Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• abesabes Member Posts: 2
    The sunroof in my 92D LS is experiencing some problems. I have to use both buttons ( slide and tilt) to open the sunroof and close it. It also has gotten stuck on me a couple of times. It did not tilt before, now its does but then it doesnt close. I am going to try to fix this problem myself. I know this is not a major problem since I can manually close the roof, but i was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if there are ony suggestions to the cause and the fixing of this problem. Thank you

Abes

P.S. I would like to
    thank Mr. Vivona for
    refering me to his
    article on cleaning
    your throttle body,
    very helpful, thanks
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Is Mitsubishi going to stop making Diamantes? I read that in Automobile Magazine something about the last "waning," days of the Diamante.
  • mjscampermjscamper Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a used 1993 Diamante with 80,000 miles on it for $7995. We are wondering about any mechanical problems and the longevity of this model. Are there any questions other than the usual (accident, usage)that we should be asking? Is this a decent price or should we be negotiating down? The exterior and interior are in excellent shape with no rust, rips or stains.
    Thanks!
  • bill_lansbill_lans Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1998 Diamante LS and when the air conditioner is on, the car is very "jerky". It feels like I am pressing and releasing the gas pedal constantly. In previous cars that I have owned I have felt changes in the power occasionally when the air is on, but not nearly as constant as this. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is it something that can be fixed?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Is the model you are looking at an ES? If it is, I owned one of those with very high mileage and can say that for the most part it is a very reliable car. I bought it with around 160K and sold it with 173K. I just talked with the current owner at a gas station and she now has 183K with no problems. Things to look for is any smoke coming from the exhaust. The SOHC V-6 is known for valve guides that wear prematurely and burn some oil. Mine was well-cared for so it only burned about 1/4 of a quart every 3K which is normal for something with such high mileage. But cars that weren't so well cared for can burn a quart every 1K, which can get annoying. Check to make sure the tranny shifts into first gear smoothly when stopping at a moderate pace. Mine would slam shift into first with an obnoxiously loud bang and jolt. Manually turning off overdrive with the switch before stopping circumvented that problem. I also had a problem with the engine not wanting to idle with the AC on. Cleaning the throttle body fixed that problem. If you feel any hesitation when accelerating, the most likely cause is a cracked distributor cap or bad plug wires. The distributor cap on these cars only last about 1 year due to its close proximity to high heat. I also had the famous warped rotor problem. These cars tend to warp their rotors rather easily so check to make sure there is no vibration in the steering when braking hard. Overall though, the car ran great. It has good power, so-so fuel economy (expect 18-20 mpg in the city and 25 max on the highway), never left me stranded, always started first time, felt extremely solid even after all those miles, and the interior held up very well. As for the price, I think I would try to get them down to $7K. The Diamante has poor resale value and the fact its 9 years old should be reflected in its price. I bought a 97.5 Altima with 60K for $7500. I know that its not a luxury class car, but its reliable, quite a bit newer, has most of the same power equipment, and has lower mileage. So keep that in mind when negotiating on such an old car. Good luck on your search and I hope I have been of some help!
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    taurus2--As I interpret the line in Automobile Magazine, these are the "last waning days" of the current model run. The current model started in 1997 and is expected to run until 2004 or 2005, so Mitsubishi has done a mid model run "freshening" on the front and rear of the car. If the link is still there on this page, (upper left under Additional Resources) click it to see the video and hightlights of the 2002 Diamante.
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks a lot! I heard that the Mazda Millenia will be gone in 2003. I was just wondering with that line "last waning days," if the Diamante was goin to be retired soon. With all the new Technology in mid level luxury cars today it would be smart to remodel the Diamante in 2003 to keep in race with Lexus, Infiniti, Acura.
  • jackieboyjackieboy Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I'm Jack and I have 1995 Diamante LS with DOHC engine, currently my car has 81,000 miles.
    I have experienced with the same problem as Michelle "mkc" has. I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow for the repair. I hope that it will not break my budget and dealer will not rip me off on the invoice.

