Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• zeke20zeke20 Member Posts: 5
    I saw a 2001 5 speed Camry LE V6 at Koons Toyota Sunday night in Tyson's Corner, VA outside Washington, DC. Go to Koons.com and check the new car inventory.
  • spadespade Member Posts: 4
    Don't see any point in arguing or correcting the salesman or sales manager and even complaining to Toyota USA. It is the way they try to sell whatever they have on their lot.
    There are a lot of 5 speed 2001 Camry CE air power pkg in SoCal for $14,500 if you don't mind 4 cylinder.
    Saw a Solara 5 speed air power pkg for $15,800 also.
    Go with automatic so you can enjoy your coffee or french fries during driving.
    +
    Close a deal today, new 2001 Camry CE, 4-cylinder, auto, air and power pkg, CD/cassette, floor mats, pinstrip, scothguard and wheel side moldings total $16,800 plus tax lic less $1k rebate totaling about $17,500 outdoor with 7.99% interest from TMCC [toy mtr credit corp]. Reasonable price?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    By "bottoming out," I take it you mean the underside of the car is scraping the ground?

The problem is the Camry is built low to the ground; it's easy to scrape the front underside on transitions from the street to ramps or driveways. Also you have to pull carefully into parking spaces with the curb-type barriers.

In the rear, the tailpipe can scrape, or even the main structural rails ahead of the rear wheels, this last if you drop down from concrete garage floor to a gravel driveway.

There isn't really anything that can be done about it, except getting larger wheels or tires, but that could cause other problems, like a speedometer that no longer reads correctly.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    We agree (christawood) my brother's 97 LE camry bottoms out easily, over speed bumps or turns over curbs plus if you have heavy load it will bottom out,hes been really happy with his camry , its a 97' le with gold package alloy wheels and spoiler with high gloss black paint, the paints soo shiny but tends to get dirty within one or two days after a washing. The motor is a 2.2 4cyl, its sooo quite and smooth, but acclerates a little slow after you put four or five people with a/c on or in it. it now has 81,059 miles and runs like new, but he services that sucker soo much like the auto tranny fluid and everything every 15,000. its been a good car and it is mostly now driven freeway miles all together 188 per day, its great, i encourage you all to buy a toyota camry or let alone corolla...thanks..inform me on your camry's too...
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Yeah, My '99 Camry bottoms out too! It's a horrible experiance. I lent it to my friend's daughter to take her driving test. She bottomed out during the test pulling out of the place. Luckily she didn't fail. Just go really slow over bumps, and pulling in and out and you should be fine. I also found that you bottom out if you pull out of a driveway that has a storm "curve" build in. That's the worst. Well good luck with your bottoming out problem.
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    According to the owner's manual, when the doors are unlocked using the remote transmiter the dome light is supposed to come on and stay lit for 15 seconds. This is obviously a good safety feature, especially for women parking in secluded places.

This feature seems to be missing or not working on my 2001 Camry LE. I talked to the dealer about the problem and he said only certain models with security options have it. The manual does not state this as an option.

Is he telling the truth, or is it a problem with the car. Please let me know based on your experiences.
  • amz997amz997 Member Posts: 61
    Should I get extended warranty for my 2001 Accord EX?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • chipperrrrrchipperrrrr Member Posts: 29
    I wonder if any camry owners are experiencing the same vibration problem as with my 96 4cyl LE. When waiting at a red light or sitting in drive with the foot on the brake, my camry seems to exhibit an excessive amount of vibration and engine noise. Its especially exascerbated when turning on the air conditioning. I have spoken to my local mechanic and he said that over time that the fuel injection system "cokes up" which over time will lead to the vibration problem. He said that the computer system can compensate for a time, but with increased mileage, the vibration will ensue. The car has 65K on it and other wise is great. I have thought that changing the belts might just do the trick but I don*t know. I have had the timing belt changed 10000 miles ago and have ruled that out. Do any other camry owners share this excessive noise and vibration issue. Please advise. thank you. Also, does anyone know where we can get a peek at the new 2002. I tried the mag-x website but couldn*t seem to connect. Thanks.
  • oh3007oh3007 Member Posts: 2
    Been trying to decide between a Honda accord or Toyota Camry. Any opinions about these two choices or other ideas would be welcomed.
  • netbid99netbid99 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, it's normal. I talked to my dealer last year, and the AC problem (vibrations) was actually a well known problem. Your dealership should have an official record/fix. You can fix the problem, but it's $$$ (and it is not covered by extended warranties). I think it's a design problem, and you have to replace a few parts ... something like that ... sorry, I forgot details ...
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    I don't drive my '96 very much anymore, but it has 110K on it. I'll try to remember what happened, OK here goes. Two possibilities.

