Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    If you can do without the navigation system, then just don't order one.
    Navigation system is a feature that many people want instead of dealing with paper maps, just like they may want a higher end JBL stereo upgrade when the standard radio can be lived with by most.
  • ccam206ccam206 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1996 Camry LE 4-cylinder w/ 49,000 miles. Love it but for one thing. It takes a bumpy road just fine, no noises to be heard. However, when it goes over more of a "dip" than a bump it makes a sound that I can best describe as "ch-ch". Happens all the time since the car hit 30,000 miles. Drives me crazy. I've had a few mechanics drive it & 2 of them said it is just a suspension compression noise. I've noticed it in other Camrys as they've driven by me. It does not bottom out as in question 20 but could this also be something with the springs? I planned on keeping the car a while but this may make me get rid of it. Any ideas? As I said, I've heard it in other Camrys so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    If you know the cost of the Nav option, please post it here. I am hoping that the cost of a Nav system will decrease as demand increases.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    There are two parts that may be the cause of the noise described by ccam206: The inner ball joints on the steering tie rods, and the front strut mounts. There are TSBs out for both.

These were recently replaced on my 2000 Camry. 90% of the noise is gone. The struts are also due to be replaced, but there is no TSB for these as far as I know.
  • mod7mod7 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know about the colors of the 2002 Camry? I am interested in light or medium Blue. Thanks.
  • mrl699mrl699 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a Camry-after reading the posts I think I'll wait till the 2002s. In terms of price, the dealer I went to to test drive is AutoNations-John Elway in Denver. They say they offer "no-haggle" pricing. Is this true? Do they bargain anyway? What's your experience?
  • upstateny1upstateny1 Member Posts: 1
    I saw a 2001 Camry today with a "carriage roof" (canvas). It looked very sharp. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these roofs, i.e. upkeep, fading, damage etc. Also, not sure whetehr to wait for the 2002?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    Why not buy a Lincoln or Cad...cruising the red light district...are you for real?
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    If you want to see a photo of the new Camry, stop by your local dealer and see if they have any info on the 2002 Sienna. There is a mini-brochure available with details on Sienna 2002 changes, but on the back is a photo of the 2002 Camry. Our dealership got them a few weeks ago, not sure if it was a mistake or what. But I would call it the first "official" 2002 Camry photo.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    PLEASE scan that picture and email it to me if possible. I will stop by the dealer sometime this week and see if they have a Siena brochure.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    the pic is REALLY tiny. the 2002 Camry looks exactly like what you'd extrapolate from all the sneak pics that have been posted on this site.... the pic on the back of the Sienna brouchure is an ugly beige color...I'd imagine this car would look better wearing a darker shade.
    did I mention that I'm really disappointed that it seems likely that the V6 engine will not get feature any performance upgrades?
    grr.
    ~alpha
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Toyota is staying with the tired V6 from 1992. 192 hp, etc. etc.

Everyone else has moved along in the V6 market, Toyota is stagnant!
    I wouldnt call the Camry V6 "tired"... that's just ignorant... Its a great engine, and I feel its potential is obvious since it achieves 220hp in the Lex RX/Highlander, I just am pissed that the Camry is getting shafted. Toyota is definitely NOT stagnant in the engine dept. I'm not claiming that they're as innovative as Honda, or anything, the 3.0V6 is a sweet piece, I just want something that competes with Nissan's 3.5 240hp Altima engine.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    the camry is a family sedan-- deal with it-- we don't need 300 horsepower in a family sedan...toyota isn't trying to compete with the impala in orders from police departments... if anything, toyota should do what honda does and make their V6 use regular unleaded for maximum performance.... you wanna drive a hot rod, buy one-- but the camry is a well made family sedan. they'll probably increase hp somewhere between 2002 and 2006-- maybe widen the taillights too.... am i nuts?
  • sidwolfsidwolf Member Posts: 6
    Unless my arithmatic is off, something is strange about those dimensions. Converted to inches they come out almost exactly to the dimentions of the 2001 Camry

4,806 mm = 189.3 inches long
    2,720 mm = 107.1 inch wheel base
    1,796 = 70.72 inches wide
    1,409 mm = 55.47 inches high (sounds off?)

