Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Civic Recall: Sedans and Coupes

soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
Per Edmunds Insider press release, Honda has issued a recall on 2012 Civic sedans and coupes due to a potential fuel leak that could cause a fire. Link: http://www.insideline.com/honda/civic/2012/2012-honda-civic-recalled-for-fuel-le- ak-that-cause-fire.html#comments_sort_form1

I just bought an LX sedan a week ago. Thought I'd start this thread to share information.

My dealer's service department had not been advised of anything yet; owners will be notified on the 27th.

My question is, what do I do in the meantime, drive around and hope I don't blow up? Am I entitled to a loaner car in the meantime? Never had recall this serious before.

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    In my experience, most recalls are nothing more htan a "Tempest in a Teapot" and amount to nothing.

If this were something serious, Honda would have issued a "Stop Sale" directive immediatly.

A few years back, my mother in law was terrified to drive her Accord becaue of a recall. There was a wire under the hood that "could" come out of it's slip and if this happened, it "could" cause a fire.

We got dozens of these Accords in for the recall and according to our shop not one has a misplaced wire.

In the not so long ago days, there were no recalls.

Still, if you detect a gas smell or somthing, I would probably stop driving the car.

You particular car may not even get recalled. They go by VIN number.
  • Options
    premnaspremnas Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Just relax, nothing to worry about... Only 1,156 Civics are affected. You can go to the link below and type in your VIN to see if yours is one of the 1,156 recalled.

Honda has been aware of the problem since May, 2011 and integrated measures into production to correct the issue. These Civics are ones they fear may have slipped through.

Hope this puts you at ease a bit!

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/HondaRecall.asp?recallStatus=NO%20VIN&recallId1- - =NO%20RECALL%20IDS
  • Options
    deedawdeedaw Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    EDIT: after doing some more searching I realized that the 1,156 is in relation to their FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS recalls, not the driveshaft recall. Now that I know there are recalls for two different things, I'm even more sure I need to find out if my vehicle is safe.

I thought there were 50,000... but you say 1,156. Is that still current or am I missing something?

I ask because we purchased Honda Civic 2012, that had just barely gotten to the dealership that day we bought it (May 12th) with 4 miles on the odometer total.

It is:
    4-door, Sedan
    Automatic

Does have some weird issues, like if you lean to far to the right while in the passenger seat, like trying to put your for head near the window, it brings up an airbag off light for that side and makes no sense.

The reason I leaned to the right while in the passenger side, is because I herd a very hard to hear clicking sound from the front of the car somewhere.. you could hear it well if the road was perfect and smooth and the area quiet so there is no interference with noises, and going about 20-30 miles an hour.

I really need to find out if my Civic is defective because I drive a daily rout that, if our vehicle stalled/lost control/became unable to stop/shut off, then there are over 30 cliffs along my route we could go flying hundreds of feet down, family and all.

Should I contact my dealership who I bought the car from? Or Honda directly?
  • Options
    chunnicuttchunnicutt Member Posts: 2
    The leaning to the right issue you mention is related to a safety feature for the passenger airbag. It takes a certain amount of weight to activate the front air bag. This is to prevent injury to children riding in the front seat in the event that the airbag deployed.

When you leaned over the weight shift on your seat probably caused the air bag off light to come on.

Happens when my 8 year old daughter rides in the front seat. She is not heavy enough to activate the airbag...
  • Options
    ozy12ozy12 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this issue or currently having? My 2012 Civic odometer just stopped diplaying the mileage. I wonder if this will also become a recall. I'm sure my warranty will cover the repaire.