Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Just once I'd like to get a definitive non-biased answer. I have an 02 Camry w/30K miles still on all its original set of brakes. I have been carefull to insure the pads do not get worn down too low. I am actually amazed they have lasted this long. I am due for a tire rotaion and assuming the are anywhere near needing to be replaced I wish to do so. I am fearfull if I wait to long I will need expensive new rotors - though the dealer keeps saying brakes are not needed yet!

My question is:

1) When they do a brake job do they always cut the rotors. I am told this adds $12 to the price of the brake job.

2) Do Camry's typically need new rototr on their 1st brake job irregardless of how low you let the pads get?

I want to get the job done but was a little suspicious of remarks I heard about Camry's and Toyotas needing new rotors and dealers replacing them even when not warranted.

Educate me!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    It sounds as if your dealer is doing a pretty good job by you if they're telling you that you don't need them yet. Pads are pretty inexpensive, so it may be worth it to just have them done. Rotors don't usually have to be replaced with the first set of pads, but the sometimes do. It depends on many factors, the most common of which is if they're pitted or rusted. If this is the case, often they can't be ground down. Also, when they're ground, they usually take a good portion of the disk off during the process so it will shorten the life of the rotor. So if they say the pads look ok (not too worn or cracked) then I would let them go until they get to the point that they recommend that you change them.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...the original front brake pads on my '97 Camry lasted till 109K miles. And I didn't have to replace or resurface the rotors. YMMV.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Some mechanics recommend turning the rotors when replacing the pads though it's not a requirement. I wouldn't expect pads to need replacement at only 30K miles unless you really use the brakes hard and do mostly stop & go driving. The pads probably have wear sensors on them that give an audible warning when they need replacing. Whether the rotors can be turned or need replacing is the mechanics call based on their condition.
  • meteore01meteore01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently purchased a new 2005 Toyota Camry LE four cylinder. It has about 600 miles on it. I had a 99 Camry which got immediately about 28 miles per IMPERIAL gallon in city and about 38 miles or more on highway. NO BREAK IN PERIOD on the 99 camry was necessary to get this high fuel economy. I based my calculations in both cases on the trip odometer and IMPERIAL gallons (Canada)

The new Camry gets about 20 miles per gallon with air conditioning on in city.

They tell me the new Camry has 7 horsepower more and an Alexis five
    speed automatic transmission. There is also an aluminum block engine now.

The 2005 Camry pamphlet shows fuel consumption 28/44 which bears no resemblance to my mileage.

Could all these so called improvements cause this bad fuel economy?

In addition I noticed the suspension is not smooth over minor bumps and car bounces around.

The current car was built in USA and the 1999 one came from Japan.

Roger
    The Camry 4-cylinder's horsepower went from 133 in 1999 to 160 in 2005 on US models. I would assume Canadian models to be similar. The engine block went from cast iron to aluminum with the 2002 redesign, and displacement increased from 2.2 liters to 2.4 liters at that time.

My 2004 Camry LE with the 4-cylinder, 4-speed auto (that I just gave to my son) got stellar fuel economy: about 23 mpg in the city and 35-38 mpg (US) on long trips.

So far, my replacement 2005 Camry XLE with the 4-cylinder, 5-speed auto isn't doing as well: as low as 21 mpg in the city and only 31 mpg on long trips, with 4200 miles on the odometer so far. The cars don't differ much in weight. We'll see what happens over time.

Both the 2004 and 2005 models rode/ride quite smoothly.
    I HOPE there is a solution! I have a the 'vibration' noise in my ear periodically since I got my '02 three years ago. Of course the dealer never could hear it but offered to use tephlon lube in between the gaskets where the window goes up. Well the noise has gotten much worse and my window tops actually have a line where the goo was. I cleaned everything; even used a toothbrush to get the goo out ouf the gasket where the window goes up. The tics are now worse. There is no doubt the dealer will hear the noise this time but I do not think the goo is a solution. Note that it quiets a little if I put the window down 1/8 inch or so. It stops if push the inside of the window outwards while driving. I am due for an oil change and I dread going in because everytime I go in I have a new rattle related complaint...some of which have been corrected or at least made better.

