Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, not sure what you mean by "buying the car through a service", but we don't expect folks not to buy through sources other than Edmunds - drop me an email and we'll clear this up!
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I keep forgetting the Edmunds' policy. I'll recommend my friend to use Edmunds' pricing service.

Just test drove an 04 Honda Accord EX V6. To my suprise, it's at least as quiet as Toyota Camry V6, maybe even less road/tire noise. I took exactly the same section of the highway. I feel the interior room is less, and the material quality is a bit lower than Camry. Sorry about being off topic a little since this is Camry only section.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You're fine. Its welcome commentary, as long as Pat doesnt mind. Thanks for your comparisons and input.

~alpha
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, please feel comfortable sharing how you bought your car. As I said we certainly don't expect everyone to buy their vehicles through Edmunds partners.

So do tell and do ask!!

:)
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    After doing much research on Edmunds and other web sites and preparing for some real tough negotiating, I checked with AAA, since I've been a member since 1984, They have a buying service with authorized dealers. Cars are sold at $400 over invoice.

We wanted an XLE-V6 with VSC and Premium Pkg B, but the wife had been without a car for a few months and didn't want to wait any longer - as women are prone to do ;-P.

Dealer found us an '03 LE-V6 with sunroof, JBL CD stereo, black pearl emblems, carpeted floor mats and trunk, etc. Invoice was $21,300 + $400 = $21700. Since this was an '03, there was a $1000 rebate. We got the car for $20,700 plus TTT.
    No hassle, no negotiating, no feeling like we were taken to the cleaners.

May be worth looking into. The cost of a year's member ship in AAA (and CAA) is well worth it, if only for the roadside assistance. They also offer extended warranties for up to 72 months/100,000 miles.

Not every dealer is enrolled in the plan and not every salesman is authorized; just check the AAA web site to see which dealers are on line.

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy.

Deke
  • Options
    onlyimportsonlyimports Member Posts: 29
    I have this hesitation experience with my 03 SE V6 when the engine is not warm enough. I believe it could be the "drive by wire" thing or the motor has not been run in. I've read the same problem on the TSX by some reviewer. This happen to me about 2 times during one year of ownership. I'm glad it doesn't happen anymore now. I have a few rattles that had mysteroiusly gone.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Same thing happened with my 03 LE V6. There was a slight delay when I pushed the gas pedal. could it be related to new car "break in". My car also had two small rattles that used to come from the two front doors. Mysteriously disappeared after 4 months.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I did not think my '03 V6 XLE had electronic throttle control, also known as drive by wire. I saw no mention of it in the specifications for the car. I've noticed that cars that do have it, like the current Honda Accord and the new Acura TL, make a point of listing this in the specs.

Are those of you posting about this subject aware of something I'm not?
  • Options
    All Camrys since 02 models have drive by wire throttle control. Same for Accords since 03 models.
  • Options
    ando0307ando0307 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone who owns an 04 Camry SE with the 3.3L V6 engine, can you inform us what fuel the owner's manual recommends or requires?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    ando0307ando0307 Member Posts: 13
    I drove an 04 SE V6 with 5-spd auto transmission today. I noticed 4 gears (L-2-3-D) from the shift selector.
    It looks like a 4-spd auto shifter to me.
    The 04 Sienna has the same 3.3L V6 engine and its gear shifter has 1-2-3-4-D gears. Obviously, a 5-spd auto transmission
    How do we verify the 04 Camry SE V6 has a fifth gear to select?
  • Options
    the gear lever has a small button on the side which is called O/D or overdrive. You can turn it on or off. In a four speed automatic you would have L-2-D configuration for the gearbox. If you turn off the overdrive button you can only use the first three forward gears (4th gear is the overdrive gear in a 4 speed auto). In Camrys with 5 speed automatic the configuration is L-2-3-D (plus the overdrive button). If you turnoff the overdrive button in a 5 speed auto your car is running on 4 forward gears.
  • Options
    onlyimportsonlyimports Member Posts: 29
    To check if your car has electronic throttle just look around the area of the gas pedal and you can see a bunch of wires instead of a cable connected to the engine bay. I believe they all 2003s have them.
  • Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    "Invoice was $21,300 + $400 = $21700. Since this was an '03, there was a $1000 rebate. We got the car for $20,700 plus TTT."

When I bought my 03 XLE 4cyl in June I got a few hundred below invoice and a 1K rebate like you. V6 models in my area were selling at invoice.

Just a slight correction. You really paid $21,700 plus TTT minus the 1K rebate.

Hope your wife loves the new car!
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for the tip about electronic throttle control -- there is, indeed, a pod of electrical wires leading off the pedal area, up into the firewall. MOTOWNUSA -- also, thanks, you were right, my car does have this.

