Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 1994buzz1994buzz Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 MPV is great but....
    After driving on the highway for around 5 minutes I start to hear a strange buzzing or humming noise up front. You can only hear it when you are accelerating. If you stop at a stop light and then start up again the noise is at its most obvious. If you get off the highway and drive around the city for a while the noise goes away. At one point I took it on to a quiet part of highway and went 140 km/h for about 10 minutes. The sound was fairly loud at this point. I stopped, got out and looked under the hood. I gave the engine a bit of gas and could hear the noise well, (normally you can't hear the noise under the hood), it really seemed like an exhaust noise. When this noise happens there seems to be no affect on the performance and the vehicle runs perfectly otherwise. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet. I would like to figure out what it could be first. Anyone have any ideas.
  • quest132kquest132k Member Posts: 17
    my guess is fuel pump about to fail...
  • legaladylegalady Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my Quest and several of my friends have had this problem. We all were told the same thing. When you put say 87 octane in your tank it may really have been 86 or not quite 87 so your engine light comes on when the fuel circulates. The auto people told all of us to put in one tank of better octane and after about 25 starts the light will go off by itself. They also said the 25 starts doesn't have to be 25 trips. They suggested I start my van, turn it off and do this 3 or 4 times and when I got to 25 restarts it turned off. This occurred several times and the restarts always did the trick. Also, when you put your gas cap back on be sure it "clicks" a few times to create the correct vacuum seal for your vehicle.
  • toby_laitoby_lai Member Posts: 22
    Hi there,

I have a 2001 LX with 30,000+ miles on it. For the past month or so I've been experiencing symtoms that sort of indicate the original struts are being worn out - the ride is not as stable as before (during suspension rebound especially) and there is considerable nose dive during braking. I then realized that all four tires were under inflated at around 33psi (I normally keep them at 35). The unstable ride and nose dive effects seem to have been lessened after I inflated the tires back to 35psi, but I still think the ride is definitely softer (in a way that is not as stable) compare to when I first thought the ride was a little stiff after first bought the van. How long do the stock struts last in general? Have anyone replaced their OEM struts that soon, at 30k miles? I thought struts should last longer than that, and I understand the lifespan of struts depend on driving conditions/habits. I will admit I'm not the most "easy going" driver on the road (thanks to the responsive handling the MPV possess), but I sure do not want to believe the OEM struts are shot already at 30k miles.

Another thing I should mention, I had the front tires replaced (they were Dunlop's before) at around 28,000 miles when I experienced vibration from the front. The ones I'm riding on in the front now are Generals. Could the different brand of tires affect the handling characteristics so much that, it gives you the impressions that you're riding on bad struts?

I've spoke to my nearby dealer and my '01 LX is already out of warranty (technically over the 3-yr period), so none of the parts/components on the car are convered anymore. Anyone has any idea/opinion? Thanks.

tl
  • bernabbernab Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 MPV with less than 6000 miles on it and our transmission gave out while I was driving on the highway. It would not go into any gears, not even reverse. i read that other people had transmissions replaced. How long did it take? They have had our vehicle for sometime and not sure when we are getting it back.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    From experience with my '01 the MPV is very sensitive to tire pressure and possibly brand of tires.
    Mine came with Yoko's which weren't bad. I changed to Michelin Symmetry at 30K miles. That changed the handling. It took me a month before I found the right tire pressure for these (37psi) and the van handled fine after that. I was disappointed with the tire wear and noise but handling was still good. I just put on two Goodyear Assurance tires on the front and not sure I like them yet. They are smooth, 80K warranty but the handling changed - again. I might have to mess with the tire pressures on these too. I'm not a General Tire fan so I won't comment about yours.... :))
    I just rolled past 71K miles and haven't seen evidence of shock or strut wear yet. I drive 95% at highway speeds so lack of a lot of cornering, potholes, etc., might play a factor in my case.
  • brianb1brianb1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello i bought a 94mpv 82K mi. I need a tech manuel. can I download from an internet site? also i have a clicking noise on the drivers side above the valve cover,( the Port shaped like a backwards c) i do not think it is a lifter because the clicking in not consistant, but it sounds just like a lifter. And also what kind of v6 is this all I know it says 18 valve v6
  • rizo6801rizo6801 Member Posts: 2
    Just about brand new MPV 04 ES Bought it from Galphin Mazda in Valencia California Already had it in the the first oil change on time @ about 4500 which the Mazda tech said that's fine. Now about a month ago the Tranny started slipping now its to the point that when you are taking off from a light & the card is shifting into 3rd it will gerk the car & when doing around 50mph if you give it gas the RPM will race up a little til it catches gear. There is even a burning smell coming from somewhere under the hood alomst like rubber. Checked the fluids they are all fine. Its covered up to 50k so I'm going to take it in I just have not had the time & they won't let me drop it off on a Friday & give me a loaner over the week end because they say the car won't be worked on for 2 days & we can't let you drive a loaner for that long...Comon I just bought a brand new van from you! Anyone have any Ideas as to what it could be that is causing this...