If they do not 'hear' this one or fix it, I am having a Toyota rep come in.

If anyone has had this issue and has a DIY fix, please post as I would like to eliminate the problem on my own as opposed to multiple trips back to the dealer, dealer rep, Toyota etc. I bought the brand to avoid this nonsense!.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I was under the impression that the XLE model designated it was a 6-cylinder.

Ken :blush:
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If you have only 600 miles on your vehicle, that means what? One and a half tankfuls? You need to wait until the vehicle is truly broken in before you can start taking measure of efficiency- probably around the 2500 mark. Just relax, and give it time.

And the above post is correct- the 2.4L is a completely different engine than your 1999's, and the difference in power should be apparent. The 97-01 were quite slow, in my experience, and bordered on underpowered.

~alpha
  • chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    geez, you might not need front disc pads for at least 90K or so. I didn't change mine on my 1994 camrys till 120K or so. The rear drums were still origionals at 197K (sold it) and just gave away my other 1994 camry with 203K and it had the orig drums. as for rotors, it costs anywhere from 20 each side to 50 or so depending on manufacturer. easy to replace and I wouldn't turn any rotors. I'd toss and buy new ones. that's my 2 cents.
    just got a 2005 LE and although extremely short distance (78 miles), I got 28 MPG with a city/highway mix (mostly city). I have driven more highway (about 275 by this weekend) and I'll calculate the MPG with more of a realistic period. I bet you get 35 or more on the highway only. Hang in there. The camry will come across.
    nope. can get 4 cyl version too.
    gee, you should have owned two 1994's with 4 cyl. it was 125 HP and I had to open the door and use my foot when the AC was on going up hill. my mom has a 1998 and it's way better than the 92-96 versions.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    They were basically the same engine and I noticed almost no difference between the two. We had a 95, 97, and 00 (leases, obviously). Current is an '02 (not a lease, or the 64K miles would put us in trouble!!).

Honestly, I'd say the 95 was actually quicker, or at least, felt quicker than the 97s and 00s, which had additional emmissions equipment and weight over the Gen Three models.

Despite still not being as quick as a current generation Accord 4, the 05 Camry 4 cylinder is plenty strong, especially given its efficiency profile. (The current hits 60 1-2 seconds quicker than the Gen Four Camrys).

~alpha
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    In Canada, the XLE version is only available with a 6 cylinder for 2005 models.

Doug
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    What is the 4-cylinder XLE version? The LE Camry only has limited options when purchased :)
    Just check out www.toyota.com for specifications of the various models.
    Rotors (from Toyota add $200 to the brake job per axle...just an fyi)
    Again, it's hard to diagnose noise over the internet. Neither my 2004 or '05 Camrys have had anything like this problem.

Maybe it's time for you to give up on your Camry and get something more reliable like a Chevy! ;)
    Does the Edmunds TMV include the rebates...or do you subtract them off.

I won't even pass comment on the reliable Chevy quote.
    I was not looking for a diagnosis but rather a solution. A great number of cars share this affliction...just looking for a fix.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Won't comment on the fuel consumption - as noted, it is way too early in the life of this car to draw any conclusions.

However, since this is one of the smoothest riding cars on the planet, be sure to check your tire pressures. I'm betting they are over-inflated, as they all are for shipping. Dealers often don't set them correctly before delivering the car. Check and let us know what you find.
    My 2005 just started doing this at 3600 miles. Will be taking it in for an oil change soon and will have them look/listen for it. Our 1996 Explorer had the same noise and I never did diagnose or fix it. It was out of warranty before it started.
    Dealer has the car now....said they would lube it again....told them I think I need more than that...we'll see.

