Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    After seeing an article in the Detroit News it seems to be important to pass on to Optima owners and prospective owners. According to the article approximately 9000 Optima's are affected. The seat adjuster function could cause the side airbag to either not inflate or inflate for no reason. The article was fairly specific but not too detailed. Hope this is of some help.
  • harryalb2harryalb2 Member Posts: 6
    Talked to my dealer today about recall. Some possibility of the placement of the side airbag wiring might place it too close to the track and could wear through the wires. They are checking all the wires and either moving the wires out of the way with clips or of they are worn, taking the car off the road until parts come in to replace the harness etc. (putting you in a loaner) They were unsure if it included manual seats also or just the power seats, but I could take it in anyway to check just in case or wait to receive a letter about it.
  • churchorganistchurchorganist Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new, and have been interested in trying a KIA in the Albany, N.Y. area, but hae found that the two in our area (Albany and Burnt Hills-Saratoga) have each discontinued carrying KIA in the past 5 months! The only dealer is 47 miles north in Glens Falls, which is too far for service or a tow, if needed.

Have any of you noticed any KIA dealer "dopouts" in yor area? Will Hyundai dealers in my area perhaps carry their "sister" brand?

Input, please....thanks!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I live in the Seattle area and I haven't noticed any Kia dealerships dropping out. I haven't noticed any new ones, either.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ski3166ski3166 Member Posts: 1
    I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND HAVE A OPTIMA. NOT ONLY AM I VERY HAPPY WITH MY OPTIMA, BUT ALSO THE QUALITY OF SERVICE THESE DEALERS ARE GIVING. I HAD MY RECALL FIXED AND THEY PROVIDED ME WITH A LONER CAR IT ONLY TOOK TWO HOURS. WHEN I ARRIVED AT THE DEALERSHIP MY CAR WAS DONE, FULL OF GAS AND CLEANED. I KNOW I LIVE IN AMERICA BUT KIA IS DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO MAKE ME FORGET THAT. I AM A KIA FAN. THERE ARE KIA DEALERS OPENING UP ALL OVER HERE !
    My dealer has dealt with me similarly with my '99 Kia Sephia. It's had one warrranty-covered part go bad and have to be replaced and two recalls. All fixes were done quickly with no cost to me (obviously), there was cheap coffee and TV to watch and beautiful Kia's all over the place to stare at. Dealer aftercare is really important and mine has been fantastic. Yes, a washed car always comes out of the deal, too. You get quality low-priced new cars and great afterpurchase care by your dealer and it goes a long way into turning you into a Kia/Hyundai lifer. I'm glad you like your Optima. I'm looking for owner feedback on Optima and I'm also interested in Kia's new Sephia II coming out this summer. I've read that Optima's ride is quiet and nice and acceleration is fine. I like the looks of the Optima better than the new Sonata Hyundai is debuting this year for 2002. Although Optima people might also consider the new Sonata. Go to the Sonata 2 site at Edmunds.com and see for yourself.

• sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    HELLO ALL ,PURCHASED THE OPTIMA LAST NITE.DEALER IS GOING TO LOCATE EXCACT CAR FOR ME,IF NOT WILL ORDER.WILL TAKE 3 WEEKS.TEST DROVE OPTIMA LX V6 WITH ABS+CD+FLOORMATS,CAR IS EXCELLENT,VERY SOLID FEELING,HANDLED TURNS VERY WELL,WITH LITTLE ROLL,STOPPED SMOOTHLY, AND WENT OVER BUMPS WITH EASE,(VERY IMPORTANT ON LOUSY NY STREETS)ORDERED SE V6 BLACK WITH LEATHER,ABS.AND FLOORMATS.CANT WAIT.WILL KEEP YOU POSTED WITH MORE DETAILS OF THE DEAL,AND ARRIVAL OF BLACK BEAUTY....
  • yuri_luvyuri_luv Member Posts: 4
    Why do people start saying bad things when it's "Kia", Hyundai Sonata received all good reviews on almost every site or megazines and when it comes to Kia Optima which is on the platform of Sonata, everyone says "recall problems" and everything...