1. TIMING BELT
    I had my timing belt changed and it made this intermittent vibration/rattling noise. I told the dealership it could be the timing belt. They laughed it off and sent me on my way because I am not a Toyota Technician. So, 30,000 miles or so later and I still have a vibration/intermittent rattling noise. I go to the dealer fed up and tell them to open up the timing belt and check if it's loose. They tell me it'll cost me, I said who cares. They open it up adn lo and behold, it was loose. They were embarassed and didn't charge me for it.

2. AC CLUTCH
    Like the previous writer said, it'll cost you. Just live with the minor AC noise and save yourself some money. My Camry has a ta-ta-ta-ta-ta... sound when the AC compressor kicks in.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to read through the messages in a discussion on our Sedans Comparisons Board at this link: Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry. There are other comparison topics that may interest you as well - take a look at the discussion list here to check them out.

Good luck, and welcome to Town Hall.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • msnerdmsnerd Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

I would just like to confirm that the 4 cyl 97 and 98 Camry can use 87 octane gas. I read that the V6 should use 93 octane, but I would like to know what is needed for the 4 cyl. Thanks!
    Only requires 87 octane gas. I think this is true for all other years as well, including 2001.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    One of the reasons the current Camry ('97-01) bottoms out,is that it has a well in the trunk to accommodate a full spare tire. I had a blowout this weekend while driving my '97 Camry on a out of town trip. I was very thankful to have a full size spare as I went ahead to my destination, after changing the flat. With a "bicycle" spare, I would have had to find the nearest tire store and have a new tire put on. Those "bicycle" spare will only get you down the road a few miles and you cannot drive (safely) over 50 mph!

So its a tradeoff, with the low trunk, but I think it is well worth it!
  • paulelapaulela Member Posts: 3
    My Wife fell in love with a lease return Camry 99LE V6. It has ABS,Trac-control,CD,brand new Michelins and the car is in exellent shape.My only concern is the mileage, 59,000.Must be highway miles for sure and the car drives much better than the new 01 Camry 4cyl with 0 miles we test drove. I can get the 99 for 15k, would love to get some advise/comments.
  • guevinjguevinj Member Posts: 15
    I think this is strange. I have a 1998 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. My roommate drives a 1998 Lexus ES300. According to the owner's manuals, both cars have 18.5 gallon fuel tanks. When I fill my Camry from 1/2 tank, it takes about 9 gallons, which seems right. When my roommate fills his Lexus from the same point, it takes only 7 gallons. He has tested this repeatedly, and the pump always shuts off at 7 gallons when filling from 1/2 a tank. The most gas the Lexus has ever taken was 15 gallons from the empty mark (after the low fuel light had been on for awhile). My Camry has taken almost 17 gallons when the low fuel light came on. I would have thought that since the Camry and Lexus share some parts, that the fuel tanks would be exactly the same. Does anyone know if in fact the tanks are different? Maybe a different shape? Is the Lexus' gas gauge calibrated differently than the Camry's? It discourages me to know that it's costing me more for gas from the same point on the gas gauge when we have the same size gas tank! Anyone have an explanation for this??
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i assume you're getting better gas mileage-- so how is it costing you more? explain that one, pal. usually when the pump shuts off, you can squeeze more gas into the tank-- maybe another half to full gallon. i hope you're not the type who puts the nozzle into the filler tube, pump the gas while you smoke a cigarette, then as soon as it shuts off automatically, you don't squeeze in some more gas. you need to pump gas like you're drinking brim coffee-- fill it to the rim. don't worry about the snob driving the lexus.
    I have a '99 Camry LE. It's an automatic and today when I went to shift the plastic right by the shifter fell down in. I preceded to shift and the shifter dragged the plastic up with it. Now When I look down at the shift I can't even tell what gear I'm in (The red indicator is also gone) I saw that it looked like it could be glued but the piece of plastic is stuck in there Should I try to take it out or call the Toyota dealer?
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Take it back to Toyota. Your camry should still be under warranty unless you have over 36,000 mi. Take advantage of your warranty as long as you can!
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The Camry is made in Georgetown, KY and the Lexus is made in Japan. What makes you think they share the same parts?

