Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Using (but not burning) oil

bowsmokebowsmoke Member Posts: 2
I am using a lot of oil in my 1998 Subaru Legacy. I did have an oil leak that was stinking alot, but that's been fixed. Now the oil is just disappearing. It seems to happen faster when doing highway driving more that local runs. I spoke with my mechanic and he suggested that it could be a problem with the "breather tube". Any confirmation on this?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

In all modern engines (say after early 1970's) , the crankcase is vented back to the throttle body so that oil filled air can vent into the inlet chamber to the engine, burning off any oil mist without venting to atmosphere. This is only supposed to happen under high pressures in the crankcase. There is a valve in the breather tube (PCV valve - Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) which can stick, meaning that this venting is continuous and result in an oil mist being continually carried into the throttle, especially under high vacuum (ie off load deceleration).

Looking at the PCV valve and integrity of the hoses connecting crankcase and throttle body would be a good start point.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    patalkerpatalker Member Posts: 1
    What was the cause of the stinky oil leak? I have the same problem, in the same car.