Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1996 Chrysler Town & Country

onerchprkonerchprk Member Posts: 3
Hi, I have a question? Our 96 t and c went into limp mode a few days ago. We took it to Aamco (As they diagnosed it for free) and the guy stated we need a rebuild with the price tag of 1895.00. He also gave me 3 codes

I'm not 100% positive but i thought that the codes should start with a p?

Also the trans was rebuilt 14 months ago, the fluid is full and still pink. Is there something i should check/replace before i go out and spend almost 2 grand on it? Please help us out as we really cannot afford that. I am also mechanically inclined. Thank You

Comments

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A number of Chrysler's 1996 vehicles still used the OBD-I system, so Chrysler only had 2-digit codes at that time. (My 1996 Ram was the same.). OBD-II codes are usually P followed by a 4-digit number.

I can only find 53 for 1996... that's an internal computer failure. You can check the numbers yourself by cycling the ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On and watching the Check Engine light... it will flash in sequence.

36 would be 3 flashes followed by a pause, then 6 flashes. There is a 4-second pause between codes. A flash of "55" means it's done.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    I did that before i took it to Aamco. I only got 12 (Recent Battery Disconect) and 55 (End of Codes) I just got back in from doing it again and still only the two codes. I have not disconected the battery in over a week and still getting code 12 and have put at least 100 or more miles on it since and the van has been restarted at least 30 times since. Could this be a TCM or ECM :confuse: issue? Thank You
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Code 12 will stay visible for 50 ignition starts - it's not mileage based. Some of the major chain auto parts stores will also read codes for free; check with one (second opinion) and see if they get anything besides 12. If they don't, I wouldn't be too concerned about the computer.

As for the trans itself, I'd speak to whomever rebuilt it 14 months ago. If you were having any kind of major trans problems, the first thing to usually go is overdrive. I would also have the radiator and cooling system checked, as that can affect trans operation since the trans fluid cooler works in parallel with the radiator. An overheating condition could have caused the limp mode.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    Well the radiator is new also. I have no idea where the trans was rebuilt. So bassically if im getting no codes it is most likely the trans is shot? Thanks...