Michelle would you send me email with answer what was the problem with your dying Diamante?
    My email is jackper22@yahoo.com
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Jack
    Streamwood, IL

P.S. I'm happy that I have found this forum!
    What most Americans do not realize is that the Diamante in Japan and Australia does have a lot of the same modern technology as its competitors, including in-dash navagation, auto-stick transmission and gasoline direct injection (GDI). Since the Diamante is not sold through a separate dealer network like Toyota does with Lexus, Nissan does with Infiniti and Honda does with Acura, Mitsubishi has to keep the price point attractive and that means leaving out some of the more pricey stuff. Also, with the limited production capacity of the Australia plant, only about 10,000 Diamantes are available for us (US) so it isn't economical to have options that may only be bought by 10-20% of the buyers. On the other hand, I do hear that the 2002 Diamante will have a VR-X model added which will have a sport suspension and more horsepower along with some sporty styling.

Mr. Vivona
  • mkcmkc Member Posts: 20
    Jack,

Will e-mail you as well. Mine turned out to be the idle control motor had shorted out - "old age and mileage", they said.

With oil change (needed anyway) it came to $607.

Ouch!

Michelle
  • slk321slk321 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2000 Diamante with 22,000 miles to the dealer to have a fog light replaced and to tell me why so much road noise.

They told me the road noise is caused by the tread on the tires on the outside being worn - I beleive they used the words cupped.

When I asked how this might happen the dealer said tire pressure or alignment. They offered to sell me new tires but this seems like a waste since the Goodyear GA have a lot of tread life left.

Why should I do?
    Michelle,

I got your email. Thank You very much for your quick response. You really helped me out, coz I know what should I check to fix the problem I'm having right now with my Diamante.

I see your problem went away but it cost you $600 to get it done. Ouch!

Thanks again Michelle!

Jack
    Jack,

Since your e-mail to me mentioned that your D would still idle, I would suspect it might not be an idle control motor. In my case, once the engine had warmed up, the car would die unless I kept my foot on the accelerator. When it was cold, there was no evidence of a problem.

Also, a drop in idle under load (from 1000 in neutral to 650-800 in drive) might indicate something like a vacuum leak, air/fuel mixture, spark, etc. some of which are controlled by the ECM using readings from the sensors. I think the MAP sensor is one specifically which adjusts air/fuel/spark based on engine load.

If you search the Web on Mitsubishi Trouble Codes, you should come across the instructions for using a voltmeter to probe the Data Link Connector near the fuse box (I found it at www.batauto.com/mitsu.html ). It also tells how to read the 12V pulses and then what these codes mean. Long pulses occur first, which represent the "10's" place, followed by short pulses, which are "1's". Then it repeats.

So if you get 1 long pulse followed by 3 short pulses, this translates to trouble code 13 and the lookup chart says this is Intake Air Temp Sensor Fault.

Multiple codes (they start with the lowest number and go up, so for example I got a 13, 25, 31) probably mean something else has failed.

Typically, the Check Engine Light comes on if there's a true sensor fault (but not always).

You mentioned your D is a '95 with 80-something K. How recently have you had the EFI system serviced (plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel-injector cleaning)?

As a data point, my D now idles in park with no load around 650 rpm and in drive or park with A/C on at around 1000 rpm. Idle is steady with no significant fluctuations (although the park-idle seems a little low and I keep forgetting to check the under-hood sticker to see what spec is (it's an ES, which should be SOHC, I believe).

Mr. Vivona - any wisdom you can share on Jack's symptoms I'm sure would benefit all as well.

Michelle
  • jscarboroughjscarborough Member Posts: 1
    Looking for others that have experienced this particular problem when applying the brakes.

I have had this problem at 6,000 miles, 11,000 miles, and now again at 21,000 miles.

Would like to know if there are any fixes out there that work, for longer than 10K miles. Also, does anyone know any contacts at Mitsubishi to call about this. I have called dealers and customer relations only to get told 'no problems'.