There is probably a difference in the gauge, and when the low fuel light comes on. In other words, when your light comes on you may have only 2 gallons left while in the Lexus there may be 4 left. My wife's Camry low fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank, while my pickup comes on right at the empty mark. Both tanks hold 16 gallons, so 14 goes in mine and 12 goes in hers.

In any event, when you need gas you need gas. What difference does it make what the gauge says and why do you think you're being cheated?
  • weathermanbob1weathermanbob1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello, My name is Bob Clarke I own a 99 V6 auto. It was 2 year sold last month and I have 48000 miles on it. This is one great car! I love it. I always wanted a Camry and have not been disappointed with it at all. The V6 is great Powerful and smooth. The transmission continues to shift smoothly even though I don't baby the car. I accelerate swiftly the majority of the time. This car just beggs you to use the engine. I have had no problems at all for the last 25k miles. the transmission actually shifts better than it did at 30k. I haven't even had any minor problems since the seat belt retracter was replaced around 20 I because it was rattling. One of the things even though minor is that i think the floor mats leave alot to be desired the carpet just does'nt hold up very well. I have heard on this site that the ones for the Lexes are much better and should fit. I highly reccomend, especially for the V6, is to use fuel system cleaners at least every 6 k miles. And keep your cars clean and waxed. Happy motoring Bob
    I had the same problem on my '97 Camry. I'd second the advice to take it back to the dealer if the car's still under warranty.

Mine wasn't at the time. I managed to extract the flimsy plastic strip and get it back into place (no glue needed). There's a minor rip still visible, but I haven't had any further problems.

Still, it was a pain to do, and you have to take off the top of the shift lever. Once the top comes off, you have to make sure you don't lose the little spring and other small parts that can fly out.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    To all the readers out there... I have a 2000 Camry CE 4cyl. My problem is that I need to sale it but it's on a 5 year lease. I think I owe around $17,000. Only because of recent financial situations am I selling it. Would I be able to sell this car and break even? It only has 3,800mi. on it and has the following: auto., cruise cont., am/fm/cass/cd, power windows, power mirrors, power locks. I think I can get out of my lease if I sell it out right but I'm not sure if I can break even. Any suggestions?
    Thanks! I did call the Toyota dealer and they are going to repair it tomorrow. I didn't want to hamper with it and make it worse. Boy is it a pain to shift when that plastic gets in the way.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    These are going for $15,900 to $16,900 new. You will be hard pressed to sell for above $15,000.
    Hard news but being straigth with you. Private sale is your only hope. Heck I have seen LE's going for near $17,000 here at the end of the 5 year design. It may be cheaper to keep the car and sell in a year for $14,500,then to take a hit.
    INKY
  • willyhowillyho Member Posts: 9
    I've seen some local (Delaware/Philly) ads showing a $900 college grad rebate, but I've been getting conflicting information. Does anyone know on what models this would apply and what the eligiblility requirements are? Thanks!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    In the Central Atlantic Region (which includes DE), there is a $900 rebate on ANY new Toyota for recent college gads. There are a few stipulations. First, you must have documentation of a degree (either 2 or 4 year) within the last 24 month, or you must be able to show that you are less them 6 month away from graduation. You must also finance with Toyota Financial Services. There are no restrictions on models. This program is good through the end of June.
  • taurus69taurus69 Member Posts: 5
    I owned an 87' Taurus from DEC 97 until DEC 2000 and I have to tell someone about what a terrific car it was. I bought it for a lousy 1200 dollars Canadian when I was sixteen at 270 000 km. I treated the car like a typical teenager, constantly peeling out, reverse 180's and playing bumper tag with friends. Other then needing to replace the heater core, this high mileage car never needed repair, and survived the torture I put it through. I was forced to give it up when the tranny went but now I am in the market for a new Taurus. What kind of moron would opt for an Accord or Camary over a Taurus, especially when a Taurus is available with such beefy motors such as the 3.8. I would like to recommend a Taurus to anyone in the market for a mid sized sedan.
    so you found a decent taurus, eh?....congrats.... ever hear the one about the blind squirrel?
  • audreyleaudreyle Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I just bought a 2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 with VL package three months ago, and I already have had problems with it. Around 1000 miles, the engine warning light came on, and so I took it to the dealership service center. They had to replace the defective charcoal canister. Now it's in the shop again (currently around 2000 miles) because again the engine warning light came on. I am wondering if people out there have encountered the same problem?

