Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    >I wonder whether the plant award has anything to do with the non-union-ness--not to get too 'political' about it.

No, I know that it doesn't. I went to the JD Power site in search of their criteria, but they don't have an explanation. I've requested some from them so we'll see how 'quality' they are about replying. ;-)

>The closest I can find to long-term quality award is the Intellichoice cost of ownership. Is there another better yardstick?

I don't think there is any 100% foolproof yardstick, since there aren't any 100% foolproof cars. You pays your money and youse takes your chances (sic). I think JD Power is a major player because of the duration they've been in the game (since the '60s) and their in-depth surveys. They talk to a LOT of people to get their results.

Initial quality amounts to asking people about their recent new car purchase. I think that the first 6 months of ownership counts for a lot. I want to know how happy people are with their '01 car in '01, not in '05. For long term information I look at places like Consumer Reports to see the company's history. A company like Toyota consistantly produces a quality product, so I'm likely to purchase their cars, *if* I like what people are saying about the new model. And you have to ask a lot of people about that model in order to get any kind of feeling for the trend, not just people in a particular locale.

I believe your purchase is for an earlier model Camry. Consumer reports puts out a list of cars to avoid and to purchase. You should probably check into their magazine for more information. They have an annual issue with cost of ownership statistics.
  • hrdc69hrdc69 Member Posts: 4
    For any of you who are in the Northern Va area and want to see a 2002 SE Camry, its at Springfiled Toyota. I went there about 3pm, and it was sitting in the showroom. There must have been 30-40 people just gaping at it with open mouths. It was quite pretty being white all over. Apparently a rep had just driven it down from the
    Baltimore port. I took a few pictures with my camera, when I get the film developed I will scan and post them here. Thank goodness my camera has a 10x optical zoom, so I was able to take pictures from a distance.
  • hrdc69hrdc69 Member Posts: 4
    AS a follow up to my previous post, I see I mis-spelled the dealership name. It is "Springfield Toyota" close to 395 and the Beltway in Northern Va. My salesperson told me the car probably would only be there for today, so if anyone wants to go see it be sure to do it today. My salesperson (Kumar Singh) is really the best as he helped me get a great deal last month and says I can be one of the first to get the new 2002 Camry. He was kind enough to call and alert me the car was coming in today as he knew I wanted some pictures. I figured with all the Toyota reps there that I wouldn't be greeted to warmly with camera, so Kumar let me sit down and take some discreet pictures with my zoom. I wanted to get some inside pictures but it was impossible with all the people around. The gauges are really neat though as they are all silver.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    It was good to meet you today. It is rare that I meet a person from "the boards" here in the showroom. That really was a nice car wasn't it? I can't wait until we actually have them to sell.
  • mikidmikid Member Posts: 15
    ok cliffy1, and anyone else, who cares to reply, can you help me figure out, if the 2002 avalon is going to look much different than the 2001? and (i saw the sneak peak of the 2002 camry), does the camry or the solara have same room as the avalon? i just cannot get much of a post out of the avalon board, so, i need to know.
    have an SUV explorer and trading it in soon, on the toyota car, avalon vs camry vs solara. my husband is 6'4" i am 5'2", soo we need a car to handle us both. i will be the primary driver. next year we buy the tundra to take the place of (another problem ford) the Ford F150> i know , i know lol

miki
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    A lady from Camryman.org (Dianne W., I believe) wrote that the SE 4 cylinder model will have a 5 speed manual standard, that is great news, even if it isn't a V6. I really like the looks of the new Camry, but I like the Altima as well.

Mikid,
    From what I read on Cars.com the 2002 Toyota Avalon will remain about the same, but with a few minor changes, nothing major I believe.
  • fiery1fiery1 Member Posts: 31
    The Avalon is unchanged for looks and size in 2001 versus 2002.

Camry for 2002 is an all new car. There are good spy-shots here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3971&n=156,178&sid=178

with small details. The Camryman site is right in that there are SE models for 2002. They are a 4cyl 5-speed stick (vvt-i) and a 4 cyl automatic (vvt-i) and the V6 model is automatic only.

There are a wealth of packages available on all models. Great colors (pretty greens, dark blues, ocean blues, deep mahogany and a desert sandy color and even a pretty gray-pewter and a few others. FOUR interior color choices, and lots of combinations of extras including traction control, NAV system, etc.
  • edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    did they improve the seats yet?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am too, like edwardh5, very interested in the front driver's seat of the new Camry. I have heard so many complaints about the current seats in the Camry. I have not driven a current model so I cannot testify to the current model's seats. Cliffy, can you find out for us if the seats are different and have been updated? I understand you will be seeing at least one in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The seats in the new camry are slightly bigger and sit an inch higher than on the older one.