Thanks in advance.
  • timtrantimtran Member Posts: 29
    Mitsubishi had tried different rotors on the Diamante (pre 5/99, 5-6/99, and post 6/99)but had no remedy to warped rotors. Exert care when installing them, or when changing tires (see Diamonds and pearls by Mr. Vivona) may help new aftermarket rotors last longer.
    Instead of going back and forth with Mitsubishi about this issue, I proactively replaced my original rotors (which indeed got warped) with Beck/Arnley rotors that can be ordered at NAPA auto parts or Kragen for less than $200.00 a pair, tax included. Installing them is a snap, it took me 30 minutes for both.
    If you follow Mr. Vivona's directions, they should not give you any problems in the future. Stay away from manufacturer's rotors, my Mitsubishi service advisor told me so. IMO $200.00 is a small price to pay for peace of mind, and the unnecessary aggravation for dealing with the manufacturer. Hope this will help.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I don't have a Diamante but have had "cupped" tires on my 96 Explorer. There isn't much you can do except replace them. I was told it''s a product of not rotating the tires. It only happpens on the front tires of my Explorer with about 34,000 miles. Replaced them about 40,000 miles.
  • ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    Hello
    I'm getting prepared now to replace all my disc brake pads and have started buying all the gear I need to do the job.

I've read some reviews and now have opted to try out the EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads (US$79) for the front. They unfortunately do not have pads for the rear so I will probably go for MetalMaster for the rear ($49).

Now I'm toying with the idea of replacing the rotors as well with some "vented" ones eventhough my current rotors are working perfectly fine ( you have to understand my logic...got to spend the money somehow rather than just spend it on something silly like food and housing ;-) )

What I want to know is what are the actual steps to replace the rotors. I've read the "poor" Chiltons manual and it looks *too* simple to be true!

Any "gotcha's" to watch out for, eg. like make sure you have so and so part before proceeding???

-C-
    Hello,

It's me again! I recently had a problem with my Diamante. It was the same problem as Michelle had with her Diamante. The problem was in idle speed control motor. When the engine had warmed up, the car would die unless I kept the foot on the gas. There was no problem when it the engine was cold.

Therefore, looking at the Michelle's "mkc" post on this forum, I purchased this part and have it replaced by my mechanic. Everything took only 10 minutes and now my car runs OK! I can even say that engine has more power and I can't feel upshifting or downshifting of the transmission that occured before replacing the ISC motor.

My bill was for $450.00
    Towing $125 + parts & labor $325.00

Thanks a lot Michelle! Once again you don't know how much you helped me with my car's problem :o)

Jack
    Streamwood, IL
    1995 Diamante LS (DOHC)
    Jack,

Glad to hear I saved you $150 over what my repair cost ;-)

I guess I'd misread the e-mail you sent directly to me as well - I thought in your e-mail you were reporting a low/rough idle problem, not the actual warm engine stalling one.

Out of curiousity, let us know how your gas mileage is over the next several tanks. I'm not sure how much timing/idle speed setting was done by my dealer when they replaced my ISC motor, but I went from a typical 22.5-23.5 mpg (for the past 6 years) to 24.5 on the second tank of gas after the repair and 25.5 on the 3rd tank since. This is the highest fuel economy I've ever gotten in this car, and it has 125K miles on it.

Michelle
    It was indeed a "no brainer" job: check this site out: http://www.i-club.com/mods/front_brake_rotor_installation.htm for details. I believe it was a 17mm socket/wrench instead. It sounds like you are using a combination of organic pads (short life span)in the front, and metallic pads (wear rotors)in the rear. The original pads are semi-metallic. I would stick with semi-metallic ones.
  • mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    Could someone please tell me where the idle speed control motor is on my 94 Diamante? I'm having the same problems as described by other posters and am going to go ahead and buy the part and replace it myself. I was just wondering if any of you know where exactly it is on the engine. I have the ES SOHC engine. Please be specific. Thanks in advance.
    Just curious: Have you cleaned the throttle body yet? My 93 D ES SOHC developed a stalling problem that would only occur when the engine was hot. At every light I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. There was no warning to this stalling, it just suddenly started occurring one day. Turns out the throttle body was all carboned up and had clogged the 2 small air bypass holes (they bypass the throttle butterfly valve which is closed at idle) that help the engine idle. All i needed was a $2 can of throttle body cleaner, a small soft cotton towel, and a rod of some kind that can help push the towel around in the deep recesses of the throttle body. You just spray the cleaner into the throttle body (you take the air intake tubing off to get at it) and use the towel to wipe out the build-up. Very simple and very cheap. It solved my stalling problem, twice in 1 year! Apparently, the throttle body gets gunked up pretty easily. The towel was practically black the first time I did it. I would try doing that before you go spending money on an expensive part that may or may not fix the problem. And just to warn you, the car will run rough for the first few minutes after spraying the cleaner. Just let it burn off and it should run smooth again. Hope this saves you some money!!
  • bob_pabob_pa Member Posts: 18
    Well I've had my Diamante for 7 months and a little over 4000 miles.