I'm so disappointed that this is happening. The reason I bought a camry is because of all the raving about its reliability, but compared to the length of time that I have this car to that of my 1987 Ford Mustang, I have more problems with it than my 1987 Ford.

Anyhow, there is a Lemon Law in Maryland in which it states that if the car under warrantee is defective and cannot be fixed after three times that you can return it and get another one (or something similar to this effect). Has anyone done that?

Many thanks to all comments/advices...

-Audrey
    you stated you're haveing problemS with your camry--actually, you're having A problem (singular) with your camry-- the check engine light comes on. so give em a chance to fix it-- it might take a few visits-- you didn't say that the camry wasn't firing on all cylinders, or that it was rough riding.... all you said was the light came on, so i am assuming the engine is running fine otherwise. so be patient, pal.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Well, I own a 92 SE and I would not purchase another Toyota. Primarily because nothing in the line gets me. BLAH! The Camry basic design started with my 92 and "HAS NOT CHANGED" The engine is the same old tired 3.0 L V6 from 92 with a few mods but it has not kept pace with the competition. Maxima V6 blows it away. They have stood still technologically!!!!!

The Kentucky built versions (mine was Japanese) are not built as well and not as durable and the competition has made great strides while Toyota has rested on past glories.

Sorry, I truly love my Camry at 134,000 miles but I am convinced that a current Camry V6 would never make it as long or as far as the one I have!
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    I have new 2001 model, 15 inche wheels, I did notice underneath vehicle that the exhaust appears rather low. Almost like it is not for this model, maybe to save money?

I have to check the LS 300 and see if they have similar problems.

So, far have not bottomed out. I had a vette and other low riding cars before.

Another thought is that the lower the more aero and better MPG
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    First of all, the Camry has changed since 1992. The 1997 model was a total remake, as will be the 2002. Your comments indicate you know very little about this car.

Second, the car is supposed to be somewhat blah. That is how the target likes it. There is a reason the car has been the best seller for four years in a row -- people like it! I've ever seen Maxima sales come close to the Camry.

Third, the engine is not tired and old. It is a great engine. Look at BMW; their engines date back to the 1970s!

Fourth, where is the proof that Kentucky built Camrys are not as good as Japanese-made ones? This is simply not true -- these cars are among the best-built anywhere regardless of price.

Fifth, a current Camry would be just as good as yours.

You may not like something about the Camry, but do not put it down. It is ideal for the people who buy it, and again it's a great car.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    Previous model year Camrys, Avalons, Lexus ES300 have a bend in the exhaust pipe, where the bend (almost looks like an elbow) is towards the road. It is very obvious when driving behind one of these models. I have seen this mentioned in a few reviews in the past, and comments were that it made the cars look cheap, unfinished. One also mentioned that if you took the bend into account, you'd have to lower the ground clearance number from what was published (I recall it was about an inch or so). There was no explanation, engineering, safety or styling, given for why Toyota did this. I do not see as prominent a bend in the 2000+. I have a 2001 Avalon, and it was one of the criteria I making a purchase decision (ground clearance). There are other cars with similar/same symptom, e.g. an Acura 3.2 TL.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    do NOT buy a Ford Taurus!!! I owned a 1990 Ford Taurus and it was the WORST CAR EVER! The brakes went out on me in traffic, got the transmission rebuilt twice, engine replaced, and seals were leaky and broken all the time. Fords are the biggest POS. Take your chance with a Toyota. 19 out of 20 will be trouble free. 19/20 Fords will break down and leave you stranded multiple times (like me!)
    FORD: Found On Roadside Dead
    Fix Or Repair DAily
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    i Can't believe somebody is saying that Camry V6 is tired !! It is one of the smoothest & most refioned engines found in any car in the market. They are using it in Camry V6, ES300, RX300, Avalon & these cars are termed as themost refined, durable & QUITE as hell. Even the 4 banger is so quite. It is a model of refinement.

