Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Whoa! You live in GA? Be very careful about the warranty they are offering. There is a 99% chance it is a "JM&A" plan which is not backed by Toyota. If you get it, look for the words "Toyota Financial Services" at the top of the application page. I'm not saying the JM&A plan isn't good, but if you move from the state, you could have issues getting stuff covered that you were promised.
  • astorey1astorey1 Member Posts: 41
    It is indeed a JM&A warranty. So that is not a toyota warranty? Can you explain to me what it is and why I would have problems if I moved out of GA(who knows if I ever will!). I was incorrect on my figures: it's 72 month, 80,000 miles W/ $0 ded - $1202.00. My husband and I thought that was high but this is our first new car purchase so we had no idea. I do plan on having the car at least three years - more like five years. So knowing that, would you recommend getting one? Thanks for being honest with me. If you recommend me getting one is there any company that you recommend me getting it through? Can you not get one directly through Toyota(not JM&A)?
    Let's see if I can get through this discussion without running a foul of Edmund's rules against solicitation for business...

JM&A stands for Jim Moran and Associates. Mr. Moran owns the distribution rights for Toyota in the Southeast Region. He controls the port, the accessories, the financing and the warranties. This is why you end up with some really odd and aftermarket items on your cars.

Within the SET region, there is no problem with getting claims handled. Outside of SET, there shouldn't be a problem unless there is a question as to what is and is not covered. With a Toyota warranty, there is never a question.

I can't get into pricing on a public discussion forum without getting myself deleted.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Do yourself a favor, get either the 7/75 or 7/100K Platinum warranty with $0 deductible and be done with it. I emailed Cliffy offline and got some good info on what to look for in warranties and the differnces. In fact he even quoted what fair prices would be. Finally, I was going to contact his dealership and purchase the warranty thru him over the phone when my dealership suddenly became more reasonable. He can not advertise but he is honest and up front and an asset to the board.
  • bravo13bravo13 Member Posts: 1
    Happy New Year All. Well, my car was in a wreck so I had to go ahead a buy a cheap lil car. I settled on a 1991 Toyota Camry Std Base edition. It has 111,000 miles on it and I paid 1250 for the car from a used car dealership. All I know is that it needs some rotors. Any suggestions about maintenance on the car because I'm a little scared about driving this car only because its used and I do not know whats going to happen.
  • kybillkybill Member Posts: 44
    My wife drives a 2000 Camry XLE, which she loves, but wishes she had heated seats. When it came time for me to replace my car in November, she MADE me(wives do that) consider an SUV rather than a second Camry. With kids in college, we need to haul "stuff".
    I had been researching vehicles since summer and really liked the Highlander. Although I think you can't beat a Camry, I bought the Highlander and am really pleased with it. The HL is all that I expected and it's nice to have a utility vehicle for flexibilty and bad weather. I would readily recommend that you give it strong consideration. Hope this helps.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I pointed out last month a discrepancy on the sticker where 6 disc stereos were supposed to be standard but were not on the car. Now I notice that the cute little carpet bag trick is showing a charge for the _____ grocery bag while the catalog and lots of web sites show it as standard equipment. What gives here?????
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Which camry are you talking about and what are you saying about a grocery bag?
    For some reason, and I don't think this was smart, Toyota deleted the 6 disc stereo from some XLE cars. They included a credit on the window sticker on those cars. I think it is ridiculous but that's what it is.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    The price is regulated by the insurance commision in some states. Here in Alabama, it can't be sold for more then $255.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    They seem to be trying to charge for it twice on the XLE. I appreciate the fact that they can change if choose to do so but still.....
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Thank you for your post. I was a bit surprised because no one else had responded to either part of it. I am glad to see that this board has been restored to its former friendliness. I got kinda worried for a moment. ;-)

Congrats on your new Highlander. As far as SUVs go, crossover or not, the HL is really nice. Maybe I like it because it is based on the Camry. Every winter I think about getting an SUV with AWD, it seems like it would be safer and more confidence inspiring in bad weather. Plus the utility would be nice as well.

Since we are in the Camry forum, I'll shift back to an on-topic post. Like your wife, there are a lot of things on my Camry that I like, but I do wish I had gotten some more luxury features. I plan to remedy that with my next vehicle.

Please keep me posted on how you like your HL. I read the HL forum also, so I can read your comments and respond there on the HL subject.