I dont know... i think it's just overreacting....
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    I first the New 2001 optima got
    me some attention but kind of back off
    when it has a recall...
    You are new on the road and
    you are hungry for customers
    you should not make any mistakes
    @ the very first time. Don't let
    people say " Cheap products are low
    on quality " Just like any products
    in 99 cents stores,Only candies and
    cookies are ok Don't you think so..?
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Considering the number of major recalls due to very serious defects committed by the "old hands" in the auto industry (GM with the don't-drive-them Trailblazer/Bravada/Envoy, D-C with the don't-drive-them minivans, and Ford with the Escape/Tribute, Focus, and Explorer) - Kia and Hyundai are not doing too bad.
    I'll ignore what ever that was in 110. Funny, people see certain brands as untouchable in quality and others as junk. My experience with my cars and friends/familys cars have never been perfect.

1998 Ford Mustang GT/power seat shorted out and a recall
    1998 Ford Crown Vic/two recalls and traded in for bad transmission dealer couldn't fix
    2001 Lexus GS300/Tires replaced with large bulges in the side, roofline trim coming off, fog light fell off
    2001 Cadillac Escalade/wood trim keeps coming off
    1994 Toyota Corolla/bad wind noise from poorly designed seals, recall, window regulators broke twice
    1993 Chevy Blazer/bad leaf springs, broken hinges on back window
    1994 GMC Sonoma/computer went bad, a/c switch broken first day
    1995 Mazda 626/new transmission after two years
    2001 Chevy S-10/brakes replaced, computer chip replaced

So, from what I've personally had and seen I don't see any perfect manufacturers. I'll admit Kia was not on my list of cars to consider not long ago, not even Hyundai. But, so far, 4000 miles on my Optima and I'm totally satisfied. Guess Cadillac, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Mazda, GMC and Lexus just happen to make one bad car each and get them to me and my friends. Oh well.
    Has anyone ever heard the line that the average car contains 3,000 moving parts (I suppose they're just roughly counting moving parts not the countless stationary ones)? This sounds close enough to me to be believable so this is my point to ponder. Harryalb2 has made a nice list of his past vehicles and their problems. Does anyone ever get a thought that manufacturer's are doing quite well producing how they are now? If you look past Ford/Firestone's winning combination (!!!!) Just kidding-sort of. I'm REALLY STARTING TO WONDER ABOUT OUR FRIENDS AT FORD. They had a hand in these rollover problems. Duh! Back to what I was saying about manufacturers in general. With all those moving parts in motion on an average car that's a lot of friction and a lot of action going on whenever the vehicle's moving. They're going to mess up. The two recalls and one warranty-covered electronic part that decided to die on my '99 Kia Sephia were replaced in a total of about 3 hours at no cost to me. Add some general maintenance time and what's the problem? If Kia tried to hide a real problem I'd be upset but they haven't. Speaking of recalls the Optima was recalled, harryalb2. Did you hear about it? I think it's all Optima's in this it's initial production year. Sorry! Perhaps you've already had it fixed. Still, if you have a decent dealer coupled with the Long-Haul Warranty you'll be taken care of.

• giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    ... the owner/driver. If only people would learn more about cars, how to drive them properly, and how to maintain them over time. If the average Joe or Jane wouldn't mistreat or abuse their cars so much, they'd have fewer problems. How many take the time to fully read the owner's manual? How many Explorer owners took the time to look at the tire pressure/weight limit tag built into the door jam?
    It seems to me that many new models likely to
    have some bugs and those bugs will be fixed
    when they are recalled. And ofcourse, NO ONE
    is perfect. I believe there are some more bugs
    on the very new models that we don't really know
    and those bugs will be fixed on the next year models and I will have to wait and see how my
    wife's future car the new "2002 optima" doing...
    Iluvmysephia1, I know about that recall. Been checked, nothing to fix. I wasn't trying to rag other makes in order to improve my Kia image. My only thing was that some posts are so ignorant in their belief that Kia is the "only" car manufacturer that had problems in the past. I admit, I'm sure my Optima will have little things come up over time, but it isn't the first or last car to do so. Kia, and Hyundai, had problems, and they've made wonderful improvements to fix those problems. We'll have to wait and see how the future holds up, but if anyone really believes that buying some other manufacturers car will exempt them from problems, then I wish them luck.
    I totally agreed,
    NO ONE is perfect. 10 years ago hyundai
    was a piece of junk, the cheapest car
    in the world and the lowest quality car
    in the world also. But, Hyundai today is
    second to none. The price, Value, Workmanship
    and quality they are improved. I beleive today
    car is better than yesterday car and somedays
    the Korean cars will be on the road more and
    more...BM
    and I feel that this country also lets 16 year olds grab the wheel way too easily. I'm starting to favor the 18 year old starting driver age. The fast pace of today's traffic and the lack of driver skill and judgement continues to threaten us all. I'm driving in the nation's 2nd worst traffic(Seattle area-2nd only to L.A.)so I see just about everything out there. Just like my simulator instructor in 10th grade said I would. He was right! The continuous thrill to have to go 10-15 mph over the limit is not only annoying it's dangerous. Throw some moronic truck drivers with moronic bosses into the mix and I-5 is one big nightmare to drive. Even at 10:00PM it can be crowded on Seattle's freeways(!!!!!):( I do agree that reading one's owner's manual and following maintenance procedures is super important and we know it was partly to blame for the Explorer rollovers. Really. No, I wasn't insisting that Kia wasn't perfect enough. I'll never try and give that impression. I was simply stating that cars are sophisticated machines with many parts interwoven and meshing and moving and they're gonna grind and fail here and a there. Especially with the need for electric wiring going here and there. A lot of recalls are really being over careful but that's cool, isn't it? The Kia Sephia ones I've been involved with have gone breezily and easily and I'm glad they were taken care of for me. Happy motoring Americans!!!

