Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Hi Billward

Thank so much for your reply Yes the lay out is the same as my car The instrument panel layout is the same,the speedo on my car only has KMP hour, no miles per hour. The wood grain looks a little darker . thanks again for your time.
    Jack :D
    I got a 2004 Sonata and I have be told by 3 people at work that my car has an ugly front ! they have all said the back and sides of the car have good lines ,but the headlights and grill are ugly . Well I say ! the grill is not the best design it's not ugly! The headlights are a great design . Well each to they own. :D
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I have an '03. From the front doors rearward, that generation Sonata's a melange of Jaguar styling cues - and for the most part, quite pleasant. (I love to park beside Jag X-Types - really messes with their owners' heads. One guy actually got back in his X-Type, started it, and moved down three spaces after I told him mine was bigger than his. [Gosh, could it have been something I said?] Must've thought my Hyundai was gonna get his Jag in a family way... ;)) But the prior Sonata's uninspired front grill looks like it would've been more at home on a Toyota Tundra pickup truck as far as I'm concerned. The double-tiered headlight motif is pure C-Class Mercedes-Benz. Funny - no one complains about that headlight styling on the Benz...
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I like the way the entire car looks. To me, the grill looks fine.

But, jeez Ray, take it easy on those Jag guys, they spent all that money on something that isn't as reliable.

One night following a meeting a bunch of us stopped for a couple drinks. One of the guys has a silver Jag, same color as my Sonata and we parked next to each other. Someone walking by remarked about how similar the two cars looked. Thought my friend was going to unload in his pants. When we came out, some jerk had broken and stolen the cat from his hood. It was all I could do to not tell him that our cars now looked even more alike. It was unfortunate for him, but kinda perversely funny to me.
    Yes two of the work mates said the rear of the car reminded them of a Jag. I have to look out for some Jag to park next too and i see what happen.I think the same way about the headlights do look like C- Class M-Benz . When you are in the driver seat, looking over that nice Bonnet line(The curves) I do feel good . Just after I posted , I went out washed the car .I look at the front of the car and have changed my mine about the grill , like bhmr59 I think the car looks great ! Cheers bhmr59 You could say we got Three cars styles in one When I was looking at grill , The area that is straight below the grill ,would it look good with the grill there too. :D
    There are some low life around ! taking the cat. My Sonata is Silver . Have you seen one in Black , I have seen one which was dark green and that looked very cool very up market
  • sonataloversonatalover Member Posts: 10
    I had the timing belt of my '99 4 cylinder Sonata replaced twice and NEVER had a loud tapping. I put 160k on that car and never had any engine problems. I did all of the preventative maintenance: oil change every 3k, tranny & radiator service every 30k, timing belt replaced every 60k.

Perhaps the timing belt was installed incorrectly? It's a rather odd coincidence that the piston began tapping immediately following replacement of the timing belt.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    To be honest, the FRONT quarter perspective (to my eye) is the most pleasing; I'm actually less enamored of the rear of the car.

Judge by yourself (those pictures posted earlier).

However, I think the car is VERY attractive, and had the same issue the other day with a Jag... could have sworn it was my car, until I got close enough (it was dark) to see that it was Blue, not Red. Then got closer, and realized it was a Jag.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "Perhaps the timing belt was installed incorrectly? It's a rather odd coincidence that the piston began tapping immediately following replacement of the timing belt." ((

Good catch. If one or more index marks weren't precisely aligned* at the time of the new timing belt installation for whatever reason, pistons can "kiss" valves that aren't sufficiently retracted as they're in the process of closing - definitely NOT a good thing. At the very least the owner needs to confront the shop about this and demand that the head(s) be pulled to verify the condition of the valves (and replace as may be necessary) and then finish up by properly retiming the valve action. This would be the shop's monetary obligation, not the car owner's.

*possibilities include:
    - bad or improperly bled autotensioner
    - misaligned timing mark(s)
    - inadvertently rotating the crankshaft backward (or intentionally doing so to achieve alignment with its index on the cylinder block)
    I went to the car dealer to see if they could pull a rear spoiler on my car ,But they could not get one for my car.2004 must have been to old of a model . So got on the net found one in Australia ,But not the best looking rear spoiler so did not get it as it was a spoiler that is the same width as Boot factory style. Last week seen a Sonata with a very nice looking spoiler it went across the hole car not like the Factory spoiler that end at boot line This spoiler went over the sides pass the boot line about 3 inch .I talk to the owner and he pointed out something about his spoiler every time he open the boot he has to remember to turn the radio off as he has replaced one power Antenna all ready . So the Factory may not be nice looking to me but it is practical.I like the back of the car and when you see one with a good spoiler it does look good.
  • kalevkalev Member Posts: 1
    I've got a pretty standard 2002. Someone gave us an XM radio receiver and an iPod (they upgraded, we gladly take their hand-me-downs).

