats are installed improperly.

Child seats shouldn't slide more than an inch when installed, often requiring the parent to literally sit on top of the seat and bare down on it to get the belts tight enough. (The new LATCH belts are supposed to make this easier.) And the harness (5 points is best) should only be lose enough that you can get 2 fingers between it and the baby's chest.

Finally, if it fits there, the center seat position is always the safest location, but the shape of the seats in many cars don't always permit this.

Take advantage of the free inspections often offered by local police, parents groups, day care centers, etc. I have to wonder if this could have helped your co-worker's child from suffering.
  • tjudsontjudson Member Posts: 2
    Is the base engine rated as a LEV or an ULEV? I've heard that ULEV's are available on the S60 but it may be restricted to California.

Ours gets good gas mileage too: 28-30 round town and 35 highway. Auto tranny too.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Hi,

I've never considered a Volvo, but the S60 is starting to catch my eye more and more. I'm considering the T5, partly cuz I'm thinking about going with a manual transmission and also because I'm under the impression that the Nav system is essentially only available on the T5.

I've read several reviews of the T5 and while they all praise the fit-and-finish and the interior ergonomics, seats, stereo, etc, they all make rather negative statements about the vehicle's handling/suspension.

I ain't no race-track driver, so I'm curious what people's real-world experience is.

Also, is Nav available in the AWD version? (The web site says yes, but the dealer said it's only on the T's).

Thanks! Someone talk me into getting this car!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    First of all Nav is available for all S60s.
    That being said, as a Volvo dealer I don't ever order the system for my stock cars for a couple of reasons.
    1 Its a toy, and an expensive one $1895.
    2 Most of our business is in leased vehicles and Volvo Finance deducts 1 point of residual for having a nav sys. in the car.
    The system does work well and the screen placement is the best in the business, looks cool popping up from the dash.
    If you travel alot, or are in unfamiliar surroundings it can be very useful, otherwise not.

As for the T5 and its pluses and minuses, the car is fast. The manual version is especially fun as you can keep the car in the 3-5000 rpm band where the engine works best.Disable the DSTC system and get some smoky burnouts!
    As to the suspension, Volvos are not built for racing, but rather for comfort and control in everyday circumstances. They are meant to be easy to drive for people who lack racers skills.
    The reviewers of the Car Buff mags tend to be racers or former racers so they favor BMW's and other race inspired cars.
    IMHO the S60 is more comfortable and predictable in every day driving conditions.
    If you want a Super S60, wait for the R.
    Otherwise, go with the T5, and have a blast!
    Thanks for the GREAT review. You told me basically what I needed to know. I'm gonna go take a serious look at at T5 with Nav. (I have Nav in my current Lexus, and while I'll be the first to admit it is a non-essential toy, I absolutely love it and wont consider a car without it...)
  • hoseheadhosehead Member Posts: 1
    Anybody bought an s60 windshield recently feel like saying how much it cost?
    Glad to be of help
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    My local dealership has a loaded '02 S-60T5 demo with 7K on the odo. The manager had been driving it, but here's the odd part he still wants MSRP!!!

Is this normal practice for Volvo dealerships? I've never owned a Volvo, but "deals" like these will keep me from owning one.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    When I bought my S60 about a year ago, the dealer had two identical used S60s on his lot with about 4,000 miles on them. They were priced about $2500 above what I bought mine for new.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I guess they charge a premium for breaking in the car for you! :)
    I hadn't ever considered a Volvo before, but the new look is growing on me. Drove a T5 today and was quite impressed. I'm considering ordering one with a manual, but I don't know if I'd grow tired of it after time (but sure sounds like it might be fun!)

Does anyone have a T5 manual? Just curious what you think about it (admittedly that's a VERY open-ended question...)

Also, is the stereo upgrade as good as I've read? (A good stereo can sell the car in my book..)

Loved the car (though that back seat is awful, for a car that looks so big on the outside)
  • billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    The stereo upgrade is awesome! I used to own an S80 with the same stereo and loved it. Volvo is the only car manufacturer with the license to provide Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound systems in their cars. However, with the price of the option, you really have to decide if the money is worth it to you. If you get the chance, listen to a standard stereo and listen to an upgraded one. Make sure you have a CD with you and the Dolby Pro Logic is set. You will really hear the difference.
  • granado87granado87 Member Posts: 6
    Okay, I really just like the looks of the car. I don't need all of the bells and whistles. Besides going through the Edmunds or KBB website, I just want to know what people are paying currently for their s60s? I've been hearing of dealerships offering $4500 cash back incentives, but from what prices/deals? How cheap/low could a s60 go?

Any info, comments would be most appreciated.
    Help me with my decision!

Can anyone assess the difference in handling/acceleration, etc between the T5 and the AWD versions of the S60? I know the T5 is faster, but just curious how much difference there would be with the AWD. (Dealer has no AWD's available for comparison).

