Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
Check out both Kia's web site and September 2000
issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine to learn about Kia's
upcoming release of their new Optima sedan, their
version of Hyundai's Sonata. Web site has a
picture. To come out with engines now in use in
Sonata: 2.4L I-4 and 2.5L V-6.

Will be interesting to see how Hyundai and Kia try
to differentiate and market these two corporate
cousins. Check out Sonata postings to get flavor
of how us Sonata owners feel about our cars.

Will the Kia steal sales from Hyundai, which has
seen them explode in U.S. over past year? Will
anyone even notice that Kia has a larger sedan?
Only time will tell.

Comments

• jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    car they started selling in Australia in 1998,
    then it is definitely better looking than Sonata.
    can you please post the website.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Wow! The Credos is definitely the looker of the bunch. Are you sure it's another Sonata clone? If it is true, Kia really should bring this version to these shores.

BTW, I notice Kias now carry the same excellent warranty as the Hyundai Advantage. Even though I worry a little about the two name plates vying for the same customer pool, I think HMA stands to gain a bigger market share in the long run. That is, as long as HMA design enough differentiation between the two cars. Examples:

1. Give Sonata more "upscale" trim packages and make Optima the entry level value winner, a la Audi A4 and the VW Passat.

2. Tune the Optima as a family sedan with a compliant ride, and tweak the Sonata into a no-compromise sports 4dr sedan.

3. Differentiate various models with engine choices:

Optima: 2.4L I4 standard, 2.5L V6 optional
    Sonata: 2.5L V6 standard, 2.7L V6 optional

In addition, make an "ultimate" Sonata model in the same vein as the Audi S-cars and BMW M-cars. Force-feed the 2.5L V6 with twin turbo chargers or shoehorn the 3.0L V6 from the XG300 into it. 1" lowered sport suspension and 17" alloys shod with 235/40ZR17s. Call it the Requiem, for the other imports, that is.

Uhh... sorry about the puddle of drool. Let me clean that up here. :-)
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Couldn't agree more; however, after surfing around world at Korean, European, Australian, and US Hyundai web sites I'm struck by fact Hyundai has yet to create a "real" sports car or sports sedan. Not sure they'd know how to create a Sonata Sport Sedan. As the proud owner of a '96 Chevy Impala SS I know what such a car can do for a brand as well as attracting buyers. At very least, Hyundai could create a sportier Sonata by selling one that came only with 2.5/2.7L V-6, 5-speed manual, ABS & traction control, 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes, 16" performance tires and suspension tweak, fog lights, spoiler, sunroof, and CD. Only options would be leather & power seat. Limited it to only about 4 exterior colors (say red, blue, green, & silver) and only 1 interior color (black or darker grey), and possibly have a sport seat. This could be easily done. And the price could likely be kept around $21,000 US. My GLS V-6 w/5-speed & Pkg 13 is somewhat along this line but needs tire & suspension upgrade and better brakes. Then let Kia keep to a simpler, cheaper strategy.

Kia should be to Hyundai as Chevrolet is to Pontiac. Let Kia sell more on price/value and Hyundai on sport & luxury. But they have to be careful to preserve real price and option differentials. If they are mere clones, they'll drag down each other's sales by cannibalizing at each other's dealers. Lower per unit per dealer sales would cripple expansion plans.
    The KIA's sold in Australia are all great looking cars. The Sephia equivalent is called the Mentor
    and it looks great too. I have seen these cars in person when I was living in Sydney. I just do not understand why KIA is not bringing them to USA.
    Instead they choose to sell you bland cars kinda like Honda and Toyota. Are American tastes this
    bland? Check out the KIA Mentor (Sephia Equivalent)

http://www.kia.co.nz/mentor.htm

http://www.kia.co.nz/Credos.htm
    You should add more detail to your Edmunds profile. Do you live in US or Aus? What car(s) do you drive? Want?

Not sure I'd say American tastes are bland. Unfortunately our market is moving away from cars to trucks, SUVs, and vans. I don't care for any of these. Give me a sports car or sports sedan any day!

Though this isn't politically correct, I believe another terrible problem in US is that most cars are automatics. Far too many (if not most) driver education programs don't even use manual transmissions. My wife along with lots of other wives in my rural Iowa town routinely tell me they can't drive sticks and don't want to learn.

