Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• smfransmfran Posts: 432
    I have no problems like Ken describes with the spell check. I happen to like the fact that once you approve a word, it automatically adds it to your "dictionary" and doesn't bring it up the next time you use it.
    Does anyone know what the recall is that was mentioned by fantascp?
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Sorry Stephen - I was attempting to answer this earlier but my browser froze up and I lost my posting. The recall was for "certain 2000 Buick LeSabre, Buick Park Avenue, Pontiac Bonneville, Cadillac Seville, Cadillac Deville, Oldsmobile Intrigue and the 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora automobiles because some of these passenger vehicles have internal fluid leaks in the brake hydraulic control unit." For more detail, check out http://www.safetyalerts.org/recall/a/00/114.htm Normally, the alldata site would list all recalls but it is strangely silent on this one. But, for a list of the TSB titles for the '00/'01 Bonneville, check out http://www.alldata.com/TSB/48/004816IB.html
    You've got chutzpah snickle. I'm sure your "family sedan" impressed him - at least you made him keep an eye on you (even if it was in his rear view mirror)....
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    Back in the late 80's I was leaving a concert in the upscale west end section of st. louis. A new black Porche 928 caught me at a few red lights. I was driving a regal with the t-type turbo package. I embarrassed him and his lady friend about 5 lights in a row. I had 4 people in my car. It was one of my finest moments... what A SLEEPER that car was.
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    hi again,
    smfran- as mentioned by iceman- the only recall for the 2000 bonneville was for a internal fluid leak in the brake hydraulic control unit- for cars manufactured in JAN 2000. if you want to see or bring up any vehicle for recalls go to the web page for EDMUNDS.COM- click on SAFETY at the top of the page- this will bring you to the next screen-the 3rd entry down is for links to the NHTSA- click on that link and it will take you to the NHTSA main page- from there just click on RECALLS and follow the prompts. I hope this will help.
    ICEMAN- great rotating post- !!!!

TPKen- the only problem i had since i have the car was to have new pads and rotors put on (grinding noise when coming to a stop)
    at about 5000 miles- somehow they (the factory) managed to mis-match the correct brake pad #'s for the front and rear of the car- at least that's what the dealership told me- anyway- it was fixed- (NO CHARGE) they replaced the front and rear pads and rotors- no other problems with the car since then(Aug2000) everything is working great.
    I have the bench seat- my wife(who uses the car for work- Monday to Friday)- guess who can't wait for the weekends to get here so HE can use the car--insisted on the bench seat- she complained that the bucket seats were too uncomfortable. What i still don't understand is i had to pay extra for the bench seat- years ago- bucket seats were extra- go figure!
    i took the 1 sb group plus the bench seat as mentioned and the rear spoiler.

chuck
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    i have a question to ask - on my window sticker from the factory- it lists the color of the car as ARTIC WHITE- however- the color code in the trunk is for bc/cc- 9753- which is for BRIGHT WHITE
    go with the label in the trunk?- anyone else have a different color listed-?
    What's not making sense is that BRIGHT WHITE is not a color for 2000- ARTIC WHITE is the color listed for 2000.
    thanks for any info.

Chuck
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Glad to hear others have no problems with spell check - this could be an issue with my browser or internal software since I am unable to post from this machine without using spell check. My other PC does allow me to post directly which puts a smile on my face.

Ken
    For those who might want to walk down memory lane, check out Jim's Musclecar Page. No Bonnevilles there, but a couple of fine looking GTO's.