I was originally interested in the T5 cuz I want a fun car (to replace my BORING Lexus RX300), but then I started thinking that AWD would be nice here in Chicago (but then again, any FWD car should do just fine...) I'm babbling...

Any musings anybody has would be appreciated.
    If the Navigation system goes where the center speaker is, can you still get the Audio upgrade in the S60? If so, and you lose a speaker, is this a significant compromise?
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    My personal preference is for the AWD. The T5 is faster, so you can definitely choose either the T5 or the AWD and not make a bad decision. However, if traction is an issue for you (e.g. winter driving), the AWD would seem to be a better choice. In winter driving conditions, front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive; however, AWD is better than front wheel drive. If you go with the AWD, be sure to get the DSTC option. (I believe that DSTC is standard on the T5.)
    T5 def. faster.
    However the AWD seemed more stable and planted on the road.
    No torque steer,power delivery is very smooth.
    In Chicago the AWD might be the better choice, here in the southwest its T5 all the way
  • bigmusclepaulbigmusclepaul Member Posts: 9
    Hey Everyone, after just hitting the 31,000 mile mark on my 2001 S60 (base engine), I can say it's the best car I've ever had. Great gas mileage (30+mpg on the highway), wonderful seats, excellent sound system. I've crossed the USA 4 times with it, and it's an excellent long-hauler. Maintenance charges have been less than my former 1998 Honda Accord, and only one minor warranty repair claim. Dealers across the US and Canada have all offered loaner cars for every service visit at no charge.

I've hit 130mph with it, and still managed to have a quiet conversation with my passenger(the aerodynamics actually lower the suspension system above 110mph, so the car really hugs the road). And once I accidently took a freeway interchange ramp (with a posted speed of 35) at 65mph (forgot the cruise was on), and actually FELT the DTCS system kick in - it felt like a cat hitting that corner - composed and sure-footed.

It always seems to be the car of choice whenever my friends and I hit the gym (4 big guys fit comfortably in it). However the joke is that if ever the 8 airbags all deployed at once, we'd all end up as one big human marshmallow....

Highly recommended
    I'm about ready to leave for a test drive of the S60 AWD. I'd previously tried out the T5, but started thinking that the AWD version would be good to have here in Chicago.

I can't believe I'm actually considering a Volvo! The S60, tho, is certainly intriguing me.

For those of you that have S60s, what do you like LEAST about the car? (I'm sure there a many many things to LIKE about the car, but I find the negative more instructive).

Thanks!
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I was like you, I couldn't beleive it either, yet here I am hitting the 10,000km markin my 02 S60 T5. What a pleasure to drive everyday. i recommend that if you want a manual transmission get the T5. i would not get an automatic T5, i would get an AWD. This year's AWD gets 10bhp more and tq. is up to 236lb.ft., so it will have better pickup.

In Canada, we have heavy winters and so far, afetr a snowfall of 12 inches last week, my T5 with winter tires has been excellent. The Michelin Arctic Alpins are an amazing tire.

Definitely get the audio upgrade, I still can't beleive the sound quality. Dolby Pro Logic in a car? You bet.

Love the seats, turbo and tranny. You can't go wrong and good luck!
    You may not get many responses. The negatives are pretty much nit picky items. My biggest complaint is that the ProLogic (HU901) stereo is not available as an option for the AWD (even though it apparently can be ordered if delivery is taken overseas (Belgium)). I have learned to suffer the HU613 stereo; so as I said, the negatives are probably nit picky items. In closing, I guess that my greatest substantial negative on the AWD is the Pirrelli tires; but, there again, the tire problem can be solved as well. Oh well....
  • dickielowedickielowe Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I just came back from a test drive of the above...options included base stereo, leather, power moon, metallic, and CD. They are asking $29,775...if it were you, what would you offer for this fine vehicle? 22,300 miles on it.
    Thanks in advance!
  • petepie1petepie1 Member Posts: 25
    dickielowe, post your message over on the "real world trade-in values" board, with the information about the 2001 S60 T5 you're looking at. There are a bunch of people there who will give you their estimate on how much the dealer has in the car, and what a fair price should be. Good luck.
  • bigmusclepaulbigmusclepaul Member Posts: 9
    The only complaint I think I have would be the slight road noise that seems to come up from the front tires. Other than that, it's perfect.