About 80 plus percent of our cars and even higher percentages of SUVs, trucks, and vans come with slushboxes. Try to find a 4-door V-6 with manual transmission. Good luck. Whole models no longer come with manuals (e.g., Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala/Malibu, Cadillacs, etc.). That is why it is absolutely critical for both Hyundai and Kia to build and adequately market sufficient V-6s with manuals.

Americans have forgotten how fun cars can be to drive when they have a manual transmission. Since too few view cars for their driving pleasure, we don't get them styled to appeal to that same side. Maybe that leads to blandness?

All I know from the history books is that the 60s muscle car era had lots of powerful cars that could be ordered with manuals and they had style. We lost it when the era died and are slowly recovering from the dead 70s and 80s.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Where have you been? Living under a rock possibly? The Kia Sephia and Spectra are the exact same cars as the Australian Mentor 4 door and 5 door sedans respectively. They didn't change the styling to fit "bland" US tastes. They simply brought over the same exact car that they offer elsewhere.
    Well if you bothered to look at the Mentor pictures I posted it looks nowhere near a Sephia.
    Sorry.
    http://www.kia.co.nz/mentor.htm
    Both interior and exterior of Mentor is better than Sephia.

BTW, I used to live in Australia between 1995-1998. I owned a Daewoo Cielo back then. Currently
    I own a Daewoo Leganza and a Daewoo Nubira.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/cybercast/2000autoshows/sflias/images/mvc-139s.jpg

http://www.theautochannel.com/cybercast/2000autoshows/sflias/images/mvc-147s.jpg

BTW my very first car was KIA built Ford Festiva
    and I drove it for 4 years with Zero mechanical
    problems.
    I agree Hyundai could use an "image car", especially here in the States. The fabulous warranty and much improved quality is starting to win over car buyers, but sales numbers along isn't enough to shake the cheap car stigma.

I think that is exactly HMA's intention for introducing the XG300. From what I've read, Hyundai Motors has been wanting to bring an upscale vehicle range to NA for a while now but have been apprehensive about its own quality control and NA public acceptance. I think the timing could not be better.

I think you're right that Hyundai doesn't have a lot of experience with high-end sports cars, although Hyundai Motorsports has been campaigning a successful Tiburon Rally team. So that may be changing soon.

Hyundai does have experience, however, building luxury cars, so perhaps they are moving upscale from that end with the XG. It's a smart decision. We'll just have to wait for the sports sedan a little longer.

BTW, I also agree about the proliferation of slushboxes on this continent. I have so far owned only 5sp vehicles - the Sonata is no exception. I'm very fortunate to have found a wife that comes with 5sp driving ability, standard. :-)
    My guess as to why some of the most popular cars here in America are bland looking is that for a long time through the 80's and early 90's, the overriding concern of most car buyers had been reliability. Having been stung bad with the deplorable Detroit automobiles of the 70's, they flocked to the Japanese cars, which are very reliable but a little shy in the styling department.

That is changing now though. Thanks to the seemingly undying economic boom, people are starting to demand style to go with the reliability. Witness the popularity of the New Beetle and the PT Cruizer. Both are from makers still at the bottom of just about everybody's reliability scale, but sell like hotcakes nonetheless.