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Did you check autonews.com today? Guess who's ahead by 46.% May to May. It isn't F or DC or GM it's KIA. Hyundai also did 34.% better. "Oh gosharoooooney Buffahhhlo Baaaaahb, I just can't understaaand it" "What do youuuuu saaaay, Clarabelle?" Honk...honk... "Where's Mr Bluster?"
    "Gee, Howdy, I think he went to the Kia dealer to buy a car"
    It's all coming up roses for 'da S.Korean boys! I can even enjoy it without being able to access The Hyundai Connection website and sprayin' glorious Kia graffiti around! Don't raise your prices Kia! Employ generous use of robots! Keep your smokin' big factory clean! What's more, The Guess Who and Joe Cocker are preppin' for a 41-city U.S. tour! I musta fell off the right sideda 'da bed!!!!!

Check out the July 2001 issue of Road & Track. Has a strange one-page first drive review of "the all-new Kia Optima". Odd that there is no mention, no whatsoever, of its Hyundai Sonata roots. Article doesn't mention Hyundai or the Sonata. Does talk about the Porsche-licensed Tiptronic manumatic shifter. And says "Kia says that a largerer-displacement V-6 is on the way for the 2002 model year."
    Hey, serpentki! You used to come here and praise your 2001 Kia Optima. Is it still sitting in your driveway? It is......I'd like to hear an update on how your Optima is performing now. Still digging it?

• astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    The June issue of the Brit mag CAR has a nice write-up on the Optima, called the Magentis in England. It is only a short take but they mention the excellent Shiftronic tranny, the smooth and quiet engine (the Brit Sonata V-6 has 160Hp and 170lb-ft of torque while the Magentis has 166Hp and 169lb-ft). The top speed of the Magentis with these specs is listed at 131mph but there was no 0-60mph offered. Their listed test data on the Sonata V-6 auto is 124mph top speed, 0-60mph 9.1 sec.

They much prefer it (the Magentis) to the '99+ Sonata which bodes well for both the Optima and the '02 Sonata, from which most of the current Optima is derived. It will be nice to see what the coming 2.7L V-6 will do for overall responsiveness and drivability in both cars in the N.A. market.
    But what do they say about handling and ride? Esp. when pushed hard? Handling capability, or lack there of, has been a big area sport-oriented car magazines have taken the Sonata to task for. Is there any acceleration figure? 1/4 mile? 0-100 kph? Anything? What did they say about the Shiftronic?
    Seems to me what I've read has been really full of praise for Optima. The low price gets mentioned as do the smooth acceleration and quiet ride. A great flagship car for Kia, etc. Finish work inside generally is well-liked as is exterior details with the headlights being praised. The taillights seem to be getting the brush-off as having been seen on Chevy's Corsica already, etc. No biggie. I can't recall 0-60 speed figures or top speed figures thrown in though they would be interesting. Giowa-try this review out. http://www.nctd.com/01/mid/01optima.cfm

So far there haven't been many in major US magazines. One page short take in R&T. Haven't seen any detailed reviews in R&T, C&D, MT, AutoWeek, etc.

The review you posted seems pretty fair and balanced. Spends most time talking about features, price, and walkaround. Not too much time spent discussing driving. Points out that the car provides decent value. The driving experience isn't much to write home about. Soft setup designed for comfort that doesn't like to be driven hard. The acceleration times with the automatic are leisurely in the V-6 class, more due to the smallish 2.5L V-6 in a 3.0L competitive world. Moving to a 2.7L V-6 will help, but to be truly competitive, 3.0L necessary.