Question I have is how to I connect these to the standard radio? FM transmitter is NOT an option where I live, too many radio stations interfere.

Shouldn't there be an easy AUX cable I can plug into the radio, with a Y cable to run one of these at a time?

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

K
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Funny you should mention that...

I saw a Sonata just yesterday (right after I read this post) that has that kind of spoiler (it was a slightly older Sonata, though... before the "Jag" Sonatas, but still that same body style; 2000-2002??)

They had that exact kind of situation with the spoiler, and had a non-retreating antennae in that spot. In my 2003, if the radio is not on, and not on RADIO, the antennae goes down. Turn off the car, antennae retracts. Is that the same in the even older Sonatas?

Spoiler looked ok, but not enough that I would go out and get one.
  • carolinacarcarolinacar Member Posts: 5
    We test drove an 05 Sonata today for the first time. We were actually shopping for a Mazda Protege or Mazda3 for my son to take to college. Value-wise, the Sonata blew the mazdas out of the water. It was so impressive that we nearly bought it immediately, but I wanted to do a little reseach first.
    Since it was the last year before the model change, are there any good reasons to opt for an 06 over an 05 ? Visually, I like the 05 better, just not sure of any other changes.
    Looks like the MSRP is nearly 2k lower on the 07 Sonata compared to the 05, with the newer model getting sigificantly better gas mileage. Hmm. Seeing alot of used 05 and 06 for sale with low mileage. Not sure what that means...
    What are some things to watch for when buying a low mleage
    used Sonata ? Leaning toward an 05 at this point. Frankly, the used ones seem to good to be true, for the money. Lots and lots available with under 30,000 miles. What's the catch ?
    I bought an '05 GLS Special Value in April, '05. About 12,500 miles now. Not one problem with the car. It's only gone in for service for oil changes and tire rotation. The GLS SV was only available in the '05 model year. It was essentially an LX, lacking only leather seats and power driver seat.

The '07s are more expensive (MSRP) than the '05s. In '05 the trim lines were GL, GLS, GLS-SV and LX. The '07 trim lines are GLS, SE and Limited. The present GLS should be compared to the '05 GL. Although the '07 includes ABS, stability control, traction control, electronic brake distribution and side curtain air bags. The '05 GLS offered ABS as an option. It has side front seat air bags, but not side curtain air bags, which protect the head in a T-Bone accident.

Why the number of '05s on the lot? Could be people traded them for the '06 or '07 to get the newer body style, larger, more powerful engine and added safety features. Or, they may have been rental cars. The newer body style has larger interior and trunk space. In fact, the new Elantra, while available only as a 4 cyl engine, is about the same interior and trunk space as the '05 Sonata. You should be able to get a new Elantra Limited with auto/trans for under $17,000. Check them also at www.hyundaiusa.com

My '05 Sonata has been a fantastic car. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I am a part-time dealer, hobbyist. I buy all kinds of cars for people at auctions. Frankly, I don't see a down side to the Sonata. For the value, bang for the buck, I don't think you can beat it. Sure, Toyotas are a little better, quieter, smoother, but cost a lot more, and I'm not sure they last a lot longer if at all. The warranty from Hyundai can't be beat. I believe the Hyundais are now a little better than most of the domestic models on the whole. If you want a "good" car for the money, I think Hyundai is where it's at.
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    I bought 2001 Sonata 18months back to commute to office. I never took it to long drive. I rented out cars for my previous long drives. This time, i would like to use my car. It has around 65k Miles. Scared to take sonata for long drives. Any of your faced any issues with sonata on long drive? Looking for advice.
    As long as the service is all up to date, you should be fine. Drive with confidence!
    Hi Nvbanker,
    Thanks for your reply. Recently took it to hyndai service station. Did some battery checking. He said everything is ok. He suggested me to replace timing belt and valve clean up. Is it ok to do this after some time. Currently it has 67K. I am planning to drive this for 6 more months and go for upgrade. Is it ok to go for long drive without doing timing belt change and valve clean up. Please advice me.
    Hi Nvbanker,
    Is it necessary to change timing belt during 60k serice. Is it ok to do this in next 90k service.
    90,000 is usually the belt upgrade in most cars. Check your manual - but if it doesn't say to do it at 60,000, then you will be fine. The valve clean up is a scam - you don't need that. IF the car is running well, just drive it. You'll be fine.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    rustum,

The owner's manual for the 2000 Sonata says to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Since you already have over 67,000 miles on your car, I would recommend getting it changed ASAP. If the belt should break, the likely result would be major engine damage due to the engine being an interference engine.
    Hi rhduke,
    Is it mandatory to change the belt. I would like to use this car for next 6 months and upgrade?
    Is it mandatory to change the belt. I would like to use this car for next 6 months and upgrade?