Okay, I'd better shut up now. Boy, did I go off-topic. What was the topic again? ;-)
    You must be blind. I did look at your link. I just double checked again. The red car in the front, which is the Mentor 5 door hatch, is the exact same car looks wise as the Spectra 5 door hatch sold here. If you don't believe me than try going to www.kia.com and see for yourself! The Spectra has the same four circular headlights and the same turn signal location. The 2 cars are exactly alike. The only difference is the hubcap design and US cars do not have the side marker lights on the front fenders. The light beige car in the back is the exact same car as the Sephia sedan, except for the side marker lights again and the Sephia has orange colored front turn signals instead of the Mentor's clear ones. Those very minor exterior differences do not make the cars look completely different.
    As far as the interior, sorry mate, they have the same dashboard design and switch locations. The only difference is the color of the cloth and possibly the dashboard. Otherwise, once again, the Mentor and Sephia/Spectra are exactly alike. I think you are a bit blinded by your undying love for the Australian car market and how much better your perceive it to be than the US market. I suggest opening 2 browsers so you can compare the 2 websites at the same time and see for yourself that they are the same cars.
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    The 4dr Mentor is a Sephia, the 5dr Liftback Mentor is a Spectra. Its pretty clear from the picture you posted and picture from KIA USA. lngtonge18 is right about that.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    jkobty is always posting in the mazda protege forums about how much better daewoo is than the protege. he has even gone so far as to say that daewoo is better than mercedes-benz and bmw. the guy is not all there, i think...
    Thanks for your support guys. I knew I was not the crazy one :)
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    wonderwall, give jkobty a break. Besides, I agree that Daewoo is better than M-B and BMW, for the money anyway. And for the record, Kia's Sephia is based on older version of Mazda Protege (323). Credos is based on newer version of Mazda 626. Kia and Mazda go way back. Mazda owned 10% of Kia and we all know that Ford owns controlling stake in Mazda. It appears that Hyundai wants to break off all ties with Mazda/Ford and basically make KIA a division of Hyundai. Sort of like VW/Audi, except in this case Hyundai owns KIA, not like Audi owning VW. I belive Hyundai is making all the right moves recently. It takes a big commitment for a company to offer best warranty in the business without the best product in the business. Extending the same to lower KIA is even more impressive, bordering on reckless.
    Sorry guys, but I did not see the Spectra before.
    The Spectra is indeed the same as Mentor. Sephia
    is different though. I did not know KIA started selling Spectra. The current Spectra(MEntor) model
    has been available in Australia since 1998.
    And yes I love the Australian car market. It has more car choices. Can I get an Alfa Romeo Twin spark in USA? Can I get a Peugeot or a Renault
    or a SEAT or a FIAT or a Citroen? Have you seen the cars Ford and GM are coming up with in Australia? When I arrived in Canada in 1998 I was really depressed when I went out car shopping. All
    I saw were ugly boxes. Sorry to go off topic,
    but I really do wish I was still living in Sydney.
    Too bad that my wife's entire family lives in Canada.
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    I know what you mean. Sydney is beautiful indeed. My only problem with Australia is that they drive on the wrong side of the road. Otherwise, the food is great, prices are reasonable, people are friendly, and so on and so forth.
    Checked out the AutoSpeed.com Australian car magazine web site mentioned in one of the early postings. Has an interesting road test of the Hyundai Grandeur XG, Aus version of our forthcoming XG 300. While they rave about many things they absolutely pan the suspension. I think this characteristic is a weakness in the Sonata as well. Suspensions are an area Hyundai needs help with. They should partner with one of the European companies that provide such engineering assistance (e.g., Lotus, Porsche, etc.).

If Hyundai can't get its suspensions to behave with more sophistication, then all the luxury accoutrements won't help it win luxury laurels. Luxury buyers don't want wallowy, floaty rides. They want precision and control, though not at the price of excessive harshness.

This is the type area Hyundai needs to keep in mind when trying to differentiate Kia from Hyundai. Kia should be the softer, floatier, more US interstate-type ride while Hyundai moves both to more sporty version as well as more controlled luxury version. I pray they don't just use same suspension/tire setting for both makes. :)
    I've always said that the one thing I don't quite like in the Sonata's dynamics is the not-so-communicative steering. I can understand why Hyundai tuned the suspension the way they did, though. Afterall, it is marketed as a family sedan and not a canyon carving machine. I really do think Sonata's ride and handling is on target with the intended audience, even if I personally prefer a more lively setting.

Curiously, I actually prefer the suspension setup of the Sonata base GL to that of the GLS. The GL seemed more stable and composed at highway speeds (50-70mph). I don't think I'm injecting any ownership bias into this, as I had arrived at this impression from test drives even before I bought my car. Perhaps it's the different shocks, the tire/wheel combinations or maybe the weight distribution due to different engines. I'm not sure.