: )

Mackabee
    Available for the 2002 Camry, someone posted them about a month ago, but I never did print them.
    Thanks in advance
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    That for the first time in history the new '02 Camry actually looks much better than its '02 Lexus ES300 counterpart. I think the Toyota marketing people made a mistake and they switched the "Camry" over to the 'ES300" and viceversa.

The '02 Camry looks really sharp. I did not like the ES300 as it looks like it was styled by some ex-Infiniti designer.

Watch out for the '02 Nissan Altima however..
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Post 987 is the Packages.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    We recieved an email releasing Camry pricing but there wasn't an attachment. Did you receive anything today? I am assuming it was some type error because I don't expect pricing this soon but wanted to check it out. I would appreciate any dealer to respond ASAP because I am going to watch the Braves play for the next three days and will be leaving the office in about 30 minutes. Thanks in advance
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    From post 987:

"HERE YOU GO!! Package #1 (GHAT) models 2531,2532,2545,2546 keyless entry w/ab hazard buzzer, driver power seat. Package #4 (GKAT) model 2548 keyless entry w/ab hazard buzzer, driver power seat and leather package, AM/FM cassette/CD with 6 JBL speakers, 6 disc in dash changer, sunshade, cargo net, sunroof. Package #7 (GUAT) models 2534,2544,2548 vehicle skid control, 4 wheel ABS with brake assist, driver and passenger side curtain airbag. Package #8 (GVAT) models 2540,2544 D&P power seat and leather package, AM/FM/cassette/CD w/6 disc in dash changer, 16" alloys and tires with center cap, sunroof. Package #9 (GWAT) models 2540,2544 D&P power seat and leather package, EMV navigation system, 3-in-1 JBL audio w/ 6 speakers, 16" alloys with cap, sunroof. Package #12 (GIAT) models 2531,2532,2534,2545,2546,2548 Keyless entry w/ab hazard buzzer, driver power seat, AM/FM/Cassette w/6 JBL speakers."

I noticed that one of the packages includes a "sunshade."
    Is that a sunshade for the rear window and is is it manual or electric?

Does the wireless remote keyless entry also operate the trunk and does the XLE and/or SE models include a factory alarm system or are all Toyota alarms installed by the dealer?

There are no good pictures of the dash online. The poor quality picture on the Japanese Mag-X site seemed to indicate that the instrument panel is rounded like the dash of a Solara.
    How similar is the dashboard to a Solara?
    The seats a slightly bigger, but that isn't the great news. The great news is that they added an extra adjustment. You now have a height adjustment PLUS an adjustment for the front of the seat cushion.

Another interesting thing I noted was the "cab forward" design. The engine compartment is distinctly smaller but the trunk and back seat are bigger.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I thought the seats on our '87-88-90 Camrys [DXs, not even LEs] were absolutely superb - the best of anything outside our Mercedes E that shared the same garage. They included a generous seat bottom, good shaping, and with dual height adjusters for both the front and back of the seat bottom. Then the '92 redesign came along, and we lost at least an inch of fore-aft length on the seat bottom [I have suffered from lack of thigh support in our '93, and the current generation is no better], and gradually lost full height adjustment as well, unless you bought the power seat. So any progress backwards in this matter would be appreciated...
    They have over an inch more travel back and up than before.
    The following are base prices for the 2002 Camry
    LE 5M $18,970
    LE 4ECT $19,800
    LE 4ECTV6 $22,260
    XLE 4ECT $22,295
    XLE 4ECTiv6 $25,405
    SE 5M $20,310
    SE 4ECTi $21,140
    SE 4ECTiV6 $23,700
    these are the base prices and do not include destination charge or additional options. I will list the option package prices later.

: )\

Mackabee
    Toyota plans to announce pricing to the public for the 2002 Camry on Tuesday, August 14 2001. The official numbers for the 2 engines are:
    2.4l 4cyl 157hp 162lb-ft torque, 3.0l v6 192hp 209lb-ft torque. Both are 50 state emission certified and meet ULEV emission status.