I used 1 mm = 0.03937 inches

Also, reports that the Camry will be "bigger" should be read with caution. First, a lot of Camry fans do not want it bigger, just better layed out, better seats, and better handling. Second, if it gets too much bigger, it would be longer than the Avalon (192 inches long), Maxima (194 inches long) or Taurus (197).

All this makes me wonder about the accuracy of a lot of these advanced reports. I guess we will have to wait until September to know for sure.

Sid
  • edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    And if yes, why?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Maybe if the new Camry is lighter, the 192 would be sufficient. I agree the 3.0L is a great engine, but they really should have done something. I'm sure they could have increased mpg, ditched the premium fuel requirement, and/or bumped the HP. Something at least, the engine is basically unchanged since 94 and was only minimally changed then. I know you shouldn't change success, but back in '92, 190hp in a 3.0L V6 sedan was serious business. Now it's pretty common and there are many as powerful and smooth to pick from. C'mon toyota, kick it up a notch!!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Yes the Accord is ahead of Camry by around 18000 units YTD. Why? The Accord is a great car and a great value. Yes, I am a Toyota dealer but the Accord is a great car. The Camry was redesigned last in 97 and all cars need a fresh look from time to time to keep clients interested. I know in my heart the Camry is a better value then the Accord with regards to safety, fit and finish, etc. but the Accord is a car that if a buyer is looking for a sportier looking car then the Camry that is dependable and reliable the Accord will suit a lot of buyer's needs. That being said, the Camry will retain the # 1 sales spot this year after the 2002 is available. 18000 cars is not nearly the lead needed at this time of year. There are far more Toyota dealers then Honda and the redesign will easily be enough to push Camry over the top again for the 5th time.
    I am fully aware that the Camry is a family sedan. That's why its so appealing to me- buying a powerful, sporty car that is none the less sold by the masses and considered a family sedan (and not a sports coupe, a Mustang, or Bimmer) keeps insurance costs and cost of ownership way down. That said, I'm not looking for 300 hp, although that would kick [non-permissible content removed]. I'm just looking for a relaxed 85-90 mph from a V6 that's worth talking about. For the reasons I just mentioned, I don't want a hot rod- I want a sporty sedan that doesnt cost too much, looks good, can carry road trippers and their gear, and is easy to own and maintain. A V6 Camry has the potential to fit that bill, and is why I'm as interested as I am in the 2002.
  • pjcoreypjcorey Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 XLE radio/6 Changer CD has been stolen. I'm told that the unit costs $1800 to replace, the woodgrain face shield $80, the harness about $200 and the rewiring should take the whole thing up to $3,000/$3,500. At the Toyoto dealer about 25 miles outside of New York City I was also told that this is a hot item, that five such units were stolen in the last month out of Camrys parked at the local mall. Very disheartening. What is the aftermarket on this unit. If it is such a hot item to steal I have deep reservations about replacing it.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    After doing some research on the new Altima I have to say that the SE 240HP is a definite consideration.

With 4-5 passengers that 240 hp will come in handy. And with the size increase and great styling how can I not. Regardless of your age HP and style is always appealing.

The four cylinder with 180 HP is no dog either. I will have to drive both before a final decision, but my 2000 Maxima has been flawless so I think Nissan may get my money if the price is right?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm usually found over in the Impala forum (but I'm a former Celica owner), but my wife dreams of owning a Camry someday, so I came over to see what info there was on the 2002 redesign. Thanks to whoever posted the link to TTCC above for the sneak pics. Pretty radical departure from the current car; looks like the front end of the Camry may be as popular as the rear-end of the new Impala was when it first hit the street.

Wanted to pass along there's an article in the August issue of Readers Digest regarding auto safety. This article quotes a Money magazine article, which looked at a bunch of factors and determined which vehicles had the overall highest safety ratings. They were:
    Small Cars - VW New Beetle
    Mid-Size Cars - Toyota Avalon; Toyota Camry; VW Passat; Volvo S70
    Luxury Cars - BMW 5401; Lexus LS400
    Minivans - Ford Windstar; Honda Odyssey; Toyota Sienna
    SUVs - Toyota 4Runner
    Interesting to note that of the 11 vehicles, 4 are Toyotas (5 if you count the Lexus).

