Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I am always curious when people say 100K miles or 200K miles with no problems. Surely it would not be abnormal for an engine or tranny to wear out in this period of time....would a new tranny on car with 200K be considered by this individual to be a problem? In other words what does 'no problems' mean? If it means no engine rebuild or tranny rebuild then that is remarkable...I assume the car is likely driven all highway....

Also, even if you are correct about only '1000th of one percent affected' that still shows how such a small number can still (even if only to a small degree) tarnish a reputation. Also the news came out after most cars were already sold and the new Camry was just out....with a new 4 cylinder engine...would have been more interesting if the 02 Camry was for sale with the old engine.

Personally, I am glad for the new one, its smooth, quite, fast and fuel efficient...hope it last long time...I won't be too disappointed though if it does not go 300K....125K will do!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I can't tell you how many customers sit in front of me and tell me how they have never had a single problem ever with thier Toyotas. Keep in mind, these are people who I am attempting to sell an extended warranty, so I'm sure much of it is bluster. I get to the point though, where I feel like the only person who has ever had an AC compressor go out or needed new valve seals. Did I mention I just had to replace the front differential in my 2003 Tundra? No, they are not perfect and nobody ever said they were. They are just less likely to have problems than the others.
  • 2003sev62003sev6 Member Posts: 44
    My sentiment exactly. I prefer to stick with the odds especially when it is my primary form of transportation.
    Again, which is why I bought the Camry...Good Lord we all agree on something!
    and I am sure it will be a reliable car for you. Please keep me updated on how well that 4 cylinder serves you. I can't believe how smooth, powerful and quiet that engine really is. I think most people would think it was a V6 if they didn't know better.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Last spring I gave our son my 1994 Camry LE 4cyl. after I purchased the 2002 XLE 4cyl. The vehicle now has 260,000 kilometers (156,000 miles). It has never required any major repairs (although it could use a set of shocks and struts). It still has the original muffler. Oil changes were done every 6,000 kms. It amazes me how well it drives and how quiet the vehicle is (I hope I haven't jinxed it) At Approx. 120,000kms. blue smoke appeared at start-up. No fix was required and to date we have never had to add oil between oil changes. The blue smoke seemed to disappear not long after I first noticed it. Unless you need the towing capacity, the 4cyl is all that most will require. In some cases, having a 6cyl. is psychological more than practical. I really don’t want to enter into a debate on which motor best suits an individual’s needs. It’s your money and your choice.
    There was a lady in Edmonton with I think a 1990 Corolla. The dealership there took it off her hands to put in their showroom. The Corolla had approximately 998,000km on it and it was fully serviced at that dealer. They gave her a brand new 2003 Corolla in return. So who knows, maybe you'll get a new Camry when yours gets that high:)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I read the article in the National Post last fall. It would be nice to reach 1,000,000kms. However, my son may not be as meticulous in maintaining the vehicle as I was (maybe I should have sold it to him).
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We usually do the 3k to 4k oil change intervals on our cars. But when we bought the '96 Camry LE, both the salesman and the service manager insisted that the 7.5k change intervals were all we needed to do, as per the manual. So we listened...stupid us.
    We still got 80k miles out of the car, and the wife wanted a change anyways, so we dumped the car rather than deal with the sludge and the other problems they found. Had already replaced 1 motor mount and we needed a second 1, among other things.
    Was definitely time to replace it, this just moved up our time table.

The Sandman :-)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    try some "other" manufacturers with all the automatic transmission failures!
  • rubbermanrubberman Member Posts: 14
    Sorry for another msg about mileage, but I have seen a 10% decline (30 to 26/27 mpg)in the last couple months. I have almost a year's worth of data at 1000 miles/week that supports this. It had 60K service earlier this year and I'm careful about keeping the tires 33-35 psi. What are other common causes for a significant reduction in mpg? It coincides with cold OH weather although this may not be significant. 10% loss equates to almost $300/year for me. Thanks!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Gasoline companies change the formulation of the gas that colder climates use during the winter months, varying the amount of additives such that the engines will still start easily and run smoothly despite frigid weather. Here in NJ, our cars (2 Toyotas and 1 Nissan) both experience a drop starting in late Oct/early Nov and lasting through about the beginning of March, from what I have observed.

