Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• jonnyoddijonnyoddi Member Posts: 1
    could you let me know as well? I have the same problem. The radio asks for a code i do not have the woners manual. do you have a master code?

thanks

jonathan
  • lori7lori7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 D, and recently my AC & heater seem to be blocked. When I have either on you can hear the air moving, and gets louder and softer depending on the temp. it has reached. I am getting some air flow on my feet, and some by the windshield, but very little from all four vents. Just a light breeze comes from the vents. It almost seems like something is blocking the air path to the vents. Any ideas on where to look and what to look for?
  • stemogstemog Member Posts: 3
    I'm experiencing the same problem, though mine isn't only at low speeds, which makes it kind of dangerous. Was wondering if you came up with an answer yet? My mechanic is baffled by it and doesn't want to go guessing and changing expensive parts if he doesn't have to. He put it on the computer and it didn't throw out any codes. Just wondering if you got a solution? Thanks in advance.
  • mitsusucksmitsusucks Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a diamante with 115000 miles on it, every day something goes wrong, yesterday my air conditioning stopped blowing out the dash($400) I had to replace a seal in the transmission($300), had to replace the front CV axle($175), had to buy new ceraming brakes b/c the new non-ceraming squealed as loud as a damn jet engine (not to say it still doesnt squeal, but its not as bad) god knows where the squeal is coming from now. It rattles when going at high speeds. Thats about it, but i've only had the car for less than a month. I drove a nissan maxima before and didnt have a single problem in two and a half years. DONT BUY ANY MITSUBISHI.
  • ezorezor Member Posts: 4
    Hi my name is Ekrem from Columbia,MO.
    I have problem with my Diamante 93 Sedan. My car security anti-theft system was on when my car battery died. I opened car with the key and change the battery. After that i could not arm my car security again and also my car door automatic locks behaves in a strange way. When I reach a certain speed, door is locked automatically. This is okey but when I stopped in the traffic lights or somewhere without opening the door and drive and reach the same certain speed again, it locks the doors again although it is locked in the begining.. So, Does anybody know how to solve these problem ?
  • cherylscheryls Member Posts: 1
    2 months ago I bought my daughter a 93 diamante for $3000 at a used lot against my better judgment, but she loved the car.... the day after we got it home it stared smoking..... but still drove ok. Yesterday she went on a 50 mile trip to a nearby town and broke down, we had it towed, and after paying the guy a couple hundred bucks to check it over , he said we should cut our losses and just get rid of it, or sell it to a wrecker. he never even gave us a the main reason the car wasn't running, and actually, it was running, you just had to keep the rpm's up and feet on both pedals or it will die....but we managed to get it home. he also said it might be something computer related?? anyone have any ideas??? or a similar problem??? this guy made it sound like we have to tow it tow it home too...and we didn't.....?????
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    I am more familiar with the second generation Diamante, so I can only guess at your solution. Many cars have a default mode of operation that they will return to when the battery if removed. After you put in a new battery, you have to set things back the way you want them. It is possible that the alarm system needs to be set back up. Check your owner's manual for instructions.

Mr. Vivona
    The first generation Diamante's are known for smoking due to valve guide seals leaking. That is an expensive repair, but many choose to continue driving and living with the smoking.

The car not wanting to keep running at idle is most likely related to a the Throttle Position Sensor, the engine computer, or possibly a very dirty throttle body.

The TPS can be bought at wholesale through http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213934

If it is the computer, you can have it repaired at http://www.ecmtogo.com/ for far less than the cost of of a new one.

If it is a dirty throttle body, follow these instructions: http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article3.htm

Mr. Vivona
  • hank_in_ochank_in_oc Member Posts: 4
    So sorry for not seeing this post sooner. I just experienced this exact problem and ended up solving it at about 1/4 of the cost the dealer originally wanted. I don't have the part numbers with me, but I ended up replacing two sensors in the throttle body. It's been about three weeks since the repair and I have experienced no trouble at all. I bought the parts on the Mentor Mitsubishi website and had the dealer put them in. The total cost was $215 for the parts and $200 for labor. The dealer originally wanted to replace the entire throttle body for about $1,600. Let me know if you need the exact OEM part numbers and I'll look them up off line. Good luck.
  • stemogstemog Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Hank. Actually, I had mine to our local Mitsubishi dealer and they said the throttle plate was sticking due to carbon buildup, so they suggested trying having it cleaned first before spending the $1,600 for a new throttle body. I spent $238 for the cleaning (which I still think is a lot of money) and that was two weeks ago. No problems since, but my problem didn't happen all the time anyway, so I'm still not sure the problem is solved. If it does re-occur, I may take you up on your offer, or if you have the OEM part numbers feel free to post them. Thanks again and good luck with your vehicle as well.
  • chsrimanchsriman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have bought a 99 Diamante and the Radio doesnt work for that. It asks me for a security code. I called up the dealer and tried to find out if they will help me by providing the code. They all are charging around $50 - $75 for that. Is there any other way I can get the code. I dont know how to remove the Radio out to find the serial number etc. If there is some master code or some other way I would be really thankful. Any help is appreicated.

Thanks,
    Chsriman.
  • rayk3rayk3 Member Posts: 9
    I have faced a situation that might be interesting to many Diamante owners.
    The guy replaced the battery and the sound system continued to work. How about the code that one has to enter after the the battery is disconnected in order to make radio work? The guy did not know the code, he does not work for dealership, and the code numbers I keep separately from the car... Isn't it odd? . Maybe, it is normal occurence for the older cars( mine is 97)? I'd appreciate any input. The thing is that I cannot get in touch with the guy to ask him directly. The battery is obviously different from my old one, so I cannot doubt that the replacerment was done.
    Thanks
    For smoke, it is probably because of valve stem seals. It is a cronical problem for mitsubishi 90's. You can use Begdhal No Smoke in Walmart. You should add this in each oil change and use 20x50 oil.. No Smoke in my car after that..

About rpm, you can increase its rpm.. Follow the Gas pedal wire, there are some bolts you can play.. Also, there is screw on trottle body, you can increase the oxygen level by playing with it..
    I hope they solve your problems..
    You should also make sure, you did not put water more than enough to the engine cooler external cup. Wait to check water level when the car is warm. Because it is increasing when it is warm..

Also check radiator cap, it must have all rubbers for insulation on it and also have small moving stuff below. If is is not working properly, the pressure will be low in water circulation in engine. This causes overheat and smoke....
    Use Begdahl No Smoke with 20x50 oil. Check External Engine Cooler Cup, donot overfill. Wait to check its level when the car is warm.. Also check radiator cup if it is working properly...
  • ccunningtonccunnington Member Posts: 1
    If you dig a little deeper, you will find that you do have a good car, but may need some repairs to the not-so-obvious problem. I have purchased 2 Diamantes in the last year because they are great buy of Japanese engineering for the price. I paid about the same price as you did, but had to put some money in brakes and an ECM (engine control module), which is possibly what is causing your problem. After having a dealer tell me that it was bad and that it would cost around $1,400, I researched on my own and found that I could get it rebuilt in Florida for $195. It worked out great! Let me know if you would like more information. P.S. Your towing guy probably is not familiar with these cars.
  • wsmith6576wsmith6576 Member Posts: 1
    i just removed the radio from my sons diamante...it wasn't too bad
  • mwinnmwinn Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to remove the radio from my 1995 Diamante Wagon to replace it, and am having a devil of a time removing the fascia around it. What's the secret???

By the way, to keep from having to reenter codes, try rigging up a temporary 12v bypass around the battery when you are ready to remove it. Keeps the trickle of power to the radio so it won't forget its code.
  • sexygyrlsexygyrl Member Posts: 1
    wow!! my car takes forever to increase speed when i am getting on the highway. I am always getting cursed out by people on the expressway, because I am going so slow.
  • massodmassod Member Posts: 10
    I own a D/99. it has 75k miles on it. the "service engine soon" light goes on and off. what might cause the light to come on? can I fix it myself? :mad:
    When the service engine light comes on, there is a code stored in the computer that tells you what the light means. You can take your car to the dealer and have them read the code, or you can buy one of the OBDII code readers, such as http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AY7RS4/sr=1-4/qid=1131459876/ref=sr_1_4/- 002-1749255-7469667?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
    and read the code yourself.

If you want to try something before you spend a lot on reading the code, the most common cause of an intermittent service engine light is a gas cap that is not sealing fully because the rubber has hardened. Try replacing the gas cap with a new one from your dealer's parts department.

Mr. Vivona
  • ejk517ejk517 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any suggestions for resetting the code to get the sound system back up and running, short of taking it to the dealer and getting hosed. Battery was recently replaced and since then, no tunes. I've got a 2001, LS , which by the way has been a very sweet ride with no (knock on wood) mech/other problems to date.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EK
    Mr. Vivona,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'd give that a try. hope the gas cap isn't expensive!

