Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'm taking the Highlander in for an oil change next Friday. My salesman will let me take any car on the lot for a "test drive" while the oil is being changed. I had one last fall for about 30 min and didn't notice anything. I'm "vertically challenged" so the short seat cushions are not a problem for me.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    I have a 1993 Camry XLE, and it seems that my headlights aren't shining as far as they use to be. I already replaced the bulbs, but it only made the road 20 feet in front on be brighter, which leads me to believe that the headlights need to be re-aimed. Does anyone know how to do it?
  • glavinsologlavinsolo Member Posts: 12
    "The 6th generation Camry should make its debut in the Summer of 2006, 16-18 months from now."

Where do you base your information from? Many have said that the new redesign will follow Accords sporty look to attract younger buyers and push the current market to Avalons and Lexus sedans. However time will tell. I hope you are right because waiting over a year to buy a new camry after a redesign just might be what I do. However, I think they could use it now along with upping the standard features to match that of Malibu's feature laden LT model.

-Glavinsolo
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Toyota and Honda are both on 5-year model cycles right now for the mainstream cars like the Accord, Camry, Corolla, Civic, etc. So you do the math...when did the current body style of the Camry debut? Add 5 model years, and you have your answer.
  • rickrettrickrett Member Posts: 2
    I was all set to buy a Camry until I started reading thorugh the posts here :-) What do you people think is the best car/deal combination right now?

I like the Camry over the Accord just because it seems like I have a more flexible set of options.
  • newsedan2005newsedan2005 Member Posts: 5
    Im looking to buy SE v6 2005 with premium pkg.
    It says it has xm satillite enabled radio.
    My question is If I dont enable this does the normal radio works? please respond asap
  • glavinsologlavinsolo Member Posts: 12
    The satellite radio is independent from the regular AM/FM radio. The XM is treated as an attachment to your stereo through a special connection in the back similar to a Trunk disc changer. So if you were to not pay for the service nothing would change just when you select XM on your radio nothing happens.

I hope that helps.
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    By this time next year my guess is that we will see a new redesigned 07 Camry. Toyota has not uttered a word on it, but it's not that hard to figure it out. Average Toyota model line is 5 years. The current model was introduced in 02, so it's like clockwork. I'm speculating that it will look somewhat like the 06 Avalon or the current Lexus ES330 (both of these designs are boring and too bulky).

Another observation I like to point out is that with every new model the Camry (Accord and other cars as well) keeps getting bigger and bigger, and at some point it has to stop, and probably on the 07 Camry. The current model is big enough already and I don't know if I'd like it any bigger. The next trend /cutting edge in engineering design is how to make car smaller on the outside and roomier on the inside. The new Volvo S40 is an example and the pioneer of this engineering philosophy. I think the rest of the automotive industry will catch up and lean toward that trend. If not can you imagine seeing your next Corolla get as big as the 06 Avalon or your current Camry as big as a Limo or close to it . . . in 20 years?
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 95 toyota camry.Everytime i step on the
    brake i feel a strong vibration on a brake pedal
    i dont know if its normal or not.Any idea guys?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The 3.5L V6 engine will be available for the next generation Camry and chances are so will be a hybrid.
    This means the rotors are warped. They need to be replaced, or "turned" on a milling machine, if there is enough thickness left to justify it.

This is a common problem with many cars. Make sure that after the brakes are done, that the shop torques the wheel bolts using a torque wrench, not an air gun, and that all bolts are correctly tightened. Overtightening, and/or uneven tightening, is one way warpage can occur in any car. Simple overheating of the brakes is another possible cause. In any case, you need to get the rotors seen to asap.
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    How much do you think it will cost me?
    I have practically no idea - haven't had this done to any of our cars in ages. With new pads, I could see it anywhere from $150-$350, depending on who does it and what parts they use.
  • lilabnerlilabner Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2005 Camry LE (4cyl, AT, Salsa Red) for $15,999 - wheee! A "loss leader" from Mossy Toyota here in San Diego. My wife and I are VERY happy!

I found in the Owner's Manual how to reprogram the door locks, so they do NOT lock when you put the tranny in R or D, and do not unlock when you put it in Park. Call me old-fashioned, but Ijust never liked those features - would rather have the door locks do what I said, when I said. (Else why do they have those handy switches on the armrest and on the key fob?)

Also found the section where it described the power windows. In Mode A, you can push the switch all the way down and release it, and the window will keep going down until it's fully open. But it won't go all the up if you push the switch all the way up and release. You have to HOLD the switch up until the window is fully closed.

In Mode B, the manual says, you can make the window go all the way down OR UP if you push the switch all the way down or up and release.

But I can't find anywhere in the manual where it says how to change from Mode A to Mode B for the power windows. Mine is in Mode A - it will go down all the way without my babysitting it, but will not go up all the way unless I continually hold the switch UP.