Catchya later

Thanks for the info guys. Since my Bonnie was manufactured in 3/00, I guess I have no concerns about the break recall. I did notice however, at the link iceman provided to alldata, mention of a TSB on "Theft Warning Displayed on DIC".
    When I first start up on very cold mornings, my DIC shows "Check Security System" until I push the select button. My dealer said this is a known issue. Anyone have any comments or subscribe to alldata and could check this out? Iceman?
    How did your spellcheck react to chutzpah? I'm glad that the censors interpreted the yiddish word as "guts" rather than "balls"!
    I don't have any more info on the TSB. Next time you go for service, point out the TSB (give them a copy of the title) and have them solve this. Mine certainly doesn't do that & I would consider that more than a little annoyance. Has yours been doing this from day 1?
    We talked about this earlier but I just came across this article - pretty thin on details but it gives more info than I previously had on the kind of mods that went into those speed runs at Bonneville: autonet.ca
  • One month to go and already 25,500 joyful miles on my SLE! This car is the best car I've ever owned. It continues to draw praise and looks from everyone. My only drawback is 2 can drink holders in the front... idiots, and the weird headrest which still are a bit uncomfortable. Anyone fix that yet?
    my favorite car; my 1988 Regal T Type. I would love to Email you a picture of it, since I do not know how to post it here.
    Since my wife likes to rest her head on the headrest while in the front passenger seat, I had to do something. First I explored the idea of changing them out with the previous style like I had in my '97. No luck. They don't interchange. Then I was recommended to AAA Market place through this forum and purchased the add-on head rest which attaches with elastic straps. I was also told that Brookstone. carries them. My wife is happy with it.
    Nice to hear a +ve story from a fellow SLE owner (it turns out, we're rather rare).

Regarding the cupholders - absolutely everybody agrees with you on this one. My sister has a Grand Prix GT & has the same complaint. Even my Pontiac dealer admits they're crappy. I personally think that GM should quieten us down by designing twin travel mugs that would fit in this cupholder - at the same time!. Hey, it would sweeten it somewhat if they just gave us as a pair of them as a token of their acknowledgement of our loyalty to GM.
    Having just bought my SLE last December - & having exclusively used touchless carwashes since - today was the first time I took a squeegee to the rear window at the gas station. How many others out there have experienced the wacky curvature at the bottom of the back window which essentially prevents good squeegee contact (at least in a horizontal sweep)? I suspect these would be expensive to replace.

Today got mild (hah! it reached 5 degrees celsius) enough for me to try a hand wash this afternoon. First one! Now that's a good feeling.

Saw a convertible late 90's SSEi this morning. The guy's daughter is in my daughter's dance class so I'll have a chance to catch up with him sometime in the next couple of weeks and find out what the story is. It's a black top on that ubiquitous dark Bonneville green & it looks pretty sharp. Betcha looks a ton sharper with the top down....
  • bohoobohoo Posts: 3
    Are you sure you weren't looking at a SSEi with one of those cheesy dealer installed vinyl roofs made to look like a convertable top???
  • I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Bonneville SE 48,000 miles, and wondered if anyone out there had experience with them? Any odd problems specific to that model year?

Weighing that car against a 1996 Caprice outfitted like an Impala, sort of a "Capala", I guess you'd say. Only drawback, high mileage.

I'm new to the room, so thanks in advance if anyone can help out.
  • martyb4martyb4 Posts: 9
    Hi folks, I've been pretty busy lately - more business travel than usual.

Anyway, one correction to my 522 fuel range story. A typical reading after filling up is high 300's, close to 400 (I sometimes do quite a bit of highway driving). The 489 was a bit unusal (I realized this after the next fill up). I attribute it to filling up just after an hour + drive on the highway. I remember reading somewhere that the range shown is base on the remaining fuel in the tank and the average MPG over the last 25 miles. Most of what I've seen says the tank holds 18.5 gallons. 522 would be based on an expected average of about 28.2 MPG. I don't rememer just how low I was that night before filling up. However, I have pulled a "Kosmo Kramer" (Seinfeld fans should understand), but not to where I ran out before making to the gas station. I ran it down to were it took somewhere between 17 & 17.5 gallons to fill up. Maybe I'll have to put a gallon or two in the trunk (in an gas can would probably be helpful) and go all the way. Oops!, hope I don't get censored.

Iceman - It was only about 5 miles to home after filling up. That's partly why I was so amazed about getting to 522 when I hoping just to see 500. The terrain here (Northeast Ohio) is pretty flat.

Later