Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I have the non-sport and I get little dust on the front wheels. But, as the rear pads are the same for both options, I get beaucoup dust on the rear wheels!
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The hp ratings for 2003 have not been released or reported yet. It is suspected that the displacements will be increased to 3.3 and 4.2 or 4.3 to match the new Jag blocks which have been reported. Power should be around 250 for the V6 and 280 for the V8. Could be more if they make other improvements like VVT. The guys that took the Wixom tour probably know but can't say anything, and it's probably killing them to keep quiet!
  • Options
    alphansteinalphanstein Member Posts: 95
    Nope, Lincoln didn't comment on any of the 2003 info and they made it clear that they were not going to, so we might as well not ask. We got snapshots of things, but nothing that puts the whole picture together.
  • Options
    rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Does anyone know where the GPS receiver is located in the cars with the communuication package. Thanks.
  • Options
    karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    Link to a pic of a Lincoln Brostol LS displayed at the SEMA show in Vegas

http://www.hotrod.com/clubs_rides/viewride_new.jsp?type=2&id=45163&rid=26884

Is that black car to the right an LS?

Also, lots of info on the '03 Merc Marauder

http://www.hotrod.com"
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    After spending all day attempting to replace the stock shocks with the aftermarket, supposedly custom-made, shocks from Moriss Dampers, I can tell you that it ain't worth doing. If you're contemplating buying shocks from them, don't. At least not for a street car. I'm sure they do well at making shocks for race cars, but they have a long way to go before they claim to make street shocks.

The shocks didn't fit. The stroke of the piston rod was longer than stock. The stock rod holds the spring under compression which allows the whole assembly to be installed in the vehicle without spring compressors.

The Moriss Dampers shocks had an extra six inches of travel, which meant there was no way to install them without spring compressors. The really bad part is that if you put spring compressors on then there's no room to manuever the whole assembly into place. So you're left with a bundle that's too big to do anything with. And you can't compress the shock/spring assembly enough to bully it into fitting.

So, until Bilstein, Koni or a more mainstream company makes shocks for the LS, stick to the stock replacements. I've ordered the European shocks (Sport model) as a replacement for my non-stock shocks.

Not that anyone who was at Mania 2 is surprised by this finding. I was at least expecting them to fit and then find out that the valving sucked. Geez, couldn't even get them to fit and I had the help of a qualified mechanic.

Just goes to show you that sometimes stock is better. I think I learned my lesson, at least on the shocks. Oh well, I guess that's what the project car is for. Find out what works and what doesn't before the members do. :(

Now if I can just get my money back from Moriss Dampers.

Brian (soaking his cares away with Miss Margarita)
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    thanks for the response...I neglected to ask, will the V6 have mpg of, say, 25/32, and the V8, say, 23/30???...ok, just kidding, but it would be a nice surprise:):):)
  • Options
    GtomaGtoma Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my 2002 V6 manual on Halloween and I'm just in love with it!! Now that I've driven it more than a 5 minute test drive I can see what you all are raving about. Now all I have to do is get used to shifting again (it's been 9 years since I drove a manual regularly). Well I have to say I won't mind putting in the practice ;) Thanks to Jim Rogers and Brian Gowing for helping me out in finally getting this car. If you look back to posts in July, my tale of woe is told there. Lincoln came through for me and I'm now a very happy camper.

Now a question for those of you with V6 maunals...is there anything special I should be doing to break in the car?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    It REALLY helps to drive it :~) Seriously, the six takes a looooong time to loosen up. At least 4000 miles. In the mean time don't expect a rocketship and enjoy. Oh yea, the Borla adds quite a bit of perceived power :)

Brian, what does Debbie think of Miss Margarita?
  • Options
    Has a first look at the LSE. They really liked it. They also said there was more power on tap for 2003 - they guessed 240 for the V6 and 275 for the V8.
  • Options
    kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    I kind of like brake dust in a weird sort of way, I know my brakes are functioning well.
  • Options
    Tom,

Congrats on your car! Glad we were able to help get your deal through!

Go easy the first 1000 miles. The engine will be very tight and not want to rev freely. After the first 1000 miles go ahead and spring for an oil change. That will get rid of any bits of metal that are in suspension from the break-in process.