I don't think Hyundai could do wrong by giving the Optima the same suspension settings, but I agree it would be better to differentiate the pair a little more than just sheetmetal.
    So far your posts here have been civil and informative. You have your opinions but, then again, we are all entitled to ours, no? I'm not sure I care what alleged flame wars you were involved in other forums. I myself have been flambeed in many. :-) For that matter, I don't care if you've whupped Jean Claud Van Damme's behind in a bar brawl and lost two teeth in the process. Hmm... heck, if you actually did I'd like to hear about it. :-D

Point is, unless any of us are blatantly flame baiting here, I'd like to hear y'all's opinions.
    Have you ever read the September 1999 Car and Driver comparison test of eight mid-sized sedans? The Hyundai came in last, mainly because it was solidly panned in regard to its handling. I think the article was a bit harsh but not inaccurate. Per Frank Marcus: "I feel like a bumbling novice because I can't place this car accurately. There's a vintage-Americana isolation that muffles all communication from what is, in fact, a sophisticated control-arm suspension." John Phillips: "The lack of roll control, combined with too much steering gain just off-center, relegated the Sonata to least-fun-to-drive status, tied with the [Chevrolet] Malibu... It's taken Hyundai only 10 years to assemble all the requisite high-tech parts...but the company needs to find someone to teach those parts to talk to one another."

That is the sort of fine tuning I'm talking about. Maybe the Kia would keep the beginner's suspension set up. Hyundai doesn't need to makes its version overly aggressive. Just need to give it a bit more composure. Then, once they have done that, Hyundai could add a harder, sportier sport sedan version.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy driving my GLS V-6 w/5-speed and ABS. Just took me a while to get to know the suspension's quirks and foibles. All cars have them. Once I did, and knew what she could and couldn't comfortably do, I now find her fun to drive. Some of the "fun", though, comes from fact she needs more driver skill to get her to do what comes more naturally to other, more poised vehicles.
    I am a BIG fan of Korean cars. I have been driving Korean cars for 10 years without a single mechanical fault. Have I been lucky? maybe. The
    only car I had mechanical problems with was my wife's ex-car. A chevy Lumina. The power steering
    went at 30,000 miles. The front axle went at 80,000 miles. I immediately traded it in for a 2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX. I am not used to having mechanical problems with my cars. I panicked. But hey I am an idiot right? I drive Korean cars!
    I think Sonata is the BEST value for money on the market today. Daewoo's cost more, but both myself and my wife prefer the styling of the Daewoos.
    My second Korean option personally would be the KIA's. I think the Credos and Spectra look great.
    I actually sat in a Credos at the Sydney auto show
    in 1998. Loved it.
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    jkobty said the Sonata is the BEST value out there!!! Allright, its been recorded and copied over and can be used against him on future encounters!! :) (j/k)

Personally I think KIA is still lagging behind Daewoo and Hyundai in most aspect. I cant phantom how much money Hyundai will be losing after upgrading KIA warranty to 10/100K. Oh well, as long as they can pull it off...
    giowa, yes I read the comparo. Sonata lost out mainly because it was overpowered, literally. C&D editors plainly stated that they are car enthusiasts, for whom absolute performance rank absolutely above all else. In the company of 3.0L and bigger V6's, Sonata's 2.5L has little chance. They also stated, however, that had value and efficiency been higher up in the list of considerations, the Sonata would likely have placed much higher.

jkobty, I must say I agree with you about the Daewoos been better in the styling department. I've always said that Hyundai needs to develop a familial resemblance in all its cars. There is something to be said about the elegance of an enduring corporate facade. Daewoo has done just that with all its cars. Hyundai and Kia really should follow suit.

The Optima will be the "flagship" of Kia's North American fleet. It would be a good chance for it to redefine the styling for the rest of the lineup.
    Article in 8/9/00 edition of NY Times has great news on Hyundai & Kia Motors financial results. For first six months of '00: Hyundai Motor sales rose 40%, to $7.5 billion, with earnings surging to $278 million; Kia Motor sales rose 69%, to $4.3 billion.
    C&D faulted Sonata for "weak low-end torque, slow-to-react [automatic] transmission, oatmeal handling... all the right parts waiting for someone to tune them." Comparison story spent more time on handling issues than anything else. In point totals area Sonata got lowest rating, a 5, for handling; fun to drive rating a 6; engine and transmission both rated at 7.