Funny, we are thinking of getting a Sienna. The shuttle car this time was a Sienna. Very nice riding and quite EXCEPT for the exact same cracles and pops....I guess it is an inheret design flaw in Toyotas.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does anyone know when the 2006 Camrys will arrive? What changes, if any, are expected?
    They should arrive any day now. There are no changes, since the redesigned 2007 model will be introduced in early 2006. Prices will increase, however, on the 2006 models, by about $150, IIRC.
    I saw a press release distributed from a news source(dated 29 July) that gave several price increases for Toyota but the Camry was not included in that list so, at least for now, there does not appear to be a price increase for the Camry.
    Wouldn't the next generation be due out in mid 2008? I bought my 02 in May 2002 and I recall I was one of the first in my area to have the 'new' model. My car was 3 year old this may, (5/05) If the new gen comes out every 5 years then I'd expect to see the next new gen Camry very late 07 at the earliest...no?
    Toyota has in the past redesigned the Camry every 5 years. The current model, as you have correctly stated, started in 2002. That would make a new model start with the 2007 model which typically comes out in Aug-Sept of 2006. But, there have been rumors that the new 2007 model might come out early. The rumor has it that we might see it in the spring of 2006.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The '07s are indeed on track for an early release in '06, perhaps as early as March.

Keep in mind that the "new" Corolla was released as an '03 model in the first quarter of 2002 - we bought one in March of '02.

There are no "rules" any more about this kind of thing - when the car is ready they put it on the road. They want to have the Camry hybrid ready for release in the new body at the same time the rest of the line gets the redesign, incidentally.
    It's not a rumor; the redesigned 2007 Camry will come out in early 2006, possibly as early as February. The hybrid version, however, will not be available until the end of calendar 2006, from what I've read.
    Does anyone have any good pictures of the new 2007 Camry?
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    What do seat pretensioners do?
    Actually, they are seat belt pretensioners. These tighten up the front seat belts in the event of a serious enough frontal crash. The idea is to remove any slack in the belts and prevent you from moving forward too far. Of course, they're only effective if you are wearing your seat belt in the first place, which I'm sure all Edmunds posters do! ;)
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    But don't all seatbelts work this way? I thought it was a special feature in the Camry.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    All seatbelts should lock in the event of a frontal collision, but Toyota is one of the few companies that uses the pretensioners to take up slack in the seatbelt in crashes that involve the airbags. One of those "minor" things that don't effect the crash-test ratings with them being static tests, but can and do make quite a bit of difference in real-world situations.

Ken
    Most 2005 model cars (and pickups, vans, and SUVs) now have these for the front seats; a few carmakers install them in rear seats as well. If you look at the April 2005 annual auto issue of Consumer Reports, there is a list of all vehicles with this feature (as well as some other key safety features).

In a lower severity frontal crash, it is possible for the seat belt pretensioners to activate without the airbags deploying. The Toyota owner's manual explains this in detail.
  • techstafftechstaff Member Posts: 5
    Is the 2006 Camry detuned from 2005? Edmunds' comparator on toyota.com says so, and Toyota's eBrochures agree. The data:

LE 2.4L 4cyl:.....2006.....................2005.....................change
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Power (hp):.......154 @ 5700 rpm.....160 @ 5700 rpm.....-3.8 %
    Torque (ft-lbs):...160 @ 4000 rpm.....163 @ 4000 rpm.....-1.8 %

LE 3.0L 6cyl:.....2006.....................2005.....................change
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Power (hp):.......190 @ 5800 rpm.....210 @ 5800 rpm.....-9.5 %
    Torque (ft-lbs):...197 @ 4400 rpm.....220 @ 4400 rpm...-10.4 %

SE 3.3L 6cyl:....2006.....................2005.....................change
    Power (hp):.......210 @ 5600 rpm.....225 @ 5600 rpm.....-6.7 %
    Torque(ft-lbs):....220 @ 3600 rpm.....240 @ 3600 rpm.....-8.3 %

But the gas mileage is the same in every case. And it doesn't seem to be emissions - 4cyl eBrochure says in some areas cars with PZEV ratings will be even poopier. What's the deal? Anybody know?

techstaff
    "What's the deal?"

