Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car overheated then shutdown

art78art78 Member Posts: 1
I have a 1997 Dodge Stratus (V6, 2.5L). A few days ago as I was driving home it overheated and shutdown. The following day I noticed it was leaking from around the crankshaft pulley. I removed everything to get access to the water pump that sits behind the timing belt. Once I removed the timing belt access covers I saw that the timing belt was severly damaged and the idler pulley had ball bearing falling out of it. I replaced the water pump, timing belt and idler pulley. I checked the oil for water and the oil was fine. I verified I could turn the crankshaft to ensure the engine wasn't ceased. I put everything back together but the engine won't start, it will turn over but won't start and you can hear a back fire when cranking the engine. I verified the Number 1 piston is at TDC when the crankshaft is at TDC. The right cam sprocket is under tension when it's aligned with the timing mark, but the left cam sprocket isn't under tension when aligned with the timing mark on the engine you can rotate it easily with your hand. I've also verified I have fuel getting to the engine and that I have spark on each cylinder. Any help would be appreciated I've been working on it off and on for 2 weeks now.