Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Actually I don't know a lot about it. When cars get old, it could happen. Weak battery? Dirty fuel filter? Partially clogged feul injectors? Spark plugs? Anything else in electric circuit to generate a strong enough spark, and anything else in the fuel line to provide a free flow of fuel...

My 02 QX4 starts noticeably easier than my 00 RX300. QX4 only needs a very short cranking. Many times I though I cranked it too short and I saw the rpm needle went down to nearly zero, but it came up...
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For those interested in crash tests, keep your eyes peeled- the IIHS dynamic side crash test ratings for midsize sedans are due soon. I'd guess Dateline will be airing them within the next week or two, and check www.iihs.org for info as well.

~alpha
  • dkinyondkinyon Member Posts: 3
    I read on the Camry Problems and Solutions forum that a TSB had been issued.
    After reading the other posts, I'm not sure if a solution had been found and if it just applies to SE models.
    Anyone have any new information on this? Which models, is one worst than another, what can help, is there a fix?
    That the left-pull issue is associated ONLY with the 3.3L V6 equipped Camrys and Solaras, meaning it would affect only the Camry SE V6, and NOT the Camry SE 4 (this model has been out for 3 years..).

~alpha
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The problem with hard starting is likely to be a bad Cold Start Injector Timer. This tells the cold start injector to squirt extra fuel when the water temp is low in order to enable easy starts. I had this problem last winter with my 89 4-cyl Camry. A dealer will charge about $140 for the part. The coolant will need to be partially drained to remove and install the timer. This is a common problem.
  • dkinyondkinyon Member Posts: 3
    I was reading Consumer Reports 2003 annual car guide today and noticed the Camry's reliability was just average. I thought this was very unusual since reliability for all other Toyotas was above average. Do you think the reliability of the Camry has declined a little over the years or was this score based on the sludge incident I read about and other factors? I think this reliability rating also factored into them preferring the Accord over the Camry.
    I know those scores are based on owner surveys and could be biased but other Toyotas ranked at the top for reliability in all the other catagories.
    My wife is looking seriously at the 2004 Camrys so any input would be appreciated.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    was build issues, not mechanical issues; mostly in the rattle arena. Sludge does not apply to this car at this point. I have found the car to great in most respects but in the rattle arena awefull and embarrasing. I believe the over rating of the 04 is up and Toyota will tell you they solved the rattles issue but I would not be too quick to believe them. I am still trying to get my rattles tended to and still see complaints for 02/03 and 04s. At least I have found out about some new parts of late that may quiet some rattles. Hopefully this works. I would expect the newer parts are used on the 04s.

All in all, if rattes do not offend you, the Camry still is the place to be. If they bug you try a Honda. I am not quite so confident that the over all reliabilty Toyota has earned over the years will hold for the 02 redesign, if they cheated on plastics and fasteners and such, how do you know they did not cheat elsewhere as well. Enthusiaists here will poo poo that notion but time will tell...still a Toyota with a great past track record and an even unknown current one is better than many domestics with consistently average or below average past records.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I own a 2003 Camry LE V6. My rattle problem isn't as bad as andrelaplume's. However, I heard two distinct rattles coming from the seatbelt re tractor/extension area of the front driver and passenger side doors. I didn't have the dashboard rattle. The rattles lasted about 6 months from the date of purchase. During my 6000 mile oil change I told the service manager about the problem and he told me the mechanic will look into it. Since then my car has been rattle free. I don't know what they did but for the last 4 months it has been rattle free. Keeping my finger crossed it won't return.

My suggestion to you;test drive both the 04 Camry and Accord over all kinds of road. Bumpy, smooth, (try to find a speed breaker, drive over it and keep your ears peeled for any kind of unusual noises. Also try to find a road with a very coarse surface (like an asphalt road that hasn't been smoothed over). If the car is a rattler you will definitely hear it. If you have to, take both cars for an extended test drive. Our Toyota dealer allows potential customer to keep the car overnight. Overall, I am very pleased with Toyota and how they treated me. Dealer treatment was my factor for choosing Camry over Accord. Hope this helps
    I will certainly agree with andrelaplume- the redesigned 02 Camry's build issues were primarily concerned with interior trim. However, reliability, as rated by Consumer Reports has returned to "Much Better than Average", after a drop to only "Average" for reliability based on the 2002 model. That said, the Accord is NOT immune from rattles, as you will find if you read that thread as well. Indeed, it saw a drop in reliability this year, from "Much Better than Average" to "Better than Average" after the redesign. (I'm basing info on a publication available from CR that is on newsstands only, called "2004 New Car Review" or something along that line..... the rest of us can expect to see the current reliability rankings in the April 2004 issue, which should be arriving in suscribers mailboxes in the next 5 weeks).

What this all says to me:
    No automaker is free from redesign bugs. Indeed, this is not the first time for Toyota and Honda, and it will not be the last. Additionally, I feel the domestics and Koreans are closing the gap with respect to long term reliability. But Toyota/Honda still remain on top.