This article is the perfect explanation for why Sonatas should only be bought with manual transmissions. Buying a manual transmission will completely overcome the problematic automatic transmission and do wonders for acceleration, negating to a great extent the low end torque concern.

However, there's no fixin' the handling issues with any OEM option. That is the key area Hyundia and Kia need to address in both Sonata/Optima and XG 300 platforms. (Aussie review of XG 300 reads like C&D Review of Sonata suspension.)
    8/9/00 edition of London Financial Times also reported on the good news for Hyundai Motor Co.: "Recording its best half-yearly earnings in its 33-year history, the world's seventh biggest vehicle maker's income surged... tripled to a record high... overall sales rose 40% while Kia surged 69%... attributed its record profit to a 49% surge in the North American market, increased exports to Europe, and demand for high-end vehicles in Korea... Kia saw its sales to North America rise 34%. Domestically, its sales rose 131%."

Hope they keep up these results and that it bodes well for new Kia Optima, Hyundai XG 300 & Santa Fe, and the other models slated to come out in near future.
    Motoring 2000 gave Sonata 5 stars out of 5 stars.
    They judged the car on what it really is. A decent family sedan. Trying to judge a family car as a sports sedan is plain rediculous, and a blatant attempt by the media to discourage buyers.
    I have no faith in magazines that rely on advertising for survival. They have to brown nose and kiss [non-permissible content removed] all the time.
    Far too often jaded automotive journalists begin a test drive with a score card already filled out based on their preconceived ideas about the make and model. They then spend the entire test session looking for evidence to back up their scores.

Judging a family sedan by sports sedan standards is indeed preposterous. So too is faulting a car costing $15,000 for being less refined than one stickers for $20,000. I'm sure when the Optima gets reviewed by the car rags, they will undoubtedly find all sorts of excuses to pin the car in what they perceive as the proper pecking order against the other major players.
    I'd like to see the article you reference. Does this publication have a web site? Is the article on line? If so, can you provide the site info? I surfed a bit but my search engines weren't finding any Motoring 2000 from Canada.
    Not a publication. I will try to see if they have a web site
    http://www.motoringtv.com.
    You might find it under video downloads. or archives.
    Been checking out car mags and web sites but seen nothin' further on Optima. Can't wait for MT, C&D, and R&D new car issues to come out in next couple weeks. Hope they have some more details.

At least Hyundai financial results are positive. Financial Times and NY Times both reported last week the Hyundai presented a credible plan to spin off Hyundai Motor Cars and to get the founder to sell off about 6% of the company (he currently owns about 9%). That should ensure financial solvency for many years to come!
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    Actually, sonata,XG300 and optima have a same forms and power trains....

Usually Kia's model have had a fine handling and had a little bit hard suspension...because they had a special relationship with Lotus for a lon time...(almost all kia's suspension was tuned by lotus..) So, handling of kia cars was better than that of hyundais..

On the other hand Hyundai have tuned the suspension by themselves except Tiburon which is completely tuned by porshe...
    Usually Hyundai set their suspension softer than competitors because of Korean's favor... Many koreans prefer soft sus to hard sus....
    Sonata have been a No1 best selling car in Korean domestic market and to sell more car hyundai just follows the major consumers favor...

Anyway..optima..
    Actually I have been in VA for two months as an exchange student...
    So, I haven't seen real optima on the road yet.. but according to the Korean magazine, optima is better than sonata in everything except same powertrain...and of course more expensive than sonata...

Basically it includes
    ABS,AIRBAG
    steptronic 4-speed AT(same one as santa fe use..)
    Trip computer
    Electronic control suspension..
    rain sensor..
    wood steering wheel..
    LCD cluster instrument panel
    GPS Navigator
    CD CHANGER...
    AQS...
    and so on...

The top line of optima's price is almost $20,000 in Korea....
    Check out my recent post at Sonata Pt 3. Some interesting info. Mostly very, very good news, esp. from long-term standpoint.
    Stopped by my local Hyundai dealer recently and picked up 2001 brochures for both XG300 and Sonata. Does anyone know if the Kia Optima brochures are out?

