Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    "$86 showroom fee" What if your car was never in the showroom?
    "$5 tire disposal fee" Make sense if you were buying a set of new tires, but a new car?
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    I charge a $5 consultation fee when I walk into a showroom and a salesman wants to talk to me. Tell them you can play their silly game too.
  • I'm looking at a 1.8Turbo with leather, Golf or Jetta...I cant make up my mind. Can anyone give me any advice/input about the differences between both cars? thanx
    You better hurry otherwise your mind will be made up for you.
  • What will replace the 1.8T Golf? are the replacements already on the lots?
    I think the 2002 Golfs with have just the 2.0L, but don't quote me on that. This is probably to further differentiate the Golf from the GTI. Of course, you could still get a 2002 GTI with the 1.8T, if you don't mind 2 doors. Haven't seen any 2002s yet.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Golf GL with 2 doors or 4 is available with 1.9L TDI or 2.0L and the 4 door GLS is available with 1.9L TDI or 2.0L and is available only with 4 doors. GTI offers the 1.8T and the VR6.
    If you want 1.8T with 4 doors then you can choose the Jetta. Want 1.8T with a hatch and 4 doors then the only choice is the Jetta Wagon.
    2002 Golfs have not arrived in US. 2002 Jetta and Beetle are here but it is worth note that the Puebla Mexico plant is on strike.
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    are the dimensions the same for rear seat and cargo capacity? the 2 door appears smaller? are the doors bigger on the 2 door, hence the car looks smaller? can anyone help with info on how to best search for gls 5spd 1.8t? none on Long Island. should i use a car search?? recomendations? or call each dealer myself? any help greatly appreciated.
  • nsheanshea Posts: 1
    I have a recurring problem with my VW - that the dealer has "fixed" several times during my warranty period, with no luck.

the problem is that on occasion (right when it starts up, most recently in the heat, but in the past has been in cold) it searches for the correct idle speed, sometimes revving up to 1000 rpms above.

Has anyone else had this problem? they have so far replaced oxygen sensors and a temp gauge to fix - now the revving is less dramatic, but not gone.

Help! I go off warranty at the end of this month.
    Just because your warranty ends in a month does not mean that your idle problem will cost you to fix. If the problem started before the warranty expiration and the dealer has attempted to fix it, he is still obligated to resolve it under warranty after expiration.
  • I've had my 2001 VW Golf for about a month now. 2200 miles, and no problems until last Friday. As I was driving home from work, the EPC light came on and I experienced a reduction in power. After I turned the car off and started it again, the light went off, and the car was fine. I called the service dept. at my VW dealer, and they said that since the light went off, it was probably a fluke, and not to worry.

Tuesday, I was on my way home, and the EPC light came on again. I pulled over, turned the car off, waited a minuted, then started it. This time, both the EPC and check engine lights came on. The car started revving. I called the dealer (spoke to the sales person as the service area was closed) and he told me that since I was close to home, drive it there, and have VW roadside tow it to the dealer. So that's what I did.

Yesterday, they didn't even look at the car.

Today, when I called to check on it, they said that they found that my battery had a low charge. They're going to charge it and go from there.

Has anyone else had this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2 of 2 Follow up by emilyophelia Sep 20, 2001 (01:24 pm)
    Well, the service guy just called and said that the problem was a low charge on the battery. I asked him why it took 2000+ miles for this to happen...how could the battery lose charge??? They charged it all day today and say it's fine now.

Do I believe them?
  • I've had my 2001 VW Golf for about a month now. 2200 miles, and no problems until last Friday. As I was driving home from work, the EPC light came on and I experienced a reduction in power. After I turned the car off and started it again, the light went off, and the car was fine. I called the service dept. at my VW dealer, and they said that since the light went off, it was probably a fluke, and not to worry.

Tuesday, I was on my way home, and the EPC light came on again. I pulled over, turned the car off, waited a minuted, then started it. This time, both the EPC and check engine lights came on. The car started revving. I called the dealer (spoke to the sales person as the service area was closed) and he told me that since I was close to home, drive it there, and have VW roadside tow it to the dealer. So that's what I did.

Yesterday, they didn't even look at the car.

Today, when I called to check on it, they said that they found that my battery had a low charge. They're going to charge it and go from there.

Has anyone else had this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2 of 2 Follow up by emilyophelia Sep 20, 2001 (01:24 pm)
    Well, the service guy just called and said that the problem was a low charge on the battery. I asked him why it took 2000+ miles for this to happen...how could the battery lose charge??? They charged it all day today and say it's fine now.