rhduke is absolutely right! If that's a 60,000 mile belt, it's at risk to break any day now, and when that happens, you'll break every valve in that engine, and need a complete upper teardown of the engine and rebuild to fix it. Want to risk that, then don't change it and cross your fingers- you may make it. But if you don't, you're gonna regret it. I would either dump the car right now, or change the belt, if it were me.
    Hi,
    Spoke to serviceman at freeman hyunda, irving, texas. They are going to charge 400$ for changing timing belt. Would like it to get it done as not in hurry to get the new car. Want to keep this for some more time before buying new or better car. Thanks for your inputs.
    FWIW, I think you're doing the right thing...
    Nvbanker and Rhaduke,
    Thanks for your information. Today got timing belt replace. They did replace some other belt also for around 450$. Car looks ok now. I should able to use it for some more time.
    Today, i happen to go to Honda dealer. They are offering Accord at very good price. But, they are ready to give only 3K to my Sonata. Sorry to post about Accord in Sonata forum.
    That's ok. But why are you shopping it now, when you just got your timing belt?
    Hi Nvbanker,
    I heard about accord deals after replacing timing belt. Anyway, now sonata looks ok. Currently it has 67k miles. What is the typical life of sonata. Does it run for 100k without any issues? Would like to move to new car once i am sure of staying longer here.
    All I can tell ya, is that I've bought & sold tons of them, and never had a bad one yet. They're not the Hyundais of the 90's anymore, they're great solid cars. Japan should be very frightened. They still have an edge - but it's going away fast, and I don't think GM or Ford have any edge over Hyundai anymore. I expect your Sonata to run 100,000 miles with minimal problems. Please let me know if I'm wrong - but I've never had a customer come back to me cussing their Hyundai.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    Stopped at local dealer today to look at recent trade ins and he had at least a half dozen elantra's and sonata's with 150000+ on them in his lot.Must mean something.
    Hi Nvbanker,
    Some times, i am not able to start the car. After turning the key, it just chuckles. I am able to start after couple of attempts. I am not able to replicate this. I can see batter indicator on.
    I even did run it though service man when i went to change my timing belt. They said, they have cleaned some wire which is connected to batter. Everything is ok. In their report, they said battery is very good.
    Do you think, i need to turn the key fast for engine to start. Do you have any idea.
    Any idea.
    Any help on this?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try posting here: "No Start" Problems. It's not specific to Sonatas, but neither are starting problems!

Meanwhile maybe someone here will have an idea for you.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
    Hi Pat,
    Thanks for you reply. I have posted it in that respective thread.
    It's your battery. Just change it out. It's not that expensive. Less than $100 easy....
    Hi Nvbanker,
    Thanks for your reply. I took the car to walmart battery section. He told me that battery and alternator are good. It might be starter. It is working fine for last 3-4 days. But once is a while i am not able to start at first go.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Hey all -

Have not been posting (or reading) much, as per Astrol some pages back.

I bought TWO new Hyundai Sonatas in 2000 - both with package 13. I just noticed this post, (below) and had to comment:

#2720 of 2930 Re: '00 GLS problem solved [astrol] by roadpilot3 Dec 09, 2004 (8:57 am)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: astrol (Dec 08, 2004 10:34 pm)

I had to replace the crank sensor also on 2000 gls Sonata at 60000 miles. A co worker with the same car also needed to have his replaced. Seems it happens quite often.

I did the same on one vehicle - as that problem existed from day of delivery. And that same problem was never fully corrected.

The other car had paint start to peel.

While Hyundai is great for inexpensive transportation, my experience with Hyundai is that the long-term quality is simply NOT there: Hyundai is still a "disposable car."

Or, symbolically, this: :lemon:

Not, of course, for the first five years when the warranty covers everything except the radio, tires, and wipers.

After pumping way-too-much money in keeping the Hyundais maintained, I purchased a 2007 Accord I-4 and a 2007 CRV I-4 FWD last month.

More expensive than Hyundai, but the difference in build quality is quite evident.

Which means, after 7 years, I say good-bye to this forum and go to Honda.

Shame - I really loved my Sonatas at first. But that relationship soured with the endless, expensive repairs despite doing routine care religiously.

Good luck to you all!
    My Sonata is the GLS Special Value trim. It has all the features of the LX (now Limited) with the exception of Leather seats and power driver seat. (The alloy wheels are also a different style from either the LX or GLS.)

The MSRP late in the model year was the same, but there was about a $500 difference in dealer invoice. I've got to believe the Special Value, with all its extra features, has to be worth more as a used car than a standard GLS.