SilverCrown

** 2000 LE V6 with approx. 35,000 miles and still going strong **
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Cliffy, point well taken. My opinion is based on driving an average of 35,000 miles/year in New Jersey for the last 30 years without an incident of theft. I do visit NYC and PHILLY. Perhaps I have just been lucky,but it seems that many people spend $700 on what is basically an insurance policy against theft. Why then do we also pay for this through our auto insurance. Needless to say auto insurance in N.J. is very high. Now if you live in NYC or Newark then it may be worthwhile as the theft rates there are high. However,many people like myself live in the suburbs where the theft rates are very low and lojack does not prorate their prices based on where you live or work which they should. It would be interesting to find the actual percentage of vehicles stolen on cars equipped with lojack. Not every product works this way, lojack is kind of unique. I believe that the biggest winners of this product are the local police departments, the lojack company, and the insurance companies. Window etching is another item where the value is well below what you pay for it. I am not saying that lojack doesn't work, it does,but the price IMO is too high.
    I completely agree on the etching thing. That really is a waste. At least with Lojack, you are getting a service. I'll not belabor the Lojack thing because this isn't the correct forum for it but I do want to point out something. Driving as many miles as you do, you are VERY exposed to financial loss in the event of theft if you still owe a balance on your loan. Your insurance company will only pay replacement value for a stolen car and replacement value on a high mileage car is fairly low. If you still owe a balance, the amount you get from insurance will probably leave you owing more money. With LoJack, you have a much higher chance of a recovery and therefore not having to pay off a loan. GAP insurance will accomplish the same thing but in a different way.

I'm off my soap box now.
  • kybillkybill Member Posts: 44
    Your Camry is at @ the same mileage as my wife's and so far we've had no issues other than she likes to curb tires and she's hard on brakes. Aside from routine maintenance as specified in the owner's manual and checking tire pressure, it's been pretty much gas it and go. I expect it to last many years and it will probably be handed down to our next teen driver(ouch).

Your comment about the HL being on the Camry platform is right on point. The HL honestly handles as smoothly as the car, without any of that SUV lean and rough ride.

Catch my post to your attention on the HL board.
    color except Catalina Blue? I called my dealership yesterday to order some(figured that was a smart thing to do) and was told that they come in every color except that one. I really wanted to have that color so that they would match and be less noticeable - will black look okay?
  • scampr6scampr6 Member Posts: 2
    The tires that came on my 2003 Camry are Bridgestone's and they are not acceptable for New England winter weather. I am told by the dealership that all the Camry's come with these tires. I am really upset that I just spent so much for a car that I can't drive without replacing the tires. I think TOYOTA should be putting all weather tires on the Camry's being sold in New England. If I had know the car was came with tires that are not acceptable for driving in the winter in New England I would not have purchased the car. I recommend anyone considering purchasing an 2003 Camry, check the tires before you buy, especially if you live in New England. TOYOTA will be hearing from me. I am not going to pay for tires when I have only had the car for 3 months. The tires that came on the car should be good for at least a year and should be safe in all weather conditions. These tires are not safe for snow and are questionable in rain.
  • ksmith38ksmith38 Member Posts: 2
    bought the car? If I lived up north, knowing what the weather is like that is something that I would have most definitely looked into.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    those Bridgestones ARE four-season tires. Surely, if they stink in the snow the fault lies with Bridgestone, not Toyota?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Who put the Bridgestones on the car? The owner, Bridgestone or Toyota? Also, does anyone know the torque specs in foot/lbs. for 16" alloy wheel lug nuts for an '02 V6?
  • natalie00natalie00 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I own a 1987 Camry with 169,000 miles and a 1999 Camry with 49,000 miles. I think the Camry is a great value, and the reliability is almost flawless.

We have always done the recommended maintenance every 15,000 miles, per manufacturer guidelines. We've always had Toyota dealers perform this work, even though their per hour charges are much higher than non-dealer mechanics.

We recently had the 45,000 mile maintenance done on our 1999 Camry. They changed the oil and filter, and rotated the tires. The rest of the work was just inspection, which found no problems. I can't recall a Toyota mechanic EVER finding any problems during all the inspections we've had done as part of the scheduled maintenance work.

My question: is it really necessary to have a Toyota mechanic do this expensive inspection work, especially since they never find anything? I go to a Firestone shop for simple maintenance (oil changes, tire totations, etc.). This shop has given me reason to trust them, and they don't charge for inspections, just for work actually done. Would going to the less expensive mechanic for scheduled maintenance make more sense?