Mackabee
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I know everyone has heard or thought this before, but its just a shame that with the 97-01 models, Toyota offered the manual tranny and the V6, but not a sporting model. And now that the SE is back, we don't get the 5 speed and V6.
    Boo hisss.
    The pricing looks REALLY attractive though.
    Can't wait to see this car in person.
    ~alpha
    Remember that the prices do not include any options and does not even include the destination charges.
    It is early to say the prices look really attractive when you don't know what it will cost with the options you want.
    An XLE V6 will be about $26K with destination charge and will be thousands more with options.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    But I still feel the pricing will be attractive, even including about $500 or whatever the destination is. I base this on the fact that I doubt Toyota will seriously decontent standard LE and XLE equipment from what the 2001 model included in its base price, especially since all reports seem to indicate that Toyota is trying to UNDO some of the DEcontenting that took place with the 97-01 models. Also based on the assumptions that options like Moonroof, Alloys, etc aren't going to go up hundreds of dollars, (it would be ludicrous for Toyota to do this) I feel I can safely say the pricing looks VERY attractive. Be my guest to disagree, but I feel that on August 14th my suspicions will be validated, and the Camry will be competitvely priced for the most mainstream models, at the very least.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm really glad to know that Toyota won't be decontenting the new Camry like they did for the current model. Ok, I'm not an expert in how Toyota builds their cars, but something doesn't add up: Toyota originally decontented their cars to keep their car prices competitive with other manufacturers. Now they've put the content back into the Camry, yet offer a very similar price. I just have to ask myself at this point, where else did they cut in the car to keep their price low? Cheaper parts, or is Toyota not making as much profit per car?
    The most compared car to the Camry, the Honda Accord, has a lot more more standard equipment for less money.
    The EXV6 comes with leather, 6 disc CD, moonroof, alloy wheels, dual power seats etc. for a MSRP for about $25K before any discounting.
    The 2002 Camry XLE V6 will start at about $26K without that.
    By the time you match features, then add features not available on the Accord, like navigation, VSC etc. it is probably going to be arond $29K or more.
    For about $30K you can get a 225 HP 2002 Acura TL with navigation after discounting.
    The Passat GLX is the ony competing car that might top the price of the 2002 Camry.
    What is sad, is that even after they deconted the Camry with the cheaper-looking interior for 1997, it still was pretty expensive and Toyota started offering rebates the last several years.
    I'm glad that the new 2002 Camry is expected to have a nicer interior this time.
    I just priced out the 2002 Camry XLE we are getting wednesday. Base price $25,405
    GV package #8 $2,320
    GU package #7 $1,150
    HD heated seats $315
    GV has d/p power seats & leather, AM/FM cass/CD w/6 JBL speakers, 6 disc in dash changer, p215/60r/16 all season tires with aluminum wheels and Sunroof.
    GU has VSC with brake assist and D/P side/curtain airbags for a total of $29,190 plus destination which I assume will be $480. It is not specified in my price guide what destination charge will be. So we are looking at $29,679.00 for the baby Lexus. Some of the standard equipment on the XLE is Multi-function keyless entry, anti-theft system with engine immobilizer and alarm, Multi information display with trip computer and steering wheel mounted controls. Electrochromic mirror with compass, chrome interior door handles, Homelink, rear sunshade, cargo net, micron air filtration system. These are changes from the 2001.

Mackabee
  • buckleup1buckleup1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new Camry with 9000 miles on it . It has developed a sluggish starting condition (weather is normal). It feels like only 3 of the four cylinders are firing on ignition. After that it runs normal. After several times the check engine light will come on . After taking it to the dealership , they could not find anything as the code was a miscellanous one. Does anyone know if there is a know fix for this. This is a japan built Camry.Thanks for any help
  • minilinkminilink Member Posts: 13
    when is it out? Nobody in Toyota dealership knows about it...or are they not telling !?!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Year ended March 2001 their net profit was over 8 "BILLION" dollars!!!!
    minilink, the new Camry will be in dealerships on August 14th.

Mackabee
    I looked at the new Camrys pricing, then I looked up the prices for the 2001 model. The 2002 actually costs less than the 2001, but I noticed that the XLE now loses it's power front seats as standard equipment. The Camry is nice, but I just can't see paying almost 30 grand for a 2002 Camry when I can get a Passat GLX or Acura TL for about the same price. Is there any chance that memory seat will be optional. Will the SE model loaded cost as much as a XLE loaded? What are the packages for the SE? Please let me know.

Also, Mackabee, do you know if all Camrys that will be out August the 14 will be XLE models, will any be SE models, that is the only model I probably could afford.

I hope that my dealer has a 2002 Tuesday, I will be up in that area of town, I will swing by there to see, but usually in South Carolina, we don't see anything new until late August at the Toyota dealership in my area. I might just drive on up to Greenville just to see.

BTW, Mackabee, you are the greatest
  • mjoo600mjoo600 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing 1991 Camry, and was hoping some of the Camry owners here might be able to give me some insight (I would love to be able to afford a 2002 Camry, but regrettably it is out of my league). I searched edmunds.com under Used cars as well as on yahoo, and didn't really find the info that I was looking for, namely any known issues/recalls for the 1991 model year, reliability ratings, and any other info I should be aware of as a 'caveat emptor'-practicing consumer. If anyone could point me to some links/sites, or give some info from an owner' perspective, that would really be great.