Anyone know how to make the driver's window go up all the way, with just a quick press and release of the switch? My 2004 Sienna LE will do this. Why not this 2005 Camry LE?
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 XLE and my window goes up automatically. I'm fairly certain that only the XLE's have the auto up feature. If you look at this page, http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/camry/models.html and select the Interior tab, I believe it confirms my hunch.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    On the power windows, I believe the auto-up feature is only available on XLE models for the Camry.
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    After we proudly pulled our just-purchased Camry LE with side airbags into our garage, I remembered that these new stock tires, the Goodyear Integrity model, were a different make than the Continental stock tires reviewed by Consumer Reports as part of their Camry review--and not reviewed as being particularly good, at that. Many previous posts here have complained about the Continentals. Evidentally, most new four cylinder Camrys now come with Goodyear Integrity tires.

I looked up the Goodyear Integrity reviews at TireRack.com and one other site, expecting good things. However, this current Camry LE stock tire is universally hated, with many hyproplaning complaints! Since we bought our Camry with side airbags for safety, I immediatlely traded in these tires locally and paid a $172 difference for new Kumho 716 tires. These well-priced tires are rated by literally hundreds of buyers as tops and make our new car even quieter. With the torrential Florida rains we've again had this week, we sure are happy we immediately switched to a much better rated tire. Something to consider when you budget for your new car.
    Unlike Honda, Toyota has a habit of using many tire makers for individual models. At any given time on a large dealer's lot, you'll see Camrys with Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Continental tires. Only the Michelins would stay on any car of mine.

Have to admit to some amusement to your initial reaction that GY Integritys would somehow be better than the Contis - lots of manufacturers use these tires as OEM, but they have only one virtue - they're inexpensive for the car makers to buy.

Honda tends to settle on one or two tires for any given model in their line, and equip every car with the same tires. Lots of people complain about the Mich MXV4s that are OEM on most Accords, but these are far superior to just about everything that Toyota uses on Camrys.
  • camryxcamryx Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and wasn't about to live with it or sell the car and take the depreciation hit.

I pulled off the back panel on the from seat (no tools needed, just pull hard from the top).

You're now looking at the 'innards' of the front seat back.

I positioned 2 steel rods vertically and then used nylon cinch cables to draw the springs, lumbar mechanism, etc away from the seat and toward the steel rods. The tension holds the rods in place. Make sure the lumbar is all the way off and don't press the lumbar button otherwise you'll either burn out the lumbar motor or break the nylon cables. All of this is completely reversible. It took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing.
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    Yep, on my other car, a 2000 BMW 323ci, the stock tires were the same that the Accord and several others use, the Michelin MXV4s that you mention. I agree that they are much better than any of the tires on the four cylinder Camrys and the TireRack.com reviews seem the bear that out, too. My Michelins now have 53,000 miles and I asked the tire shop that installed the Kumho 716s on my new Camry what he recommended for their replacement. He said his Mercedes also came with the same Michelins and he replaced with the Kumho 716s, finding a much more responsive and pleasing tire. So, we'll likely be a two car Kumho family soon. The Michelins are pretty good and seem to have long tread life in our experience, but I'd rate their hydroplaning resistance as being pretty good, but not great, or confidence-inducing in a Florida storm. The knock on the Kumho 716s seems to be that they don't last much past 50,000 miles but that's ok with me.
    The Toyota website advertises the radio as having "XM satellite radio capability" which it describes thus: "Functioning XM Satellite Radio requires XM Satellite Radio capacity, XM Satellite Radio receiver + satellite monthly service fee."

So what is required to take advantage of the capability?
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Sounds like you'll need the receiver and an annual subscription.

As it reads to me, the radio is set up to have a receiver added, but Toyota doesn't supply it.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Want to get rid of the cats? Put catnip on someone else's car.
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    Michelin MXV are quiet, good wet traction, maintenance free, and last as long as 80K miles.

In those criteria, I found the MXV far superior to Dunlop and Bridgestone Potenza in the same Camry we had.
    Anyone been on the plant tour? I'm going Monday.

Have just agreed to lease a new SE-V6 which I hope to pick up late next week.
  • mi_satmi_sat Member Posts: 42
    I'm surprised your post didn't receive more "chatter." I am presently considering a purchase of either an Accord EX-V6 or a Camry XLE-V6 in November 2005.

Based upon the posts I've seen here and in the Accord forum, it appears that Camry will have a major refresh in 2006 (not sure when) as a 2007 MY, while the Accord will be about one year behind that timing.

I plan on keeping the car for a long time, but I hate the idea of buying something for $25k when it will (potentially) be significantly restyled/recontented in a year or two. Yes, I realize that I will experience a refresh if I hold onto the vehicle for 7 years, but it irks me that I may be giving up significant improvements just 12 months from purchase.