Optima seems to be pretty much like my '00 Sonata. I prefer my GLS V-6 w/5-speed manual. Just needs a sport package so she'd be fun to drive on twisting roads.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I am here to announce the new Kia Owners Club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Giowa,

Like I said, the review was strictly a short take. It was no more than a few small columns. I relayed the relevant high points of interest provided in it. Whenever a more thorough review becomes available, I won't hesitate to share it.
    HELLO,I KNOW I COULD HAVE SAVED 611 BUCKS BY GETTING SONATA GLS WITH EVERY OPTION,AS COMPARED TO OPTIMA SEV6 ALL OPTIONS.MY QUESTION IS DID I MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION , WAITING FOR DELIVERY ANY DAY NOW ON MY OPTIMA.I USED TMV FOR ALL MY FIGURES.OPTIMA OWNERS PLEASE REPLY,THANKS
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Just because another Optima owner (and I am not one) might have gotten a better deal does not mean you could have gotten the same deal. Not even if you lived in the same town and went to the same dealer as they did.

And you definitely cannot compare the Sonata with the Optima. They may be the same car under the skin, but the skin is different and that could account for the price difference.

Just enjoy your new car.
    Am writing this while on vacation in the Adirondack Mtns of Upstate NY. Drove 1,300 miles in my '96 Impala SS. While in Lake Placid the other day I noticed two new Optimas. Didn't recognize them from a distance. Then dawned on me the closer they got. Both looked very sharp. Maybe a bit too much like a Galant, but still quite pretty in a dignified, classy sort of way. Maybe it was the sharp alloy wheels, but I think the Optima is a nicer looking car than my '00 Sonata GLS. And you get the space the saving trunk hinges, plus the shiftronic. No, I wouldn't buy one since you can't get a manual tranny with the V-6, but the Optima just comes across as being more fully thought out than the Sonata. Can't wait to see the '02 Sonatas. Then Hyundai will level the playing field. Hope they keep the manual with V-6 as an option and add a sport suspension/package.
    And let's hope we get the 2.7L V-6 to go with the manual and shiftronic. From what I hear, we should. More Hp and torque never hurt, no matter the tranny.

I know what you mean about the Optima. It has a kind of formality to it's design...a very classy look. Seeing any car in certain colors may improve the impression but can also have the opposite effect. The Optima grill is a little too overdone for my taste. I also feel the same about the Leganza grill. The '02 Sonata grill is more to my liking and will finally blend with the latest Hyundai family look.

Enjoy the vacation time. Don't overheat those SS brakes on the downhills. You know what warped rotors cost me.
    of just how tasteful the Optima looks. Kinda Galant-like in the rear but all Kia Optima up front. I, too, think Kia's done a great job of designing this car. Whenever I've seen one on the road I've HAD to do a couple of double-takes and steer the Sephia carefully to avoid collision. I like the Optima in Pearl White but I'd love to see one in black out on the road. I can't wait to see the 2002 Sonata either. Online it looks pretty cool.

• baldguybaldguy Member Posts: 2
    I think the Optima looks fantastic!! And I love the front grille just the way it is. Of course, I own a Leganza, and that's one of the reasons I bought it, was the looks of the front end. If the Optima was available when I bought my Leganza, it would have been a much tougher choice.
    It does seem they are charging a pretty penny for it, though, if the 6 cyl is ending up at $23,000.
    Anyone here have any 'real life" prices that they care to divulge? It looks like Kia beat Daewoo to the punch with a 6 cyl (the Leganza gets one for 2002, provided they are still here).
    ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO WAIT FOREVER FOR DELIVERY OF THEIR OPTIMA.DEALER DIDNT HAVE WHAT I WANTED SO I ORDERED.KIA OPTIMA SE V6 BLACK (LEATHER PACKAGE ABS FLOORMATS)THEY SAID 2-3 WEEKS, IT IS NOW 5 WEEKS AND NOT EVEN A VIN#.WHATS GOING ON.COULD IT BE THEY ARE SELLING MY CAR TO HIGHER BIDDERS?IS THERE ANY DELAYS AT THE KIA FACTORIES.WHERE ARE ALL THE OPTIMAS?? PLEASE HELP,SHOULD I CANCEL?
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    This applies to all cars and not just Kias, but from what I have read "underestimating" how long it will take for a special order to arrive seems par for the course.