I appreciate any informed opinions that are posted here.
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I have an 02 Camry and for now, I have and plan to go to the dealer to get my servicing even though I know it costs more. I have 2 reasons.
    1. If anything goes wrong, (sludge, etc.)I can always prove that I had things done by them and they (Toyota) will be responsible.
    2. I figure if I take the cost of the service and average it out, it's not too much per day. It's worth it to me to pay it.
    Once my car is out of the warranty period and I feel it's not "new car" I'll take it to someone cheaper.
    Just my two cents....
    I always thought that GAP insurance was only used when you leased a car. Has that changed to straight financing as well? Is it a new "trend"?

Last year, I refinanced my car from a lease/loan hybrid program (that was not to my advantage in the long run, I won't do that again) and to get a lower interest rate. They offered me the GAP coverage and I took it because it was only a few dollars per month which was worth it for the extra protection. At the time, I found it a bit of a surprise, but thought it was because of my special circumstances of refinancing this loan (which I had never done before).

Then I see this discussion, so it seems as if GAP coverage is not just for leasing any more. It makes sense because the principle can still apply if your vehicle gets stolen or totaled early in the loan period, I just didn't realize it was as much of a factor for loans as it is for leases. Cliffy, can you clarify this for me? Or anyone else can respond as well. Thanks.
  • scampr6scampr6 Member Posts: 2
    The car was sent from the manufacturer with the Bridgestone tires on it. I bought the car in Septemeber. Obviously hind-sight is 20/20. I'd just like future potential Camry buyers to make sure they check the tires before they purchase the car, because if you are like me and don't know that much about tires, you'll want to do your research and know that the Bridgestone tires that come on the car are of no use to you in the snow. Zero traction. All-weather must be a very loose term.
    GAP became available on retail financing about 6 or 7 years ago. it makes sense because with longer term financing, it is just as easy to be up side down on a loan as it is on a lease.
    So this is a relatively recent change. And it makes a lot of financial sense too.

Thanks for the quick response!! :-)
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There is a discussion on one of the other boards about snow/ice driving conditions and the best tires to use in them. "all season" is a very loose term for tires from ANY manufacturer. If you live in New England where you get significant snow, you should invest in a good set of snow specific tires anyway as NO all season tire will give the same level of performance on snow and ice.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    Toyota says installation of any non-Toyota parts would void the warranty. If so, this would be ridiculous. What if we use a different oil filter? Also, do we need to show the dealership the record of proper maintanence for warranty purposes? If we DIY, what do we show? Please advise. I just got a '03 Camry.
    Aftermarket parts do void the warranty of the parts that they impact. For example, if you put an aftermarket alarm on the car and the starter stops working because of the wiring, it isn't covered.

The same can apply to the oil filter. Most filters you can buy do comply with manufacturer requirements for filtering oil. If however, the filter breaks and becomes clogged and engine damage occurs, Toyota can't be held responsible for the damage.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Toyota oil filters are about six bucks at the dealer's parts dept. They're not the same as the filter that came on the car when you bought it, but it's not a Fram either. If you change your oil
    at three thousand miles or less there should be no worry about oil sludge. Besides you'll have the dated receipt for the filter.
  • carguy57carguy57 Member Posts: 4
    I just thought I would give my opionion of the extended warranty.
    I have been the owner of several used car lots over the years and I have found out first hand of the importance of an extended warranty.
    Let me start off by saying that the majority of both new and used company employee's who plan on keeping their vehicles for 100,000 miles do end up buying the extended warranty and the best way to purchase a new toyota is to bye only the Platinum 0 deductable original mfg. warranty and from that point on only do all the mfg. required maintanance and pass on all the dealer suggested maintance and by doing so the savings on these unneccessary services will pay for your warranry as well as put over 1000 dollars cash in your pocket and still have a vehicle which is coverered for almost all non maintenance defects for 100,000 miles....along with a free loaner car whenever your car needs warranty repair.
    I have never owned a new personal car without the extended warranty and believe me I ended up way ahead each and every time.
    I paid under $1000.00 dollars for the 100,000 mile 6 years platinum 0 deductable warranty.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    It's pretty widely known that most manufacturers (except for some luxury cars) fit their new cars with cheap tires. A few dollars saved per tire multiplied by 4 multiplied by a large number of cars adds up to a big dollar number. Also, when was the last time you heard someone say that their new car purchase was influenced by the OEM tires? The original tires on my Tacoma were so bad that I didn't have to wait for winter to lose traction. Rain in July would cause the drive wheels to break loose accelerating away from a stop sign. One good thing about crappy tires is that they tend to wear out fast and then you can get something decent.
    I realize they are not great tires, but they are not total crap either. Bridgestone is a fairly middle-of-the-road brand. Certainly, if you live in a snowy place, you should have a separate set of winter tires for best traction.