Overall I would rate this the best car I have ever owned so far. I love the comfort, power, and style.

Regrets: Black paint! I will never by black again. Silver next time, or blue.

Problems: I had all 4 of my tires replaced by good year for excessive run-out and really bad vibration. The new tires were then balanced at the dealership. Its a lot better but Im getting ready to take it back for this again.

I also had a rattle in my dash that the dealer fixed.

I love this car. I just want my vibration fixed! I am going to see if they will put a different brand tire on.
  • toomanychoicestoomanychoices Member Posts: 18
    I love my black 99 Diamante, but I'm having a hard time keeping it looking good. Normally, I wouldn't buy a black car, but this one was new, and about $3,000 below INVOICE!

I have had it for nearly two years and 24,000 miles, and have had only two minor problems with it, that were easily fixed by the dealer.

However, I'm starting to have a few problems with my brakes (which have been well documented here), so timtran's advice in the earlier post has been printed out -- we just need to find a good Japanese import shop that can install them.

--Susan--
    Ingtonge - Unfortunately my problem is not a dirty throttle body. As suggested by Vivona's article, I disconnected the air hose and checked for grunge. There was a little, but not much at all. So, I'm due for a new idle speed control motor. Again, if any of you know where this is on the engine, please let me know, so that I can figure out what I'll need to do to replace it. Thanks.
    Mine didn't look dirty either to the eye. What matters is whether the holes are clogged. You cannot see whether the holes are clogged from just peering into the throttle body. But cleaning it sure fixed my stalling problem. You should give it a try, whats the harm? Even a little grunge will cause the problem. Seeing as I had to clean the throttle body twice in one year to alleviate the problem, it apparently occurs often. I would try the cheap and easy fix first before spending money on something that may not fix it. But it may in fact be that idle speed control motor. If it isn't, you saved $150 and a few hours of your time. If it is, it cost you $2 more and 10 extra minutes. At any rate, good luck to you.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll clean it really well this time. If it doesn't work, however, I'm still interested in where the idle speed control motor is on the engine. What size is it? What exactly does it do? Is it a motor, or just a relay? Thanks.
    I was reading through Carpoint and noticed that they have updated the reliability information for the Diamante. All years get the top rating!

The only problem area noted with the 92-95 is moderate problems with the timing belt on the DOHC engine and occasional failure of the Idle Speed Control motor. The 92-94 also shows a moderate problem with air conditioning but that is only because up to 94, Diamantes (like most cars) have R-12 Freon and all cars with R-12 Freon get that rating because repairs are expensive due to the cost and scarcity of R-12.

The 96-99 has no problem areas at all.

It is interesting to note that no year of Diamante shows a problem with brakes. This supports the research I did for my Diamonds and Pearls article on brake pulsation which said that the brake problem in a minor occurence that is created by overtightening of lug nuts or improper shop practice during brake repairs.

To check out the Diamante reliability ratings, visit http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/UsedRelOver/Mitsubishi/Diamante/Used.asp

Mr. Vivona

Get a copy of the Chiltons Galant/Mirage/Diamante 1990-00 Repair Manual for $18 from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0801993156/qid=1000042964/sr=2-1/107-5165334-5614925

On page 4-9 there is a diagram and instructions on how to check and replace the motor. It is called the Idle Air Control motor in Chiltons, but it is the same thing as the Idle Speed Control. It is mounted on the throttle body and turns the throttle shaft. The repair procedure in Chiltons is simplified and will get you going. To set up a new Idle Speed Control motor takes the procedure listed in the official Mitsubishi Diamante Service Manual for your year of Diamante. You can order that manual from Magauto (see below), but expect it to cost over $100.