Masood
    I replace the battry few months ago and experienced same problem. I put in the codes listed on the red anti-theft card and followd the instructions in the manual and was able to get my radio working again. assuming you have the red card, then you should be OK.

Masood
  • ejk517ejk517 Member Posts: 2
    Masood:

Thanks for the response. I bought the car used and it unfortunately did not come with a owners manual and I don't know what the "red card" is. Please advise or provide me with the codes that are listed on the card.

Best -- EK
    You should go back to the dealer or person that you bought the car from and get the manual and "anti-theft system" card. the card has the security code on it. you enter the code and then follow the instructions in the manual in order to recover your radio.
    Mr. Vivona,

New gas cap didn't fix the problem. stopped at the auto part shop and read the code. the code is po155, which is oxyger sensor, bank 2, sensor 1.

my car, D 1999 has 75k miles on it. I read in the warranty manual that it's covered (i.e. less than 80k miles/8 years). Is this true? If not how much is the part and labor for changing the oxygen sensor? :cry:
  • ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    My o2 sensor was replaced fpr my 99 Diamante at around 20k miles and if I remember correctly it was charged back to Mitsubishi at $150 for the replacement under warranty...
    If you change your battery and the radio is calling for the code, and you don't find the code among your owner's manual documents, you can get the code for about $38 from http://radio-code.com/

You will have to remove the radio to get its serial number. The website will provide you with instructions on radio removal, or you can use my instructions at http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article1.htm

Mr. Vivona
    Mr. Vivona,

how accurate are these code readers? I did it at the advanced auto parts. my plan is to have it replaced at a mechanics shop other than the dealer since they want to charge me for the diagnostics in addition to the labor and parts! However, the mechanic doesn't warranty the work. :cry:
  • brianmccarthybrianmccarthy Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new reader/member of this group. I checked out the posts prior to bringing my 2002 Diamante LS in for some work and I'm glad I did. The warranty expires next month and I wanted to be sure everything that needed fixing got done.

Well, I noticed that the TCL light came on once in a while, and checked out some of the posting specific to that. This must be a pretty widespread problem as the dealer is going to change the transmission computer. The part alone is $1,400. I originally was only asking about the power steering unit, which comes and goes. That will be replaced as well. The steering on the vehicle did shimmy at highway speed, and sure enough it's the rotors, but they're out of warranty and there was no flexibility from the dealer on that. He wanted +$400 for the brake job. Needless to say, he didn't get it. I've had the brakes done by an independent mechanic, and will have the rest of the warranty work done next week. Many thanks for all the advice I've received. And by the way, I do love the car. It always gets curious looks from people who want to know what kind of BMW it is.
  • brantbrant Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2001 LS that was involved in an accident two weeks ago when a women crossed the yellow line on a curvy two lane road in Atlanta and hit drivers door head on and damaged area above the wheel and some damage to rear as well. I walked away. She lost control and I guess she was at 30mph when she hit me. Car was totalled as damage exceeded $9000 and none of that was engine related. State Farm /her carrier gave me $13,500 and I was evry lucky to find a legit 2002 VRX demo with only 6k on it via EBAY. i bought it for 13,800 and it is a beauty
    Just picked it up yesterday and it is a tighter car than the LS and quite a looker. I had practically no problems with my 2001 but only had 34k on it. I feel the integrity of the frame saved me from very serious injury.
    All mechanics i talk to say that the Diamante is a great value, very reliable and safe.
    I am thinking of adding an after market sunroof to my VrX-anyone have nay experience or suggestions with that?
  • hunting35hunting35 Member Posts: 3
    Mr. Vivona

My Dia is blowing cold air with the heater turned up to highest setting. I replaced the thermostat and problem continues. After running the car for an hour and checking hoses i find that the upper radiator hose is hot, the lower hose is cold (goes to thermostat) and both hoses that go through the firewall to the heater core are hot.

Blower is working and A/C is working but heater only blows cool air.

You seem to know most things about the Dia and thought you could lend a hand.

Thanks.
  • bo_skeezerbo_skeezer Member Posts: 3
    Hunting35

I too have a 99 Diamante and appear to have the same heater problem you are having. I look forward finding a solution here. I was wondering if it might be a fuse??
  • iceman19iceman19 Member Posts: 1
    Mr. Vivona
    My wife and I own a 2001 and a 2004 Diamante and we want to re program the remote controls for the doors. Could you please advise us as to the procedure to follow.
    Thank You
    DG
  • lrod069lrod069 Member Posts: 1
    MY diamante ..... the power door locks are locking and unlocking when I turn the key on. They use to lock when my car hit 12mph. but now when they lock it turns my radio off and it wont come back on until i take out the dome light fuse and put it back. Please help. this is a big inconvenience for me.
  • joe87joe87 Member Posts: 1
    2000 Diamante
    Battery died - had to jump. Lost radio card numbers. Took to dealer. Fixed radio - but 6 disk cd player won't work. Insert, Eject, lights all work - but it will not play.