All-season M+S tires just means that 25% of the tread space is open so that they can plow through more snow, mud, rain, whatever.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    IMO extended warranties are usually not worth the money you pay for them,but if I was a car mfg I would love this item. The Mfg's make a ton of money on these items as most people will not use them,it is merely an insurance policy. I wish Toyota and all others would release data showing the percentage of owners actually using the warranty. Now if you are unlucky enough to have to use it then it will be worth it,especially if the engine/tran goes. If you purchase certain cars like a KIA or some American makes then the chances of using it are greater then if you bought a Honda or Toyota.Keep this in mind, the most expensive items are already covered for 60,000 miles. Many people sell their vehicles before the warranty kicks in, and most dealers are not going to give you much more for your car on trade just because you have the EW. Yes there are some people who will benefit from these but not many. If Toyota were to sell 500,000 warranties at $700 each they would bring in $350 million dollars. They could then pay for new transmissions on 100,000 of them at$3000 each and still come out way ahead.
    I too wish the manufacturers would release that data. The last training meeting I was at, they claimed it was over 80% had some type of claim. Without counting extended warranties, our dealership did over $1 million in warranty claims last year.

You are correct that it is a value judgment. Just because somebody makes money on it, does not mean it is not worth the price. Also, there are HUGE differences in warranty programs. Ask anybody who has owned an aftermarket warranty and you will generally get negative feedback. Ask the same question to a person who bought a factory warranty and the response is VERY different.
  • ndboomerndboomer Member Posts: 20
    I have a '96 Camry (4 cyl), and my dealer wants to charge $600 for the 60,000 scheduled maintenance, which includes replacing the timing bels. I have always had the dealer maintain it, but since I am out of warranty anyway, I am tempted to go to a private repair facility.

Any advice from those of you who have face a similar dilema would be appreciated.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Perhaps this is old news- but Toyota's website now indicates that a power drivers seat is standard on LE models and a power moonroof is now standard on SE and XLE V6 iterations. Wow. Since we purchased our 2002 Camry LE, pwr drivers seat and keyless have both become standard (we opted for them both anyway). Even more impressive, Toyota has added the pwr moonroof, 6 disc in dash CD changer, and fog lights to the XLE V6. Ahh, the benefits of stiff competition... but can they frekin make ABS standard across the board already?
    ~alpha
    I think the XLE should have had those things from the get-go...I think Toyota is trying to make keyless standard across the board, only base corollas and echos don't have it now....I love that moonroof on the SE/XLE though! Is that just the SE V-6, or is it the 4-cyl as well?

ndboomer - you can leave the timing belt to 90K if you prefer...this is a non-interference engine, so the worst that can happen is you will need to be towed if it breaks, and Toyota dealers always needlessly recommend replacement at 60K, because it makes them some money. I don't think you would be able to save a ton of money going with a private repair shop though - the dealer should be doing this for about $200 or so (California rates).

rutger - remember, Honda's powertrain warranty is not 60K, it is only 36K, same as their bumper to bumper. I wonder if they are contemplating raising this to meet the current industry standard? They are beginning to look like VW did back when it had that 2 yr/24K bumper to bumper warranty a couple of years ago.

• johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Also posted under 'Camry Problems'

My 95 Camry LE w/ 129k miles is leaking coolant. Its at an independent shop now be diagnosed with a $450 estimate to replace radiator, hoses and thermostat. Does this seem in the ballpark as being reasonable? The mechanic said the leak was on a seam of the radiator, not at the hoses or clamps.

I called a Toyota dealer svc dept and the svc mgr stated it is extremely rare for a Camry radiator to rust out and go bad.
    Am I getting ripped off?