~alpha
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, the reason reliability dropped to average was the rattles, which most people get fixed under warranty or they ignore. If you look at the "other" car, you'll see transmission problems, alignment, some rattles, etc. The sludge "issue" is not something to be concerned about on the new Camry, and not on an older Camry either. My in-law has a 97 (one of the so-called sludge engines) with over 100k miles , changes oil every 3,500 miles, no sludge, no consumption. For that matter, no issues at all, just an alternator at 90 some thousand miles. The Camry is the very quiet and rides very nice, IMHO, compared to the other car. The other one is "sportier", if that's what you like. Test both, pick the one you like.
    if only it were that simple!
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Just curious.....

Have you heard any news regarding whether Toyota will make ABS brakes standard equipment across the entire Camry lineup for the 05 model year? I'm really surprised they did not do this with the 04 model, especially considering that Honda made ABS standard across the Accord line with the 03 redesign.

--18fan
    Sorry to report, 18fan.

~alpha
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Are the front seats on the XLE V6 8-way power seats? Is the driver seat lumbar power? Thanks.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The front seats in my XLE 4 cyl with leather are 8 way power, with power lumbar on the drivers seat. I assume that they are the same on the 6 cyl. It is odd that on toyota.com the description of the seats is not complete, especially since most competitors' seats have less adjustability. Even some Lexus models don't have 8 way power seats on the passenger side (like the RX330 and the GX470). Go figure.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    in the LE the wipers are intermittent... right??

but in the XLE, the wipers are VARIABLE intermittent? is that right???

thanks
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Toyota should have made abs standard across the line;to compete with the Accord,and because from a safety point it is the right thing to do. By the way, since it is a family car, side curtain air bags should also be standard. When will they get it?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Both Toyota home page and Edmunds show that LE also has VARIABLE intermittent windshield wiper.
    For reference, an 8 way power drivers seat is standard on all models, and ALL XLEs (4 and V6) get the same for the passenger side. Variable intermittent wipers are standard on all models.

Since they are more expensive, Id like to see Toyota add side-curtains as standard equipment and hold the line on pricing, and leave the ABS as the $300 option. Of course, it would be great to get both with no substantial price increase, but only time will tell if any of our wishes are granted!!

~alpha
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    what i mean by "variable" wipers is that the speed can be continuously adjusted incremetally from slow to fast-- like on my honda accord....

it seems on the LE there's an intermittent wiper selection-- but it's "fixed"-- you can't adjust how intermittant it is.

is this true? and is it different on the XLE??
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Alpha01,

In a way I am very pleased that the 04 SE V6 that my wife and I were going crazy over did not go through. After reading so many posts about the vehicle pulling, it just turned me off from the Camry line. Our Honda has been running excellent, Honda put alot of thought into this vehicle.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Our '03 LE V6 has variable-adjust intermittent wipers....

Deke
    my 02 Camry LE has speeds High and Low and anything in between. Now our '96 Rav has only slow , med and fast...nothing in between...a real pain in the but!
    L-I-S-T-E-N

The entire Camry line- since the 2002 Model Year-has VARIABLE INTERMITTENT WIPERS standard. Meaning, within the maximum parameters, you can adjust the speed of the intermittent function.

nw1997- Everything seems to happen for a reason, doesn't it? Perhaps you did luck out. I personally wouldnt hesitate to purchase an 04 SE V6, and I still prefer the car to a similarly equipped Accord. That said, the Accord is an OUTSTANDING vehicle, and I prefer most of the Accord 4 cylinder line to the Camry's competing models. (The Camry SE 4 vs. Accord EX 4 is a toss up though). Congratulations and I hope you have many many trouble free miles!

~alpha
  • 2003sev62003sev6 Member Posts: 44
    I preferred the Camry over the Accord for several reasons. I thought that the Camry drove smoother and was quieter albeit not by a large margin. I also thought that the Camry was larger inside and I love that fact that the Camry has a 60/40 split rear seat (which I have had to use several times already) instead of the tiny center pass through that you get on the Accord. IMO both these vehicles are the sweet spot in the family sedan market and you would have to spend thousands more to get an equivalent luxury family sedan.
    Well said. Your posts on this board (and the Accord thread where I am much more of an "observer") are informative, well thought out, and enjoyable. Thanks.

~alpha
  • sramuk1sramuk1 Member Posts: 1
    Well if you've seen the GM cross over vans with their nose jobs here a thought - give cars the same nose job!
    Hmmn. What the hell are you talking about?

~alpha
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmmm again - why would we want to talk about crossover vans here in the Camry sedans discussion?