As for the sound system, I've head that Volvo contracts it's audio equipment from Harden Karmon. Is this correct? I've got the base HU613 sound system, and I've been amazed at the frequency response and seperation. I can make the rear-view mirror shake without adjusting the bass or treble controls. Just keep your spare change out of the door pockets - otherwise they'll shake away in there...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The audiomax system uses H-K speakers.
    Base systems like the 613 are Alpine derived.
    PP! and Host--thanks for the tip...there's so much on this website...thought I start here---now if I can find more than one T5 manual...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A journalist with a major newspaper wants to talk with consumers who've bought entry-lux cars (e.g. BMW 3, Mercedes c-coupe, Jag X-type, Audi a4, etc) in the last year, ideally buyers who were new to the luxury brands, to talk about how they like their cars and why they bought them. Please respond asap by Wednesday, December 4 to jfallon@edmunds.com with the type of vehicle and approximate amount you paid for it. Thanks!
    So far, the reports have been extremely favourable, most recently on canadiandriver.com.

Can't wait to drive it myself but I hope that the price will be reasonable.
  • chb03chb03 Member Posts: 1
    A few months ago I went over a speedbump in my S60 and immediately, an ear-piercing whistle came from somewhere underneath the car. It had to be towed, and the dealer made a repair to the flange protecting the driveshaft. Unfortunately, now whenever I drive at highway speeds in wet weather, the whistle comes back intermittently. It seems to be coming from the center bottom of the car. My mechanic is out of ideas -- does anyone know what this might be? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
  • mfschoenbergmfschoenberg Member Posts: 8
    I got a great deal on a 2002 2.4T w/ only 3 miles on the Odometer loaded except for Touring Package. ~$700 under invoice + $3000 rebate + $300 Homelink to be installed at a later date. I didn't even have to use my Ford Supplier X-Plan discount as they must be making room for the 2003's.

Seriously considered a new FWD Saab 9-3 Linear, but the well loaded S60 2.4T for $29,666 (MSRP $35,150) was a much better car for the price in terms of power, interior comfort & features, and exterior styling. The new Saab Linear wasn't as good as I expected, I really love the 2.4L Turbo 5 cylinder on the Volvo.

Only negative thing I can think of is that the Volvo doesn't have a boost gauge like the Saab.
    I'd like to install a pod mounted gauge on the A pillar in the future.
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have the step by step instructions for self-replacement and a supplier? Thanks
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    I received my answer at v70xc board #357, thanks, Art.
  • bcjacobbcjacob Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a '03 S60 AWD and need some input. I currently have an Acura and Lexus both w/ Nav systems. The acura system is great, the lexus is aweful! Any comments on the ease of use on the Volvo sys? Is it a touch screen?

Has anyone installed xenon bulbs or lights on an S60? I can't believe a $39k car doesn't have xenon lights.
    Nav system is not a touch screen.
    Control is via the steering wheel or remote control.
    Screen pops up from the center of the dash.

Xenon is available in Europe, but not here :(
    I really don't know why, Volvo is missing the boat here.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    I take a lot of sharp, fast canyon turns on my route to work, exclusively on dry pavement. I rarely ever drive in snow or in rain.

How does the AWD system affect handling when taking sharp, fast turns on *dry* roads? My salesperson it would greatly enhance the "road holding" capability on tight turns over dry pavement, but I don't know if he was just trying to sell me extra options.

A good suspension setup is much more benficial.
    The T5 w/ sport suspension will corner better than the AWD.
    The AWD will eliminate torque steer, but not enhance the roadholding in fair weather.
  • yinhavyinhav Member Posts: 3
    rghessel: Hope you've bought your T5 already!

What I don't like:
    - Quality problems, like A/C stucking on hot, rattles, loose driver's seat...
    - Slippery tires
    - Modern bumber covers that don't hold a 10mph rear-ending :-)
    - Tall first gear
    - Large blind spots

What I do like is racing with Nissan Maximas.
    (I'm planning to chip the car for 260-280hp, should be doable with doubling the boost)
    First month--all is almost well. Both wife and I enjoy driving the car--our first Volvo, so had to get the manual to keep us busy!

We notice at about 70mph, the seal of the moonroof seems to "pop", and a small air leak. I reopened and then closed the roof-sealing it tight again.

Is this normal? or is it a subtle speed governor on our safety car telling not to drive over 70?
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    Yes, I know this comparison seems strange, but I own a 2002 Camry and I am considering getting an S60 instead. My reason is simple: everything about my Camry is fine with one exception - the driver's seat seems to have been designed by the Marquis de Sade. I have spent over $1000 at auto upholsterers trying to get it fixed, as trading in a new car is obviously a financial disaster. But a chronically bad back is a much worse disaster.

I haven't actually driven the S60 yet. I have tried just about everything else, from all the American brands to a Volvo S40 and a C-series Mercedes. I didn't find any of them comfortable, certainly not sufficiently more comfortable than my Camry to justify the cost of trading. Now my son, who drives a BMW SUV, tells me that the S60 is the most comfortable car he's ever driven. I will try it as soon as I can - I'm laid up at the moment with a twisted knee - but wonder if in the meantime anyone has ever compared the S60 with the Camry.