Thanks for any comments. John
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...rust is not the primary risk factor. While it may be unusual at your miles, cracks and splits can occur in the composite radiators of these cars simply from heat and road shock over enough months and miles.
    drivers seat was an option - one that I paid for -is this something new or just a rumor?
    As standard is brand new, probably just added to cars which are now being shipped. You can check out www.toyota.com for the official word, if you so choose- just click on models then Camry. It says it right there on the first Camry page.
    ~alpha
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I normally like to get my cars basic service at the dealer. Trouble is the Camry dealer where I purchased the car is about 25 miles away and charges about 20% more than the dealer by my house for an oil change and tire rotation. The dealer by my house (where our used RAV has been serviced for years) used to have a great service dept but the dealership is going down hill and I no longer have great confidence in them. We have a reliable tire place by us that we have frequented for tires, brakes and on other cars oil changes. Any reason why I should not let them do the 2002 Camry. They do not use Toyota bran filters...they say they are certified though. I plan on changing the oil every 3K miles. Maybe I am worrying about nothing but that sludge issue keep coming to mind...I know it does not affect the 2002 Camry...yet. What do you think?
  • letsride88letsride88 Member Posts: 1
    looking at used 4cyl Camry's, had an older 1989 that ran great with great mpg. What are the newer 4cyl camry's getting for gas mileage?
    Also test drove a 1994 and experienced an annoying bang from the right rear. My mechanic's told me he has gone crazy trying to find that noise on customer's cars. Anyone else experience this problem?
    Thanks
  • preludexlpreludexl Member Posts: 33
    Which is more accurate when buying a used camry? Kelly Bluebook or Edmunds Customized Appraisal. KBB is always higher than Edmunds....which is more accurate?
    I would normally use Armorall but wasn't sure if that could be used on the dash board, etc.

One more thing. Does anyone know why the mud guards come in every color except Catallina Blue(my car's color)?
  • phil4vers4phil4vers4 Member Posts: 18
    Could someone please fill me in on what this sludge issue is? And does it affect the 4cyl,
    6cyl or both? Thanks
  • downeaster16downeaster16 Member Posts: 14
    Last Saturday afternoon, I was backing out of another person's driveway in the middle of a snowstorm, and then heard a scraping sound. My 2002 Camry had just discovered a rock formation that protruded about 6-12 in. above the ground, just off the driveway. The rock left a couple of small dents and some scrapes in the paint in the strip of molding that is just below the passenger-side front door. Obviously, I'd like to repair the damage.

I can take the car to a local auto body shop that is authorized by my insurance company, or I can take it to an auto body shop that is a "Toyota certified collision center" and which is owned by the dealership where I bought my car. The "Toyota certified" shop is a bit further away. They are an authorized repair shop for several insurance companies (but not mine), but my insurance company would ultimately have no objections if I went there.

My question is: would it be better for me to have the work done by the "Toyota certified" place, or would it really matter? What would the benefits be? Thanks for your help!
    any place is fine, but you should be aware of whether or not they use genuine parts for anything they have to replace...this can affect the value of your car after completion of the work. Also compare warranties on the work - parts and labor.

sludge issues: all 2.2L 4-cylinder and 3.0L 6-cylinder engines in Toyotas between 1997 and 2001. If you have one of the affected engines Toyota has warranted it for eight years and unlimited miles against failure due to sludge. These engines were in camrys, the last of the previous celicas, some of the first Highlanders. If you think you might have an affected engine, you can stop by your local dealer and ask them whether or not, but the bottom line is change theoil reuglarly.

As far as where to have the oil changed, I am pretty sure the warranty will allow you to change the oil any professional place, including Jiffy Lube and the like, but if you want to be sure, you should ask your dealer. Call them up! The only rule to follow with oil changes is that if you change it yourself, you are supposed to use Toyota oil filters, and keep the receipts when you do so.

letsride: current mpg for 4-cyl is 23/32, or 24/33 with the very rare manual transmission.

In the newest issue of Car and Driver, the Camry came in 4th place (of 10) in the most recent family sedan comparison test. Predictably, the eminently capable Accord won. I am satisfied by the text and respect with which they treated the Camry (an SE 4cyl with manual), and as usual, the article is a good read.

However, the comparison tests that they run are becoming more bizzare. In the past, for family comparos, they realistically tested automatic trans. cars, within a certain price bracket, and with min interior volume constraints. This month's comparison spans nearly $7000 MSRP, the cars have a 100hp plus spread, some of the cars have ABS, two are automatic cars even though C&D eliminated the Mitsu Galant and Ford Taurus b/c they are auto only. What gives? Can we eliminate some variables, please?

In trying to please the enthusiasts AND the realistic car purchasers, C&D is losing its way in some of its comparisons, IMO.
    ~alpha