If it is an actual factory order, you might have something of a much longer wait.

Sorry.
  • serpentkiserpentki Member Posts: 20
    Greetings! Yes, my Optima is still treating me just fine. I really love this car and spend a good deal of time driving and admiring it - perhaps the reason I have been away from the boards.

I now have over 6K miles on the Optima. I had to take it in for the side airbag recall. There was no problem with mine but they did make whatever adjustment they deemed necessary. It took about an hour and was painless, got a free car wash in the process.

Anyone considering an Optima I say "Go for it!" I'm really happy with mine.

Been busy selling my condo on the coast and it's closing escrow in about a week or so. I will receive a fairly substantial windfall, maybe put in a new pool and remodel my kitchen, I may even buy a new pickup but I intend to drive my Optima for quite a while yet - really love it. -SK
    I figured you were OK and your Optima was OK just hadn't heard anything from you in several weeks. Yes, selling a place is a very busy task. I understand now why you've been away from here. The recalls (2) on my '99 Sephia were also of precautionary mode and very painless to wait for. They seem to average about an hour and there's plenty of cars to look at, TV to watch,etc. The treatment with my Sephia from my dealer has always been very helpful. Sounds like your Optima is a great car. I love the looks of Kia's flagship car and your input has been very helpful. Enjoy and hope all goes well with your sale and then shopping afterwards. That's always fun!

• schaeffzschaeffz Member Posts: 18
    Bought it yesterday, celebrated with fireworks!
    Crisswell Kia, Gaitherburg MD, supposedly the #2 Kia dealer in the US, only had seven on the lot!
    My local Kia dealer, Don Phillips, Frederick MD had two, upscale models.
    Other local dealers in Hagerstown and Westminster only have a few upscalers also.
    I lucked out at Criswell with an LX, 4-cyl, auto, in beautiful shimmering Gold!
    I'm having them put on a cruise control.
    The minimum model is fine, but seems hard to get.
    Got a couple hundred off because my wife really wanted Steel Blue, but she settled on the Gold.
    My test drives of the V6 vs. I4...the V6 runs smoother and quieter in city stops&gos. But the I4 is plenty peppy. On the Interstate, I noticed very little difference, even in passing pick-up. I didn't play with the V6's "+/-" shifter.
    On the road price, $16100 (plus MD 5% tax-ugh!).
    Comfy, quiet on the road, smooth over the bridge seams, and I think my wife is quickly getting over her Steel-Blue-fixation, and is taking all the comments about how nice the Gold looks to heart.
    So...I like it for all the manly reasons, my wife likes it for all the womanly reasons, and my 15-year-old daughter even likes it and can't wait to start her Driver Training so she can be seen driving around town in it!
    I'll be watching here for comments about maintenance and performance and will add my 2-cents as time goes on.
    I really love my Optima.
    But...there is a problem.
    The trunk "floor" is made of a flimsy thin pressboard.
    I noticed this when I checked out the car on the lot, but it didn't concern me then.
    Since, I have used the trunk several times to cart stuff around.
    When I placed a small but heavy object in the trunk, at a relatively unsupported spot, the "floor" bowed. If I had dropped the object, it may well have broken thru.
    I intend on reinforcing the floor with a sub-floor of 1/4-inch pressboard or plywood.
    Meanwhile, I parked it one day beside a Gold Lexus, and the Optima gleams much more than the Lexus!
    Edmunds has finally published their road test. Mostly good things to say. I don't remember seeing anything in the article about the Optima being the Sonata's sister. Maybe I just missed it, but it should've been clearly and specifically pointed out. Writer lost credibility with me.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That road test giowa mentions is now linked in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page - check it out and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    and the review leaves a Kia enthusiast feeling confirmation of the fact that this midsize entry from Kia merits serious further consideration. It would definitely be the step up I would take if I decide to go bigger in size next new car. The review if very favorable(I'd recommend reading it)and the negatives either wouldn't apply or I could live with them. I'd rather have an honest review though than a sugar-coated one. The upper picture of the silver Optima was a definite printout for me to go in my collection of car pictures. A handsome new car it is. Giowa-it's true no mention was made of the platform sharing with Sonata. We can't just assume everyone knows, either, judging by what I've read on Optima from other reviews and sites. Kia's done a fine job and should be proud of this good looking well performing new midsize car.

Still enjoying driving the Optima!
    We bought it as a third car, to begin putting fewer miles on my aging minvan.
    Still, my wife seems to be putting excess miles on the Optima!
    She seems to enjoy it too much!!!
    Frankly, if I wanted to spend $23K on a car, I would have gone with a Honda or Toyota and put in a few more $K's, for proven reliability and resale value.
    But...I bought a lower-end Optima. Knowing that the basic mechanical diferrences between the LX and SE are small, I opted for a car with some comfy "luxuries", yet inexpensive compared to what I could get in a base Hon or Toy, or even Taurus. Optima has filled this niche for me.
    Now it seems that Edmond's, and probably other reviewers, will opt for an up-scale Optima to review. Most reviews I think will end up the same as my statement above. Why not throw in a few extra $$ and get a Hon and Toy.
    If Kia is smart and wants to sell lots of Optima's, they should target guys like me, basically poor yet smart, and ship more lower-end versions. Most Optimas on the lots now are high-end equiped.
    Just my two cents.
    hello all ,just got my new optima, and i luv it,SE V6 BLACK W BEIGE LEATHER PACKAGE AND ABS,COST 22,314-GOT FOR 20,900 +TAX MV FEES.TRADED IN CONTOUR.GETTING LOTS OF COMPLIMENTS AND DOUBLE LOOKS.LOOKS AWESOME IN BLACK WITH THE LEATHER , SEATS VERY COMFY(FROM XG 300)VERY HAPPY WITH MY CHOICE AND ITS LIKE THE COMMERCIAL,I REALLY CANT STOP LOOKING AT IT!TALK TO YOU SOON
  • nycjokesternycjokester Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at buying a brand new 2001 Kia Optima LX. I am just looking for other opinions from people about the car that I am seriously considering purchasing. My dealer is in NY and believe it or not, i have had a hard time finding a dealer that comes close to matching my current offer.

It is a 4Dr, Automatic transmission, Passive alarm installed, AM/FM Stereo Cassette/CD player, Cruise Control, Carpeted Floor Mats,Dual Front Air bags, Side airbags, first aid kit, air conditioning, 60/40 rear seat, Power locks/mirrors/windows, dual front/rear cupholders, tilt steering wheel,etc

Price being offered is $14,595. I just want opinions on if I am being taken for a ride or if I am getting a good deal. First impression is that its a steal but want to know first hand from people that are currently driving one. Its a 4 Cylinder also.
  • ronald15ronald15 Member Posts: 21
    Kia dealers in the Boston zone are discounting over $3500 off MSRP. Ex: MSRP $15,829. Discount $3580, Selling price $12,249.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    Is that with the same equip as nycjokester mentioned?If so,I say hop a plane to Boston jokester.
  • ronald15ronald15 Member Posts: 21
    The price I quoted was for a base model. With the equipment nycjokester listed, the price is around the high 13's not including the alarm system.
    1) Dealers in the Baltimore/DC area are advertising $14595, about "invoice", for the base LX with 5-speed. But... they don't have any on their lots! They are baiting people in. In my checks with dealers throughout the area, few had lower-end LX models with automatic and 4-cyl. I think I lucked out when I found one at about 5% over "invoice". Using autopedia.com you can get a list of dealers near you. Most have web-sites and some allow you to look at their inventory. Saves driving all over creation looking on lots. Also, phone calls don't always get you accurate info on what is in inventory.
    2) Anyway, after 1000 miles, my Optima is doing nicely. Since my wife insists on always driving, I prefer to sit in the back seat on jaunts around town, letting my 15-year-old daughter sit in the front seat. Its one way to get points with her that I can hopefully cash in when Algebra homework comes due.
    3) Another complaint though. The trunk lid opens nicely out of the way to let you get big things in. But, when it is raining and there is water nicely beaded on the trunk lid, it rolls down over the back edge of the lid into the trunk getting thingsa little wet.
    4) The dealer-installed cruise control works nicely. The only issue here is that it is the same off-the-shelf cruise control that I installed myself on my Dodge Caravan several years ago. My initial look in the crowded Optima engine compartment intimidated me to the point where I agreed to pay the dealer to install it. But looking at the job now, I think I could have done it, since the parts fit nicely in the engine compartment. But I'm older and not as nimble crawling under the dashboard and maybe the extra money was worth it.
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I'm lookin at an Optima SE 4cyl...no leather...what is a fair price? I'm in North Carolina. Is 16K fair?