The seat, which I see people seem to love, is of course my first priority, but I will have to judge that for myself as soon as I can. But what about the rest of the car? It's 9" shorter than the Camry, same width and weight, has a much smaller trunk,a slightly wider turning circle, and 11 more hp in the base model. In other words, on paper it seems pretty comparable, yet it costs nearly double what the Camry costs. What do you get for that additional money? Certainly not more reliability, and while the Camry is no racing car, I understand the S60 isn't either, and besides, I'm no racing driver.

I guess I could be charged with comparing apples and oranges, but I'm really not - I'm comparing two fine cars which seem comparable yet one costs nearly double the other (I paid $19,000 for the Camry and will have to pay around $37,000 for an S60). I'm trying to figure out why there is such a price difference. I might add that Volvo is one of the few car brands I've never owned, though I've owned everything from a tiny Renault 4 and a Toyota Tercel to a diesel Mercedes and a gasoline Mercedes and full-size American cars (Impala, Pontiac, and Cadillac). I've never had this seat problem before, by the way; new cars seem to have much harder and severely preformed seats than previous models (though admittedly my back is doubtless softer and less well formed than previously). Anyway, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd very much like to hear them. Thanks in advance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist with a major daily newspaper is looking to talk with people who bought entry-luxury cars having owned more-expensive luxury cars (e.g. traded 5-series for 3-series).
    If you have a story to share, please send your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 20, 2002. Please be sure to include the vehicle model names and model years. Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Good points. The Camry does everything that any car does, yet people continue to buy BMW, Audi, Mereceds, etc...are they throwing their money away?

Maybe.

The proof will be when you drive the Volvo. I think you will notice that cars like the Volvo, BMW, Mercedes have a "different" feel to the Camry. While the Camry does everything that anyone can ask for, these cars are more upscale in feel, looks, quality and driving experience.

Whether it is worth it or not is up to you but coming from this S60 owner, I am very happy with my car and once you drive a car of this ilk, the Camry will seem cheaper than it is.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
    The only sure way to tell if the S60 is right for you is to take one for an extended ride. I believe that Hertz rents the S60. Rent one for a weekend and drive it for a good long while. If your back likes the seats, then, you have your answer.
  • redfive2112redfive2112 Member Posts: 15
    Traded in a 2001 CL-S in September for a metallic grey 2002 2.4T S60 and so far love the car. Miss the power of the Acura, but the Volvo is so much more comfortable. And the S60 is no slouch either, it gets up ok on the freeway but feels a little sluggish from a red light.

Pros:
    1) Amazing seats. The overall comfort of this car is very nice. Very different from the CL, which was very firm in comparison. I miss the Acura through the corners and freeway on/off ramps but everywhere else give me my S60!
    2) Amazing stereo.
    3) Great looking (I never thought I'd say that about a Volvo!).
    4) Great Dealership (Orange County Volvo)with a lot of perks.

Cons:
    1) Steering could use more feel. I'm used to it now, but coming from the Acura to the Volvo initially felt like a Caddy from the 70s.
    2) More Power Please! I may have to trade this in in two or three years for an S60R.
    3) The options are a little strange. It would have been nice to get heated seats and the stereo upgrade but the seats are only part of the cold weather package and the stereo upgrade is only available on the T5.

Hope that helps anyone out there thinking about an s60. Consider me a Volvo fan for life!

Scott
    Welcome aboard the S60 train. Regarding power, you can purchase an ECU upgrade from ipdusa.com that will boost hp to around 220 and torque to 265, which may be enough for your needs. The S60 will never be a drag racer (for that matter, no Volvo will be able to claim top honors in 0 to 60 or quarter mile); however, for all-around driving that is safe, you can't beat them.
  • car02car02 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me an idea at what I am looking to pay for the AWD S60 T-5?
    Pricing has not been set yet.
    We have been told @$43-45000.
    Base price @$39,900.
    2000 cars for North America, so don't expect any discount.
    This is probably riduculous to ask at the beginning of 2003, but does anyone know of any possible changes for MY 2004? The lease for my Lexus is up in Dec 2003 and am moderately interested in the Volvo S60 (either T5 or AWD). The littlest changes can make a difference to me, so just curious if anyone knows of any.
    Does anyone have the Navigation system in their S60? I currently have a Lexus and I have found the Navigation system invaluable. I'm considering a S60 (either T5 or AWD) when my lease is up and am wondering how user-friendly/functional the Volvo Nav system is. (Pretty cool how it rises out of the dash!)

I've read a review of car-based Nav systems, and Lexus was the winner by a long shot (largely cuz theirs is touch-screen based). BMW and MB were dead last, with Acura and Infiniti in the middle. (Volvo was not part of the comparison).

Appreciate your thoughts.

(PS Please spare me the "Navigations systems are a waste of money -- get a map" discussion. I KNOW they are a waste of money, but that's not my question...)