Assuming we were to buy one of the remaining 2001 Camrys, is there anything in particular we should know about things to avoid (or be sure to get) in terms of engines, options, etc? We'd probably be looking at a 4-cylinder LE, unless we happened upon a great deal on a V6. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    looks like the front end of the Camry may be as popular as the rear-end of the new Impala was when it first hit the street.

Wow, I never knew the Impala's rear-end was ever popular when it first hit the street. Anyhow, the current Camry is a pretty nice car and with the new incentives and rebates, the prices are as low as they can be. However, personally, I would rather go with the Accord LX 4-cylinder. The reasons are simple... those safety ratings look like they might be from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Accord did fairly well except for a poor rating on the risk of leg injury. But I found the IIHS ratings contradictory to the NHTSA ratings, which gave the Accord a slightly higher ratings than the Camry. So, I'd call these cars fairly even in terms of safety. Then there is the Accord's looks, which is still a bit bland, but looks much better than the Camry. Lastly, the 4-cylinder Camry is a bit underpowered... only 135hp i believe, compared to 150 in the Accord. However, all these reasons are subjective and if I was making the choice, I'd rather wait to see what the '02 year offers.
  • sunshine60105sunshine60105 Member Posts: 129
    I agree with you, it is a family sedan,but it's sporty to i must say... When I was looking for a car in 1994 I really didn't like the Camry till I drove it.. I love my 94 Camry cause it's also sporty.. If someone is looking for a hot rod ;then, I would advise them to look else where cause the car isn't a hot rod, it is a family sedan like you said ;furthermore, it's safe... :)
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    I am actually a Buick owner...am I a natural target customer for Toyota...don't know. I had, though, been waiting for the news on '02 Camry eagerly..especially after the Altima news. Sad to say..I am disappointed. The car seems to have been only tweaked not redesigned and the same power from V6 disappoints. Even sedan buyers need some fun once in a while..and I am happy to report that my LeSabre's ancient push-rod V6 can leave some hot rods in dust when I want.

I don't know these marketing types though..they just might be trying their best not to tinker too much with a winning formula...but a wise man said some time back - "you got to be running to stay in the same place."
    My 92 V6 is a great engine, now at 135,000 miles (SE model the best they every produced) but I also drive a Buick Regal 2000 model with the 240HP supercharged engine that gets 31 mpg on the highway (max my Camry gets is 27) so you can have the guts and the family sedan side as well. My previous comment is that Toyota is simply behind the times in engine design when more hp and better mileage is attainable but Toyota to date is not interested in changing the engine. My Se does handle much better on curves then the Buick even with 135,000 miles. But, that 240 hp sure is nice to have as well.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    I find it laughable the angst that is displayed here about one person's supposed official specifications of the 2002 Camry's engines. I'd like to quote from the article that someone posted (emphasis added by me):

"Details on the 2002 Camry, including official photographs, HAVE NOT been released by Toyota Canada, so the ACTUAL final offerings may be somewhat DIFFERENT......It's worth pointing out that Toyota DID NOT CONTRIBUTE any of this information, so there might be VARIATIONS when their decisions are announced."

What's the problem here? Do people honestly think that Toyota would introduce an all new Camry without some upgrades to the engines? The 4 cylinder is the new engine from the Highlander. Don't be surprised if the V6 gets bumped up to 210-220 hp, the same output in the ES300 and Highlander, respectively.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Funny how nobody ever says Mercedes or BMW use tired engines. The V6 in the MB E320 gets only 221hp, and the six in the BMW 530i gets 225hp. What's the six in the 525i, something like 182hp?

Besides, I don't know if all these other V6s are ULEV rated. The Toyota engine is, and that was/is an important goal for Toyota engineers.

Toyota is not behind in engine design. I for one would not want a supercharged engine -- it is more complex than an engine needs to be. To compare any engine from GM to a Toyota engine makes me laugh.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    You're trusting a news account that was cut and pasted on an Internet Bulletin Board from a Canadian source for information on the V6? Has it occurred to any of you that Toyota has not brought out a new model in the past 2 years that didn't get VVT-i (variable valve timing with intelligence which brought the engine to 210 or 220 HP)? I just spoke to my district manager who promised me the new V6 will have VVT-i and will be over 200 HP. Perhaps waiting for something a bit more official would be in order before getting too worked up.