Thanks

Chris
    t
  • rizo6801rizo6801 Member Posts: 2
    Have an 04 bought from Galphin Mazda in Valencia CA Aug 1st has about 7500 miles on it & its starting to have tranny problems as well. From what you are saying it sounds like Mazda will not do anything if I take it into them. Just wanted to know if you have any more info. I have also noticed a burning smell coming from some where under the hood almost like rubber. This started a little after the tranny started acting up.

Thanks,

Chris
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I just replaced the original Dunlops at 38K miles on my MPV. They were worn bad, although even. I replaced with Bridgestone Turanza's and it seems to have much better ride and traction. The Dunlops did not last long by my thinking...should last closer to 45K miles at least!! The tire dealer carries Dunlops but stated that they really do not last long on tread life.

Heater: Anyone else have problems getting heat? I turn the dial up and it seems to take forever to get heat to come out. Is this the thermostat or is it the temp control??

Thanks, TC
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    How long has it had this problem? Does your vehicle have rear heat? Mazda has put out some TSB's(Technical Service Bulletins)reguarding lack of heat.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mirekskimirekski Member Posts: 2
    I have 97 MPV 4x4 with 170,000 kms. So far so good. Live in Canada, cold. The only thing I have noticed is that my self adjusting shocks went last week. Do you know about replacement?
    Mirek
  • mirekskimirekski Member Posts: 2
    I have 97 MPV, and I have that misfire (according to the code reader I bought) on the cylinder 1. But this is minor and sometimes goes away with warma up
    Mirekski
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Rizo mentioned a burning smell from under the hood. This happened to our 2004 MPV ES a couple of weeks ago, but it only happened one time, right after I changed the oil (interesting). Anyway, we haven't noticed it since. The smell was sort of like combination of hot brake smell and overcooked electronics. We haven't noticed anything wrong with the vehicle.
  • mgrunzemgrunze Member Posts: 2
    I have had many instances of my Mazda MPV 1997 model not being able to start. Have had to have it towed in several times and by the time it got to the garage it started just fine. Have replaced everything but the computer and still no luck. However, we were finally told to add upper cylinder cleaner to the gas tank and run a tank of high octane gas every third time or so.
     It is now on its third week of starting, with no problems. However, its done this before. I won't agree that its fixed until it's OK for three more weeks. It does seem to run much better though. My uneducated guess is that some sensor was cleaned and now it might work.
    Interested in other experiences, but bought a Ford in the meantime as a backup.
  • mgrunzemgrunze Member Posts: 2
    Don't buy if driving in snow or ice is part of your yearly routine. Had a 1994 with rear wheel drive and had to be towed from my driveway. Also, our babysitters refused to drive it in winter. Loved the Mazda though and ended up buying two more with four wheel drive to solve the problem. We're in Chicago area.
    Go ahead and buy that MPV if driving in snow or ice. Front wheel drive with traction control is all you'll likely need....come with 16 or 17 inch tires. MPV is very popular in Canada.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Yes, my MPV has the 4 season package and rear heat and AC.
    How long ago did THAT bulletin come out? Man, you've got to stay up on all these 'secret' issues on this vehicle!!
    Thanks, Tom
    I had read that someone had replaced the cabin air filter themselves. If they are on this thread, please explain how much was involved in doing it yourself. I know the filter is $27 at the Mazda dealer and it's located behind the glove box....