Try to keep it under 65mph for the first couple of hundred miles, varying the speed. A couple of 0-50 blasts with coasting down after each one will help to seat the piston rings. After the first couple hundred miles start driving it at the speed that you want it to become accustomed to, still varying the speed. After time you'll notice the engine will start revving more freely.

Mike;

Debbie isn't too thrilled with me since I know have to find a hydraulic press to put the old spring back on the old shock so I don't have to use the Momma-mobile next week. :)
  • Options
    glenns3glenns3 Member Posts: 25
    I've been holding back some warranty work on my 2000 v6m hoping the new window part will be available and I could have it installed at the same time. I'm not convinced my dealer will know and tell if the latest part is now available. Is there a new part # I could reference for the part with the metal wheel that is the supposed final fix? It's getting cold in St. Louis and I don't want to keep exercising my windows, but I'm afraid if I don't, they'll crash and the dealer will put in the old part. Also, any word on getting the 2002 airbox bottoms? Thanks again for the great participation on the board.
  • Options
    tom12253tom12253 Member Posts: 110
    Glenn,

I don't think the third generation window regulators will be available till December sometime.

For those who may be interested in retrofitting your 2000-2001 V6 and V8 Airbox's with the new 2002 less restricted one - the base part, the only part that is different, is not available by itself and you would have to replace the entire Airbox (part# 2W4Z 9600-AA) dealer price $180.52. If you are a LLSOC member check out my post in the Members News Forum for additional info. There are also pictures I took of the 2002 Airbox in the Members Lounge.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Well, by now you've probably stalled out at a few intersections, cussed alot, and are ready to kick the car. Yes, she's an uncooperative [non-permissible content removed] when new. It's bad enough the engine is super tight and has no low end torque. The clutch is also fighting you and the tranny just doesn't want to cooperate either. Just slowly put on the miles. Things get better first in the clutch, then the tranny, and the engine last. In fact, my Duratech didn't get it's defining growl for at least 3500 miles and still was loosening up at 10k. At least you have the lower restriction mufflers and air box with the 2002. Those of us with the earlier cars will pay close to $1,000 for alot of improvement in those departments.
    But back to the Manual. The early Getrags had Dexron and then 10-30 motor oil for lubricant. My suggestion for better shifting after a few break-in miles is Redline Synthetic ATF. I think it is called "D" Fluid. I changed mine to Redline MTL but it was too thick. I then went to 50-50 MTL and Redline ATF. But I live in San Diego. If you are back East, The ATF, especially in winter, would be better than the stock fluid. The Getrag only takes 1.1 quarts. You will be amazed how small it is. There is a fill plug at the top and a drain plug at the bottom, and no gaskets are required. The rear end has syn fluid already so don't worry about it. The engine likes synthetic oil but I would wait until 7500 miles or so to put in Amsoil or Mobil 1. Costco has Mobil 1 10-30 here for $21.99 a case of 6. Such a buy.
    So just put on some patient miles and try to avoid taking on those lowered Civics and Integras with the blue headlight bulbs and sewer pipe exhausts. Let us know your progress. Oh yes, those door speakers are cheap Philco whizzers and the Polk DX-7's are the ticket there. Also, order a K&N air filter when you have a chance.
  • Options
    Brian, can you try to get us a volume deal on the new air box? I'm sure there is some quantity demand here. Hey, Guys, let Brian know if you want one.
  • Options
    glenns3glenns3 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the info. I can wait until December or Jan for the third generation window regulator. I think Brian is already working on a volume discount for the 2002 airbox, maybe save some $$$ and sell just the bottom half to llsoc members. If you're listening Brian, I'll buy one for sure. I like the idea of synthetic tranny fluid since it gets cold here in in St. Louis, and the manual tranny is the weak link durability wise in the drive train. 1.1 quarts of redline "d" and some do it yourself labor can't cost that much.
  • Options
    karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    Interesting and detailed info on the Getrag 6 speed in the new SVT Focus for you manual-philes.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=476&press_subsection_id=423&make_id=1049
  • Options
    jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    Hey Brian, I'll take at least one airbox!

