Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Golf

Comments

• Options
    d7subd7sub Member Posts: 12
    I needed a practical car possessing the following:
    - 4 doors
    - hatchback
    - turbo or fast performing engine
    - good looks
    - pseudo luxurious interior
    - sunroof
    - good gas mileage
    - reliability
    Well, I think I hit most of it. I chose performance and 4 door hatchback practically over the vehicle's reliability. i wish myself luck.

/davis.
  • Options
    sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    I have more or less decided to go for a Golf TDI mainly due to my earlier experience with a TDI engine in India (Fiat Siena TDI 2000 model). My only question is has anyone tried to put a baby stoller in the cargo space? Does it fit in there? I understand that with the seats folded down there is a lot of room, but what about with the seats up and with the baby in the back seat? Will a stroller fit in the cargo space? If it does I think I will go for it then.
    Will be a great help if someone can relate their experience.
  • Options
    sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    Thanks guys, I have made the decision of buying a Gold TDI.. thanks for offering to help
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    You could always remove the luggage compartment cover. Bring a stroller to the dealership before you purchase the car.
  • Options
    morrison3morrison3 Member Posts: 1
    Went to look at a Golf last weekend and the dealer told me that the 2002 GL model only comes in a 2 dr. VW.com as well as this site have information on the 4 DR GL however. Has anyone seen one?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Yes I have seen the Golf GL 4 door for 2002. The dealer near me has two red GL 4 door TDI. I have seen Indigo Blue and White 4 door GL gas models, have not yet seen any Black ones. Your dealer is sadly uninformed. There was no 4 door in 2001 but it is available now, and a great car with the TDI motor. The GL has cloth upholstery which is better than the velour on the GLS.
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Can someone fill me in on what this is? I can't find anything on this on VW's website, other
    than it's listed as a standard feature on TDI models. They have the words "traction control"
    next to the feature, but something tells me it's not traction control in the traditional sense
    (i.e. something to help me get up slippery snowy hills). Anyone know the scoop? Thanks.

Erik
  • Options
    It's not a switchable system like the ASR found on the 1.8T or VR6.

I don't have a clue. I am considering spending some (some is an understatement) money on a Quaife LSD eventually.
  • Options
    The car issue of Consumer Reports is out and the Golf is recommended. Also recommended was the Jetta. CR cited increased reliability.
  • Options
    btp3btp3 Member Posts: 4
    hi guys, can anyone confirm that the current generation golf, jetta, and beetle all use the same size and lug pattern? i'm looking to put some used beetle wheels on my 2001 golf gl.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Same bolt pattern and offset.
  • Options
    mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    i am looking for a new 4dr. i live on long island, and dealer inventory is non-existent. one dealer has two down payments of $250 and is currently searching for those customers. should i get on the search list at local dealer or use a carsearch service on internet? i like sunroofs, but i heard that the interior is nicer in the gl. is it a bad idea to buy a gl and have an aftermarket sunroof installed? if i do put $250 down at local dealer, do i negotiate price before the search has begun, or after my car has been found? assuming i can negotiate on a hard to find car.
  • Options
    The GL is a cloth interior. The GLS has a velour interior, as it is pleasing to touch, it is also a "lint magnet".

The GL is no options. Aftermarket sunroofs, many places is a quick cut job, so quality can be shaky. It may also void a warranty on the car.

The GLS also adds power windows, AM/FM/Cassette/CD player, & Cruise Control. The Luxury package is about $1000 (a little more), adds sunroof & alloy wheels. The Cold Weather package adds heated seats and washer nozzles ($150). Those are the two options I recommend.

Down payments: You don't need to put a down payment yet. Negotiate a price first, then put a down payment for delivery of the vehicle.

I got my car at Trend Motors. Give them a call (973)625-0100 and ask for Glenn Hagen.

Here's what they have from the site:
    2 Golf GL:
    $16,575 Indigo Blue/Black (cloth)
    $15,700 Indigo Blue/Beige