~alpha
  • bloofishbloofish Member Posts: 1
    Is getting the following options worth it?

1) VSC
    2) side air bag
    3) curtain airbag

I am in California (both Bay Area and Los Angeles)
    Old emmissions were tested yearly and cost $7. New emmissions now cost $35 - $45 and I am told if you own a '96 or newer car and your check engine light is on, you will fail otherwise you are almost sure to pass. Of course you car is has a good chance of getting repaired for free under the mandated 8/80K emmisions coverage rules. So, if I understand this, if my check engine light comes on, I;ll likely get the car fixed, especially if there is no charge. Thus it is unlikely my car will ever fail the emmisiuons test. Thus it is a complete rip-off if off to have your car inspected if still under emmision warranty.

No say you own a pre-96 vehicle. I am told only a visual inspection is done. If the car is missing pieces or has stuff jury-rigged, the owner will need to repair the car so long as it costs less than $150.

Sounds like nobody benefits from the new PA emmission controls except those who make the testing equpiment.

---Sorry, had to get that off my chest....If I am missing something here, fellow Pennsylvanians please let me know!

PS: A brand new car is given an exemption from the $45 test the first year but the owner must still pay a $25 fee!
    Is that Vehicle Skid Control? Is that like traction control? If so I would highly reccomened it. I do not think they had it as an option of '02 LE. The Camry with the Continental tires is really bad in the rain and snow. I would think VCS should help. In fact I replaced my tires with only 15K they were so bad. The new BF Goodrich Traction TAs are MUCH MUCH better though not as quiet. Still the Camry's tires 'spin' more than other cars I have driven in the past. Perhaps the VSC would make the car perfect.

As far as side airbages and the such...anyone see any studies on the possible impact to childen who doze off in the car whose heads fall towards the sides of the car. I'd think there would be some concern if the bags went off...not sure....
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i just adore the catalina blue color on the camry--saw it last night on the dealer lot-- anyone know if that's available with a beige interior and not the grey interior? i like the tan/beige interior over the gray.
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    As a fellow Pennsylvanian (hopefully not for much longer, though), the new emissions test uses computerized equipment to determine emissions levels and they will no longer use the wand stuck in the tailpipe... oh, that and it will cost about $20 more! On pre-96 vehicles, they will still use the "old" method with the wand in the tailpipe.

There is an exemption for any car (regardless of year) that is driven less than 5K miles per year... thus, most brand new cars come with an "exempt" emissions sticker on them. Up until a few months ago, my parents had an 81 Buick that would have *never* passed emissions... they used their other car most of the time... kept the Buick under 5K miles per year... and got the exemption each time! I think there is a small charge for the sticker but don't think its $25... most stickers cost $2.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have a 2003 Camry SE ..Catalina Blue with taupe interior (beige?) Not grey (they call it Charcoal in the SE, I think.) The dash top and tops of the door panels are charcoal, and the seats, lower dash and carpets are the taupe color...very nice combo. We had a hard time finding this color combo when we bought, but we hung in there for our choice, and found it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up buying.
    The VSC option is available, currently, only on V6 Camrys. It is uses the ABS sensors and traction control to brake individual wheels when a "skid" is detected/imminent (It may also be able to apply throttle pressue to the front wheels, I'm not sure on this though). It is a very worthwhile option, especially if you live in an area plagued by heavy rains or harsh winters. More beneficial, IMO, is the passive safety device of Side Airbags and Side Curtains, which are packaged as an option together, and available on all model Camrys, though I have yet to see a Camry SE 4 cylinder with this valuable safety feature.

According to the 2004 Camry brochure, Catalina Blue can be had with the Taupe (Beige) fabric (LE, SE, XLE) or Taupe Leather (SE, XLE).