Do you have any more clarification on timing of Camry's refresh? I haven't seen any media speculation on a major Camry refresh for the timing you indicate, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I guess.

Do you have any thoughts on my concern of buying a vehicle one year before refresh? Am I being irrational?

Thanks.
    Also, the 07 V6 Camry will get the powerful 3.5L engine from the Avalon. That is a good enough reason to wait. Judging by all the reviews, that is one heck of an engine
  • camryxcamryx Member Posts: 2
    Sit in the back seat and pull the back panel of the front driver's seat with both hands. It will come off from the top. Next, pull the steel bar that they used for the lumbar support toward you slowly. It's soft steel and it will bend and bow toward the rear of the car. This will create more space between your back and the lumbar rod.
    Not that I'm doubting you, but can you tell me your source?
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    remember first year models usually have some issues, like rattles..2002 camry had many but most were fixed by 2003. The camry just got a refresh a year ago with new grill, headlights, tailights and interior improvements, so you won't be getting the same camry that was released in 2002.

I bought mine in 2003, I plan on keeping it for at least 7 years and I might be in a similiar situation as you're in now. By 2010, the next generation will be in its 5th year I think.
    Good points.

I am a little concerned about the current Camry. I test drove the XLE V6 the other day, and I noticed a short "lag" when I stepped on the accelerator before it actually accelerated. The other issue was that the steering was so light, that I could barely feel the road. (Reminded me of those kids' toys with a steering wheel that spins around and around with no resistance.)

Was hoping the new Camry would address the issue. Else, I'll be stepping into an Accord, which I test drove and liked as well.

The Camry has more standard features that I really like, but the Accord drove better in my opinion.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I have seen nothing to support the contention that the new Camry will come out in spring 2006. My guess is that it will come out in the fall of 2006 instead.

It probably won't be revamped as much as the 2002 model, just as the 1997 model used the same basic platform as the 1992 model. This was very obvious from looking at the underbodies of the 1992 cars vs. the 1997 models.

However, if you're interested in the V6 model, it might be worth waiting for the new 3.5-liter V6. If you're going with the 4-cylinder, you may not want to wait, unless styling differences are important to you.
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?artid=37606

This bodes well for the next-generation Camry, however, as it is slated to be built on a variation of the new Avalon's chassis architecture, and from what I've been told, feature a version of the powerful new 3.5-litre V6 in its top trim level.

Read the bottom part of page 4 of this Avalon review.
    Thanks for the info.

If a vehicle were to debut in Spring 2006, when would a manufacturer begin to show it (e.g. at an auto show, etc.)?

We're 12 months away from Spring 2006 and I've only "heard" what you've posted above.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I believe the speculation regarding the arrival of the next generation Camry surrounds the launch of the 2007 Lexus ES350, which many Lexus dealer management teams have been told will be out in mid Spring 2006. Given that the two share platforms, it would make sense for a new Camry to debut around that time.

While it is true that the 2007 redesign will be more along the lines of the 1997 makeover, I suspect more substantial changes will be made for the 2007 vehicle vs. the 2002-2006 than were made for the 1997 Camry vs. 1992-1996. The marketplace is much more competitive this time around, and Toyota needs to recognize that said competition is providing more car. I expect the 4 cylinder will feature the enhanced VVT system that includes variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust sides, which would reap benefits in power and efficiency. Toyota has moved its new V6 family to this technology (the Avalon's 3.5L, the GS300's 3.0L, etc) already. In my opinion, Toyota needs to get the 4 cylinder model in the range of 170-180hp (with static or better fuel economy) to remain competitive for the next 5 years.

The V6 (3.0L, 210 hp unit) of the current car will be joining the old 2.2L in the anals of Camry engine history. That said, it remains to be seen whether the new V6 family will show up in the 3.0L or 3.5L sizing, because at this point, its all speculation. Me personally, I'd like to see the LE and XLE V6s use the 245 hp 3.0L V6 and the SE trim use the Avalon's 280hp 3.5L. But that might be a bit complex for TMMK.

I would also expect a significantly upgraded interior design (re: center stack), as well as the addition of side curtain airbags as standard (if this doesnt happen for the 2006 model year). Given the Camry's current size, I dont think we will see much of an increase, especially now that the Avalon is in a great position as Toyota's clearly defined and luxurious flagship.

Should be interesting.

~alpha
    Toyota has never shown a Next-Gen Camry or Corolla at an Auto Show, though this doesnt necessarily mean it can't happen.

~alpha
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Even if it were true that the 2007 ES comes out in spring of 2006, that does not mean the Camry would debut at "about the same time."

Lexus might want the ES350 to have several months of exclusivity to help differentiate it from the Camry.
    You're right, Lexus may want that. Or, since the Camry is the nations best selling vehicle and Toyota isnt very likely to willingly relinquish this crown, the two may also be introduced around the same time, just as its been for the last three generations.

