Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    just read through the last few posts. have to say: anyone that thinks that Hyundai brakes are bad enough to cause three rear end collision needs a reality check. not being mean here, but the ONLY thing that causes one to ram into another from behind is careless/reckless driving. period. ask any competent law enforcement officer. brakes have nothing to do with it. kind of makes me laugh. "officer, yes, i know, this is the third time i have slammed my car into someone. but, please, you must understand, i am driving a Hyundai!" i would pay a huge amount of money to see the look on the police officers face. priceless.
  • joseph_owensjoseph_owens Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this situation... I have a 2000 Sonata GLS, and I've been happy with the warranty/dealership up to this point (especially when the transmission needed replacement at 50K miles - no charge). I purchased a 10/100 extended protection plan with the car at the dealership. Now, however, my car has just passed 60K miles and the extended protection plan has kicked in -- and, right on cue, the Sonata needed work. The O-2 sensors (which have been replaced before) are covered, but something called a Crankshaft Position Sensor is not covered, according to the dealership's service manager. Can Hyundai just exclude whatever they want? The EPP I purchased was represented to me as a 100K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    joseph_owens... The warranty is a contract. You are both bound by its terms. It covers what it covers and nothing more. Or less. Do you have a complete copy of it? Read it over very carefully. First couple steps I'd take are to discuss it with the dealership and get them to show you specifically where the item in question is NOT covered. And you can also call Hyundai's Customer Service number and discuss the issue with them.
  • drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    The crankshaft position sensor is part of the engine, and I just had mine replaced at 57,000 miles due to the engine acting up and not letting me go above 3000 RPM in my 2000 GLS. This should be covered under the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty.
    In today's car section of the Omaha World-Herald, there is an ad for Stan Olsen Hyundai. They are offering the following monstrosity:

"Luxury Choice--'03 Sonata Grand Touring Package, carriage roof and gold plating, exclusively at Stan Olsen". [No price given.]

Run, don't walk, away from this beast and dealers that do this kind of auto malpractice. Can only imagine how garish it is and the markup. What a waste!
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    1999 GLSV6, Ebony Black Sonata. Automatic, everything minus abs.
    it is about 6 weeks over 4 years old. 103,000 miles.
    Here is what I fixed out of pocket so far:
    1) Vapor recirculation thing for fuel tank(emissions control: cost was 350 dollars. I did get taken . Another place woul dhave done it for 100 dollars less).
    2) New Alternator at 99,000 miles a few months back.
    That was 550 dollars for everything.

Not fixed(and will not be fixed. may get a cheap boom box with 150 watts/cd player, and plug into 12V outlet)
    Cd/Cassette player is dead.
    Only radio works. Was quoted 800-1000 dollars for new system to be ordered/installed!
    No "wrecks" at the "junk yard", either. I checked.

I will keep the car until it is in bad shape, or I can afford a new car,again(in 4-5 years).
    I like it,still.

Do not know what I will buy next time. I never know until the last moment(have owned Chevy,Nissan,Hyundai).
    If they have something that looks good, runs good, and fair priced, I will return. If I see something I like better, elsewhere, I will go there.
    I do like the Hyundai, though.
  • waxywaxy Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2001 Sonata GLS V6 new just over 2 years ago and have been very pleased with performance to date. Now, with just over 40,000 kms (24,000 miles) on the odometer, I'm suddenly experiencing electrical system problems - very sluggish starter, clock auto-resetting to 1:00 o'clock, etc.

The original battery is still in the car and I'm wondering what others may have experienced in terms of an effective lifetime for these batteries.

Thanks, Waxy

PS - BTW, I do try to conserve battery output but we've just finished with a long, hot summer and the air conditioning has been on a lot...
    On my 2000 GLS the battery started going bad at 57,000 miles, but if you live in a colder climate that can shorten the life of the battery.
  • ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    My family owns a 2000 Sonata V6 and it's got about 81000 kms. We experienced similar problem with the battery life (sluggish start mainly), and talked to our friend mechanic and informed us that Hyundai uses not so great battery, which lacks the power especially in brutal Canadian weather. New battery gives absolutely no problem and I'm glad cuz last Toronto winter was in one word BRUTAL!

All in all, cars running flawlessly except for a CEL that we had about a year ago. Hopefully, the car will be good for another 100K.

Steve
  • ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    Just referring back to several previous posts regarding brake performance.....