Heated seats, homelink/auto dimming rear view mirror and auto climate control must surely add something to the used cars' value. Edmunds list of used car values does not differentiate between a GLS and a GLS Special Value. Why?
    FWIW, this is a common phenomenon, though usually applied with American cars. Buyer has "old" Ford/Hyundai, whatever.....it was great for the first 5 years, then started to need repairs - trades for another entirely different brand, and brand new car, and shaaazzzaaam! The new car is so much better than the old worn out one! Build quality is so far superior in the 07 Honda than the 2000 Hyundai! Think so? Wonder why?

Yes, Honda is better than Hyundai, especially back in 2000. Not that much better now, but still better. But the 2007 damn-near-anything will be far superior to your 2000 Hyunda is today, after 7 years of use. Had you bought a 2007 Sonata, you would have found the same thing is true. 7 years of use, and time make a lot of difference, no matter what brand you are buying, or switching for.

Enjoy your Hondas - they'll make you happy for sure.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    people like that crack me up...7 years down the road he'll be saying goodbye to the Honda forum...I guess he hasn't figured out that anything mechanical can break down or wear out...yes, even "legendary" Honda's and even crapotas. :sick:
    Yeah, that makes me laugh (sarcastically). That line of thinking means that my '05 will suddenly turn into junk in a little over 4 years.

So far, not one problem. I've even followed "dealer service" rather than manufacturer's spec as an added assurance. Yeah, I've probably wasted between $100 & $150 since April 2005. I try not to waste money, but if that was wasted, it not much in 32 months, especially if it keeps up the wonderful experience.

Maybe I should get P'd off whenever the battery quits? Must be Hyundai's fault, right? :confuse:
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    Ya know, here's a simple test...drive by any dealer's service department and it will usually be full...and they are not all people getting regular scheduled maintenance. By the way, as stated in early posts of mine, I put 332,000 on my 03 with only routine maint. and what I would call normal wear and tear repairs (steering rack, wheel bearings) until the last day I had the car...tranny failed...but I was going to get a new one anyway. I now have 112,400 on my 07 limited, with no out of pocket repairs other then bulbs so far, even still has original brakes. Got the car on 11/14/06. A few small warranty items...all taken care of with no problem ;) :shades:
  • hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    My Sonata EF (01/02, 162000 km) exhibit a very loud knocking noise when going over small bumps/road imperfections - and specially at low speed at citydriving (if i get to 50-60 km/h) almost nothing is heard.
    Comes from both front and end.
    Seems that at specially comes when down/up movements ex. over a pothole.
    Have had it checked several times, and they could not find something unusual.
    The dealer have suggested to have the shocks replaced. Can that be a solution - what about sway-bars?
    Have suggested Monroe - are they better that OEM?

Also have a 3,3 NF, and it also had a little noise in the start, but now (52000km) nothing at all...
  • kellewiskellewis Member Posts: 1
    Last year (2007) I purchased a 2002 sonata.. it had 6k on ( orginal miles)... 3 months after owning it had to replace the O2 sensor, 3 months after that the altanator to the tune of 500.00.. now.. I once again find myself replacing the 02 sensor.. Is there a reason why these go bad? Because the car was still under Manufacture warranty when I purchased it.. I was not concerned.. but now 800.00 later.. and I have only owned the car for 12 months.. is the sensor something that continually goes in these cars.. I cannot afford to 250. every few months for a sensor.. in this car no matter how much Iove.. gee the thing isn't even broke in yet.. it only has 14k on.. so I am asking is this normal for these car? and what will happen if i run it without getting the 02 sensor fixed?
  • hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    Had my timing belt changed and 180000km serviced at the same time.
    - also changed 2 tensioners for the timing belt
    Brakes disassembled and greased,
    ventilatorbelt changed
    cabinfilter - 2 Pcs??? - as far as i know there is only one...
    Engine oil and filter changed.
    Sparks not changed, neither air-filter (uses k&n)
    9 hours in labour - it seems like they have added, hmm... some extra hours, as far as i can see.
    How long time should it take?
    Ordinary 180000 km service - max 2 hours
    Timing belt 7 hours?
    Any comments...
  • sonlxsonlx Member Posts: 21
    Hello Everyone, I just wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone has had this issue. I currently own a 2003 Sonata lx with beige interior, leather seats. The Car is awesome in every way but i was wondering if anyone has noticed that the vehicle interior gets extremely hot in the summer. I have owned several other different cars but none got as hot inside as this one. Please let me know.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    We own a 2004 Sonata LX that is pearl white exterior and black leather interior. It's my wife's daily driver for the last 4 years and she has never complained about it being too hot in the summer. She was a little concerned about that when we bought it, but now says any new car she gets will have a leather interior and be a dark color (her preference). :shades: