Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    It sounds like you have found that the market in your area is just under $23K for the model you want. Don't get too terribly hung up over costs and such as they really have little impact on you. What does impact you is what market forces dictate the dealer sells the car for. Were I you, I would choose the dealer that offered the information in the most straight forward manner and which one you felt was more honest with you.
  • cedarparkcedarpark Member Posts: 26
    to an extent, you're right--I'm only bickering over 700 bucks...but to me every penny matters.

While I have your attention, as someone in the biz, do you have any idea what the "wood grain" dealer add on could be?

I thought all XLE's came with wood trim in them?
    The bulk of the difference in the invoice is probably the regional advertising fee anyway. Edmunds does warn you that this fee exists but they don't tell you exactly how much it is because each region is different. It is a real expense that is added to the invoice to pay for regional advertising by Toyota corporate. It has nothing to do with the dealer's ad budget.

I hope that helps. Again, market forces play a larger role than anything.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I'm glad to see that someone else can relate to my experiences being torn between Big 3 loyalty and the getting the best car for yourself, even if it's an import.

I have friends who would not be able to park in their parents' driveway with a "foreign" car. My dad never says a word, when I visit him, I park my Toyota right in the driveway without a second thought. I'm sure he'd like it better if it were a Ford, but it's nothing to fight over. Freedom of choice is one of the things that makes America great.

I think that the Camry is a fine automobile that often gets unfairly criticized for subjective issues like styling or because it doesn't behave like a race car (which it is not designed to be). I think that critics forget that it is not a sports car, nor is it trying to be one. It's family car, not a Corvette. And as a midsize passenger car, it does just fine.

I agree that for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a better built car in this class. The Accord is still its main competitor and it will be interesting to see what the new '03 design brings to the table. I think that people buy Hondas and Accords specifically for some of the same reasons that people buy Toyotas and Camrys. But that's another subject .... ;-)
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I was a Ford fan. I actually drove a Mercury Topaz for 6 years and just under 100K with no problems. I still remember paying $9500 in 1989 for a new one. In 1996 I was looking for something new and the Mystique was out. If you ever get the chance to drive a 95-97 V6 Mystique DO IT! The platics were on par or better than my 2002 Camry as was fit and finish. The engine was refined, quiet and smooth. The interior was very comfortable and better appointed than my current Camry; lighted switches, curb lighting, bla bla bla. This was the car that was to put Ford at the top of the heep. One thing was very wrong though. The car listed for almost as much as a Taurus...$17K was a big jump from the $9500 Topaz. (I ended up buying a program car with 6k) I really did love the car...when it was running. Quite simply, Ford failed to provide a mechanically refined vehicle. When running I'd put it against anything on the road. Personally I still think it was a nible attempt by Ford to better itself. Sadly Ford scared too many people away with too high an initial price. With a lack of demand the car never really got the chance to become refined. When I saw the same thing happen with the Focus (great reviews, poor reliability) and Ford started in with the $3K rebates on Taurus's I started thinking; how does the guy who bought the 2001 Taurus for $18K feel when the 2002 model is selling for $15K. What does that due to his resale value? How does that affect his insurance if he's in an accident. If I had faith in the car for the long term it might have been a great deal..past experience did not dictate that though. Thats sort of the problem with Ford, they want top dollar for their cars but have not earned the repect. (at least mine anyway). Had they priced the Mystique initially less perhaps they would have sold more and been able to refine and then raise the price. Instead, as with the Focus they slap a too high price on it and end up selling them dirt cheap. There is little repect in that especially if the car is mechanically challenged. I must say if I HAD to by a Ford I'd likely go with the Taurus only becaus they have not monkeyed around with in in some time. My Camry is not that much more luxurious, or appointed or larger than the Ford. The engine is certainly a generation ahead and I hope the reliabilty will be there. Still, I wish Ford only the best. I'll especially miss the service team where I serviced my car. Sadly I knew them too well!
    Here's my concerns:

1. I'll buy the thing at $700 over TMV and feel like "they salesguys won again" -->please don't take that in any offensive way as I don't mean it towards all salespeople. I've ran into some real nasties and was burned as a young man, and its left some mental scars. I was pleased with the internet sales manager giving me his best offer up front. That was so much better and nice than an hour of haggling just to get there. I've also noticed how kind you've been, and taking time out of your day and giving free advice to strangers is quite the honorable thing. So please understand I don't mean that as a slight towards you or your profession at all.

2. If I buy it, and then hear later (or read on this board) about someone in this area getting one for "under invoice" or "exactly at TMV" or something, will I be filled with regret again.

3. On the flip side, if I try and wait till October to see if the dealers get desperate, will all of the colors I actually like (the 2 blues and the green) be gone? The green is already real hard to find.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I know in the long run this isn't a big deal--I like the car quite a bit, and the reliability/mileage issue along with the comfort I got from the room (I'm six five) is the best I can probably find for $23 anyway. I too, have been burned way to often by Dodge/GM/Ford vehicles, and while not to get into that, I will not buy anything "domestic" again, ever.
    Nothing you just posted could possibly offend me. Not even close. What you are saying is just a good representation of what a lot of people go through.

I too am a consumer. I buy TVs, houses, shoes, boats, guns (just got a very nice high end double for sporting clays) and a number of other products. I have a few rules about buying. I look at who is doing the selling. If the seller is able to convince me that the value exceeds the price, I buy. If the seller is an idiot, I turn into a megga shopper and focus only on price. Also, I try to not get too wrapped up if there is a lower price after I buy. I chalk it up to altered market conditions. It happens. The value still exceeded my price so I remain happy. I may be odd like this but that is really how I look at things.

To me, it is extremely important that the deal is struck honestly. If the seller dances around the price issue, I assume he is hiding something. If the seller is up-front on price and does a good job of justifying the price, I am more prone to buy.

One final note here. The TMV service is pretty good, but it isn't perfect. When I was on the floor, I saw cases where TMV was actually higher than our typical deal. There were other cases where TMV was below invoice and even below invoice minus hold back. Don't ask me how or why but that was the case. Its a guide, not a rule.
  • dshenmdyndshenmdyn Member Posts: 34
    I am willing to consider the 2003 Accord vs 2003 Camry, but the sticky point is that there is NOT even an option to choose side curtain airbag for all 2003 Accord except EX-V6 (standard equipment).

It seems that Honda believes only "rich" people who can afford the most expensive deserve better protection. What a pitty.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I really hesitated to post here but I am compelled to defend Ford Taurus. I have had two. My first was a 1990 that I bought new, kept for ten years and sold to a private party when it had 98,000 miles on it. Over that time, I had very good performance. It never developed one squeek or rattle, engine and transmission performed perfectly. I was only "stranded" once when a starter died. The car was not perfect, I did have to fix AC and replace radiator at about 75K miles and a couple of tie rod ends and CV boots but that was all besides routine service-oil changes, one set of brakes and tires, a couple of batteries.

I now have a 2000 Taurus SES that I bought new at end of 2000 model year- I have had it two full years and at 18K miles, it has been perfect. Solid as a rock, no squeeks, no rattles, with solid tight handling for a family size car. It has only been back to the dealer for one minor windshield wiper recall. This Taurus has the optional 200Hp DOHC V-6 (I opted to get a spike in performance on this one). Car is well equipped but not loaded-included antilock brakes, 16 inch aluminum wheels, power remote locks, power windows, cruise, etc. What did I pay? $18K+TTL and with 0.9% 36 month financing available at that time.

I am not slamming Camry here. I am sure they are a very good reliable vehicle. But you are paying a premium price for a comparably equipped car, and certainly not all Taurus owners have had reliability issues.

While depreciation may affect some people, it does not me as I keep my vehicles a long time. I also have $3-4K more money in my pocket, comparing my Taurus to a comparably equipped V-6 Camry.

Sorry to intrude and get this slightly off topic. Maybe someone needs to start a Camry vs Taurus board!
    I am willing to consider the 2003 Accord vs 2003 Camry, but the sticky point is that there is NOT even an option to choose side curtain airbag for all 2003 Accord except EX-V6 (standard equipment).

It seems that Honda believes only "rich" people who can afford the most expensive deserve better protection. What a pitty.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Here is how Toyota will respond to the 03 Accord next year with the 04 Camry ( based on some reports )

1) new 3.3 V6 bet. 225 & 240HP, 4 stays the same
    2) more audio options including MP3 player
    3) more standard features in both LE & XLE
    4) slight change to front & rear , perhaps like the Camry sold in some Asian countries, take a look at Toyota's Thailand website http://www.toyota.co.th/thai/showroom/camry/360_ext.asp exterior
    http://www.toyota.co.th/thai/showroom/camry/360_int.asp interior

it looks like these designs are "tested" in those countries before coming here

5) HID lights optional on XLE
    6) LED instruments ( opitron lighting like on most Lexus vehicles ) on the XLE

the new engine is confirmed, everything else is questionable but a strong possibility.

I'm reading too many paint chip stories to feel comfortable about this car now.

I drive anywhere from 45-60 miles each day, all city driving. If the paint is going to look bad that quickly, I'll avoid a new model.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I would think Toyota would save such drastic changes for 2005, but I guess not if the Accord eats into its sales.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Do these reports of changes to the '04 Camry (aside from the engine) come from a reputable source or are they just speculation and somebody's wish list?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    3.3 V6 engine - confirmed for 04 Camry

More Audio options including MP3 & satellite radio - strong possibility based on the fact that the new Accord offers these options now ( speculation from industry source )

minor changes to front/rear - based on Camrys available in Asia , normal response from Toyota to keep the Camry "fresh" / LED lighting also available now on Asian Camrys

HID lights - pure speculation but Nissan already offers them on the Altima 3.5 ( for 1 year )

Right now this "list" is partly a wish list created by industry sources & other people so Toyota may decide that there is no need to respond to the Accord ( with the exception of the new engine ), very unlikely as it may be

God Bless the Victims & their families on this day of great sorrow & reflection from this native New Yorker who witnessed that horrible day in person.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Yes, September 11 was a horrible day for all of us who watched it on TV. It is something we will never forget. I can only imagine how horrible it must have been for you and others who were there. My sincere sympathy goes out to all the families and friends that lost loved ones. I pray that God will never let something this horrible ever happen again.
  • rahoeferrahoefer Member Posts: 1
    my2002 camry xle has a noise vibration in the passanger door area,has anyone have this problem and what is making that noise?
    See Camry PROBLEMS section post number 989....I have the same problem and think I identified the problem...not sure what can be done.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    it's a pitty how the camry does in crash test results.
    I am wondering how reliable/reproducible all the crash test results are.

Anyone know if they have done tests to demonstrate that they can get the same result after crashing two identical vehciles?

My concern is that since Camry and ES300 have very similar structure, is it possible that the poor result for Camry side impact is just one time deviation? Could it be a much better result if they crash test another one?

Anyone in the science field knows that every experiement has its limitation and experiment results have a normal distribution profile, which means there will be outliers.

Anyone can comment on this?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The Camry that NHTSA tested was not equipped with side airbags, while the ES300 had them. That alone can make some difference in the test. Though it is surprising that the difference is that much.

Crash test results usually are reproducible, from what I understand. At worse you might see a one-star difference but that's debatable. E.g. the European offset frontal crash test results usually are quite similar in overall scores to the IIHS offset frontal crash test. I haven't sat down and compared the European (www.euroncap.com) side impact tests with the NHTSA's (and they have not tested a new-generation Camry yet, either).

Eventually NHTSA will test a Camry with a side airbag, but we don't know when.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I wish people would understand more about where cars are actually made before calling them 'foreign' cars. The Camry is built in the USA by US workers. It is sold by US Salespeople, serviced by US mechanics. Many of its parts come from US Manufacturers. A very small percentage of the price of a Camry ends up in Japan. Toyota employs thousands of Americans at it's factories,distribution centers,dealers, and US Corporate Headquarters. IMO, my Camry is an American car.
    Honda, like other Mfg's could care less about the safety of its buyer's, otherwise they would make side air bags standard across the line. It is absurd that a safety item is optional. Until they are forced to add these by the government or more people complain, they will not change. It is only from a sales viewpoint they decide not to add them as standard equipment. If they could remove front airbags, headrests, and crumple zones to lower the sticker price they would.
    I missed soemthing...My 2002 Camry did not come standard with side air-bags nor did it come standard with anti-lock brakes...both saftey features. Are you saying the Honda does not even offer the side airbags?

As for the American Camry...everything you say is true but an overlooked important fact is that it likely was DESIGNED over seas....where quality of components obviously demands a higher priority than American designs. Was it not Iococa once said something like 'Americans could care less if the door handle falls off...they want cheap cars'. I have no doubt we can construct anything here. We can design just as well as anywhere else too. Quite simply the American designs (IMO) are designed with a lower cost up front and higher maint. costs in the end. My guess is you likely spend the same amount on a 2002 Camry as you would a 2002 Taurus after 5 years. It's just that you pay more up front for your Camry and have less trips to the dealer for service. May be I'm wrong....
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...as standard on all the EX cars for '03, and optional on LXs.

Head [side curtain] bags are only available on the EX V6, but I would look for that to change in subsequent model years. There is the perception on the part of the corporate marketing types [just ask anyone at GM] that the American public is loath to pay extra for safety items on cars under $25k. You may disagree, and I do, but that perception is what drives these kinds of product decisions.

I see no significant difference in the dedication of Honda and Toyota to safety issues. All '03 Accords are now ABS equipped, for example, while side curtain bags are more available on the Camry...tomato, tomahto...
    One can at least chooce Camry with BOTH side AND curtain airbags.

Except EX-V6, one do NOT even get the choice to pick a curtain airbag. (Yes, side bag is stanard, I believe).

On Camry, side and curtain airbag together cost only about $430, that is about the same price as alloy wheels. IMHO, that will be mony well spend.
    I do find it ironic that on many cars an ash tray is standard,but not a side airbag. The comment on perception that most people hate to spend for safety items on cars under 25k has some validity,but most families desire these items and the Camry is a family car. I believe that a consumer who does not want an airbag would still purchase one with them especially if it is included in the sticker price; but the reverse may not be true thus costing the Mfg a sale. If the Camry base price were $250 more with the side bags they would probably sell just as many of them. Also, why would ABS be standard on many cars if people don't want to pay for them? I think a good example of a new safety item being added by the mfg without effecting the price was the inside trunk escape latch.
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    what is up with the two star front seat side impact rating? I am about to buy a camry, but this is causing me to rethink....
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I read earlier in the year that Toyota and Honda are dead set on producing a camry and Accord under $20,000 so they have to leave out some things. I understand their pricing philosophy but I don't know why they don't offer a package as Nissan does on the Altima on the Base car.Nissan charges $799.00
    what is up with the two star front seat side impact rating? I am about to buy a camry, but this is causing me to rethink....
    I am also considering Camry with the consideration for the 2 star side impact results.

I am guessing/hoping that is just an experiment deviation. Since ES300 which is structually similar to Camry received very good results.

I maybe wrong. But yes, I agree with you that it is concerning.

Not sure if Toyota will come out to comment on the issue. Sometime ago, on this board, someone posted a conversation with Toyota customer service regarding the side impact results. Maybe you can search for it.
  • dragonfiredragonfire Member Posts: 39
    Hey everyone,

I was also perturbed with the Camry 2 star rating, but the rating system is a little misleading. Since the rating systems provides on single rating for a range of TTI (thoracic trauma index) values, a car can be on the edge of a rating like the Camry. With an index of 92, this correlates to a side injury % of about 21%. If another vehicle were to garner a TTI of 89, it would have a 3 star rating instead of the Camry's 2 star rating. I'm not sure how the tests are performed and whether or not they average the results, but there can be some statistical deviation. Pretty confusing if you ask me. There is also another metric called the pelvis deceleration (measured in g's) that is recorded, but it does not seem to affect the ratings. For instance, the Altima recorded 114g's while the Camry recorded only 69g's. Does anyone know if there are details for the NCAP testing procedures?

Well, this was just some of the research I performed regarding this matter. I am also thinking of purchasing a Camry, but I am going to ensure that I get the optional side airbags. Hope this helps.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Don't know if it is the case for the Camry, but sometimes very small things can make a difference in the crash tests. For example the car could be structurally very sound and the general occupant area could be protected, but there could be a hard piece of trim that hits the dummys head in just the wrong way that greatly changes the score. A smaller, larger, lighter, or heavier dummy may have acted very differently during the crash. This is why the Lexus with the air bags may do so much better. I really doubt it is a structural problem, since air bags alone will not make up for missing structure. In fact cars with the strongest structures (and thus the least crumpling) often have the highest stresses on the occupants, and this is where the air bags help.

BMW was once criticized for making its cars too stiff in a crash, thus putting more stress on the occupants, but this is because they were designing for the offset crash which puts much more stress on a vehicle than the frontal crash, and requires a stiffer structrure.

All crash tests are usefull, consider all of them together as well as real world crash test results to see if the car is indeed safe. I would not feel unsafe driving the Camry with the side airbags as it would probably score the same as the Lexus.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "Honda, like other Mfg's could care less about the safety of its buyer's, otherwise they would make side air bags standard across the line. It is absurd that a safety item is optional."

For your info, Honda has an engineering safety facility where they not only extensively test the safety of their cars, but also the safety of pedestrians who might end up on the hood of one of their cars in an unfortunate accident. They go as far as focusing on how you would land on the hood of an Accord should one ever run into you. I think that shows how much they do care.
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Because the most important safety feature in an automobile is the DRIVER!
    -
    I hate to be the one to break the news to everyone, but you don't get hurt in an accident that doesn't happen.
    -
    I'm amazed at how many people say things like " I won't buy that car because of the 2 star crash test rating". That might give the impression that safety is important to people. Well where are they? I don't see any of them on the road. But I do see lots of people driving reclessly and dangerously. It's wose that ever.
    -
    It's like the desire for a 3rd row in a SUV. Everybody seems to want that now, but I've never seen anyone in a 3rd row and rarely ever see anyone in a 2nd row. Everybody wants 4 wheel drive but only 5 percent use it.
    -
    I think people want the car to be safer so they don't have to.
    -
    I ride a bicycle on the road over 10,000 miles a year ( that's much more than I drive my car ) with no airbags,ABS,crush zones,absolute no protection for my body (except a helmet with a "Third Eye Mirror" attached) and yet I feel very safe.
    -
    I feel safe because I ride smartly and safely, even though there are vehichles doing 80mph just 2 feet from my shoulder. I'm only the second person I've seen on a bike that has a mirror on the helmet. That mirror is the single most important safety feature when I'm riding because the helmet "MAY" protect (many people die who were wearing a helmet) me, but the mirror on my helmet will prevent accidents.(and it has for me many times).
    -
    If I don't have an accident, I can't get hurt.
    -
    I've been driving for 30 years now and not one of all these safety features would have made a difference in any accident I was involved in (not implying that they can't, but they haven't), but my relentless pursuit of safety on the road has saved my life many times.
    -
    Auto safety is more complicated that a 2star or 5star rating.
    Other camry crash test results:

IIHS offset: Pest pick

Japan (for a car called wisdom, which looks like a camry): 5 stars...

I do not know what to make of this...

(I am concerned, because 3 months ago I was hit broadside by a 4200 lb caddy...hit the pass. door in a SAAB 9-5).
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Toyota Windom is the Lexus ES300
    No matter how good a driver you are, there are situations which are totally out of your control,like those other reckless drivers. The correct statement should say that you can get hurt in an accident that was not supposed to happen. That is why they are called accidents.If someone runs a red light or crosses the yellow line you will be glad to have that safety eqipment. And how about if you have an emergency medical problem like a heart attack while driving and crash head on into a wall or another car? Riding a bike,how do you control the cars going 80 mph from hitting you? Do you have a magic bike? If you are the only one in control of your safety and you are a great rider,then why do you where a helmet? No, the crash tests are not the only criteria to use ,but they are a useful tool.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Crash tests can be very indicative of how a car might perform in a crash. I just hit a 99 Grand AM with my 2002 SI. I hit them on the passenger side fender and front door. I hit thim pretty much head on and then it spun them around the passenger side of my car so the most damage to my car was the passenger side of the engine and the passenger side fender of my car.

The Grand AM does poorly in crash tests and you could see that. The front wheel almost came completely off, the roof was buckling, and it shattered the glass out of the rear passenger window and the front window.

The 01+ Civics get 5 stars. The engine in my car was pushed back several inches to the point where it was touching the firewall, the passenger side fender was pushed back into the passenger side door, and alot of the electrical components in the engine were damaged but I walked out without a scratch and both doors still opened. They ended up taking the 2 occupants of the Grand Am to the hospital but I was able to walk out and go home.

So is a crash test result the only factor to consider when buying a car? No but it is an indicator of how a car will perform. I personally wouldn't want my family in a car that only gets 2 stars in side impact protection. I could only imagine what would've happened to the 8 year old in the Grand Am I hit if she were sitting in the front seat on the side where I hit them or if I had hit them closer to the back seat.
  • sableowner2sableowner2 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I was surfing through this board because my mother drives an '01 Camry (from my user name you should be able to guess what my preference is...) Anyway I was intrigued by vmaturo's comments on crash tests. Safety equipment and crash test results should be important criteria when purchasing a new or used car. Before I purchased my car I thoroughly checked the iihs and nhtsa websites for data. Unfortunately over the summer I had the opportunity to see the reliability of the data for myself. I was involved in an offset, frontal crash with an SUV. And I have to agree that accidents are called accidents for a reason--no one plans them. Even the best drivers make mistakes, and it is feasable that you could be in an accident where the other driver is 100% at fault. Thankfully my Sable held up just as iihs indicated it would and I was not injured. EMS workers and firefighters on the scene were amazed at how well my car absorbed the impact and that I was not injured. I think if I had been driving a different vehicle I would be telling a different story. Thats why I was very concerned when I saw that the '02 Camry received only 2 stars in the side impact crash test. I find this odd since the 2001 model received four stars. Now looking @ the graphs on the nhtsa website it is clear that the Camry is right on the line between 2 and 3 stars. However I just find it strange that Toyota would redesign a model that winds up being less crashworthy than its predecesor. I am sure that Toyota conducted its own side impact tests before releasing the vehicle. Also, the Camry nhtsa used in the test was already equipped with the side air bags (I think someone who posted on here was confused about that). Personally I think the Camry is a great car and if money weren't such a large factor in my decision I probably would have purchased one. However, I hope that Toyota adresses this important issue because consumers should not have to settle for less when it comes to safety. Well thats my $.02--happy posting.
  • car1car1 Member Posts: 3
    Would anyone like a chance to buy a 1999 Camry XLE V-6 with only 19K one owner miles? It was delivered with a transmission low on fluid, Bad shocks, and bad paint job. It hasn't withstood the test of time either accumalating many more problems. Toyota refuses to fix the problems. From my visits to Edmunds and the NHTSA site I am not alone. If anyone is interested, I would be pleased to elaborate further.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "Also, the Camry nhtsa used in the test was already equipped with the side air bags ..."

I do not believe that is true. Perhaps I am missing something?

NHTSA's notation has "w/SAB" with the model name when the vehicle is equipped with side airbags. If you look at the list of 2002 medium sized sedans tested, you will note that it just says:

"2002 Toyota Camry 4- DR."

Meanwhile, the Avalon tested says:

"2002 Toyota Avalon 4- DR. w/SAB"

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002MidS.html

If you go back to the 2001 list:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2001MidS.html

You will note that there are two Camry's listed:

"2001 Toyota Camry 4-DR."

"2001 Toyota Camry 4-DR. w/SAB"

And, finally, if you go to the NHTSA's glossary:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Info.html#iq2

"w/SAB - The vehicle tested was equipped with a side air bag."

Thus, I'm pretty sure that the 2002 Camry tested was NOT equipped with side air bags.

I would expect (speculate) that the result would be improved with a Camry with a side airbag, and would highly recommend them.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    My parents have a '95 Camry with just the tape deck. I'd like to get them a CD player and was wondering if I can just pop any Toyota double-din 3-in-1 (tape, cd, radio) in there or if only specific ones will work? I'm aware that there is CD player made to attach to their existing tape deck, but there is better availability (and cheaper prices) on more recent 3-in-1 units. Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.
  • ecvc03ecvc03 Member Posts: 5
    Which car do you think is the best, better, and good choice. Would camry owners buy another one? do camry owners like Japanese cars/ or American cars?
    Side airbags may or may not make a difference. A 2002 Civic 4 door gets the same results (4 stars) regardless according to your link. A coupe gets 5 stars so that goes to show you that the design of the car makes a bigger difference than the airbag choice. A Camry only getting 2 stars should be a BIG disappointment to Toyota. Maybe they'll add a thicker piece of metal in the side doors to get a better result in the crash test like they did with the rear bumper. Unfortunately, it had no affect on the overall safety of the car.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_midinexp.htm

"1 The pole test of the Toyota Camry was conducted off-center because of reinforcement in the middle of the rear bumper system that's effective in only a narrow range of impacts."

After just driving an 03 Accord I would have to say the Accord is the best choice, the Camry is a good choice, and the Taurus is a "only if it's the only choice" car.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Yeah but it's not like there is an equal amount of difference in greatness between the Accord and Camry and the Camry and the Taurus. There is lesser gap between the Accord and Camry.
    Here is an article I found on the web: (scroll down to the end of the page or search for "camry")

http://www.aiada.org/pubs/fup/2002/fu062602.htm

• billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Did you buy this car new or are you saying that you bought it from someone else? If you bought it new, why would you take a car with low transmission fluid, bad shocks, and a poor paint job? Even if you ordered the car from the factory, you would not be obligated to take such a vehicle. There is no way you could be compelled to take that type of vehicle. And even if you weren't the original owner, wouldn't the same apply to buying it used?

I'm sure some Camrys are DOA, but all the ones I rent and the 3 I own have been very good. Some minor problems, but nothing like you state above.

As to Toyota taking care of the problems, I really can't state an opinion since I've never had too many experiences. I do know that when we bought our 2000 Solara SLE V6 with no Alloy Spare, Toyota addressed the issue more than fairly with us. We are in the midst of buying a new '03 XLE and I certainly wouldn't do that if our '94, '97 and '00 Camrys weren't quite good.

Certainly no one should feel obligated to take a vehicle from any manufacturer with low trans fluid, bad shocks, and a poor paint job. Caveat emptor!
  • junkman2junkman2 Member Posts: 11
    Our 2001 Camry CE has the most fragile paint job (lunar mist) I have ever seen on a car. I am constantly touching up large stone chips on the hood. My other car (2002 Alero) is driven on the same roads and looks fine. I am pretty conscientious about keeping my cars washed and waxed, so neglect isn't the problem. I intend to raise the issue next time I take my car to the dealer for an oil change and see if their body shop will give me a discount on a professional repair of the damaged areas. The touch up paint that I bought and applied myself just doesn't look too good.