I'm not gonna argue with anyone regarding stats in auto magazines.... I agree that the Sonata doesn't have the brake performance of a Porsche but it's not so bad that it would cause rear end collisions. Come on guys!!! Can't you guys judge distance?? Aren't you guys familiar with your cars limits by now?? I live in Toronto, Canada and I've faced 3 brutal Canadian winters with the Sonata without winter tires nor ABS. Did I have any single problem with the brakes? NOPE. It's all matter of judgement and with little precaution, accidents can be avoided. Don't blame your mistakes on the car.

Steve
  • 747pilot747pilot Member Posts: 38
    I took delivery of a 2004 Sonata LX with the package 7 last week. So far all is good and I am really enjoying the car. Nice and smooth ride and loaded with more features then a Mercedes Benz.

I do have a question about my floor mats. My Sonata is Desert Sand with the beige interior. It came with black floor mats. They look so out of place. I asked my dealer if it had the right colored floor mats and they said all the 2004's have black floor mats.

I just don't like the look so I called the Hyundai customer service number. They of coarse did not have a clue on what colored floor mats my car was should have. All they would say is my dealer should order the correct color for an exchange.

Did I get the incorrect color for my floor mats or is black they only color they come in?
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The Elantra has color-keyed mats available (I have two sets), so I would imagine the Sonata does as well. Check the website, www.hyundaiusa.com for confirmation.
    I just got a post card saying my plates are in.
    So I will be heading back to the dealer in a couple of days. I will tell them again I got the wrong colored floor mats. Hopefully they will just order the beige colored ones and exchange them out. If not I might just buy the beige ones and keep the black ones around as a spare or for use during the winter. I was planning on ordering the cargo net anyway.

I know for a fact that my Sonata came with the wrong mats. My dealer was still selling the 2003 models but I wanted the LX with package 7. So we had to drive up to the second lot. They just got the 2004's in and they have not even been prepared yet. They still had the plastic all over them. I had a choice between White Pearl, Slate Grey or Desert Sand. I thought the Desert Sand color was the most classy. As I was checking out the car for defects I noticed it had black mats sitting in the trunk.

Of coarse I was so excited about buying the new car I forgot about the wrong colored mats. I mentioned it as the salesman was going over the checklist. That is when he said all the 2004's are coming with black mats. They stay cleaner. I kind of doubt that.

Unfortunately it seems dealers are not very willing to fix anything after you sign the paperwork. Although the wrong floor mats is pretty obvious error.
  • David EhrlichmanDavid Ehrlichman Member Posts: 47
    I have an 03' sonata with beige mats (Car is pearl).
    I'll take those black mats off your hands if you want to get rid of them.
  • chromemanchromeman Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 GLS V-6 is in for its 60K check up and they recommended I replace the timing belt for $325.00 is this a little early in miles to be worring about a timing belt?
    No, 60K miles is NOT too early! Better to do it when recommended (most cars require this at 60K) than to have it snap and damage key engine parts. This isn't like waiting another 1000 miles for your next oil change.
    I have owned my 2004 Sonata LX for almost a month now. So far everything has been great and everyone loves the style. In fact a co worker went out and just bought one just like mine only a different color.

I am currently trying to figure out if my Sonata is equiped with a cabin filter? I have been told that some have it and some don't. Mine is a fully loaded LX with the package 7. The owners manual talks about it but only says (IF INSTALLED). Not sure if it is related but I have the Type A auto climate control system.

I believe on the 99-01 Sonata's the base did not have a cabin filter but the GLS and above models had it as standard. Not sure if this is the same for the 02 and above models.

As a folow up on my floor matts my dealer exchanged them out with the proper color with out any hassle. However now that I had both colors installed the black was not half bad actually. It added a bit of contrast to the interior and they don't show dirt at all. Maybe I will order a set of black matts in the future.
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Member Posts: 212
    Yep! Only the base model Sonata lacks the cabin filter though it can be added just for the cost of a replacement filter element (~$35.00 U.S.). When I put one in my Sonata, the only sources I found were Kia and Hyundai dealers. The only complaint I have with these filters is that while they're apparently a HEPA-type*, they do not contain activated charcoal for odor control. (Stinky diesels still stink if you're behind one.)

