Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My '01 started the "moose call" when the first cold snap hit two weeks ago. (OK, OK, a cold snap in Houston is between 50 & 60 degrees..).

Anyway, it stops before I get out of the block but the neighborhood kids think it's cool and the family dog is scared of it. Aside from the noise I'm just going to let it call until I find time to fix it myself. At 73K miles this is the only "semi-problem" I've ever had with the MPV - and it passed the pollution inspection yesterday with no problems.
  • kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    my dealers here have no spare brake pad and I had to bring the van in to order the part in. I guess there isn't any safty concern to leave the van in the shop. Anyone here has 04 that the engine makes a ticking noise after warm-up?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Anyone here has 04 that the engine makes a ticking noise after warm-up?

There is a TSB for the '02+ 3.0L V6 that addresses a ticking noise from the left bank of cylinders. Should be a warranty fix.

-Brian
  • jdzjdz Member Posts: 1
    Obviously I couldn't get away from these famous problems. My 04 MPV LX has just 1k on it and I have hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and brake noise when backing up. I think I should bring the car in ASAP, and here's my question. Is there any recall kind of stuff I should ask to repair? Although I don't have any other problem yet.
    According to mpvclub, both are TSB's.

-Brian
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Check for a sticker on the underside of the hood to see if it's been done, or ask your dealer about any open recalls. FWIW, my van has had both the shift shock and the brake noise. Hopefully these are both just teething problems with the '04 refresh and the van will settle down and behave from now on.

-Jason
  • mainsail3mainsail3 Member Posts: 4
    Manual calls for 5w20, but my local garage only does 5w30 or 10w30. Is it absolutely necessary to go the 5w20 route? I live in a warm climate - Florida.
  • mainsail3mainsail3 Member Posts: 4
    What is the TSB number? I tried to look it up at the U.S. Gov website, but there was no TSB number 04-007/04; there were sixteen other TSB's, though.
    Mazda has a TSB out that states 5w-30 is acceptable for use in the 3.0L requiring 5w-20. I found the TSB at mpvclub.

-Brian
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so it's time to join us for our Mazda chat hour. Hope to see you there tonight!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

NOTE: The MAZDA MANIA Chat is every Tuesday evening at 9PM ET(6PM PT) Check out the schedule
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Okay, Karen, maybe third time's the charm ;)

04-007/04 is the TSB number. Apparently the gov't and Edmunds lag behind somewhat on the very newest TSBs. My dealership still hasn't gotten the new brake pads in, so we're just living with the problem for now. If you'd like more information, better e-mail me directly at the address in my profile.

-Jason
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I had the BS Turanza replaced also. 80,000 miles warranty. The grip isn't as good as orig Dunlops, maybe the rubber is harder, touring is pretty good. The ride seems to be better at 36-lb for driver in car only.

I live in Massachusetts. The heater warms the car in 5 to 10 mins (split dash/foot setting) when I warm up the car every morning. If the temp is quite cold outside, I put the air recirculate and press back to fresh when get in the car. Warmer air comes out from the center out than the air out near windows.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    My 04 MPV tranny problem was fixed in 1st try.

It has to be 2 part procedure, reflash the TCM, then reflash the PCM. Maybe it is not good enough without the PCM reflash. Sometimes the TCM unit has hardware failure also, worst to the worst Mazda will change the TCM hardware b4 doing the reflash things.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    ...thanks for stating about the ticking sound in the engine. I have heard that periodically, and now see there is a tsb on it..?

Now another problem: When temps are below roughly 20 degrees, the front end has a stiff creaking sound when going over bumps. It sounds like something needing lubrication. I took to the dealer and they stated all was ok. Any fixes on THIS problem?!?

I told them that I thought I heard about some plastic that needs to be cut off around the struts and he laughed...but still no fix!
  • hwengmgrhwengmgr Member Posts: 1
    My wifes MPV is in the shop. STarted making "knocking" noises last week. CHecked the oil level and it was a little low so put some in and didn;t notice the noise again until yesterday. Oil level was low AGAIN and put in another quart but noise persists.

Brought it into the shop today and they say the noise is from the bottom part of the engine. THey are dropping the oil pan tommorow to see if they can do anything. But if not, they way its a NEW ENGINE!

My god! I'm panicking!

How much will this run? How can the engine go bad after 42,000 miles? Oil was last changed about 6 months ago, but we only drive 8K a year anyway!

Anybody know if there is some help from Mazda on this? HELP!
    I have not heard about a knocking problem. Mine only has a tappet problem. I still have the creaking in the front end when temps are below 20 degrees and I'm told to live with it!!

I'm tired of living with abnormalacies!! It seems this vehicle is a time bomb waiting to disinegrate. Mine has 42K miles on it too! Yikes!
  • tomchotomcho Member Posts: 1
    I am currently taking my '03 MPV back to the dealer tomorrow to replace another spark plug that is causing a misfire. This is the 3rd time that I am doing this. I even had them changed outside of the dealer and was told by the dealer that the wrong ones were put in. Last month , one plug and one coil were replaced , now the same problem has started .. has anyone seen any SRB on this or had the same type of problems. I currently have 37K on it and my reliability of the car is shrinking.
  • mazman55mazman55 Member Posts: 1
    2000 mazda mpv lx: I am familiar with changing/removing brake pads in general. There seems to be two bolts that need to be loosened in order to release the pads so they slide off the rotor to be replaced. I cannot get these bolts loose. I put so much pressure on the bolt in an attempt to turn it that I broke my brand new socket wrench. Has any body experienced this problem? Changing brakes should not be this difficult.
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    I had that same problem with my 2000, which was resolved by bringing the van to a spray wash and hosing down the engine.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    My 2000 MPV emits a smell of exhaust and/or burning oil after starting in cold temps, for the first minute or two.

Anyone else have that?

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Ottawa
  • gladstonegladstone Member Posts: 1
    The engine on my 1991 Mpv started idling at over 2000 rpm. It slowed and then would speed up during its idle. I shut it off and it did not start even though there was not a hint of it stalling before it was shut off. What's the possible problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion.

Steve, Host
  • woodchuckwoodchuck Member Posts: 1
    I could use help from somebody for a 2002 MPV with 50700 mmiles but not three years old. The transmission "blew" three weeks ago. You would think that they would honor the warranty and replace the transmission but so far they are refusing. Transmission has been checked, but not servicesd over the years AND the car was at Mazda for engine light recalls in December and they should have noticed an impending failure, I think. What do you think?
  • louisianampvlouisianampv Member Posts: 1
    Hello mpvntexas,

I have a 2003 with the same problem. I've only taken it in once, with no results, in correcting the issue along with a bad water pump. Like you said, it is difficult to duplicate the problem on demand. I've noticed with mine is if you get on the gas a little harder than usual, and let off (say as to make a red light and then turn a corner) and then back on the gas, it can feel as if the transmission is ready to fall out. A significiantly hard knock.

I would be very appreciative if you could tell me if anything has been resolved with your vehicle. If any progress has been made, the name of the service center would also be very helpful. My wife and I have had to deal with our service center here on a VW Beetle, and basically we have come to the conclusion that they are basically idiots. (Moffit VW, Mazda, Audi, Porsche) But that another story.

Thank You,
    Russ in Shreveport
    rshenry@morrisdickson.com
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone got the work listed in TSB 07-001/03 performed at a dealership to resolve the odor problem from the vents when the a/c is turned on, and if so, did it work, and how much did it cost? It doesn't seem to be a do-it-yourself type of a thing, looking at the applicator and the cooling coil coating liquid that are indicated in the TSB.
    Time for another chat session with your fellow forum residents! Should be another fun hour as we discuss the automotive (and some not-so-automotive) issues of the day.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    OK, guys. MY 2002 MPV only has 20k miles & Dunlop tires are pretty much gone. We all agree that Dunlop tires aren;t good (based on previous discussions).

Which one would you recommend ? I need softer/comfortable ride. Don't like current MPV's tight ride
    Start out at Tire Rack and plug in your MPV. There won't be much to choose from in the stock H-rated tires if you have the 17"-ers. Then try the 'other' available sizes and possibly stepping down to a lower speed rating. Try to keep the load rating of 95.

That'll get you started.

-Brian
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Michelin Hydroedge.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    in fact, another mpv site I follow mentions someone who emailed Mazda about the 17" tires and stepping down to a T rated one. 225/55-17 in T will work.

-Brian
    waht is H, T ?
    H and T are speed ratings. Tirerack has more information on them, but H is typically a stiffer tire than a T rated tire. Like I said before, the often forgotten piece is the load rating which is 95 on the MPV. You want the tire you get to replace the OEM's to have the same load rating.

You want me to email more?

-Brian
    brian,

called the tire dealers around, i am really interested in Michellin Hydroedge 215/60/17 inch but it is T rated, load rating is over 95. Some dealer say they will NOT step down from what manufacturer says & it is dangerous to do so. others say i can step down one notch which is from H to T.

Please help, can i step down from H to T ? any dangers ?
    I've read/seen several other ES owners go to the Hydroedge w/o a problem. You *can* step down to a T rating, I noted text from a post on another site for you that stated it was ok to do so.

I can't post a direct link to that information because it is not allowed here.

-Brian
    Thanks a lot. Tell me which site. you can mention the site not post links.

I am so sick of the dunlop tires, i can count every bump on the road.
    I've gotten posts pulled for just mentioning the site even without an actual link.

Again, from what I've read on another mpv/mazda5 site, stepping down to T rated tires on the MPV is acceptable according to an email from MazdaUSA.

I suppose you could email me.

-Brian
  • slovikovskislovikovski Member Posts: 8
    i live in northern ohio and have a 2001 mpv...only 24000 miles....out of warranty for sure....had a leak in the supply lines to the rear heater and have had it suggested that is an$800 repair bill.....3.5 year old car and only 24000 miles....probably only about 8-10 thousand of those miles in the winter months....i will never buy another mazda and will make sure my friends and family hear my case too
    call mazda & push them to pay. they will at atleast take 50% of bill, even if it out of warranty. my friend did it
    thanks.
    no email address in your profile.
    try again, my email is there

-Brian
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    Apparently the Bosch remanufactured alternator (Mitsubishi) is not suitable for use with a 2000 MPV. Can I get some information about which brand was used, from those who have had their alternators replaced by shops other than the dealer? One shop here mentioned a Ford alternator.
  • mpv_augustampv_augusta Member Posts: 1
    I have seen some threads on noises from the engine. I was wondering if it is the same thing I am experiencing. 2000 MPV with 67K miles.

Last fall when it began to get cold, when warming the engine up you will hear a loud humming noise. It is not ticking or anything like that. When you get out of Park and switch into gear (R or D) and step on the gas the noise goes away. When you get to a stop sign or light, there is the noise again.

Anyone else experiencing this "annoying" problem?
    sounds like the IAC valve, a common part to replace on '00 MPVs. There is a TSB and I've read of others replacing this elsewhere on the 'net.

-Brian
  • driven4driven4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 DX with a trailer hitch and I started to have weird issues with the turn signals (radio light flashes with turn signal). Cutting out the wiring for the trailer has solved that problem. Had the fuse blow for the hazards and now the running lights are not working. As I stated the removal of the trailer wiring harness eliminated funny turn signals but has anyone had this happen?
    Has anyone in the colder climates noticed a creaking sound from the front end when going over bumps; i.e.; speed bumps or from driveways to street levels. My 03 MPV does this when temps are below 30 degrees and it really is annoying as well as embarrassing when people see me coming!
    Is it something to do with the SWAY BAR BUSHINGS??
    Thanks.
  • lindavanlindavan Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 MPV ignition switch is lock in the ACC position. I can't get the key out. Is this common? Can I fix this myself or is this need to go the the shop? Any shop or is this best at a dealer?
  • driven4driven4 Member Posts: 2
    Borrowed a 2003 manual from neighbour (don't have one!) and found a second fuse blown under hood. Easy fix. Has anyone else had any problems with a Reese wiring kit?
  • tampampvtampampv Member Posts: 1
    Same exact problem with our 2000 MPV. Have you tried replacing the IAC? Did it fix the problem?
This discussion has been closed.