V6M - About 3 weeks ago (on a nice cool afternoon), some of my co-workers were razzing me in the parking lot about having an "old man's car" (Lincoln). Soooo, I brought up 4K RPM's and dropped the hammer. This resulted in the wheelwell filling up with smoke, and about a 50-60 foot strip of rubber on the asphalt. Maybe not as impressive as a few other vehicles, but good enough for me!

BTW - ~9300 mi., K&N filter, Borla exhaust, & the above mentioned witnesses.
  • Options
    alphansteinalphanstein Member Posts: 95
    Hey Brian, I did my 280Z once and I just rented the springs compressor tool from Kragen for something like $7 for the day. It was a manual jobby, but it worked like a champ and I was able to change the two rear springs all manually in about 4 hours (from wheels off to back on).

Do you really need a hydrolic compressor?
  • Options
    Thanks for the SVT Focus info. Now that the SVT boys are warmed up, maybe they could take on the LS! I'm sure we wouldn't justify the volume but if the LS SVT became an M5 on the cheap the volume might be much higher.
    Did anyone notice that the none of the gear ratios are 1:1?
    This is a lot of technology for the money. Civic and Integra sales may be hurt by this new bad boy racer.
  • Options
    The discount for a quantity of 10 would be $139 each which would be a savings of 5 bucks off the LLSOC members price from Ford Parts Network.

From my point of view wouldn't it be better just to put a couple of extra holes in your existing airbox and save the money? If you guys want the airbox it would probably be cheaper overall to order direct from Torrie at www.fordpartsnetwork.com. The shipping charges would be less since he ships more and gets a break on shipping expenses.

After another futile attempt (read renting spring compressors) at trying to put the spring back into proper positioning so I could put the dang shock cap back on to hold the whole thing together
    I'm gonna cry uncle and take the assembly into Rancho FLM tomorrow and beg Brian Glasstetter to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again without laughing too hard.

I've taken springs off in the past, but boy these are some pretty stiff coil springs. When I get the new Sport shocks I'll probably have Rancho mount them for me.
  • Options
    DastoDasto Member Posts: 14
    I'm putting $2000 cap cost reduction in a 24 month lease on either a 2002 LS V6 Manual or a 2002 525i. The LS figures $530/month and the BMW figures $560. Which one should I get? I know it's personal preference and you guys will be biased, but I'd like to hear from you anyway. Thanks.
  • Options
    chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    I've been receiving Machine Design magazine for over 20 years. In recent times they added a short behind the wheel section to showcase different cars. Log on to www.machinedesign.com and go to behind the wheel to see what they have to say about the '01 LS. To sum it up for those who don't want to log on "Considering the LS runs with the likes of BMW 528is and Audi A6s, this is a great car at an even greater value" and this comes from a design engineer!
  • Options
    It really comes down to personal preference. The LS does have more interior room - in fact it's as big as a 7-series. I think the best thing we can tell you is that there is no reason NOT to consider the LS over the BMW if you like the styling and the ride/handling. Plus you get to see the shocked look on your friends' faces when you tell them it's a Lincoln instead of the snobby sneer at yet another BMW driver.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I guess it would be good to drive a V6 Manual ... if I can find one!
    I have the brochure and have read the info on the Lincoln site. All a bit confusing regarding the equipment.
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    Gearing - I find the lack of a 1:1 gear isn't as interesting to note as is that the transmission configuration is that of a 3-speed combined with a 2-speed, similar to the LS automatic.

What is truly interesting is what VVT does for the torque curve - pushing the "flat" portion down to 2000 RPM. That would be nice for the LS-V6. Perhaps that is coming for the 2003 model year....

Simulation results for the SVT Focus:

0-30 = 3.2
    0-40 = 4.1
    0-50 = 6.2
    0-60 = 7.9
    0-70 = 10.3
    0-80 = 12.8
    0-90 = 15.7
    0-100 = 20.1
    0-110 = 25.2
    0-120 = 34.5
    0-130 = 53.72

1/4mile = 16.1 @ 91MPH

70mph in 6th @ 2975rpm
  • Options
    First drive a V8 sport automatic - 0-60 times are almost identical to the V6 manual and you can check out the interior and the ride/handling. The V6 is actually better balanced by a percent or two (front/rear) so it will handle *slightly* better than the V8. If you can't find a manual to test drive let ls1bmw0 (otherwise know as Brian Gowing) know here or at llsoc.com. He has contacts at Lincoln that can help. Some dealers simply won't stock them and there's nothing Lincoln can do about it.
  • Options
    captdavidcaptdavid Member Posts: 29
    I spoke with someone at the Miami Car Show who said the end was near for the manual transmission as LM was only selling 2% of production with the 5 speed manual. Any comments? I guess no one should be surprised by low sales figures for the manual. One would think LM would display an LS sport at a car show. It's hard to figure what the marketing chief's are thinking. On another note, IMO, the LS sport chrome wheels look cheap but could you imagine owning PT Cruiser without them! Go figure.
  • Options
    joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    The manual transmission might indeed be coming up to it's demise, but if a person at the Miami Auto Show said so and they were right it is just the law of averages. The Miami Auto Show is not one of those industry shows like the NY show or the LA or Detroit ones. It is put on by the South Florida Auto Dealers Association and is staffed almost entirely by salesmen from the local dealers whose knowledge of the industry trends and product mix has been proven to be really lacking by our many experiences. Did he try to sell you a Town Car? I am afraid that every time I went to the Miami show (I stopped going sometime ago unless there was something in particular I wanted to see), I got bad information about 90% of the time to fairly simple questions. The cars, with a few exceptions are not factory cars, but local ones that came off a showroom or lot. You are not likely to see any early product showings unless the zone manager is feeling very charitable to the local dealers or unless the factory just really wanted to show off something and did not have a closer venue to do it.
  • Options
    are actually 2.5%. Haven't heard any plans to cancel production but it is very hard to get the dealers to stock them. The new CTS will have a manual V6 so that alone will probably be enough to keep it in production. Lincoln dealers are still trying to figure out how to sell to the under 70 crowd and Lincoln is trying to upgrade the dealerships which should help. The added power for 2003 should also help manual sales since some folks probably wanted a manual but also wanted a bit more power.
  • Options
    captdavidcaptdavid Member Posts: 29
    What have you heard regarding more power for 2003? By the way, one of my reasons for attending the Miami Car show was to see the Cadillac CTS. They showed a "proto-type" on a revolving stand so you could not get into the car. Based on what I saw I would NOT be interested. Styling looks cheap and funky. My LS continues to grow on me ...nice clean lines.
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    As you might imagine, there was a lot of discussion at Wixom regarding upgrading the manual LS tranny and hooking it up to a more powerful V-8.

Nothing I heard would make me believe they are seriously considering discontinuing the stick option.IMHO if Lincoln aggressively advertised the performance characteristics of the LS, sales of all models would increase dramatically as would that 2-2.5% manual mix.
  • Options
    Thanks for your second post. I have a Lincoln 'consultant' assisting with my request for a test drive of a V6 Manual. I'll report back on my progress.
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know where to get oil filters for the LS V8 (perferably Motorcraft filters) for under $9 each?
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    My dealer charges me $6.95 for the filter when they change the oil. Ford Parts Network should do better.
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    I went to the dyno to test out additional air intake modifications and the mass air flow sensor. After a base run, I dismantled the air box and unpluged the temp sensor (it's on the box) with the car running (I wanted to keep the coolant flowing). Big mistake. Removing the temp sensor while running tripped the "service engine" light. From there, the fuel air ratio was much richer and the power was not there. Resetting the Service Engine light made things considerably better (it was indeed indicating a high air temp), but it still ran richer than the first unspoiled run.

I believe I have to just drive the car for a while and let the computer fully recalibrate for peak operation. It seems to run just fine, but the peak performance is down a bit. Any thoughts from you guys?
  • Options
    From Autoweek. Includes the Jag XKR-R (400 hp supercharged 4.2) and LS Sport edition (350 hp supercharged 3.9).

http://autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?content_code=07036792

• Options
    Can't take the temp. sensor out of the loop, as you've found. The computer goes into fail-safe mode if you do.