If you need the part, check the price with http://www.magauto.com/mitsubishi.html who sells at wholesale to the public.

Mr. Vivona

• maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I am looking at a Diamante LS with all the options including chrome wheels. I had the following questions about the car:

1. What does the remote entry do? I have only seen a galant remote and it only locks an unlocks the doors. Other cars have a panic button and trunk opener and was wondering if the diamante's remote does this?

2. What does the engine require/prefer in term of fuel octane?

3. One of the options listed on edmunds was a luxury group. How do I tell if the car has this?

I also wanted opinions and what to look out for? I like these cars because they are sleepers in the market and sell for less than competing models. Thanks
    Dear Mr. Vivona,

I just replaced my idle speed motor and I did not set it up coz I don't know if it has to be done or not. I just reviewed service manual and there is nothing said that new idle motor has to be set up. Please tell me if there's something wrong if I (we) put new motor without setting this up?
    Please note that after replacing it my transmission works funny-sometimes goes smoothly and sometimes rough and it jerks (I can feel downshifts).
    Thanks for any answer regarding this matter.

Jack
    1995 LS (DOHC)
  • john910john910 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98' Diamante LS. When I press on the accelerator and cruise at a steady 40 mph I feel a jitter through the gas pedal. When I speed up it goes away, it happens around 38 to 40 mph. It might be the trans. Any ideas what this could be?
    Here are answers to your questions:

1. What does the remote entry do? I have only seen a galant remote and it only locks an unlocks the doors. Other cars have a panic button and trunk opener and was wondering if the diamante's remote does this?

The remote entry locks and unlocks the doors, has a panic button and trunk opener.

2. What does the engine require/prefer in term of fuel octane?

Premium is preferred, but not required. If you fill with regular, the anti-knock sensor will adjust the engine to work with it, but your performance will be slightly less. If you fill with premium, the engine will work at full power.

3. One of the options listed on edmunds was a luxury group. How do I tell if the car has this?

I have a 1999 Diamante and they sold it as a base model with different upgrade groups, rather than in the ES or LS designation as they have done in all other years. I don't know what the luxury group added to the LS model in 1998. You might want to make a list of all the standard and optional features listed and see what may be missing. Perhaps one of the other online car sites will provide you with more information.

Mr. Vivona
    It is more a case of calibrating the throttle position sensor once the Idle Speed Control (ISC) is replaced. The ISC sets the position of the throttle plate under different conditions. The throttle position sensor (TPS) tells the engine and transmission computers what position you have the throttle at. If the TPS is out of adjustment or is defective, you can end up with a jerky transmission. The factory service manual should list a procedure for testing and calibrating the TPS using a digital voltmeter. You must have a clean throttle body before calibrating the TPS.

Mr. Vivona
    A shudder at around 40 usually indicates a torque converter that is going into and out of lockup. Using a transmission fluid other than the Mitsubishi product specifically recommended for your car can cause this problem. I would start with a A/T fluid and filter change using only the factory filter and the Mitsubishi Diamond ATF called for in you owners manual. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to test the Throttle Position Sensor. Worst case is low internal hydraulic transmission pressures and that can be checked with a pressure gauge following the procedure outlined in the factory service manual for your year of Diamante.

Mr. Vivona
    Dear Mr. Vivona,

Thank you so much for your response.
    I wouldn't imagine that after replacing idle speed control motor some adjustments have to be done. I will go to ahead and have it checked by my mechanic using digital voltometer.

I have one more question. Why transmission and its jerking problem has something to do with TPS?
    Is it connected together? Is this only in Diamantes or is it regular thing that most cars have?