Now, on another but related topic, has anybody here ever heard a complaint about the power from the 192 HP engine? I sure haven't. That engine is absolutely a blast to drive in the Camry. Properly driven, it will push you back HARD into your seat. Unlike some other manufacturers, Toyota has not forgotten that it is torque, not horsepower that you feel when entering a freeway.
    I think the V6 is going to be OK at 192 or 200HP. It hasn't been a problem before, so just because the new Altima has 240 HP, (which is more than an ES300 or a base Acura TL) doesn't mean 200 HP is suddenly inadequate.
    It won't be the leader in horsepower, but it is enough for now.
    I would not be surprised if Toyota upgraded the HP in 2 or 3 years when they need to freshen and update the car, but it is not going to be a problem for now.
    very good point.. so true!
    too bad toyota didn't endow the Celica accordingly... that corporate V6 would shine in the Celica, if only there were enough space under the hood.
    ~alpha
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    When the car arrives at the dealerships I trust everyone will drive the new Camry and we all will be able to comment about the hp and torque. I am confident the car will be powerful enough to satisfy most buyers with the 4cyl engine and for those that want even more power the VVT-I V6 should satisfy the rest. If someone can drive a car and tell me they can tell the difference between 192 hp and 200 hp they are better then I am.
    Well, I guess comparing a Toyota engine to a GM is not fair, but then again, if you are one of the lucky toyota owners in the "Engine Sludge Column" on this board you probably wish you had a GM under the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Actually came from Camrypreview.ca I believe that website is apart of Toyota Canada, or whoever, but you have to have a password. The place I saw the link from in the first place was Camryman.org, I hope the new Camry has more than 200hp. The pics I recieved from someone here (sorry, forgot your name, but thanks for those pics), make the car look like a Avalon, which is okay, but I do like the new Camry. I still will consider it.
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    Hello,

I was taking my mom's 2000 Avalon in for a service today, and I spoke to a sales person regarding the 2002 Camrys. I spoke with him for a couple minutes, and then he showed me several pages of information that he had on the 2002 Camry. I don't know where this information came from, but what I saw on it looked credible. I'll summarize some things that I remember seeing.

1. I saw LE, XLE, and SE trim levels.
    2. I saw two engine choices, one being a 2.4 liter four cylinder (157 hp), and the other being a 3.0 liter V6 (192 hp). ***I asked him why Toyota was sticking with an engine that is very similar to the one in the current Camry, and he didn't know either. HE stated that the engine would not have VVT-i, but again, I'm just telling you what he showed me off his sheet, and although it looked official, I can't be 100% sure about it. I'm going to check back with him next week after he goes to a training seminar on the 2002 Camry. His only reason that he could give me as to why Toyota didn't put the 210 hp engine in the Camry was that they wanted to have an incentive for customers to go for the Avalon.
    3. I remember seeing MPG estimates for the V6 to be at 20/28, and 24/32 for the four cylinder, although I'm not sure if the latter was with the automatic or manual.
    4. The sheet stated that side curtain airbags would be included with the side impact airbag option. He said with this option, there would be six airbags.
    5. The sheet stated that the driver's side front airbag would be a "three stage" design, and I have no idea what this means.
    6. A navigation system will be an option on the XLEs and SEs.
    7. Curb weight seemed to be about the same, I specifically remember seeing a V6 model in the upper 3200 range, and an SE V6 in the 3300 range.
    8. He described the outside styling as looking like a Solara on the front, and an Avalon at the rear.
    9. The height of the car was 57.x something.
    10. Brake Assist and VSA will be available.