Also, how often is the tranny fluid suppose to be changed? The manual does not state anything on this issue and the dealer said around 50000 miles!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Calling all MPV owners... every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU thre tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • jchangjchang Member Posts: 4
    I have exactly same problem. Can you tell me more detail to fix it? Thanks!
    Dunlop tires that come on the MPV's suck.
    They only last 30K miles and then go bald. Notorious for this. I replaced with Bridgstone Turanza's and they have GREAT traction in snow and water. Ride nice too!

Heater thing, not sure yet. Need to chat with my 'friendly boys' at the Mazda place.

Still waiting for someone to reply on how to replace that cabin filter thing behind the glove box....?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I've seen instructions for replacing the cabin filter elsewhere on the 'net. Unfortunately, Edmunds doesn't allow linking to that club forum, so I'll do my best to explain it (and without pictures that it has).

Open glovebox. Locate and remove numerous screws for glovebox. Remove glovebox. Filter is against the firewall on the right. Locate the tab on the filter door and pry it open. Remove used filter media and replace with the appropriate one (either a 2 piece unit or a 1 piece filter). Reverse process to reassemble.

And yes, the tires are not the greatest. But, FWD and being a minivan does take it's toll on tires.

-Brian
  • rhett135rhett135 Member Posts: 1
    We also have a 2004 MPV with under 6k and have experienced very rough shifting but no failure. Took it in and the dealer said there was a recall (not sure if he meant bulletin or really a recall) MSPO3 for 'transmission shift shock'. The fix was just to re-flash the tranny control module. I pick it up today and will see if its any better. But you might want to look into this.
    Regards, Terry
    it's not a recall, but a TSB for reflashing the TCM. I've read that this seems to address the issue. Our '02 hasn't had the issue though, fwiw.

-Brian
    That is old news and has been an issue on this board since the 03's came out. I had mine reflashed several times before the official reflash came out in Jan. of this year. Mine has been fine since. The 03-04 MPV's have been notorious for the tranny problems. At least they finally have a fix. I waited 9 months for the real deal until last Jan.
  • alex86alex86 Member Posts: 3
    The accelerator pedal on our 2001 MPV LX (with 40k miles) has been "sticky" for a few months now. The problem seems to go away after it warms up, but it's a continuing problem. Anyone else having this problem, and have a fix?
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Trussville Mazda mazda has free shipping till the Dec/25/04 and they have these cabin air filters for under $20 for 00-04 models. They are not all on their website, so you will have to call them. Get ready your VIN when you call them as there was mid year change on 02s in the filter shape. I ordered two from them and also set of rear and front mudguards as their price is cheapest you can find, I hope to install those mud guards before our upcomming trip to the snow areas. ;-)
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • bigtex3bigtex3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a cure for the moaning? Mine just started last month.
  • sidiggiesidiggie Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 LX with the factory installed radio/ single CD player. Lately the sound will shut off on its own then come back on. Any recommendations?
    Does the radio/CD shut off, or just the volume cut out? Could be a connection issue at the back of the radio. And you are likely still under warranty.

-Brian
  • mpvntexasmpvntexas Member Posts: 1
    New to the forum. We purchased a 2004 MPV back in July and have been having constant trouble with the hard shift between 2nd and 3rd. Van is currently at dealership for fourth time. Of course problem is not easily reproduced and has not been observed by the service dept. They have reflashed the TCM once and also have replaced a valve. Our van has only 8200 miles on it. We are currently waiting for dealership call to see what the "fix" is this time. Any new service bulletins that anyone knows of would be appreciated.
  • kelticstarkelticstar Member Posts: 1
    My '94 2WD MPV 6cyl seems to have a short. After running only a short distance with any accessory on the van will not restart without a boost. Have replaced the battery but the problem continues to exist. I notice that ewhen I press the brake pedal, even when turned off and the key removed, the instrument lights come on. The other day the ABS warnig light flicked on and off a few times but there does not seem to be anything wrong with the brakes.

Any ideas of where I should start to look in the wiring maze.