Thanks,

Mike
  • powerman1powerman1 Member Posts: 10
    Yes the 2002 MSRP of an LE is $615 less than a 2001 but the 2001 had a no cost value pack that incuded CD player, keyless entry, power drive seat, and floor mats. To me the new looks alone sell the car and I can pick out the options I really want. I wonder if skid control and ABS will be available on the LE. Does anyone know the answer ? How about new colors ? Thanks.
    Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing 1991 Camry, and was hoping some of the Camry owners here might be able to give me some insight (I would love to be able to afford a 2002 Camry, but regrettably it is out of my league). I searched edmunds.com under Used cars as well as on yahoo, and didn't really find the info that I was looking for, namely any known issues/recalls for the 1991 model year, reliability ratings, and any other info I should be aware of as a 'caveat emptor'-practicing consumer. If anyone could point me to some links/sites, or give some info from an owner' perspective, that would really be great.

Thanks,

Mike
    For the last three posters, this will hopefully answer most of your questions. And thanks a Million maxamillion1 for the compliment!
    The first Camrys to arrive at the stores will be the XLE's. There are some stores that will get the SE, although I couldn't tell you which ones. As far as paying almost 30k for a loaded XLE, once you see this car you might have to think twice about the Passat and the TL. The memory seats are not an option on the Camry. They loaded this car with so many features and options that it will cannabalize many sales from our own Avalon. The LE now comes standard with the cd/6speakers. An option package GI upgrades to keyless entry, D/power seat and the JBL speakers.
    Let me post this and I'll come back with the colors, before the software cuts me off.

Mackabee
    Super white 0040
    Gray met. 01E3
    Lunar mist 01C8
    Black 0202
    Black walnut
    pearl 03P5
    Dark red
    mica 03Q3
    Desert sand
    mica 04Q2
    Dark green
    mica 06S7
    Stratosphere
    mica 08Q0
    Blue metallic
    08Q2

Mackabee

Enjoy!
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Mike
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Mike: Check out carpoint.com, there is a section on used cars complete with known reliability issues.

1991 cars will have freon which is not freely available anymore, so check the AC particularly amongst all the usual things.

Good Luck.
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Mike
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    wow, I don't know how good this Camry will be but 30K for what was supposedly a family car is an awful lot! I would think the Nissan Maxima would be a better deal at this price, or maybe even the bigger and more plush Avalon. Then of course, there is the Acura TL. I hope that Toyota isn't falling in love with themselves too much and put out some discounts as soon as the initial hype settles. If you ask me, I'd be hard pressed to sign the dotted line for a $30K CAMRY!
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    hey-- you posted the same message 4 times--
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Tell them to do some more troubleshooting beyond pulling the codes. I swear dealer mechanics don't have a clue what to do if the computer doesn't tell them. I'd start by having the plugs changed. Then look for a leaky injector. You could also try a different brand/octane of fuel just for the heck of it. Sometimes the smallest things can cause problems.

Would help if they would keep it overnight or long enough to duplicate the problem. There is also a cold start injector and cold start timer switch (on the V6 anyway, don't know about the 4) that can cause low power and/or hesitating. None of these are big problem areas for the Camry so it's doubtful a dealer will magically know the cure. However, it's all stuff a mechanic should be able to figure out.
    Yeah, I just checked this thread, and I have no idea why that happened. Anyway, sorry.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Hi Mike! We bought a 1991 V-6 Camry (new) and have never had a problem. Air conditioning works perfectly.

Repairs: some guy ran a stop sign and hit it in the side in its first year. Wife hit something and we replaced a strut.

We have about 74K miles on it, and my wife refuses to give it up.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    My parents had a '91 and that thing was great. Racked up about 100,000 miles with no problems, and they got a great price when they sold it a couple of years ago.
  • ken135ken135 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer here in Texas, Dallas/Fort Worth area called this morning and said that he had two 2002 Camry came in last Saturday (11 Aug), so I will go to check it out this evening.
  • tntsmomtntsmom Member Posts: 3
    Where can I get a brochure of the 02 Camry? Lake Charles dealers won't even acknowledge that there is a redesign for 02(or they want us to buy a 01 to get rid of them). I called 1800gotoyota but they said it would be september before they will receive them. Help!!!
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    On August 17th most Toyota dealers will have the new Camry for sale. Go there on Friday and see it in person.

Brochure's might be available then.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    How come Toyota isn't publicly showing it off before giving it to dealers? I would think when a company spends so much time and money on a redesign, they'd at least unveil their new car at an autoshow or similar. Is there a public unveiling date for the new Camry?
  • tntsmomtntsmom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I have a 95 Camry with 121,000 miles. Kept up with maintenance and oil changes. Never had a problem. Best car I've ever had. I have a 5 speed manual. So much fun to drive but I'm getting older and want automatic. Can't wait to get into the new 02 Camry.