Has anyone seen any firm pricing data? Anyone seen one on road or at a dealer's lot? Thinking they won't be out until Dec or Jan but you never know.
    The 10/16/00 issue of AutoWeek, p. 4, has a small picture of an Optima and the following short statement: "Back home, our friends from Kia introduce their latest, the midsize Optima with a grille that looks a bit like Cadillac's. Image is everything."

Hyundai and Kia need to do a better job getting the word out in the press about the Optima.
    Today's Omaha World-Herald's Automotive Section has an article reprinted from San Antonio Express-News on the Kia Optima. Excerpts:

"will come with either a 2.4L, 4-cylinder engine (149 hp) or a 2.5L V6 (170 hp) ... Two trim levels will be offered: the base LX, which includes AC, PW/PL/PM and intermittent wipers; and the top-of-the-line SE, which adds alloy wheels with Michelin tires, heated exterior mirrors, FOG LIGHTS, moon roof, keyless entry with alarm, cruise control, premium stereo with cassette and CD player, leather-wrapped steering wheel, 8-way power driver's seat and wood interior trim. V6 models get 4-wheel disc brakes, while 4-cylinder models have front discs and rear drums. Standalone options include 4-speed automatic transmission, ABS, cruise control, and leather interior."

Finally fog lights!!! Nice to see that both ABS and leather can be standalone options. Thus people can get ABS without having to go with a Hyundai loaded Pkg 13. Too bad no sport suspension or 16" tire upgrade!!!
    I went to the Orlando car show this weekend and saw the new Optima in person. It is so new they did not even have a price for the car yet. I was very very impressed with it!! The car looks very sharp, much better than the Sonata it is based on. The front has crisp headlamps and an aggressive semi-sporty look, but the crome grille is a bit much. The rear is the best part of the car. It looks sporty and yet very upscale. The taillamps look kind of like the older Avalon or a better version of the Camry's setup. The interior is very luxurious when equipped with the leather and wood trim. The rear seat had plenty of room and both front and rear was comfortable. I was surprised to see that it offers a manumatic auto tranny, which is not available on the Sonata. The doors closed with a solid thunk that was missing from any other Kia product I have been in. I was a bit disappointed to see that ABS is not offered on the 4-cylinder models and no manual is offered with the V-6. However, they do offer a well equipped SE four model that comes standard with alloy wheels, sunroof, power everything including 8 way driver's seat, fog lamps, CD, keyless entry with alarm, wood trim, and leather wrapped steering wheel and can be optioned up with leather. If that model is priced around 16K, Kia may very well have a hit on their hands. I think Kia was smart to clone the Hyundai Sonata as this new Optima is leagues ahead of all the other Kias in terms of refinement, initial build quality, and solidity. I just couldn't get over how impressed I was with its good looks both inside and out. They really designed an attractive looking car that bares very little resemblance to its sister (except the side profile). The Optima may be exactly what Kia needs to improve its image here. I guess most of the credit for the car's overall goodness should go to Hyundai though since they designed the basic platform to begin with. Anyway, the Optima is a very nice car that deserves some attention if in the market for a cheaper alternative to the Camry and Accord. Way to go Hyundai and Kia!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    They had a "first look" at the Optima and it just posted today. I like the way it looks. It's the same mechanicals, etc. as the Sonata though, but I like the Steptronic transmission. But they say even that is coming for 2002 to the Sonata. It might just be what Kia needs to turn around their streak of bad luck. I just hope it doesn't take sales away from Hyundai. Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you know what I mean. :)
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    If you look at all the car comparisons regarding Kia or Hyundai, the main complaint is "poor handling." All they need to do is upgrade the tires and wheels and everything will be fine. Or Kia/Hyundai can send lots of accessory wheel/tire packages for dealers to install.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Kia might not take all that many sales away from Hyundai... I just saw an Optima at the local Kia dealer; it was the I-4 with auto, air, floor mats and CD, and it stickered for $17,100. that's about a grand more than a similarly equipped Sonota (according to Edmunds).

But, there's about 250 miles between the Kia & Hyundai dealer, so I'm guessing I'll see more Kias for now...
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    http://www.kia.co.kr/cybermall/car/optima/sscvt/sscvt_1.htm

It's a CVT transmission.
    However if you put selector on step-tronic mode, you can use 6-speed manual function.