Regards,

Jackieboy
  • tmr2tmr2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    Thank you, Timtran, for the rotor information. I also want to replace mine and don't want to go through the hassle with the dealer. However, I am unable to locate any. I even tried NAPA as you suggested. They only listed rotors for the rear. What year is your Diamante? Mine is a 2000. If yours is a 2000 or the rotors are the same as on a 2000, can you give me the Beck/Arnley part number? Anyone else with info on where to get aftermarket parts for Diamante, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Tom
    Mine is a 99, but it should have the same rotors like yours. You can get the rotors at carparts.com: front rotors part # 083-2708 ($83.28 per disc), semi-metallic front pads part # 087-1446 ($38.50 per 2-wheel set). The rotors are made in Japan, and I have put 2000 miles on them without any problems (I keep my fingers crossed). I re-used the original pads because they were still new, and that combination works fine for me. I bought the Beck/Arnley semi-metallic pads but have not used them yet. In talking with different mechanics and parts suppliers, I am told Beck/Arnley parts are widely used in Europe, and may be the most popular brand. If anything could survive the Autobahn or the streets of Paris (read: much harsher driving conditions), I certainly would give it a try. Along the same line, if you want to read different opinions of cars, try the following magazines: Car, Evo (GB), L'Automobile (F)... although you have to weed out the cars that are not available on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Good luck in your quest for the rotors. Like I had mentioned before, it only took 30 minutes for both wheels (17 mm socket, if my memory serves me well). Do not let the lousy original brake rotors spoil your fun. The D is otherwise a great car. I plan on putting 300,000 miles on it.
    Note: Whoever wants my original brake rotors (21K miles) is welcome to have them, just for the asking. They are good for people who primarily do city driving, where brake pulsation is not a problem.
    jackieboy -- In many cars the TPS tells the automatic transmission computer the position of the gas pedal much in the same way that a mechanical linkage did in older cars. That way the transmission computer knows if you are accelerating, slowing down, etc. and can better select the proper gear in the transmission. If the TPS were to be intermittent, it would give the transmission computer incorrect signals and cause it to shift erratically.

Mr. Vivona
    Dear Mr. Vivona,

Thanks again for your info and another details about TPS & Transmission. As of today I haven't had time to go to my mechanic and have it checked and measured using digital voltmeter. Hopefully I will do this during the weekend.

Peace!

jackieboy
    This Monday I put Premium - 93 octane gas into my tank. I noticed a big improvement in gas mileage and performance. My car accelerates faster and drives smoother than before when I used to use regular or mid-grade fuel.

Did anyone notice that too?
    Sorry...No 93 octane in California!

They used to have 92 Octane, and just recently and and without fanfare replaced it with 91 Octane.
    What state are you in and what gas company sells 93 octane?

-C-
  • zimonawhim1zimonawhim1 Member Posts: 10
    My 92 LS has 82k. I figure now is a good time to replace the timing belt. I've read more than once that D's don't have a particularly long belt life so it's best to be safe than sorry. Here are my questions. I've seen great disparity among belt prices (38$-100$). Is there a recommendation anyone has? Should I apply the "get what you pay for" philosophy with these prices? At this age and mileage what else should I be looking to replace(routine maintenance)? I want to be ahead of the game. The car runs smooth and feels great and most of my driving is spent below 2500rpm. I want to keep it going as long as I can!
    Ccancio,

I live in Streamwood, IL - 40 miles from Chicago.

Premium fuel (93 octane) I bought at Mobil.
    I used to buy gas from CLARK or AMOCO but I recently found one MOBIL station that has premium fuel for lower prices than others - $1.79/gallon;

jackieboy
    The Diamante will run on any grade gasoline, but with different results. If you put in regular, the engine computer will adjust the engine to run on it, but your gas mileage and performance will be a bit lower. If you put in the recommended premium, the engine computer will adjust the engine settings to get the best performance. Depending on how many miles you drive, the annual cost savings between regular and premium is probably not great enough to merit running on regular. For example, at 10,000 miles per year and 20 MPG, you use 500 gallons per year. At a cost difference of 20 cents per gallon, that comes to $100 more per year to run on premium, or about $2.00 per week. If that bothers you, what are you driving a car in the Diamante price range for?

