Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    I can't decide....

2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 6-speed

2004 Volvo S60R AWD

2003 Saab 9-3 Vector 6-speed

Which company has better quality control and dealer network service??
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Volvo has a more complete dealer network than Audi, and especially Saab.
    Here the caddy dealers sell Saabs.
    Also, according to JD Power Volvo ranks ahead of Audi and Saab in initial quality.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    danncas, Volvo officially announced an AWD S80 about a week ago. They've also added the 4C option from the S60R along with some other options to the S80 lineup...

-rollie
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I was leaning heavily toward a 9-3 Arc when I read a review about the new S60R.

Everything I have read and heard from other Saab fans lead me to believe the new 9-3 is very well executed.

You definitely will have access to more Volvo dealers than Saab.

Personally, if I were going German I would look at the Benz or BMW before the Audi.
  • danncasdanncas Member Posts: 24
    rollie

I don't know what the C option is can you tell me.
    I heard about the S80 AWD
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    4C stands for "continuously controlled chasis concept." It is an ever-changing suspension set-up whereby the car "forsees" what the driver is going to do and tweaks the suspension of the car in reaction to the prediction. IIRC, 4C can adjust the suspension settings about 500 times/second. It is supposed to have three settings - comfort, sport and advanced.

BTW - If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
    subya is correct, except that the S80 will have only the comfort and sport settings
  • danncasdanncas Member Posts: 24
    To bad the dealer here does not know about the up coming. Thats just another reason for me to go to other dealers close by. I have heard to many stories about bad dealers and customer service. Heard great thinks about the cars. I will have to make sure of the dealer. I most likely will still order mine for oversea pickup. But will it be the 60 or 80 have to waitand see. The S60 with all the options I want come to about List 39K. So picking it up oversea will save me quit a bit.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Any news on when the sedan will be available? I am also considering an FX 35 and a 2.7T but I would like to drive all three.
    Dealers should have their first car by the 1st week of May.
  • bv73ms3bv73ms3 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone else heard of the $5000 dealer incentive on the 2.4T, $3500 on the AWD and $4000 on the base 2.4. I just found out that this is good only if you DON'T use Volvo financial services. This incentive is good for either buy or lease. I live in Los Angeles CA and the dealer in Santa Ana was very cooperative and gave me the numbers readily. I wonder if there are other holdbacks I'm not aware or if it is really $6000 because he is very willing to give up the incentive and deal. I'm just having a hard time picking between the 2.4T and Saab 9-3.

Any comments?
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Here in NJ there are similar kickbacks on 2003's depending on volvo model and style. I was told that it was only through leasing other than Volvo, in my case it was Chase. I leased a 2003 S80 for $7700 under invoice. Cap cost of $30000.

Dave
  • justanotherjoejustanotherjoe Member Posts: 8
    Re posts 929 and 930...same here in Colorado. End of last month I was looking to see if it made sense to get out of '00 S80t6 lease early (lease is up mid June and I am now over 36k mileage as of this morning). Local dealer, who has been great, told me trying to get out this early offset any incentives. I was primarily interested in s60 2.5 AWD. Evidently, incentives were extended, so I will keep tracking. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to do another Volvo. Dmarcus48, what was your term and residual? thanks.
    Let's see my inception fees (total due at signing) was $1160, I'm paying $393 for 42 months. I believe the residual is 49%. Buy out is around $19500.

Hope this helps, that's on a 2003 S80 2.9 with premium pkg, cold climate, 17" arrakis wheels and I added factory fog lights.

Dave
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    Do you think it is the time now that Volvo dealers dump 2003 models and get 2004s in ? If is, I got to hurry to grab one. If it is not, I want to wait until July, when Acura TL will be on clearance. Then I can decide between these two and pick the more competitive price.
    I definately think the my2004 volvo's have something to do with the current deals.

Dave
  • bobdeanbobdean Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Is Volvo going to do anything about the S60R automatic performance (0-60 in
    7.2 sec)? Not very high performance slower then the S60 T5. Is there going
    to be a MY2005 S60R? Is the S60R going to get a 6 speed automatic
    transmission?
    Thx,
      Bob
    the center console cupholders on the '03 S60 can be removed? It looks like it's removeable, but I can't figure out how and I obviously don't want to break anything.
    The problem with the R automatic is that the gearbox has to limit the torque output.
    The auto tranny can't take it.
    There will be a 2005 R, according to rumors at Volvo it will be powered by the new short I6 @ 350hp.
    No word on a new auto trans though.
    Currently there are no auto transaxles in the world capable of dealing with more than 300 ft-lbs of torque, developing one would be too costly for Volvo, unless the costs could be shared. But with who?
    No other automaker in the world is trying to send so much power through a tranverse engine-transaxle setup.
  • bobdeanbobdean Member Posts: 2
    The new Porsche Cayenne Turbo uses a 6-speed automatic (450 hp @ 6000 rpm, 460 lb-ft @ 2250-4750 rpm), and also, the VW Touareg (310 hp 2 6200 rpm, 302 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm)