11 Golf GLS

www.trendmotors.com
  • Options
    TDI GL has cruise as standard, don't have to get a GLS for that.
  • Options
    the GL 2.0L doesn't have cruise control. But mpg5 may want the 2.0L motor instead of the TDI
  • Options
    2.0 is nothing to brag about. There is nothing about it that would make me decide to buy a VW with this motor. The 1.8T is an exellent motor, the TDI is an excellent motor, the 2.0 is below average. I would not buy a VW with the 2.0 and I am a VW fan. 2.0 has frequent complaints of oil burning, does not get great fuel economy, does not have an abundance of power, and is not the smoothest motor either.
  • Options
    Why did you think I went TDI? For the same reasons, and the 50 mpg highway.
  • Options
    mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    thanks for all of your help. 2.0l is definately out for me. i was going to get a new 1.8t but i dragged my feet and 'poof' no more 4 dr 1.8t. i am thinking the next best thing is an upsoluted TDI.....TORQUE DEFINATELY INCREASES fun factor around town. and i would like to get high MPG (my initials, btw) after driving 95 Pathfinder for 2 1/2 yrs. leaning slightly toward 1.8t jetta wagon, sport suspension, 17" alloys, but the 4 dr golf with 17" lowered 1"-1 1/2" looks way cooler IMO. calling trend motors, thanks for the lead. and thanks again for all others input.
  • Options
    Ask for Glenn Hagen

Tell him Tan Nguyen sent you.
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    What's the situation where you are for supply of the Golf TDI vs. demand? Are they going
    for MSRP, or do you have any hope of discounts? Thanks.

Erik
  • Options
    Golf TDI 5 speed is very difficult to find right now. There are a few GL 4 door and GLS TDI available in the my area with the automatic. Just under MSRP is very realistic. As the fuel prices go up so does demand, the summer is usually the highest demand/low supply/high cost time of the year with the TDI. January and Feb. are the times when I have noticed the most TDI's on dealer lots. The GL TDI 2 or 4 door is certainly the best value among the TDI's offered by VW.
  • Options
    They are easy to find in my area and where mpg5 is shopping at. The hard part is waiting for a golf with a black interior (I went biege because it took 9 less weeks to arrive).

Pricing will be a few hundred above invoice. I got mine for $19,100, loaded except for the Monsoon (which I did not want anyway).
  • Options
    dlavidlavi Member Posts: 13
    I'm a getting a 2002 4 door golf GL 2.0 - black automatic. I am paying 16,000 - is that a fair price. No dealers in the area had one, they had to get it from out of state so the negotiating room was limited.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You should be able to get a Golf 2.0 at invoice-$200 over, because you can get a 1.8T Jetta at $400 or so over invoice. Try checking out Edmund's TMV thing as well. And who cares if they are limited? I would try 2 or 3 dealers for the lowest price possible.
  • Options
    Edmund's TMV is 16,300 for that car. The fact that they are limited and not on dealers lot makes negotiation more difficult as dealers want to get cars they have off the lot rather then negotiate a trade with an out of state dealer for a car they don't have. It costs dealers money to keep a car on the lot. that's my 2 cents anyway
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Which would be better in the TDI, an automatic or stick? Is there much of a difference between the two in regards to their handling/performance?

Leo
  • Options
    Stick

Stick gives you slightly better highway mileage, and much better city mileage.

And it's too easy to drive
  • Options
    gluzdgluzd Member Posts: 1
    i spoke with some mexican guys a few days ago and they said that you can get a new golf for ~ $8000 there. does anybody know if it would make sence to bring one from there (i.e. assembly quality, custom fees, etc.)?
  • Options
    peacefulpeaceful Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Golf GLS & am really tired of the velour. Been thinking about aftermarket but think original VW leather is better & today I found someone who is selling! Questions: Is installation fairly easy? Something my husband & I could do? Does 50% down beforehand & 50% after I recieve the seats sound safe? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    firstjeepfirstjeep Member Posts: 18
    Is this possible? What does it take to get it to US specs?
    This is my wife's car and it is in mint condition. Already a classic if you ask me because this is a Golf 1. They kept building Golf 1 Cabrios till end 93 and then changed to Golf 3 Cabrio.
  • Options
    Anyone know where I could find this information though?
    thanks,
    Jim
  • Options
    It is possible but for the cost to have the car imported you can buy at least one new cabriolet and possibly two or three. Forget about it.
  • Options
    That much huh? hmm, I thought the import tax would be on the value of the can- which is very little) and then just some minor changes like red binkers instead of yellow ones etc etc.