~alpha
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hey y'all,
       I've been considering buying a Camry, Corolla or Prius. I've been reading the Prius Town Hall constantly and I am now considering buying a Camry instead of a Prius due to the wait time, technology and some problems. I would love to hear your opinions between the three car choices- good, bad and otherwise. I like the idea of getting a proven, reliable car like the Camry, and I would drive it home today vs wait 3-4 months. The Corolla is tempting because of the near 40 mpg, but I need room in the trunk for my golf clubs. I currently drive an "84 Corvette.
    Thanks
    Rich
    If you haven't already looked at the Corolla, there is enough room in that trunk for yours and four of your buddies golf clubs in that trunk. As for the Camry, well that trunk is huge and on both vehicles, the seats fold in a 60/40 split. If you are really interested about fuel economy then wait for the Hybrid Camry to come out.
  • rockingruvinrockingruvin Member Posts: 2
    Anyone ever done one themselves? I have a 96 4 cylinder w/ 90k that needs a new front left. How hard is it? Thanks in advance.
    2003sev6- Thanks for the input. I'm headed out to play golf today and I will visit a Toyota dealer for test rides and test fit my golf bag in the Corolla and Camry. Thanks again!
    Rich
    Please post back and let me know what you think.
    2003sev6-
    After playing golf, (muddy fairways shot 81/26 putts) my clubs were too dirty to bring along. Test drove a Corolla, examined the trunk space and it seems very adequate. I can't decide if my money is better spent on a Camry for its comfort or the Corolla for its mpg. Between the two which one is a better bargain for the money? Any opinions apreciated.
    It really depends on what you want. A fully loaded Corolla starts to crowd on the price of a base model Camry. So you have to ask yourself, do you want fully loaded or a base model. If you don't have to buy right away, then wait till the Corolla XRS comes out in the summer and take that for a test drive before you decide.
  • senselesssenseless Member Posts: 46
    I do a lot of driving and am completely fed up with standard radio. Endless commercials and no variety. The last straw was when an infomercial I had on was interrupted by commercials. (True!)

Sadly, I see no XM radio option for the Camry, so I assume I'll have to go with an external unit. Which radio is most easily adapted? I'd like to avoid the cassette adaptor, which is really makeshift.
  • bonovox80bonovox80 Member Posts: 5
    Hi senseless,

A few weeks ago I bought an external XM receiver unit called "Delphi XM Roady." It comes standard with the cassette adapter. However, there is a wireless FM adaptor available, which I bought. It's so easy. Just plug the adaptor into the Roady and the Camry's power outlet, and you're ready to go. I bought my unit at Best Buy, and paid around $200, with an extended warranty.
  • kybillkybill Member Posts: 44
    Fore! As a fellow golfer, whose wife drives a Camry and whose daughter drives a Corolla, take the Camry. More trunk room, especially if you need to pick up a buddy or two and in bad weather, having more interior space to change clothes is a benefit. Overall, you may prefer the nicer vehicle and the mpg may not be as big a factor, in comparison. As for me, I drive a Highlander and have room for the whole foursome and all the clubs. I don't mind driving and it takes the hassle out of trying to put 10 lbs. of "stuff" into a 5 lb. bag. 81/26 - solid effort.
  • senselesssenseless Member Posts: 46
    Yes, the FM modulator will adapt to any radio, I guess. I was thinking auxilary input, but I guess it's not needed. I will have to run an external antenna and coax under the rug, somehow.