~alpha
    http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2006fvf/index22.html

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2007fvf/index11.html

This is what I found in MotorTrend's "Future Vehicle Forecast" . Looks like the only change for MY 06 is the addition of a hybrid Camry. For 07, as expected, a complete redesign. That is when the 3.5L V6 will most likely be available. I am also guessing that the 4 cylinder model might also get a modest 10 to 15 Hp boost to keep up with the competition. Doesn't mention anything about a Spring 2006 release, although it is possible. Toyota generally is very tight lipped about upcoming products
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I would think all V6 models will get 3.3L (not 3.5L). Since if Toyota moves to 3.5L engine, what happens to over-stock of 3.3L ?
    "I would think all V6 models will get 3.3L (not 3.5L). Since if Toyota moves to 3.5L engine, what happens to over-stock of 3.3L?"

I think this makes more sense. I think Toyota will limit 3.5L use to the Avalon/Lexus to differentiate them from the Camry.
    I'm not sure I understand why there would be an overstock of 3.3Ls. The 3.3L is related to the 3.0L that debuted in the 1992 Camry, and is therefore a much older design (even though the 3.3L iteration is fairly new). The new engine family that the Avalon's belongs to (2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L, and 4.0L) requires different tooling than the engines currently being used by the Camry and ES, for example, if my understanding is correct. Much how Nissan uses the VQ series to power its vehicles, I believe there will be an eventual phase out of the older 3.3Ls toward this new engine family.

Of course, I may be wrong. But given the added efficiency and power of the new family of engines, I see no competitive reason that Toyota will continue using the 3.3L and new engines concurrently for any substantial length of time. For all intents and purposes, the 3.3L was a stop-gap measure, from what I've read.

~alpha
    If we see the 3.5L in the Camry, my guess is that it will be detuned from the 280hp version in the Avalon. That would be consistent with the Nissan philosophy of putting higher hp in the higher cost models.
    On Monday, my wife and I toured the Camry/Avalon factory in Georgetown, KY. I've been in many assembly plants (though none in the last 10 years) and I was very impressed with the size and organization. The tour is extremely well done (we were on a motorized tram in the plant for 45 min with a live person narrating what was going on around us.)

A few stats: 7.5 million sq feet under roof (that's 170 acres), 7500 Toyota employees plus 2500 contract employees (cleaning & cafeteria staff, etc.) 2000 cars a day from two assembly lines running 2 shifts. They have their own stamping and plastic molding plants as well as an engine plant. A car rolls off the line every 55 seconds but it takes 26 hours to build one, 10 of those hours are the painting process.

Highly recommended if you are ever in the area. Make reservations in advance. Tours are 10, 12, & 2 M-F plus a 6 pm tour on Thursday. About 1 hr 10 min total duration.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    How do I arrange a tour?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The Visitor Center lobby and exhibits are open Monday through Friday. Tours are available Monday through Friday. All tours must be scheduled in advance. For reservations call the Toyota Tour Line at 502-868-3027 or 1-800-TMM-4485. Admission is free.

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/tour.asp
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    My Speculation? Camry LE V6/XLE V6 gets 3.3L V6 while SE V6 gets the "freakin" fast 3.5L V6. Or you get the 3.5L for both XLE & SE V6s.

I still think that it's going to be a 2007 debut. However, they could do it as a 2007 model like they did with the Sienna and introduce it early.

One day the 3.3L will be out phased and I'll own two phased-out engines. (2.2L Camry & 3.3L Sienna)

BTW, anybody know if the RX330 will become RX350? ;)
    I respect your opinion, but I dont see how/why Toyota would maintain two different engine families and the associated production costs. Its certainly possible, and if it happens, I wont exactly understand the rationale if its not explicitly stated.

The new Camry will be a 2007 model, no doubt. And from what we know, it will either be in the Spring of 2006, or in the Fall of 2006 as in generations past.

How do you like your Sienna? A good deal more spirited than the 2.2L Camry, eh?

Yes, the RX330 will become the RX350, Toyota has already patented/trademarked that name (as they have done with ES350).

~alpha
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    Is the 05 Camry wider than the 04? I parked my 04 next to an 05 and I think the 05 is wider. Just curious.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I only speculated that this since the current has 2 choice of V6s and I thought that they only moved up. Oh well.

The Sienna is much faster and peppier compared to my 1995 Camry LE i4. It's a 105 HP difference and like around 100 more lb-ft torque. However, chances that it's going to be replaced with the 3.5L V6, right?

But don't fret. I have been VERY interested with the RX and with the RX350 coming up. I'll be getting that with no doubt. 3.3L and a 3.5L ain't bad. And the 3.3L is still very peppy and the hesitation issue is very minor for me.