Bob
    Neither the Porsche nor VW trans are FWD transaxles.
    Both are more or less conventional transmissions.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Is the S60 platform totally different from that of the S80 and XC70? And if so, is it the newest of the 3 platforms. Which of the 3 has been least problematic, from a reliability aspect? Thanks.
    based on Volvo's P2 platform. It was originally introduced with the S80. The XC90 also shares the platform.
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Just bought a 2003 S60T2.4 from Red Bank Volvo in Redbank NJ. Worst experience i've ever had buying a car.. salesman actually insulted me on the phone at one point and I just had a service person threaten to hang up on me!!!
    What ever you do..stay away from this dealer.. worst I've ever dealt with. As for the car..I turned in a 2000 S70.. actually liked that car much better than the S60.. but it might just be the horrible experience at the dealer!
    This is very interesting. I leased a 2003 S80 from Red Bank Volvo and it was a very pleasant experience, I had a great salesperson, and am completely satisfied with the service, so far. I'm not disputing your experience with them at all, please don't feel that way. Just goes to prove what I've always suspected, it really depends on the salesperson you get, time of month, quantity of inventory that the dealer has when you buy the car. I would say though, if you felt that the salesperson had insulted you, why did you buy the car from them? Just curious.

Dave
  • patw99patw99 Member Posts: 1
    I heard from my retailer that Volvo just announced opportunities for consumers to drive the new S60R and V70R in at events in NY, Miami, Chicago and So. CA. Has anyone received an invitation yet? The URL link is www.volvocars.com/Rdrive - I've signed up for CA, if anyone goes to a prior event let me know how it was!
    I bought the car becaue they already had my down payment..which they refused to return! they had promised me a car and at the last minute told me that it was sold but wasnt input in their computer..i'd have another one a few days later... after two more weeks, no car, and attempts on their part to get me into a more expensive model it looked alot like a bait and switch. A truly horrible dealer with low quality sale department.. a place to avoid at all cost!
    To be honest with you if they had tried to do that to me, not give me back by deposit. I would have gotten a lawyer. I would not have allowed them to make money off me.

Dave
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I did something similar last summer called Volvo Fire & Ice Driving Challenge. They had them in a few cities and I went to the Boston area event.

They set up 3 courses at a closed Naval Air Station. Ice was called Winter in Sweden - it simulated winter conditions and we drove S60's with and without AWD. Fire was called Summer in LeMans and we drove S80's and S60's equipped with skid control systems. Last was a hot lap track where we were driven around in S60 Turbos 5 speeds with professional drivers. Sideways in a Volvo was interesting. They also had on hand a genuine racing Volvo that some people went out in.

They had 3 series and C class vehicles to compare against as well as all the models to climb into and check out. They also had an XC90 there behind velvet ropes. And the caterer did a great job.

If the R drive is anything like that day, you'll have fun.
    In retrospect your right Dave.. I should have but I just wanted the car at the time.. but the story gets worse. Volvo Finance, who I lease the car through sent me a final inspection on my 2000 Volvo which I turned in at Red Bank. They are charging me $200 for tires..It seems that what I though was the lease end inspection done when I turned in my 2000 S70 for my new one was not the final lease end inspection..the car was held for 3 months by Red Bank before being turned back to Volvo Finance. Volvo finance is also telling me that my security deposit will not be returned until they sell the car at auction!.. I can't find that in my lease at all so the battle continues.. As much as I like these cars I'd NEVER buy another.. Its amazing how a car company can turn off a loyal customer especially in these times!
    That's incredible! I can't believe they held the car for three months. Was the mileage different from when you handed it in? Because if it was different you could say that Red Bank drove the car and wore the tires. I know that I leased my last car from Chrysler, a 2000 Durango. I've leased many cars in the past 4 or 5, the Durango was subjected to the most stringent inspection of any of my lease cars. And even though my truck didn't have any chargeable items, I vowed then and there to never lease from chrysler directly again. My Volvo lease was done through Chase. I even tried to find an email address for my saleman to show them your posts and what a disgrutled customer can write about them.