XM would be a nice built in option and I'm surprised Toyota is not offering it.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    The main difference comes down to about $2000, that is not an insignificant amount of money. Both cars are great. MPG probably about 5-6 better on Corolla. For everyday commuting and just one or two people probably size of Corolla fine; more than that Camry might be worth it. Also Camry will ride a bit nicer due to the weight. In an accident,all things being equal and given the size of these SUV's on the road today, the camry would be the best choice. If you can get side air bags,might be worthwhile. If you want ABS, easier to get on camry. I have a 99 camry,put on many miles, have thought about downsizing since I am usually the only one in the car. Tough choice, but really can't go wrong with either car. Have you considered the Accord/Civic?
    Thanks guys for the input. Following yesterday's round of golf (85 w/muddy fairways) I was going to test drive a Camry, but I was too mud-splashed. However today I'll try again. I test drove a Corolla and seemed okay but I'm wondering if (I am 5-11 and 235 lbs) the car may start getting a bit cramped on a long highway trip. Normally I'd be the only passenger in the Corolla and I'd use my other car ('01 LeSabre) for other trips. What kind of mileage can I realistically expect from a Camry or Corolla on the highway driving the +/- 5 mph of the speed limit? Thanks again for the advice.
    Rich
    I have found that Consumer Reports fuel economy loops are generally very indicative of the real world fuel economy that most consumers can achieve. Forget the EPA figures. Their test loops are out of whack, not very scientific in formulation, and are not extended period tests like Consumer Reports uses. (Not to mention that inerent in the EPAs government affiliation is significant auto industry lobbying influence).

For the Camry 2.4L ULEV 4 auto, from the Jan 02 issue of CR, expect:

City: 16 MPG
    Highway: 35 MPG
    Overall: 24 MPG

For the Corolla 1.8L ULEV 4 auto, from the Jul 02 issue of CR, expect:

City: 20 MPG
    Highway: 40 MPG
    Overall: 29 MPG

However, although the Corolla 4s acceleration times are only slightly slower than the Camry's, I feel the Camry to be quicker. This may play a factor in your driving habits, which will, in turn, affect fuel economy (of the Corolla, if you tend to drive it harder).

~alpha
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2002 4 cyl SE that I've had for two years and one month and I have put almost 42,000 miles on it. A lot of mixed driving Highway/City. I record all of my fillups and check mileage. My worstMPG was 18 and my best(on a trip exclusively on interstates) was 35, so it looks like CU's mileage is right on with mine.

In my opinion, you will really like the 4 cyl Camry. The car is very roomy. I'm 5' 10" and the car is very comfortable, even with the sunroof. Plus, if you would want a basic Camry,(which has Power Windows, Locks, AC and CD Player) they are selling for 16,999 around here (Pittsburgh). It looks like Toyota is intent on keeping the top selling car title for the Camry.

Good Luck.
    Have they no shame....A few years back the redesigned Chevy Malibu came out....looking remarkably similar to the Camry. The Malibu mustered up an OK reputation. Instead of building on it they again copied the NEW Camry. I just saw an 04 Malibu from the back. At first I thought it was an 05 Camry with perhaps a touch up in the back. The front look quite similar to the Camry as well, it had me fooled until I saw the Chevy nameplate. Immitation may be flattering but this car is a complete rip off of the Camry styling wise...I mean who are they kidding!

You'd think Toyota would sue or make an issue of it...I guess they do not want to lower themsleves to that level...then again they are already in bed with Pontiac so who knows...
  • dkinyondkinyon Member Posts: 3
    I think I'm posting this correctly...

I read on E-Opinions.com that some people have had problems with rain and water leaking in the doors of 2003 Camrys.
    We're looking at the 2004 models and wondering if any 2004 owners have had this same problem

Thanks
  • hkeeleyhkeeley Member Posts: 1
    What is the difference between the two? I am looking at '04 Camrys and doing some comparisons-don't understand the difference between moonroof and sunroof. I am trading in a convertible and am a bit sad about giving up the sun/wind of a rag top but I need a more fuel efficient car..so I thought one of the two options (moon/sunroof) would help me get over the lose of a full convertible.
    The terms are used synonymously now, but there is a difference. A sunroof if metal. You can't see through it. A moonroof is smoked glass, usually with a sunshade. I don't know anybody who still makes a genuine "sunroof" anymore.
    Is about as credible an automotive authority as is the National Enquier a news magazine. I'm not saying things are fabricated, just that you'll find much more useful information by perusing Consumer Reports reliability rankings, JD Power Long Term dependability studies, and true automotive forums like this one. No problems with our 2002 Camry. Best of luck.