Kentucky plant got an industry award for build quality & construction process(less time per car & the best quality too!!). Sop it is just insane if somebody says japan built camrys are better than ketuckey built. From my own experience, I have a japan made 2000 SE & my friends have 2001 EX (L4s). The built quality is identical.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    reliable my a**, my parents bought one and it was fine till the warranty ended. then suddenly, the car just failed. my friends 1990 Taurus wagon was teh same. computers/HVAC/transmission, it seemed as tho every part in the car failed at least once. 3 fords in a row have been unreliable POS and we will NEVER buy another. we are currently enjoying our reliable 2000 maxima, no problems yet (knocking on wood). the taurus doesnt come close to the camry in refinement, build quality or reliability.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    has anyone seen the new 2002 models? Apparently there's going to be a major redesign (AT LAST!) and a 220hp 3.0L V6...
  • jdarcyjdarcy Member Posts: 8
    My neighbor has an '88 3.0L, my aunt a '90 3.0, and my dad a '97 3.0 Duratec 200HP. All the derogatory F.O.R.D. acrynyms apply to the '96 and older Taurus and Sable models. My Dad's '97 has 75,000 mi. ( 120,000 km. ) and has been reliable so far. It sure is thirsty compared to my 2001 4 cyl. Camry at only 19 MPG.
    They can't be first on race day when found on road dead!!!
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Production on the 2002 model should begin in a couple of weeks, about a month ahead of schedule. The rear looks very similar to the current '01 Avalon, but with the backup lights in the center of the tail light instead of the trunk lid. The front is sleeker, with headlights something like the Lexus IS300. My take is that it is a little larger, but I don't have any specs on it. The interior is very nice, a little jazzier than the earlier models. The sticker price will be about $230 less than last year.

I saw two different dash configurations. The first was with a beige or eggshell background, black markings, and with the tach and speedometer seeming to be in the same group. The other (more recent) was the standard dark background with orange markings, like the current Camry.

Sienna, Camry, and Avalon share the same basic engine. They can 'tweak' various performance items to modify horsepower. The current Sienna is 215 ponies, so I would think that the Camry would be in about that range, but there is plenty of power in the current V6. I have a '91 with a 154 horse engine and it runs just fine, very smooth and no problems accelerating onto the expressway.

Model changes at Toyota are roughly every 6 years.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    whered u get all that info? ive only seen heavily camoflauged property...
  • chrisatwoodchrisatwood Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me when you are supposed to use the overdrive on a Camry V4 (automatic) and when you're supposed to turn it off? The owner's manual says nothing on the subject. I'm guessing that since the dash light comes on when you turn it off, that it's supposed to be on most of the time, but my friend says the opposite. Help!
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    Keep it on all the time unless your car is loaded with 5 people and you are going up hill. Turning the overdrive off your car will run stronger but
    it will suck more gas also. BM
  • froto25froto25 Member Posts: 14
    The left signal has started blinking very fast on my 98 Camry v6 XLE. The fast blinking only occurs when the headlights or fog lights are on. I have looked for a burnt out bulb, but found none. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Thanks.
  • chrisatwoodchrisatwood Member Posts: 6
    I noticed this same thing on a used Camry I was buying - the dealer said it was a fuse or "blinker" of some sort that can burn out - it took him two minutes to replace it and now the blinker is the same speed on both sides. I'm not sure what the exact part is, though.
  • orman1orman1 Member Posts: 7
    it happened on my 97 shortly after I bought it too. Thought it was the flasher, unplugged and inspected it---fine. Reseating the connectors for the turn signals fixed the problem. None of the lights were burned out. Try unplugging and plugging back in the connectors at the turn signal lamps.
  • ilene2ilene2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am a new owner of a Toyota Camry. It has side impact bags, too. Ever since I bought it and started driving it and riding in it, I've had horrible back aches. Does anyone else experience the same thing? Any solutions?