Let's don't and say we did - and then move on. :-)
    Thanks for that post. I try. What do you think about Toyota coming out with a hybrid Camry?
  • teacherjimteacherjim Member Posts: 52
    I need to put new struts on my daughters 1995 Camry. I was told that I need to know if it was built in Japan or the U.S. to get the right ones.
    They said you find out by the beginning of the VIN number, if it's a 1 or 2 it was built in the U.S. or Canada and a J means Japan. My VIN starts out with 4T1SK12E4Su5...... so I don't know where it was built. Could someone please help me out?. Thanks
    No problem. Your Camry was built in the U.S. at the Kentucky plant. Canada does not build the Camry, only the Camry Solara from model year 1999-2003.
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Why are Camry 5 speeds so hard to come by? It seems like the Accords sell 25% 5 speeds, and Camrys only 1%. Is that right?
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    are you talking about manual shift 5 speed?
    all the new v6 camry has 5 speed now.
    sell nowhere near 25% manuals. Still, Camry manuals are less popular than Accords, and I'd guess that less than 5% of all Camrys sold per model year are 5Ms.

~alpha
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I'd say that their are more manual Accords sold than Camry because Honda appeals more to the enthusiast crowd that enjoys driving - perhaps the reason the Accords ride stiffer and transmit more noise. Hondas are always described as having a good, enjoyable driving experience. In general, Toyota appeals more to the general population (driving is a chore, and they want comfort more than the driving experience). I believe this is why the Accord sells more manuals than the Camry. Also, this is why the Honda sites in Edmunds are more popular than Toyota, even though Toyota sells more - Edmunds attracts more enthusiasts than the normal population. Just my opinion, of course!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The manual tranny is available in dx lx and ex trim for the Accord. On the Camry the manual is only available on the bottom of the line model (was ce - now that is the le). Believe it or not some people want features and a manual tranny, and are not just looking to skimp on everything.
    Correction. The manual tranny can be had on the SE 4cyl model as well.
  • ztulztul Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 4 cylinder Camry.. Dealer says that rear wheel brakes HAVE TO be manualy adjusted by hand.. I thought that all rear wheel brakes were now self adjusting. Dealer wants 80 dollars for normal brake checking and the adjustment.. I have no problems with the brakes. Please advise..Ed
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Sounds like a brake service job. I have it done every 1-1/2 to 2 years. It improves the effectiveness of the brakes and (in my oponion) prolongs the life of the breaks.
  • davidldavidl Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone.

I posted a question on the problems forum about my chair squeak. Are there any other issues concerning my trim that I should heed? It seems like some of you may know of common problems with the V6 SE. So far, it's just the chair squeak for me. I haven't noticed the pulling left problem for example.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Your parking brake most likely adjusts the rear brakes when you apply it. Many(all?) Toyotas are like this, although the owner's manual does not state it, I found it in the service manual. What the dealer may be saying is that sometimes the adjuster does not do it's work. My 89 Camry has had the rear brakes manually adjusted twice so far in 212,000 miles. Otherwise the parking brake method has worked.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ....of the reasons why a handbrake (or the equivalent footbrake) needs to be routinely used. Most people don't bother to use it, and thus over years, the mechanism can freeze in place, and prevent automatic adjustment of the rear drum brake shoes.
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I'm about to buy a 2004 Camry SE 4 Cyl in TX. I've just run into a new twist. It appears that Toyota dealers in the Dallas-FT. Worth area require the buyers sign an arbitration agreement.

Has anyone else had to sign one of these or is my experience unique? Opinions?

- Hank2
    I'd find another dealer, and if it is a policy among Toyota dealers I'd then look to Honda? Are you sure they were not joking? Of all cars to force arbitration on they pick the Camry notorious for NOT having any problems. (sans rattles)
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    hank2,

I have to agree with andrelaplume. There was a huge story on Dateline, (News Show in the NYC Area). The undercover members of the show went to various dealerships including Honda, Toyota and Ford throughout the US. A few were found conducting the same act you were told. Please, don't get me wrong not all dealerships do these things. An honest, replicable dealership stands behind every car they sell. It sounds to me that if something goes major wrong with the vehicle that you cannot take them to court, this is baloney. You should have the right to take anyone to court if they do not stand up behind their product or service.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    This is just out. Has anyone with a Camry experienced this?
         This is from CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/09/news/international/toyota_probe.r- - eut/index.htm
    I have seen posts here on this...not sure what year though...was always surprised there was no big uproar on the board...guess there is elsewhere!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    History on this topic would suggest that the problem is with the driver, not the car. At no time has any pattern of so-called "sudden acceleration" ever been laid at any doorstep other than driver error. I don't expect anything different in this case, either.

Sometimes, the spacing between the brake and accelerator pedals on certain models can invite people to do crazy things - mashing the right pedal when it's the left they're looking for, or having a foot slip off the brake, with or without any contact with the throttle pedal. If anything else is at work in this case, it will be a first.

After the so-called "popular press" nearly ran Audi out of the American market over this issue 20+ years ago, only to find that there never was anything at work but driver carelessness, you'd think a certain caution would be at work in how these stories get reported. Guess nobody has learned anything...what a shock...

The only thing that came out of the Audi fiasco was the popularity of the so-called "transmission interlock", wherein you can't get an automatic out of Park without stepping on the brake. That, unfortunately, doesn't do much for folks who can't tell which pedal IS the brake once they're in gear.