Any Advice?
  • kninknin Member Posts: 5
    1998 Diamante LS
    Going through this brutal winter in the upper midwest is painful enough, but I'm having to go through it without a working HEATER in the Diamante. I set my climate control to 90 degrees (making sure the A/C is not on) and I cannot get any warm air inside the cabin. At times it feels warmer outside the car.

Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Thanks.
  • rayk3rayk3 Member Posts: 9
    A month ago I changed the battery on my Mitsu ES-97. The battery warning symbol started showing on the dashboard. Then, one day I nedeed a jump start to start the car.I exchanged the battery for the another one - the same result. The alternator was checked - it is fine. A few days ago I started the car with great difficulty. The warning sign appears as soon as I turn the engine on, then goes away in a few seconds, sometimes reappears and goes away again. It is never happened with the old battery that was very old.
    Any suggestions? I'll take it to the dealear only when the car fails to start ahgain.
    Thanks.
    knin,
    I just got my '99 Diamante ES back from the dealer and they repaired the same problem you're having with a hot/cold selector switch that is mounted in the evaporator (passenger side i/s the passenger compartment). The part # on my bill was AW342508 and lists as a Motor,Auto Heater. Price was$185 plus $200 for installation.

Hope this helps.
    I just got my '99 Diamante ES back from the dealer and they repaired the same problem you're having with a hot/cold selector switch that is mounted in the evaporator (passenger side i/s the passenger compartment). The part # on my bill was AW342508 and lists as a Motor,Auto Heater. Price was$185 plus $200 for installation.

Hope this helps.
    EK, I also purchased my 98 Diamante without an owner's manual. My radio was not working either. I called Mitsubishi at 1-888-MITSU2005 and they told me that I needed the radio serial number along with my car's VIN number and they provided the radio code for me free of charge! I would suggest if you can get someone to help you (my father and I worked on it for an hour or so) getting that radio out, then this is probably the best and cheapest way to get your sound system back on. Mitsu will also give you instructions on how to put the code in.

KNIN
    Hunting, thanks for the info. Oddly enough, the heater started working this past week (thank goodness). I honestly did not do anything to it, it just simply started working. However, I will definitely check the hot/cold selector switch that you mentioned to ensure that it's not faulty and that I end up with this problem again. Thanks again.
  • fixer92fixer92 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Diamante LS. After replacing my radio, the SRS light came on. I know that the letters represent my Supplemental Restraint System. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to eliminate this light. Thanks.

Low
  • kutiekutie Member Posts: 4
    MY DRIVER SEAT ON MY MITSUBISHI,DIAMANTE WONT GO BACK AND ITS ELECTRIC. IT GOES TO THE FRONT BUT IT WONT GO BACK WHEN I PRESS THE BUTTON. I DONT KNOW WHAT'S WRONG IT AND I'M FUSTRATED BECAUSE MY KNEES ARE LIKE HITING THE BOTTOM OF WHERE THE STEERING WHEEL IS AT.
    GOOD MORNING,
    I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY NEW D AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I'M HAVING TROUBLE ADJUSTING THE SEAT BACK BUT THE ELECTRIC BUTTON WONT LET ME MOVE IT BACK BUT IT WILL MOVE FORWARD.YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

BLANCA
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and welcome.

As KarenS noted following your first post, you need to unlock your caps key when posting. A message in all caps is very difficult to read - which means that people who might be able to help may just skip by it - and, well, it is perceived as rude. It looks like you are yelling at us.

I hope someone here can help you - again, welcome.
    Thanks for the tip...and thank you for the welcome note.thank you again.

blanca
    i have a problem being able to move my seat go back. and i think it has to do something with the electrical system. can somebody please help me or give me some advice on what to do. the dealer is charging me $94 dollars just to see whats the problem. thank you in advance

blanca
  • mwinnmwinn Member Posts: 2
    My 95 Dia wagon radio dash lights won't go off! when I shut down the car they stay on. They kept running the battery down, so I had to remove the fuse that powers them (also the circuit powers to clock and dome lights). The dome light goes out properly when the door is shut, but the radio light stays on. I tried removing the radio fuse, but that did not power the background lights behind the radio. Help!