This is $1500 option on top notch model of optima
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Had the opportunity to see the new Optima today and sit in one. Being very short 5'7" the car is a bit big for me. However the fit and finish is very good. Doors close with solid ka-chunk. Has several interesting features. Inside grab on trunklid to lower lid without grabbing painted outside surface of lid. Recessed handle in trunk to assist those locked in trunk accidentally. However, no remote trunk release on 4-Cylinder car. Heavy hood and very neat engine compartment. Looks like the fit/finish will favorably compare with some current U.S. built Japanese vehicles. Sticker on 4-Cyl with Std Trans is $15,400. This car looks like it will be a winner with the ladies.
    I especially poured over the Kia Optima, Hyundai XG300, and Suzuki XL-7 SUV at last weeks Omaha Auto Show. Had wife and kids in tow. Unlike my wife, I thought the Optima was quite impressive. She thought it was OK but nothing special. (She wants the upcoming baby Jag, the soon to be released X-type.) I really loved the Optima's looks and some nice touches (e.g., the strut-type trunk hinges that don't intrude). Too bad the V-6 Optima cannot be had with a manual. And its price is higher than the Sonata. Found it odd that Hyundai sent a base XG300, an XG300L, a Sante Fe, Elantra, and Accent but no Sonata. Kia had everything but the Spectra.

There are some nice pictures of the 2002 Sonata out. It is quite a looker. Optima is more conservative while Sonata is tastefully flashy.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Giowa: Having owned several Jaguars over my long lifetime, Jaguar is a car of universal appeal to both men and women. My Mom and myself each bought one at the same time. Mine was a '75XJ 6-cyl and hers was a '75XJ 12-cyl. Her car was a Sable color with a definite violet overhaze.Mine was Black. While the Jaguars had leather upholstery, the Optima sedan I saw had a very soft cloth upholstery. Mom always complained about the leather being abrasive on her legs and kept a blanket over the driver's seat for comfort. The tactile senses that were transmitted by the Optima definitely, IMHO, designed to appeal more to the ladies.
    Will be interesting to see if there is a difference in preference for Optimas vs. Sonatas between male and female buyers. If I remember right, thought I saw something showing that Sonata buyers tended to be heavily male. Females preferred "safe" & reliable Accords & Camrys. (Think it had something to do with risk. Men are less risk adverse and would gamble on reliability because the value was so good. Females prize reliability so much and remember what happened to early Hyundai's that they view them unfavorably initially.)

I had hoped Hyundai and Kia would differentiate this platform more on the basis of sport. One might have a more aggressive suspension and some performance/handling upgrades. If you are correct, maybe Kia wants to lure the attractive sex its way while Hyundai gets Joe Sixpack?
    In today's Omaha World-Herald there is a great story headlined "Executive Assess Banner Year of Sales of Asian Car Brands". Excerpt:

"sales of the new Rio compact sedan boosted Kia's 2000 sales to 160,606, its best ever, a 19 percent increase over 1999. Kia plans to introduce a Rio station wagon and the Sedona minivan in the U.S. next year."
  • stormwingstormwing Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. If anyone is interested, I just bought a 2001 Kia Optima SE V6. This car is the Steel Blue, I went for the leather interior and the sticker came in at $21,474. My promotion included a vehicle allowance, so I went out and drove 16 cars including the Altima, 626, Protege', Golf (I know, different class, but in my range), Impala, Focus, and the list goes on and on... The Optima was, hands down, the finest car I drove. I had my boss (the owner of a BMW 740, Mercedes 500SL, and Dodge Viper) take a test drive with me, and HE'S thinking about getting one. In looking at the earlier discussion, it seems to me that they went the other way from the conjecture, at least with the SE. From what I've seen of the Sonata, it seems that has the sportier look and style, and the Optima is geared more toward the classy end. The leather and wood look great, and the styling (especially the front end) has a more upscale look than the Sonata. It handles well, and has plenty of punch when it's needed. The shiftmatic is fun, but overall this is just a remarkably solid, well-performing car that is ridiculously roomy and comfortable. All I know is that I got all the features and comfort I could possibly hope for, and I'll still be able to buy my gas from the allowance!