Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Club Performance Mods

nismofreaknismofreak Posts: 120
edited April 10 in Nissan
Nismofreak is first! :-)

Does anyone one have any concrete information on the headers that Stillen is producing for the VQ motor? Also, will it be smog legal?

thanks!
'01 SE 4wd Auto <= just waitin' to be modded!

Comments

• phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    I got this funny impression you're going to be the performance mods king that all of us are going to follow :-)

I had the Stillen kit installed on my 99.5 PF LE. It was also a very tight fit. It took the Nissan mechanic 6 hours to install them both, and they ended up scratching up my fenders to boot (they had them re-clearcoated).
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Hey Phil,

How do mechanics scratch up your fenders installing an intake/exhaust kit?
    It was likely the header installation (the Stillen Stage III includes intake, headers and exhaust). They never came clean with an explanation, but I suspect it was a zipper or buttons on the guys coveralls as he spent most of the 6 hours halfway inside the engine compartment (the headers are pretty low down, especially on the driver's side). All I know is that a simple fender cover (isn't that standard practice at most dealerships?) would have saved both of us alot of aggravation.
    you're not helping me out here, phil. after an expensive detour into home theater, i finally saved up enough for a stage III kit for my 99.5 LE, and now you're telling me this. i was actually thinking about driving down to the Stillen shop in SoCal and having them do the install, that is, if i can get them to admit that it is possible to put the stage III kit on a 99.5 PF. we'll $ee . . .
  • Please... Please! PLEASE! Let us know prices, power, material type, etc. on the Stillen piece. Stillen is not know for producing the best performance parts for Nissan. Case in point, their header for the Sentra is the 3rd to 4th best out there. And they rarely develop anything themselves. They are kinda like...um...Micro$oft. :-)

thanks!
  • Would you be willing to do some research for the good of Pathy owners? :-)

I know the VQ35 is different from yours but if you know anyone who has one, have them go visit HotShot. They make the best CAI and header system for some Nissan cars. They are big on prototyping stuff that other won't touch. And I can guarrantee they will be cheaper than $tillen.

http://www.hotshot.com

thanks.

Stillen has quoted me around $1k for the kit, which includes intake, headers, and exhaust. Figure another $300 for labor, unless you feel inclined to do it yourself. For the 3.3L engine, performance gains are claimed to be 25 hp and ~19 ft-lb. Everything on the exhuast end is stainless steel. I realize that Stillen isn't the most highly regarded supplier, but it is one of the few producting parts for the PF (although you could never tell by browsing the site).

Here's a "review" of the kit on an older PF:

http://www.trucktrend.com/dec98/tuner/sti/sti_f.html

They were using a Dynomax Turbo muffler in my kit (Walker's performance line, actually a pretty nice muffler). It's aluminized steel...not stainless. The headers were very nice units, ceramic coated no less.
    i still don't know if i forgive you for trading in your 99.5 Stillen III for an '01 - you were my inspiration, man. these are hard times, seeing that 3.5L badge on the back and then finding a Gucci girl at the wheel . . .
    ...it was a tough decision. I would say it was the auto-4wd that swung me over to the dark side. I was getting sick and tired of forgetting to take it out of 4wd every time I got into the parking garage at work (the hopping turn usually gave it away).

The Stillen kit was a real head turner. You should have seen the grins on faces of friends and mechanics alike who would say, "I ain't never heard no Pathfinder sound like that before!". It was worth the price of admission.

BTW, what's the deal with Stillen playing down the kit for the 99.5-2000?
    what you mean. had a couple of scary moments when the rear end broke loose going up an icy mountain road - could have used that AWD system.

i don't know what Stillen's deal is on the Stage III kit, to be honest. last time i inquired about it, i was told that it would not fit 3.3Ls in the redesign. why an intake/exhaust kit would no longer fit a PF with a wider track and new sheetmetal - i have no idea, but that's what i was told. i haven't pressed the issue since, but perhaps i should before i get back that money i loaned to Uncle Sam.
    I just installed the K&N filter on my 2001 LE. Pretty straightforward. The gasket installation caught me off guard a bit. They include 2 gaskets to help keep the filter "snug" as it is slightly narrower than the stock filter. Did yours include these gaskets?
  • Phil47,
    Where did you get that filter? And >is< it the same one that fits old VG33 motor? I can't find anywhere that says that there is a K&N for the VQ35.

thanks.
    I picked it up at a place here in Calgary called "Parts Source". Their computer told them this filter was for the 2001 PF with the 3.5 L engine. The part number is 33-2031-2. I believe it is identical to the VG33 filter except it also comes with the gaskets I refer to above (they were definitely not part of the kit for my 99.5 PF LE). Hope this helps.
  • apb3apb3 Posts: 11
    Don't think I'll go the whole way with a Stillen fit, but am interested in fitting the K&N in my 98 Chilkoot PF. Is it the general agreement of all that this is a good idea?
  • These filters are a good idea. I am running that on both my race and street cars.

Phil47, I ordered my K&N today. There is a hold up on the order but I should be getting it in about 1.5 weeks. Did you notice a difference in throttle response?

apb3: How far are you planning on modding your truck? Just curious.
    ...I haven't driven my PF since the install last Friday. I'll let you know about perfomance and mileage changes soon.
  • I had realised that you >just< installed it! :-)

How many miles do you have on your LE? And have you gone synth oil yet?
    So far I've got 5000 km (3000 miles) of trouble free, fun-filled driving. I will be switching to synthetic oil eventually only because its low temperature flow characteristics are very important for winter startups in colder climates (like here in Calgary). I will switch at around 20,000 km (12,000 miles) as this was the mileage my dealer said the Nissan techs recommended for switching. They said that by this mileage the engine had fully broken-in (not just the initial break-in).
  • duperduper Posts: 127
    Anyone has input on how louder the noise will be? My friend's 93' 4runner makes high pitch noise when the air got suck in during acceleration.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.