It's interesting to me that Toyota is not listing this in the specs or promoting it at all, like Honda and Acura do, as an advance in engine control technology, especially since the mechanical, cable linkage has been around for a 100 years. I found some interesting articles on the Internet about the subject by Googling "Electronic throttle control." Seems like it makes for more efficient engine management all around.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Any one know how to get the trim off around the radio...I am determined to get it off and insulate around the radio....I can no longer stand the buzzing and vibrations that emenate from this area.
  • Options
    toronto88toronto88 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who owns a Camry SE V6 for a few weeks or more and like to share some experience. It will help me to buy this car. Especially if you have driven Camry 03 V6
  • Options
    sotissotis Member Posts: 6
    this site gives instuctions on how to remove trim
    and the radio

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToyCamry4.htm
  • Options
    THANKS!.....perhaps I can eliminate a rattle, buzzz ot two....I will give the dealer a shot...prblem is it never does it when we go on a minute test drive and they are reluctant to do anything without hearing it...
  • Options
    wolf25wolf25 Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased an 2004 Camry XLE V6 in Chicago area. Could I get an advice as to where to get Toyota extended warranty for the best price.
    What it could be for 7yr/75000 with 0 deduct?
    Could someone share the experience?

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    According to the most recent annual survey of subscribers, the Camry's Predicted Eeliability has returned to the top ranking of "Much Better than Average" for 2003, up from the "Average" rating that the redesigned 2002 model received.

HUGE Toyota disappointment: The 4Runner V6 models were rated "Much Worse than Average", the worst mark. This is in sharp contrast to the 4Runner V8 models, which eraned the top mark, just like the Camry and numerous other Toyotas.

~alpha
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I attempted to reply to your e-mail but it bounced. I have an answer to your question but I need a better e-mail address.
  • Options
    lay2lay2 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased 2003 Camry XLE V6 and noticed that the bumpers on other cars seems to be easily damage. The salesman attempted to sell me a bumper guard made by 3M manufacturer for $343.00 which I thought was obsurd. What do you recommend and from whom? I am interested in your response.
  • Options
    jim112jim112 Member Posts: 12
    I need to replace the radiator in my '92 Camry LE (4cyl, AT). I find prices ranging from under $100 (Radiator Express) to $185 (Napa). Is there an advantage of brass over plastic tanks and copper or copper-brass over aluminum core? Anyone have experience with online sellers; where do I buy?

thanx
  • Options
    Where did you find this information alpha, CR online or the magazine in the newsstand? Did they say why the V6 fared worse than the V8?
  • Options
    nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Hi Alpha01,

I have read your numerous posts in regards to the Camry's. Always very informative, but aren't you a Honda owner? Have you come about anyone purchasing a new Camry with the platinum protection plan and $0.00 deductables? If so, what are they paying and what is the dealer's invoice cost? Also, where did you get your stats that indicate that the Camry is above average on the 03 models?

Thanks
  • Options
    In the book store, in a special edition (ie.. non monthly) Consumer Reports publication entitled "2004 New Car Preview". It contains the most recent results of the latest CR reader survey. I was happy to see the Camry return to its "Much Better than Average" status.

I was completely SHOCKED at the 4Runner V6's horrid reliability. The reason was not explicitly stated, and I didnt have time to review the reliability tables.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    V8 Camry!!!! Tell me where!!!!
  • Options
    The v6 vs V8 comparison I was making was regarding the 4Runner's reliability. I don't think Toyota has any plans to put a V8 in the Camry. Would be nice if they did though.
  • Options
    Paid $690 for my zero deductible 7/75 platinum warranty when I bought my 02. Cliffy is a great source for answers regarding these warranties. You need not purchase the warranty from the same dealership where you bought the car.
  • Options
    What does it say about rattles.....I find it hard to believe the Camry rattle trap can be back on top in this category!
  • Options
    According to CR the 03 Camry's reliability has improved from average (white circle) to much better than average (red circle). I think the squeaks and rattles were limited to the 02 and some early 03 models.
  • Options
    Motownusa and Alpha01,

Thanks for the information. I am very pleased to hear that they are getting the "bugs" out of this vehicle. We just placed our order for the 04 Camry SE V6 and can't wait for it to arrive. Hey, hopefully Honda will look into geting their "bugs" exterminated in the Accords :-).
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    ... since the 2003 went down only to "better than average", as opposed to 2002 Camry's "average".
  • Options
    notnobunotnobu Member Posts: 3
    Just bought 04 Camry XLE 4 cylinder last week, great car and love it.

I am planning to drive the new car from Vancouver Canada down to LA back and forth along highway I-5 next month to spend my 2 week vacation with my family. That will be about 20-hour drive each way. At that time, the car will just pass the break-in period which is 1,600KM recommended by the Camry user manual.

Do you think that will be ok for the new car?

How often should I stop and let the car to have a break?

Is there a recommended speed limit I shouldn't exceed?