Thanks for any advice

Bob Upshon

Shediac, NB, Canada
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • chgotransplantchgotransplant Member Posts: 1
    My '01 MPV with ~54K mi. has been paid off for 6 months and now I have my 1st big repair bill. I was driving for about a week with a "rough idle." Then the check engine light was flashing at me as I drove to work one day and took it to the mechanic that night. He said there were so many things wrong with it but listed 4 things to do immediately: 1) replace a cracked crank case 2) flush fuel injection 3) tune up 4) replace 3 bad tires. I chose to do 1-3. I have 3 new tires and am PO'ed that they look bad. Without the new tires, 1-3 is costing $1100 including diagnostics.

Has anyone else had a problem with a cracked crank case? I've had several cars (actual cars, not minivans) and have never had a cracked crank case.
    I don't know about the crank case. But, it seems odd he would recommend replaceing 3 tires instead of all 4. Also, if you have 3 "new" tires that are looking bad...I would have the suspension and wheels inspected. Also again... flushing the fuel injection and tune up at only 54k is a little early.If you don't feel you can trust this mechanic I would consider a second opinion.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Cracked crankcase? Where? That sounds a little odd unless you're racing the quater mile circuits turning 9000 RPMs. My only experience with a cracked crankcase (not MPV..) was when one of the pistons decided to go south during my "older racing days".

Flushing the fuel system won't hurt especially if the fuel you are using comes from Fred's Fast Fuel Emporium @ 85 cents a gallon....

I agree with Jipster - see another mechanic about the crankcase and take a look for yourself on that.
  • mattnjmattnj Member Posts: 3
    Stay away from any subsidary of the Ford Motor Company!
    Had the same problem and now I pay over $3000 at aamco!
    Anyone else wont to sign up?!
    Matt-New Jersey
  • edmanedman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 MPV with the same sticky pedal problem. What is involved removing carbon build up on the throttle valve and pivots? How are they cleaned? Is this simple to do?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Throttle body cleaning is easy to do on my Quest. Here's a link to a couple of posts that describe the process:

steve_, "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems" #1688, 27 Dec 2004 10:52 pm

It should be easy enough to adapt to the MPV. There may be some Mazda specific posts in here too (try Search This Discussion).

Steve, Host
  • dszkldszkl Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can get a second row aftermarket bench seat that can fit 3? I have 3 kids all in car seats and dont want them in the 3rd row. If I cant find a bench, I am going to have to lose out and buy a different vehicle and I love the MPV. Thanks for any help.
  • mkellymkelly Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 MPV with 24,000 on it. Bought it new. Never had any kind of problem, except for now. Sometimes when you drive it, there is this hum coming from the air box. If you pop open the top two clips to open the box, the hum get louder. It's defintely coming from there. Any ideas?
    I checked mpvclub and found a TSB stating that it's likely the IAC - idle air control valve. Though, you're likely out of warranty now.

-Brian
  • mkellymkelly Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info.....where would i find that tsb? is that an emission control device? isn't that a 5yr/60,000 warranty?
  • ascott4ascott4 Member Posts: 3
    New owner of a 2004 MVP. Have 5100 miles on it. When backing up first thing in the morning, get a squeaking noise from applying brakes. At first oil change, dealer said this is normal and the pads are damp with rust and to slightly put on E brake to get rid of squeak. Did not sound like a good answer for a $27,000 van that is waking up the neighborhood in the morning when backing up. Is there anyone who knows what to do beside the dealer's service manager? Thanks awscott4
    there is a TSB to replace the brake pads for this particular symptom.

-Brian
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    it's really freaking loud! The TSB number is 04-007/04. If your dealer won't perform the TSB find another dealer, or call Mazda customer service. My van is in the shop right now waiting for the parts. They've got me in a rental, which is always a joy. Last time I got a Ford Freestar, which was an unmitigated pile of junk. This time I got an enormous 15 passenger Ford van. Unbelievable. I'll probably go turn in the rental and just take my van back until the parts come in.

-Jason
  • jeffreytjeffreyt Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 that I got in September. It's been making this noise for months. Haven't gotten it to the dealer yet - was hoping it would wear away somehow. Glad to know there's a solution. My 00 and 03 MPV's didn't have this problem ever.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I'm a little surprised they wouldn't have tested the pads for cold weather performance, but that explains why the problem didn't occur on '00-'03 models.

-Jason
This discussion has been closed.