Dave
    This was actually the worst experience I've ever had regarding a leasing company and an unprofessional uncaring sales group.. They truly cost themselves a steady customer.. This is my last Volvo.. BTW.. I leased through Chase also this time upon the dealers recommendation.. I wonder how they will be at lease end!
    Don
    Leasing companies are cracking down on the inspections because they are getting so many cars back now.
    Most even charge drop off fees at lease end.
    However, if your charges are less than $1000 chase, and now Volvo Finance will waive the charges(except for the disposition fee)
    Also, it can take anywhere for 1-3 months before your lease is closed in the lease companies books due to the paperwork and bureaucracies involved.
    Volvo Leasing, while not being the most courteous people I've dealt with were pretty clear that I wasnt getting my security deposit back until they sold the car at auction. Also I am responsible for a disposition fee. So between the tires and the disposition fee, I owe them.. after buying a new VOLVO... between the HORRIBLE sales staff at RED BANK VOLVO and the poor customer service at Volvo Leasing its no wonder they have to discount their cars so much.. good price or not, they are just not worth the aggravation!
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    While there may be a bad apple at one dealer (or more than one dealer, for that matter), that is not a reason to toss the whole lot. Personally, I would look for an alternative dealer. Leasing companies are under much more pressure as a result of the used market going into free fall. If the lease contract provides the ability to hold and offset the security deposit, then they are completely in their right to do so.

After nine months into my S60 AWD, I am completely satisfied. It has been boring in the absence of problems. Not even little things like lightbulbs going out are happening. The only time that I have seen the service department is when the car is in for oil and filter changes. If you are having problems with a particular dealer's service department, you need to take your business elsewhere.
    I actually have my car serviced at another Volvo dealer..Prestige in East Hanover NJ.. Pleople there are great.. wouldnt service it anywhere else.. they treat me great..
    My problem with Volvo is their leasing company and RED BANK Volvo in particular.. and yes..If the corporate office treats you in such a manner then I'd NEVER buy another one again..in todays time customer loyalty is not something to play with..way too many excellent cars out there to choose from.

As for the car.. dash board rattles alot and their is a banging from underneath.. both come and go which means that the dealer will not hear them in all probability , so i'm stuck with it.. and the radio is horrible.. but its leased so I really dont care.. wife drives it..loves the turbo..I'll stick with my honda..50,000 miles and not a hint of a problem!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    does the base car with MT have decent acceleration? any owners to testify?
    Yes, it has very good acceleration. I've got a totally base S60 and the power is, IMHO, more than adequate when mated with a manual tranny.
    I am deciding on a Red S60 2.4T with premium and sport package. Dealer quoted $33,622 plus tax and tags.

My question is, what price should I target when haggling. Is there any rebate program like in last year?

Thanks.
    There are no rebates for the S60 at this time.
    What does Edmunds say for a TMV?
    FYI.. I got my S60 2.4t with options bringing the cars MSRP to almost $35,000. After dealer rebates and discounts my Lease value is a bit over $26,000 - almost 10 grand off MSRP! . Volvo is dealing like crazy on these cars! I see similar ad's in the papers every week for outstanding lease values!
    Shop around!
    If I purchase the car instead of buying it, what discount can I expect?

And does you lease include an buyout option that allows you to pay the $26000 off after 3 years?
  • esaesa Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am considering buying a volvo because of it's safety reputation. I have been looking at the S60's. Are volvos reliable? Have any of you experience problems with the cars? I've always liked how square the volvos were, but when I'm finally ready to buy it, they go and change the shape.
    What are you guys paying for your S60 2.4T automatic? According to Edmunds, I can expect to to pay around $33,000.
    Its a normal lease through Chase..NOT VOLVO LEASING.. My buyout is about $17K. The deal was pretty incredible..It was a result of incentive through Volvo. Not sure that that particular incentive is out there but there is no way I'd pay $33,00 for a 2.4T. Its a nice car but definitely NOT a $33,000 car! Shop around and find a volume dealer.
    Good Luck
    You must have got your car before March.
    There were lease incentives on the S60 of up to $5500, they have been discontinued, in all regions as far as I know.
    I picked up my Volvo in early December and there was a lease incentive of about $5,500 as long as you didnt lease through Volvo Leasing so I leased through Chase. (go figure that one out). Thre dealer had already given me apporximately a $5,000 discount off the car.
    But considering how bad the dealer was and how babd Volvo leasing is, in hindsight I should have bought something else. The Accuras were a close second with good incentives and much more reliable.
    OOPS...Sorry for the bad typing in that last post!!! :)
  • hgozzohgozzo Member Posts: 2
    My dealer has several 2003 S60 AWDs in stock.
    All have the standard TRACS but none have
    DSTC(Dynamic Stability and Traction Control).

It is too late to custom order, but dealer
    would try to find if any other dealers have
    the S60 with DSTC.

My question is: do I really need DSTC? Is the standard TRACS traction control, with AWD,
    sufficient for bad weather driving?

I know that the new S60R has AWD paired with DSTC.

Any comments?
    IMHO, not at all necessary for the AWD.
    The R has it because of the power output of the R engine.
    The normal AWD drive system should be more than enough to help you out in bad weather.