*I'm going strictly by the appearance of the filter medium compared with replacement HEPA filters used in residential forced air heating and air conditioning systems - no where on the Sonata's cabin airfilter or its shipping carton does the acronym, "HEPA", appear.
  • bloodclotbloodclot Member Posts: 9
    I've had my Sonata for about 9 months now and it's been a great car from day 1. I do 95% city driving and I get a consistent 20MPG. I have roughly 7800 miles on the car now and the only problem I've encountered was about 80 miles ago the engine light came on while I was driving the car and with that, whenever I applied the break or turned on the blinker, the "R" (reverse) light on the instrument panel came on. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace some switch (I forgot what its called) to fix the engine light problem and they found a faulty ground that they fixed which solved the "R" light problem. No charge, no hassles and the dealership was great. The other thing I have found with this car is that when you start the car in the morning, if you only let the car warm up for about thirty seconds, the transmission will have trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear but if you let it warm up for about 90 seconds (longer in cold weather) the transmission will shift smoothly. Power wise, its no drag racer but has been more than adequate for my needs. Handling has been good but there is body roll in sharp turns. The ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable. My 9 year old daughter loves the fold-down center console in the back seat. The build quality is excellent. It really is a tight and solid car. When I had the car in the shop, the dealership gave me a Chevy Malibu as my loaner-car that had about 500 more miles on it than my car and the Malibu just didn't feel like it was put together as well as the Sonata. Now the question is; would I buy another Hyundai product? Answer: in a heartbeat!
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Hi -

Long time, no type.

Purchased *TWO* identical Sonatas in early 2000. Year 2000 GLS V6 w/ package 13 (both).

Here's the latest:

(1) the plastic "shell" housing the wheel wells in the front - the right front (passenger side) is cracked. Oddly enough, this is considered "cosmetic," although the break allows water to spray into the engine compartment and the quarter panel under wet road conditions.

Given the warranty considers this "cosmetic" and given water gets in, I gotta pay to fix it.

(2) a bit of protective trim on the seat frame (driver's side front) is now peeking out from under the leather. Unfortunately, it does not want to go back under the leather.

(3) the driver's side window regulator snapped - for the THIRD time, but the dealership decided to charge me $14 + tax to "lubricate" the window tracks: the broken regulator is still in the door. Had I checked the itemization at the dealer, I would have inserted my foot in the service idiot's anus.

(4) developed a crack and some water in the passenger side headlight (suspect it's related to number 1 above).

(5) have the warped break / rotor thing going on, despite the same situation being fine not-so-long ago.

Ladies and gentlemen, after living with this car for nearly four years and watching it wear - AND while taking good care of both vehicles as far as general and preventative maintenance, I announce, with sorrow, I have concluded that the 2000 Sonata is a bit of crap (not to mince words).

I loved the "tightness" and "quality" when it was new, but it seems to wear out *MUCH* too quickly.

As for the plastic wheel well - this is the first time in my life I have *EVER* found a structural component of a vehicle to be considered a "wear part."

Thus goes the story of my first two (and last two) Hyundais: next time, I'll pay too much for a Honda that's a bit more durable, crack-proof, and water-tight.

You can bet I'm gonna raise hell on these issues, though: this is the stupidest situation I have encountered in 20 years behind the wheel of a car.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
    This is just amazing: the dealership refuses responsibility for the misdiagnosed window regulator at this point. AND Hyundai Corporate cannot get their hands on the Hatfield Hyundai (Columbus, OH) to get an appointment to inspect this cracked wheel well.

Lemme tell ya, my rose-colored glasses are off . . . and the color is much more brown and the smell more foul.

I'm pretty darn angry!

*sigh*

Well, count me in as a supporter of fast, high-quality light rail because the consumer never deals with the maintenance!

Hope y'all have a good weekend . . . .
    Sonatabean,
    Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I bought a 2000 GLS in March of 2000 and absolutely love it.

I just took it in for the 60,000 mile service two days ago with 59,000+ on the odometer. The dealership was out of loaners, so they called Enterprise and I got a rental 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT for the day, paid for by the dealership.

I told them in addition to the 60,000 mile service I would like to have the rotors machined since I was getting a bit of pulsing in the pedal under moderate braking. They said no problem.

I received a few update calls from the dealership during the day. In addition to the 60,000 mile service they: machined the rotors under warranty, replaced the fuel pressure regulator under warranty, replaced the ignition wire set under warranty, replaced the timing belt auto tensioner under warranty and replaced the radiator cap under warranty. The service manager told me that none of these parts were in big time danger of failing, but they were looking slightly symptomatic so he decided to replace them under warranty since my warranty is about ready to expire.