~alpha
  • cammer2cammer2 Member Posts: 38
    I was curious if anyone had heard any CREDIBLE information about the Camry being offered as a hybrid.

I know Toyota has hinted at such a vehicle, but with the hybrid Accord coming out within a year and the Nissan Altima not too far behind it, it seems difficult to imagine that a hybrid package won't be offered.

Again, just wondered if anyone has heard anything.

Thanks.
    I'm sorry that I dont have anything concrete to add, but I'd imagine a hybrid Camry is a very real addition to the Toyota line around the time that Nissan's hybrid Altima will be introduced-- afterall, Nissan purchased the rights to Toyota's own Hybrid Synergy Drive directly from Toyota recently, and I'm pretty sure they made explicit their intention for its use in the Altima. I find it illogical to believe Toyota would sell its own technology, and then not enter that market. But of course, these are just my thoughts. Counterarguments welcomed.

~alpha
    Some of our salesmen were at a Toyota even about 3 months ago where this subject came up. If the guy leading the training was correct, all Toyotas will be offered with a hybrid option by the 2008 model year. That includes the trucks.

I took this news with a grain of salt, because some of our salesmen have been known to not listen enough, but that is what was reported.
  • sdhutchsdhutch Member Posts: 3
    We've had an 04 SE for a month. The dealer aligned it once, as it pulled bad to the left. Its somewhat better now, but still pulls a little. Appears that others have had this problem. Any known solutions to this? Is there a TSB on it yet?
    The "problem" is on the 3.3L V6 SEs, and if you indeed have the 4 cylinder, which you indicated that you do on the pricing thread, it seems as if you have a unique issue. Also, you should be happy with your price. Not bad at all.

~alpha
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    I just acquired 2 Camrys--both are 89s, one has the V6 and the other has the 4cyl. I'm assuming both have timing belts...and if they break while I'm driving, will either engine have to be totally rebuilt? I know some engines don't self destruct, while others do. Any help is appreciated---the 4 cyl has about 180K on it---so hurry!!! Thanks ahead of time.
    I am unsure about leaks but have had nothing but good luck with epinions.com...if you understand what it is. Realize it is just peoples opinions...as is the case in this forum. Relaize too that CR basis it reliability ratings on the opinions of its readers....I know I fill out my ballot each year. Unless you can make the argument that people are more truthfull to CR than epinions I am not sure why it should not be considered. I have picked up many tidbits on a variety of items from epinions. With sometimes dozens of reviews on an item you can gain a wealth of info on it. Sure you can get some wacky negative reviews but they are usually easy to identify and disregard. I would guess the folks who supply opinions and read those opinions posted there are the same ones who take advantage of forums like this on Edmunds. Also note the CAMRY rating on epionion....very high. Just my two cents....
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I happened to have saved a copy of a file about whether an engine is free running or interference from somewhere in Edmund. Engines in 1989 Toyota Camriy (actually majority of Toyota engines), both 2.0 4-cylinder or 2.5 V-6 are free running type, meaning piston and valve won't be damaged if timing belt is broken.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/timingbelt.pdf is another file very similar to the one I mentioned in my last post.
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    That's rather comforting to hear. Thanks for the quick reply! Another question I have concerning these old Camrys centers around starting difficulty in cold weather. Both of mine, and a friend's '90 4-cylinder have to be cranked for probably 10 seconds before they start on a cold morning (meaning 20 degrees Fahrenheit). I'm beginning to think it's normal, but I'm used to fuel injected cars starting right up even when its frosty out. Thanks again!
    I was told that Toyota's goal is to have at least 75% of Toyota models with a hybrid system in them by 2010 and that includes the Lexus line. My understanding is that the Camry will get the hybrid before the next model change as is the case for the Hylander. A redesigned Camry will come out around the middle of 2006 as a 2007 model.