When you disconnected the battery, I hope you waited about a half-hour or longer before you hooked it back up. It sometimes takes that long for the computer to reset. Once it does it takes anywhere from a 50 to 100 miles for the computer to relearn your driving habits, which is why it isn't responding like it used to.
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    The Ford Parts network is $8.99 for the filter.
  • Options
    Brian - thank you so much. J.R. Granatelli was kind enough to e-mail me his thoughs on my blunder as well, and he said the same thing. He also suggested that the O2 sensor could be a little grubbed up from the extra fuel and the 100 mile or so driving is also needed to clean that off to normal. It's great to hear two people give you the same answer - like a second opinion from the doc. Thanks again.

Do you think it is necessary to disconnect the battery after making some air box mods and putting a K&N in too?

When I do put the MAF sensor in for the test, I guess the first thing should be to disconnect the battery and wait a good half hour while changing it out before running it on the DYNO. Does that
    sound right?
  • Options
    It wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery first to reset the computer before any changes are made. This way you'll always have a baseline to go from.

Yes, disconnect the battery then change out the MAF before running it on the dyno.
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Maybe I'm getting a break because they're doing the labor as well, not to mention selling me 6 quarts of Motorcraft Synthetic oil @ $5.81 per.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    as some others, but I still believe that the folks who designed the car (that would be the engineers) did a fairly decent job (to put it mildly). Given the present economy, I'm not choosing to afford anything better.

Trying to find "better" shocks, exhaust systems, and God knows what else are worthy endeavours, and are interesting to observe. Disconnecting one of the inputs to the computer while the car is running apparently helped train yet another shade tree mechanic. I've been there (in an earlier, gentler time), but given the pollution controls and the resulting electronic controls, I've pretty much given up on modifications.

Apparently several of you are willing to still take up the cudgel.

Bless you.

I'm staying tuned.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    It's interesting to see the feeding frenzy for the new TBird. Sounds like quite a few dealers are getting greedy and reneging on their deals as they get cars in and turning around and selling them for a much higher mark-up. Ebay shows a few birds in the $48k range and the reserve hasn't been met yet.

Wonder what all these folks are gonna do in a couple of years when you can get one at a discount?
  • Options
    rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    where can I find a v-6 manual to test drive here in the S.F. Bay area,
    most dealers carried a few the first year but refuse to now because they sat on the lot for a long time.

Also, becareful of exaggerated claims by Borla on significant horsepower gains on their bolt on cat back systems.
    As a previous SHO owner, many of my fellow SHO friends were charged close to $800 for this system(Borla claimed a 25 hp gain on their dyno). But in reality hp gains were a modest 4-6 hp. as confirmed by a independent dyno shop.
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    There was one in the classifieds here recently going for a $52K asking price! According to BON (they have to get some stuff right,) Ford has issued stern warnings to dealers that all T-Bird sales must be at retail-no brokers. They show a sample agreement that customers supposedly have to sign stating that they will not sell the car for 6 months. I don't know about the legality of this one.
  • Options
    chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    Given any thought to what I suggested to Brian many posts back, namely pulling air in from the cowl on the passenger side. This is how NASCAR still do it today. It wouldn't necessarily show up on the dyno as you need to be moving to pull air in from this area. Might though as you'll eliminate 8 feet of ducting before you ever get to the engine.
    I have to bite my lip on the above but I know it works.
    The larger airflow sensor with the original ducting is like tinkling through a straw. The smallest diameter in the system (the snorkel) becomes the weakest link and biggest obstruction.
    Take a look at the induction on the 49 show car for another idea.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure Brian remembers, but I have to admit that I'm a lowly front drive Aurora guy. I get in here for some performance mod info because there are a lot of sharp people on this board and so far they have tolerated me. In fact it was reading Brian's posts that got me to try the MAF. I've had some great results on the dyno from my air box mods and adding a K&N filter.

I've made additional improvements to the box and have that MAF waiting for action. Too bad I goofed last Monday. Getting my hands on a nice cat-back system is proving to be tough, but I think I have a good lead with Corsa. Nobody seems to address the Aurora for much aftermarket stuff and I can understand why.
  • Options
    Send me an email with your name and phone number and general location and I'll pass it on to the LS Brand Manager. Should get an answer within two-three days for your demo. of a V-6 manual.

My email address is: brian.gowing@llsoc.com