New SAE standards for measuring hp and torque. Most ratings will go down unless the manufacturer tweaks the engine to keep it the same.
    lmacmil is right. There is a new formula for measuring HP and Torque. So the figures you see for the 2006 Camry are NOT a design change for its engines but now there are being tested by the new SAE standards.
    By the way, are there any other changes for the Camry that you saw for 2006? I see the price has gone up $250.00.
    "I see the price has gone up $250.00."

Toyota is very sensitive about increasing their market share too fast at the expense of GM & Ford. They don't want some Michigan legislators to start talking protectionism to stem the loss of (UAW) jobs. So they raise prices slightly while the domestics are cutting them furiously (via rebates, etc.) so no one can claim they are expanding their share by price cutting.
    "Muscle" Camry -- now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one! LOL!

There will be NO changes for the 2006 Camry (other than price) compared to the '05, and the redesigned 2007 model is due around February 2006.
  • techstafftechstaff Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Imacmil, 210delray, fredvh. That clears things up perfectly. Although I'll bet the price increase has more to do with Toyota's pricing power due to sales success than with concern for its distressed US-headquartered competitors. Toyota needn't worry much about protectionism now that it makes so many cars in the US.

techstaff
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    Actually what happened is SAE closed loopholes that allowed some unscrupulous manufacturers from inflating data to make the HP numbers sound better than they actually were.

Toyota looks like the worst offendor on the list. Some manufacturers actually are very conservative and underreport the HP.

Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers

Horsepower ratings are only irrelevant to performance on a very gross scale. The SE-V6 with 225 or 210 hp is essentially equal to the Accord wiht its 240 or so hp. The new 3-series with 255 hp had the same 1/4 mile time as the 280hp G35 in a recent MT test. Unfortunately only a small percentage of car buyers read the enthusiast mags, so they may be misled into thinking higher hp=faster. We all know better ;)
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Actually, i think this has been discussed before. The 210 Hp rating for the V6 Camry came from SAE. Toyota has been using SAE figures for quite some time. SAE has changed their testing procedures and closed some loopholes that allowed manufacturer to exploit HP and torque figures. Now the standard is uniform and across the board. Incidently, the V6 Accord now boasts 244 HP and not 240. I think the DETROIT FREE PRESS article about Japanese automakers inflating their HP ratings is misleading at best or an outright lie at worst.
  • noemkatnoemkat Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying a 94 Camry for $2000 from family friend who took real good care of it. From pricing standpoint looks great but anyone have major problems with this model?
    The only reservation is on buying a car from a friend. If something goes wrong soon after the purchase, you are likely to be mad and the seller will probably feel bad. If you don't think that's a problem and the car is in good shape, go for it.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    I don't think its the media that has been propogating data that has been "misleading at best or an outright lie at worst".

I think that honor goes to Toyota,.

It is they who have been advertising 210 HP Camrys that only get 190 HP. The only reason Toyota changed is because of a new California law that requires manufacturers selling in California to use strict SAE standard, instead of inflating their numbers like they have been doing in the past.
    Didn't the new SAE standard go into effect in August 2004? By then Toyota would have already rated their engines and printed their advertising brochures. Re-rating is a fairly expensive proposition which is why Ford has said they won't recertify any of their engines unless the engine changes or it gets put in a new model. There may be psychological difference between 210 and 190hp but there's no performance difference.

I think this is just another case of Detroit (in this case via the newspaper) bashing the company that's cleaning the domestic industry's clocks. It's got nothing to do with engine hp ratings.