I guess not.
    thanks!
  • Options
    Exporting a vehicle from US to Europe is not too bad. Involves some taxes, a few light mods, and other misc.. Trying to get a non-US car imported into US is so difficult and costly that the only cars that get imported are in the 50K to 1 million range and up in cost. You can't even get a car from Mexico imported to US anymore unless it conforms to US emissions and safety standards. If it were possible import cars from Europe I would drive a Golf GTI TDI or Passat TDI instead of my 90HP Golf TDI and 90HP Jetta TDI. The European diesels are fantastic.
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    You wouldn't have anywhere to fill up since we don't have low-sulfar diesel here ;-)
  • Options
    The low sulfur diesel has more to do with the catalyst than the motor. The PD and common rail motors will run OK on the low quality US diesel (just add a bunch of powerservice to the fuel) and I do have low sulfur, high cetane diesel available near me anyway.
  • Options
    68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    Anyone have a 2002 GTI/Golf/Jetta that was built after Sept. 2001 that has had any problems with their window regulators (e.g., window falling into the door)? I'm trying to figure out if VW has fixed this problem that has been plaguing pre-2002 MkIV cars. Thanks.
  • Options
    NO problems yet
  • Options
    Speaking of VW problems yesterday while driving my 2002 golf gl 2.0 with only 800 miles on it it died on the highway. Just lost power and that was it. Turns out their was a leak in the line for the rear window washer, the washer fluid spilled out and fried a bunch of fuses. Needless to say I was upset and kicking myself for replacing my Civic hatch with a VW. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. But I am quite concerened about these quality control issues and the long term reliability of the vehicle
  • Options
    Thanks all. We'll get rid of the Cabrio before we move. Will have to get another one in the US though.

VW problems. Nah. I have a 1990 Golf 1.8 and still drive it every day. It's done 200000 km. No problems. Of course this was built before there were computers and fancy electronics in cars, but it does have a rear window washer and it has never leaked ;-)
    We also have that 93 Cabrio, and it's perfect.
    I'll always get VW over Honda.

You'll be all right.

Jim
  • Options
    peacefulpeaceful Member Posts: 6
    I've decided to go for adding leather interior to my 2002 Golf. I have an
    appointment on Monday to start the transformation. Has anyone had any
    experiences with CST? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    Katzkin leather is what all the people I have ever heard of adding leather use in VW Golf and Jetta too. http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html

If you check over at VWVortex and do a search you can see pictures and hear of how installs went.

The Katzkin product is safe for the seat airbags too. Perhaps some of the info. for the Katzkin will be relevant for the CST.
  • Options
    aww3aww3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Golf GL auto. I have been very happy with, except for the noise. I want to buy a quieter 4 door Golf. Since they don't make any 1.8T Golfs anymore, I was considering a TDI or a Jetta 1.8T wagon. Their is a certified used 1.8T 2001 4 door Golf availible. It is hard to get a real road test to evaluate though. I hear from the threads that the TDI is only slightly noisier at idle and quieter and smoother upon acceleration and highway driving. One dealer said the TDI is even quiet at idle once it is warmed up.

I believe a Passat is quieter, but my wife and I like the Golf's demeanor. Can anybody offer me some sound advise?
  • Options
    Also, does the Jetta Wagon have more sound insulation, or is it quieter than a Golf if they both have the same engine. I've also read that you should try to get Michelins instead of Goodyear Eagle tires to cut down on road roar.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It's common knowledge that a sedan (with a closed trunk) is going to be quieter most of the time than a hatchback/wagon with an open cargo bay. This is true, because the open space is going to resonate noise better, I would think.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The TDI is much quieter on the highway, mostly because it is turning so slowly - jus tover 2,000 rpm at 60mph.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I would tend to agree, but I'm comparing a Jetta Wagon to a Golf. A dealer said there is more insulation in a Jetta Wagon than a Golf. Also is the TDI and/or 1.8T quieter at idle and upon acceleration, as compared to the 2.0 engine. At highway speed it sounds like the TDI would be quieter. Is the 1.8T louder than the 2.0 and TDI at highway speed.
  • Options
    I'm looking at several 2000 and 2001 1.8T four door Golfs. They all are autos and loaded and have low milage. One is a 2001 vw certified pre-owned 6,500 miles. The others are a 2001 and 2000 model, sold new as dealer demos. What are the pitfalls of VW certified and new demos with milage from the dealer.
  • Options
    My experience is that there is no difference in the noise level between Golf and Jetta Wagon. I have both and they are both TDI. The Golf seems quieter to me because it has an auto transmission and my opinion is that the manual trans. TDI are a little louder than auto TDI. There is really so little difference it is hard to tell. They both have their merits, and I am going to sell one of the cars and am having a hard time deciding which one to sell, they are both so enjoyable. I can't really comment on the 1.8T.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for yor comments. I have seen some 2001 Golf 1.8Ts loaded dealer demos with auto and 8,500 miles for the mid to upper 16,000's. If I get a good price on my current 2000 Golf GL, i'm going to do trade. I need two more doors and would like a quieter and smoother engine than the 2.0. If the 2001 1.8 ends up being reliable (window regulators, MAF, etc..) I'll keep it for a long time. If not, I'll get a MV Golf after they've been out a year or so.