I guess it all depends on the service department at the dealership. I count myself lucky to have a good service department nearby.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    While you do have some issues worth complaining about, the wheel well liner is not one of them. It is not a "structural member". It's simply a plastic shroud that helps cut road noise and looks cleaner than looking at bare metal. Seeing as how this shroud can be broke by road debris, you better believe no warranty will cover it. Do you expect Hyundai to replace your windshield when it gets wacked by a rock?? A crack in the shroud is not a problem. It's not going to harm anything and essentially the dealer is right when they said it's cosmetic.
    My 2000 Sonata GLS V6 5-speed manual with Pkg 13 has passed 49,000 miles. Had her for 2 1/2 years. She is holding up very well. Other than the brake rotor issue, I'm a very happy camper. Fantastically reliable car that runs like a top. Heck, even the leather is wearing nicely. Seats look better now than when I bought them. (In their original state, they looked a bit too much like vinyl.)

Ingtonge18... Think I've had my window repaired 6 times due to rock chips. She is a bit cratered in middle, but the repairs are keeping her together. USAA, my insurance company covers repairs for free.
    Sonatabean, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. My 2003 has been great so far and the dealership has been wonderful. When I took the car in for the engine light problem, I had intended on waiting for the car because I figured it wasn't going to take too long to fix but the service rep told me that it would be better if they got me a loaner-car. I didn't even ask for it, they simply gave it to me. They called Enterprise and got me a Malibu. I had it for two days, no charge. Drimple is right, I guess it all depends on the dealers service department. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Drimple, off topic note: I'm curious, what was your impression of the Grand Prix?
  • gadaomangadaoman Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the key slot on the driver's door is supposed to illuminate on my new 2003 Sonata? There appears to be a ring around the slot on the driver's door, similar to the one that lights up on the steering column. The dealer doesn't know if it's supposed to light or not.
    Bloodclot,
    I liked the giddyup of the 3.8 liter V6 in the Grand Prix and the car handled well. However, the interior speaks too much of testosterone and is too aggressively styled for my tastes.
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Member Posts: 212
    According to the owner's manual, if your car is equipped with that feature, it's activated for 10 seconds when you lift up the door opener.
  • roadpilot3roadpilot3 Member Posts: 17
    Hey drimple, I to have a 2000 gls with 54000 miles I love the car but not the service dept. Please say you are in the central New Jersey area. so in could use the same dealer. I had the plusating brake but they would not cover it.
  • roadpilot3roadpilot3 Member Posts: 17
    The dealer is Sansone RT 1 Hyundai in Avenel,New Jersey.
    Sorry, but I am in Madison, Wisconsin. Bit too far of a drive for a New Jerseyer, methinks.
    My dealer is Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury. They have been great for me.
    break down of situation - Mom needs a car SOON. she did last year, but she inherited a car that would "do" for the time being. it is now getting ready to die. so:

she is soon to be in the market again, and is convinced that she wants a Sonata. the reasons are: the warranty and price.

she requires a V6. so, she could get a V6 in the Sonata, for the same price as a 4 cylinder Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. seriously, her current car has almost 300k miles. she drives a lot. at least 65 miles a day. that is just to work and back. not counting errands. the warranty helps in this regard, since it is nice and long. but a warranty only helps so much. it doesn't PREVENT problems, only pays for them.

would all of you be comfortable letting a loved one buy a Sonata, for the long haul? my Mom does not know a thing about cars. all she knows it how it feels when she steps on the gas. i worry about what happens when she is driving through the mountains at 100k miles. i know that in a Camry or Honda, if maintained, there is a good chance that she won't break down. do you really feel as comfortable in the Hyundai at that point?

anyone got their V6 Hyundai's up to that mileage yet? 100k miles or higher?

thanks!
    First of all, the Sonata has been rated by actual Sonata owners in Consumer Reports as having "above average" reliability. That is to say, its reliability is above the ever-improving reliability of all cars averaged over the past three years. That is pretty good for a company most of us wrote off five or more years ago.

Second, you are right that maintenance has plenty to do with the longevity of any car, Honda-durable or not. A car I bought brand new in 1987 was kept in good condition through proper maintenance (following the normal schedule, NOT the "severe usage" schedule) and lasted me more than 10 years before I sold it. It had 227K miles on it and the first major repair occurred at 191K miles (head gasket). Was it a Honda? No, a low-tech Mercury Lynx (Escort twin) with a 5-speed. Sold with original exhaust, original starter, original alternator, original radiator and original clutch.