Do I believe them?
  • what is the difference between
    the Golf, with a 1.8t, sport suspension,
    and a standard GTI?

i like the GTI, however would like
    a four door vehicle, which i can only get
    in the Golf ...
    therefore, isn't the Golf, 1.8t , spt. susp. the same as a four door GTI?
    please correct me if i'm wrong about this.
    thanks to all.
    Well basically the 1.8T Golf with sport suspension is the same as the GTI, until now. The 1.8T Golf has been discontinued for 2002. If you want a 4 door 1.8T, you'll have to pay more for the less convienient Jetta.
    Looked at 2002 VW's at Team VW in Merrillville, IN and they had a sticker in addition to the factory sticker that listed additional equipment. The additional equipment included splash guards for $295.00 and paint/fabric protection for $499.00.
    Does anyone besides me feel that $295.00 for splash guards is nearly stealing?
  • $299 for splash guards and $499 for paint/fabric protection?!?! That's not just
    stealing but insulting the intelligence of customers. You can protect the fabric
    with a can of Scotch-Guard for less than $10!! As for the paint protection, I
    hope they are not going back to that ridiculous "acid rain protection" sales
    gimmick again. Acid rain is not a new phenomenom. It also happens to be a
    subject that I deal with through my job.
    I wonder how many people have fallen for the old "fabric protection" trick?
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    the $295 for splash guards seems GENEROUS compared to $499 for 'fabric protector'. Put a decimal between the four and the nine, and you have the actual cost of a can of Scotchgard.
  • Hi, everyone. This is my first time to post a message in this board though i have been reading for a long time. I am currently looking for a 2002 gold GL automatic and i am living in LA area. The invoice of this car from Edmunds.com is $15458. Has anyone purchased a 2002 GL at a price close to this number? Any dealer information? I will really appreciate your advice and input.

Take care,

larry
  • salomsalom Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying a Golf and I wanted to get a manual transmission. I have test driven both auto and manual. With the auto, the acceleration and overall feel of the car was good, but with the manual once I shifted the car into 5th I felt like I needed to shift again? I could feel the engine straining a bit. Is this normal for "new" manual transmissions (less than 30 miles on the car)? Do you have to break them in like the Sales person said? Is this typical of all manual transmissions in new cars? I am hesitant in getting the automatic only because my husband claims the car vibrates in idle even though it didn't when I drove it. He fears that might come with time. If any owners or if any knowledgeable person can give me some input, I would appreciate it. I really need to make up my mind(auto or manual)asap.

Thanks!
  • header2header2 Posts: 10
    a. You should never have to break in a transmission, the salesman was blowing smoke.

b. an automatic selects the gears for the driving conditions if the engine starts straining it drops down a gear. In manual you have to keep an eye on the tachometer and know the engine rev limits. if the engine is doing 2000 rev in 5th and you step on the gas it's not going to do anything. You have to drop down into 4th or 3rd to get higher revs to get abit more power for acceleration
    It also depends on the engine, if is has a turbo or not, or if it's a diesel. I know it may sound complicated but a little research can save you heartache later on. If the salesman is pressuring you to buy the car tell him to forget it, he'll be following you out the door dropping the price.
    c. engines do need a break in period, read the handbook, if in doubt ask to read the hand book before you buy.
    If you have this much uncertainty about the Golf, look at another vehicle. I'd get the manual because this is a heavy car with a relatively low powered engine. Plus the mileage numbers on the 2.0 auto are pathetic, bordering on what cars with twice the power get.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Posts: 101
    Tons of Jettas, but Golfs are scarce right now at local dealers. I'm interested in an '02 TDI Golf, anybody know when these will show up? Thanks.
    They are at dealers now. Dealer in my area has two GL 4 door TDI. Both red with black interior, one manual and one automatic. TDI is rare compared to the gas models and the Golf is scarce compared to Jetta and Beetle so if you want one the dealer in your area may need to locate it.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Posts: 101
    I could really go for a 4 door GL Golf TDI. Had my Jetta WE in for service yesterday and not a single Golf on the lot except a black 2.0. The wife needs a new car and I think a Golf GL would be great, and I like the TDI for an all-around car.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I thought the GL came only with two doors, GLS only with four doors (GLS includes upgraded upholstery and power windows, if I'm not mistaken). So basically you can only get a 2-door Golf (not to be confused with GTI) with manual windows and 4 door Golfs only with power windows, which I think sucks.....
    Anyone know if this has changed?
    VW now sells a 4 door GL, but with so few Golfs available and so many variations, the chances of finding one seem slim. Because it doesn't offer power windows, etc. will make it a rare find.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2002? The Volkswagen Golf was chosen as the best Small Coupe/Hatchback Under $20,000. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    How could the Golf be chosen for "best hatchback" when the GTI is actually recommended? There is considerable difference in driving characteristics between a base GL with the 2.0 and a GTI with 17" wheels and 1.8T. The Golf GL is probably not the best hatchback and the GTI probably is the best, although finding one under $20k would be challenging.
  • I think this site is interesting and useful for all of us. It hase been only a few months since I ve bought my GTI so, I haven't experienced any problems so far. I'll keep on reading you folk's reviews and try to help you when possible.
    Take Care !!!! O Cakici