Anything else should I concern?

I asked the dealer, he said it would be fine. But I want to hear more opinions from this board.

Thanks!
  • Options
    slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I would just vary the speed, try to avoid the same speed for a long time, don't go more than 75-80mph..can you drive the car now so you can break it in more before your trip?
  • Options
    Notnobu,

I agree with slov98. Try to vary the speeds, do not punch the gas on take offs. Also the brakes, pump the breaks allow them to break in for the first few hundred miles. My opinion as an Engineer, I would not go over 60 - 65 MPH for the first 1000 miles. After that, you may go to 65 - 70 and as the vehicle further breaks in after 3000 - 5000 miles you may go to 75 - 80 etc. In my past experience with Japanese vehicles they really do no completly break in for at least 10,000 miles in which you begin to get better gas mileage, handling, breaking and acceleration becomes much better. I would also recommend changing the oil at 1000 miles then another at 3000 miles, then follow the manual. For my own vehicle I change the oil every 3000 miles even though the manual says 5000 miles, the city driving really pounds on the vehicles especially the 4 cyclinders. Hope this helps.

Later
  • Options
    "I would also recommend changing the oil at 1000 miles then another at 3000 miles, then follow the manual."

I have read articles that state that this is an antiquated procedure, and should NOT be done, as new vehicles are shipped from the factories with specially formulated oil for the "break-in" period, and that changing oil unnecesarily is not advised.

However, I do agree that you really shouldnt go 5000 miles between oil changes. We go every 3750 with our cars, which keeps us in line with the dealer service schedule for tire rotations, and more major work at 15K, 30K, etc.

~alpha
  • Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I do 5K on my oil and tire service. Has worked fine on my last three cars and an easy to remember service interval. It is also what the owners manuals have suggested.
  • Options
    I agree that if you don't abuse your or do a lot of stop and go driving, changing oil at 5000 mile interval is good enough. However, there are all types of drivers out there and all types of driving situation. So I think it depends on you and your environment as to how frequently you should change oil.

Does anyone know why Toyota switched to rough plastic for the dashboard and door panels since 2002? I personally liked the quality of plastic in my 92 Camry LE better.
  • Options
    dillon3499dillon3499 Member Posts: 11
    I just had the first oil change, in my 2003 Camry, and then noticed oil dripping on the driveway and in my garage. I talked to the Dealer's service manager and he said it was a poor toyota design causing this. He claims the old oil gets on the undercarriage and drips for a number of days. Has anyone else run into this situation after an oil change? Thanks
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have had several cars that did this, not just the Camry. I would call it "poor service", rather than poor design. It can be avoided by extra care (aka known as clean up) during the oil change.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I had a '98 Avalon and a '01 Highlander and both had leftover oil drips after oil changes. The dealer I worked with was pretty good and they took extra care to take care of this issue, but never solved it. My guess is that it's a design issue.
  • Options
    buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    any idea?
  • Options
    Just saw this over lunch, got to be quick...just want to say that if this is true it is NOT a testament to GM but only shows once again that Toyota (and I guess Honda too) are cheapening their cars....(got to go....Vibration Vibration, Rattle Rattle Buzz Buzzz Creak Creak....VaRoooom out of here!)
  • Options
    I think you may be wrong. The Regal has been around in its current iteration for 7 model years now, and 2004 will mark its eigth. This is plenty of time for GM to close the quality gap, as it has no NEW major adjustments to make in vehicle manufacture. That said, the Camry was upgraded to Much Better Than Average this year, up from "Average" in its first year of production of this redesign. This simply means that few new models are immune to first year, bugs, Toyota no exception. Toyota is still producing quality vehicles, as the consumer data examples will attest.

~alpha
  • Options
    buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    any idea?
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Toyota is still producing quality vehicles, as the consumer data examples will attest.

True, just not as much quality as in the past. Plus, the list if Toyota only fluids is a pain, ATF, Coolant etc. No longer for me, Subaru and OTC fluids and lubricants.
  • Options
    ledwidgeledwidge Member Posts: 6
    I've got an 98 V-6 Camry with 90k miles that I plan to keep it another 3+ years. On my prior cars I'd usually replace the struts about this time rather than wait until the last minute. At least I'd get a few years of enjoyment out of them.

It's just a bit bouncy at this point. The tail drags a bit with 4 adults. The strut tower problem was fixed long ago.

Any thoughts on my timing and any advice on the brand of struts? I'd expect the OEMs to be the best but they have to be pricy.

BTW - It's been everything you used to be able to count on in a Toyota. Strictly routine maintenance. Check engine light did come on once - 1,000 miles from home on a Saturday. Pulled into a dealer in Ft. Myers, got treated like the Mayor and was on my way in a hour
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Did the dealer tell you the cause for the engine light to come on?

Thanks in advance.