Again, I point out that although I don't know for sure if this information is accurate, it sure seemed to be. It looked like it had been xeroxed and it compared each of the 2002 Camry's features/specs. with the 2001 Taurus, 2001 Impalas, and Accords, I believe. I'm just telling you what I saw about the engine, and I'm shocked that Toyota didn't put the VVT-i 210 hp engine that's in my mom's Avalon and the ES 300, but I'm sure Toyota is not going to do ANYTHING to cause their buyers to go elsewhere. Please, if you're upset about the engine, don't send me a message back taking it out on me. I've noticed that some are a little upset about it. Thanks, and have a great day. Hope this helps. Take care.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    maybe it's dissappointing to us car geeks that the Camry is most likely going to retain its 192hp. But to the average folk who wants a family car, IT DOESN'T MATTER! If there IS an upgrade, I wouldn't expect it to be no more than the 200hp found in the Solara especially since the Solara was supposed to be a more "sporty" Camry and the gap between the Camry and the Avalon would be as wide as the width of a gnat's crotch hair (as my old teacher would say).
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    I dont think the average Camry buyer needs a lot of bhp...they just need reliable/refined/comfortable transportation...if they wanted to race theyd be looking at a Regal GS, Maxima SE and the such...am i right?
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I had a 98 Camry V-6 and my dad has a 00 Avalon with the VVTI. I really see no real world power differences. It is the drive that is important.
    I am disappointed that the new ES300 and Camry are not using a 5 speed automatic. It would provide extra performance while increasing mpg 2-3 mpg if geared properly such as the Acura 3.2TL is.
    INKY
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    Every time there is a move for a more powerful, safer and roomier car...there are doubters questioning the need to do this and that. The fact is that we don't know how well a faster, more balanced and roomier car will score against the current generation camcords. The argument that Camry buyers are sedate customers lulled into sleep with 192 HP is wrong (of course in my humble opinion).

More power, same or better efficiency, more controlled behaviour are welcome traits in any automobile be it a Camry or a Corvette.

About the details - they appeared in a reputed Canadian daily (not the Sun variety) and I have every reason to believe them despite the disclaimer (which might have been required to avoid law suits).
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    From what I know the 2002 ES 300 is going to have a five speed automatic. Not sure about the Camry though.
  • sinjin_dogsinjin_dog Member Posts: 84
    I have 2000 LE (4cy) and I could use more horsepower. However, like other average Camry buyers, I would rather see reliability, comfort with lower car prices. And may be better gas mileage.
    Even now, the base price of Camry is so high that I am not sure I would recommen it to my friends or family. I would consider lower priced brands next time.
    The 4clyinder engine is getting a hp boost of 21, to 157 and torque boost of 13lb ft. to 163. This information is pretty certain (based on other postings, as well as the Daily Auto Insider from Monday that said the 2002 Solara was gaining a more powerful 2.4L base engine).

Base price so high? Compared to what?
    The average cost of a new vehicle today is 24K.
    If your 2000 LE 4clyinder is equipped like many, with ABS, keyless, pwr driver seat... that same 2001 model stickers at 21,500 including freight.
    I just completed a 90 minute training session with our Toyota rep on the 2002 Camry. It is incredible !!! Yes, the V6 is a 192 hp, but with 209 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm and rated ULEV. I could go into a long discussion on why it is not VVT-i, but someone else can do that. The V6 has always been a small percentage of sales. Arrival on dealer lots is August 17th, instead of lots of speculation, just wait and drive it.
  • kam66kam66 Member Posts: 31
    Was your training session classroom only or did you have the opportunity to test drive the vehicle? From the information you received have they made any substantial changes in the suspension setup, or at least given the option of a sports suspension? My wife and I are in the market for a sedan (V6 with manual) and were disappointed in the 2001 Camry we test drove. Any further info you have would be greatly appreciated.
    I wish we could have driven it !! We won't actually have a "Ride & Drive" until early Set. (after cars have been in dealerships a couple weeks) Sorry to say but there will be no 5 speed V6 model available. The previous 5 spd V6 did so poorly that Japan decided to drop it. Hopefully now that we have the SE model (which a 5 speed would be perfect in) they will re-think that decision. The SE will have a sports-tuned suspension with shock tower brace and performance tires.
    Other than a firmer ride and added "sport appearance" trim, it does not seem to have much to offer.
    Maybe in a year or two, they will add an engine performance upgrade and 5 speed to go with it.
    Can you really make that judgement without driving the car, or even reading a press review? Hardly.
    ~alpha
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    My $.02 on the 192 HP V6 vs. the vvti version. I had a '98 Avalon with the "old style" 200 HP version and I now own a '01 Highlander with the 220 HP vvti. Although very different vehicles, from my perspective, the main differences are that the Avalon had a "dead spot" between 25 and 45 mph (basically very weak acceleration), where the vvti is strong throughout the rev range. I presume the variable valve timing does a better job optimizing efficiency at all engine speeds. I also find the vvti to be a bit smoother at idle. Beyond that, both are fine engines and I'd recommend either one.
    The previous posts said the SE does not have a manual transmission available and does not have any more power than a regular Camry.
    The judgement is based on the information that has been presented.