Mr. Vivona
    I would only use a genuine Mitsubishi timing belt. When you use aftermarket, quality can vary widely and a timing belt is no place to take a chance on quality. Price the belt at your dealer's parts department. If it is too expensive, you can save about 25% by ordering it from www.magauto.com

Other things to replace during the belt replacement are the drive belts, the timing belt tensioner and, at 82K miles, it may be good practice to replace the water pump. The reason to replace the water pump is that you can only get to it by taking off the timing belt, so while you are in there anyway, many mechanics recommend to go ahead and put a new water pump in. However, water pumps last for a long time and I have had dealers tell me they leave the water pump in place if it isn't leaking or the shaft is not wobbly. Another thing to look at are the gear shaft oil seals. If you see any oil leaking from the shaft of any of the gears that the timing belt goes around, replace the seal while you are in there. If you are not doing the work yourself, ask your mechanic to look at the things I mentioned above.

And, if you need any parts, such as the water pump, tensioner, seals, etc, once again, I recommend only genuine Mitsubishi parts to be sure of quality and fit.

Mr. Vivona
    My wife finally gave up her 1989 Galant and traded for a brand new 2002 Diamante. She loved that Galant so much and never had a problem with it in the 13 years she owned it. I thought she would never trade. But I noticed that the 2002 Diamante has a dealer cash incentive of $2,000 until 9-30-2001, so I told her that if she was ever interested in trading, this would be a good time. She really liked the look of the 2002 and got a fair trade for her Galant, so she is now driving a new Franklin Silver 2002 Diamante LS. My 1999 is also silver.

Both of our cars are the same color, but her 2002 has the redesigned front and back. I notice that they have added power lumbar control, steering wheel audio controls, the luminescent dash and immobilizer security keys since my 1999 Diamante. Other than that, we are driving essentially the same cars. How cute... his and her Diamantes!

By the way, if you can find leftover 2001 Diamantes, they are offering a customer incentive of $2,500 PLUS a dealer cash incentive of $1,000 on 2001 models. We had the opportunity to buy a 2001 LS for $3,500 under invoice, but it was green with tan leather and my wife just didn't like the color. The 2001 incentives also expire after September 30, 2001.

Mr. Vivona
    Mr. Vivona...
    ...For the life of me, I do not understand why you did not pull the old "Oh Honey... why don't you take my ole' car while I'll go ahead and buy me a new one..." trick???

It worked for me...hehe!

Sigh...
    -C-
    Why not give her the 1999 and buy a new one? My wife was very attached to her 1989 Galant and it took the attraction of having a brand new car...newer than mine...to motivate her to trade at this time. She could have easily driven that Galant for many more years.

Also, I only have 21,000 miles on mine and I have made a few modifications that I like, like adding an underseat drawer to the passenger seat. The new LS has a power passenger seat and that takes up the room that is needed for the drawer. I like the cassette player in my 1999 because I sing as a hobby and I can set the cassette player to repeat a selection while I learn the song. Though I could burn single song CD's and use the repeat function, it is just easier to have one tape of 20 songs and pick my song and let it repeat. If I ever want to add a CD player to my car, it will be easier than adding a cassette player to hers.

And, like her, I get attached to a car and I really like my 1999.

Mr. Vivona
  • tmr2tmr2 Member Posts: 5
    Timtran, Thanks again for the information. I think you're right about 1999 and 2000 being the same, but while I was in the middle of all that I found some performance rotors and pads for my 2000, so I went for them. More expensive, yes, but as ccancio says, we've got to find things to spend money on :) I installed everything today, and you were right, very easy job. We'll see how they perform after a few thousand miles. BTW, anyone else interested in non-factory rotors. After I purchased mine, another vendor got back to me who works in parts at a Mitsu dealer and he said that Mitsu (at least HIS Rep.) will replace factory rotors under warranty with Power Slot rotors. He says Mitsu has admitted there is a problem with the factory rotors. I asked him via email if I could list his name and number here, but he never got back to me, so I won't (don't know if I can in this newsgroup anyway). But for those interested you can always ask your dealer.
    Tom