My 2001 Elantra has been wonderful these past two years, and is well-maintained. I encourage you to trust Mom's choice, because this company has worked very hard to overcome their past bad reputation. If only every company worked this hard to improve their products. Keep us posted!
    thanks. Mom actually had a 1983 Mercury Lynx automatic, no a/c, back in the day. got to about 200k miles. i thought she was the only one that bought the Lynx instead of Escort.

i know that Hyundai has improved. but i am wondering if the improvement is for short term quality, vs. long term quality. not bashing Hyundai at all, just trying to find anyone that has good 100k miles and over experiences. hard to find.....why aren't people keeping their Hyundai's?
    Wow, I also had an '83 Lynx, but it only lasted me to 33K before I traded it. The opposite experience from my '87's long life.

I can only speculate that people don't keep their Hyundais for VERY long (if that is so) perhaps because they still fear that the old reputation may come back to bite them. I'm not like that. My '01 Elantra will be with me at least as long as my good Lynx, because I did alot of research that pointed to a strong effort by the company to do better. The effort is indeed showing up in far superior cars than they made in the past, and in my opinion, far superior cars than most domestic products. I am convinced that mine will last for the long haul. Now let's hear from people who have crossed the 100K mark!
  • safetyredsafetyred Member Posts: 14
    I currently have a 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe that I leased that I am now turning in, in a month. I am looking to buy this time, and have had to test drive cars because of what Honda did to the Accord. I think they did a MAJOR disservice to themselves with the new body style, but that's just my opinion. I test drove a '03 Tiburon GT V6, and a '04 Sonata GLS V6. I was pleasently surprised with both cars, but I'm leaning more towards the Sonata. The sticker price on this particular Sonata was $19,333. The only option on it was the sunroof. If I wanted the ABS with TC, the sticker went up to $20,033. I don't like the fact that all I really wanted was the ABS, but it seems like I can't just get that, in order to get the ABS, I have to take the sunroof as well. I've looked up the true market value here on Edmund's, but what have some of you guys and gals paid for a Sonata GLS V6? Or what do you think would be a fair price to pay, cause lord knows I'm not paying $20,033!! And also, if you had a choice between the Tiburon GT V6 or the Sonata GLS V6, which one would you choose, and why? Thank you very much for your responses.
  • lakelandfllakelandfl Member Posts: 10
    I have a new 2003 Sonata GLS V6 with the ABS and no sunroof and i love the car . This car is just such a nice driveing car and for the money you can't buy a car like this for around $17k . I like the car and everytime i drive it i like it even more . The V6 is great it will get up and go i'm up to 95 MPH befor i know it on i4 .I try not to drive fast but in this Sonata V6 it's hard to keep the speed below 90MPH on the highway . I did have new mag wheels put on it last week and wow do they make the car hug the road .I tell all my friends that Hyundai has come along way and there right up there with honda and toyota.I love the way the Sonata looks i get ask all the time if i drive a Jag S-Type the Sonata and the Jag Stype look so much alike .I would tell everyone to buy a Hyundai there great cars .
    I bought my 03 GLS back in December 02 for invoice price, around 17K and the only options it had was ABS and mudguards, no sunroof. I haven't priced the 04's but you should be able to get something similar for around the same price.
  • safetyredsafetyred Member Posts: 14
    Thank you lakelandfl and bloodclot for your responses. I'm getty antsy trying to negotiate a deal here. The dealership I was at last night told me that since I didn't want the sunroof, that they would "deal" on it. I said that I wanted it for free. They said that the most they could do was come down some, but not give it to me for free. It is only $700!! Not to mention that we didn't even start to talk about the sticker price. The guy must have thought I was a real sucker, and that he had me reeled right in, but when I walked out, I knew he was quite shocked. What really made me mad was when he said that there was a tiny markup on the Sonata, or any Hyundai for that matter. And that we all know is BS! I just hate being lied to. But thank you for your responses, at least I know now realistically what people are paying for the '03 Sonata GLS V6.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Price out the Sonata with options on carsdirect.com. You should not pay more than their price. If the dealer won't meet or beat it, buy from carsdirect!

I bought a new 2003 4 cylinder automatic Sonata for my stepson in March for $11,988 after rebates (including $1,000 loyalty rebate). I believe the sticker was $17,538...

I always use carsdirect price as my benchmark when buying a car... :)
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Check Fitzmall.com'price and ask your dealer to match it, I think they have the lowest prices in the country.
    I own an 03 Tiburon GT V6 and absolutely love it. I have never gotten so many compliments on a car or had people check out my car so much. Which car is better for you all stems from what you want in a car. If you want a hey-look-at-me sporty coupe with tight handling and a firm ride, then choose the Tiburon. If you prefer room for 4 adults, 4 doors, a comfy soft ride and can deal with the average handling, then choose the Sonata. Both cars are basically the same, just aimed at different markets. I don't have a family nor any plans to make one, so the Tiburon fit me perfectly.
    How are the Sonata and Tib "basically the same"? The Tib is based on Elantra mechanicals, not the larger Sonata.
    The old Tiburon was simply an Elantra 2 door. The current Tiburon's platform is a very heavily modified Elantra platform. The main thing it shares with the Elantra is the base four cylinder. It has more in common with the Sonata, seeing as how it shares the Sonata's V6, automatic tranny, front disc brakes (probably the rear brakes as well), suspension design (different tuning), etc. It weighs more than the Elantra despite being shorter. Performance wise, the Tiburon is closer to the Sonata than the Elantra.
    lngtonge18 - so, if I understand you, my car has metal wheel wells?

Metal wheel wells that should, hypothetically, be keeping me from seeing the engine compartment from behind the right front wheel when I kneel beside the front fender?

Metal wheel wells that should, hypothetically, be keeping water and road debris out of the engine compartment and front-end lighting hardware?

Metal wheel wells that should, hypothetically, be preventing water from entering the headlight and side-mounted turn signal . . . both of which the dealer replaced at the same fateful appointment because there was, in fact, water in them . . . and replaced under warranty, ironically enough?

Metal wheel wells that should, hypothetically, have prevented water from now entering and pooling in the *NEW* lights, that were replaced under warranty?

Basically, either (1) you have no idea what you are talking about if you are incorrect in your assessment or (2) my car has even bigger problems than I thought if you are correct in your assessment, for this car *HAS NO METAL WHEEL WELLS* - and, further, ALL of those circumstances I just described above exist.

Trim? My middle-aged behind!

Trim just ain't responsible for that set of problems! Trim means "look pretty." It's what kids spend a lot of time putting on their Honda Civics so balding guys like me are "fooled" into believing they actually drive an Acura Pocket-Rocket despite the "diesel-powered food processor" noises from under the hood.

joseph_owens: get that crankshaft sensor fixed. Mine failed under 12,000 miles and started my car *BACKFIRING,* which should simply not happen in a fuel-injected vehicle.

Given that part should never fail during the life of the engine, your warranty should cover the issue. Call Hyundai Customer Service - you may need their intervention.
    A modified Elantra platform is correct, stuffed with a Sonata V6.
    Huh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were complaining that your wheel well LINER cracked. This LINER is a PLASTIC piece that covers the entire wheel well area. If you take this LINER off, there is a METAL quarter panel underneath it. If your METAL quarterpanel cracked then that is a major problem and is unheard of unless some major stress occured (think accident). If the PLASTIC liner cracked, then that is a cosmetic issue and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the water getting into your lights. Your water leakage problem stems from either a crack in the headlight assembly or a bad seal. I was simply pointing out that the plastic LINER is NOT a structural member of the car and is not a major issue. It is there for cosmetic purposes only, just like the plastic engine cover. And yes, its normal to see the engine through a small hole in the quarter panel. Many cars allow this, even Japanese ones. In fact, Daewoo didn't even see fit to put a plastic wheel well liner on their Lanos and there was a hole large enough to stick my hand through and visibly see a good portion of the engine and exhaust manifold.
    Do you think driving an Elantra will be a good indication of how the Tiburon drives? I didn't think so. However, a Tiburon GT V6 auto would accelerate and stop the same as a Sonata V6, thus why I stated they are basically the same. Performance is similar, with the main differences being room and handling.
    My Dear Fellow -

I never said the word "liner." You did!

There is *NO* metal wheel well hub on this particular car. I have heard of oddities originally destined for other nations coming to USA shores before, but this may well take the cake . . . . Unless, of course, all such cars are like this???

There is a little metal rim about the thickness of my hand that follows a small semi-circular arc near where the axel (front brake assembly) attach to the suspension.

The rest of the entire wheel well is a giant, heavy, extruded plastic "arc" that attaches to the body with plastic rivets.

Actually, it's now disintigrating - the hole grows bigger: ya can stick yer had through it and grab the front passenger wheel.

And that just ain't supposed to be ya know?

Warranty, warrant, warranty.

They'll replace this under warranty, lest I hang them by their naughty bits.

Stupidist bit of engineering I have *EVER* seen.